Fable - Ask One Man's Treasure

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Andros

Hand of the Shura
Character Biography
Link
1687991829227.png

West of Vel Anir and south of the Baal Asha River, a tomb carved into a mountain stands as a monument to a kingdom long lost to time, with a nameless king interred there with only the most valuable treasures of his time buried with him. The legend of the tomb spread among the locals, passing from village to village until it picked up wind to the ears of both treasure seekers and nobles alike. People region-wide who aimed to find or grow their fortune crowded to the entrance, intent on entering and leaving with untold riches. However, it was not that simple, as many found the tomb as their final resting place...

The windy sand scorched bare skin like the glaring sun which stood upon the apex of its arc above the clouds. Andros thanked the covering of his cloak and wide-brimmed hat of straw, standing at the foot of the tomb. His travels brought him near the area, and the rumors of the tomb were brought to his attention. Andros was experienced, and his experience led him to believe that a magical artifact of great power lay within. Not only that, but he sensed a particular energy beneath the tomb's depths. This was worth investigating. The best scenario was his hunch being wrong, but Andros knew otherwise than to bet against his instincts.

"This place is as lively as a cemetery...well, that makes more sense now that I think about it." He walked forward, kneeling and examining trampled linen and bundled sticks, with a recently extinguished firepit at the center of the mess made there. It was a medium-sized group, at least a dozen. By the looks of it, a group had broken camp; perhaps Andros would find others inside. If he were lucky, they would be alive. Standing and dusting his cloak, Andros gave the entrance another look, tilting his head at the markings adorning the carved pillars.

Bodies, bodies, valuable bodies, bodies that would be ideal for his research and for growing the supply of available parts. Of course, they had been living seconds before until an unfortunate encounter with a form of necromantic trap rendered them quite dead. Fortunately, he wasn’t so easy to kill as Vanir’s great sword cleaved the last of the creatures in half, and it went down with a hiss of fury. Vanir was Junius’ favorite puppet, created from his former chief tormenter at the academy, who thought he might get rid of Junius in the horror that had been their botched final exam by striking him for refusing to cooperate. Unfortunately for him, he never saw the dagger Junius had on his threads and had met a swift end, which had likely been a fluke but the man died nonetheless. Without that bit of skullduggery, Junius would likely be very dead since Vanir had been a proctor and teacher of the martial classes such as sword fighting, the ones Junius was most inept at, and he had greatly disliked Junius.

”Excellent job, Vanir, I can always count on you to deal with any situation.” With a thought and a tug, one of the glowing red threads attached to Vanir’s head flashed slightly. These threads were attached to Vanir in various other places as well, giving Junius a lifelike level of control over the puppet. Only Junius and powerful casters who were looking could see his threads or sometimes sense them. Most people had no chance of doing so.

”Of course, Master Junius. Whatever these creatures were, they are no more.” What those on the outside looking in would find disturbing if they knew was that this was effectively Junius talking to himself, since the body was simply a heavily modified shell that was animated with marionette magic. There was a sick pleasure that he derived from having one of his chief former tormentors calling him master, even if it was effectively Junius calling himself master. He looked down on the ground at the piles of bodies. The entryway of the tomb contained numerous corpses in various states of decay. The squeaking of rats filled the room as they feasted on carrion. There were very few usable parts here, to be honest.

Stepping over the pile of bodies, he inspected the corpse of whatever had attacked them. Some kind of warriors with ancient, rusted armor with the crest of some long dead king, arose from several large nearby sarcophagi to strike at them. The band of mercenaries Junius had met a few nights back in the village three days travel from here had not survive. He had met them and had struck up a conversation, and they had become fast friends, or so Junius had led them to believe. He had no strong feelings about any particular being, other than his friends of course. Though the Dreadlords hated and reviled other races, Junius simply had no real animosity for anyone and simply assessed beings based on their use to him at the point of their meeting.

Now they lay dead and quite mangled as the creatures had made short work of them. Out of the five enemies, twelve mercenaries had managed to take down one. ‘What a truly, incomprehensibly, incompetent bunch’, Junius thought to himself. Their attackers were dead far too many years to be of use and after rifling through the mercenary party’s possessions and taking what he thought valuable, he only found one body that was mostly untouched. The unfortunate soul had been killed with a jab in the throat and looked fairly young, likely mid-twenties. He had been the happiest of them all, bright and excited to explore the tomb.

He shrugged and squatted down, touching the corpse of the young mercenary and uttering a brief phrase, and suddenly the ruby around his neck began to glow as an inky black smoke poured out of it, surrounding the corpse. The smoke pooled entirely around its target, obscuring the corpse from view. Once the body could be seen no more, the smoke flowed back into the gem, and the corpse was gone, as if it had never been there. He repeated the same task with one of the undead defenders of the tomb. Likely not much use but still worth a look.

