Private Tales Supply Run

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Lothar shook his head. "No."

Part of being on the lowest rung on the ladder of the Academy was the fact that most Proctors didn't give a damn about you. Past the usual berating and standard instruction Lothar had never really been given any opportunity to study the Proctors.

Some students got private lessons, many of their teachers preferring to ensure certain students are stronger early on. Lothar had never been such a student.

"But." He said. "I remember overhearing a conversation between Renout and Orriel once. They said Gashall wasn't strong in magic but...powerful. I didn't really know what that meant, still don't."

Perhaps they had been speaking of his political reach, maybe that was how he had all those little birds.

• Yay
Reactions: Lumen
“Maybe his magic works like that. Influencing others. It would help explain why he had that pack of monsters answering to him.”

Or it could just be his charisma. She wasn’t sure and didn’t know.

She took a sip from her newly filled canteen before putting it back in her pack.

“I guess we’ll find out soon enough,” a quiet statement.

A shadow fell upon them.

“You two the initiates?” Lumen could tell it was Friar right away because of his crimson eyes.

• Aww
Reactions: Lothar
A shrug rolled over Lothar's shoulder. "It could be."

Truth was, even the most observant students hardly ever got to figure out the extent of their Proctor's magics. Teachers had hidden them and their abilities as well as students. Part of the game that they had played, and part of a way to teach even the best students that they were never on an even ground.

That was how the Academy was.

When a shadow flickered over them, Lothar took a deep breath. He rubbed a hand over his face, once again putting on that listless mask as he turned on his heel.

"We are." He said, gesturing to himself and then to his companion. "Lumen and Lothar."

The Initiate offered by way of introduction. "We don't know ho-"

Before he could finish, Friar cut them off. He waved a hand and motioned towards one of the alleyways nearby. "Not here."

He said simply before leading them away.

• Thoughtful
Lumen quietly observed the mask Lothar slipped on. But her attention quickly shifted to Friar. Silently, she followed after his taller figure until they disappeared into the shadow of the alleyway that Friar led them to. Lines of laundry hung across the way, high above their heads.

Friar had crimson eyes with the lightest blond hair that would perhaps rival Leander's.

Was he some far flung cousin of the Urahils?

Probably not if he was stationed here.

"We don't have much time. The only reason I'm about to tell you this is because you're new from the Academy. I've been stationed here from quite some time undercover. We believe much of this base has been compromised by Gashall and his forces."

Friar went straight to it.

"But then why did he ask us to get his daugh-,"

"Because while he's close to tipping the scales here he isn't there yet."

• Gasp
Lothar's face didn't change, but he supposed it made sense. Either Vel Cirak wasn't infiltrated at all, or it was infiltrated a lot.

The fortress was a Lynch Ping of sorts. One of the four great Fortresses which 'held back' the Elves. Vel Cirak was an entirely military instillation, the Guardsmen here were well trained, drilled, and had extensive combat experience. The Dreadlords?

There were none who had any weakness, not here. "So he's trying to get his child out before there's violence."

Because of course there would be, this was Vel Anir. There was no such thing as a peaceful transfer of power.

"So what do we do?" Lothar asked simply, deciding that he had not a whole picture nor the status to really...ask any questions at all. As best as he could tell, there wasn't much else for him to ask or say.

"Luckily, you didn't run into any other Dreadlords." Friar said simply. "The Guard isn't whats rotten here."

No surprise there, given Gashall's own persuasion. "So, we're going to have you do exactly what he wants, or at least make him think that's what you're doing."

Lothar looked over towards Lumen, knowing she probably wouldn't like the answer. “Once he thinks you have his son, we’ll spring a trap and capture him.”

• Cry
Lumen immediately frowned.

"We are not bringing a child out there. It would be too dangerous." Her voice was quiet but held a surprising amount of weight to it. "We would need back-up to take Gashall. The Commander just said so herself. And Gashall said he wanted Lothar and I to return alone with his daughter and he would know if we didn't. So how would he not see you," she paused and looked at Friar intently.

"And the guardsmen and and women that the Commander was going to give us coming?"

And how could Lumen and Lothar trust Friar wasn't among the rotten dreadlord already here?

They had no reason to trust him. Perhaps he was just luring them into doing what Gashall originally wanted.

• Aww
  • Sip
Reactions: Ysobel and Lothar
"I don't care about your opinion." Friar said simply, which were words Lothar was not at all surprised to hear.

Though Dreadlords were now part of the Guard, it in large part didn't seem to matter. Ego and rank were two sides of the same coin, and Dreadlords had always cared far more about the former side. It wasn't about your title, it was about what you could do.

Perhaps Friar still saw things that way. "You're taking the kid to Gashall. This isn't an argument."

