Private Tales Reshuffle

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"The squadron's mine," she fell into stride alongside him, shortly eyeing his books before looking again to their current route, "Captain brought me in as a Lieutenant. I report to him, everyone in the squad reports to me. Hadn't expected that if I'm honest. Thought maybe Sergeant at the most. Figured Sparrow would get Lieutenant before I ever did."

"Leadership suits you," Elias nods.

He ponders over how many times others have rallied under Ral's cool decision making and reliability in the field. Ral was more of a soldier than anyone else from their class, and it came as no surprise that she was recognized as being fit to lead a squad. The clear-cut hierarchy did raise one concern with Elias.

"Does this mean we can't shag anymore?"

Last edited:
That meant something coming from him and it grew a look of appreciation beneath the wry humor.

But as for the question... Ralene lofted a brow at him and gave him dubious glance.

"Strictly speaking no, there aren't rules against it. But it's best not to make a public thing of it."

"Here I was eager to share with the world that I'm fucking my Lieutenant." Her wary expression sharpened quickly, and Elias threw up his free hand as if surrendering. "I'm- I'm joking. I hear you. Not a peep." Then he turns an invisible key over his lips to lock them shut.

But he thought hard, trying to recall if there was ever a time when he had ever been forthright with his and Ral's frequent rendezvous. Blabbing to Elsi about it in the medical tent to disturb her came to mind, but no names were said. Didn't count.

When they came up through the Academy, bonds were weaknesses. He had seen countless times in their early years where friends were pitted against friends, and any form of camaraderie between young Initiates was exploited by Proctors. Not to mention how fiercely competitive climbing the unofficial class rankings had been.

Once, Ral had made jest of stabbing him in his sleep, but Elias was almost certain it would have been no laughing matter if he had even whispered about their business.

"It was a valid question."

"Aye," Ralene agreed, the levity of her humor having returned to her expression, "it was. And if we couldn't, what then?"

Was it the sex that made them such good friends, or what it the fact that they had become such good friends that made the sex great? Without the latter, would they still remain the former? Ral didn't think their friendship hinged on it - hell, they'd spent plenty of missions together surviving all manner of hells without so much as an errant hand on one another.

"Wouldn't we just break the rules? Or don't tell me you've gone all straight-laced on me now that you've went and earned some shiny brass for your ceremonial uniform. Oh! Merciful Gods! What have you done with the Ral I knew!" Elias exclaims up at the sky.

Truthfully, if they couldn't, Elias would live. Simple as. Ralene had somehow come to be his dearest friend, and it felt like only death would sever that connection.

Elias quietly laughs and lowers his gaze onto his squad leader, "It's good to see you again, Black."

Expression deadpanned as soon as his voice took a turn for the dramatic, Ralene narrowed her eyes at him, arms crossed at her chest, and waited for him to finish. He reaaaallly thought he was hilarious, didn't he. Though she had to admit this was the most emotional exuberance she'd seen out of him in a long time. Whatever had brought it about, she was grateful for.

There was a time she'd been a bit worried he might go off the deep end.

That she might lose her best friend to the same corruption of the mind as so many Dreadlords before them.

But here he was, with a genuine smile on his face. She'd gotten pretty good at detecting his lies over the years and couldn't find any in his words or his face. Ral smiled back.

"It's good to be seen," she dropped her voice in a mock of his own from earlier to sound menacing, "Sol."

A beat and a chuff of laughter, Ral turned to continue on her way, "Glad the Cap didn't go for Scorch. That was Zael's codename at Vel Janix. Don't think I could get past that..."

Last edited:
  • Bless
Reactions: Elias
"Good grief, he's the last person I want to share anything with," Elias snorted, "least of all a name."

Eli was never appreciative of the comparisons drawn between himself and Zael by their former classmates. They were similar only in the nature of their abilities, but Elias always considered Zael's to be inferior to his.

"Just around the bend," Elias points ahead to a corner. As they round it, he leads them to the door of his humble, temporary accommodations, and then inside. "C'mon, then."

Elias drops his things at the foot of a divan which he'd been using to rest on.

Ralene followed on his heel, the sound of her new armor lightly pinging and clanking as she moved the only sound beyond the local insect chirps and birdcall to accompany them. As he reached Route's flat, Ral lingered in the entryway to take a casual gander around. Her and Route had never been particularly close, but they were friendly enough she'd been here once or twice before. Route could cook - not a skill he shared with others often, especially not when the company traveled together. They had Cookie for that, and no one wanted to take that away from him. But back in Castere between outings? She'd enjoyed listening to Route talk about his life and the adventures being a Knight had caught him in while he made a meal for them.

