Fable - Ask Sly Sabotage

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Tingling ran across the back of Zinnia's neck, an odd sensation that raised hair and caused goosebumps. Compliments were not something she was wholly used to yet. Present company was...strange, to say the least, but so was she! That was something Zinnia was keenly aware of. Compliments from anyone were not to be taken for granted. Larkin even gave the impression that he was being sincere about his!

Still, as Zinnia trudged along with Soleil, she couldn't shake that feeling that she might be doing something foolish. That, and...well, she hadn't killed before. Sure, that was to be a major part of her career in a few years (gods willing she graduated), but...she let out a long sigh, eyes closed. They were only bandits. The three of them would have been eradicating them anyways if they'd been kept on.

There was much less per in her step than Soleil's, but she tried to maintain her confidence about all this.
"Right...m-might have to hide my h-hammer if I want to look f-fully helpless, though..." She hefted the thing a bit as she spoke. Others had always seemed to give her odd looks for the weapon choice given her general build and stature, but Zinnia had never had a problem wielding the thing. In fact, it had been so natural that she'd gone ahead an had the custom one made using the funding that was supposed to be set aside for her annual recreational allowance the previous year. She hadn't gone out at all that year anyways.

Of course, then Soleil had to go talking about...uncomfortable things again. Zinnia subconsciously and self-consciously pressed her forearm across her chest and proffered an embarrassed frown.
"S-Soleil, please..."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Soleil Verdane
Soliel was quite the creature, Larkin was enjoying the opportunity to invest his time in her company. It seemed she was often on her own, doing her own curious things. That didn't lend to conversation or getting to know someone. The academy was pushing friendship as it were, and he was doing his best to learn his fellow classmates.

Larkin laughed softly at her expressive way of describing what he and Zinnia were good at. He certainly seemed to come off as a womanizer, and it amused him greatly. It was true, a pretty face and smooth words opened a lot of doors for a person.

As Zinnia responded to the bouncing girl of sand, he glanced at her. It was a shame she always hid herself. He had a feeling she would really shine if she had just a bit more confidence. Still, that hammer was a brutal choice for a weapon. Larkin himself, only had his flute and a simple sword to aide him.

"Zinnia is going to do a wonderful job, I agree Soliel. Don't forget what you contribute too though, deft subterfuge. You can get in and out of anywhere you desire. Your sand abilities are truly fearsome." Zinnia was embarrassed again, he could see her stiffen and clutch her chest. Poor girl. "It's true that women seem to enjoy my presence, but I am always respectful to my friends. It's the enemies that have to worry about that " Larkin gave Zinnia a pointed look, his golden eye shimmering as the sun hit it. He was trying to make her more comfortable, the last thing he wanted was to upset her.

They had started to veer in the appropriate direction, and he mulled over their plan. It wasn't exactly cemented, but that was alright. He didn't mind having to change plans on the fly. "I wonder how much of a lead the have on us."

Soleil Verdane Zinnia

Soleil smiled when Larkin complimented her in turn, and as if in response to the word sand her cheeks billowed open like gills and the fissures glided past the curtains of her short hair and sealed themselves unseen somewhere around her temples. When he said he was always respectful to his friends, Soleil cocked her head briefly, but said nothing.

Instead, she trilled her tongue. Friends come, friends go.

I wonder how much of a lead they have on us.

"Don't know," Soleil answered. "Ranger duty? Time sink. But Flavien? Disaster in privy room. Both cancel out?" She shrugged her shoulders high enough to reach her ears. "Maybe." And she mused on where their competition might be going, "Them? Pick same route as us? Hope!"

Her fingers danced excitedly on the Pendant she wore.

"Delay again. Fun!"

Eventually their northward trek would see them arrive at the Border Road. They'd have to reach the big fork before it split off and the Savannah Road went its own way.

Soleil produced a small pouch from her travel pack. She opened it up. Popped something into her mouth and chewed. And then offered to Zinnia and Larkin, "Peanuts?"

