Open Chronicles Orcs Bhathairk (Character Intro)

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Bal'gorath

White Claw
Travel and mercenary work, two things that went hand in hand together. Couple that with an orc who wanted to see the world and do things, and you had yourself a good combination. But where would an orc find mercenary work? Most anywhere really, but Bal'gorath didn't want simple mercenary work, he also wanted to see the great sights of the world, the great cities of each species. He'd already seen Belgrath, he lived near there so it was a sight he'd seen several times, but everything West of the Spine was new territory. To explore this territory, Bal'gorath had decided to become a mercenary, with his first destination being Bhathairk, the great stronghold of the Orcs. He'd started traveling there after a short pit stop at Belgrath, but had moved on quickly after that.

It had taken Bal'gorath the better part of a month and a half to arrive at Bhathairk. During that time he'd seen several wonders and had to fight off numerous people that thought he was an easy target. Finally though he arrived in the orc city, after a long and arduous journey that was just the beginning of his adventure. Standing a ways away from the main entrance to the orc city, Bal'gorath simply watched as people came and went from the city, paying various fees to enter and leave. It all seemed rather simple, even the chaos itself seemed organized in its own manner. Grinning at the sight and the thought, Bal'gorath made his way towards the entrance, marching his way into the city without paying the guards. They were looking for merchants, not singular orcs with nothing of value visible on them.

Making his way into the city proper, Bal'gorath was stunned with how big the city was, and just how many people were there. Looking around, he also noted that he was rather tall compared to most others here, and well equipped. Not to say that he was the best equipped, but it was telling that he had high quality armor. Those others that were similar were also mercenaries, but far more experienced. Grinning a toothy grin at that, Bal'gorath made his way further into the bustling city, careful not to bump into others, but still taking in the splendid, orcish view of the city.

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Naghi and Fynaurie
Bhathairk was a city that reminded him very much of Molthal.

There was a life to this place, one that seemed to move and tussle in it's own sort of way. There was a savagery to the way the Orcs made their living, the smell of meat and blood lingering in the air as the half-giant wandered through the markets.

He drew less eyes here than he did in many other places. Among the humans he stood out, a giant to even the tallest man.

Here it was different.

Though this place was primarily a following of Orcs, other creatures resided within the halls. Goblins, Trolls, and even Ogres moved among the crowds as though they belonged. Their size was even his, but whereas there were thousands of orcs, the Half-giant saw only dozens as tall as he.

They allowed him to blend in better, but as he moved hefting his axe he found eyes still staring at him. The color of his skin, the mark upon his chest. Word of what...of who he was had slowly spread before him.

Naghi, son of Menalus, the conqueror to the east.

His armies had begun to march West of the Spine, and like a slow tide he had set to burning and taking new lands that would become his. Bhathairk was not ignorant of this, and those that knew him quickly scampered away to inform those who needed to know.

Bal'gorath

Having just entered the city for the first time, Bal'gorath didn't know anyone, though he did recognize many species. The sheer variety of people here was astounding, far more than he'd ever seen before. In Belgrath there were primarily dwarves, some humans, and a small splattering of others. Here, here there were more orcs than Bal'gorath had ever seen, along with so many others that he was having a hard time keeping track of everything.

That proved detrimental to him, as while his war hammer was in his hand, a little gnome was able to rush up to him and steal his small bag from his hip. Now, the bag really only had some food in it, with his valuables being higher up or under his armor, but that didn't take away from the fact that it made Bal'gorath angry. Whirling around at once, he rushed after the little bag thief, further into the crowd. Where the gnome had to twist and turn around people, Bal'gorath simply rushed through them, or they moved out of his way, which let him close the gap easily.

The gnome hadn't been prepared for such a quick chase and thus didn't look everywhere he was going. So, when a gap appeared, he took it, despite that gap being there for a good reason. The gnome had just dove right into the gap around Naghi, thinking it was something else. In doing so, he ran full force into Naghi, promptly falling on his bottom while staring up at the half-fire giant. It was then that Bal'gorath arrived, swiftly nearing the gnome. Squeaking in surprise, that was all the gnome could do as Bal'gorath clubbed the small creature over the head with his hammer.

