Dismiss Notice
There are tales of ghouls and the dead rising along the Eastern Allir Reaches. The Templar chapter based of Allria has gone to investigate the matter... and perhaps bring to an end to whoever is at the root of this evil...

Interested? Find out more here.

OOC:
A necromancer seems to be ravaging the Eastern Allir Reaches(near the spine). Some of the Templars are trying to stop him/her. Feel free to join in as a survivor, a passerby, maybe the necromancers servant!

Tales Something Amiss

Discussion in 'The Chronicles' started by Kaska, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "She knows that you can piss over the side of a boat, right?"
    One of the Templar said out loud behind, Saul. A small smile touched his face as he heard it, though with the muffling of a helmet he couldn't quite tell who the voice was.

"You can eat on a boat too."
    Another voice chimed in. "Just get on the damn ship."

Saul motioned towards the other Templar who broke out into chuckles among themselves. There was a great clattering of armor and swords, other weapons as the thirty troops moved onto the sloop. In the back of his mind Saul thought about how unfortunate it would be if they met the Lich while still on the river.

Thirty Armored men drowned easily when thrown into water.

Kaska likes this.
  2. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska gritted her teeth, it taking every ounce of her self-control not to turn on them and cuss them out.

So much for an attempt at offering a kind reprieve.

And they better not piss off the boat. "Fucking savages," she grumbled to herself, taking up her usual corner with her rain soaked pack. She resisted the urge to slip of Lia's heavy sword, her shoulder aching. Not worth it. Image was everything here.

As it turned out 32 people were a bit of a tight fit on a one level river boat, but it all worked out, Kaska managing to secure herself a few comfortable feet of free space around her, her ranger status earning her a small bubble of space that seemed, mostly, avoided.

They took off easily. She leaned against the railing, her throat in her stomach as she watched the distance shape of Alliria slip into the dusky horizon.

Saul Talith likes this.
  3. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Saul had sailed more than once in his life time, though usually it wasn't further than outside of the straits. Seeing Alliria disappear in the distance was always an odd sort of thing.

It was far faster than on horseback.

He frowned for a moment as he watched quietly, standing at the prow of the ship next to two of the other Templar. Most of them had spread themselves around the deck, taking off their armor and ensuring that they could be a bit more comfortable where they decided to sit.

Most were surprisingly in good spirits, likely happy about the thought of bailing Rangers out of trouble.

"Go talk to her." Saul said quietly to one of the Templar standing besides him. "See what you can learn."

Leane glanced at him, her shield and sword strapped to her back, and then slowly nodded. "Try to adopt some of Valerie's charm."

Saul felt a kick against the back of his calf.

Kaska likes this.
  4. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Leane walked over to her and could be seen leaning against the railing, attempting to make conversation with the ranger that now stood tense at her side. Kaska's expression remained closed off and unfriendly, what attempts Leane made to warm up to the girl rejected.

She came back to Saul with a slight purse to her lips, Kaska's abrupt manner grating her. "I'm going to take Valerie's charm and shove it up her ass," she grumbled, flopping down besides him.

Saul Talith likes this.
  5. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Saul shrugged. "Perhaps well send Owinn to seduce her next."

Leane stared at him.

A shrug rolled over his shoulders. The young Commander was not above prostituting his soldiers if it meant he could find out for sure what they were walking into. There was still quite a bit of this whole thing that they had not yet been told about.

Something that made him nervous.

A sigh escaped him, head shaking as he tossed his helmet over to Leane. He didnt want to set it down on the deck only to see it roll over into the sea a few moments later. He'd likely need it after all of this was said and done.

"Hold that." Saul said as he sighed again and went to talk with the Ranger.

Kaska likes this.
  6. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska ignored his approach, her expression remained tense and shoulders squared.

"We'll be on here for seven days," was all the information she parted to him in that moment, sensing his intentions and throwing him a bone. She remained tight lip on the rest, finding herself with many reasons to fear imparting anything else.

