Private Tales Scorched Earth

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Aretta didn't make a deliberate mistake. She wouldn't give them such an easy out. Aretta didn't turn the odds on them or press any openings.

In the end Fife wasn't given the satisfaction of making the hit. Aretta came at her and Ylerial switched direction quickly. The dull thud of her wooden sword striking Aretta's back rang out.

"Enough," hissed Aretta, lowering her sword. She was breathing quickly from the exertion. Despite being against two opponents she had struck a flurry of blows in return for one, but it was still a lesson.

• Yay
Reactions: Fife
She didn't land the hit, but Ylerial did. When Aretta called enough, Fife stepped back panting. Her shoulders were burning from the exertion and she gladly lowered the practice sword to wipe the sweat from her brow.

There were going to be a few new bruises to her repertoire, but she'd contributed. Looking to Ylerial, she gave her a faint smile and signed a simple apology. She'd deserved to be the one to make it, considering she'd taken the brunt of the work with Fife's misunderstanding at the beginning.

Casting her eyes back over her shoulder, she spared Raigryn only a look enough to see that he was still there. Fife wasn't keen on getting him in trouble again, though, and returned her attention to Aretta.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Reactions: Raigryn Vayd
Aretta turned slowly to Raigryn, who had opened his mouth to speak.

"If you could avoid walking in half way through a lesson."

Raigryn gave an apologetic nod of the head and snapped his mouth shut around the complement that was already forming.

"You of course have the right to observe your apprentice and the distraction itself was a lesson." Aretta's eyes went from Raigryn to Fife and back again. She drew herself up, her tone had switched to apologetic very quickly.

"But you did state that you would not interfere in her teaching."

"Of course, of course," said Raigryn, holding up his hands. "I couldn't find Maellarn and simply came to observe in silence. Unless you want me to take part in any demonstrations with you and..."

"No!" said Aretta sharply, with unexpected venom. She lowered her eyes. "It would not be proper."

What? Ylerial shot Fife a confused sign behind Aretta's back. Raigryn looked just as confused.

"I wasnt going to teach or interfere. I was just saying that if you wanted us to spar to demonstrate..."

"No! I have not earned that right. You killed Baeleon Pran in single combat at Hassenthat. I have no right to..."

"That was a much younger man," Raigryn growled, his easy smile clearly straining. He was ashamed of that man. Even if that man wouldn't have been overcome by a handful of hungry farmers.

Aretta turned towards her students.

"Why are you gawping? Sandsnake form, first twenty motions. Now."

Last edited:
  • Yay
Fife was just as confused as Ylerial. She'd given him a slightly exasperated look when he'd spoken, but she wasn't really confident he'd be able to go all day quiet anyhow. If was hard; she couldn't blame him.

But when her peer asked what was happening, Fife shook her head and her hand flicked to a sign of question. It had gone from Raigryn being in trouble to whatever this was quite suddenly.

Fife didn't know who Baeleon Pran was or what the Hassenthat was either. She gave Raigryn a questioning look. She didn't need Empathy to notice the strain in his face, the falseness in his smile after seeing its genuine so often of late.

She had raised her hands to sign a question, but Aretta's snap put an end to it before it was more than that. Glancing from Aretta to Raigryn before dropping her gaze, she nodded and went to Ylerial. They walked several paces away and Fife shared a look with her to shrug. Resisting the urge to look his way again, she obediently began the form as instructed.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Raigryn was at least spared from his usual confusion at watching Fife's new grace as the two students went through the motions.

Aretta kept her back to Raigryn the entire time. It was quite obvious that it was deliberate.

Raigryn knew where it came from. The same reason that Fife and Ylerial had to both go for Aretta at the same time. There was a strict hierarchy to the idemni warriors. Aretta very firmly believed there were several layers between herself and Raigryn and wouldn't even raise a weapon opposite him in practise.

Raigryn wasn't sure how he felt about that. There was a lot of that in his life at the moment.

He managed to gather himself for a an encouraging smile and nod as Fife came to an end in the routine.

