Fable - Ask Road to the Dragon Keep

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
"My home is deep in the Ixchel Wilds," Miriel chuckled as the girl came to a stop and she patted the mares neck affectionately. "It is why I cross The Spine so often - there is no other way really apart from by boat but I'm not too keen. I'm glad you like her though, she's been one of the easier horses to rear as I was there at her birth. Atreyu on the other hand I was given from another breeder when he was a yearling so we are still learning one another's quirks," she smiled. When the girl nudged the horse into a sprint she had to keep the smile from her face - people always underestimated Marcy's speed.

"Imagine you are holding a flower in each hand," she called out, "That is how light you should be holding the reigns, give her head, you need to control her with your backside. Squeeze to go slower - she can feel it through the saddle. The more you tense the slower she'll go."

• Yay
Reactions: Tamila Foster
Tamila struggled to focus on what Miriel was saying while trying to handle Marcy's speed. "Loosen my grip? But that's the only thing keeping me from falling off!" She called as she rode the still sprinting horse in circles around the field. She bit her lip but did as told, loosening her grip on the reigns and shifting to using her backside to control Marcy's speed. It took a few more seconds but Marcy eventually slowed back into a more manageable trot.

Tamilla brought her to a stop next to Miriel, her hair now a disheveled mess. She laughed a little. "I may need some time to get used to the speed." She looked down at the blacksmith, remembering what she said before her little run. "You lived in the wilds? isn't it also dangerous there?"

• Yay
Reactions: Míriel Fëanorna
"You and your horse are partners, would you like to be held back by force when you are doing something you are born to do, or would you like a gentle tap on the shoulder and someone to ask you nicely to slow down?" Miriel's words were meant to be kind and educational, many people rode their horses into the dirt by throwing spurs on, a nasty bit, and kicking the poor animal until they did what they wanted.

"The Wilds are incredibly dangerous,"
Miriel laughed and stroked down Thorlion's mane, pulling a strand of hay from it absentmindedly. He began to lip at her in affection. "But it is where I call home. I grew up in the Jungles there, it does not really scare me all too much. It should also make you realise how bad The Spines can be if I prefer the Wilds," she pointed out. "Would you like to try one of the other two?"

• Yay
Tamila pursed her lips at Miriel's advice. "I guess I understand." She looked down at Marcy and patted her head apologetically. Her gaze shifted back to Miriel when she laughed. "Growing up in the Wilds must be a lot different from living in a safer city like Alliria. I'm not sure how I'd adjust to such a big change." Well, maybe that was untrue, she was starting to get used to big changes.

The reminder of how dangerous her destination is made her tense. She hoped Ash really was an expert on the Spines. She took a deep breath to calm herself, before carefully dismounting. She nodded at Miriel. "I like Marcy, but I want to try at least one other horse before I make a decision."

• Yay
"Very different," the older elf smiled and took Marcy's reigns as the girl dismounted. Looking over the two other horses she had picked out she passed her the reigns to Atreyu. "I think, he is the best match for Marcy. He's very sharp so keep the reigns light, but he is smart as well as courageous."

The young colt seemed to understand what she was saying was about him for he preened and stomped his hoof in agreement. As she mounted she untacked the Destrien and let him loose back into the herd.

• Yay
Tamila laughed at Atreyu's preening. She took the reigns from Miriel and scratched the colt behind his ears. Cooing at the horse as she mounted. She took a moment to get settled, this time making a note not to grip the reigns too tightly as she nudged the colt into a trot. "You said you got this one from another breeder, right?"

• Yay
"Yes, he found him too difficult to train so he gave him to me for nothing to see if I could make something of him," Miriel chuckled. "We are... getting there. His riding manners have improved but he is cheeky and a thief when left unattended," the horse seemed to be deliberately ignoring her, though she could tell by the twitch of his ears that he was listening still. "He doesn't do anything mean like bite, but he will take your sandwich," the horse snorted.

• Yay
Tamila giggled at the description of Atreyu. Just from what she'd seen of the colt so far, she believed it. "If I choose him, I'll keep a close eye on my food." She picked up a little speed to test how well the horse handled at a greater speed. "Are there any problems riding with riding him?"