Standing up with a sigh, Junius observed his surroundings, noticing the vast empty entry chamber of the tomb that led off the main entrance. He noted the other door on the other side of the empty stone room which likely led deeper into the tomb. It had all likely been built this way to inspire a sense of awe amongst those who would enter, but Junius cared little for such trivialities. What did any of the matter, once you were dead? It was useful to no one since it couldn’t even be inhabited unless you wanted to fall victim to one of the many traps that lined the corridors.

Instead of going through the tomb by himself, Junius opted to wait and see who else might wander in. He had time, after all, and he still wanted to see what other interesting things were present in this place. Based on the number of dead mercenaries, sellswords, and mages around here, the area likely got traffic often. Also, Gilram wasn’t expecting anything from him for a while, so Junius had time off. This was an interesting place to spend it. He sublty moved the fingers on his right hand and his puppet began walked over to a nearby stone, standing by Junius who sat down on the cool rock, observing the area.

• Yay
Reactions: Varian Armata
"I sense a great evil in this place..." Andros's initial tone was severe before brightening up as he entered the tomb's mouth. "Is what Master Tsung would say if he were here. Thankfully, he's not. Don't need another lecture." He shrugged, taking a moment to spin around and get a full view of his environment. It was odd; the broken camp indicated a party of a dozen or so people, but the amount he could sense in the surrounding areas was far less. What happened to the rest?

His question was soon answered as he accidentally kicked one of the mangled corpses, an adventuring party that looked to have met their end at the hands of the many deathtraps and monsters that seemed to have a penchant for killing their kind. He offered a half-hearted prayer before stepping over them, careful not to accidentally trip onto an untriggered pressure plate.

Unfortunately, his foot slipped on one of the still-liquid pools of blood, landing on one of the traps he wished to avoid. The pressure plate sank into the ground as a whistle filled the room's silent air. Andros tilted his head toward the whistling, bringing a hand up to catch what looked to be a poisoned dart in mid-air, the tip of it a hair's width away from piercing his eye.

"What was that saying at the monastery? Expect the unexpected? Well, they never taught you to expect the expected." Andros continued to mutter to himself before running into Junius and one of his many corpse puppets.

He offered a wave, and a casual greeting, which sounded odd given the question he would ask after. "Yo... Did you do this?" He eyed the young exile up and down, his gaze hidden by his straw hat, shifting to the lifeless husk standing guard. He could feel a faint connection between the two but had little time to think deeply about it, shaking his head at its unimportance.

Junius Alfort

• Yay
Reactions: Junius Alfort
Not much time had passed before Junius grew bored and he began to idly inspect one of the corpses, a grotesquely dirty man in his early 30s. Notably, His nose was mishappen from years of fighting and the tibia on his left leg had obviously been broken and improperly healed as the calf bulged slightly. Junius also hated his face, the man’s parents must’ve been real lookers. Still, the body was overall in good shape and with enough facial reconstruction, he could create something out of it. Though, Junius could create something out of whichever template he had to work with, and there was nothing notable about this one that warranted taking.

The room was vast, but sound still carried and Junius heard one of the many traps, which he had navigated using Vanir’s armored frame, go off. The whistling sound of an object hurdling through space reached his ears, followed by an abrupt thwack. Rather than the sound of a possible new subject collapsing onto the ancient stonework, nothing followed. Junius assumed that whoever it was had survived the trap, and that they were someone adept at hiding their footsteps, but he didn’t feel threatened enough to attempt to ascertain the source of the noise. His wards would alert him of any pending attack. He had picked up a few basic wards from a college mage he had done some work on several months ago who had visited him for fixing a shattered arm. They weren’t much, and couldn’t physically protect him, but could at least alert him when someone was near with malevolent intentions before they surprised him.

He didn’t have long to wait, however, as a tall individual with what looked like could be blonde hair hidden under a straw hat approached him around one of the crumbling pillars that kept this dilapidated structure from fully collapsing, his gaze hidden under the hat. “Yo…Did you do this?”, the tall man said after a laidback and carefree greeting. A good first impression, Junius thought, since he would’ve gone straight to the killing if the tall man had been overly belligerent with him.

Standing from his stone and uttering a quick word to cast an incantation that removed all of the accumulated dust from his trousers, Junius turned to face the newcomer with his trademark glowing smile tinged with a hint of madness. “By this, if you mean the pile of mercenary corpses that have joined the others that litter this place, then no. However, if you are referring to those necrotic undead over there, then yes, I am responsible for returning them to the other side. This merry band of mercenaries made grandiose claims, stating under the influence of strong drink that they would plunder this place and gain unimaginable wealth from its many artifacts of power, but sadly they were completely useless in real combat, which fell well within my expectations for them. I certainly hope that you’re more capable than they were, or it is likely you will end up amongst the permanent residents of this tomb”, he finished in a jovial tone.