"What did you learn from battling me together?" Aretta asked Fife. This time she at least acknowledged Raigryn who could make himself useful translating for Fife.

• Yay
She followed the routine faithfully, her feet unfailingly finding their places and her motions smooth though her arms were growing tired. Tired was good; it meant she was improving. Or, at least, that her body was improving, which was better than nothing.

Of course she caught Raigryn's eye when Aretta asked her question as if given permission to do the same. What had she learned? She considered her answer for a moment, more to form it into sign than to think on the answer itself. When she gave it, it was still to Aretta and not Raigryn though, she gave him a look. He was supposed to be quiet today, but she wasn't going to take his usefulness here away, lest Aretta give him the boot.

We work as a team against a stronger opponent. She looked to Ylerial with a glint of guilt in her eyes. I do not think like a team.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Raigryn repeated the message. Whether through her slowly increasing grasp of the human trade tongue or the silent way, Ylerial managed to follow Fife's answer.

Me too, she signed in a roundabout way.

"Neither of you do. You have not been shown to fight together. Wherever an idemni is, they must be able to support one another. It might be that neither of you become idemni, but it is still a lesson to learn."

Raigryn didn't know what the elf's path might be. If she was adopted into the community then she could end up staying for life. Fife would be coming with him on new adventures.

"Seventh sparring kata with one another. Slowly and in time with one another. Unless you have questions?"

• Yay
Fife looked to Ylerial, watching her hands as she also signed. She also wondered if it had been the language or the sign she had understood, but she had clearly kept up enough.

They had a strange rapport after months of training together. They were veritable strangers, but the elf had seen the most growth Fife had ever undergone in her life. It was odd to have someone even close in situation to her, but reassuring. If there was any merit left in Raigryn's initial warning to be careful around her, her elven friend had surely fooled her enough to pull the wool over even Fife's distrustful vigilance.

Aretta's response was reassuring that she hadn't completely messed up their lesson. As for becoming Idemni, Fife's brow hitched upward slightly. Become Idemni? Glancing toward Raigryn, she shook her head to decline the opportunity for questions. She had a lot of questions, but they could be tabled for another time.

Turning her back to their mentors to go practice the kata together, Fife snuck a brief grin before biting her lip into sobriety once more and raising her practice sword to follow the routine with Ylerial.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Raigryn couldn't help a grin in return. One that he didn't hide so quickly. Aretta finally looked towards him before it was gone. The stern teacher didn't convey anything in her glance before returning her attention to the students.

"Wider stance Ylerial. Look at me. Feet...futher apart..."

Ylerial knew her name and could copy. Gerish wasn't around so that would have to suffice. There wasn't time for a break for the two to try and sign instructions to one another.

"Fife nice and smooth into the third motion. Whilst it is a kata remember that in a real fight you would not show that move coming so early when sparring. The two of you are still too focused on your own routines. You need to be aware of one another and remember the forms."

• Yay
She looked to Aretta when Ylerial did, almost out of habbit, and nodded at her own instruction. It was difficult, not being obvious about a routine, but she did her best. There wasn't much mystery about what they were doing, but watching for Ylerial's cues made it easier to see what she meant.

So Fife made a conscious effort to seem less obvious as she transitioned into the next motion. In time with one another. She focused on her companion's movements, moving in time with her.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Aretta circled the pair and told them to keep practising. Then she walked to Raigryn's corner of the room and sat down next to him.

"She is determined and a good listener."

Raigryn was watching her hand, but it remained still by her side. Finally it gave a brief flick in an apologetic gesture.

"I was short with you. Your suggestion...it is not..."

"No I understand. Sort of. You know I wish to respect your ways but you caught me out with your reaction," Raigryn replied. They spoke quietly but their voices carried to the two students. "She is doing very well under your guidance."

• Yay
She continued practicing, but her curiosity was getting the better of her. She could hear them talking quietly and she couldn't really help the color in her face at the praise. Fife was still unaccustomed to it, and hardly felt like her recent shortcomings should have warranted it. Not only from Aretta, but from Raigryn as well.