She watched Eli quietly as he went about dropping off his things, a wane sort of fondness pulling at her expression. When he turned back to her to state he was done, Ral just sort of smiled at him easily. The reality was finally setting in that he was here. They were graduated. They'd survived just as they said they would. She was no longer a Banick and well on the path to becoming General of the Western Army, just as she had planned.

Now she had her best and closest friend with her, and found another good friend in Davi, too. Had everything she could possibly want or need now. Is this what contentment felt like?

"I'm glad you're here, Eli," Ral admitted aloud, looking him over with a slight pinch of her brow, "I need you to know that."

Elias froze, as he usually did when caught unprepared for moments of sincerity or tenderness. But he smiled, wide and toothy. He noticed she still had that quirk in her features as if she was reacting to a needle prick when she would show her more vulnerable side to him. One day, would she be able to say these things without making a face, or will there always be some wounds inflicted by the Academy that wouldn't ever heal?

The thought would cross his mind later, and he would tell her: They didn't have to hide anything from anyone anymore.

For Eli, that would be the moment when their graduation felt real.

With his smile persisting, he walks up to Ral and gently knocks his fist on her shoulder, "I wouldn't choose to be here with anyone else."

Elias was always comfortable with being alone at the Academy. Training alone, studying alone, taking on missions alone. Didn't have to look out for anyone. Didn't have to worry about anyone getting in his way. That was when he was at his best. But Ralene was never a hindrance, and there was never anyone who understood Elias better.

"Let's get going now, while the sun's still up. I wanna see your place."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Samantha Black
It was moments like this that Ralene often counted herself lucky for having taken the opportunity to open the door to friendship with him. Elias may have preferred his solitude but there was a man standing before her, smiling handsomely, that so many others were missing out on. She'd never been the greedy sort, but Ral supposed it was alright by her that she didn't necessarily have to share him with others.

"Right," her smile persisted, losing the pinch of her brow for amusement instead. She turned and headed back out, taking him further into the residential district to where the larger flats for the higher ranks could be found.

Vel Caster was a city of stone carved into what had once been a mountain. It sat atop the flattened plateau overlooking a massive river with the sands of the Amol Kalit further to the west and the flatlands that lead eventually into the Falwood to the east. The last frontier of Vel Anir before their rivals in the Empire and their foes further south in Cortos. Trade here was healthy despite it primarily housing military numbers, but the fortress city had grown exceptionally prosperous over the last few decades.

She lead him to the Road of Steel where the many Knights of the West Army were housed. Larger homes where they lived eight to a flat. "I'm here with Davi, Sparrow, Fern, Mess and Mizer, and by a stroke of rotten luck ... Cookie," a smirk at that fact. Cookie had earned his name for the obvious reason of his ability to cook up a storm and feed their entire retinue with good food. They ate well, much to her chargrin. Which meant Davi would quickly be putting on the pounds if she could keep him eating, too. So long as he was home, anyway, which she presently knew that he was not.

"One room left open for you," Ral informed him, "I'm sure a quick word to Holstag will get you moved in short order."

Keying open the lock, Ral stepped inside. It wasn't a barren place like what they'd been acustomed to at the academy - but a home that looked and felt lived in. The smell of tonight's meal lingered in at the entrance where pulled off her traveling cloak and hung it on a peg near the door, "Black!" she called casually into the home.

A moment later a reply, "Red!"

Then another, "Brown!"

Ral smirked, glanced to Eli, shrugged, "It's a ... thing we do." There was over ten years of history between them that no one at the Academy had been privy to. Ralene had spent her childhood growing, training, learning, and going on missions with this crew. They'd become family.

Last edited:
"Oh, it's a thing. Okay."

Eli had no way of understanding the connection Ral had with the people he was still entirely unfamiliar with. How fortunate she was as an apprentice Dreadlord, to have such a place to go to outside of the Academy. Elias imagined how it must have felt, knowing from a young age that she would've had a place with the people she cared about. Had that thought crossed her mind? Did she sigh with relief every time she went on assignment with them, savoring the freedom from the Academy's cold, stone walls? Eli would have.

They followed the sound of the voices to their sources, where Ral's longtime comrades were gathered around a table.

Elias held up a hand in a still, stiff wave, "She brought home a stray."

