Fate - First Reply On the tailwinds of a storm, they came

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
Nahala stared down at her remaining scraps of food. "I see. If something happened to their nesting grounds, they may be swarming in search of a new home..." Her people knew a thing or two about that. Growing up, she had often been taught about how the original source of their magical power was actually from the ancient water dragons, which enabled them to tap into their connection to the ocean. The egends say that the first Genasi to receive these Draconic blessings were outcasts from their own home. Although they had since become a powerful kingdom, many neighboring clans disliked her people for her ancestors being on such good terms with creatures known for destruction.

Breaking her train of thought to join Noelani and Kaena in the present, she exchanged glances with each. "Do either of you know where their home was? I cannot say I've come across it before, but perhaps it would be good to make sure it's alright..." She did her best mask the concern gnawing at her stomach. The presence of the Lungs were an important part of the ocean remaining balanced. The incredibly ancient energy they possessed fueled it's lifeforce and power. If something were to happen to them....... well, Nahala did not want to explore that possibility. "I can speak in a tongue they comprehend." Even if they cannot respond. She sighed wistfully to herself. Although Primordial was understood by most ancient creatures, the majority had lost their ability to speak it. "I am willing to search."

• Bless
Reactions: Noelani
Kaena shook her head.

"It is a sacred space," Lani moved some rice around her plate but her appetite had been dented somewhat by the topic of conversation. She glanced up to her sister and gave her a sympathetic smile; the Lung's were her pride and joy. She could only imagine what she was feeling right now. "A few have followed them to the point before they dive, but then we do not follow. We haven't wanted them to feel like they do not have... their own space," not many had understood her explanation before but she hoped being of the sea, Nahala did where land-walkers had failed to.

"We can hold our breaths a lot longer than humans," Kaena continued. "But there is a limit still, and I do not think we would survive diving that deep. Or at least, nobody has tried in a long time."

Lani nodded her agreement and then tilted her head to her new found friend.

"If you ask them, I can take you to the spot we swim out to with them. Perhaps you could find it and check."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nahala Zorus
Several thoughts swirled in Nahala's mind, not unlike the terrible storm that they had all recently been subjected to. "Yes, of course..." She trailed off. Ideally, the grounds could be kept private and sacred; for the Lung's alone. But if something was wrong and they failed to intervene, there could be bigger consequences. "Unfortunately I cannot fully communicate. Lungs understand Primordial, but they cannot speak it. I may, however, be able to ask permission? I am certain they could display whether or not they are willing to cooperate."

She set her plate down, having lost her appetite for the moment. "I can breathe under the waters and have yet to discover if there is a limit to the depths I may travel." A soft smile accompanied her statement as she hoped she didn't sound too arrogant. "I do not think it would be wise for me to travel alone, however." Oceanic eyes flitted between Kaena and Noelani. It was clear that they both cared for the creatures, especially Kaena, but it also appeared that Noelani was better suited to travel and exploration. Pondering this, she pulled off the pack that had been slung around her back. From it she retrieved a small vial, filled with a luminescent aqua liquid that swirled about. Nahala held it up for their inspection.

"This is something I have been working on with some sorcerers of my kingdom." A soft blush tinged her nose and cheeks. "I had been seeking ways for a way to enable visitors and strengthen our relations with land-dwellers." She set the vial in Noelani's palm gingerly. "It mimics the ability of the water genasi to breath underwater." It would be a lie if she were to claim that she wasn't at least slightly proud of the potion. Much trial and error had gone into it's creation. "It's effects should last up to two hours; it is still in need of some improvement, but it seems it may serve a purpose under these circumstances." She leaned back, closing her pack once more. "The pressure is another concern..."

• Nervous
Nalani stared at the small vial in her palm with wide eyes that seemed to fill her face.

To breathe... underwater...

How often had she dreamed of it as a child? To swim with the Lung, the mantra, the kelpies, deep into the depths she couldn't go? She imagined it was a dream she shared with every Seawitch on this island. The water called to them in a faint way. It wasn't the strong pull the merfolk suffered but it was still a tug, a pull, a need to follow a song her heart seemed to know. It pounded in her head like a war drum now as though it sensed she was a step closer to seeing where that song came from. Slowly, her fingers curled around the vial.

"This is a very precious gift," the Princess said solemnly and when she looked at her new friend her eyes shone with unshed tears of emotion. "Thank you. I will do my best to be of help to you on this journey," Kaena let out a rush of breath and smiled at the younger women before her.

