Private Tales Tales of a Backwater Knight and a Mage-in-Training

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Llewen Merrick

The Last Lord of House Merrick
Character Biography
Link
It was an impossible situation; the extortion by House Galentor lay before Llewen on a series of documents on the large table of the Great Hall of Castle Merrick, the entryway into the small wooden castle that marked the small estate of House Merrick. Next to him stood his advisor, the gristled old knight Landis of the now-destroyed House Talion, watched over him as he did so, sharing the young lord's anxiety surrounding their newfound situation. The castle was otherwise fairly empty; most of Llewen's men were out securing money with various odd jobs or protecting the peasants as they went to the capitol to trade. Yet no matter how Llewen split the budget, it seemed impossible to pay the extortion as well as his men, both of which would lead to his destruction, not to mention the longer-standing issue of needing to pay his dues in full to Lady Helia, Princess of Mardania, who despite her coldness had granted him a generous pardon.

The very world seemed turned against him, bent on his destruction. He had no friends to turn to but for the small group of outcasts he had gathered as a result of the fliers he had posted on various roads throughout Mardania--the same fliers were doubtless the reason House Galentor had found his castle, thereby allowing them to extort him and by extension his people. Yet what proof did he have to bring before the princess? She was cold and pragmatic, and herself was likely using him to further her own ends, counting on his loyalty when it mattered... and only paying a small price for it as well.

Only 6 months it had been since that fateful meeting. Yet it seemed years had passed since he had traveled to Mardal, the city that seemed to have been built by giants, whose presence cast a long shadow over the surrounding lands. Not long enough to deter the more ambitious lords of the realm though, unfortunately--those with soldiers, plentiful resources, and the ability to exert their influence at every opportunity... though he was humble from his mother's teachings, Llewen found himself growing ever more hungry for the power of station, of status, and money... the power which was denied him due to his father and mother's untimely deaths at the hands of orcs.

His thoughts were interrupted as one of his men, a scruffy former poacher by the name of Vargas, entered the Great Hall with a companion in tow.

"Milord, this one came about the fliers," he said, shortly before leaving. Such courtesy--or lack thereof--was common in the castle; there was work to be done, and no time to waste on formalities.

Llewen turned to face the newcomer, expecting another refugee or former criminal, and perhaps not expecting who had actually arrived. He stood up, his simple faded green tunic un-wrinkling as he did so. Llewen was young in the face, but his expression was austere, something he'd had to do more since taking up the mantle of lord.

"Tell me, who approaches Lord Merrick? Speak quickly, for I have little time to bandy words when much remains for me to do this day."

Sandra Teek

A tall middle aged dark haired man dressed in light hunting leathers and a brown cloak and hood stood beside a young girl in a black travelers cloak and hood, which she reluctantly pulled back on the urging of the middle aged man that was apparently her father.

The man stepped forward and bowed to the young lord, apparently slightly nervous since their visit appeared to be an imposition to him, even moreso than the girl beside him who seemed ready to shrink into herself if anymore eyes landed on her than necessary.
She also bowed in a polite curtsey, but didn't make eye contact or raise her head, trying to hide her face behind her hair.

The father spoke for them.
"My lord Merrick. I am Daniel Teek, and this is my daughter, Sandra. We have come in response to your advertisement requesting tradesmen for Castle Merrick."
He straightened to look Llewen in the eye, not defiantly but as a form of respect.
"I am a hunter, butcher and woodsman by trade. And my daughter..."
He indicated the shy creature that seemed to find her own shoes absurdly interesting at the moment.
"... Is hoping to one day study at the School of Script in Mardus. She is an enchanter, m'lord."

The man drew himself up slightly.
"We offer our services to you, Lord Merrick. In hopes that you are as wise and benevolent as your father before you, and that you can use our services to bring Castle Merrick and its lands prosperity and good fortune."

Sandra was no more than sixteen years old. Already a woman by some standards, but she was incredibly pale and frail for many her age. From behind the strands of her hair she peeked out at the Lord Merrick like a shy child she was.

Just being around this many people was causing her to panic!
It had to be done, but she didn't see why she couldn't just wait in some secluded corner where no one was looking at her while her father worked everything out.

As it was, she stood rooted to the spot. She doubted she could run now anyways, even though she REALLY wanted to. Her crippling social anxiety had indeed crippled her, and she couldn't escape now.

She just prayed that nobody would talk to her directly... If this went on she felt like she might pass out from the stress!
Maybe that would be a mercy... Just wake up in bed, not have to walk past everyone a second time...

The situation became clear to Llewen as he noted the two new figures before him; a father and daughter, or perhaps his young wife? All types had come since he'd posted the fliers, and he'd unfortunately begun to see people in a different light; every man, a chance for a builder, or hard manual labor, and the ability to produce children in any eligible women in their small community; in turn, the women could perform the small tasks, sewing clothes and helping with crucial farming work, and--a subject which always made him grimace--bearing children, such that there might be a future for his small estate. But that was a long-term concern, and had little bearing on his need to produce money now.

The girl was of particular interest to him; she couldn't have been older than he was, and he was still far too young for his station at 18. He wondered quietly what hardships she had endured as well, as their family was without a mother; such outcasts were common in the refugee trains that had come to the estate. Yet he could not have prepared himself for the eventual answer.

Hunters were one of the most common types of workers that would come to his estate; it was a wide land, with plentiful game that was not yet overhunted, and it was Llewen's primary source of income while they waited for the crop fields to start to grow on their newly-cleared and plowed lands. Removing the trees blocking the fertile soil was also a task of vital importance, and it seemed this man Daniel was both.

Then, he revealed that his daughter was a mage, a fact which caused Llewen to raise his eyebrow, stirring a feeling in him that was only amplified when he mentioned his father.

"If you know of my father, then you likely know more than I do. He passed five years ago to orcs around these very lands, if you can believe it. Yet I will attempt to be wise and benevolent in his stead," he said. His attention was fixated on Daniel at the moment. "We have great need of woodsmen, and hunters; anything that can help clear the land for more farms, or bring gold in the trade of furs... but in truth, any help you can offer to House Merrick would be welcomed; I will not lie to you, we are on hard times here, and there may be days you go unpaid, or go hungry. Such is life here, try as we might. So I find myself in the position of asking instead for your aid, than you for mine, which as you suspect no lord of this land would wish to be in..."