Focusing on Ylerial to ignore the conversation, she was determined not to let him be a distraction. Every time he came into this damn tent, weeks of perfectly fine training seemed to jumble up in her head. Fife would have liked if he could have seen her more competent rather than always on the wrong end of a practice sword. Besides --they were having a conversation and she didn't want to be eavesdropping.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
"If you wish to spar then you will have to talk to Dondarran or perhaps Elise. Though such a thing will generate interest and there will be opinions voiced if it is only a display for our lowest novices."

Rairyn sighed and shook his head, "That was not what I was going for. I will..." He stopped short of explaining that he would have to teach Fife himself one day. He decided it was better to steer clear.

"I will be keeping Fife after the session briefly. If that is acceptable?" Aretta asked. The question at the end was clearly an afterthought to appease him after a rocky morning.

"Of course, she is in your hands. I will go and fetch lunch."

• Yay
She wasn't listening. Or was trying not to. It was really hard not to. Fife was glad when she and Ylerial finished the kata and moved on to the rest of the lesson. Something to occupy her hands and mind.

To say she was frustrated with herself was an understatement. She was anxious for what Aretta wanted to keep her after for. Fife could think of a dozen things she could find that would call for a conversation. She'd made more mistakes in two weeks than the near three months she had been here. She worked hard and she thought she was listening well, but there were just some things she just didn't get. Or what if Raigryn was right and they were going to try teaching her far more than the sword.

All thoughts Fife carefully put in a box inside her mind and shut. Alongside a lot of other boxes, she pushed it into a dark corner and let her mind be clear of it. Or clearer. She didn't dare let her thoughts get between her and her lesson, lest she give Aretta another reason.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
Aretta saved a few words for the girls at the end of the routines. Small points and actions for practise rather than any criticism. She had them draw and inspect their steel before they left and then came the expected.

"Fife could you wait behind please?"

Raigryn and Ylerial ducked out of the tent. He offered her a pleasant smile and a nod. They hadn't formed much common ground at all. He offered Fife a brief wave, unaware himself of the nature of the discussion coming.

"Fife you have been a little agitated and distracted recently. Compared to your usual, admirable levels of focus. Do you have any views on why that is? Yes or no will do," she said. Aretta knew only a little of the silent way so they would muddle through only if the answer was yes.

• Yay
Fife spent her time cleaning her blade wondering if it would have been kinder to not have known, or if being prepared was better. Either way, when Aretta asked for her to stay she didn't argue. She waved to Ylerial and Raigryn, watching them go with one last small twinge of worry, then turned to her instructor.

And it was on what she had guessed it would be. Fife usually watched Aretta's face and hands when she spoke, but she looked down with her jaw tight and thought about her question.

Why had she been so distracted? Did she know why? Was Aretta looking for a genuine excuse or simply asking? Fife tucked a stray hair behind her ear. Being honest might get him in trouble, but if Fife honestly didn't know if telling her Raigryn was a distraction would get him permanently banned from visiting them at training or if she would put him in the middle of the tent until she could ignore him.

She wobbled her hand back and forth. Neither a yes or a no. She looked up again and held her finger and index finger a little space apart. A little bit? Sort of? She made an R with Silent Way, and whistled Raigryn's name sound softly.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
"Oh? Oh perhaps you are just nervous and seeking your mentors approval?" Aretta went. Her hand signed for deep thought. "That would make sense."

"I had thought this was like Ylerial's problem. I had thought perhaps you were merely distracted by the needs of the flesh." There wasn't the slightest hint of shame on Aretta's face for this admission. Despite what was inevitably happening to Fife's cheeks she continued.

"I was going to suggest some young men, or women, who could have helped. The body must not distract the mind from the art of the sword," she said firmly.

"You have seen how Ylerial is much more focused now that she is not governed by her lust and Gerish has such fine hands..."