• Yay
"Not that I've experienced, it's why I have kept him," Miri smiled as she watched the pair go in perfect circles. "He's fast - not as fast as Marcy at full speed - but he is stronger than her so his endurance will be better. He probably won't be as good a jumper as Marcy, but his manouvers and reactions are quicker." They were both good horses in her mind, just slightly suited to different things and riders. It depended entirely on what she was looking for more in a horse.

• Yay
Tamila directed Atreyu to sprint to make sure she could handle his speed. He hasn't as fast as Marcy and didn't jump as high as her, but it still took her a few seconds to get ahold of. She brought him to a stop near Miriel. "They're both wonderful horses. I'm not sure which I prefer." She considered her options and tried to think of what would suit her best.

She'd need a fast horse to escape any monsters in the Spines, Marcy would be best for that. If they're in the mountains, she might be able to jump over obstacles too. But if Atreyu had greater endurance like Miriel said, that would be useful if she had to run long distances. He also might be better for maneuvering through difficult terrain. She dismounted as she considered which horse to choose. "But, overall, I think Atreyu would be best suited for the quest ahead."

• Yay
Miriel nodded: she had to agree with the girls assessments on the horses. Despite being sad to see the young stallion go she was sure he would come into his own with a purpose and a new rider. Besides, Ash was there if anything did go wrong.

"As he's not my own horse, he's also cheaper than Marcy," Miri winked. She didn't like to mention costs whilst people were buying unless they had a strict budget as it often meant people picked a horse that wasn't suited to their needs or abilities. She untacked Marcy and let her go back to the rest of the group. Thorlion, who had been watching the whole time nuzzled the younger horse in fond farewell before sprinting back to the group of horses after Marcy. "With all his tack, he's only 8 gold coins. Now, is there anything else I can hook you up with for your journey ahead?"

Tamila smirked at Miriel's wink. "I'm sure Ash will be happy to hear that. Don't worry, I'll take good care of him." She watched as Thorlion said goodbye to her new horse with a bittersweet expression. She looked back at Miriel and hummed. She had her bow, arrows, and dagger, what else could she need. "What do you think Ashieron? Do we have everything we need for our journey?"

Ash’s gaze snapped back over to Tamila, having been broken from his day dreaming. He’d think for a moment, “Not at the moment, unless you still have something we should be good.” He looks out towards The Spine before getting up and looking towards the two elven women, “Unless you two want to finish your dealings I suggest we get going night time will arrive soonee the closer we get to the mountains.” He says letting some chilly wind blowing through his hair.

• Yay
"Sure, let me go get your bits from inside," Miriel nodded to the pair and then disappeared back inside. She returned a moment later with the remaining change, the blade, arrow, and she even returned the girls other daggers too. "Your friends coin more than covered a new blade and you might find yourself wanting of more than one," her lips twitched. Before they left she gave the young horse a slow stroke down the nose and murmured a few words to him under her breath - a goodbye from horse mistress to one of her horses.

"Well," she stepped back and smiled to the pair. "I wish you all the luck on your journey."

If you enjoyed your service at The Horse and Hammer, please leave us a review!

• Yay
Tamila glanced at the sky, as Ash said, the sun was getting low. She waited for Miriel to return and took back her daggers with a grateful smile. She gave the blacksmith another bow. "Thanks for the help. If I'm ever back in Alliria and need weapons I'll be sure to stop by."

She hooked her new dagger to her belt and walked over to Ash, holding Atreyu's reigns to guide him along. "To the gates then?"

Aah waves bye to the blacksmith before he himself would start to walk over to the gates, “Yep.” He would say as they headed for the gates.

“Tamila, why do you want to go to The Spine? Even inquire about the dragons there?” He asks as the horse and its rider walked behind him. Turning around on his heel he tilts his head, “Unless you’re after something.” He’d point towards his back. He sensed the magic coming from her backpack. It was powerful enough he had a few inklings about it. Bright side about being something else other than an elf.

“Since we are going to be traveling together, might as well tell me where you are trying to get to. And goals so I will know how urgent this is etc.” He tells her as a little raven lands in his head and he just simply pets it.

