Completed The Butterfly

Pretty Boy tilted his head when he heard the shout. They needed to be quiet! What was she doing yelling? Was that thank you supposed to be for him? Was that the female he’d carried in his pouch or another female just yelling? Humans shouted for no reason sometimes. He resolved to ignore it and listen closer to what was happening. He pressed the side of his head against the door, listening closely.

Reginald was pulled away. He could hear him shuffling over the pews. He recognized the voice that came. That was the sire of the pup he’d saved. He had questions about the men who had tried to kill them...but Pretty caught his words. He’d only asked about the drow, Komodi, and dwarf. That meant he knew about the human. That the human might be inside with them.

Hahnah hate human. Target. Not you. Dwarf, lizard, black dead. Self defense. Black burned Pretty. Hurts. He wrote, and fed the paper back through the door. They didn’t have time for this!

Hahnah

Hahnah sat in the small nook of the leftside door and the jamb. Briefly looked down to the exit wound from Griffin's sword in her stomach--the strands of her Armor that had penetrated inside it were pulsating to the rhythm of her heartbeat. She went back to scanning the left church corner, the town square with its statue of Astra, the right church corner, and back. Keeping vigilant.

"How do you infect others with sin?"

"There you go. Speaking nonsense. What do you even mean by that?"

"You are a human--"

"Wrong."

"--and you and other humans have made others sin with you. It is the short one, the tall scaled one, the elf with the black skin, and Pretty Boy that you have made profane. They were not like you. They were not born with evil in their hearts. But you made them that way. You gave them evil to take into their hearts."

"You and that other monster are the only ones with evil in your hearts here."

"You are wrong."

"I doubt that."

"They were turned cruel by you. I was not turned cruel by you. I was turned into a cleanser of profane things, and they into protectors of profane things. I do good in the world."

"I can help you."

"What?"

"I can help you do good in the world."

"I do not want your help. You are profane."

"Aw, come on," Zael said mockingly. "This boar spear going right through your heart would do a lot of good for the world."

Hahnah, annoyed, went back to her question. "Answer me. How do you infect others with sin?"

* * * * *​

The parchment was pulled back through under the door. Shuffling as David moved away. A moment as it was read.

Their reactions could be heard. David let out a scornful laugh. Reginald sighed. Andrea with a wire thin and quavering voice, "W-What? Dead? Oh Astra, oh gods. Griffin, he-he didn't say that the others were dead!"

David. "That proof enough for you, Reginald?"

Reginald. Quiet and resigned. "I can only tell you what I have seen and what he did for me. I cannot explain why his behavior is so mercurial."

David again. "Well I'm not betting the life of my wife and my son and everybody else on 'mercurial.' Go get another goddamn parchment. No, nevermind, I'll use the back of this one. Get more ink."

Shuffling. David back on the other side of the door now. Steady, controlled breathing, but clearly with an undertone of anger.

A moment passed. And David spoke to Pretty Boy, "Self-defense. You say self. Defense. They were protecting us, from you. You came here. You followed us all the way from the Pond to Strathford. To do what? Break bread with us after you and that other one--what was her name, Hahnah--after you and Hahnah butchered my two brothers, my two good friends of twenty years, the orphan girl, our priest who never hurt a soul in his life, and my wife's mother? I've got Willem's widowed wife in here, his three sons and his baby girl in here. You want to write to them and tell them what you did their dad? Hmm?"

David huffed. Taking a second after his venting.

The parchment slid back out along the refreshed quill.

"Tell me why the hell we should trust you and not Griffin," David said.

Pretty Boy

Pretty huffed. Already bet life of puppy and mate on Pretty. Saved Mik Hale, saved you. Save mate. I think Griffin kill Hahnah family. Kill her sire. Kill her mother. Why she angry. Griffin hiding. Coward. Coward elf killer Griffin. He shoved the paper back through a little more instantly this time.

He hoped he was right. Why else would Hahnah react so strongly to Griffin and to no one else? Other humans were just evil things to be cleansed, but when she had seen Griffin her rage had exploded into a mad flame he couldn’t extinguish. He’d felt like that when hunters had killed his mate. He’d felt that way tearing a hunter’s guts out and eating him alive. He’d felt that rage before. It had to be Griffin. Griffin killed her family and she couldn’t let him go.

If they expelled Griffin from the church, if they showed that they cast out a human who butchered elves...maybe that would help her world view?

As for the pond he didn’t have much of an explanation. He didn’t feel emotional toward humans he didn’t know. Humans were food. Everything on two legs was food. He’d gotten swept up in Hahnah’s bloodlust and gotten carried away. He was determined not to let it happen again.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Hahnah
"Let me ask you something," Zael countered.

"Answer me."

Zael ignored her demand and just asked his question anyway. "Do you think I love my father?"

Hahnah said nothing.

"Now it's my turn to say: answer me."

"You do not love your father, nor does he love you. You are friends of convenience, so that you can engage in cruelty together on others. With no more others, no more elves, you will turn on each other. You will do this because cruelty is a part of you."

There was a pause. Long and drawn out for a stretched moment.

"Yes," Zael said, his voice heavy. "It is. It's a part of me and it's a part of you too. When I heard that you and that other monster killed my father, I thought of nothing else. Nothing else but killing you and killing that bear of yours. I'm still thinking about it now. I want to. I want to kill you so badly that it hurts me. And do you know what? I hate you. I. Hate. You. I hate what you've done to me. I just want it to stop...and I...I can't. I can't stop it. You're all that I think about. I'm killing you in my head over and over again and I can't...stop."

