Private Tales Sierra's Storytime

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Daisy's gaze narrowed. And she said accusingly. You! Were you the one I saw in the dark wood that night?"

"The pair of golden eyes slow blinked at her."

"It was too far and too dark to make out what those eyes belonged to. They almost seemed part of the water itself. Or perhaps its body was beneath the surface of the water. Daisy shivered to think what it could be"

• Dab
Reactions: Gaheris
"You tell good stories it whispered as Daisy looked down and leaned over. She was careful not to lose her grip. Her brow furrowed as she thought back to that night. It seemed like so long ago even though it hadn't been. The night she'd made a bargain with the night sky."

"A story for a wish."

"She remembered after the story. How she'd seen these eyes from the field. So bright with in the dark wood."

• Dab
"Is any of it true? Daisy called down. About the Hunter King and this castle?"

"The golden eyes seemed to disappear for a moment. Daisy worried she'd lost them entirely. And as she was about to pull away they returned. Another whisper. Some of it, the creature said."

"Did you lure me into the wood? Daisy asked, accusation rising again in her voice."

• Dab
"Did I make you go into the wood? The creature asked innocently. Daisy frowned down at it."

"The creature had a point. Still. Daisy couldn't help that she'd fallen for something. She just wasn't sure if it was a joke or a trap. It felt more like a trap now. But the way the creature spoke it screamed of a smile behind the whispers. And she wanted to scream and snap at it that this wasn't a joke. Her life was on the line!"

• Dab
"Maybe, it whispered. You should ask different questions. Another yellow-eyes blink in the shadow of the water."

"Daisy frowned. What did it mean? Her mind whirred even as she looked over her shoulder, wondering if anyone was watching her. About to come get her. But no one was there. Perhaps all in for lunch?"

"Her attention went back to the creature."

• Dab
"Her mind sharpened. She knew exactly what to ask it. She didn't know if it would give her an answer. Or if the answer would even be trustworthy. Only one way to find out."

"Daisy asked. How do I beat the Hunter King's challenge?"

"The creature chuckled. Those are the right questions to ask, it whispered. Golden-eyes widening. Do what you do best, it hissed before the golden eyes dipped entirely from view."

"Wait! Daisy called after it. What did it mean?"

• Dab
"But as Daisy peered into the waters below, they remained calm and undisturbed. The creature of those golden eyes long gone. Or hiding."

"Coward, she whispered out to the air. Shaking her head, she eased back from the railing. Turning, she finally headed back inside the castle toward the dining hall. She needed food and she needed to think."

• Dab
"The smells of lunch hit her nose immediately. And it smelled as delicious as breakfast had. Her stomach rumbled in anticipation. This time there weren't as many people in the dining hall. It had nearly cleared out. She looked for Storm but he was nowhere to be seen. Neither were the redhead or blonde."

"Finding her way back to the same table she'd sat at earlier, she took a seat. On the table were bowls of roasted potatoes and vegetables. Platters of fresh grilled and seasoned fish and chicken. Roasted sweet potatoes and corn. Giant bowls of salad with all toppings imaginable. And loaves of fresh, crusty bread with butter and jams."

"Daisy was not shy about filling up her plate."

• Dab
"Satisfied that it was full enough she took a seat and began filling her belly. Looking up, she frowned. She was alone in here. The place was empty. And there was a snap-pop in the air as the food began disappearing down the table on either side of where she sat."

"Pop!"

"Pop!"

"Pop!"

"She began shoveling the food faster into her mouth. This didn't look good. She chewed, chewed, and swallowed. Tried to eat faster."

• Dab
"Pop! The plate on her left disappeared."

"Daisy took a mouthful of fish and swallowed."

"Pop! The plate to her right disappeared. Daisy shoved a roll into her mouth."

"Then pop! Her own plate disappeared. A disgruntled groan left her half-stuffed mouth. At last that piece of roll was still on her lips. And right now more than anything, she hated magic."

"Looks like you almost missed lunch. It was the redhead, leaning in the dining hall door giving Daisy a mildly pitying look."

• Dab
"Mostly missed it, Daisy grumbled as she finished her roll. Not even a glass of water to clear out her mouth. Sighing, she stood and winced. Her aching muscles protesting from earlier. And she knew she looked a mess. Old sweat and dirt plastered on her face. Her braid long since frayed and barely holding up."

"Here, I'll show you to the kitchens where you can get a snack from the brownies, she motioned Daisy along. Daisy popped open her mouth about to say thank you but paused, remembering the warning from the Hop family."

"Great, she said instead and followed after her."

• Dab
"The redhead sniffed the air mildly above Daisy's head. And please tell me that Storm showed you were the baths were, earlier?"