Last edited:
  • Yay
Fife looked up again as she spoke, making a deliberate effort not to furrow her brows in confusion. Was she surprised? What had she thought was the problem instead.

A short thought, as Aretta answered that for her. No attempt at keeping her response from her face would have prevailed entirely. Scarlet blazed across her cheeks and she blinked, mouth parting as she drew in a breath. A fist tightened in her stomach and Fife hastily looked away.

She regained her expression as quickly as she could. Fife shook her head and waved her hands. Notes of surprise and apology moved on her fingers.

Aretta's continued observations made her face hot enough for her ears to feel like they were burning. Was it possible to die from blushing?? She had thought it before but now she was sure she might. Fife's jaw was tight and gods, this wasn't what she had thought this conversation was going to be about.

Not that, she signed to her firmly. That was the furthest thing from her mind. But she also want exactly trying to impress Raigryn. Fife didn't know what it was. Things she was supposed to know got a little jumbled. It was a lot more like she wanted to prove she wasn't a child -- that she wasn't wasting the opportunity he had given her. Maybe she did want to impress him a little? She put her hands on her cheeks momentarily, trying to cool them down.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
"Oh by the old and new gods girl, you outsiders have such...hangups. I thought that be just making this between us you would be less...red..."

Aretta have her a little longer to compose herself but apparently wasn't letting the issue go entirely. It seemed to be an area where she wanted to make a point about the idemni way. Raigryn's warning when they had spoken of Ylerial did not go far enough.

"You know that most of your society's views on such things about keeping men in control and women actually enjoying themselves?" Aretta asked. Apparently, despite having taken Fife's explanation at face values this was a point of contention that she wasn't going to be spared.

• Yay
Her answer apparently wasn't satisfactory. She recalled (briefly) Raigryn's remark earlier that day. Surely she had wanted to say something, even having never had a voice. As this conversation continued and she only grew inexplicably more red, Fife had rarely wanted to be able to talk more.

I understand, she signed. Aretta knew that one from past lessons. That was the extent of what she could confidently sign to explain that she knew damn well what it was and already had preexisting opinions.

But she as trying.

I do not like it, she gestured, her hands shaking a little. I do not want it. She made a sign of discomfort, attempting to help along her understanding with what she did know.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
"Do not...want..." Aretta narrowed her eyes. The show of emotion was almost disrespectful in their culture. It was certainly worthy of disdain.

Yet Aretta was not oblivious to the fact that Fife was not one of them. She also read from this that there was more than just her culture at play. Everyone had a different upbringing even within the place they grew up. The large cities that Raigryn visited were smelting pots of cultures and religions. Aretta realised she might have been running roughshod over Fife's.

She was not the type to stop when she had started on a subject. She was the teacher and Fife would have to listen.

"Very well. I will try not to bother you with such things and not repeat that a bit of good sex will stop you being so fidgety and you will have to understand that those here are quite frank in such matters. If you are asked to someone's tent they are not offering a free lesson. We'll, they are and they are not..."

"Tomorrow whatever relaxes you do it before your lesson. Know that Raigryn does not give his approval out as easily as he did in his youth. He is proud of you and watched you closely today. Perhaps too closely. That will be all."

• Yay
She wasn't going to repeat it, but made her point clear. It was a lesson, of sorts, more blunt than the one Raigryn had tried explaining before. Fife didn't care how sexually liberated a culture wanted to be. Fantastic. She just personally wasn't interested.

Nodding at the advice and the recommendation to do something to help her focus before lessons, she was grateful for the release to leave -- even though it came with an addition about Raigryn. Fife tucked tail and left with more haste than usual, hands wound tightly around the sword belt across her chest.

Though she started toward the meal tent, the thought of seeing anyone made any shred of her appetite turn to nausea. She especially didn't want to see Raigryn when she was obviously so off balance. Gods only knew what he would be able to glean from the top of the barely-contained mess that was currently her mind.

