Open Chronicles Sweat of the night

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Kenpachi Essa

Swordsmans Legacy
Character Biography
Link
Thirty minutes earlier...

"Breathe. Breathe. Breathe Essa." A whisper of a voice sounds from behind me, so close it could of been in my ear.

A drop of sweat crept down my brow. Amber eyes held in complete focus. Extend out in front of me I held a short bow in my grasp. Just in the palm. There was no extra grip needed, it laid comfortably. My chest expanded taking in air. With each progressive draw of the string more and more tension built. The howling desert winds masking of cries of oak bending and flexing.

" Good. Hold..." The voice trailed off with a muffled shuffle of movement. I was not alone. A portion of our tribe had been tracking a merchant caravan for two days and tonight we would strike. " Or ilais i'assaz, Erri'a."((On your arrow, Essa.)) That was the mark! The moon light gleamed off the blunt arrow head one last time before a sudden gift in tension was released. Disappearing into the desert night the arrow took flight dive bombing into the temple of a caravan guard. With satisfaction I watched the guard fall from his horse with a audible thud from several meters away. It took only seconds for the rest of the group to close the distance and begin routine of looting. This time it was a smaller caravan with only four guards and with one knocked out and the others still oblivious. This was too easy.

Present...

The tongue of Abtat was thrown to and fro as the group organized themselves. Loot had been split up among various members and the caravan itself now had to be transported back. Only trouble was doing this safely. " Wi'as a sun?"((What of them?)) I blinked once. My face covered with sand camouflage garbs and rags. Thought i could not see my amber eyes glow I could tell it was the current spectacle to behold when considering the scowling faces of the men we just robbed. They were bound tightly together as of now and my question lingered in the air.

" Bsuhrs i'ars phi'aph sun. Lui'au sun i'a si'aphphus. I suil suhu, sur zsi'auhru Asi'asi." ((Blind and gag them. Leave them a dagger. If they live, then praise Abtatu.)) My fathers voice was directed by the flourishing of a dagger. Mounting a camel he tossed the dagger into the sand. Mercy was rare in the desert. After blinding the small group and gagging them we left and waited...

Our tracked covered by the nights winds. We did not go far. In fact we did not even plan on returning back to camp till early morning. The night was young and helpless people is th desert warranted attention of even more people to steal from.

They were just bait.

Kneeling down, the crunch of sand beneath his feet Arthit kneeled down and dug his hand into the fresh tracks. The paw prints left behind far larger than a normal Hyeana, along with them were bipedal marks. Arthit was drawing closer to them but they still had a lead. For three days and nights, the Mercenary had been tracking a band of Gnolls across Amol-Kalit. The roaming band had been accused of slaughtering caravans and even razing villages that stood in their path. They’d even been said to take slaves and devouring the humans and elves too weak to be of use. For Arthit this hunt wasn’t about the money, it was about bringing justice to those felled and taken by the Gnolls.

Rising to his feet he looked into the distance that the tracks went. Along with him were a handful of other individuals. A few other hunters, and some just villagers that sought revenge for those they lost. Who was Arthit to turn them away? The path of revenge was one he understood all too well, he even still walked it. “They’re maybe a half-hour ahead of us, mount up!” The obnoxiously large human called back.

Moving towards the large, midnight black horse that he’d bought Arthit jumped and landed on the creature in a single smooth motion. His feet hooking into the stirrups. The others were armed with bows, swords, and whatever other weapons they found to be comfortable using. Arthit? There wasn’t a single weapon to be seen on his body, for his body was a weapon. One could be stopped from entering a shop with a dagger, or sword. But you couldn’t turn someone away who carried no weapons. It’s what made Arthit so dangerous. His hands and feet solidified enough to shatter and break stone. The large knuckles callused over with horrific bulges that had yet to heal. “Yah!” With that, the troupe galloped off in the direction of the gnolls. Arthit only praying that they could catch them before the gnolls ran across an unsuspecting party.

Not qutie the kind of job I was used to performing.

A hunting squad of people. Kinds of races that were mixed in with many different types. Some clad in all armor, others in glorified robes, or covers. Even the Tracker who seemed to be leading this little party was barely carrying any weapons as far I was aware. Adjusting the strap of the quiver, I stood behind the darker skinned individual who seemed so intently in bringing justice to these people. To right a wrong within the world. Such a noble cause. However, I was here for the coin. Quite a pretty one to be in fact. With the past couple incursions being less than fruitless, I expected this one to pay a little more.

Hand resting on the pommel of my arming sword, Arthit seemed to be well versed in tracking humans just as much as creatures. It was very interesting to see someone other than a Monster Slayer to be so proficient in such tasks. Rangers? Sure. It was their job. As was mine. However, this man seemed different. I had to trust what he said for the most part. As far as I could tell, he has been correct in leading us.

Saddling upon my own horse, a tan horse with a white stripe down the length of his face, was very different than that of his name. "Artax" was not happy with my heel kicking back into his side. Sending him flying after the man who prodded our little group forward. As I had drawn close enough to the man, Even if he already stated they were not even a half an hour away, I had to voice my concern of this Gnolls that had been attacking.

"How many do you suspect? We may have to resort to an ambush instead of running headlong into this fray."

More so, I wanted this man's thoughts. He knew this area better than I did. At least, it seemed like it. I hated the idea of trust in a man who I had only met barely ten minutes before we headed out. However, circumstances require me to be adaptive to the situation. I'd rather have an extra... whatever weapon he used than just my own sword alone.

• Yay
Reactions: Kenpachi Essa