He turned now to the daughter, who seemed to be cowering. Llewen was tired from the sleepless nights from worrying about the extortion, and not as eloquent as he often was.

"In truth, I know little of mages. Is there aught she could do for my estate with that magic? I know nothing of the School of Script, though I would not turn someone so-talented away out of ignorance. Many of the people here are former brigands and criminals, who have found a new life serving a purpose to a lord who has forgiven them. If there can be hope for such men, then I have no doubt an enchantress could be a great boon to me, yet all the same I must ask you of her quality--unless she would rather say so herself. If her magic is of no practical use..." he said, emphasizing the need for such, "then mage or no, she should make use of the sewer's needle and thread, or perhaps... my clerical needs of late have grown substantially, and I could use an assistant."

He turned back to Daniel. "You know your daughter; tell me what use I might yet make of her."

Last edited:
The situation became clear to Llewen as he noted the two new figures before him; a father and daughter, or perhaps his young wife? All types had come since he'd posted the fliers, and he'd unfortunately begun to see people in a different light; every man, a chance for a builder, or hard manual labor, and the ability to produce children in any eligible women in their small community; in turn, the women could perform the small tasks, sewing clothes and helping with crucial farming work, and--a subject which always made him grimace--bearing children, such that there might be a future for his small estate. But that was a long-term concern, and had little bearing on his need to produce money now.

The girl was of particular interest to him; she couldn't have been older than he was, and he was still far too young for his station at 18. He wondered quietly what hardships she had endured as well, as their family was without a mother; such outcasts were common in the refugee trains that had come to the estate. Yet he could not have prepared himself for the eventual answer.

Hunters were one of the most common types of workers that would come to his estate; it was a wide land, with plentiful game that was not yet overhunted, and it was Llewen's primary source of income while they waited for the crop fields to start to grow on their newly-cleared and plowed lands. Removing the trees blocking the fertile soil was also a task of vital importance, and it seemed this man Daniel was both.

Then, he revealed that his daughter was a mage, a fact which caused Llewen to raise his eyebrow, stirring a feeling in him that was only amplified when he mentioned his father.

"If you know of my father, then you likely know more than I do. He passed five years ago to orcs around these very lands, if you can believe it. Yet I will attempt to be wise and benevolent in his stead," he said. His attention was fixated on Daniel at the moment.
Daniel nodded his head.
"I only knew of him, m'lord, from his subjects that would pass through our village on their way to Mardus when the main road became too treacherous during the war.
It grieves my heart to hear how he passed, since orc tribes have been friendly to myself and my village since I was a boy."

"We have great need of woodsmen, and hunters; anything that can help clear the land for more farms, or bring gold in the trade of furs... but in truth, any help you can offer to House Merrick would be welcomed; I will not lie to you, we are on hard times here, and there may be days you go unpaid, or go hungry. Such is life here, try as we might. So I find myself in the position of asking instead for your aid, than you for mine, which as you suspect no lord of this land would wish to be in..."
Daniel bowed his head in acknowledgement, not seeming overly surprised at the conditions that the village finds itself in.
They had traveled through the village to get here, and while things were a far cry better than conditions in their own village, struggle was still apparent.
"Rest assured, m'lord, I will do what I can to help."

He turned now to the daughter, who seemed to be cowering. Llewen was tired from the sleepless nights from worrying about the extortion, and not as eloquent as he often was.

"In truth, I know little of mages. Is there aught she could do for my estate with that magic? I know nothing of the School of Script, though I would not turn someone so-talented away out of ignorance. Many of the people here are former brigands and criminals, who have found a new life serving a purpose to a lord who has forgiven them. If there can be hope for such men, then I have no doubt an enchantress could be a great boon to me, yet all the same I must ask you of her quality--unless she would rather say so herself. If her magic is of no practical use..." he said, emphasizing the need for such, "then mage or no, she should make use of the sewer's needle and thread, or perhaps... my clerical needs of late have grown substantially, and I could use an assistant."

He turned back to Daniel. "You know your daughter; tell me what use I might yet make of her."
Daniel looked at Sandra, then back to Llewen.
"You must find it in your heart to forgive her, m'lord. She is very shy, especially in large groups. She was always sickly growing up so she never left the house or played with other children."
He gently touched Sandra on the shoulder and moved her leaden feet forward to stand beside him.
"However, though I admit am biased, m'lord, she is a very ingenious enchantress! She knows her sums and letters if m'lord should require a clerk. But she can weave magic to make blades sharp and tools sturdy. She enchanted my arrows to return to my quiver if they do not strike an animal!"

He patted Sandra on the back reassuringly.
"Sandra, tell Lord Merrick about your magic."
She glanced up at Llewen through her hair and immediately froze until she felt her father's hand on her back again.
"Tell him about your favorite one, the one you use to get your chores done."
She looked at her father in surprise. He had always told her not to use that spell because she had to learn the value of working with her own hands.
But her father was smiling at her, perhaps this was a time and place where convenience would be appreciated!

She brightened a little and looked back to Llewen.
She cleared her throat, warming it up like an instrument she barely used.
"It's an Animus enchantment..."
"M'lord."
Daniel reminded her of her manners.
"M'lord."
She added.
"... I can make brooms sweep the floor on their own, rags to scrub the floors, and the well to draw water on its own!
I've also used it to mend clothes by enchanting the needle, thread and the garment!"

She slowly grew more comfortable the more she talked about her favorite subject.
"When I leave certain aspects of an enchantment variable, I can make the enchanted object perform a task by command! I've dictated an entire letter to an enchanted writing quill!"

"Some of these spells took her more time to make than simply doing things herself."
Her father interjected.
Sandra reddened a little bit at that.
"But once I make a spell I don't need to make it again! I write them down so I don't forget them."
She met Llewen's eyes for the first time.
"I was able to do a little bit of scrying in a puddle before we arrived in your lands... M'lord... Your land has a resource that you might not be aware of. A magical oasis, a crossing of several magical laylines that create a large gathering of magic, enchanting the land itself with magic!"
This seemed to be something she was extremely excited about and she was very animated as she continued to speak.
"The magic infuses everything that lives there, I've read that they use wood from these oasis to make magical wands and staffs! Healing properties from herbs are increased tenfold! Weapons made from ores found in the oasis have been the stuff of legends!"

Daniel put a hand on Sandra's shoulder to calm her down. She'd said more than necessary but he wasn't chastising her.
He looked to Llewen to see what his judgement would be.