Growling down at the gnome, Bal'gorath quickly retrieved his bag while taking the other bags the gnome had stolen. Attaching them to his waist, he picked up the gnome with one hand, silently wondering what to do with the little irritant. Looking back towards the wall where the guards were, Bal'gorath chuckled. Then he threw the gnome towards the gate as hard as he could. The gnome easily flew the entire way, landing with a thud by the guards. Calling out to the guards then, Bal'gorath said one word to them.
"Thief!"

They knew what to do then, and they set about their job with great gusto. Bal'gorath for his part ignored that and instead turned to Naghi, taking in the tall half giant. Grinning at him, Bal'gorath shook his head.
"Sorry for that, annoying little critter stole my bag." Turning back to catch a glimpse of the bloody spectacle occurring with the gnome, Bal'gorath laughed. "I don't think he'll live to regret his action."

Turning his gaze to Naghi again, Bal'gorath saw that he didn't recognize the species that Naghi was. Tilting his head in curiosity, Bal'gorath spoke once more, voice filled with curiosity.
"If you don't mind my asking, what are you? I've never seen one such as yourself before. Not saying much, but it's true."

Naghi

• Popcorn
Reactions: Naghi
Back home such an act and line of questioning probably would have lead to execution.

Menalus did not care for his sons, but insult to his crown was something else. Everyone should recognize a son of the Great Fire Giant of Molthal. That was at least what his father thought, but Naghi was not so discerning.

He knew that he was far from his home, and in a city such as this it often paid more to be friendly than simply lash out. It was a lesson that he'd had to learn previously, but the city of the Orcs was not his to with as he pleased.

At least not yet. "I am a son of Menalus."

The words caused a small rumble to flow through those nearby. Some quickly scurried away, and in the distance he could see the crowd moving strangely.

He glanced at the bloody gnome.

"I don't think he will." Naghi said in agreement with Bal'gorath, chuckgling slightly to himself.

Nodding as the half-fire giant introduced himself, Bal'gorath noted the reactions of those around them. They seemed almost fearful, though he didn't know why. News didn't reach all that far into the Ixchel Wilds really, so he didn't know who this being really was. Extending an arm to Naghi, Bal'gorath wanted to see how he'd return the greeting, even as he spoke.
"I am Bal'gorath, of the White Claw tribe. Can't say I've really heard of you or Menalus, but I'm sure I will soon enough."

Grinning wryly, Bal'gorath turned his attention to the others in the crowd around them. Gazing questiningly at those that had moved away from Naghi as had introduced himself.
"It seems these people don't like you, or at least whoever this Menalus is. Why's that son of Menalus?"

While Bal'gorath was new to the wider world, he knew that if natives and those more traveled were fearful of something or someone, one should be as well. Natives know more about their surroundings than some wanderer after all. As such, Bal'gorath stood somewhat more erect, his left hand gripping the war hammer tighter, even as he rested the hammer on his shoulder.

Naghi

• Thoughtful
"I bring war." He told the orc, shrugging his shoulders.

There was no sign of threat to Naghi aside from his immense size. The axe he carried was slung across his back, there was no other weapons on him, and even his fingers hung loosely at his side. The expression he held was nearly blank.

"My army marches to the east." He explained. "And beyond that lays the Kingdom of my father, a place that many here despise."

If only out of jealousy. "I am Naghi, and you truly must be from far if you have not heard of my father."

That was not exactly pure ego speaking. Menalus was the great threat of the East. The Fire-Giant had long ruled over the blightlands, and it had been the fear of many that eventually such a claim would no longer sate his thirst.

Nodding in response, Bal'gorath eased himself into a relaxed position. Seems that Naghi wouldn't harm him, or at the very least wouldn't right now. Smirking slightly, Bal'gorath shook his head before responding.
"Far in a sense, not so much distance as isolation. I come from the East as well, from the Ixchel Wilds."