Hahnah said nothing. And her eye drifted down to her lap for a moment.

"I know you don't care. But...I had to tell someone. Might as well be you. Even if you are as cold as ice."

Hahnah's eye snapped back up. Gazing out to the statue of Astra--beyond it. The mile long stare of a startling realization. And a new intensity settled into her eye.

Hahnah dispelled her other Tendril and braced herself against the church door and the stone jamb and, once more, tried to stand. Her footing was good, her legs sturdy, the corner at her back supportive. She rose up carefully, slowly, not moving her head so fast. Fully erect now. She gradually let go of the door and the jamb, letting her hands slide down to her sides. She was standing under her own power. Still there was an uneasiness, her head feeling precariously unbalanced and her body's injuries aching, stabbing, or smoldering in their agonies.

She gingerly took a first step away from the church. And she could. So she took another. And still she stood. It was good. Her halo of Knives settled back behind her head, the sorcerous manifestations slowly spinning, dipping beneath her shoulders in their idle rotation and rising up above them again.

"Are you still there? Hey."

Hahnah replied without turning back to look. "I have a gift for you."

And she began to walk, half-limping, away from the church. Into the open town center. Her eye looked to the south.

* * * * *​

The parchment was yanked back in. A full minute passed as it was read, and re-read.

The door shook as David, fuming, punched it on the other side. "You think I already--!?"

Reginald spoke up. "David, please, you have to calm down."

An inhaling of breath. "You're right, Reginald. You're right." Then, David briefly spoke to Pretty Boy, "I never bet anything on you. I only had one good choice for me, Andrea, and Michael to live and I took it--trust had nothing to do with it. And I couldn't give a damn about what you think about Griffin. He came here to help us, and you and that Hahnah thing came here for something else. Something fucking else, alright."

"Let me try talking to him," Reginald said.

"Dad, no!" Andrea said, aghast.

Shuffling. David, nonetheless voicing his dissenting opinion, was moving away from the barricaded door. "I am not going to let that door be opened and have that animal out there pick and choose who lives and who dies. Mercurial. You said it yourself. That thing wanted to eat you before it set you free and it was the goddamn other one--pah, ironically enough--who stopped him. Don't forget that, Reginald."

A couple seconds passed, then Reginald, slightly farther from the door, said to Pretty Boy, "One moment. I must go and get new parchment and refresh the quill."

And Reginald could be heard stepping away.

Pretty Boy

Pretty Boy groaned and rested his head against the door. Humans. Always more interested in arguing than actually doing something. Didn’t they realize they didn’t have a lot of time before Hahnah recovered? It was either cower and die in the church,
or take a chance, and they’d rather argue until the choice was made for them. He sighed and pulled his head away from the door. They were going to die arguing. He tapped the door with a claw and scratched right into the stone outside.

Fine. Argue until she kills you.

He stepped away from the back door and gingerly traveled around to the front, looking for Hahnah. She was walking away. He couldn’t believe it. She was walking away? He tilted his head and slowly followed her from a distance. Had she realized the errors of her ways? Was she granting them mercy? Waiting until Griffin came out? Had her argument with that boy done anything? So many questions.

Pretty was still wary of her, and gave her a wide berth, but followed nonetheless.

Hahnah

• Yay
Those peering eyes in the mayor's manor saw Hahnah walking away from the church. Saw the creature the monster hunters called "the Dev" shortly after, following at a distance in her wake.

They started to talk among each other. Discussing what was the right call, the safest call, to make. The foremost question among them: Where the hell was Griffin and his hunters?

* * * * *​

Hahnah walked through the town. Down this dirt path. Down this paved road. Between these houses and those houses. She walked a route that was familiar. It was the route that she and Pretty Boy had taken to get to the town center. She was retracing her steps.

She walked slow and carefully. Stopping and listening. Turning her head as much as she felt comfortable and checking her corners and surroundings. Alert. Pretty Boy was out there. Griffin was out there. They both would try to strike at her like she struck at strong groups of humans. Her halo of twenty Knives went from a floating circle behind her head to a tightly-packed, rainbow-shaped arch that stretched from one shoulder to over her head and down to the other shoulder. When she needed to use her sorcery, she wanted every Knife available, and quickly. Griffin was fast and covert, Pretty Boy was large and hearty. She might need every last Knife.

Hahnah stopped briefly. Made a retching sound that was quite loud in the night's stillness. She bent forward slightly and globules of blood dripped from her mouth and splattered to the paved road she was on--wet smacking sounds as each hit. She listened as she wiped at her mouth. Glanced behind her. Then up and down the road. Satisfied, she continued.

And, eventually, she drew closer.

She heard the now roaring fire that had consumed no less than four houses now--the one that had been sparked by Griffin's awry fire potion hitting a thatch roof. The belching plumes of black smoke rose high into the night, just like they had in Elyr-Morath. She saved the elves there from humans. She did well that day. She would do well tonight too.

Hahnah arrived back at the dirt path at the southern periphery of Strathford, where the fight with the monster hunters had taken place. It looked different, awash now in the glow of the raging fires enveloping some of the houses, but everything was still in its place.

Hahnah saw the collapsed house. The spot where Sparrow had flew strangely and smacked into another house across the dirt path. There it was.

She went to the Repeating Crossbow and picked it up. Examined it. Yes, she remembered.

Then she turned. Looked around carefully. Listened. And made her way over to Falcon's corpse. This would be the difficult part.

She crouched down, and began examining his gear. Pausing, every now and then, to stop, look, and listen.