While being pleased with Daniel's willingness to help the community, he listened intently to Daniel's description of Sandra's abilities with more than a passing interest. He would glance at the girl every so often, especially as she started to explain some of the utility of her magic, which would be of particular value to him and his people. Though the girl herself seemed eccentric, Llewen had grown accustomed to hosting guests of all temperaments, such that Sandra hardly seemed out of place.

Her growing excitement hadn't escaped Llewen either, as she began to weave a tale about seeing laylines in a puddle--how such a thing worked was beyond Llewen, and though he deigned to hope in her vision, he shared a skepticism simultaneously that was expressed more visibly by his steward, Landis.

"An Oasis?" Landis asked, before Llewen could respond. "Doubtless your magic would be of use to this estate, but we hardly have the manpower to chase after fairy tales and the visions of a girl. Moreover... you needn't prove yourself to Lord Merrick in such a way, he is--"

"No, Landis," Llewen interjected. "Miracles and legends are precisely what House Merrick needs now. I would not ask it without reward, but there is value in magical weapons, and tools, and in the very ore itself... If all you ask is lodging, and my recommendation to some school, then I fear you ask too little of me for such a reward, should it be found. So be it--Landis will see to it you are given appropriate lodging, and meanwhile, Sandra will explain to me what must be done to find this oasis. Whatever resources you require, I will attempt to make available, and moreover, I will see to it personally that this is done, manpower be damned."

And yet, the threat of his budget seemed to tower over him from behind, merely a few pieces of parchment resting on the wooden table of the great hall. Any other lord would, and perhaps should have rejected this offer, but Llewen would do anything to keep his land, and his people, and that meant chasing legends and loose ends in the far places of the world he could reach, just in hopes of surviving for yet another month. After all... the sword of Galentor was bared to his neck now, and it seemed a little magic could dispel that wicked blade.

• Bless
Reactions: Sandra Teek
While being pleased with Daniel's willingness to help the community, he listened intently to Daniel's description of Sandra's abilities with more than a passing interest. He would glance at the girl every so often, especially as she started to explain some of the utility of her magic, which would be of particular value to him and his people. Though the girl herself seemed eccentric, Llewen had grown accustomed to hosting guests of all temperaments, such that Sandra hardly seemed out of place.

Her growing excitement hadn't escaped Llewen either, as she began to weave a tale about seeing laylines in a puddle--how such a thing worked was beyond Llewen, and though he deigned to hope in her vision, he shared a skepticism simultaneously that was expressed more visibly by his steward, Landis.

"An Oasis?" Landis asked, before Llewen could respond. "Doubtless your magic would be of use to this estate, but we hardly have the manpower to chase after fairy tales and the visions of a girl. Moreover... you needn't prove yourself to Lord Merrick in such a way, he is--"
Sandra was slightly abashed by Landis' words, and not a little frustrated.
What a world to live in... Where the idea of magic is more readily accepted than the idea of fairy tales and visions.
Such a response along those lines was forming on her tongue when Llewen spoke up.
"No, Landis," Llewen interjected. "Miracles and legends are precisely what House Merrick needs now. I would not ask it without reward, but there is value in magical weapons, and tools, and in the very ore itself... If all you ask is lodging, and my recommendation to some school, then I fear you ask too little of me for such a reward, should it be found. So be it--Landis will see to it you are given appropriate lodging, and meanwhile, Sandra will explain to me what must be done to find this oasis. Whatever resources you require, I will attempt to make available, and moreover, I will see to it personally that this is done, manpower be damned."
Daniel bowed and Sandra followed suit.
"We thank you, Lord Merrick. I hope this information is a blessing to you and your house."
Sandra nodded in agreement, then blanched when her father went with Landis, leaving her on her own with Lord Merrick.
"I... Wait... Uh... Uh..."

She blinked in shock as her chest tightened with fear and she once again found her feet locked in place, words couldn't form on her lips.
She turned to Llewen and found she couldn't look up at him as she had before, it was like her lifeline had just been severed and she lost all confidence as soon as her father wasn't there.

She knew she had to speak, but she could feel herself spiraling. She opened her mouth several times to speak but she was like a fish out of water.
Once again she hid behind her hair, trying to find some measure of security from which to build her confidence, but it wasn't working.

• Haha
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
Though her actions plainly indicated that Sandra was deeply uncomfortable--as perhaps she should be, alone with a male lord unsupervised--Llewen was far too young and experienced to infer it, instead merely raising an eyebrow, only able to discern that perhaps something else was at work, or perhaps she merely had lost her train of thought. Perhaps fortunately for her, Llewen was a particularly loquacious individual, as he had discovered with his fateful meeting with Princess Helia.

"Your father is a good man," Llewen said, maintaining his gaze towards Sandra. "House Merrick needs men of such quality. I wish I could say the same of my father, but he died before I could learn what manner of man he really was. I oft wonder how much I resemble him, and moreover, whether or not what I have done since then has pleased his spirit, or only served to make him restless."

He paused, letting his words sink in for a moment.

"But I am not my father; neither are you yours. I am only Llewen, and you are only Sandra. And I am eager to see what quality Sandra Teek possesses. You come bearing a bold promise, and I must confess that if it is only false hope you have brought, I will be of an exceptional sorrow, as House Merrick's state is more dire than you can imagine. I will spare you from such details; but as of now, there is little hope but the hope you offer."

He nodded, offering her a gentle, understanding, and hopeful smile.

"Yet even such sorrow would not invite my wrath. I know you only do for yourself and your father, and if it is false hope, there have been worse uses of such deception. I would have you be my aide, for as long as you can bear it; Landis is my council on things of the land and finance, but you may advise me on things of great value--that is, magic. Here in Merrick lands, one may begin again, and find a new life, and hopefully a better one. So I ask you specifically, Sandra Teek--will you be my personal aide, until such time that I can recommend you to the School of Script?"

Though her actions plainly indicated that Sandra was deeply uncomfortable--as perhaps she should be, alone with a male lord unsupervised--Llewen was far too young and experienced to infer it, instead merely raising an eyebrow, only able to discern that perhaps something else was at work, or perhaps she merely had lost her train of thought.
Sandra was equally naive of that particular scenario. Her anxiety merely born of her extreme case of introversion due to her lack of social experience.
Perhaps fortunately for her, Llewen was a particularly loquacious individual, as he had discovered with his fateful meeting with Princess Helia.
"Your father is a good man," Llewen said, maintaining his gaze towards Sandra. "House Merrick needs men of such quality. I wish I could say the same of my father, but he died before I could learn what manner of man he really was. I oft wonder how much I resemble him, and moreover, whether or not what I have done since then has pleased his spirit, or only served to make him restless."