Adopting a thoughtful expression, he turned to the gate slightly, looking out into the distance. He had heard rumors, but never took them at face value. However, here, people seemed to believe it all, and feared it too.
"I've heard rumors Naghi, but then again, not all rumors are to be believed. Perhaps I've heard of your father but simply forgotten." Smirking at the thought, Bal'gorath turned his attention back to Naghi, taking the half-fire giant in with new eyes. Chuckling at the sight, he spoke once more. "That said, I haven't heard of a Naghi before. Seems though that you take pride in who your father is. That's good, but why not take pride in who you are and what you do?"

Fixing Naghi with a questioning stare, Bal'gorath raised an eyebrow slightly, grinning somewhat the entire time.

Naghi

• Popcorn
He chuckled. "No pride, I assure you of that."

There was only hated there. Menalus was not a kind father, in fact, he did not even deserve the title. The sons of Molthal were often tossed to the wilds, forced to survive and thrive on their own. Each day was a test, and each test could lead to death.

Naghi and his brothers had been beaten and half starved for most of their lives. They had been forced to fight others and one another simply to see who was 'worthy' of what little praise Menalus saw fit to give.

"My pride will come." He told the man. "It is why I am here. It is why my army marches west."

Naghi leaned into the Orc. "Not for the name of my father, but for my own."

As would soon become clear. His banners would eclipse those of Molthal.

Snorting slightly, Bal'gorath merely nodded. To each their own, if Naghi had no pride in his father, then something must've happened to garner a dislike for him. Bal'gorath didn't know his past, so he merely nodded in return, indicating he'd not mention it again. For him, life had been good with his clan, yes a constant challenge, but nothing they couldn't handle, together.

Nodding again to Naghi, Bal'gorath noted that Naghi wanted pride and honor for himself. That was good, but perhaps the way of going about it not so much.
"I'm glad that you want to make a name for yourself. But is war the only way to do so?"

Quirking an eyebrow at Naghi, Bal'gorath patted him on the shoulder in sympathy. Chuckling once more, he observed the half-fire giant before speaking once more.
"You say this army marches for your name, and yet when you introduced yourself, you said son of Menalus. You didn't say that your name was Naghi. All this makes me think that you don't want to do this, or rather, you feel like you have to. To make a point, to prove something, or some other reason, I don't know. But is it accurate?"

Naghi

• Popcorn
"What is the only way afforded to me." Naghi said crpytically as he motioned with his right hand.

There at the edge of the city square the crowd could be seen parting.

Dozens of men and women approached, though they were not of the usual sort. They all wore armor, or the like of it anyway. Many of them carried weapons and one even held a banner. The city of the Orcs was not like others. There wasn't an official Watch or anything, but these men clearly thought of themselves as such.

Naghi motioned to Bal'Gorath. "I am my fathers son. An expectations lay as heavy as the compulsion upon myself."

The words came as one of the men who approached called out.

"NAGHI OF MOLTHAL! You dare enter our city? Without your army of slaves or your fathers beasts?"​

The Half-Giant did not answer, only took a few step towards the crowd of guardsmen.

Snarling at that, Bal'gorath shook his head.
"It's the only way if you make it that. Make a different way, make your own destiny that you choose." Motioning as well to the people that came, Bal'gorath continued. "They come because of your father's legacy, because of what you have done in his name."

Pointing at Naghi, Bal'gorath shook his head once more.
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you will be. It's a saying I've heard from warriors, told to me to remind me that we should learn from the past, not be controlled by it. Do not fall into a trap that has consumed countless others! You may be your father's son, but you can be more, oh so much more if you just choose to be."

Gritting his teeth, he took a step forward, standing by Naghi's side, back half turned to the guards, wholly focused on Naghi. When he spoke next, his voice was low, eyes boring into Naghi. "The expectations are layed upon you by a father that you hate. By an army of slaves, yearning to be free. By your own mind, because you don't think about what could be."

Taking another step forward, Bal'gorath stood between Naghi and the guards, unofficial as they were. Fixing Naghi with a steely gaze, Bal'gorath tightened his grip on his hammer, even as he extended his arm once more.
"Rise above your past and take your future, make it your own and don't conform to what you've been told you must do. I don't know you truly, nor do you know me. But trust me when I say that anyone can change. So change Naghi, change for the better!"

