Private Tales Pandora's box

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Raziel

Tiefling Blood Mage
Character Biography
Link
450px-caravan.jpg

The roads of Arethil were dangerous places. Paid mercenaries and armed travellers would often band together with those who could not protect themselves from the wilds.

One such caravan twisted gracefully through the woods on a pleasant spring morning. A light mist hung in the air and the sun reached through the trees like fingers.

At the head of the caravan rode two armoured men. Behind them, a donkey pulled an open cage. With the cage sat a red-skinned tiefling. It's tailed slowly swished back and forth. It's arms and chest mottled with old bruises.

It's eyes were closed, but in a blink they were open.

"Good morning," he softly crooned to Aristeia Darke

"Dont talk to it," snapped one of the men guarding the prisoner.

"We'd have cut out its tongue, but master of the keep wants to hear it beg before the execution."

"How delightful," the tiefling whispered, wearing a wicked grin despite his confinement.

With one eye unclouded by old scars, Aristeia flicked her gaze to stare at the caged creature trailing behind the caravan she rode in. Dornoch would always be there for her to return to, and so in order to explore these lands that expanded in the Waking Realm, Aristeia volunteered herself to join whatever adventure she was needed on.

Transport.

It was a nice recall to her first day in the Guard, her first day exploring Dornoch, but to get out from the city had proved fruitful. Whether the tiefling had truly been sleeping or not, Aris had taken the time to stare at the lush greenery that came to life on such a fine day.

"Then what do you expect me to do? Stare at it? Ignore it and hope it does not talk our ears off?" She did not turn to face the men up front, but she could hear their annoyance at her talking back to them, as if their word was to be regarded with such authority.

Her brows creased slightly, now staring at the grinning prisoner.

"Should have gagged the thing if you did not want to hear it talk." She muttered under her breath and slid her sword closer to her, pulling at the malleable black cloth, called a lutterme, a fabric special to her origins. Aris pulled it over her palm and began polishing the pommel in order to do something.

• Devil
Reactions: Raziel
"We could gag it now," one of the soldiers grunted.

"Do not open it's cage," the older man said firmly.

"Or...do?" went the tiefling. It pressed it's fingertips into it's palm and squeezed it's hand into a ball. "I am far too exhausted to cause you any trouble. On that subject, a little more than one slide of stale bread a day would not..."

"For fuck's sake. Don't talk to it, don't go near the damned cage. It has more reach than you'd think."

One soldier rode further head, leading the precession. The other slowed up, keeping his eyes on the cage whilst being further out of earshot.

The donkey continued to plod on. The tiefling sat a light straighter. He opened his fist. In the centre of his palm was a crescent of blood.

He spoke before the girl could join the soldiers in riding off. He seemed far more alert than just seconds ago.

"They are not the talking type, I must admit. Don't worry, if I had a magical tongue I would have talked my way out of this rusty iron miles back."

• Nervous
Reactions: Aristeia Darke
Aristeia deepened the furrowing of her brows, gaze focusing on the bead of crimson pooling in his palm. Admittedly, she did not know what sort of creature it was she was accompanying the transportation of, but the silver haired woman had seen plenty of forbidden acts of magick in the slumbering dreams of innocents.

"What crimes have you committed in order to warrant an execution?" She had been curious, and none of the others riding with her bothered with a proper explanation other than 'it is what they deserve.'

Perhaps she would be informed by the very caged creature on their way to their own execution.

Raziel

• Yay
"What crimes have I committed to warrant an execution or which crimes have I committed to warrant this execution?" Raziel replied.

Despite his physical condition, the tiefling seemed to have found some energy to engage in the conversation.

"Honestly, I just caused a bit of mild discontent with a scandal. There may have been..."

Raziel waved his hands as if trying to dismiss a minor quibble. Perhaps interestingly, his tail joined in with the gesture.

"...a minor but of rioting."

And the end to an arranged marriage that would have brokered peace between two neighbouring regions. And a casket of coin with Raziel's name on it, that he might never get to see.

Aristeia spared a disbelieving look the tiefling's way before casting it forward once again. "You certainly do not waste your time then." Conversation was not something she was after, but on these lengthy days of travel, her mind became bored and in need of something new to stimulate her mind. To be surrounded by others did not deter her, but their lack of conversation to include the scarred eyed soldier was heavily felt.

Because I hailed from Dornoch, perhaps? She thought to herself, although she claimed she was foreign to the city. Foreign to this Waking Realm, but she chose not to divulge that tidbit.

"Do not tease. You got a story? Share it."

Raziel

• Yay
"So to tease is wrong, but it would be right for me to provide some entertainment from my cage?" Raziel asked rhetorically.

His eyes closed for a few beats. His tail gave a slow swish.

