Open Chronicles Shallow Grave

A roleplay open for anyone to join
His head tilted for a moment as Kassa approached him, lips thinning slightly as she spoke of the coin.

For a moment Nasir wondered what she could want with the artifact. There was still a lingering piece of him that was loathe to part with it. The magic of the coin was gone, but it was still something of his people. A token that was not often found in these lands.

”The magic of the coin is gone.” Nasir said as he raised up a hand, holding the artifact between his thumb and the index of his knuckle.

There she would see the depiction of a Drow much like Nasir itself, save his garb was far more ornate than what he himself wore. On the opposite side was a depiction of the Undercity.

”It’s price paid long ago.” He spoke the truth. ”Now it is only a token of our people.”

Nasir glanced at Myrra. ”If it is magic you want. I can offer you a far better reward.”

His eyes turned back towards Kassa Humans were greedy little things. That was something he had learned long ago. It was an emotion that he could understand, and if there was no need for blood, he would offer it.

Nasir was powerful but his hubris did not overcome him. Even he could not fight the entire Shallows.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Myrra
“Gone?” Kassa echoed. She peered closely at the coin Nasir held aloft. With a single, deft movement, she plucked it from his hand and turned it to and fro, examining it, taking in the engraved depictions. They were exquisite pieces of art, with the coin itself being of a strange sort of metal she had never seen before. Other than that, she neither saw nor felt nothing. Indeed, whatever magic it once had notwithstanding, it was now just a coin. A worthless coin.

This didn’t diminish her interest however. “Hmm. Intriguing. Not gold, not silver… resilience of the first, yet intricately carved, and once enchanted.” A pause. Finally, “I see,” she said, offering the coin back to Nasir. “I might be able to repair it… I would have to study it further. Magic is fickle, and many time impermanent, true, but it can be manipulated and forged, like any other tool.”

She glanced at Myrra and then back at Nasir. There was another pause. Then, “I have a reward to pick up in the Inner City from a certain noble. But if you can offer something better than the priceless gems he offered me, why, I could be tempted. Though I would know for what, and why. Everything comes with a price,” she added, as if to no one in particular.

“As for your orc…” she flashed a charming smile at Myrra. “I did not ‘help’. But it was no trouble. We are more common than you may suspect, after all.”

• Popcorn
Reactions: Myrra and Nasir
Myrra was completely transfixed on the coin. As soon as Nasir presented it she could make out the depiction of a drow, someone that looked like her. It was thrilling to consider that this was the first object made by her people she had ever seen.

When Nasir spun the circular piece of metal around to reveal a city her head arched in a mix of confusion and curiosity. Was that their home? Or at least, her parents and Nasir’s home. It made sense that there would be a dark elven city but Myrra had never considered that such a place might actually exist outside of a young girl’s fantasy.

She set the wine glass down and brought her left hand up to her chin. Rubbing her soft flesh with thumb and forefinger her mouth parted to speak until she forced it back shut. The flurry of questions dashing through her mind begged to come out. Maybe the older dark elf had answers to at least a few of them. Most prominently though was the singular query of, ‘is that a city of dark elves?’ and ‘can we go there?’ But she dared not ask, not yet at least.

After what felt like eternity the elf finally blinked her cardinal red eyes. Once they reopened the coin wasn’t in Nasir’s hand, it was present in Kassa’s. The ordeal made the younger drow jump in anticipation until she realized that Kassa was merely examining it closer and muttering about its properties.

Once the metallic object was handed back and the woman in emerald addressed her Myrra offered a simple nod. Modesty was an admirable trait and whoever this human was had it in spades.

“Is that home?” she asked meekly, unable to contain herself any longer.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir
"It is." He said softly to Myrra, an odd longing clinging within his tone.

He took the coin back from Kassa and rolled it into his hand, clutching it for a brief moment before he offered it with his open Palm towards Myrra.

The Drow waited for her to take it, and then returned his attention to the mage in front of him.