Naghi

• Popcorn
Naghi considered the words.

He did not deny that even through usurping his fathers will it was still carried out in a way. Yet his life was his life.

The Half-Giant had never wanted to be anything other than what he was. He did not want to be a farmer. He did not want to be a man of peace. He did not want any of that. What he wanted...what he truly desired was seeing his fathers brought low.

Bal'Ggorath's words rang through his ears, fingers tightening slightly.

Was the Orc right? Yes. Yes he was right. Following in the steps of Menalus would not do, but neither would he deny himself. It was his right to conquer, to take, and to eventually bring his father defeat. Fingers cluthed his great axe, the haft glowing a bright red.

"You are right, friend Orc." Naghi said with a smile.

He slowly regarded those that had come to face him.

"Change will come." He assured them. "Through me."

The Half-Giant then moved to turn and leave.

Bal'gorath saw that Naghi was taking his words to heart, and as such he held up his hand to stop the guards in their tracks. Even as he did that, his gaze never left Naghi's eyes. In doing so, he could also see the conflict, though Bal'gorath didn't say anything yet. He did drop his arm though, noting that Naghi wasn't going to take it. Nodding in agreement, Bal'gorath continued to observe Naghi. It seems he was still bent on changing things, but Bal'gorath was unsure what that change would be. Hopefully for the better of all.

As Naghi turned to leave, Bal'gorath took a step forward as well, to stand next to him.
"Change will come, yes. But it can't be done alone. Especially if my hunch on you planning to change the Blightlands is true. If it is true friend, then allow me to accompany you, to provide you company and friendship. To be a voice of reason, and a warrior that can and will help you. If you truly plan on turning on Menalus."

Bal'gorath had no true knowledge of what was going through Naghi's head, nor did he know if the half-fire giant truly would fight against his father and kill the man. But Bal'gorath was determined to make it happen, and if it turned out that Naghi wanted to destroy the cities of the world. Well, this was the best way to quickly and efficiently find out his plans, and react accordingly.

Naghi

• Popcorn
He did plan to turn on his father, but the path might not be one that Menalus expected. Before he could take Molthal he needed to build a base of power.

His father was not weak by any means. The Blightlands were sparse, but thousands upon thousands of tribes had sworn loyalty to the Fire-Giant of Molthal. It would take a mighty force to bring down his father, and Naghi's methods would not be kind. "There will be blood."

Naghi told the Orc.

"That of innocents." Naghi had never been one for wanton slaughter, but he did not shy away from shows of force. "Any who stand in my way."

He glanced at the guards. "It will be a long path."

The words fell from him, but nowhere was there a rejection of Bal'Gorath's request.

Bal'gorath nodded simply in response. He had expected that. From the sounds of it, this Menalus was powerful, which meant that Naghi needed an army or ten to take the Blightlands. That always meant that someone would be hurt, or die, and most often those people would be innocents. However, Bal'gorath swore then and there to do his best to minimize this.

"Every path is long, but to get started it takes a single step." Grinning slightly, Bal'gorath nodded to Naghi, noting that there was no rejection of his request. To him, that meant he'd accompany Naghi to defeat Menalus.

Nodding to Naghi, Bal'gorath spoke once more.
"Though the path may be long, I'll stick through to the end. If it does prove to be beneficial to the majority." Grinning once more, he motioned for Naghi to continue on, completely ignoring the guards the entire time.

Naghi

• Wonder
"Then you are welcome." Naghi could not deny the request, though he could not help but feel Bal'gorath and he would come to blow over some things.

Perhaps though...he would need such a companion before things were done.

The Half-giant smiled, his beard shivering slightly as he nodded and turned away from the Orc, intending to continue his march out of the city. Before he could take a third step however an arrow landed in the mud just before the two of them.

"You're not going anywhere!"​

A voice boomed out, the drawing of swords could be heard.

"I ain't losing this opportunity to put your head on a spike."​

It was the voice of the guardsmen that had confronted him earlier. Naghi half turned, seeing that every one of the men had drawn their weapons.