Pretty Boy

• Yay
Reactions: Pretty Boy
Pretty Boy followed carefully, and watched her. Sniffed at the blood she retched. He hated the house fire, and stopped. He wouldn’t get near it. He was afraid of it, afraid of the dripping flames that threw sparks onto the other buildings. He saw her pick up the crossbow. She wasn’t planning on breaking down the door. She was planning on using the hunters’ weapons against them!

He turned and ran back to the church. This time he didn’t need to fear her hearing him. He bellowed at the back door again. Out of time! They were out of time! He made a distressed noise, circling the church in an irritated fashion. They had to go! Had to go!

Pretty Boy tossed his head and crow hopped. Ran back to the back door. His back hurt and he was tired but he was trying. Oh HELL. He backed up, and slammed his head and tusks into the back door. It splintered. He grabbed loose boards in his teeth and pulled. He couldn’t get through but there was a hole now. He whined at them and looked behind him. Fire.

He didn’t force them, but backed up and waited for them, shaking his head. He wasn’t aggressive, but definitely distressed. He whined and circled again. They had to leave! Quickly! Now! These humans would argue for days if he let them!

He wrote in the dirt of the square. OUT OF TIME.

Hahnah

• Yay
Hahnah looked at all of the things attached to Falcon's vest. She felt around inside of his pockets. She toyed with each thing she found, scrutinizing the items closely, sniffing them, turning them this way and that, pressing them with her fingers in different places and in different ways. One of these had to be what she was looking for.

She tossed a few vials that each had different colored liquids in them. Some shattered without ceremony. Others upon shattering had a magical effect of some kind, but not the effect she was looking for. She threw some circular metal things made of silver, these neatly lodging into the walls of the wattle and daub houses. She found a slender tube on his belt that had strange paper with letters written on it wrapped around the tube. She shook it. Nothing happened, but it sounded like there was sand inside. She shook it harder. Then it made a noise and she twisted it lengthwise to look again and POP--a magical flare, blindingly radiant like the one that had illuminated the crop field, went rocketing down the dirt path and Hahnah yelped in surprise.

After some time, she found what she sought.

Falcon had some odd stones full of holes inside of a pouch on his belt. Hahnah took one out. Toyed with it, until a specific motion of her finger caused a blue rune to alight on the stone's porous surface. She tossed the stone.

And it exploded into a powerful blast of frost magic, turning the very dirt of the path to ice where the explosion had happened.

Hahnah smiled. And took the pouch from Falcon's belt.

She had what she needed.

She stood. Walked.

* * * * *​

It took Reginald a moment to return to the back door. He said something that went missed as Pretty Boy circled the church. Reginald, initially confused, did hear the crow hopping of the devourer outside, so knew that he had come back around. "There you are," he said. "I was wondering what happened. They said you might--"

The back door splintered. Reginald, pressed up against it, was knocked into the barricading pews and nearly toppled over. And the very sound of the door being battered sent a sharp wave of terror through the scores of people inside, and loud screams went up and panicked children began to cry or to ask their mothers taut questions that they could not answer in truth.

As the broken pieces of the door started to come loose from Pretty Boy's efforts, David shouted, "REGINALD, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THERE! SPEARS! WE NEED SPEARS IN THE BACK HALL NOW!"

Reginald, immediately starting to do what David had said and climbing back over the barricading pews, stopped when Pretty Boy whined. Looked back. Confusion on his face are he was trying to understand. "What...what are you--?"

David came barreling out of the short back hall and into the priest's quarters, the room the back door opened up into. He grabbed Reginald by the scruff of his shirt and all but hauled him off the barricading pews and away from the broken back door.

Reginald, as he was being forcibly led away through the back hall, said, "I need a moment, David, just give me a moment to--"

David disregarded him. Said to the spear-wielding men at the end of the back hall protecting the way into the nave as they passed, "Watch for magic, the other one has magic!"

With no one close to the back door and the hole, no one could see what was written in the dirt outside.

* * * * *​

Phari Ilmarion was a young elf. The fastest sprinter in all of Strathford, she was called. She was, in fact, the runner who had gone to deliver Strathford's plea to Griffin's monster hunters days ago. She had taken refuge with the half of Strathford's population that was holed up in the mayor's manor.

The people inside had come to a decision. One that was helped, in part, by one of their number taking matters into his own hands--for purely selfish reasons--and unbarricading the back door of the manor so he could leg it. There was a reluctance in the air as brittle as cracked glass, and then others followed his lead. Soon, a certain mentality overcame those inside and everyone, regardless of their initial feelings, began to spill out of the back of the manor and into the night.

Phari, among a few others, realized they needed to tell the others holed up in the church. Even if the church had windows low enough for its occupants to look out of, the back of the manor was obstructed from view--they wouldn't see everyone in the manor fleeing to the north if even with such windows. So Phari volunteered to run over there and tell them. No one knew how long the two monsters would be gone, but now that they had dispensed with Griffin's plan and were committed to running, they needed to get away. Get away, and fast. Every second counted.

She sprinted. Sprinted with the powerful stride of her long legs toward the church. The back door. The back door would be best, even if it wasn't as wide. Quicker to get open, and if the monsters came back, they'd probably be near the front of the church.

Then she turned the corner around to the backside of the church.

Saw one of the monsters there. The BIG ONE. Right there close to the door. It had come back!

"Ahhhhhh!" Phari planted her feet on the ground and slid and toppled backward onto her rear end. "No. No. No!" She said, turning around and scrambling frantically to get onto her feet again and to try to run back toward the manor.