"Gems?" Nasir clicked his tongue. "I judged you better than the other one."

Money and pretty things, how droll. Was that all she was after? His eyes narrowed for a second, and he decided perhaps not. She was right in that there was a price, but for his sake it was not a major one. "The Coin was not the only thing I took from this city."

He reached behind the small of his back and pulled an amulet from a small pouch.

The trinket was an ornate one, though it's hard edges and careful cut marked it as a far different design than the more subtle coin.

"This is no longer of use to me, but perhaps it will be to you." The thing was actually not from Alliria at all, but was instead taken by him from a city far to the east of here. It was of dwarven make, and when properly utilized could allow one passage into an ancient Dwarven Hold east of the spine. From it a map could be summoned that would lead one there.

Nasir had intended to venture to the Hold himself, another place to seek his bridge home. Yet now that he had found Myrra, it would not be necessary. "The price is a simple one; You forget about all of this."

• Popcorn
At Nasir’s remark about the gems she had earned, Kassa smirked and laughed. Her laughter was light, a pleasing tinkle of sound. She wagged a finger at Nasir. “Darling, money moves the world. Surely you’re not so foolish as that? People. Cities. Kingdoms, nations. All moved and erected by money.” Kassa paused, then nodded, as if understanding something unspoken.

She tilted her head as Nasir procured the amulet. It was a very pretty thing. Kassa recognized the design immediately. Dwarven. She had not much to do with the hardy race and did not intend to travel to their hold anytime soon, but perhaps that would change. Kassa did not know where her quest would take her. Yes, perhaps such a trinket could hold some use should the future take an odd sort of turn.

She picked if from Nasir’s hand. “Thank you, honey.”

She regarded him with an unreadable expression then as he made his request. “Forget? Ah, but you are so interesting, my Lord.” She smiled at Myrra. “Not to say that you aren’t as well, dear.” She turned back to Nasir, settling her hands on her hips, eyebrows raised. “Your secrets are safe with me, Nasir, but it just so happens I am seeking certain… assets and resources that cannot be found here, or among humans at all, that is. I would ask to come with you. I would be most grateful and I think I could offer services that could prove useful to you.” She paused.

“You think me merely a caster of silly spells?” she continued. “I am much more than just that, sir.”

• Sip
  • Yay
Reactions: Nasir and Myrra
Lips twisted as she took one last hard look at the piece of metal in Nasir’s open palm. Eventually her hand moved forwards to retrieve it from his palm. She grasped the piece of metal tight, flipping it over a few times before rubbing the intricately cut details of the elven city.

“It is.”

That was all he had managed to say in response to her question. The words themselves were neutral but his tone had the slightest hint of melancholy. Curious. Had it been awhile since he had been to their home? Had he ever been to their home?

When Nasir’s price was declared she could tell from Kassa’s demeanor that the human wouldn’t just depart from them. At least not without a convincing sales pitch which was provided. Myrra returned the coin, city side up, to Nasir and gave Kassa a brief smile.

“Would it be so bad?” the younger drow questioned. “Another pair of eyes to keep watch at night.”

Although she barely knew either of these two she felt a lukewarm trust towards them. Nasir was the first of her kind that had knowledge of her people. Kassa could’ve attacked her earlier when that foolish orc had made threats.

“Not to mention two dark elves may attract unwanted attention,” Myrra said to punctuate her point.

• Thoughtful
Nasir considered for a few moments.

He did not feel the need to divulge to Myrra that they would not have traveled as two Drow, deciding such knowledge would be imparted when they were away from prying ears. The older Dark Elf was already loathe to reveal any secrets, much less that of his magics.

Fingers tightened, and after a few moment he gave a single nod of his head. "Very well."

Nasir was loathe to travel with a human companion once more, but he could see both Myrra and this mageling had powerful intent. He'd already gotten his victory here, and he figured a small concession would not harm him too much.

