The Empire One Man's Rat is another Man's Treasure.

Threads open to all members of the The Empire group

Verminn Ikhi

Scavenger Sultan
The blazing sun set on the great city of Ragash, marking the beginning of the time where the great city's less savory folk came out of their hiding spots for the day, hoping to run a scam or seduce or straight up rob anyone unlucky enough to be out and about. One such man was Verminn Ikhi, though on this very day he had no intention of creating trouble. A bandit through and through, he expertly navigated the alleyways and backstreets as he searched for something. Oddly enough, he did not seem to be looking very hard, instead simply playing a peppy tune on what seemed to be a flute. The instrument was made out of wood, which made it seem inconspicuous enough, but a closer look by a person sensitive to such things would reveal it was in fact enchanted with very powerful magics. His eyes lit up as small, furry gray creatures began to come out as well, entranced by the song's dulcet tones. Leaning down, he would happily watch as a rat nuzzled his foot, quickly losing restraint and petting it, no matter how weird the action looked.

"Hello, friend. I'm glad you decided to show yourself. On my honor, I will not hurt you and neither will anyone else." He'd finish this statement seriously, eyes switching to a more solemn look as opposed to his near sickly sweet gaze used just seconds before. As he was playing with his friend, three more rats came out and he smiled again, pleased to see that the alleyway's denizens were becoming warmer towards him. "I shall name you all, if that is well and good," He'd say with a pause afterward, ears pricking as his comment was met with tiny squeaks. "Well, then, if you're unopposed...Hmm, The one with the one blue eye is Icy. You, the one with the bent tail, are called Crook. You, who has six claws on their left foot, are named Sixer. Finally, you." He looked down warmly at the one who had started this whole interaction and grinned. "You are called Friendly, for your good deed of greeting me before anyone else." Unfortunately, he was too busy bestowing names to hear the clank of the boots belonging to the Night Guard.

Quickly, they noticed him, and Verminn startled a bit before looking at the woman who had addressed him. "YOU! Vagrancy is a crime, so you are coming with us." Her voice boomed through the alleyway, but none of the rats scattered, which made him chuckle despite the situation. "I fail to see what's so funny, sir, and I don't like my patience tried." It was an obvious threat, and so harshly stated both his rats and Verm himself bristled in shock. "I am tending to my pets, so please leave me alone," He would say, raising his flute near his mouth. Hopefully, the guard would back off. Otherwise, he would have no qualms showing her why he loved his instrument so much. The guard would only cruelly laugh in response, coming up to him and kicking Icy as hard as she could. The small rat flew into the air and skipped like a rock across the ground, yelping all the way. Verminn did not gasp or cry at this sight, only tighten up and stare at her with a look as sharp and cold as ice, or even more fitting, icy spikes.

"You don't understand what you just did, but that doesn't matter. I'll punish you for it." His voice was rageful, and so was the single, jarring note he played on his flute. "Ah, so you're going to play music at me? Is that it?" The woman guard barked, still finding the whole thing quite funny. Well, funny until the three rats left shapeshifted into three full size humans and began beating the shit out of her. Verminn watched on with a harsh expression, seeing her face get mangled and start to turn purple. He felt a little bad, but the rats now turning his enemy to mush were wild animals and he sure as hell did not want to stop them. He waited until they paused, then checked for a pulse. Nothing there, and that was because she had taken so much damage she died. One of the rat-turned-humans grabbed something from the lady's breast pocket and smashed it to the floor, breaking it into shards. He stared at them, recognizing the pieces and their make. It was the symbol of the Granite Hand. Turning the rats back to normal, he suddenly became very tired and quickly fell asleep under a nearby awning.

I can deal with it tomorrow, surely. He'd think before losing consciousness, having no idea what fate had in store for him in the morning.

Rahma (If you're interested! The lady has a broken nose and many teeth missing. It was a super brutal beating if you want to play off of that. Let's also say Verm now has granite powder on his hands from the smashing of the emblem.)

Last edited: