The Empire Sister Tribe to Sister Tribe

Threads open to all members of the The Empire group

A'kaia

Great Shaman of Bauhala
Character Biography
Link
Bauhala was never welcoming to outsiders. The Hutua people weren’t keen on speaking to anyone other than their own kind as they had seen too many cities, as well as their citizens, as a threat to their lifestyle and Asayis’ oasis, a holy site. But they were always open to trading with other cities. Bauhala is a blessed city with unique spices and the most beautiful silk. They had not forgotten their roots either, so livestock was plentiful. Their rule for trade was that everything had to take place outside of the city walls and royal guards had to be present at all times. It’s just how it’s been for years.

A’kaia was truly his father’s son. He had always been curious about the world outside of the city’s walls. Unlike Hassan, the young lord was never bold enough to leave their home and explore what was out there. As a child, he did his best to peek outside the gates at the foreigners as they offered goods in exchange for their own. The shaman was always impressed at the time with what he believed to be silly looking men and women. A’kaia didn’t know those same people would play some sort of role in his later life.

A’kaia didn’t know what he would do without his father’s guidance. He behaved as regent, however, Hassan would call orders from his bed every once in a while when he saw it fit. Through his own web of spies, he was capable of getting a message out to a vizier of the empire. A short and sweet message:

We invite the Princess of Narufi'ti into our city for a brief conference during our next trade. Please leave any and all weapons outside of this sacred city.

Sincerely,

Your sister tribe

The message was brief and a bit informal considering the vizier’s position. But Hassan was hoping the princess would honor the relationship their ancestors once held.