He paused, letting his words sink in for a moment.

"But I am not my father; neither are you yours. I am only Llewen, and you are only Sandra. And I am eager to see what quality Sandra Teek possesses. You come bearing a bold promise, and I must confess that if it is only false hope you have brought, I will be of an exceptional sorrow, as House Merrick's state is more dire than you can imagine. I will spare you from such details; but as of now, there is little hope but the hope you offer."

He nodded, offering her a gentle, understanding, and hopeful smile.

"Yet even such sorrow would not invite my wrath. I know you only do for yourself and your father, and if it is false hope, there have been worse uses of such deception. I would have you be my aide, for as long as you can bear it; Landis is my council on things of the land and finance, but you may advise me on things of great value--that is, magic. Here in Merrick lands, one may begin again, and find a new life, and hopefully a better one. So I ask you specifically, Sandra Teek--will you be my personal aide, until such time that I can recommend you to the School of Script?"
Sandra listened to his words. It hadn't occurred to her that this was actually the only surviving member of the Merrick family... She could only imagine the immense burden he carried every day as a result... Her own mother was a mystery to her that her father never shared with her, deeming it better than Sandra remain ignorant of the truth than have her deal with any added burden.

Still, she could sympathize with him... She couldn't imagine how she would survive without her father as well, yet somehow he did.

Her sympathy to his situation made her open up a little and she could look up past her hair at him.
"Scrying from a puddle is... Muddy reading at best..."

"M'lord."

She added hastily.

"But the presence of magic in your wilderness is unmistakable and while I couldn't determine details, the location was clear."
She clasped her hands in front of her, squeezing her hands together to anchor herself.
"If I had a clear reflective surface, I could try again and get a more accurate reading. Then you can see for yourself if it's reliable."

Llewen found himself bemused when Sandra correct herself to use Llewen's appropriate honorific; it was still growing on him as a title, and wasn't one he was entirely sure he felt comfortable with. He was still a boy; it was written in his face, his actions, and the state of the estate around him. Yet he was the same rank as some of the stuffy noblemen he'd met while seeing the princess in Mardal.

Still, Sandra's problem was a simple one, and thankfully for her, Llewen had a simple answer.

"A reflective surface?" he said, echoing her question. "Yes, I believe we have a mirror somewhere here in the castle... in the basement, I think, in storage with a few other items. I will fetch a torch and we can go to it posthaste. I am eager to see what wonders your magics can work..."

He nodded, moving to a closet in the castle hall nearby, where he found a torch and the means to light it. In a moment, it would be lit, Llewen holding the torch by its base as he returned to the great hall.

"Well, shall we descend?" he said, offering a small smile.

He led the way a short distance to a wooden spiral stair downwards. The torch was a welcome boon in the soon-murky darkness around them, revealing a collection of forgotten weapons, armor, and various other supplies a castle defender might want. After a short distance, they reached the desired location, a tall object covered by a linen cloth, covered by cobwebs and dust. And at last, Llewen remembered why it was here.

"Here it is," he said, eyeing the object with reverence. "It... it was my mother's."

He pulled away the cloth, revealing the mirror, tall and ornate in frame, which now reflected the two of them in the darkness. Llewen thought for a moment how much the two of them must have looked like children, stumbling around in the dark, led on only by the light of the very torch they carried...

Last edited:
  • Sip
Llewen found himself bemused when Sandra correct herself to use Llewen's appropriate honorific; it was still growing on him as a title, and wasn't one he was entirely sure he felt comfortable with. He was still a boy; it was written in his face, his actions, and the state of the estate around him. Yet he was the same rank as some of the stuffy noblemen he'd met while seeing the princess in Mardus.

Still, Sandra's problem was a simple one, and thankfully for her, Llewen had a simple answer.

"A reflective surface?" he said, echoing her question. "Yes, I believe we have a mirror somewhere here in the castle... in the basement, I think, in storage with a few other items. I will fetch a torch and we can go to it posthaste. I am eager to see what wonders your magics can work..."

He nodded, moving to a closet in the castle hall nearby, where he found a torch and the means to light it. In a moment, it would be lit, Llewen holding the torch by its base as he returned to the great hall.
Sandra fidgeted nervously, casting her eyes about the room when Llewen left, unsure if she was supposed to follow him or not.
Her fear of being left alone in the middle of this big castle had just about convinced her to follow him when he returned with the torch.
"Well, shall we descend?" he said, offering a small smile.
The smile did little to alleviate her nervousness but she managed to twitch the corners of her lips upwards briefly in response.
She nodded and fell in step behind him as he led the way.
He led the way a short distance to a wooden spiral stair downwards. The torch was a welcome boon in the soon-murky darkness around them, revealing a collection of forgotten weapons, armor, and various other supplies a castle defender might want. After a short distance, they reached the desired location, a tall object covered by a linen cloth, covered by cobwebs and dust. And at last, Llewen remembered why it was here.
As they descended down the dark staircase and the shadows and gloom closed around them Sandra couldn't help but move closer and closer to Llewen. She was pale as a ghost normally, but in the flickering torchlight she was absolutely ghastly as the shadows accentuated her thin features.

When they reached the bottom and the torch began casting wavering shadows of shapes on the walls and crates she was actually tightly clinging to his sleeve. If he hadn't been moving she might have been frozen to the spot in terror!

"Here it is," he said, eyeing the object with reverence. "It... it was my mother's."

He pulled away the cloth, revealing the mirror, tall and ornate in frame, which now reflected the two of them in the darkness. Llewen thought for a moment how much the two of them must have looked like children, stumbling around in the dark, led on only by the light of the very torch they carried...
They finally arrived at the mirror and Llewen pulled back the dusty sheet.
They did look pretty pitiful in the reflection, but Sandra only saw how terrified and pitiful she was... While being around this stranger was scary, she was glad she was with him in this place.

She gulped and approached the mirror. In another light she might have thought it was beautiful, she'd never seen a full length mirror like this with her own eyes!
She'd only read about such mirrors in stories and books, and they rarely boded well for the protagonists.