Pretty Boy

Pretty bellowed for them. No no no! Wrong door! Wrong door! He whined loudly, leveraging his tusks against the door to try and pry more boards off. He stuck his nose into the hole and lowed like a distressed cow. Reginald had tried to understand! Pretty had seen him! He’d tried! It was that stupid male. He hoped he hadn’t passed those genes on to Michael or none of them would make it past fifty.

He heard running feet, and pulled his head back out. Just in time to see the elf plant on her rear. Oh! Oh thank the gods, someone who could speak. He hurried over to her and snatched her by the belt, grabbing her as gently as he could. He held her aloft in the air, and carried her over to the church. Pushed her at the big hole he’d made and lowed at her again. He wiggled his short tail appealingly. She had to talk sense!

He hurried over to his words and stomped next to them. Out of time! She knew what that meant right? Out of time meant run! He whined and crow hopped, looking at her. If she didn’t move, he’d pick her up and shove her through the hole. She had to get the others moving and now!

Hahnah

• Yay
Phari yelped when her belt was grabbed and she was plucked off of the ground, struggling in a feeble attempt to get herself loose. "Don't hurt me, don't hurt me," she squeaked.

The thing. Th-th-the thing, the monster was carrying her toward the back door. There was a hole. There was something written, scratched into the low stone porch before the door. The monster dropped her down by the hole and she immediately shriveled up against the remains of the wood, her fair skin gone practically white with fear. Its tail was wiggling but all Phari could see were those big tusks, that terrifying mouth lined with teeth, the disturbing lack of eyes, and the sheer mass of the monster.

"Astra, Astra, help..." she said, her voice like a stretched cord ready to snap.

From inside, David called, "Phari? Phari Ilmarion? Is that you?"

"Y-Yes, it's me!"

"What in Metisa's name are you doing out there??"

"I-I came to--"

The monster was stomping on the ground. She yelped and her heart nearly burst with terror but then she saw something. Words. In the dirt. Her lips quavered as her brow twisted.

"Wh-Who wrote that?" Phari said, calling into the church but not taking her eyes off of Pretty Boy.

"Who wrote what?" David called back.

"There's s-something written outside. Did someone already run from here?"

"No! Nobody ran! Get your ass in here!"

Reginald peeked past the spearmen in the back hall. Called to Phari and spoke quickly, "He can write! The beast can write! He wrote that! What does it--"

"FATHER, PLEASE!" Andrea, loud enough to be heard from the nave beyond the back hall.

Phari glanced to the words in the dirt and broke her gaze from Pretty Boy to look inside the church through the hole in the door. "Out of..." She glanced around beneath herself and scooted and saw the words written into the stone porch. Her eyes darted side-to-side rapidly as the two messages worked themselves together in her mind.

"She's coming!" Phari yelled into the church. "Th-Th-The one with the orange eyes! Is Griffin in there??"

"No!" David called back. "We thought he was with you in the manor!"

Phari clutched her head and let a strained groan. "Ahhhh! Nevermind! Mister Longfield, we're running! Everybody in the manor is running! I came to get you!"

"What?" David said, and there were was a sudden chorus of murmurs behind him.

"We're all running! We don't know what happened with Griffin, we're just running! We have to go now!"

"Where's the monster?" David called. "The big one that writes, where is it?"

"He's, uh...heh heh," Phari cast a pale, nervous glance from the hole in the back door over to Pretty Boy, then said quickly and sheepishly. "He's right here."

There was a lot of chatter inside the church's nave, and David took a moment to call back to Phari. "Tell it to get the hell away from the door and the church! Tell it to do that now!"

Phari, slightly puzzled amidst her fear, said, "Um...c-can he hear me? I don't see any ears--"

"YES!" Both Reginald and David called back to her.

Phari then looked to Pretty Boy, a rivulet of sweat running down the side of her forehead to her cheek. "I, um...they asked if you could kindly move away from the church. P-Please."

* * * * *​

From the south, Hahnah was slowly making her way back.

Pretty Boy

• Yay
Pretty boy watched them argue. More damn arguing. Two-legs were the dumbest smart people he’d ever seen in his life. What animal could dam up entire lakes and make buildings taller than trees, yet when their lives were in danger sat around and pissed about? He huffed at them, at the elf who was afraid of him. Elves were delicious, yes, but he’d made the decision to help them, and this girl was the only one who seemed to be knitting together the pieces.

When she shouted that the orange one was coming, Pretty bobbed his head up and down violently. Yes! She was coming and they had to run! He whined and ran down the steps to his words, slapping the ground. What did they think ‘Out of Time’ meant? Sit and build a decision making group?

He had to buy these really, really dumb creatures time. He took off from the back door around to the front, and looked around. Think, think...

He would have to stall. He roared, and rested up on his hind legs. Maybe...he had an idea. He sat still, sitting down, and waited for Hahnah.

Hahnah

• Yay
"He's gone! H-He's gone!" Phari called into the church.

"Alright, alright," David said. To everyone in the nave he shouted, "We're leaving! We don't know what happened to Griffin, so we're leaving! Everyone in the mayor's manor is already going! Get ready!" Then to the spearmen, "With me. We have to get those pews out of the way. And keep those spears handy when we're outside."

The men hurried into the priest's quarters. Dragged the pews off to the far side of the room and suitably cleared the way for the back door to be exited out from. Phari led the stream of people filing out of the church's back door to the mayor's manor, to the back side of that building, and toward the north end of town where the other half of Strathford already had quite the headstart. David stayed inside the church ushering his fellow townsfolk through, telling Andrea to take Michael and to get moving ahead. She protested, but Reginald (with a smile of quiet satisfaction) got her going. David was the last to leave the church, and took up the rear of the stream of fleeing townsfolk.