Though he would set the pace.

With Myrra by his side there was a very real possibility he would be able to get home. The Undercity had been denied to him for centuries, and now a path would lay back through it's gates. The thought brought the first flicker of excitement he'd felt in decades.

"If you have any remaining business in this city I suggest you conclude it." The words were addressed to the both of them, Nasir taking the coin and sliding it back into his pocket. "We leave before dawn."

• Cheer
With plans made, Kassa did not stay idle. She wrote a note to the Antoine’s father, declaring that she would forego payment at that time in favor of a later date. She checked and refilled her traveling pack, ensuring she had emergency rations, medicines, and other items she would need. She rented a room at the same tavern as Nasir, and retired early to be sure she would wake at the proper time.

It was an hour before dawn when she stepped outside, freshly bathed and dressed anew in green traveler’s garb. She headed to the small stable behind the tavern where she had hitched her horse but two days ago, tipping the stable boy a good sum to make sure it was well groomed and cared for.

Of a rich, earthy color, Chance was a sturdy stallion of mixed blood, no good for show or breeding, so she had bought him at a low price. He had served her well, loyally carrying her burdens and herself, requiring only the occasional sugar cube or carrot in return. She fed him one of the latter as she led him out front and waited for Nasir and Myrra.

When Nasir arrived, Chance snorted in derision, though Myrra he nosed and whickered softly in mild curiosity, stamping one hoof as if in gruff approval. Kassa laughed.

“Do animals usually like you, sweetheart?”

Myrra’s night was filled with tossing and turning interrupted only briefly by the respite of slumber. Thousands of thoughts pestered her consciousness causing the comfort of rest to stay only at arm’s length. Once the moon was nearly at the border of the horizon the young drow gave up her attempts at rest. Rising from the bed and proceeding out the door into the cold of pre-dawn morning.

Knuckles massaged her eyelids as she greeted her companions with a sleepy yawn. The brisk morning air subsided a degree when the warmth of Chance’s nose radiated off Myrra’s cheek. His greeting was a welcome one and the dark elf rubbed the bridge of his snout. To Kassa’s inquiry she responded with a coy smile, “looks like it, never really had any pets.”

She considered for a moment whether Nasir and she would also be riding horses. The elven girl had many talents but she was a pretty lousy equestrian.

“So, where are headed?” she questioned Nasir, attempting to not seem overeager.

• Popcorn
Nasir motioned passed Kassa where the stable boy was attempting to wrestle with a large Black Stallion. He had taken the mount some months ago from a wizard.

It was a mount bred for war. Though Nasir found it still inadequate, mostly because the surface world had no Arachaia. Or rather, no living ones. The great spiders of the Undercity were faster than horses, and generally far smarter. Though he had learned early on that their sight was...not appreciated in most towns.

"North West." He said in answer to Myrra, motioning for her to come closer. He did not do the same to Kassa, though made no move to stop her from doing so either. "There is a range of Mountains between the Borders of the Falwood and the Aberresai Savannah."

He glanced at Myrra. "There we will find the first step to home."

And Nasir would find out if he could break chain that bound him.

Without another word Nasir stepped passed Kassa and grasped the reigns of the Stallion, slipping something into the Stable Boy's palm before pulling himself into the saddle. He then guided the mount over to Myrra, offering her his hand to ease her climb into the saddle behind him.

Many questions were stirring in Kassa’s mind, but she gave voice to none of them. Not only did she believe that Nasir and Myrra knew of no answers, she believed they would be answered soon enough on their own. She was patient; she could wait. Sometimes the wisest thing one could do was stay silent and observe. That was exactly what she did as Nasir gave his scant details on where they were going.

Kassa patted Chance on his broad neck before vaulting onto his back. While she was not a master rider, she sat easily in the saddle, with one hand on the horn to steady herself as the mount shifted beneath her. Riding was a skill she believed might save her life one day, and she had heard many stories where it indeed preserved the life of the protagonist. Even a relatively slow horse could outrun an angry man on foot.