She reached to her throat where her arcane focus was fastened by a string. A small blue crystal that faintly glowed with it's own light.
She closed her fist around the crystal and spoke a three syllable word in an unintelligible language (which she had invented).
Upon speaking this word the darkness around them was chased away by a book sized glowing square floating in the air.
The square had writing, runes and symbols glowing in brighter contrast to the comparatively dull blue.

She touched one symbol on the floating panel and it disappeared, replaced by three more glowing panels with more undecipherable symbols!
Sandra began to get her panicked breathing under control as she began touching more symbols and more glowing panels appeared or disappeared.
She pointed at the mirror and a slight blue glow surrounded the mirror.

Sandra was silent during her work, but after touching a few more symbols she spoke another strange word and the runes and symbols began floating off the panels and surrounding the frame of the mirror, attaching themselves to the glowing aura that surrounded the mirror.

With another word their reflections disappeared from the surface of the mirror.
It was dark for a moment as the runes glowed brightly and her crystal glowed in response.
Then the bright light of day was shining out from the mirror and they could both see over the treetops of the forest surrounding Merrick lands.
"You might want to look away if you've never flown before."
Sandra said as she seemed to make a few adjustments, touching the mirror and various runes on the edges.
"... M'lord!"
She added again.

Whether he looked away or not the scene in the mirror began to shift, the trees and clouds suddenly shifting as the view turned to a specific point a good bunch of miles beyond the cleared land that the workers had made this far, if he looked he might be able to see a few farmers out tending the fields!
The mirror then zoomed in on the spot it had picked out, deep in the forest at a point beside a deep ravine, like a black wound in the ground.
"Found it..."
Sandra muttered mostly to herself. A mirror worked much better than a puddle, she could get a much clearer image!

As the image of the spot grew closer the mirror started to get a little hazy and the picture less clear.
Sandra made some adjustments and the image cleared up, but one of the runes on the edge of the mirror was glowing orange and slowly increasing to a deeper orange approaching red.
Sandra pointed it out.
"See this rune? It's indicating that the scrying ball is detecting magic, and it gets stronger as we get closer, which means that the ambient magic will start to interfere with the spell."
She explained, hoping it made sense to him.

The view lowered down till they were looking below the treeline near the edge of the ravine.
Again Sandra had to make some adjustments to clear the image as they advanced deeper into the woods.
"When I scryed from the puddle I lost the image up in the air above this ravine. Your mothers mirror is a much better catalyst."
Finally the image stopped in front of a yawning cave mouth at the very edge of the ravine, and appeared to rapidly descend down. The magic detecting rune was a deep red now and approaching a black color.

She looked up at Llewen.
"It'll be dark, but with this mirror I think I can continue on. Do you want me to, m'lord?"

• Sip
Llewen watched with a bit of superstition in his eye as the young mage reached for the small blue crystal around her neck, then began an incantation. He'd heard of magic, of course, but such things were uncommon in these lands, and this was a new experience. He was undeniably nervous, afraid that suddenly he had made a great mistake in letting the mage into his castle, and letting her work with a mirror, no less! Yet he was desperate, and he felt justified knowing that if it could save his castle and his slowly-growing people, that it was worth the risk--it had to be. After all, what was the worst that could happen? His castle burned down? His soul stolen? He had no heirs of his own blood, his line was already doomed unless he could find a wife in time--Tabitha seemed to be helping in that regard--but things were already quite grim for the small estate, and the occult might be just what he needed.

Although he wondered if it needed to all be so unseemly and strange, as he watched the spell unfold before him and the mirror itself began to reflect something else entirely. He recognized the lands as his own, the farmers, the farms, and the castle itself, before it began to shift to the valley itself, seemingly gaining on some unknown presence, finally resting on a dark spot. Sandra's words were of little comfort--this was his first interaction with true magic, and he was simultaneously bewildered and afraid. Yet he knew he must continue on.

"Uh... y-yes, continue," Llewen said, the mouth of the cave seeming like a great gaping maw of some terrible beast to him in the torchlight and faint blue magic which illuminated the storage space around them. In truth, his every impulse told him to turn back, that whatever lay in the cave wouldn't be worth the strangeness of obtaining the knowledge in the first place.

And then a more darkly thought took hold, as he thought of the impending extortion by Galentor; a thought crept into his head, a working of dark magics to keep the bastards at bay, to make them crumple before him like paper in the rain... Anything to keep his people safe, and to protect his home.

As the image continued, Llewen's eyes widened at the inevitable new wonders that lay deeper in the cave...

Sandra nodded and guided the image into the black cave mouth.
It was pitch black at first, but a second rune began to glow brightly along the frame of the mirror and the darkness faded and they could see a short distance ahead in shades of black and white.
The cave declined sharply and they could see where rain often made a river down the steep slide.

Along the ceiling they could see bats hanging, sleeping and undisturbed, indicating that whatever “eye” that was relaying these images back to them was invisible and undetectable by sonar.

As they went deeper into the cave they could see white streaks along the walls and ceiling, Sandra tapped the glowing rune and color returned to the image, but it was only illuminated by bioluminescent fungus that stretched down further into the darkness.
They traveled on, the cave mostly lit by the fungus except in patches.
The slide ended into a flatter path and turned a few bends.
“We’re pretty deep underground now.”
Sandra informed Llewen.

She suddenly stopped the mirror and focused on the ground. It was easy to miss in the dim light, but it glowed similar to the bioluminescent fungus… the floor was moving… Sandra focused the mirror further up the cave and found the narrow head. A massive glowing snake was moving up the cave in the direction they just came.
This whole time Sandra was making adjustments for a clear image, the magic detecting rune was black and deepening to a bruised purple. Magic was stronger in this area.

Sandra gulped nervously.
“A-an arcane nexus has a high concentration of magic… so plants and animals are effected by it… I’ve read about some nexuses with guardians, keeping intruders out.”
Taking a shuddering breath she moved the image forward and suddenly the image clouded with magical interference.
Sandra muttered and worked for five minutes to clear the image this time, when the image returned they rounded another bend in the tunnel and they could see light and the end of the cave.
“We might be at the bottom of the ravine now…”
Sandra guessed as they moved forward.

