Private Tales Shelter Beneath the Wing

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She'd seen and heard some of his tantrums, and if this was him in control of his anger, she dreaded to think on what he had been like when he hadn't been. She listened, giving him undivided attention as he spoke so openly to her, and her brow slowly lifted.

"Oh.." she paused with a gentle nod.. "Well, I am sure there is far more to it than you setting out to murder your mother, Kaveh. If that were the case I'm sure either she or you wouldn't be here.." her head tilted.

"What happened?"

• Stressed
Reactions: Kaveh
He did not look at her, his eyes fixed on the horizon. "I don't know."

Kaveh admitted softly.

The memory was still little more than a haze within his mind. Clouded by a fog that always came with his rages. The Magus had always told him it was natural, a way for his mind to block off the trauma of his violent outbursts.

"I only know what others told me." He continued. "My father was not in the city at the time, and my brother ruled as Regent."

A normal custom, given that he was the heir. "In my fathers absence he made a decree, banning my presence at court."

His father had of course rescinded the word when he'd returned months later, but at the time there had been nothing Kaveh could do. That time in exile had been bad. He'd stewed, raged, his anger building for weeks until he could not take any more. "I confronted him weeks later. His only response was to needle and press, to poke and..."

The bitter words were the only thing he remembered. Being called a rabid dog. Unfit for his title. Every other barb his brother had offered him that day. "My mother was there, she tried to stop my brother but..."

Kaveh bit his tongue for a moment.

"When she touched me to try and comfort me, something...snapped." His lips thinned. "It took four members of the Royal Guard to pry me from her. Drag my fingers away from her throat."

The Prince frowned, then added. "I was Thirteen."

• Cry
Reactions: Briseis
Briseis was quiet as he spoke, her expression a sympathetic one..

"That sounds awful.. I'm sorry." she frowned, but as she had suspected there was far more to it than simple malice.

"Your brother had no right in doing what he did.. Yes, you lost control, but you can't hold yourself responsible for that when your brother was the cause of it. He might as well have attacked your mother himself.."

"I'm glad that it did not end as badly as it might have.. But if that rage you hold was truly you then you'd remember what you did." her head tilted. "Your brother knew exactly what he was doing, which says far more about him than it does about you, in my opinion."

• Bless
For a few seconds Kaveh just stood there, his eyes still set on the city in the distance. His expression seemed to hold that distant sorrow, but then he slowly turned to Briseis. "Thank you for saying that."

Whether it was his responsibility or not, it had been done.

The incident was one of many reasons that the nobility still despised him. That most of them would gladly see him dead. Rumors that swirled around him had always been there, and incidents like that had only ever made them worse.

"I know where the rage comes from." He said softly, glancing back at Rayvath and smiling ever so slightly. "And it is a burden I will bare."

The Prince mused. "My brother, is one of the larger problems we have to worry about."

Kaveh said, putting the conversation back towards Bri herself. "He will either try to have you killed, or find a way to use you before long."

Her hand pressed to her side as she listened to him, but if she felt any pain she didn't wear it on her face. She smiled softly as he turned to her, thanking her for her logic and hopeful that it might offer some semblance of comfort. That he might torment himself just a little less...

She followed his gaze to Rayvath as he spoke of his rage. Rayvath was the largest dragon she'd ever seen, and yet probably the most placid, which was out of character for a dragon of her breed. She'd lost herself in consideration when the subject changed to Kaveh's brother and she turned her gaze back to him..

"Wonderful.." she laughed under her breath, though there was little mirth in the sound. "I shall look forward to that very much." she murmured as she looked down, the blood finally seeping through her fingers from the slash in her flesh.. The pain, she could handle, but the sight of blood had never been one that she had dealt well with and she looked away, blinking away the lightheadedness..

"Would you mind.. passing me a cloth?" she frowned, pressing the bloodied hand back to the wound once more. Whether Ciraxis could feel the wound she bore, or simply scented the blood, he snarled to himself and slithered closer to huff hot air at her..

• Sip
Kaveh nodded his head, breaking away from Briseis and slowly wandering back into the suite. She would hear a few quick words spoken, though too quiet to truly be understood.

A few moments later he returned, a white cloth hanging over one arm as in his hands he carried a bowl of water. "I've called for Mahsa."

The Prince said as he placed the bowl onto one of the tables that sat on the balcony, motioning for Briseis to join him.

"She'll stitch up the wound and ensure it won't catch." His third wife was known by many as a Sorceress. It was a ridiculous notion of course. Mahsa was simply an acolyte of knowledge. She spent her days toiling away in the Royal Archives and Libraries, studying and learning.

Kaveh trusted her more than he did any physician.

Briseis sighed quietly and nodded. She loathed to bother anyone with her needs, but that was another adjustment she was trying to get used to since she’d been residing in the palace. She had never seen so many servants, and it often took self restraint not to fall back into her working ways.

She pushed herself to her feet to join him on the balcony, her fingertips brushing the smooth scales of Ciraxis’ cheek. “I’m alright..” she assured him in a hushed tone. And she was, so long as she didn’t see the wound…

“Thank you..” she smiled, hesitating as she approached the balcony again.. “I’m afraid Shirian’s vest is ruined.” she winced, the water turning pink as she dipped her bloody hand into it to take the cloth and wring it out.