The Dreadlord continued.

"I'm well aware of the risk, I'm not a fool throwing away assets because I think it'll get me some acclaim. I know what I’m doing." Assets, that was a nice way of putting it. "You and Lothar here are taking the girl out to Gashall. That's all you need to know, understood Initiates?"

Friar said, staring at the two of them. "Yes, sir."

Lothar answered simply, not looking at Lumen this time. It was clear that their opinions didn't matter at this point, so why try and argue? All they could do was follow orders...and try to add their own spin on things when the time came.

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Lumen frowned but did repeat. "Yes sir."

She was not one to buck authority. Even when she thought there were better choices to be made. She followed orders. It's why she hadn't fought Aelta further when they'd run into Gilram's men and the exiles in Vel Draza as her friend dragged her away. But she also liked to protect her own. The citizens of Vel Anir. It's also why she did hesitate when Alistair hadn't been there. Why she'd tried to stop them from escaping.

Lumen nodded and turned to leave.

"Initiates," Friar called. "Show some respect."

This time Lumen turned and saluted. "Yes sir." Not in a smart manner but in an efficient manner. "Are we dismissed, sir?"

Friar frowned as he looked her and Lothar over. "Find the daughter-boy and meet me back at the gates. We leave at nightfall." Waving his hand at them, he turned to leave.

Lumen's posture still remained straight. Stiff. But a shadow crossed her face. She didn't like it. And she didn't need to say as much for Lothar to know.

"Are you going to lecture me?" She asked him quietly.

• Cthuulove
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Ysobel and Lothar
For a few moments Lothar remained quiet. Even after Friar left and Lumen turned to him to prompt a response the other Initiate stayed quiet. He was chewing on the inside of his lip, and only after a solid minute did he finally respond. "Why would I do that?"

He asked simply.

"I don't disagree with you." Lothar wasn't a monster. Despite what they had done to him, the bullying, the torture. He didn't want to put an innocent child at risk any more than Lumen did, but he was a realist. "Trying to find a different solution isn't bad."

A frown touched his face. "It just won't happen."

Dreadlords like Friar didn't care, hell, the Republic probably didn't even care that much.

One innocent girl's life was a very good price for someone like Gashall. If all they lost in taking that piece off the board was one little girl? Everyone would be happy. Except the kid's mother of course. "All we can do is try to make sure the kid gets out safe."

• Aww
She waited a moment after he finished speaking. Letting the silence stretch between them. A silent nod to him first. Then, "I'm glad you're the one on this mission with me," she said finally.

They had orders to follow.

Even ones she didn't agree with. The shield weighed more heavily on her back as she turned. "Let's go find her," she said quietly. "What was the name on the paper...Tara?" If Lumen remembered correctly. There's been a description, too. Brown skin, bright green eyes, and dark curly hair. Lumen didn't know what they'd say to the mother. And for one of the rare times in her life, she was tempted to disobey orders.

• Thoughtful
Lothar dipped his head in a nod.

The letter that Gashall had given them was detailed enough that they would easily be able to find the home where the woman was staying. Though it wasn't finding her and the child that concerned him. "She won't want to part with her child."

He said quietly, already feeling a pit begin to form in his stomach. As they walked he continued, glancing over at Lumen.

"Even if we tell her the truth." Which, he wasn't entirely sure they should do. The more the mother knew, the more likely she was to go to someone, anyone who might help her. She would give away Friar's game, and if that happened no one would win. "She wouldn't...I mean, who would want to give up their kid to a sociopath?"

The question was spoken, but Lothar and Lumen both had the answer to that question.

They were Dreadlords after all.

It was not long before the two Initate's moved into the quarter that Gashall claimed Tara lived in. Vel Cirak was not a large city, and what civilians lived in it were generally placed furthest towards the eastern walls of the city, where an attack was least likely.

• Thoughtful
"You're right, Lothar. She won't want to." Lumen paused and stared at the spot that described where Tara and her mom lived. There was the tiniest of gardens in front of the one window afforded to the small housing unit. Blue paint that had long-ago chipped and faded on the door.

Perhaps a small, happy life carved in this far-off and isolated fort.

"I'm open to any ideas if you have them," she paused outside of that blue-chipped door.

But she didn't raise her fist to knock. Not yet. Lumen was particularly good with people. She knew she'd be able to ease and convince the mother to give up Tara without too much of a fight. But that didn't mean she wanted to.

• Thoughtful
For a few seconds he stayed quiet, chewing over the question that Lumen had asked him. For the entire walk he had wracked his brain for something else they could do, an opportunity they might have, but it all fell rather short.

They were pinned in between impossible options.