Not that she had a lot of enemies she would leave alive… but mistakes happen.

She gently tapped Chance’s side with her feet, urging him into a light trot to follow Nasir and Myrra. As they headed northwest through the city, a few men and women stopped to stare at the dark elves. Merchants could be seen whispering to their guards, wary that their goods might be stolen. Children, young minds poisoned by prejudicial upraising, ran to hide behinds stalls and carriages. Though the Drow were not unheard of, their reputation preceded them.

Nasir’s foreboding presence, of course, helped nothing.

“How long will it take to get to the mountains?” Kassa finally asked idly. “I have not traveled so far in my life.”

“First step towards home?” the onyx colored elf wondered aloud.

She grasped Nasir’s hand and steadied herself up onto the back of the steed. Placing both hands on the lower part of his back to steady herself she gave a brief, “ok,” to signal she was ready to go. The dark stallion of Nasir’s was muscular and strong so Myrra assumed it was best they were riding two on this horse rather than Kassa’s. Still, Chance seemed much friendlier.

Trotting through the outskirts of The Shallows brought many prying eyes which was something the drow had become accustomed to. As a girl it used to bother her but when your entire life is filled with gaping mouths and dilated pupils you learn to push it into the background.

Myrra dared not question the length of the ride for fear of disapproval from Nasir who seemed intensely stern. But when Kassa finally asked the duration of their trip it was a bit relieving for the elf. Her legs were sore and her feet had felt numb hours ago. Their pace was swift enough that the joints of her fingers were turning white from how tightly she had gripped onto the older dark elf’s sides. Though she wouldn’t admit it, she could use a break or the sudden appearance of a mountain range.

“It could be that the horses need a rest,” Myrra echoed the viridian dressed woman’s sentiment. “Are those the peaks of the range?”

Lifting one finger towards the horizon she gestured towards what she assumed was a rising mountain range though in reality it could’ve been a patch of trees. Visibility was a challenge from the back of the mount’s saddle.

• Sip
"A month." Nasir answered as he pulled on the reigns of his horse.

He could hear the exhaustion in his companions voices. His instinct was to drive them further, to push the lines, but they had traveled for a full day now and Alliria was out of sight.

A small amount of rest would do them good.

He slipped off of his mount with a deadly grace, his boots not making a single sound as he landed upon the dirt road. "Plenty of time for you to learn what you need of our people."

Nasir was keenly aware that a month of travel for most beings was the most boring and droll thing one could conceive of. He himself had gotten used to it after three centuries of wandering, but those of shorter lifespans often complained.

He waited for Myrra to dismount, glancing over at Kassa. "Have you never left Alliria?"

There was no judgement to his tone, simple interest.

If Kassa too felt sore from the ride, she did not say so, nor did she look it. Sitting astride the saddle, she appeared as calm and composed as anyone who had lived their life on a horse. Only a slight, nearly imperceptible sigh suggested she might be tired as she slipped down from her mount, her booted feet making as little sound as Nasir’s.

Already the sun was drifting toward the horizon, and a few early stars glimmered in the distance. Streaks of deep mauve and gold painted the sky, creating a picturesque portrait of the heavens that would soon give way to a clear and cool night. Peering across the landscape, Kassa saw little but trees and a few moving figures – likely other travelers – asserting that Nasir’s estimate of a month’s travel was probably accurate.

She lifted a finger to her lips in thought as Nasir spoke to her. She thought about lying, but a quick glance at the dark elf suggested it would not be a good idea. “I am from the farmlands of Elbion,” she admitted, “but after some… difficulties, I rode a carriage to Alliria. Truth be, I slept most of the way, so I don’t remember much of it.”

She looked him and Myrra over. “Do either of you hunt? I can cook a dish of some vegetables to eat, if you like, but it would taste better with some meat. Unless, of course, you would prefer to travel during the night as well.” She smiled sympathetically at Myrra, who looked a bit worn. “A few days of riding will toughen the legs, my dear.”