Or so he thought.

Almost everyone in the church had gone. Almost. All except one. Who had hid during the commotion and during the bottleneck at the back hall.

And he waited. Hidden in the nave of the church.

* * * * *​

Hahnah had to stop. Blood dribbled from her lips and she dropped the Repeating Crossbow and fell to her knees on a paved road. She clasped her hands tightly together and turned her face skyward toward the stars and prayed.

"Have I done well?"

Only the stillness of night. The crackling of the house fires to the south behind her.

"Have I done well?"

Nothing but the pale shine of the moon down on her face.

"Have I done well?"

She hoped as she always hoped for an answer. None came. But that was okay. She could continue to try and do well, to fulfill the purpose revealed to her. And if she did enough good, she trusted with all her heart that her prayers would one day be answered. Enough...enough good...

Maybe...when she killed Griffin...the one who got away...

The Dying God would answer.

Hahnah grabbed the Repeating Crossbow. Stood. Considered her fortune that she had not been attacked while she prayed. And then started to lurch northward toward the town center again.

Pretty Boy

Pretty watched the townsfolk leave. Good. He wished they had the brains to cover themselves in dirt to hide their scents, but he could teach them that later. He bellowed and wandered back and forth in front of the church, as though still trying to get them to leave. He shouldered the door and roared at it, scratching messages he knew she couldn’t read.

He pushed the front doors. Why did it still smell like there was one in there? There wasn’t any time to check. He’d done all he could, and it was their responsibility to get their own herd under control. He could smell the fire getting more intense. It was starting to cover the scents...which might actually help the town. He might have to follow them out, and make sure that young roan knew to leave them alone. She was just young and reckless enough to try and picking off the older like she would do with any other herd.

Pretty used to think of humans that way...he had at the Pond, but talking with them was beginning to change him. They were stupid, and did a lot that made no sense. But they did care about each other.

He cared for Hahnah too, but he didn’t understand her crusade. She labeled them all as evil...and Pretty was sure some of them were. But the pup wasn’t. Reginald he was fairly sure wasn’t.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
Time passed. It had been minutes since David had heralded the end of the stream of fleeing townsfolk from the church, all of whom had taken flight to the north and into the moonlit dark.

Then, from the south. The glimmer of white, black, and maroon sorcery. The blaze of an orange eye.

Hahnah stepped along a paved road between two shops, coming into the town square. To the west and across the square and down the short stone walkway through its narrow lawn, Pretty Boy, by the church's front doors.

Hahnah said nothing. There was nothing to be said. Pretty Boy was possessed of sin, seeping with profanity, and he would kill again. Maybe some other humans, yes, as humans themselves would do on occasion, for cruelty did not even spare the cruel. But he would go into Falwood with that sin of which he had been infected, the evil now nesting in his heart. He would kill elves--the good elves. He would try to kill Hahnah herself again, here and now.

If she let him. If.

The moment she saw him, she pointed the two fingers of her left hand at him. Three Knives launched from her halo, one after another, each flying in slightly different straight line trajectories. With the speed of loosed arrows they flew, and if any of them touched in part or in whole some organic matter of Pretty Boy's body the magic would consume it--the limiting factor being the size of the Knife itself.

If she killed him, than all would be well.

If she merely made him move, then it was less ideal. But she could save some strength and magic for Griffin and the rest of the humans once she breached the doors of the church. And (to Hahnah's chagrin) the cramped and narrow confines of a man-made building could be exploited against her foes.

Pretty Boy

• Cry
Pretty Boy didn’t want to hurt Hahnah. He thought her mad with pain. He’d seen such things before. Wolves and coyotes gone so mad with the agony of their wounds that they killed anything and anyone in their way. She was missing an eye, burned, and dying. Pretty had only struck her to bring her to a healer. Instead she was now hell bent on killing him, believing him to be stained with ‘sin’. It was clear she couldn’t explain this sin, or provide any proof the people of the town had committed it.

He had done wrong attacking those people at the pond with her. He’d been hungry, and riled up by her talk, and eager to make a friend. He’d wanted a friend and companion so badly, like he’d always been told he’d find. But Hahnah didn’t care one whit for him. She hadn’t helped healed his burn. She hadn’t even stayed true to her words. He had carried her, fought beside her, and she’d called him good. But the second he disagreed with her, he was evil and sinful.

It hurt him. She didn’t hunt to find the people who had killed her family. She didn’t hunt for food like he did. She had no lines whatsoever.

Pretty stood his ground. She wouldn’t realize he didn’t want to kill her. The second she saw him, he saw her arm move. He’d seen how she attacked. Those knives would come for him, and he easily backed up behind the corner of the church for protection. He whined to her. Please, please. Stop this.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
The three Knives dissipated once they struck the stone of the church's facade. Hahnah did not launch any more. He was surprisingly agile for a creature his size, dodging like some of the humans she had fought in the past; she had been right not to try launching her magic at him when her vision was blurred after his attack. It would have left her defenseless, and he would have finished her then. A close range barrage, aided by the consuming sweeps of her Tendrils once she manifested them again, would be the way to slay him.

But Pretty Boy was not her primary concern.

The elves stained with sin were not her primary concern.

Even the humans inside the church were not her primary concern.