Not until they were further away. Not until she could be sure nothing could go astray and get back to her father in Alliria. She wasn't going to mess this one up.

Saul Talith likes this.
  7. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I need to know more." Saul said simply, squatting down in front of the Ranger. His face was as impassive as he could make it.

Direct conversation had always been a token of his, something that he used to approach those who often did not want to be approached. He didn't particularly care about being politic at the best of times, and now even less so. He had brought his men, they were on the ship, and now he deserved to know the whole of the truth.

If only so that he could make a plan.

"What fortress is the lich holed up in?" That was one of the most important things for him to know. "Has he raised anything else?"

There were many different kind of Liches. Some were adept at destroying villages, others could summon while armies. Some could do both. "I need to know."

Kaska likes this.
  8. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska pursed her lips, taking a deep breath from her nose to keep herself in check. "I know you do. But not until we're farther out," she said firmly, looking away from the silhouette of Alliria to acknowledge him then.

"This is too big to risk, you'll just have to be patient. I will tell you everything you want to know on day four." She glanced behind her, an animalistic gleam to her eyes. She was fully aware just how overwhelmed and outnumbered she was to them, a fact that would pose for legitimate danger out on the streets.

She had every reason to be nervous about her own safety. And about what they could do with her information if they were still close enough to home and decided to turn back around. In some ways, she couldn't help but to feel like her and Lia were risking their careers if just a little, by playing so hard under the table.

But if her suspicions were right ... it may very well be the thing that saves them all.

"I know you don't have a reason to trust me," she commented, a bit of humble softness to her tone. "But I'm the one at risk here, so just for a moment ... trust that I wouldn't fuck that up."

Well. Anymore.

Saul Talith likes this.
  9. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He considered for a moment. Four days, that would only leave him three to plan.

Saul well understood her fear of course. She was a relatively tiny girl and right now she was outnumbered thirty to one. Fifteen if one counted the Ship captain. Hell, he himself probably would have been enough to just kill her and throw her into the river.

A thought that had likely already occurred to her. "The fortress."

The Commander repeated.

"Give me that at least." Everything else she could keep for now. "I can't plan an assault in three days."

Well he could, but it would be a bad one.

Kaska likes this.
  10. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She considered this, her hand tightening on the pommel of Lia's sword. "... Valeer," she finally relented, tension coating her tone. She glanced at him sideways, her nostrils flaring as she braces for the slightest sign of betrayal or ill will now that she had given him what he needed. He could still just throw her over and go for himself. He didn't need to include her at all.

Even though it was her ship.

Her knuckles were white on the pommel.

Saul Talith likes this.
  11. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Saul considered for a few seconds, his gaze traveling away from the girl and towards the shores.

Lips thinned. "An interesting choice."

Not one he would have made. Part of Templar education had always been learning about the dozens of fortresses and Keeps that were abandoned all around the world. Saul knew most of them off the top of his head, Valeer especially. It had been a key point during the second schism, what the Rangers called the Templar War. It was during that conflict that hia Chapter had come into being.

"It's an old Ranger Keep, three days ride from the Twin Holds." He was sure the girl knew that. "There's better citadels to occupy, especially in the Reach."

So why that one?

Kaska likes this.
  12. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska pursed her lips, speaking tightly. "Yeah. I know." She turned back to the water, aware that she was not as blank of a book as she would like. But she never really had to tried to be.

Ah well. As long as the information stayed from him.

"And there will be no pissing over the boat." She added, an afterthought.

13. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    A very odd chooce. He wondered if there was some type of connection. Liches were often bound to a certain place or object, somewhere or something thay held significance to them in life. It was one of the few ways to kill them. He frowned for a brief second, fingering the hilt of his sword.

He faced the water, ringing his knuckles against the wooden railing. "Stopping at the shore will slow us down."

Saul pointed out, not bothering to hide his amusement.