Gashall could easily kill them, and likely so could Friar. The two of them were full Dreadlords, and disobeying Orders wasn't exactly something done easily either. The Guard had as of yet not come down on any Initiate too harshly, but if they didn't follow Orders and Gashall escaped?

Lothar couldn't imagine Lumen and He wouldn't find themselves out of the frying pan into the fire. "I don't know."

He admitted quietly.

"We just have to protect the kid." The words were almost a whisper, ensuring only Lumen heard them. "Do our best to make sure she survives."

And didn't end up with Gashall.

• Cry
We just have to protect the kid. The words were almost a whisper, ensuring only Lumen heard them. Do our best to make sure she survives.

"Whatever it takes," she nodded in quiet agreement. Raising her fist, she wrapped it against the blue-chipped door. It took a long time until there was a shuffle of footsteps from the other side. A small voice called out as the door cracked open. A set of bright blue eyes looking up at them set among a tan, dark face.

"Momma is away at market. Are you with the guard?"

Lumen squatted down to the young girl's height.

"Yes, we're working with them. They want us to take you on a very special mission."

• Thoughtful
Lothar watched from behind Lumen as she squatted down and spoke to the little girl. A frown almost instantly pulling at his lips.

What he had hated most at the Academy had been the lies.

Not the bullies, not the constant torture and beatings, but the flow of misinformation. All of the lies they were fed over the years. The propaganda, the mistruths, all the things they had been told to lead them one way or another.

As he stood there and watched Lumen, Lothar couldn't help but feel sick.

Couldn't help but feel like he was no better than all those Proctors. Even if he was doing it for what was supposed to be the right reason.

Behind Lumen, his fingers clenched into fists, but he tried to smile. At least make the girl feel like she wasn't being taken by someone who would harm her.

• Cry
The little girl pulled back, closing the door to only a slit.

"I dunno," she murmured. "Momma says I'm not supposed to leave the house. Or talk to strangers." Small blue eyes traveled upward, looking at Lothar behind Lumen's shoulder.

"You've got funny eyes," she exclaimed, opening the door just a tad wider and pushing on her tippy-toes she could get a closer look. "But they are pretty."

• Stressed
Pity flickered through his chest, and for a brief moment Lothar almost pulled back and told Lumen they had to find another way.

He stopped himself though.

Not taking the girl would be more cruel than leaving her behind. Who knew what Gashall would do? Who knew who else he would send or what else he could do in order to get his daughter back? They had to comply, they had to see this through.

"Thanks, kid." Lothar steeled himself, trying to remember some semblance of humanity. He crouched down, taking the girls eye level."You need to come with us."

Lothar shifted. "We're Dreadlords."

The patch on his shoulder marked him as an Initiate,. but to someone in Vel Cirak it would read the same. Here they were more than magical soldiers, more than the terrors of war. In Vel Cirak being a Dreadlord meant something.

At least it was supposed to.

• Cry
Lumen's face was grim as she looked to Lothar kneeling next to her. Tara studied him in thought. Her blue eyes flickered between Lumen and Lothar.

"Okay, so I can trust you. Let me write Momma a quick note so she knows where I am." Tara disappeared from the doorway but left it open as she went further back into the house to supposedly do what she said.

Lumen wince and slowly stood. Hand rubbing at the back of her neck. Shoulders plagued with tension. She didn't know what to say to Lothar. There were no words. From his expression he felt as rotten as she did.

If they didn't do this someone else would. Perhaps someone without the girl's best interests in mind.

A few moments later Tara returned, slipping her little hand into one of Lumen's own.

"Where are we going? Are we going to see any scary monsters?" Little head swiveled between the two adults.

• Stressed
Lothar almost recoiled at the question for a brief moment. "Hopefully not."

Another lie.

He knew that they were walking the girl into a group of monsters. Even if the Dreadlord kept his promise, there was little doubt that Gashall wouldn't get a glimpse at the girl at least. Not to mention those creatures that were still under his thrall.

"But." Lothar said, swallowing. "If we do, just make sure to stay behind Lumen and I."

Briefly he glanced at his companion. "We'll keep you safe, alright?"

It was, the very least of what they could do.

He wondered if this was how the Proctors felt when they took kids from their parents. What it was like to be separating someone from those who loved them. A frown touched his lips, and he motioned to the little girl as they began to head down the street. "Come on."

Lothar Urged.

• Cry
Lumen sighed. Eyes locked with Lothar's strange ones for a moment. There was never a time more than now that she wanted to disobey orders. The problem was? That other dreadlord would find them. He'd drag Tara into the warzone kicking and screaming.

"Quick stop at the armory first. We'll find you something cool to wear. To make you safe." Lumen's smile didn't reach her eyes as she patted Tara on the head.