Griffin. Him, above all others. And though there was the lingering and pervasive smell of many humans around the town square, she knew--she had utterly convinced herself--that he was among them.

Hahnah limped across the town square. Past the statue of Astra with her benevolent hands. Toward the church. She stood at the place where the short walkway met the cobbles of the square and looked to the door, with the occasional glance off to the corner behind which Pretty Boy had gone. He made a noise at her.

Hahnah set Falcon's pouch down at her feet. She crouched down. Three Froststones inside. She plucked one out and stood and rubbed the stone with her thumb and the blue rune alighted.

Then she said to Pretty Boy, as her eye settled on the church doors. "I will still keep my promise to you." Then, after a second's consideration, she clarified, "I will still keep my first promise to you. I will kill Reginald."

And she wondered, briefly, if it had indeed been Reginald who infected Pretty Boy with sin. It made sense. She did not know how it worked, and Zael hadn't explained, but Pretty Boy had gone from doing good at the Pond to sinning after those days in which Reginald was with them. Maybe it was selfish to keep Reginald alive, to stop Pretty Boy from eating him back there at the Pond. Maybe it all would have been different.

Maybe.

She threw the Froststone at the doors, and it exploded as it had before, freezing solid the wood and the metal in a torrent of cold magic. Hahnah hefted up the Repeating Crossbow. Cranked the lever backward and then forward in the manner that Sparrow had. Awkwardly pressed the stock to her injured shoulder, wincing, and aimed. And she fired. The bolt transformed while in flight into the large stone, and it slammed into the brittle ice. There came a shattering and ice toppled free, spilling down to the ground and morphing back into chunks of wood and metal as the magic left them.

Severe damage had been done to the door. One more. One more Froststone and Crossbow shot would break it down.

She crouched again. Picked up and activated another Stone and threw it. Reloaded the Crossbow, unsure if it would even fire again or if did not have any more projectiles inside of it. But it did fire, and the transformed stone battered the iced remains of the thick church doors and both doors--what was left of them--hung limply on their damaged hinges. There were pews up against where the doors had been, but the way inside was open.

And outside at the walkway, Hahnah could not see anyone inside. Yet.

"If they were without sin, then they would not have been placed in my path," she said aloud.

A brief glance to the corner where Pretty Boy had gone. Then one about of her surroundings, in the case that Griffin might have hidden better than she thought. But it did not seem so. She dropped the Repeating Crossbow.

And took a step toward the church.

* * * * *​

Zael, hidden behind a pillar in the nave, clutched his boar spear.

And readied himself to avenge his father.

To finally make the cruel thoughts plaguing his mind stop.

Pretty Boy

Pretty Boy knew then that she wouldn’t stop, but the gods had seen fit to sweep the humans away from her path. Hopefully they would know to keep moving, and move quickly. Thankfully she didn’t pursue him behind the corner of the church, but instead...the stone around it became horrifically cold. He stepped back with a startled snort. Magic.

The crossbow. She knew how to use it. Weaponry. He waited until she had stepped inside the church and seized the crossbow, trotting away from her and shaking it in his teeth. He bashed it against the statue of Astra, and clenched the wood in his teeth until it shattered. No one would use that evil thing ever again. He tossed it away, spitting bits of wood, and looked back at the church. Hahnah was inside. She would see fairly soon that the humans had left.

Unless there were some still cowering inside. He ran to the back of the church and squeezed through the back door. It definitely wasn’t made for someone of his bulk, and he had to wiggle a bit. Once inside he realized how cramped it was. Pews piled up to one side or destroyed by the door. He was in one of the smaller cells for worship, which housed the back door, and he slowly made his way to the nave.

Pretty didn’t like the open space but he did see the human. What in...why hadn’t he gone?! He was a juvenile, that was why. Pretty huffed to himself. Juveniles were always the most trouble. Their balls dropped and they figured that added weight to their brains. Pretty slowly slid behind the columns, behind Zael. The young man had his focus on Hahnah. He had to get his attention, without getting hers.

Pretty reached out with a paw and touched his hip. He needed to leave, now. He didn’t dare make a noise, but he picked up one of the broken bits of wood and tossed it across the nave, letting it clatter along the transcept.

He had to get this stupid pup out of there.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
Hahnah entered the nave. She had to climb over the barricading pews at the front doors to do it, but she was inside now. She heard Pretty Boy's approach from around the corner, but, strangely, it was not to try to pursue her inside. He attacked the Crossbow, and then went elsewhere.

A Tendril of Elemental Hatred slithered out of her right palm as she regarded the interior of the nave. And the growing realization dawned on her. The immense quiet of the nave. The stillness. No one was in here.

She was so sure. She had been so sure. That they were here. That HE was here. Dismay made her head swoon, her pupil narrow, her free hand rise up and clutch the side of her face that still had hair dangling about it. A shivering gasp escaped her throat.

Something. Moving. She shifted her attention.

She first heard, then saw Pretty Boy enter the nave at the opposite side, his massive size clear to be seen beyond the pews and columns.

"Where are they!?" she shouted. "Where is he!? Where--?"

More noise. Close. Very close. Off to her right. The sound of running footsteps.

* * * * *​

Zael held his breath as his slim form stood as still as the statue of Astra. He knew that she would be coming in from the front, and so had chosen his hiding spot accordingly. Under the barricading pews would not have worked, so that left either the leftside or rightside pillar closest to the front doors. And with his back to the rightside pillar he waited in ambush.