"Imagine though, the marquis, found in a bed covered in wine bottles, his torn clothes, a tiefling and a half orc? Imagine him being found by his betrothed's brother? What fun!"

• Gasp
His question brought a small smirk to her lips, caught out by her request. She ignored his words, keeping her thoughts to herself on the subject matter until the crime was spoken of.

"My, what a scandal. There is not enough jewels or flowers to rectify such a betrayal in the eyes of the innocent." Pleading could work, but even Aristeia would turn deaf ears to such earnest.

"After all of that, it is you being marched to the chopping block." Fairness was a concept long beaten out of soldiers from her world, but Aristeia had a childhood and upbringing that made her look at both sides.

• Yay
"I know, it is truly unfair," Raziel replied.

"Now, I may have skimmed over details. Some of which are quite sordid, a little impressive but not for wider company."

A salacious grin. A distinct flick of the tail and an arched eyebrow.

"But the details of interest might include a few other pieces of evidence they happened upon that might have connected the...Event... In question to the political situation around it. They all assume I might have been paid to orchestrate these events. No one seems to believe that expanding the young marquis' horizons was not my only aim. "

"I'm afraid I am quite out of options at this point. But do stop me if I am boring you."

"Boring me?" She snorted, turning her head to meet the gaze of the teifling. "Please, you are actually speaking sentences that are not commands from them lot up ahead."

Aristeia shrugged, now registering and filtering his words in her mind. "I think you got time to tell such a story. Those that care are too far and out of earshot." Aris raised her brows, a light challenge in order to hear what landed the teifling in this cage.

• Yay
"Well you see first of all there is the matter of an urgent letter to the bride-to-be's brother. Excellent penmanship, but the marquis claims that it is a forgery designed such that the recepient would find the marquis with...well there is no subtle way to put this...me in the."

"Obviously they believe either I, or an accomplice conspired on this matter."

Raziel gave a broad shrug. His tail shrugged too. If nothing else, he wanted someone to hear how much fun he had been through one on last dare.

"They collared some ruffian slinking around the grounds with the marquis' butler. They'd been drinking in the gardens all night, which meant the man failed in his duties. For he would have cleaned up such a mess before it could be discovered."

"And then this great bag of coins that found it's way into my things!"

Raziel dropped his voice, leaning towards the bars and hoping she would come closer.

"And this little raid and burned down barn which each side blames the other for just happened to occur the next day. Then the merchants of Alliria decide to call off a trade deal and...all this subtle, little coincidences to break this alliance apart. It would have taken a genius. And I am just a lone tiefling who happened to be in the wrong place - again, I shouldn't be so crude, but inside the marquis - at the wrong time. "

• Gasp
Aristeia found herself leaning that little bit closer to catch whispered words, her steeled expression crumbling once her brows knitted together. "And being a catalyst is a delight you enjoy partaking in?"

Although unexperienced, Aris had an understanding in the deeds beings would do for love or pleasure. Now it seemed ot could be an act to chip away at defences, to hinder any deals being brokered. Trust, crumbling so easily.

It was genius. A slight expression of being impressed lit up her face, an odd viewing when her scarred eye was sided closest to the tiefling.

Raziel

• Yay
"Oh, your eye looks as if it is cloudy, but you are so clearly through me," Raziel replied in mock surprise.

"I do flatter myself a little too easily sometimes. I am sure it is difficult for you to imagine, but some are all to easily tempted by their own desires."

"It's easy to get your way, when you offer delights that someone already wants. Even if they won't admit it to themselves."

Raziel leaned back. He stretched out his arms over his head with a feline grace. Smooth crimson limbs marred by ruddy brown bruises.

"But you can see I'm quite harmless. To you, anyway."

• Thoughtful
She turned to look forward, eyeing the two soldiers from earlier continuing on in silence. No one bothered to give either of them a glance their way, so it made her feel at ease to talk to the tiefling they had wanted it's tongue for peace and quiet.

"Temptation is such a poetic reason when it is you that is to be executed, which you do not look troubled by whatsoever." Her eyes flick downwards to the hand that previously held the droplets of his blood.

"And I wonder why that may be."

• Devil
"Oh it does bother me. A quick execution would be one thing. I suspect they want not to hear me beg, but to confess.

"If they can get the words they want out of me, maybe they can repair this entire mess. Or at least be justified in making a new enemy. Someone to blame."

Raziel followed her gaze over his shoulder. The guards were not the problem. The cage was.

"Which they will get. I am hardly a novice in the world of pain."

Another smile.

"But they will tear it from me eventually. Everyone breaks. But...enough of such melancholy. Who are you who might listen to my silly little story on the road?"

• Popcorn
The silver haired soldier stifled a snort, releasing a soft sigh as he turned the questions towards her. She didn't like to share all too often, even feeding the Commander she worked with in Dornoch small tidbits at a time. Aristeia pursed her lips and raised a brow to the tiefling, skewering him with a stare before imparting some information.