Finally they came to the end of the cave and looked out across the floor of the ravine.
What they saw was a stark contrast to dark gloom of the cave.
A primeval forest of massive living forest giants! Massive trunks thicker around than a castle tower covered in moss and foliage and hardly a single ray of sunlight broke the forest canopy.
Sandra gasped at the sight, such beauty seemed almost sacred, like human eyes were not worthy to look upon it.
Everything was bigger here, like they were ants in this massive forest, even the flowers were either as big as an open hand or tall as a person in general! The insects were huge as well, and all of them an incredible array of colors! A butterfly as big as a hawk lazily flapped it’s rainbow colored wings as it made its way to alight on a flower large enough to hold its weight!
They saw a flash of white fur in the underbrush and a rabbit came into view, about as big as a dog, but it’s fur was so smooth and shiny, every time it moved they could see rainbows reflected through it!

Sandra moved the image forward but as soon as they crossed the threshold of the cave the image was lost, clouded by magic. The magic detecting rune vanished.
Sandra tried to get the image back but it was futile, the interfering magic was too great.
She gave up with a sigh.
“I’ve never seen an Arcane Nexus before… such beauty… it’s more incredible than I could have ever imagined!”

• Cthuloo
Llewen's eyes followed the image on the mirror, his eyes shifting with some of the more interesting revelations; how this worked, and for what purpose, he yet did not know, but he was still placing his faith in this mage he had met only moments ago to reveal secrets and wonders that lay deep beneath the earth, and so close to his home as well. He nodded in response to Sandra's comment about them being deep underground, his brows narrowing as they continued to get deeper into the cave.

Even so, he couldn't have prepared for the sight of the giant snake, which caused him to visibly recoil; Sandra's explanation did little to soothe him, either. If this was only the beginning of what they would see, then what awaited them further into the cave?

Llewen's mouth dropped slightly at the sight of the underground forest: to think that something like it existed so close to them, and contained such a wondrous image... It was difficult for him to comprehend, having never even seen magic before, so much so that he began to suspect that the whole thing was some parlor trick in the back of his mind, had the mage before him been anything other than a frightened young girl.

"It... it is beyond my power to describe," he said, still comprehending the scry. "It's beautiful... and yet I feel something... an apprehension, perhaps..."

His eyes narrowed again at the image before them. "An Arcane Nexus... and this holds the power you spoke of? Magical ore, or more mystical assets, perhaps? Either way... We must acquire it. It may be House Merrick's only hope."

He turned to Sandra, their faces lit only by the blue of her magical tools and the faint torchlight, which cast their shadows on the walls nearby. He abandoned the pretense from before, now intense and solemn, as the very fate of his people was now in question.

"What must be done?" he asked.

Llewen's eyes followed the image on the mirror, his eyes shifting with some of the more interesting revelations; how this worked, and for what purpose, he yet did not know, but he was still placing his faith in this mage he had met only moments ago to reveal secrets and wonders that lay deep beneath the earth, and so close to his home as well. He nodded in response to Sandra's comment about them being deep underground, his brows narrowing as they continued to get deeper into the cave.

Even so, he couldn't have prepared for the sight of the giant snake, which caused him to visibly recoil; Sandra's explanation did little to soothe him, either. If this was only the beginning of what they would see, then what awaited them further into the cave?

Llewen's mouth dropped slightly at the sight of the underground forest: to think that something like it existed so close to them, and contained such a wondrous image... It was difficult for him to comprehend, having never even seen magic before, so much so that he began to suspect that the whole thing was some parlor trick in the back of his mind, had the mage before him been anything other than a frightened young girl.

"It... it is beyond my power to describe," he said, still comprehending the scry. "It's beautiful... and yet I feel something... an apprehension, perhaps..."

His eyes narrowed again at the image before them. "An Arcane Nexus... and this holds the power you spoke of? Magical ore, or more mystical assets, perhaps? Either way... We must acquire it. It may be House Merrick's only hope."
He turned to Sandra, their faces lit only by the blue of her magical tools and the faint torchlight, which cast their shadows on the walls nearby. He abandoned the pretense from before, now intense and solemn, as the very fate of his people was now in question.
She froze under his solemn gaze and panic immediately rose in her chest.
Did she do something wrong? Does he not believe her?

But the truth was far more terrifying.
"What must be done?" he asked.
He was asking HER what to do?! The Lord of castle Merrick wanted her advice on how to proceed?!
Her mouth dropped open and only a surprised and dumbfounded "Uh!" came out of her mouth.
Then she proceeded to awkwardly flounder when she realized he expected an actual answer.

"Um... Uh... Well I... Um... I... You... How... Uhhhhhh..."
Ugh! She hated this, she hated being tongue-tied, she hated this constant fear and panic, she hated that she wasn't more confident around others...
She took a deep breath and held it... And held it... She held it until her lungs burned and she released it with a gasp.

On her next breath a stream of words came out.
"In the study I read by the foremost expert from Elbion, Selina Della Altas; animals in an Arcane Nexus are mostly docile, like they're drunk on the ambient magic. That is except for the guardian who protects the nexus violently, it's hard to tell if the serpent is the guardian or not, but if you go there you should be prepared to fight or be confident you can escape quickly after taking what you came for. If you want to have time to set up operations such as mining or regular harvests, you should kill or pacify the guardian so that they don't interfere with you or your people as they work.

"An Arcane Nexus is more widely known for more effective and magical medicinal herbs, but magic wands and staves are usually made from branches and saplings or other materials found in these Nexus. The magic college in Elbion has an Arcane Nexus they commonly use to supply their students with magic wands and such."

She pulled out her own glowing magic stone to show Llewen.
"We bought this from a traveling wizard. It's an Arcane Focus, like a magic want but I wear it as a necklace. It provides all the magic power I need to cast spells, because I have no magic talent or heritage otherwise to produce my own magic or manipulate the magic around me. This bridges the gap between a common mortal and the magical elite."

She stopped, gasping and sucking air into her lungs.

• Bless
In truth, Llewen was terrified of the potential undertaking that lay before him; he had few men to spare for this task, and he himself was no capable warrior. To defeat or subdue this guardian, so that they might secure the Nexus, might be beyond his reach. Yet still he knew he must try--he was out of options, and this was the only path that would see him and his people safe. Perhaps Sandra would know more, although he feared that with her sudden gasping after explaining the situation--and rather quickly, at that--that he would only be further exhausting the girl, when she had already offered so much to him, for so little. He couldn't help but feel he was taking advantage of her, and yet, he found himself already beginning to formulate a plan...