What he didn't expect was the other monster, having apparently gotten in through the back. A slight glance to his left and he saw "Pretty Boy" there, trying to creep toward him, as if that huge bulk was suited for such. Zael knew he couldn't possibly taken on both monsters at once, but it didn't matter. He didn't need to. He only needed to kill one: Hahnah. The one who had killed his father. And he would have plenty of time to do it before that big one came rushing at him.

Especially now that Hahnah was shouting at Pretty Boy, eyes (or eye, as it was) focused down the length of the nave instead of to her immediate right.

So Zael leaped from his cover before Pretty got anywhere close to him--his chance, now or never.

* * * * *​

Zael charged, spear lifted for a great thrust. Hahnah glanced his way, and a Knife flew free from her halo. Sailed toward him.

And dissipated harmlessly on contact with his skin. Shards of white, black, and maroon magic went careening with no effect off the side of his head and scattering into the air before disappearing entirely.

Hahnah's eye widened. Her shoulders hitched up and she drew in a breath as she turned to face the charging Zael. Utter shock.

"You're not hu--"

Zael's spear plunged deep into Hahnah's chest, and he drove her down to the ground. Her Living Armor was completely inert; unbeknownst to Hahnah, it had intentionally done nothing to protect her in that moment. Hahnah hit the solid floor of the church flat on her back, the wind knocked out of her lungs. Her entire remaining halo of Knives dissipated as well on contact with the floor.

Zael stomped a foot down on her gut, driving the heel of his shoe into the exit wound there, Hahnah's face a sheer grimace of pain. Zael stood with his foot atop her, his spear plunged down into her chest, like some manner of hero in the triumphal depiction of the slaying of a mythical beast.

"I told you. Only half," he said.

(чи ч бас)

...Came a deep, eldritch voice from inside the very core of Hahnah's heart, those words echoing up through her very blood and pulsing through her veins and thundering within the darkest recesses of her mind and in those words, those three words, was held the wondrous and infinite depths of divinity, with all of its splendors and all of its horrors, the colossal grandeur which the mortal mind could not possibly fathom, the overpowering rapture that was the terribly arresting and euphoric feeling of awe in its truest sense.

Hahnah shuddered violently. Her eye looking past Zael. Beyond.

"Hans Longfield," said Zael, speaking quickly, knowing that his time was short before Pretty Boy would be upon him. "I want my father's name to be last thing you remember before you die. Hans! Longfield!"

Hahnah's Living Armor began to act then. Stretching and slithering up the shaft of the spear and entwining fiercely around Zael's foot, his ankle, the black strands swirling and twisting up and around his shin.

Pretty Boy

Last edited:
Why was she shouting at him? She hated him now, or so Pretty thought. Was this just another manifestation of her madness? He had to get to that pup and run, but it was slowly dawning on him that something else was happening. He saw the pup leap, spear raised, and in that moment he saw the hunter again, lunging for his Cassia and putting the spear straight through her mouth. Men with weapons. Weapons infected two legs somehow, and made them liable to kill anything in their path. They just made bigger, and nastier, and crueler weapons...there was no peace once those strange long appendages picked up a haft and crafted it into death.

It was different somehow than his own weaponry, or Hahnah’s. Nature had given them their forms and weapons. Their weapons were a part of them, and used in hunting. Hahnah was just...pain mad and searching for Griffin. Anything that obstructed that goal would die.

The problem was hideously complex...especially for a Devourer. He’d never encountered this sort of moral quandary and he didn’t want to ever again. The pup had attacked first. He’d hidden here with the intention of trying to kill Hahnah and spurring her rage. The half-elf was just as full of hate, and as Pretty Boy watched, he speared Hahnah through the chest. Slammed her to the floor, and stood atop her as though death was some great achievement to be praised. As though exchanging hate for hate would do anything.

It made him angry. It made him angry no one listened to him or understood him. Hahnah had tried before pain had made her mad. Yes, she was mistaken. Yes, he had made mistakes on her behalf. Yes, she would kill him.

But he would refuse to kill her. That was how this cycle stopped. Someone had to sit down and say enough.

Pretty slammed into Zael’s back, and hooked the boy with a set of tusks between his legs and against his belly. He planted both paws and lifted up and to the side, throwing him away from Hahnah. He grabbed the spear in his teeth, and pulled it free from her. Snapped it. Destroyed what he could.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
Zael grunted when Pretty Boy slammed into his back, and he let out a gasp when he felt himself be lifted. And he was not the only one. Hahnah, still bound at the stomach to Zael's foot, ankle, and shin by her Living Armor, was thrown away with him. Together they tumbled through the air, Zael's grasp on the impaling spear gone when the shaft struck the floor while they were in flight and the weapon was wrenched free of Hahnah's chest, tearing flesh away as it went and clattered to the aisle. Zael's landing was haphazard, his face striking the edge of a pew and knocking a couple of teeth loose, these bouncing along the floor. The back of Hahnah's skull hit the smooth stone of the church floor with a hard WHOP as the two of them collapsed together in a tangled heap.

Zael, with a curtain of blood beneath his lower lip, with his foot still stuck by the grasping strands of Hahnah's Armor and bound to her stomach, with an eye cast to Pretty Boy as his weapon was destroyed, still did not relent.

He scrambled. Got on top of Hahnah, mounting her as best he could as the strands of Living Armor slithered further up his leg, his thigh, his groin, down his other leg and up his torso. Teeth clenched, he punched down with all of his strength, battering Hahnah's face with each blow. She did not move. Her eye was not open.

"HANS! LONGFIELD!" Zael shouted as he beat her.