"Daisy scowled as she looked up at the female. He did, she sighed. I wish he'd told me I would be training with Rosetta before letting me go in there, though."

"The redhead laughed. You only look like that after Rosetta. I'm mildly impressed."

"Daisy gave her a sideways glance as they walked onward. I can tell she's very skilled, Daisy said."

• Dab
"The redhead chuckled again. She is one of our best fighters, she told Daisy and lead her to a large wooden door that was somewhat behind the dining hall. Fingers curled into a fist and she knocked sharply. There was scurrying of feet on the other side and then the door opened."

"Daisy had to look downward instead of forward or up for a change. It was the same being she'd seen doing the laundry. She quickly offered a curtsy and cleared her throat. Would it be too much trouble to have some food? If there's any left?"

"The redhead laughed truly then and shook her head, stepping in. The brownie also gave her a funny look, like she was crazy."

• Dab
"Come girl, the brownies are servants. They will get you what you need. You do not need to ask."

"Well I...Daisy's voice trailed off. Just because they were servants didn't mean they should be respected less. But she followed the redhead inside. A few stools perched around an island. A roaring fire on one side of the kitchen with tons of pots with things cooking and boiling in them. It all smelled delicious."

"The redhead popped onto one of the stools and motioned for Daisy to do the same."

• Dab
"No sooner had Daisy sat a bowl of steaming stew went in front of her. A second bowl appeared a moment later filled with greens. And then some crusty bread and butter followed by a cup of some sort of liquid."

"Eat up, the redhead motioned and laughed at the look on Daisy's face. They're very fast. The brownies. The redhead explained."

"But what about the dining hall? Was that...them or is that magic? Daisy asked."

"Oh that was magic. Same as the baths I think Storm told you about. Some things in this castle have long since been enchanted. The rest are these workers."

• Dab
"Daisy began eating. Too worried that if she didn't the food would disappear like it had before. Even though she knew, or hoped she knew, it wouldn't. When she was done with the stew and salad, she took up the goblet and took a sniff. It smelled like some sort of juice. Taking a sip, she swallowed. Whatever it was, wasn't too sweet. And it tasted refreshing."

"Have the brownies always been here as workers? A question Daisy asked the redhead."

"They are the working class, the redhead said as if the question was a silly one. They have always worked for our kind."

• Dab
"Daisy thought about that as she finished eating. There was something more there but she didn't know where to begin. And she needed to concentrate on surviving the next day. Making it through longer."

"Once she was finished, the redhead showed her more of the castle. Some of the libraries and other outdoor areas. Daisy took another bath and found more clean clothes waiting for her. Another few sets. And by the time she was done, it was dinner time. She ate alone, taking in the staring. This time she didn't see Storm or Rosetta or the redhead."

• Dab
"Feeling the fatigue of the full day catching up with her, she took her bundle of clothes and retired to her tower room. Legs burned as she made it to the top. Bracing herself for the coldness, she flung open the door and paused. Stunned at what she saw."

"There was a fire place in the corner. Where one hadn't been before. A thick, warm rug decorated the floor. It looked like fresh sheets and a number of thick blankets were on the bed. And a rack to hang the clothes she had just gotten."

• Dab
"And for a moment, she wondered if she was in the right room. She looked behind her and double-checked. Had she gotten turned around?"

"No. This was the tower. The same place. Eyes swept the room and she saw her dress folded upon the desk with her old boots beneath. Everything freshly cleaned. Now she wanted to pay the brownies more than ever."

• Dab
"But she was ready for sleep. And to give her muscles a long rest. Slipping off her new shoes, she crossed the room and threw back the sheets and blankets, slipping into the warm bed. Eyes quickly closed and she was out. Dreaming about what the Hunter King might put her through tomorrow. Dreaming about what talent she would have to present him next."

"A loud knocking woke her suddenly the next morning. Grey light filtered through the room and she could tell the sun had barely risen. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she stumbled from the bed. Storm's voice came through the closed door."

"The Hunter King is summoning you. He said. Daisy, are you awake?"

"Bang. Bang. Bang."

• Dab
"Yes, she finally called rubbing the rest of the sleep from her eyes. I just need to get on my boots. Quickly getting from bed, she began dragging on her boots. A quick run of fingers through unkempt hair. Glad there was no mirror in here. A quick splash of water on her face and she yanked open the door."

"He wants me now, she asked, looking up at Storm."

"Yes, Storm confirmed and turned, walking down the stairs, assuming she'd follow."

"Knowing she had no choice, Daisy was quick behind. Do you know..who, Storm, did you see my room? A breathless question as she continued down the stairs."

• Dab