“So… About your brother’s possible plans to kill me..” she continued as she pressed the cloth to her side to mop up as much of the blood as she could..

• Thoughtful
"She has plenty others" He somewhat doubted that Shirian would even notice, much less care.

The Royal Family, much like most of the nobility in Thanasis were obscenely rich. They above all profited upon the mercenary nature of the city, and over the centuries their wealth had grown even more. Even Kaveh, least beloved of the Royals had his own personal hoard, though most of it was already spoken for on certain project.

As Briseis began to clean the wound at her side Kaveh leaned against the table. "Or use you."

The Prince added.

"Nasri is not easy to predict." Kaveh said, some irritation tuning his voice. "He is the eldest, and I will admit..."

It was clear that he hated to do so. "He is the most practiced strategist of us."

Kaveh played the game well, understood the Nobility and the Commons. Knew how to use the both of them, but Nasri? He could play the whole of Thanasis like an orchestra. His brother was clever, a schemer and intrigant whom even their father could not wholly understand. "I do not know what he is planning, only that he will be."

As the Prince spoke the sound of shoes could be heard shuffling down the hall beyond.

"Right.." she bobbed her head. "Or that.." she huffed quietly, unsure what exactly he might plan to use her for, and then she forced herself to stop thinking.

"I don't know whether it's wiser to remain here or wiser to leave.." she looked to Ciraxis who lay there staring grumpily at her. "Or perhaps we just leave this place entirely.." she frowned. She could do that now, couldn't she?

Her attention turned toward the sound of shuffling feet and Mahsa was allowed into the room. Briseis straightened and smiled softly to the woman. "Hello, Mahsa.. I had a bit of a flying accident.. I'm sorry if I've disturbed you."

• Thoughtful
Kaveh shook his head. "I have thought many times about leaving, Bri."

In his childhood he had dream of it at night. It had been all he dreamed of. Climbing onto Rayvath and setting out, fleeing into the wilderness of the world and finding somewhere new to live. Somewhere people didn't despise him. Where they didn't want him dead.

Yet he had never gone.

"But the trouble with running, is that the sort of problems we have tend to follow." He glanced up at the two Dragons for a moment. His eyes lingering on Rayvath and Ciraxis.

It was often said that having a Dragon, a bond, was a path to freedom unlike any other in Thanasis. But the truth was it would never be so simple. "We will deal with my brother, whatever it is he plans."

"Always so troublesome, your brothers." Masha said as she shook her head, crossing the floor of Kaveh's suite. In her arms she cradled a small tray, carrying it over to the table and offering them both a warm smile. "Nonsense, Briseis."

The scholar insisted as she stepped up besides them, placing the tray down and planting a small kiss on Kaveh's cheek. "I am ever willing to mend the wounds of my Husband and those who see him as what he truly is."

Mahsa said, smiling at Briseis as she set to work.

”Besides.” She added with a grin. ”I’ve quite come to like you myself.”

• Cthuloo
"Hm.. I think it would be far easier for me to disappear, than it would be for you.." she sighed. "But you're right.. Running isn't the answer. I just... Have a long way to climb." she laughed under her breath, and gave a light nod at his reassurance.

Her smile warmed as Mahsa dismissed her apology and kissed Kaveh's cheek. His wives were each clever and brilliant in their own ways, but what should have said far more about the Prince than the rumours that floated around the great city, was that they each loved him.

Briseis blindly rinsed her hands as she allowed Mahsa to work, making every effort that she could to keep the blood out of her sight. She had plenty blood left to rush to her cheeks at the grin Mahsa shone at her, however..

"Oh.. Well, I'm honoured to have won your favour, My Lady. I very much like you too." she smiled.

• Popcorn
"The honor, is all mine." Mahsa said as she continued to gently stitch up the wound on Briseis' side. Offering a brief smile.

Her touch was surprisingly soft, and it was more than clear the young woman had done this before. Likely with various wounds Kaveh had received. An ointment was gently applied after the stitches, no doubt some concoction she had worked up over the years.

"Mahsa." Kaveh began. "We'll will need to leave the Palace soon without anyone noticing."

It would be a day or two yet, but these things took time to plan. "Of course, my dearest husband. Shirian and I will take care of it. And where might you be going?"

She asked, curiosity and a hint of disapproval tinging her tone. "Ōmeyōcān."

Kaveh answered, receiving only a simple 'ah' in return.

Briseis tried to focus on anything else as Mahsa worked, and she held her breath at the sting of ointment before letting it tumble free as it started to cool and soothe.. "Thank you, Mahsa." she smiled warmly at her, but the relief on her face quickly gave way to curiosity as she looked to Kaveh.

Her brow rose and her lips parted. "I’m.. starting my training?..” she asked. “There?..” her brow furrowed and she gave a nervous smile..

They were going to eat her alive.