But still her Living Armor acted of its own accord. Stretching far beyond what should have been physically possible. Manifesting more of itself. Black strands connecting and entwining between Hahnah's legs, Zael's legs, his back, like a pit from which was erupting an endless stream of serpents. Yet all of the disparate strands were slowly coming together.

Beginning to form something that looked strangely like...

A cocoon.

Zael kept striking Hahnah, his fury and his hatred undeterred as his lower body and hers were disappearing in the entombing black. But underneath the skin of Zael's arms, his chest, his neck, his face, something--somethings--long and slender, visibly slithered, like burrowing creatures unseen beneath a fabric of flesh.

Pretty Boy

Pretty Boy winced. He hadn’t meant to throw both of them. She seemed to be tied to him by her armor, that was swiftly overtaking them both. Pretty spat pieces of the weapon out and gingerly watched Zael struggle up and punch her. Hahnah’s living armor was consuming the lower half of his body, and the fur on the back of Pretty’s neck rose. It was like watching some large beast crash to the earth. He couldn’t tear his sight away from them.

Hatred was what had borne Hahnah. He watched the something’s slither under his skin, watched Zael mad with hatred and grief, and realized something. Hahnah had been something else. Hatred had made her into what she was. Hatred had given her those burning eyes and that living armor.

There couldn’t be another of her. Not another blind force of destruction. He was the only one who could stop it. He charged Zael, crashing through pews, and seized the half elf’s head in his teeth. He fully intended to crush his skull. There couldn’t be another Hahnah. He had to stop it. He bit down. Hard.

Hahnah

• Bless
Zael's head popped in Pretty Boy's maw. The boy's skull giving easily, bone shattering, blood and viscera spilling like juice from a crushed melon. And that was it.

And as the boy's body went limp, it collapsed on top of Hahnah. Black strands of her Living Armor wriggled from inside the stump of his neck, like a host of insectoid antennae poking out of a hole.

Still Hahnah did not move, and her eye did not open.

The cocoon made from her expanding Armor wrapped about her torso, Zael's torso, binding them together now on the outside as well as on the inside. The strands of her Armor began to creep up her neck, to envelop her face, to slither into her own mouth and nostrils and deep into the socket missing an eye.

It was nearly complete.

Pretty Boy

Pretty Boy spat out the head as soon as he saw the strands wiggling from his neck. Then they wrapped around Hahnah, enclosing her, protecting her, perhaps. He tilted his head, knowing better than to touch that cocoon. She was as still as the dead. He hesitantly backed up, then ran out of the door of the church. He would return for her, but right now...he had a chore. He went back to the komodi’s body, and stopped. The roan devourer from earlier had it half-eaten, his belly torn open and most of his organs gone. She swallowed down the arm in her mouth and eyed him. Pretty needed him.

He was bigger. He put a paw on the Komodi and bared his teeth at her. She backed down, knowing better than to challenge him, and he grabbed the body in his teeth. He headed back to the church, and began wiping away the scents of the humans. He smashed the Komodi to the ground and wiped him back and forth as though he were a rag he were cleaning the floor with. He made a large circle around the town square, making sure she had no leads as to where the humans had gone.

The roan looked a bit miffed he was using perfectly good meat to...she wasn’t sure what he was doing. She huffed at him. Figures a big male would take her dinner and use it for a toy. She did smell more food though. Blood, from inside the church. She slid inside, determined not to let the large male take another from her. A half-crushed head she scooped up and swallowed down, not a far distance from...what was that?

She walked up to the cocoon and smacked it with a paw, backing up quickly.

Pretty had disguised the humans’ trail as best he could. Spreading ashes and dirt over it, using the komodi in the square, and releasing some chickens he found. The mere sight of the big predator sent them mad with fear, and they would further disguise the scent. Good. He grabbed one of the hens on second thought. It could be a while before Hahnah woke.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo
By the time the roan was inside the church, the cocoon was fully formed. Larger than it had been when Pretty Boy had left. It was pulsating--faintly. Each individual black strand of Armor moving slowly over one another, like a bed of worms slowly, slowly crossing over each other's slithering, undulating form.

Two long tendrils formed by braided strands of Armor had already wrapped around two of the nearby pillars in the church's nave. And two more tendrils, these at the foot end of the cocoon rather than the head end, were forming. Extending. Short and stubby things now, they were slowly elongating.

The cocoon did not seem to react to the roan.

It carried no scent, and the feel of it was akin to a thick bundle of spider silk.

Pretty Boy

• Bless
Pretty came back to the church, swallowing down the hen he’d caught. Hahnah was deeply inside her cocoon...and the roan was messing with it. It had no scent, so the young female played with it, smacking it and playing with the short tendrils on the ground. Pretty chased her out of the temple with smart nips to her rear, punishing her like she was still a pup. She didn’t know better, but there was no way of knowing if Hahnah would wake up and kill someone who was only curious.

Pretty set about finding the humans. He took a winding route, confusing even the roan who gave up trying to follow him. Thankfully the humans weren’t that hard to find. He picked up Reginald’s scent and followed it. The least they could do was see to his back after all that.

He kept a fair distance when he found them, making a loud lowing noise at the group. It wasn’t aggressive, but he needed a healer’s hands. His back wept with plasma and blisters from the burn. He looked out for Reginald, lifting his chin and sniffing around for the man. He had much more sense than the young male, David. He’d watch to make sure Hahnah awoke, and speak with her, but he desperately wanted his back looked at.

Surely they had a salve or something? Humans were always ferreting away bits of useful things.

Hahnah

• Cthuloo