Andros

• Yay
Reactions: Andros
"Huh. Is that so?" Andros gave Junius another analyzing glance before walking around the corpses, kneeling to one and inspecting its wounds, then moving to a slain creature and poking at it with a finger. It looked like this tomb was under new management. New but by no means improved.

Andros filtered out most of what Junius said, honing in on only the most essential details, clicking his tongue as the younger man continued to talk. He didn't seem to mind the collection of carcasses Junius propped up with his magic, walking past or around them whenever they obstructed his path, exploring the room and ensuring there weren't any unwanted secrets yet to be revealed. "I don't think I'd be too worried until later. The battle power I sense from these creatures is faint, drowned out by what I picked up at the entrance."

Satisfied with his findings, Andros would stand up and turn away from Junius, towards the room that led deeper in. Before he took another step, Andros released a deep breath, taking a moment to limber up and stretch, performing exercises one might conduct before a workout.

"I'm not here for any treasure, but there's a presence here that I would like to investigate. I hope you weren't here to look for any treasure. Artifacts from places like these often take more than they promise to give in return."

Junius Alfort

Junius watched Andros inspect the corpses, stepping around Vanir to do so. Part of him was glad he wasn’t fooled by Vanir, as he would likely have been too weak to be of any use. Vanir had entirely fooled the mercenary band and Junius had passed him off as his travelling companion. He could hide most traces of his magic, but if one had delicate enough senses for such things, they would be able to sense the energy emanating between Junius and his creations. The other part of him was slightly offended that he hadn’t noticed the craftsmanship in his work.

On the surface, it was apparent that Andros had some kind of magical abilities. He was obviously much more capable in hand-to-hand combat than Junius. In fact, raiding tombs was not something Junius did on a regular basis since it required him to be able to oftentimes be within physical attack range of his enemy. That was not something he normally preferred, though he was not helpless and could hold his own in close quarters better than the average person due to the Dreadlord training.

As Andros stood up from his inspections, he began to perform various exercises. This, Junius did know. He could see Andros’ deltoid on his left arm tense as he stretched, a coiled mass of muscle and power. The brachioradialis twisted as his arm turned. He had a stunningly wonderful vessel, and if something did kill him during their time here, Junius would be collecting this one. Fortunately, as insane as some considered him, Junius was not the type to simply murder someone on a whim.

After several moments of silent stretching, Andros finally spoke. “I'm not here for any treasure, but there's a presence here that I would like to investigate. I hope you weren't here to look for any treasure. Artifacts from places like these often take more than they promise to give in return”, Andros stated flatly.

Junius stroked his chin, considering a moment before he replied. “I wouldn’t say that I’m here to take any artifacts necessarily, though that would certainly be a bonus. The real reason I’m here is information. Old tombs like this are full of insights, magical and otherwise, collected and buried with their owners, especially these necromancy types. There is much to be learned here. The name is Junius, by the way.”

Andros

"Andros. A pleasure, friend." He let out a final groan, getting the last hitches along his muscles stretched out. Despite the dark and foreboding atmosphere of the tomb and their surrounding company, Andros seemed calm, his guard looked to be all the way lowered to being non-existent, but his run-in with that trap would prove that notion misleading. "I'm not often around these parts, a bit out of the way from the temple."

"Well, if you're not here just to tour the entrance, I'd say it would be best to work together, wouldn't you agree? You can keep whatever we find, provided its potential to destroy the world is low." With that out of the way, Andros would walk down the hallway, not bothering to see if Junius would follow. This seemed to be the only way through, and if the exile wanted to join him, this would be the path that must be taken.

The walls were dark, but light would reveal carvings that dated back to olden times, telling the story of who was housed deep within. It seemed to have housed a ruler versed in the art of magics, with its final resting place also accommodating most of his most magnificent creations.

After a few more minutes of walking, they came to another room, this one wider and taller than the other, with what looked to be stone orbs carved with a glowing yellow light all over in an intricate design. These orbs seemed to float about with little attention to them.

Junius Alfort

Junius watched as the man continued to stretch. He was an interesting fellow, obviously versed in some sort of martial art. He tried to think if he had seen Andros anywhere before, deciding that he hadn’t. He had seen so many faces, living and dead, in his short life that sometimes they blurred together. “I don’t oftentimes make my way up here, either. Deserts are dusty, dirty places. I hate dusty, dirty places.”

“You’re clearly a lot more competent than those hapless mercenaries who wandered into this place like it was some kind of tavern. I concur, working together would be advantageous.” He began to follow Andros deeper into the tomb. “For the record, my interest in destroying the world is currently nonexistent, as that would greatly impede me being able to do what I like, so if something appears too dangerous, we can certainly destroy it.”