He wanted to know more aboutthe lich, but it was obviois to him at this point that Kaska would not be very forthcoming. Part of him was confident she didn't actually know anymore anyway. It of course left him with only a scant few details to go off of.

"The fortress was besieged by Templars at one point." He said quietly. "There's a tunnel that the Rangers used to supply themselves and hold out. Do you know where it is?"

It would be helpful.

Kaska likes this.
  14. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska took a deep breath in and out, trying ever so hard to keep herself level.

Maybe that's why Lia chose her to carry out this mission. It wasn't because she trusted her-- she saw a moment to force Kaska into practicing manners. The thought was unhealthy, but it bubbled up all the same, Kaska's time away from Lia leaving her to slowly disintegrate towards old perspectives.

"I don't. But my Sergeant will. That was the one thing I didn't research with her. All the same, she will tell you when we get there. And we are stopping," she insisted without explanation. Her eyes flickered to her sword, an unconscious tick towards her reasons why.

She needed to train. Every day, she needed to force herself to lift the heavy sword and become quick at it. Time was closing in and she would could not afford to stay stagnant a week with a weapon so unfamiliar to her.

And she would absolutely not train in front of the other Templar. No way in hell would she let them see her in such a week state.

"If just for an hour. It's necessary." Lia could spare her that.

Saul Talith likes this.
  15. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Saul shrugged. "It's your friends."

Perhaps the girl was shy about peeing in front of others. Not everyone was used to the life of a soldier, though he found the hang up to be slightly odd coming from a Ranger. From what he heard of them they urinated all over one another all the time. Uncouth louts.

It didn't particularly matter to him all that much. A few hours difference in their arrival wouldn't end the world by any means, plus it might give them some time to scope things put more.

"You're not very affable, you know." It was an idle comment, not designed as a jab but a statement of fact.

Saul had met the gruff types before, especially in this life. There was something to be said about them, though just what the Templar didn't know.

Kaska likes this.
  16. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska smiled tightly, not looking away from the water. "Yeah. I know." All the better, really. Not that she'd comment on that

She stretched out, then leaned against the railings, slowly finding it in herself to relax a little bit. "You wouldn't take me seriously otherwise," she stated bluntly.

Saul Talith likes this.
  17. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Saul let out a chuckle.

"I wouldn't say that." There was a difference between being affable and being a complete fool. Granted some folk took that line a bit too far, but the line was still more than there. He frowned for a brief moment.

Would he have taken her seriously?

The Commander would like to think he would. If only because Ana would have speared him for doing anything else.

"Despite the rumors were not all monsters." Saul contended. "Nor unreasonable."

Kaska likes this.
  18. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She gave him a thick look, her lips pursed and a brow raised in subtle challenge. "I hear your men when my back is turned. I was raised with Templar giving crap to my father, it didn't matter where we were, what we were doing. Unreasonableness is engrained in our interactions. Forgive me for not being more affable, but I've been tracking this fucker for four months and I don't care to risk it with jokes," she snapped, edgy.

She, at least, viewed this as a massive threat. Liches were run of the mill for Templar, equipped and trained to deal with the tricks up their sleeves. But rangers? She had walked in blind. And she had suffered for it, that much was clear as day, an animalistic fear tinging the edges of her expression.

Saul Talith likes this.
  19. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He shrugged. "Templar and Rangers have been fighting for so long that we're all taught to go at each others throats before we even meet."

That was certainly how Saul had remembered it. He'd hated the Rangers long before he had even met a single one of them. It was something that he found difficult to admit, if only because it made him seem a greater fool than he had any right to be in the first place.

"You should be proud for tracking it, Liches are notoriously difficult to keep up with when they're not locked in one place." Saul commented dryly. "Once free they tend to stick to their own schedule."

The fuckers were annoying. "We're ultimately here to help you. Not to take some imagined glory or slight you somehow."

Kaska likes this.
  20. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Hmph," she huffed, mulling over his words.