Balance, balance. She turned sharply on the path toward the stables. There was time before sign lessons with Maellarn. She'd brush their horses until she felt more settled. Aretta had meant well, she just needed to shake the anxiety that came of even thinking about what she suggested.

Easier said than done. Fife slipped into the stall with Socks, took off her sword, and picked up a brush. The pony only seemed aware that this was a special occasion, earlier in the day than her usual visits. His ears flicked forward and his nose quested for her pockets and treats. Fife whistled his name in a low tone of warning, but had to pull her shirt out of his mouth -- a small show of displeasure at not having been brought any bread. Pushing his head away, he was more settled when she starting brushing him, even if she wasn't.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
An oblivious Raigryn softly hummed to himself. It was a long time since he had played an instrument with his hands, but at least he could practise with his mouth. The idemni though music was also crass. They were a strange culture. Perhaps, he thought to himself, he needed to sing more.

Fife was being held back quite late. He decided that she might have headed straight to get food instead of joining him here. That, or perhaps Aretta would have kept her long enough that she would skip lunch.

He checked his bandages. Nothing had bled in days, which was progress. The demon had bit him deep and his body didn't seem to want to heal these wounds properly. They itched and ached, even if he could use the arm again.

He arrived for the lesson looking rather sheepish, having finally realised that his attempt to live in Fife's world had lasted just an hour. He brought a wooden bowl with a chunk of bread by way of apology.

• Yay
Brushing Socks absolutely did not help. Well. It got the shake out of her hand and she didn't feel like her face was sunburnt anymore. She could breathe normally and felt a little more like a human being than a tangled knot of hair. That didn't mean she felt at all balanced or like she wanted to see anyone. Much less Raigryn.

Fife's feelings were conflicting. On the one hand, she wanted the comforting distraction of his company. On the other, however, he was the last person he wanted to be around when she was feeling so out of sorts. Thinking of him making some kind of lesson about this made her want to go deaf as well as mute. Thinking of him being patient and understanding and comforting made her whole torso feel tight and twisted.

Half an hour of brushing her pony clearly wasn't enough to sort out some things. She looked at her sword, then at the door, and decided she was doing what she had never done.

She hadn't ever outright skipped any of her lessons. Fife was punctual to a fault if not early. Today, however, she circumvented the caves where Maellarn would be waiting. She would apologize tomorrow by whatever demands of reparations they had.

Instead, she took a walk, the pace quick enough her heart was beating and her sweat broke out against her forehead and collar. She had realized, in the time Raigryn had been gone, how much she actually missed the feeling of running -- the adrenaline, the burn, the cool prickling feeling of relief when she finally stopped. Fife didn't miss the people chasing her, but it was difficult to purge all of her old habits.

She ended up by the river inlet that fed the lake. One of the shrubby trees was pressed close to some rocks not unlike the bathing area at the other end of the oasis. Fife had come here a lot, alone or with Socks. She'd found her feathers here, and if she laid very still, sometimes the magpies would come land in the short tree's branches. They sounded awful, but she had always liked birds.

Finding her usual spot, Fife sat back against the rock and put her arms around her knees. Just a little while. She was still in plain sight of the nearest tents, but far enough removed that she would have time if anyone came out to her. She didn't plan on staying long. Just a bit more time alone before she had to go back and face the consequences of ditching lessons.

// Raigryn Vayd //​

• Yay
"She is not coming?" Maellarn asked. She had emerged from her caves on time, ushering a young boy along. He carried several small scrolls in his hand and made for the centre of town. Raigryn made an effort not to look as if he was watching their business.

Fife should be here, he signed. When it came to placing people and objects the silent way was quite a robust language.

"It is not like her to be late. Though it is like you and she is your student," she said, easing herself down onto a chair.

Aretta kept Fife for time, Raigryn replied.

"For...time? You mean to say kept her after her lesson? Watch."

Raigryn watched and copied and the lesson started in earnest. He glanced over his shoulder a few times, growing increasingly concerned. Aretta wasn't likely to pull her in for the whole afternoon without asking him.

• Yay