Llewen gave Sandra a smile, despite her exasperation. "Very good, Sandra. It would seem there is much work to be done yet, but we needn't do it all at once. We will speak to Landis of your findings over dinner, presuming you are hungry, although if you need some time to get your bearings, please take it. I don't want you to exhaust yourself, even though your aid may prove to be of critical importance to me. As well, in such a conversation we might elaborate on the finer points of the magic, which I must confess elude me still..."

For now though, his thoughts would linger on the Guardian; was it that giant serpent, or something else yet more unsavory? And how could they defeat it? They needed time, that much was certain, to form some kind of plan--time Llewen didn't have, and time that could be spent on more practical ways of acquiring wealth... the same practical ways that had failed him.

"As you perhaps suspect, the primary interest to us will be the acquisition of the ores and the saplings, to sell in order to acquire some much-needed funding. Perhaps this knowledge will aid you as our minds work together to form a strategy. I have at my command thirty men-at-arms, former soldiers and brigands seeking a new life with a fairer master, who I can muster for the task, and perhaps an additional twenty workmen to gather supplies. I imagine we will need at least a day to assemble the men and materials required, so we at least have until tomorrow until we depart. Oh, and Sandra," he said, turning slightly to leave, but keeping his eyes on her for just a moment longer. "You have my deepest gratitude, and that of the entire keep. Know that you'll be coming with us on this expedition, and I will see to it you are treated as an object of the highest importance. Meet me again, in a few hours or on the morrow--whenever suits you--when you are ready to speak more on the subject. For now, I must tell Landis to rally the appropriate men. I'll await you in the great hall, unless of course you wish to dine with me from the castle stock, where I will be no bother to you in the meantime. If you require any resources, simply ask."

And with that, he led them out of the basement, his mind swollen with information that was causing his head to ache, as he attempted to process what he had just seen, and the very nature of the magic itself... Moreover, other thoughts had taken hold, of his mother and how he had just used her mirror for such a ritual, an act which had him feeling an immense amount of guilt. In the corner of his mind, there was a whispering that asked himself what other conventions he would defy for the sake of progress...

But for now, he led Sandra to the great hall again, where he saw her off before going to the castle kitchen in order to find something to eat...

• Sip
In truth, Llewen was terrified of the potential undertaking that lay before him; he had few men to spare for this task, and he himself was no capable warrior. To defeat or subdue this guardian, so that they might secure the Nexus, might be beyond his reach. Yet still he knew he must try--he was out of options, and this was the only path that would see him and his people safe. Perhaps Sandra would know more, although he feared that with her sudden gasping after explaining the situation--and rather quickly, at that--that he would only be further exhausting the girl, when she had already offered so much to him, for so little. He couldn't help but feel he was taking advantage of her, and yet, he found himself already beginning to formulate a plan...

Llewen gave Sandra a smile, despite her exasperation. "Very good, Sandra. It would seem there is much work to be done yet, but we needn't do it all at once. We will speak to Landis of your findings over dinner, presuming you are hungry, although if you need some time to get your bearings, please take it. I don't want you to exhaust yourself, even though your aid may prove to be of critical importance to me. As well, in such a conversation we might elaborate on the finer points of the magic, which I must confess elude me still..."
Her eyes widened in surprise.
Dinner, with the Lord?!
She was indeed hungry, but was she hungry enough to eat in public, and with strangers?

She wasn't sure how much more social interaction she could take... Although the possibility of talking about magic did appeal to her...

For now though, his thoughts would linger on the Guardian; was it that giant serpent, or something else yet more unsavory? And how could they defeat it? They needed time, that much was certain, to form some kind of plan--time Llewen didn't have, and time that could be spent on more practical ways of acquiring wealth... the same practical ways that had failed him.

"As you perhaps suspect, the primary interest to us will be the acquisition of the ores and the saplings, to sell in order to acquire some much-needed funding. Perhaps this knowledge will aid you as our minds work together to form a strategy. I have at my command thirty men-at-arms, former soldiers and brigands seeking a new life with a fairer master, who I can muster for the task, and perhaps an additional twenty workmen to gather supplies. I imagine we will need at least a day to assemble the men and materials required, so we at least have until tomorrow until we depart. Oh, and Sandra," he said, turning slightly to leave, but keeping his eyes on her for just a moment longer. "You have my deepest gratitude, and that of the entire keep. Know that you'll be coming with us on this expedition, and I will see to it you are treated as an object of the highest importance. Meet me again, in a few hours or on the morrow--whenever suits you--when you are ready to speak more on the subject. For now, I must tell Landis to rally the appropriate men. I'll await you in the great hall, unless of course you wish to dine with me from the castle stock, where I will be no bother to you in the meantime. If you require any resources, simply ask."
Sandra didn't really have a mind for the logistics of soldiers. She supposed thirty was a lot in terms of manpower, but would they need that many? Or would they need more?
She'd never killed anything bigger than a bee, her father always dealt with rats in the house, as a hunter he usually prepared them and they had rat stew for dinner.

But to kill a giant bioluminescent boa constrictor? A type of snake not even native to the north?
She couldn't begin to guess what was required to kill such a thing.
She half listened as he spoke and nodded when appropriate, she really was hungry and she wanted to tell him more about magic, so she nodded and made it obvious that she wanted to join him, even if she was too shy to say so herself.

She was about to follow him out when something he said sunk in and made sense to her mind. And it made her come out of her shell really quickly.
"Wait... I'm going there WITH you?!"
And with that, he led them out of the basement, his mind swollen with information that was causing his head to ache, as he attempted to process what he had just seen, and the very nature of the magic itself... Moreover, other thoughts had taken hold, of his mother and how he had just used her mirror for such a ritual, an act which had him feeling an immense amount of guilt. In the corner of his mind, there was a whispering that asked himself what other conventions he would defy for the sake of progress...
She quickly dispelled the lights and runes from his mother's mirror as he turned and started walking back. She was on his heels quickly as she followed him out by the light of his torch, flustered as she tried to make words work.
"Just a minute... Me go to the nexus?!... I'm not a warrior! I'll just get in the way!
What will I do? I don't have any attack spells, father never allowed it! He'd never let me go!"

She was pulling out every single excuse she could think of. Even though she would like to go to the nexus, she wasn't keen about fighting or danger, she could never watch whenever her father butchered an animal, the sight of blood made her queasy.
But for now, he led Sandra to the great hall again, where he saw her off before going to the castle kitchen in order to find something to eat...