"I am not from here. This realm, the one my people call the Waking Realm. I hail from the Dreamlands, and that is all I am going to tell you." Gaze set forward again, the scars on her right side prominent as a slight breeze blew back her silver hair. "Curiosity is not an awful thing to indulge in, is it not?

Raziel

• Yay
There was a slow shift in the tiefling's expression. A little of the mask slipped as she explained her history. Raziel could not help but be genuinely intruiged by her explanation.

He placed one hand down and crawled forward until he could place his other hand on the bars. Golden eyes regarded her carefully.

Was she mad? He wondered. He didn't have the spare magic to try and distinguish between her and a human. If she wasn't of this realm, he had to wonder what power her blood might have held.

"I think indulgence are best to be served, when appropriate. And it is quite a shame you won't tell me more, of course."

• Derp
Aristeia's lips curled at the corners, humoured that it was now the tiefling fishing for more information.

"Careful. If you annoy me too much, I'll put you back into a slumber." In the Waking Realm, her power was significantly lesser than what she could truly wield in her home world, as the Dreamlands were her source and out here, awake and far from home? It was a wonder she even had a shred of power left to even make a great number of people fall into a gentle slumber.

But once she walks their dreams, she was back in control.

"That mercenary guy back there? With the red hair and sour expression? He annoyed me so much when we began this expedition. Put him to sleep and rode on ahead... and here I am." She tried to make the best of seeing the rest of this realm with open eyes, but the company was rather questionable.

Raziel

• Yay
"You are a surprising person," Raziel said earnestly.

"I would rather not sleep off the journey. I would wake up with an array of torture devices before my eyes and would feel I had been robbed of a final good conversation."

"Your common torturer is always so droll."

"I find myself slightly jealous. A boring conversation and..."

He gave a wave of his hand to indicate magic.

Stifling a snort, Aris merely shrugged at his words. She had no reason to rid herself of the only conversation she was able to keep up and entertain her momentarily.

"Common torturer? I daresay dread to hear what would constitute that title. Is creativity in the way of extracting information lacking severely in this realm?"

She was curious, of her question and of her own skills in such a field. How she came to be one of the most successful agents in gathering information, Aristeia wondered if her strengths would be an addition to the Waking Realm.

Raziel

"Oh it truly is," Raziel said as he glanced back down the caravan train.

"Any brute with a hatchet thinks he can extract a secret."

This was a turn of conversation that he had not expected. Raziel had hoped to test some boundaries, probe for weakness away from the guards to try and find a way out.

There was no weakness here. Raziel was instead fascinated.

"You think you haver the creativity for such a task?" he asked.

• Devil
Should she indulge the tiefling with morsels of her life in the Dreamlands? She considered for a moment, determining any risks but she shrugged lazily. "There were circumstances that led me to join the King's Army, and after a few years they saw the blood coating me did not make my stomach churn. I was selected to be part of an elite group that would set me apart from the Legion."

Aristeia adjusted her sword so that she could give him a sneak at the etchings in the pommel. "Each stroke denotes how many secrets I have recovered. How many jobs were completed satisfactorily." Each stroke were beginnings of a picture, of the castle and estate she grew up in. How many days and months and years she had hoped to escape the empty walls, now looking back at her isolation with grief.

"I am not paid to assassinate, just to get answers."
Raziel

• Yay
"Well this is a little awkward," Raziel admitted.

He tilted his open palms from side to side as if he was weighing imaginary objects against one another.

"I was actually hoping for someone plain and boring and - full transparency - a little dull that I could talk into letting me out."

"That's not you. But instead you are truly fascinating. Can you imagine my mixture of disappointment and surprise?" he asked.

• Thoughtful
Aristeia snorted. "And here I thought you an opportunist of the highest degree. Not going to bother trying to talk me into coming to your aide?" Curiosity had the young woman wonder what he thought to offer in hopes to sway her in his favour, what he would suggest in value to his release.

"You are merely a being along my travels that I chose to speak to. I can only imagine what disappointment you are feeling." She was unsure if the risk was worth it on her end. Without full power, she could not chance this tiefling to go against her. Her eyes found the quickly drying blood he had drew into his palm.

"What you awakened beings think is fascinating in this world most often than not turns that fascination into a cage. Physically or theoretically." It was what she felt in Dornoch, and the idea to be relieved of such routine resulted her here.

Raziel

"I am just a being," Raziel repeated.

In his world, everyone else was just a thing. A puppet whose strings he needed to conduct. There were people along the way that he looked upon fondly, but his life was about himself.

He supposed it should not have come as a surprise to have the same opinion offered from another perspective.

"I need opportunity to exploit, of course," he replied.

"When I am so tedious, what could I possibly offer that would entice you?" he thought out loud.

• Thoughtful