A moment of silence and shared glances. Then smiles and greetings.

• Bless
"We've seen you 'round," said a lean looking woman from where she sat at the table, casually cleaning and sharpening several small blades, "Sol, right?" Were it not for the sandy colored hair on her head and the dark uniform she might've been mistaken for Ventress with her pointed appearance and dour expression.

"Hope you're hungry," Cookie was not a tall man by any means, but could have been likened to an overgrown dwarf. He was short, stout, and built like a friendly boulder, "I've got venison stew and fresh bread going."

"That's Mess," Ral nodded to the woman, "you'll find out sooner or later why she's called that. And this is Cookie. Sol will be taking up the last room before Route returns."

"You've come from the Academy as well?" Cookie asked.

Mess snorted, "Steer clear of Flint."

Last edited:
  • Gasp
"That's right," he gives the woman quick once-over, then watches her tend to the blades for a moment. Hard to tell when she's seated, but Eli figures she couldn't be taller than Ral. With her frame, he imagined an agile fighter. Not one of those flourishing, dancing types who did pirouettes across the battlefield. No, this one was efficient. Lethal.

"Hope you're hungry. I've got venison stew and fresh bread going."

There were few from their class with a more charming, friendly smile than Elias. He looked at Cookie, "Knew I smelled something good when we came in."

Glancing over the much smaller man, the Dreadlord notes that his build, with his low center of gravity, would make him excellent at grappling. Eli thinks to invite Cookie to train with him, but decides to save it for another time.

A second gander at Mess as she continues her cleaning routine. Maybe he had her pegged wrong. Perhaps she was the type to fight savagely, despite her appearance. He was almost eager to find out.

"Not the first time I've been cautioned about him. What's that about, if you don't mind me asking?"

• Sip
Sometimes she forgot that Elias had the ability to be social, he just rarely employed it. Not that there were too many Initiates back at the Academy worth the effort - but listening to how easily he slid into conversation was reassuring. He wouldn't have her as a crutch to settle in, so at least she needn't worry about that. Sam extricated herself from the group to take a seat on a bench near the commonroom entrance where she unlaced her boots.

"Flints had a lot of bad luck where Dreads are concerned," Mess replied while she examined the edge of a blade and went back to honing it on the small slab of stone, "lost his little brother to one. A rogue Archon just fucking ... decimated half his entire regiment about ten years back."

"Before the revolution Dreadlords could come in and take command of soldiers on a whim," Cookie had taken a chair to Mess' left and sat stoking a pipe, "not a lot of good came from their lead. Victories, sure but... they used soldiers like fodder on the battlefield. Lot of them didn't care if our people got caught in the line of fire."

"But also," Mess interjected, "Flint's just a dick."

Sam snorted.

"A dick with a lot of medals," Cookie added, sighing, "you don't have to be nice to earn them, but you do have to be good at your job."

"He'll stick his neck out for the crew," Sam remarked as she pushed her boots into an open cubby built into the wall, "but not for us. Figures we don't need it."

Archons will be Archons. For all Eli's power, it still paled in comparison to Vel Anir's greatest. A title that one of his predecessors once held.

"Before the revolution Dreadlords could come in and take command of soldiers on a whim," Cookie had taken a chair to Mess' left and sat stoking a pipe, "not a lot of good came from their lead. Victories, sure but... they used soldiers like fodder on the battlefield. Lot of them didn't care if our people got caught in the line of fire."

Eli nodded in confirmation and added, "Even Initiates had the authority to command the rank and file."

A sergeant outranked an Initiate, even in the past. But in the face of cruel, overwhelming power, what normal, unremarkable person would dare protest? Back then, might made right.

Mess interjected. Black snorted. Elias softly sighed and scratched the back of his neck.

"Ah, well," he finally says. "What can ya' do, eh."

• Popcorn
"About Flint?" Sam spoke up as she pushed to her feet, "Probably nothing. About us? I figure we just have to be better than our predecessors."

"Aye," Cookie nodded over his pipe, "that's a good start."

"You remember that time Flint threw Black's boots in the river at Hagersport?"

Cookie cracked into a guffaw. Mess smirked over her knives.

"Oh-kay," Sam rolled her eyes and took that as her cue to leave. A glance over her shoulder to Eli and a nod of her head to follow as Cookie's voice strained to recount the story without laughing.