Though he had given a window for the poor girl to evacuate, it seemed she was intent on staying, which boded well for Llewen, even if she was merely raising objections.

"Let me procure something from the kitchen first, then we shall continue." Llewen then did as he said he would, going into the kitchen to fetch some salted meat and pickled turnips along with plates to eat them upon, perhaps the only items of abundance in the whole of the Merrick estate. He gathered enough that the two of them could eat without hesitation until their bellies were full. When he returned, he motioned for Sandra to take a seat, shortly serving the food to her.

"It must be strange for you to see one in my position be the servant; such oddities are common here. I may be a noble in name, but by birth I am the son of a warrior and adventurer, and raised by common folk such as your father for the last five years. I am lordly only insofar as my station requires me. Yet I respect your persistence in properly addressing me; I assure you, should you forget, you will draw no ire from me. I too am nervous upon meeting strangers, beset by a very anxiety which follows me much as my shadow. Yet I must press on, for my father and mother's memory, and for my people. As for the task at hand..."

He sat down across from her, preparing some of the food for himself on a plate he had brought along, though he was patient to actually begin eating. The sight of them was still something sad--an empty hall of a lordling, who due to great misfortune was never realized. Above all else, that was Llewen's desire: to see the hall filled out again, replete with servants, maids, men-at-arms, and all the folk of his realm, however small it might be.

"I apologize for implying otherwise, but I need you to accompany us not to be our sword, but rather to be our shield. We know little of the magical world here--nothing at all, actually--and you could be our salvation there. At the very least, I need your aid in identifying what is magical and what is not down there, that we might harvest it and properly mark it for sale. After all, you yourself could use a wand or a staff made of the branch of a tree near the Nexus, correct? Then I'm sure you'd be fit to join that school you're so keen on attending. And once I have my prize, you will be free to go, with whatever other resources you require. I won't even require that you swear fealty to me, for I see promise in one such as yourself, promise I wish I felt about myself. Let us work together, then, that we each may find that which we seek."

At last, he took a bite of the salted pork, only half-chewing before continuing.

"Now, you were explaining how an Arcane Focus works? Please, continue."

Though he had given a window for the poor girl to evacuate, it seemed she was intent on staying, which boded well for Llewen, even if she was merely raising objections.

"Let me procure something from the kitchen first, then we shall continue." Llewen then did as he said he would, going into the kitchen to fetch some salted meat and pickled turnips along with plates to eat them upon, perhaps the only items of abundance in the whole of the Merrick estate. He gathered enough that the two of them could eat without hesitation until their bellies were full. When he returned, he motioned for Sandra to take a seat, shortly serving the food to her.
Sandra waited uncomfortably until his return with food. She sat as he indicated and let him dole out the food.
"It must be strange for you to see one in my position be the servant; such oddities are common here. I may be a noble in name, but by birth I am the son of a warrior and adventurer and raised by common folk such as your father for the last five years. I am lordly only insofar as my station requires me. Yet I respect your persistence in properly addressing me; I assure you, should you forget, you will draw no ire from me. I too am nervous upon meeting strangers, beset by a very anxiety which follows me much as my shadow. Yet I must press on, for my father and mother's memory, and for my people. As for the task at hand..."

He sat down across from her, preparing some of the food for himself on a plate he had brought along, though he was patient to actually begin eating. The sight of them was still something sad--an empty hall of a lordling, who due to great misfortune was never realized. Above all else, that was Llewen's desire: to see the hall filled out again, replete with servants, maids, men-at-arms, and all the folk of his realm, however small it might be.

"I apologize for implying otherwise, but I need you to accompany us not to be our sword, but rather to be our shield. We know little of the magical world here--nothing at all, actually--and you could be our salvation there. At the very least, I need your aid in identifying what is magical and what is not down there, that we might harvest it and properly mark it for sale. After all, you yourself could use a wand or a staff made of the branch of a tree near the Nexus, correct? Then I'm sure you'd be fit to join that school you're so keen on attending. And once I have my prize, you will be free to go, with whatever other resources you require. I won't even require that you swear fealty to me, for I see promise in one such as yourself, promise I wish I felt about myself. Let us work together, then, that we each may find that which we seek."
She listened to his words as she ate, taking tiny nervous bites as she struggled with her nature and her reality. Llewen spoke so confidently compared to herself, and he had so much to say. She only ever ate with her father and that was usually in silence except when they had something important to discuss, her father was her safe space, he was her anchor... How could he have just left her alone like this without a lifeline?!
But... As she was slowly realizing... She couldn't be a recluse forever, no doubt her father knew that. The only reason she could recognize that for herself was because she was so introverted that she was very introspective.

But the tightness in her chest and the terror she swallowed with every bite didn't just go away on this realization.

She did her best to focus on his words as he explained his motives to her, how he had to uphold the honor of his house and family as its sole heir and how he bore that burden alone. It made her sad to think about what kind of life that must be, to be so burdened by everything in the world... When it came down to it, her difficult peasant life seemed easy compared to the tangled nuances of his noble one.

At last, he took a bite of the salted pork, only half-chewing before continuing.

"Now, you were explaining how an Arcane Focus works? Please, continue."
She had almost forgotten what she had been talking about! What with her insecurities and worries running rampant and the fact that this was the longest interaction she'd ever had with anyone besides her father in years.
She swallowed her food and cleared her throat.
"Right... Uh, an Arcane Focus is a tool that bridges the gap between common people and magic users. It's enchanted to let its owner tap into the flow of magic in the world around us, ambient magic that exists in every aspect of the world we live in..."

She said it, but she didn't believe just repeating herself was helping Llewen understand her anymore clearly.

"Ummm... You've read stories of magic weapons, right? or even legendary weapons of heroes? Well, there are exceptions, but your usual enchanted sword doesn't need the wielder to possess any magical aptitude or gift, a commoner could lift a flaming sword and use it just as easily as anybody. An Arcane Focus is similar, except the function of a wand or a staff isn't to burst into flame but to allow the wielder to access the invisible forces of the world."
She realized she was beginning to quote the writings of the magical scholar who spearheaded this discovery. For many thousands of years, at least as far back as sufficient data could be recorded, magic had always been the arena of the elite, talented and gifted. A magic user gifted with the intermingled magical bloodline of dragons or giants in their veins obviously held an advantage when it came to utilizing magic.

But, with this fairly new discovery, it threatened to upend magic and society as anyone knew it today.