• Popcorn
A month? Today had marked the longest she had ever ridden on a horse. Twenty nine more days of that sounded unpleasant. Though the reward of having a home at the end made the realization bittersweet. She’d get used to the misery of horseback. Probably.

Myrra clumsily dismounted the dark stallion, limping slightly as she stepped away from the beast.

“Sorry, not used to riding like that,” she explained.

She swirled her head in a circular motion, the sound of several stiff bones cracking in response. The ache of a full day’s ride was constant and it made her initial motions off the horse a bit amusing to watch. Myrra used both hands to pat dust off her pant legs and looked up towards the pair.

“I grew up in Elbion as well,” she communicated towards Kassa. “Though I lived in the city, near the ports.”

Food sounded lovely to the drow, the idea of additional travel not so much but it was best not to admit that. “I’m awful with a bow, I can fish but I don’t see any sort of stream nearby.” Myrra swallowed, took a few more eccentric steps, and lied, “we can continue traveling if needed.”

The elven girl was more intrigued by Nasir’s comments of learning about her people than anything else though. That seemed pressing when compared to the trivalty of eating or being sore.

“I know this may seem silly, but, I’d love to know anything more about our kind” she stated to the older drow earnestly.

Wanting to clarify the dark elf gulped down the lump in her throat and said, “it’s just that, well, I know nothing of our culture or ways or where we came from.”

• Popcorn
"We'll rest for today, though there will be some days where we will press on." They would be traveling through dangerous territories. Bandits and mercenaries would be the least of their worries in some parts of their journey.

Nasir knew this, for he had made the trip in this area more than once. The last time had been three decades ago when he'd decided to journey to Vel Anir. The decision had been a fruitful one, though his trip had ended rather sourly.

"I will set snares." He offered. "I have neither spear nor bow to hunt with."

The chance of catching something was lukewarm, but they could still try. Besides, he'd taken some rations from the Inn which would be fine. Dried meat and the like, not the best food, but good enough.

Nasir wandered to the stallion and grasped one of the saddlebags, quickly beginning to set up a small camp as he spoke to Myrra. "What would you like to know?"

He did not exactly know where to start.

"Our people have a long history." He smiled. "Longer than that of our Kin in the Falwood."

Or so they liked to brag.

• Thoughtful
Kassa raised a brow at Myrra’s words pertaining to her wish to know more about her kind. To gain knowledge about one’s heritage – how was that silly? Kassa shook her head as she relieved Chance of one of his saddlebags. Was Myrra worried at somehow offending or troubling Nasir with her questions? Kassa glanced at the tall drow, who finally smiled at last, for the first time since they had met.

As the two dark elves spoke to each other, Kassa busied herself with the makeshift camp. She pulled down from her horse a small but efficient sleeping roll and laid it on the ground. An iron pot strung by the handle to the saddle followed, and from another pack she procured a sealed bag of vegetables; sliced carrots, zucchini, spinach, and an assortment of other edibles all were tossed into the pot.

Kassa pulled out a flask of some clear liquid. When she opened it a tantalizing, savory aroma filled the air as she drizzled the sauce over the vegetables before sealing the bottle once again and stashing it away.

A fire was necessary to cook. Unfortunately, trees and therefore firewood were rare.

Kassa disliked wasting her resources, but she had promised a meal. Magic would have to do.

Moving to a clear, flat patch of ground, she placed her hand on the rough earth, closing her eyes.

“Burn,” she whispered.

The temperature dropped sharply, for single instant before rising again as a bloom of vivid golden flames erupted around her hand. She moved her fingers in a smooth wave, as if stroking a beloved pet’s scruff. With each motion the fire grew until it was a suitable size, circular and under perfect control.