Zinnia Larkin

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Zinnia
Right, right, all three of them were awesome and great and this was all going to go totally flawlessly, surely. Nothing could possibly go horribly wrong. Nope. Just had to sneak away at some point, somehow. Still wasn't totally clear how that was happening, but Snicket wasn't the most observant man in the world, so it couldn't be that difficult.

Zinnia did wonder sometimes if Soleil ate, and while the girl's offer did satisfy her curiosity, it was so out of left field that Zinnia could only offer a bewildered blink in reply at first.
"S-sure Soleil..." She replied at last, holding a hand out. A bit of extra protein on the road was probably a good idea.

Time to beg the question.
"When and h-how are we m-making the split, anyways?"

• Popcorn
Larkin was content to meander along for the moment, not much bothered him and he often let things take their natural course. Things would work out, or they wouldn't. If they didn't, we'll then they'd figure it out. Nothing was ever set in stone, not even stone itself.

Zinnia was a worrier, Soleil was mischievous. It was an interesting mix, and he wondered why Zinnia had decided to come when she was such a cautious person.

"I look forward to the challenge of stalling our competition, if the need does arise. I don't see them being able to really compete with the likes of us though." Larkin had confidence in abundance, he more than made up for Zinnia's lack of.

He held up a hand as Soleil offered peanuts to them, he knew better than to accept food from others. "I appreciate the offer, but no thank you."

At Zinnia's outward musing, he slowed slightly then recovered his pace. "I think that will be easy enough. Once we get closer to the fork, it should be easy enough to go undetected. I really don't think we're being monitored."

Soleil gestured toward Larkin as he answered Zinnia's question. She popped another peanut into her mouth. Poured some peanuts into Zinnia's awaiting hand.

"Larkin? Right. Ranger duty? Far behind us. Proctor Snicket? New hire."

Soleil, as it was becoming apparent, didn't have much respect for the newer Proctors who had come in after the Revolution, and even less respect for those who had come in after the disaster of the latest Graduation. As with Proctor Snicket, she seemed to view them as things to be taken advantage of.

A little further along in the untamed forest.

And then Soleil mentioned casually, "Peanuts poisoned, by the way." Her entire body (and clothing) dissolved into sand in an instant, plopping down onto the forest floor like dead weight, and there the oblong pile of sand that was once Soleil rested.

The pouch of peanuts hit the ground a second after.

Zinnia Larkin

• Scared
Zinnia just sort of nodded along with Larkin's assessment before shoving a peanut into her mouth and beginning to chew on it.
"I s-suppose..." She acquiesced, feeling a bit weary.

Peanuts poisoned, by the way.

Suddenly Soleil was naught but a pile of particles, hitting the ground with a soft *pshh.* The sudden announcement and apparent expiry was enough to make Zinnia quite literally spit the contents of her mouth out in a spray. She thought to start wiping the residue of the legumes from her tongue, until she remembered exactly who it was she was dealing with. They'd literally come all the way out here for the sake of a prank.

"Soleil!" Zinnia chided the girl, balling her fists and stomping the ground, irritated by her antics.

• Haha
Larkin began to hum again softly as Soleil made her short observations, Larkin didn't have much faith in the new procters either. He was far from impressed, he felt like their class was distinctly coddled compared to the one before. There was no challenge, not anymore.

His eyes widened slightly as Soleil made her revelation, collapsing immediately after into a pile of sand. He paused standing over the little pile and leaned over. "Oh dear, that's not good. Should I scoop her up?"

Larkin blinked at Zinnia slowly and then laughter started. A laugh right from the belly. He had never seen such a reaction from the shy quiet Zinnia, it was in fact quite adorable. He wiped a tear from his golden eye and smiled at the girl. He grabbed his canteen and tossed it towards her. "To rinse your mouth."

He peered at Soleil again and sighed. "I suppose we just wait until she becomes solid again. How about some unpoisened lunch, my dear Zinnia?"

Zinnia Soleil Verdane

• Ctuhlu senpai