• Yay
Tamila hesitated for a second when Ash asked his first question. She wasn't comfortable or used to telling so many lies but she couldn't go around telling people about the dragon egg. "Oh I'm-" she tripped over her words when Ash pointed at his back. "You know!?" she blurted out, before catching herself and quieting her tone. "But I, how?"

She ran a hand through her hair and took a deep breath. Unsure as to whether Ash knew everything, or just knew she was carrying something important in her backpack. But, would there really be any harm in telling him? He said earlier that he stopped people from hunting dragons in the Spines. If anyone would understand, surely it'd be someone like him. The truth would come out one way or another, after all.

She closed the gap between them so they now walked side-by-side, limiting the chance of being overheard. She sighed. "It's a long story. I'll tell you the whole thing later if you want. But, I just want to bring this dragon egg to a safe place, away from hunters. I figured another dragon was my best chance at that."

Ash listened before nodding his head, “Don’t tell me the story, the little one might hear.” Ash says with a smile, “As long as you have good intentions then there is no need to spend time on the past.” He’d look down at the road as they walked.

“Im not really an elf is all you need to know.” He’d tell her. Not wanting to go into what he really was. “But it does not take one to put the peices together, the huge bulging backpack, asking about the dragons. Even going into the Spine to try and find one with the possibility of being burnt to a roast by one.” He’d laugh some, “That and dragons are creatures of powerful magic. It’s basically a beckon to me right now, like a moth to a light.” He’d admit it, he was not hungry at the moment but he’d probably go on a hunt while they were resting.

“How far are we going until camping?” He asks her, as he didn’t need to sleep like other species did. “I do not want you or your horse to exhaust yourselves in one night.”

Tamila glanced at her backpack. Surprised at the revelation that the dragon might overhear her, even before hatching. Her lips parted slightly when her guide said he wasn't an elf, he looked like one, what else could he be? "Really? Huh." While a part of her wanted to ask what he really was, she got the feeling he didn't want her to know. If he did, he'd probably have told her right away.

Her cheeks burned when Ash listed all the reasons why he knew she had a dragon egg with her. And she thought she'd been so careful too. Turns out she was just lucky it was Ashieron who overheard her and not another monster hunter. She stared off to the side. "Oh, right. I, guess that makes sense."

His last question brought her back to the quest ahead. "I was hoping we could at least get close to the Allir Reach tonight." She noticed something odd about how he'd phrased his question. "Wait, what about you? How long can you go before exhausting yourself?" She knew he probably had more endurance than her, but how could he expect to have more than a young, energetic horse like Atreyu?

Thinking for a moment Ash shrugs, “I don’t know. We never really tried to find that out, for sleep we remain in a semi-conscious state. But we can still hear normally though. But I suppose we can sleep sleep. Kind of boring if you ask me, I miss being able to dream dreams. Though I’ve seen so many things throughout my life that I would never forget, those are my dreams now I suppose.”

He’d pat the horse’s neck gently, “Such a pretty horse. Majestic.” He says with a smile and could have swore the horse itself started to pick ups it’s feet and to strut a little.

“You do know where we are going, you should not speak of it outside of it right?” He asks Tamila.

Tamila stared at the strange not-elf. "I've never heard of someone who can't dream before. That must be strange." She giggled at Atreyu's reaction to the compliment. She patted the horse on the head. "Try not to let it go to your friend."

She tilted her head at Ash's last question. "Yeah, of course. But, where are we going exactly? I know we're heading to the Spines, of course. But do you have somewhere specific in mind?"

“To a valley.” Ash responds, “Its a bit further north but its the safest place there is when there is Molthal to north of that and the sky elves south of it.” He explains, “Also it isn’t really known by the orcs and other creatures and horrid souls running around as well.”

He’d shrug, “Either way. We will get there and figure things out from there. Hopefully it won’t take too long to get there. Barring the weather and other occurrences.” He says, trusting her in her word. If she speaks of it he would find out eventually and would be pisses. For once.

“Maybe we can train you some along the way, incase we do get separated.”