She put the pot on top of the fire and sat down, content to watch the food and listen to her companions.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Talus
Everything. That was what she wanted to know. Any and every individual facet of dark elven history or society that Nasir knew, Myrra wished to learn.

“How difficult will our language be to learn? What do you mean our kind came before the elves of Falwood? Why are there so few of us?” she quickly closed her mouth realizing that questions asked in rapid succession likely made a bad impression.

“Uh, sorry, why don’t we just start with a simple, where do we come from?” she asked.

Initially Myrra stood silently while the other two worked on the camp. She quickly snapped to attention and tried to keep busy while waiting for his response, it wouldn’t do for them to see her as a burden. Hastily she assisted with the camp setup, tended to the two horses, and breathed in the rich aroma from Kassa’s simmering pot. The thought of a hearty meal made the drow glad she had advocated for the human to accompany them.

In a cheerful mood the elf chimed, “smells wonderful.”

He considered the question for a moment and decided he would provide an answer in two parts.
Nasir was almost certain that Myrra meant the physical place of their origin, but she had asked of their society as well.

"The histories of our people claim that we were forged by the Old Gods themselves." Nasir scowled slightly at the mention of the Elder God's, but he would not taint this lesson with his own beliefs. At least not until Myrra understood more. "Forged from the very pieces of their fallen Brothers. The Elder God's brought us into this world as a hand for their influence."

That was what the priests had said all his life, what they had claimed. He still remembered the talks of rituals, bringing the Power of the gods back into being so that their life could continue on. The machinations of men in power. "Our purpose was to act where they could not, upon this world where their power is but a fraction of what it could be."

The five laws, as they were called by most scholars. Binding gods and demons alongside man.

For a few seconds Nasir paused, glancing at Myrra and the human as they moved around the camp. Then slowly he continued his tale.

"Their strength was ours and with it we founded an Empire." He glanced at Myrra. "Hundreds of miles of tunnels, holds, villages, all tied together by the jewel of our people; The Undercity."

His eyes seemed hollow as he spoke. "Once we controlled it all. Thousands, not just us, but others as well. Deep gnomes, goblins, ogres. They paid homage to us as the Kings we were."

Nasir opened his palm for a moment, an odd purple shadow appearing. Slowly it grew to a flame, a circular fire appearing within his hand that twisted into a depiction of a great city within dark caverns. Beautiful buildings etched not out of stone, but constructed with impossible lines and turns.

"Yet as the years went by our glory faded, much of the Empire fell as complacency and infighting took hold." His lips thinned. "Squabbling over God's, over the rights of the privelaged and the demands of those who held favor quickly set fire to our people. Paranoia claimed our leaders, fear of losing what little favor of the God's we had left. Slowly we began to close ourselves off from all but a few."

He frowned. "It is not that there aren't many of us Myrra. Most have simply chosen to hide themselves away to keep what they have."

Nasir could not keep the anger from his tone.

"When I left, the state of our people was not what it could be." Though he had tried to change it.

What a grand tale.

As Kassa kept careful watch on the simmering vegetables, so too did she listen to Nasir’s tale. Ancient gods and fabulous cities, old races and noble lineage; it was all fascinating to her. The allure only increased as Nasir summoned forth a visage of a great underground city. Impossible, beautiful architecture reflected in their eyes, buildings that could only be created by the cleverest of hands, envisioned by only the most ingenious of minds.

But such things were doomed to impermanence. Clear disappointment showed in Kassa’s face as Nasir brought his tale to an anticlimactic end. Time had once again proved itself the murderer it was, a hungry beast that had devoured even the beauty of Nasir’s kingdom.

She shook her head as she procured a ladle with which to stir the vegetables, mixing the greens together into a fine medley. She added some more of the liquid and a pinch of a dark-colored spice. If Nasir set snares, they might eat some meat for breakfast the following day, but for now, they would have to subsist on vegetables and the dried slabs of meat she pulled from her pack. Slicing it apart with a knife taken from her boot she tossed the meat into the pot, whereupon it softened and began to steam.