At the armory, they did manage to find Tara some squire's lightweight armor-type-shirt. But that was it.

Friar was at the gate waiting for them. An annoyed look clearly on his face. The sun was just beginning to set over the West wall. "Fukin' bout time you got back. Thought I'd have to come looking for you. That her?" His red eyes went to Tara who immediately hid behind Lumen.

• Stressed
Lothar nodded. "That's her."

The Dreadlord gave both of the Initiate's a weary look for a brief moment, glancing behind the small figure half behind Lumen. A frown pulled at his lips, but he offered no additional barb or comment. Something Lothar found more than a little surprising.

"Alright." He said with a jerk of his thumb. "Two horses."

Friar said, motioning to the stable behind him. "Take the girl, just like you were told to do. Me and the others will be right behind you."

The little girl looked up at Lumen for a moment, confusion flickering on her face. It was clear that she was clever enough to understand something was going on, but wasn't quite able to grasp what. Friar stared at them, waiting, but Lothar quickly bent down.

"Tara." He said softly, addressing the girl. "Just remember what I said, okay?"

His voice was a whisper. "I promise, everything will be okay."

• Cry
Tara nodded slowly, a beat after Lothar finished speaking. With her hand still firmly gripping Lumen's, she finally nodded at the blonde girl as well. Lu's heart twisted in her chest and she locked eyes with Friar.

There was a lot unspoken said between them as she stared at the Dreadlord, finally giving him a sharp nod and turning toward the stables with Lothar and their young charge.

"Let's go," she said to them both and began walking toward the stables to where their two horses would be waiting. The mail tunic they'd gotten for the girl rustled against her clothes as they walked. Lu glanced to Lothar. She knew she didn't have to say it.

I don't like this.

A thought toward him that she knew he couldn't hear. Taking a knee in front of Tara, she looked the girl in the eyes.

"Who do you want to ride with?" Tara's blue eyes swiveled between them both, settling on Lothar.

• Stressed
Putting the girl in armor somehow made him feel…worse.

He wasn't entirely sure why. Maybe because he knew that when it came down to it, mail wouldn't do much in a fight with Dreadlords. Gashall didn't want to kill his daughter, otherwise there wouldn't have been a point in sending for her in the first place, but that didn't meant she couldn't get caught in the crossfire.

It was obvious that Friar didn't care much of the girl got caught in the middle of things. Staring down at Tara, Lothar thought to himself that he and Lumen would simply have to do their best to keep the girl alive.

A brief smile flickered over his face. "You made the right choice."

He told the girl.

"Lumen is a terrible rider." It wasn't true, and Lumen would know that Lothar didn't really mean it. He was simply trying to put the girl at ease with the small joke, the small shy smile on her face clearly showing that he'd succeeded.

With a quiet, encouraging, word he lifted Tara up into the saddle of the horse. Pulling himself up into the saddle only a few seconds later. He glanced towards Lumen one more time in silent communication, and then headed off and out the gates.

Determined, to at least, keep Tara alive.

• Cry
Lothar didn't need to say it either. Even with those strange eyes of his, she could read him as easily as he could read her silent looks. They had to do everything to keep Tara alive. To keep her out of Gashall's hands. To keep her out of the crossfire.

This was why they were training to be dreadlords.

To protect Vel Anir's citizens, like Tara.

She quickly joined Lothar and Tara as they rode outside the city gates and back into the monster-filled woods outside. The sun was set and it was dark once again. Tara was quiet. Her light eyes big and wide as she probably thought all the shadows she saw were monsters in the dark wood they rode into as they quietly left the main path.

Lumen didn't look to see if others were following. She still wasn't confident in Friar's intentions. But she stuck close to Lothar and Tara. "Remember what Lothar said," she repeated to the girl as they rode deeper into the woods. "Just stick by Lothar and me. We'll be with you the entire time."

"Okay," she whispered, flinching as a twig snapped somewhere in front of them.

• Nervous
One hand clutched the reigns of his horse, loosely wrapped around the girl in front of him. The other palm rested on the pommel of his sword.

He was hardly the best swordsmen in their class, but it was one of the few tools he had managed to gain a semblance of control of. During the long years of mockery and bullying Lothar had clung to his use of the sword as something to protect him.

Out here, in this moment, it brought him an odd sense of comfort.

There was nothing here that he could control. Not Friar, not Gashall, not the way that any of this would end up.

At least he had his sword though. At least he had a weapon that he could use to defend himself and Tara with. He glanced down at the girl for a brief moment, offering a small smile as they turned on the forest path and headed to where he knew Gashall would be.

The clearing up ahead coming into sight, and then suddenly a twig snapping.

Almost immediately Lothar turned, fingers swiping the sword from his scabbard.

• Popcorn