"Kitchen is back past the common room. Cookie, Fern, Wolf, and Sparrow," she paused at the foot of some stairs, gesturing to a hallway of doors just past the stairwell on the left then began the climb. A landing, a turn, another climb to the second floor, "Armory and supplies is thattaway. Study back there. Mess, Mizer, and you on this floor. You've got the empty room at the end. I'm on the third floor. Bath house out back."

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
"Third floor. Squad leader privilege sure is something," he smirked like a shithead.

A pause.

"You know, now'd be a good time to enlighten me to any hazing rituals I should be aware of. I'd hate to hurt somebody if they tried to beat me with a potato in a sack while I slept."

"Ain't it though," she returned, as smug as ever. She had her own private armory area, a little lounge area, a combination solar and study, even had her own little kitchenette and fireplace for small meals and warmth. She did NOT have her own private bath, which was something she yet lamented and supposed that came with another promotion. Though it was the nicest place she'd ever called her own in her life, and the room she'd had prior to this over in Vel Draza had previously been just that. Compared to anything they'd ever known at the Academy, Eli's new room would be a major upgrade even if it was still downgrade from Route's whole flat.

A laugh crackled from her throat, "Hazing? What do you think this is? The Academy?"

She began to trudge up the stairs, paused to think on something, "Check under the mattress before you sleep on it - Mizer likes to leave little presents from time to time."

"Well, it's still Anirian military, innit?"

Elias pondered just a moment.

"Mizer. The twin. Are they easy to tell apart?"

Sam didn't answer that first question, merely smirked.

To the second, the smirk widened just a touch, "Well ... one has boobs and one has a beard."

At that, she turned to make her way up the stairs, "Both have a nice ass though, so don't rely on the backside."

Elias' lips drew a flat line across his face at her silence. Then he relented, breathed a chuckle.

"It's simple then. Good. Simple's good."

And speaking of asses, Eli's gaze was glued to Sam's rump as she ascended the stairs. He followed, admiring her all the way up. Making up for lost time, he thought. She had a powerful stride and the sway of her hips possessed a hypnotic allure even to Elias, who had laid his eyes on enough asses to last him two lifetimes over. Perhaps it was because of whose ass it was.

"But that tiny woman, huh?" Elias finally remarks. His hand twitches at his side, fighting the building urge to slap a large palm over her rear. The empty space of a molar in the back of his mouth kept him disciplined. "Would've had me fooled."

"That tiny woman has more moxie than even I can manage," Sam chuckled.

Mess wasn't particularly strong, but she was deadly quick with a masterful knowledge of the body and how to impair, break, and maim it. She would not be getting on her bad side any time soon if she could help it.

Round the landing, up the next set of stairs, Sam pulled out a ring of keys from a side pouch and unlocked the large oak slab of a door to her abode. Everything still smelled new, and the aroma of fresh cut stone, polished wood, and a space that had barely been lived in hit her in the face like a bucket of cold water. She'd barely been here a week before she'd been shipped out to run routine scouting missions, then on down to Alliria.

"Haven't even really moved in yet," she remarked as she hung the key ring on a hook by the door, "not that I really had much stuff to set up. Didn't even have my armor..."

• Cthuloo
"We knew a few others like that back at the Academy, huh?"

Elias wryly smiled. Even in jest, he wouldn't ever say to Sam that she looked like a Proctor with all of those keys in her hand.

"You don't say," he steps in behind her, his nose wrinkling up from the smells. All too fresh for his liking. "You have more than me. Everything I've got fits in a single ruck."

Elias hooks his toe around the bottom corner of the door to swing it shut. He pushes it closed with his heel.

"How about a forge? I reckon you'll be asking for my hand again in making new things."

• Sip
"Asking for your hand..." Sam echoed as she stepped into her chambers, a tone of amusement lingering, "you make it sound so official." She chuckled, began the process of undressing all the layers of armor. Still wasn't fully used to this set - way more buckles and straps than her old custom kit had.

A gauntlet dropped onto the table in the lounge area. She remained standing at the foot of it as she moved to the opposite armpiece, "I've been granted access to Castere's military forges. General wants me to work on some projects in between missions and training. He just sent me to Alliria to train with a dwarven forge master to learn how to make Portal Stone Keys and dwarven steel."

Her mind lingered on all the events surrounding that ... rather strange trip. Still couldn't get the image of Marta Martigan in the cell out of her head.

"But yeah, I reckon I will ask for your hand again in making new things," she shot him a wry look over her shoulder. CLANK, the second gauntlet clattered to the table, "if you're still up to the challenge."