“Almost done, darling,” she said to Myrra. “I hope you have dishes. I only have a bowl for myself.” She looked up at Nasir with a curious frown. She could no longer keep quiet. “Why did you leave, only return now? Are you trying to restore lost glory, milord?”

• Sip
When Nasir began to speak the younger drow continued to try and assist with campsite preparations. Once his tale was a sentence or two in however she stood silently. Fully enraptured in his story, not wanting to miss a single detail. The sounds of dusk faded away as she listened intently to his description of their race ruling from a glorious place known as the Undercity. She could practically see it through her mind’s eye until he materialized a model of it in purple shadow.

Her cheeks became flushed, her eyes lighting up in excitement, she imagined all the wonder and glory that would await their arrival.

Then it all turned as he explained the downfall. Petty disagreements and dogma. It made her stomach turn in disgust. The home she had never known was on the decline though how dire it truly was she couldn’t know. When she detected anger in his voice it made sense. She’d just learned all of this and yet, for some reason, it frustrated her too.

“They hide underground?” she questioned, perplexed at the idea of many more of her people hoarding an idea of past glory in a hovel deep below the surface.

Myrra sat down near the pot of food in a manner to still be facing Nasir. “Do you think you can change it? I could help you,” she offered in the way a child believes they will revolutionize the world, “if things aren’t as they should be then maybe the two of us could help in some way.”

She bit her lip and thought hard. It was foolish to propose such a thing. The dark elf had just learned the first thing of her kind and was so eager and willing to belong that she was already proposing to improve a society she didn’t understand.

“Sorry, I’m sure it’s more complicated than that,” she said.

Unbuckling a strap on her side pouch her thumb and forefinger produced a small tin mug. Holding it up by her face and looking towards the human she grinned in a satisfied manner. The sound of hunger made itself known as her stomach rumbled.

Kassa’s inquiry followed and it produced the same curiosity on Myrra’s face as well. Why had the proud elf departed from home? He seemed an alright sort but Myrra didn’t believe he was just now returning there out of kindness towards her. So then why would he be going back there now? Maybe it had to do with that coin he’d stolen.

• Bless
"I am an exile." Nasir said, deciding he would not lie nor hold any of his crimes back from Myrra.

It very well might mean that she would decide not to travel with him, as many others had in the past. Yet keeping the secret would only hurt in the long term. Addressing her concerns was difficult, and she needed more information before he could truly answer.

"Our people live within a stringent structure, castes I believe the common word is." He struggled for a second to find the right words. "We are ruled by Nobles and Priests, those who have the most powerful connection to the Elder Gods."

"Every millenia a conduit must be brought forth. One of our people who sacrifices themselves so the Gods may bestow their power on our People. This conduit is of the nobility."
Something born of blood. "Many believe that we are beholden to them because of this, that our fate is tied to the gods and their whims."

He frowned for a brief moment. "I did not share this belief."

"Before my exile I was a...General, I believe is the word. I fought in the Underdark for many years. I came to understand that we as a people are more than our Gods. More than some power beyond a veil."
His hand unconsciously brushed over his chest where beneath his clothes a deep brand still seared his flesh. "I rallied many of my soldiers, and we attempted to overthrow those who rule our people."

For a second Nasir considered divulging the full truth to Myrra, but the hopeful look in her eye stopped him. There are secrets that still had to be kept. He would tell no lie, but omit the how of his story. At least until she understood more.

What lurked inside of him, what he had taken, now was not the time to speak of it.

His voice dropped low. "We did not succeed."

The air hung with silence for a few moments.

"My followers were put to death, and I was exiled. Banned from ever returning. My fate to wander the surface apart from the very people I sought to protect. That was over three hundred years ago. " He glanced up at Myrra. "There is a curse set into my flesh, one that prevents me from entering the Undercity."