Bal'gorath nodded, grinning toothily at Naghi. He'd make sure to keep Naghi on a good path, and also help take down Menalus. It was when Naghi moved to leave that the sudden attack came, taking Bal'gorath by surprise. Blinking, he turned to gaze at the guards, not quite grasping why they did as they did.

Turning to confront them as well, Bal'gorath shook his head before sighing.
"He's not your enemy, Menalus is. So let him go and we'll all be fine."

Even with these words, Bal'gorath suspected that the guards wouldn't let them leave and that violence would occur. As such, he shifted his stance to one of preparedness, even as he tightened his grip on his warhammer. Bal'gorath knew that if a fight did happen, he'd be part of it. He'd been seen speaking with Naghi on somewhat friendly terms, and was standing against the guards. However, he wouldn't initiate the fight, of that he was certain.

Naghi

• Popcorn
He did not move to lash out. Once he might have, rushing in to slaughter the guards before they could get the advantage of the first move. Yet he realized that such action would be pointless here.

The both of them stood in a city full of enemies. This place did not belong to him, and Bhatharik was no village. This city had a population of thousands, and as mighty a warrior as he was Naghi could not stand against all of them. Not even with a new ally.

"Do you know how many people he's killed? How many orcs?"

It was true.

Naghi had slaughtered dozens in his time. He would never deny such a thing, though such actions were not together uncommon in the blightlands for anyone. His father had created a savage land. "I wi-"

Before Naghi could speak one of the younger guards spat on the ground and let out an echoing roar.

The young orc raised his axe and charged forward, clear on his intent.

Bal'gorath noted how restrained Naghi was, and was grateful for it. He also knew how hopeless the situation was right now, if it wasn't ended at least somewhat diplomatically. Thus, Bal'gorath sneered at what the young orc said. Everyone had killed, even he had killed in the past. He was going to say something, as was Naghi it seemed, but the young orc was too headstrong and simply rushed in, swinging his axe.

Growling at that, Bal'gorath stepped forward, raising his hammer and smacking the axe to the side as the young orc rushed him. Then he backhanded the orc with enough force to knock over a young tree. Taking another step forward, one armored boot now pressing down on the back of the young orc, keeping him down, he spoke once more.
"We've all killed. How many more will die for a fight here and now? You heard him, heard me! We're going to kill the one on top, which means less deaths later." Bringing his hammer down, Bal'gorath held it before the orcs face, growling out the next line. "Isn't that what you want. An end to this senseless fighting, and a purpose? Then here it is, fool."

Despite the pressure on the young orc, Bal'gorath also kept an eye on the other guards. He didn't want to be stabbed in the back after all. Keeping an eye on both the guards and the one below his boot, Bal'gorath kept a tight grip on his hammer, ready to move himself at a moments notice.

Naghi

• Popcorn
Naghi watched as Bal'Gorath brought the charging orc low. The warriors strike was enough to send the boy flying, though as soon as he landed within the much he could see the others tense.

They wanted blood.

Even now their focus was not on Bal'Gorath, but Naghi. Their eyes set on him as one would a prize cow. He had seen the look before. It heralded a call for vengeance. He must have done something to them. A member of their clan, their family.

His teeth barred slightly, fingers tightening on the haft of his axe.

The weapon began to softly glow. First the heated metal turned orange, then it warped into a deep red as the Half-Giant leaned forward. "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!"

His voice boomed, the puddles within the muck shook as he yelled.

"KILL ME IF YOU CAN!" The words were a challenge, but more than that they were a bluff. Enough fear in their hearts and they would walk away.

Unless they proved true fools.

The other orc didn't speak yet, apparently too terrified to respond. Not that it mattered, Bal'gorath had made his point to the kid, one that the others in the guard didn't seem to get. But Naghi seemed to want the challenge, or at least not try to prevent it the way Bal'gorath had.

Sighing to himself, Bal'gorath hefted his warhammer back onto his shoulder before taking a few steps back. Now he was standing by Naghi's side, almost as tall and imposing as the half-fire giant. Baring his teeth in a snarl at the guards, Bal'gorath waited for their move. At the same time he quietly whispered to Naghi.