Junius regarded the carvings on the walls with fascination, his interest peaked as he noted depictions of various necromantic and embalming techniques. Though he was no necromancer, he had borrowed various bits of knowledge from them to refine his own practices. After a few minutes of walking down the long hallway, they came to a room that was full of stone orbs, glowing with yellow light.

Junius held up a hand and stepped in front of Andros. “Before we continue into this room, perhaps we should assess the situation. Those orbs are creepin’ me out a bit.” He uttered a quiet incantation and the inky black smoke from earlier began to emerge from the gem around his neck. As the smoke dissipated, a small bird stood on the ground in front of Junius. At one point, it had been some form of bluebird, but after Junius had stumbled upon its corpse, it was now something else entirely.

He raised his hand and formed a claw, the invisible threads of red light erupting out of his fingers like spider silk shot at high speed. They connected to the bird, bringing it to life. With several successive movements of his fingers, the bird flapped its wings and into the room in front of them. Before Junius could react, a searing sound erupted from one of the orbs and it fired a beam of yellow light, which hit the puppet and turned it to ash instantly in a blinding in a flash of light, followed by a searing wave of heat buffeting them both in the doorway. Junius turned to Andros and smiled. “I suppose it can’t all be as easy as those creatures at the entrance. Any ideas?”

• Yay
Reactions: Andros
"A few, but it might be harder with that crew of corpses around you." Andros's eyes twinkled as he saw the lasers fire. Perhaps this wouldn't be as uneventful as he thought. He had half the thought just to run in and let his agility overcome these laser-firing orbs, but he couldn't leave his newfound companion alone, and Junius didn't seem the type to rely on physical prowess.

"I've an idea, wait here for a little." Andros breathed deeply, his eyes trained on the floating orbs that filled the room. He shot forward instantly, speed no doubt augmented by non-bodily energy. A ball fired at his location; Andros quickly reacted, sidestepping the deadly laser, repeating the rapid movement on display as each of the many orbs fired at his previous locations, the shifting of his body always seeming to be a step ahead.

In one instance, he jumped high into the air, using one of the floating orbs as a stepping stone, the lasers from the others being absorbed by it as they aimed to hit him. It looked like these orbs absorbed magical energy, so using them against them would only prove to be a disadvantage, and they looked durable enough to withstand many blows before breaking. Trying to smash everyone in the room would be a waste of stamina and leave him vulnerable.

More than enough movement was utilized to cross the room now filled with the searing traces of raw energy, and at the end of it all, Andros stood safely in the hallway that led further into another chamber. It seemed these orbs were designed to guard that specific area only as they did not enter either hallway leading.

"Maybe I should've given this a test run. I don't even know if this will work." Andros whispered to himself as he lifted a palm upwards. At the center of his palm, energy began to gather, a white light shifting into an orb that illuminated like a lantern.

"This ball is filled with life energy. These orbs track movement or life force; either way, this should work. Like....THIS!"
He shot his hand forward, the orb launching with the floating sentries quick to track and shoot it. However, Andros would raise a finger, causing it to move up, dodging the lasers as he did not too long ago. It would follow the movement of his hand, moving as it moved, dodging and weaving with precise control among the lasers.

This would be Junius's opening to run forward; he hoped that it would be enough of a distraction to keep them away from his companion.

Junius Alfort

Junius raised an eyebrow at Andros’ physical stamina. It was certainly impressive, and he never really expected to need such stamina to traverse this tomb. His idea for getting through this area would have probably been similar, except it would have involved puppets. This was much better, as the puppeteer didn’t have to waste precious puppets on getting through.

As Andros began to direct the ball of life energy, the heat beams focused on it, arcing around the room, and attempting to destroy it. Junius briefly wondered if they could have used the balls to destroy each other but that was likely much more time consuming than either of them had patience for. He waited for his opening as the remainder of the balls took notice of the life energy ball.

As a countermeasure, Junius created thread link to the other end of the room so he could pull himself out if his legs were taken out or some other unfortunate circumstance. His puppet threads were invisible to the naked eye unless revealed by magic. Spotting his opening, Junius began to sprint through the room as fast as his legs would carry him. He had faced danger many times, but this seemed like a particularly long thirty seconds.

As Junius was just arriving at the far door, he felt the air around him began to heat up as one of the orbs noticed him and sought to engage. Pushing himself harder, Junius sprinted through the door on the other side just as the air flashed with flesh melting heat in the room and a beam of energy slammed into the ground where he had been moments before.

Catching his breath, he turned to Andros and gave him a smile. “Much obliged, I would have definitely been a puddle of goo.”