She didn't know how much of that she believed. The safe bet would be to believe none and just get them there. She didn't have to arrive on any good terms with them. But something told her it wouldn't be wise to foster any bad tension now. She would be their first impression on how they would be treated when arriving, and she had a seeping suspicion Lia would give her a disapproving look for weeks if she was the cause of things going south on the field.

"I even cut off his arm," she exaggerated, unable to help the edging pride in her voice. "Well. Lia and I did."

She had taken the brunt of the pain for it to happen, so damn right she was laying claim to the success.

"It was my plan. And fetching you was too. We're not incompetent, we just need numbers we don't have. There's over fifty of them," she finally told him, going out on a limb to trust he wouldn't change plans with that reveal.

Saul Talith likes this.
  21. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Fifty? He frowned for a brief second. Were they all undead?

That would make things a tad easier, not all of them had holy weapons, but there were other ways to deal with the undead. Though she had also mentioned bandits. Lips thinned for a brief second, and he considered where their numbers would stand in a weeks time when the Lich raised even more.

They would be well outnumbered. "The Rangers have more people than us."

Saul commented dryly.

Though they were not as numerous as they once were, the number of Rangers still stood well into the thousands. Broken Sword had at last count a little under three hundred.

Why not get more Rangers instead?

Kaska likes this.
  22. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Yeah, but you have holy weapons," she dismissed, hoping to the gods she didn't believe in that that was true enough for him not to pry further. Because she absolutely couldn't deal with telling him she suspected corruption inside the ranks.

It felt like borderline betrayal to her people. The power moves that could be made with that knowledge...

"Besides. Alliria is mostly composed of recruits. Our experiences numbers sit elsewhere, I couldn't have the ones on city duty deal with your messes," she bluffed.

"You were the best bet," she admitted matter of fact, no shame to her voice.

Saul Talith likes this.
  23. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Not all of us." He mused quietly to himself. Some might have considered that a secret, but Saul didn't. The crafting of Holy Weapons was somewhat of a lost art. Berrick had managed to make one before, but only after reforging another.

Mixing the metal, the spells that went into it, the creation of weapons that could not only slay but outright destroy true undead was difficult now.

Of course, he knew that she wasn't telling the whole truth. There were Ranger Outposts other than Alliria that she could have reached within a week, certainly ones that could have provided her with more than thirty troops. There was something else going on here.

Though what he wasn't sure.

"There's other ways to kill a Lich." He wouldn't expect her to know such a thing. "Magic, holy water, dismembering it would work as well. Though only if the head loses sight of the body."

Kaska likes this.
  24. Kaska

Kaska Allirian Ranger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kaska sat up, turning to glance at him with no small amount of shock. "Seriously? That's all it takes? Removing the head from the body's sight?"

She threw up her hands, frustrated.

"It took us a week to learn about the holy weapons. And never mind how little we actually managed to find-- if all we've had to do is chop it's head off-" She made a frustrated noise, hitting at the boat railing.

She turned to face him, pulling her leg up and sitting cross-legged. "What else is there to know about them? How can you stop their magic from-" she made vague motions of being fried by pain.

Saul Talith likes this.
  25. Saul Talith

Saul Talith Templar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Well you have to bury the head after." It sounded like he almost could have been telling a joke, but of course Saul was deadly serious. "It's still alive."

Technically speaking anyway.

Some Liches could do magic while speaking, but if you gagged it they couldn't even really do that. That method was far from the preferred of course, the best way was to either undo the magic that brought the Lich into the world in the first place or to execute it with a holy weapon.

Much safer. "It depends on the Lich, and the magic it uses."

The Templar explained.

"Some draw upon the Chaos of the universe, others Blood, and some simply the elements." He shrugged. "It is doubtful you could learn to stop it, best to remain out of their sight."

Anti-magic could prevent some of a Liches power, but teaching her that would take years. If she even had the potential.

Kaska likes this.