Back when the Hutua were no more than wandering people, they often settled on the coast to interact with the Mchawi. They not only bargained goods, but swapped stories and spoke highly of their goddesses amongst each other. The Hutua have a fear of the sea, so not too many are willing to cross it. They liked hearing about it and only settled near the sea to greet what they considered lifelong friends. The bond between the people was perhaps ruined when they decided to build a city around their goddess’ oasis and never leave due to a past shaman’s vision. A’kaia’s father always spoke about that broken bond and perhaps rekindling the very relationship.

~~~

Guards in shining gold armor would greet the princess outside the gates, expecting her to do as the message told her. They would briefly look at each other, but never utter a word as they awaited. A word wasn’t uttered to Noelani, who they couldn’t view as anything more than an outsider. After further inspection, the guards would make a deep throat noise and the gates of Bauhala would slowly open revealing a gorgeous city made of sandstone and limestone. Large buildings were connected by bridges and there was tapestry hanging everywhere, each telling a different story about their goddess.

The guards would lead the princess to a pulsing oasis in the middle of the city, changing a slightly different color of blue constantly. A’kaia would be leading a harmonizing chant with elders of the community as he held a baby in one arm and used the other hand to cover the child’s face. “May Asayis bless you and our ancestors lead you on a path of success.” He said, ending the chant and throwing the baby into the oasis. A’kaia watched as the baby eventually began floating and swimming.

A’kaia didn’t have to look at Noelani to know that she was there.

“You don’t know how happy we are to know that you’re here.” He wasn’t referring to the Hutua people either. A’kaia was beginning to feel a resurgence of energy. The shaman could almost hear a choir sing and a breeze go by as a confirmation. “They are pleased with us. Let us hope we do not disappoint, princess. He extended a lengthy hand covered in jewelry and with fingers painted in gold to her. A’kaia hoped they could holds hands only briefly so that he could read her better.

• Sip
Reactions: Noelani
There were not many reasons Noelani visited the inland nations, especially not now she was expected to keep the seas surrounding the Empire safe for its people to trade and travel. She barely had time to visit her home Isles in between Divian Meetings and her work. So when her second had informed her of yet another invitation to discuss matters a good day or so ride from the seashore she had been ready to dismiss it and write back an apology; perhaps Nym could send someone in her stead. But when her Wavemistress informed her of who had sent it, Lani had stayed her quill.

Which is how a week later she had ended up at the city of Bauhala. She herself had never visited. As the youngest of nearly 12 siblings it was usually her older siblings who had dealt with the older alliances with the care and grace they needed; Lani was more of a wild card. She wondered whether she shouldn't have alerted them to the fact she was stepping on their 'turf' as it were but the letter had been addressed to her as a Vizier. She offered no words as she was lead through the meandering city in her travel worn clothes. The camel who towered over her whom she had ridden from the shore snatched a passing bit of greenery and contented itself with its good fortune.

The sight of the oasis was soothing after the last few days of desert sands and fought the urge to strip and throw herself under the cooling waves. There was a touch of jealousy as she watched the babe swim off before she turned her attentions to the man who spoke. Instead of giving her hand she pulled back her hood which had been shielding her face from the worst of the sun and instead pressed her fingers to her lips then to his in the formal greeting of her people.

"Well met, Great Shaman. May your sails find wind and the seas smooth. I too, hope we do not disappoint," she smiled once the formalities were done.

A’kaia read as much as he could about the Mchawi people. Unfortunately, the Hutua preferred passing along stories and information verbally. It was only when his father became Great Lord that scholars began scribing information about what little they knew of the world around them. So he only knew so much about Noelani’s people. The princess’ greeting was new to him, so he was taken back a bit. She placed her fingers on his lips and the young man closed his eyes to do a brief reading. Strong, wise, dedicated. A’kaia opened his eyes and returned a warm smile to the woman, taking her hand into his own and bowing his head softly. “I want to thank you for taking the time and visiting our city.” Releasing her hand, A’kaia ushered the woman in the direction of a large palace which was across the oasis.

“I apologize if your travels were difficult. If not for this very oasis,” he gestured to the body of water they were walking around, “we would’ve built our city along the coast like others. I’m sure it is much more beneficial…especially for someone like myself.” The last part was in a hushed tone as the shaman’s mind wandered to his situation.

“I hear you are like our opposite. We are like the sun and you, the moon. The Mchawi have an affinity for water and your royal highness commands it best. Is it true?” A’kaia shook his head slightly in amazement. “Your goddess has a lot of faith in you.”

The two were greeted at the steps of the palace by servants. One held a cloak made of silk. The other a tray with clay cups with gold trim and a pitcher. A’kaia would allow the servant to cover him in the cloak and he would take the tray from the servant. “Wine?”

~~
Noelani

Last edited:
"I don't often travel so far from the sea or a river," Noelani admitted. "But considering all that it was a pleasant journey," if anyone could call riding on a camel pleasant. The beasts were an odd assortment of limbs that seemed to be controlled by a single brain cell that then grew aggravated at the world that it had to put in so much effort to do basic functions. "I'm glad to see water again though," she smiled, her eyes trailing over the bright oasis. It wasn't the sea but it was enough to soothe her spirit.

At his next comment however, Lani couldn't help but laugh.

"I wouldn't say I was the best, not yet at least," but there was a grin on her face as she said it. "I certainly plan to be," and the Elders thought she had the potential to be. She accepted the wine with a grateful nod.

"And from what I hear we have some connections, healing for example."

“I apologize for taking you from what you’ve familiarized yourself with,” he said sincerely, “you must be in so much discomfort.” He felt he had done a disservice to the woman. If he would’ve known about how much being near water meant to her, he wouldn’t have let this happen.

“Plan all you want, but remember your goddess has the final say.” He looked up at the sky. “No one knows better than I.” A’kaia had a solemn look on his face. He served no god but his own, proudly at that. In the short years that he’s served as a voice for his people’s goddess he’s learned that no matter who someone served, who they believed in, and the reason for it, their life was in the hands of that god now.

He was deep in his thought, A’kaia shook himself a little to get back to business. He took the pitcher and poured plenty of wine into both cups before offering one to Noelani. Then he led her to a secluded balcony with a view of the oasis. A feast was prepared and set out on a low table only a few inches off the ground. Two large plush pillows were set at opposite ends of the table across from each other. A’kaia offered her a seat first before sitting on one of the pillows himself and crossing his legs.

“I’ve always said healing is an important skill for people like ourselves.” A’kaia sipped his wine and smiled at Noelani. “Most leaders take pride in their army or wealth, it’s something to boast about to others and create meaningful alliances. But healing is an incredible skill. No matter how big your army is or immense your wealth is, your people will get hurt. Healing is a way of sympathizing, seeing their pain, and letting them know you are there to take care of them.” He sat his cup down and frowned. “I apologize, I didn’t mean to take it so far. But yes, I believe we have a lot in common.”

There was so much on his mind. He didn’t know how to ask the princess for help without sounding weak and helpless. Truthfully, he couldn’t admit to his weak status and the little control he had over Bauhala. The citizens would always believe in him, they would believe in his relationship with their goddess. It was those greedy, power-hungry officials— they had little faith in him and A’kaia doesn’t think they hold any respect for their people’s religion or culture anymore.

“Healing is a great asset. We do it so differently, I assume, no? My father once snuck in a tutor in modern healing for me. He’s a progressive man. I learned there are many ways to perform such a great task.”

A’kaia sipped his wine some more and the questions he had for Noelani suddenly came to him.

“Oh! Your royal highness, I heard you also command ships. A large naval fleet. Is it exciting?” [/b] The question was genuine curiosity. The shaman had never seen a warship before or better yet, a small boat for that matter. He was a young prince not long ago that wasn’t permitted to leave home.

~~~
Noelani

Lani wished she had inherited more of her siblings patience for the way of politics and the bits of small talk one had to perform before getting to the crux of the issue. It could be considered rude to bluntly ask what it was he had asked her audience for and she knew it would cause great disrespect, but the question was clawing its way up her throat and she used the wine to flush it back down.

"I must confess I know little about your ways of healing. For us, it is from the waters. Did you know more than half the world is water? Without it every creatures land and sea would die without it. It is a great source of everything we need to live and it is those elements my people can manipulate to heal," or at least, that was a simplified explanation of it. The Mchawi witches could spend hours lecturing on it.

"As for the command of ships, that is indeed my role as Vizier to the Empire," that question began to creep back onto her lips and she raised both eyebrows. "And I believe it was my title as Vizier that made you invite me here today, rather than as Princess of the Narufi'ti?" Of course, she did not know that for certain. But why else invite her and not one of her siblings?