Another pause hung in the air, and then he explained further. "Yet every curse has it's weakness, and I believe that I can break this one with your help."

• Wonder
Any common person would have been horrified at Nasir’s story. Sacrificial offerings to the gods was still a practice here and there, done with burning fruits, or a goat, or even prized oxen. To offer up the life of elf, human, dwarf, or any other self-aware race was, however, a crime. It would have mattered little that Nasir did not favor this ritualistic suicide, or murder, as it was; he was of the dark elves all the same, so their crime was his as well. Any common person would have left then and there.

But Kassa Lia only frowned in thought. She tilted her head as Nasir wove his tale of a failed revolution, her brows furrowing deeper as he finally confessed of a curse that held him back from the Undercity itself. Only the ignorant would call him lucky to even be alive; death might have been a better option than this cruel exile inflicted upon him. Kassa didn’t miss the movement of Nasir’s hand across his chest.

So he thought Myrra could help him break the curse. How? Kassa was attuned to magic enough to know Myrra wielded some sort of talent with something, but she knew enough too to know that Myrra was no great healer or renowned archmage. Toying with curses and brands was dangerous, sometimes leading to a painful death. She opened her mouth as if to say something, then shut it, nothing spoken.

Her lips pursed pensively. She would wait to see what Nasir had planned before offering her own help, if it appeared it was needed.

Silently she took the mug from Myrra’s hand and, stirring the smoking vegetables one last time to even out the spice and sauce, filled it full of the dish. It smelled wonderful, the savory taste sweet and very slightly spicy. She handed the mug back to Myrra and looked expectantly at Nasir.

“Why go back?” she asked, voice skeptical. Would he even answer? “Surely they would kill you this time.”

• Devil
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir and Myrra
Part of Myrra could understand. Empathize at least to a degree. He was an outcast, just as she had been for the entirety of her life. Forced to make a life for herself whilst yearning for a place where she was ordinary, apart of something. So, she could understand where Nasir’s desire came from.

Part of her wanted to reassure the elder drow that she trusted him. That she’d aid him and together they’d enter their homeland. Another part of her, perhaps the rational part, yelled at her to stay silent. Uncover more information.

Before she could respond though the diligent Kassa grabbed hold of her mug. Spilling a delectable stew of vegetables and dried meat into it. Myrra held the mug up towards her nose and breathed in deeply before spelunking a spoon into the mixture and taking a bite. It was a wonderful mixture of salty, savory, and a hint of spice. The young drow looked towards Kassa with a beaming smile to display her satisfaction.

Before she could vocalize her satisfaction the human asked Nasir about his intentions. Kassa was right, if the older dark elf’s tale was true why would their people allow him to return? Myrra chewed on the vegetable mixture. Remaining unusually silent as she slowly devoured the meal.

Though part of her felt it would be appropriate to agree with the idea that she aid in breaking his curse she decided it made more sense not to speak and simply to listen for a change.

• Sip
His gaze swept towards Kassa for a moment in a hint of confusion, as though her question did not make sense to him.

In Nasir's mind he had already answered why he wanted to go back, the core of his story being more explanation than anyone would need. At least to him. Lips thinned for a brief moment, and then he saw Myrra had the same question.

"They will want me dead." He confirmed. "But they cannot kill me."

His fingers tightened. "I believe in our people. I stand for our people. Not for the Gods they worship. Not for the Nobles ruling from above. I am for them."

Killing him would make him a martyr. That was why they had slaughtered his followers, killed them to a man to make an example and then shamed by through exile.

"Three hundred years to your people is several lifetimes, but to us." He motioned to Myrra and himself. "It is just a fraction."

He looked into the fire, his palm closing and the depiction of the city disappearing. "Many will remember who I am. What I did. Some will stand with me, others will do their best to end me. I will take that risk if it means saving my people."

Just as he had three centuries before, when he had challenged the gods themselves.

Nasir intended to do exactly what he had sworn himself to three hundred years ago.

• Bless