"We should leave now, before too much blood is spilt. I don't enjoy the prospect of running, but it's better than to become bogged down in an entire city of enemies."
Bal'gorath didn't truly want to run, but he also knew a hopeless fight when he saw it. For now the others around them didn't interfere, but that could change at a moment's notice, and he did not want to be there when that happened.

Naghi

NOTE!!

I most likely won't be posting for the next week, at least till Friday. Just wanted to let you know, so that it's not me just vanishing. Sorry in advance and thanks!

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Naghi slowly nodded. "Agreed."

The odds were not at all in their favor within the city, and even outside of it things would not look good. His army was still leagues away, and to reach it they would have to cross miles of countryside that certainly held no love for him at all.

So without another word Naghi slowly took a step back.

The crowd behind the two near giants parted, slowly moving to step out of their way almost like a parting sea. The Orc guard that had moved to confront them hesitated, yet as he watched them Naghi could see some tighten the grip on their weapons in anger and frustration.

Slowly the half-giant turned.

The crowd moved further apart, and at a normal pace the two companions began to leave the Great orc city.

That was when the first arrow landed.

The barbed black steel pierced through Naghi bicep, cutting Into the meat of his flesh and carving a hole in an instant. A spray of brackish black blood fell to the floor, and a grunt passed from his throat as he half turned to see three more archers standing ready. "Go!"

He called to Bal'gorath has he hastened his step.

(no problem at all mate.)

Bal'gorath noted the nod, but said nothing further, now was not the time. Instead he did as Naghi did, slowly back away from the guards, even as they people parted before them. Then they were further away, and further, and that fact gave him hope, until the arrow hit. The first arrow hit Naghi, but it seems they shot a few more, and a few were aimed at Bal'gorath. For his part, the armor on his body protected him from harm, though one arrow did imbed itself into his shoulder pauldron.

Growling at the arrows and the guards, Bal'gorath followed Naghi's advice and ran. It wasn't in his nature to do so, and it certainly wasn't what he'd been expecting in his first outing, but it was what happened. Growling low as he ran, Bal'gorath kept pace with Naghi, even if it was harder due to the half-fire giant's larger gait. Regardless, he ran on, heading to the gate to leave the city, brushing past those too slow to get out of his way. No doubt the people at the gate would be trouble, but they hadn't closed the gate itself yet, thankfully.

Naghi

• Thoughtful
Bells began to ring.

He remembered those sounds well, alarms meant to call those to arm who could come. A curse rang from his lips as his lumbering steps took him througha large square. "The gates will be closed."

Naghi called over the Bal'Gorath.

There was no doubt in his mind that the ORcs who had attacked them would want to see them dead, lying about what had happened would not be beyond them. If he and Bal were caught, it was likely that there would be a trial.

Naghi's own reputation meant such a thing would not go well, they had to get out of the city.

"Do you know a way out?" He asked as his feet thumped through the mud.

Bal'gorath heard the bells and knew what that meant, the same as Naghi. Growling in anger, he kept rushing forward, still trying to at least get away from the guards. He heard what Naghi said too, but he also knew that it'd be better to get closer to the gates, and thus the wall.

As he kept running, he turned his head to Naghi before speaking.
"The walls themselves, we just need to climb. Climb high, fast, and far."

Once that was said, Bal'gorath suddenly turned right, heading towards a small alley, with the buildings packed close to each other. As he turned, he heard another arrow whoosh by, missing by inches. However, the orc ignored it, instead focusing on running to the alley. As he got closer, he spoke once more, voice more a growl now that he had adrenalin pumping through him.
"We climb here, then hop over somewhere. Move it Naghi!"

And just like that he was in the alley, the guards still chasing both Naghi and himself. Once he was close enough, Bal'gorath suddenly leapt up and onto one of the buildings, hanging on tightly. Then he was climbing up, not quickly yet, but it was progress. He didn't pause to look back at Naghi, trusting the half-fire giant to be following, or at least doing something smart.

Naghi

• Sip