• Popcorn
The reverberating sound of Rayvath's wings echoed out in the ancient canyon. Wind rushing in a hurling vortex down below the Great Dragon as she descended onto the ground. Dust and stone flying, the earth shaking as her four gigantic claws dug into the ground.

All around them, rising far above the canyon walls stood towering likenesses of dozens of dragons. They rose into the air, taller than the titans of old. Each of them intricately carved and perfectly represented. All bearing names long written in Thanasian history.

Between the huge stone monuments were cliffside homes.

Some abandoned, some still occupied by the Ascended who now lived here.

Rayvath, and the Dragon just at her heel landed in a small cutaway of the ancient Ascended training ground. Hidden away in a pocket, the carved homes around them standing completely by themselves. An ancient and looming quiet seeming to hang over them even with the howling of the wind.

From the Dragon's back stood Kaveh.

Still dressed in the same Princely robes, he stepped down the nape of Rayvath's wing, descending onto the ground with practiced ease.

• Nervous
Ciraxis was relatively large as dragons went, but the sight of Rayvath flying below was enough to rob her of breath. The red dragon was at least five times the size of Ciraxis, and how Kaveh managed to ride with such ease was a marvel that she'd have likely appreciated a little more had she not been so rigid with tension.
The white dragon liked to dive and climb and swoop, especially when Rayvath was around for any chance of impressing her. Briseis had not yet learned how to control the dragon in flight, but her fear did nothing to deter him from his performances.

Briseis was a shade paler by the time they landed and she took a long moment with the back of her hand pressed to her lips to ensure that her last meal wouldn't make a reappearance. Shirian had dressed her in fine black leathers decorated with sleeves of silver dragon scale, and in fact she'd felt rather empowered in the outfit.

Her boots crunched on gravel as she walked toward Kaveh, her mouth slightly open as she took in her surroundings. "I have never met an ascended.." she commented quietly. She hoped they might accept her a little more openly than most in the city had done, then again, she had been freely given what these people had worked so hard to achieve.. Excitement quickly turned to anxiety and she balled her hands into fists..

"Did you train here?" she asked, her gaze still wandering the cliffs..

• Popcorn
The two Dragons were both small in comparison to the giant statues that looked down upon them. Kaveh seemed to barely take notice, already moving towards one side of the canyon with a short wave for Briseis to follow.

Though the wonders around them were undeniable, the Prince had seen them all before.

In his youth he had spent days at a time here, all sequestered and hidden. Most of that time had been spent in tutelage, but there had been ample opportunity to explore. It had been simpler then, getting away. Nobody had cared so much.

"Yes." He said, then quickly added."And no."

Kaveh looked over his shoulder as he reached a set of steps carved into the canyon wall. "No one knows I trained here, I mean. So while I did, it was not widely known."

He gestured towards the bend of the canyone. "It is why we're in the...empty part."

• Thoughtful
Her neck hurt from looking up as she followed after Kaveh, but she couldn't stop staring at the gargantuan sculptures.

"Oh.." she answered.. "That makes sense.." she answered with a shrug.

"I-is this where I'll train?" she asked, hopefully. Away from the others, where she might at least protect what dignity she had left.

• Devil
"Yes." Kaveh answered, though in his own mind dignity had nothing to do with it. Unbeknownst to either of them it was the perfect show of their upbringing, and where they were now. All the Prince thought of was safety.

Making sure she would not be found, not be killed through this.

Whether that danger was real or not, Kaveh's paranoia would not allow him to toss the precaution to the side. It had been an easy choice to bring Briseis here instead of having her train at the Academy, or even in the main halls of this most ancient temple.

"Part of the time." He explained further. "You'll still need to be seen in the city, but we can start you here for now."

As they began to tread up carved steps Kaveh continued. "You'll start with my old master."

He told her with a smile, a voice booming out seconds later.

"Who are you calling old?!"

Briseis nodded.. "I know.." she agreed, understanding that she couldn't continue to hide away. "Thank you, Kaveh.." she added quietly. "With any luck you may just ensure my survival yet.." she smiled nervously. She owed him so much as it was..

"I do hope they have the patience for---" she stopped herself with a jolt in fright as the voice came from nowhere..

• Nervous
"I would hope it will be so." The Prince cut in before the source of the other voice stepped out from his hovel.

The man who appeared was dressed in ragged robes. Small plates of armor covered his shoulder and chest, gleaming to perfection, but the rest of his clothing left much to be desired. His eyes were a bright blue, face covered in a thick beard with long hair.

He stared down at the Prince and his companion, expression as stern as rock.

"Kaveh."

Not Prince.

"Who in great Tyrrex's name is this? And why have you disturbed my mountain? It's been fifteen years, I'd thought I'd be rid of you by now."

A long breath filled Kavehs lungs, and he slowly gave Briseis an apologetic look. "Logain, this is Briseis, and I thought she might learn from you."

The man scoffed, his head shaking as he turned and stumbled back into his abode.

Kaveh let out a curse, motioning for her to follow as he quickly ascended the rest of the steps and followed the unbalanced man inside. Logain hobbled his way into the small mountain abode, walking towards a table and snapping up a clay bottle.

"I'm not fit to teach shit."

The man said, taking a long swig.