"I will take you to one of the Lung who are not injured," she was a healer after all and would not see her patients bothered. Rising from the cushions she motioned for the other two to follow her further up the shore and into the city itself. Or at least, what they classed as a city here. Nature dictated the lay of the land and the path wove in an erratic manner throwing up odd houses here and there before eventually the vegetation gave way to a large clearing. In its centre was a waterfall, atop which on the craggy cliffs the palace had been built. At the base, however, were the majority of houses and a market square. The roar of the crashing waves dulled most of the shouting of wares and haggling but it was the pool that Kaena took them too for around the edge and within the pool itself other Lungs frolicked and played.

• Bless
Warmth blossomed in Nahala's chest as her eyes met that of Noelani's. She hadn't quite expected this reaction, but it spoke volumes. She then nodded to Kaena, rising from her place and stretching briefly. The winding path the followed was so intriguing and beautiful. A host of different plants and flowers colored every space she looked, and birds rushing between the trees cut through the streams of sunlight. It was difficult not to get carried away in the new wonders that now encompassed her. Nahala looked down at her bare feet, relishing even the way the path felt underneath them compared to the sand. These new experiences offered her a feeling close to euphoria, and she breathed deeply as she continued to soak it in.

As they approached the pool, she saw the other Lungs at play. The fact that these creatures felt so comfortable in the presence of civilization spoke to their character greatly. The unease that had latched onto her heart softened slightly as she watched them, relieved that not all had suffered. "Thank you." She beamed at the sisters, gazing at them for a moment before approaching the creatures. Her movements her slow and delicate as she drew near, establishing herself near the edge of the water where a Lung had been splashing.

"ᛋᛤᚹᚹᚩ (Hello)." She offered gently. Immediately receiving the creatures attention, she bowed her head slightly in respect. Their eyes met, and silence stretched as she gazed into it's intricacies. Such intelligent creatures, and so powerful. It really was a high honor that they felt so at ease here. "ᛒᛤ ᛒᚦᛞᚫ ᚫᚩ ᛋᛤᚹᛈ ᛇᚩᚪᚳ ᚢᚱᛞᛟ (We want to help your kind.)" Nahala paused, unsure of what to ask. It would be difficult to get an answer without speaking, but she was certain that a way would be provided. Settling onto her knees so that she looked up at the Lung, she continued. "ᛒᛤ ᛒᚩᛞᛟᛤᚳᛤᛟ ᚱᚻ ᚠᚩᛉᛤᚫᛋᚱᛞᛡ ᛋᚦᛟ ᛋᚦᛈᛈᛤᛞᛤᛟ ᚫᚩ ᛇᚩᚪᚳ ᛋᚩᛉᛤ (We wondered if something had happened to your home)?" The eyes of the beast flashed in the sun, and although neither moved or spoke, Nahala knew he understood.

• Wonder
"How remarkable."

Lani glanced at her sister out the corner of her eye and then back to where Nahala stood talking to one of the Lung's. Kaena had always wanted to be able to communicate with the ancient beings who they shared their islands with and she could sense the tinge of envy beneath her eldest sister's words. Still, Noelani couldn't help the slight upwards tug of her lips and the nod of agreement.

"The sea really did give us a gift when we needed it," the younger princess murmured. The Lung Nahala was speaking to was one she recognised with red and burnt orange scales and deep brown eyes that almost looked black until you got up close. Coiling was one of the oldest serpents but one of the gentlest in her experience. He preferred the island life far more to the open sea now he was in his fourth century of existence. He appeared to be giving some kind of response to what the genasi had to say and it didn't appear to be anything good...

• Bless
Words were not needed. Nahala could feel the fear and uneasiness in those warm, ancient eyes. Claws flexed in and out; a sign of distress. She didn't understand what exactly may have happened, but it couldn't have been good. Not only that, but something to disrupt these noble beasts is not to be trifled with or taken lightly. Nodding to the Lung, she cast her gaze to the ground. "ᛒᚱᚫᛋ ᛇᚩᚪᚳ ᛈᛤᚳᛉᚱᚠᚠᚱᚩᛞ, ᛉᚦᛇ ᛒᛤ ᛡᚩ ᚹᚩᚩᚢ? ᛉᚦᛇ ᚩᛞᛤ ᚩᚻ ᛇᚩᚪ ᛡᚪᚱᛟᛤ ᚪᚠ? (With your permission, may we go look? May one of you guide us?)" This question seemed to give the Lung pause. Whatever was happening to their breeding grounds must be severe, to cause such hesitance and discomfort in these creatures.

The slightest nod was given, and Nahala took that as an agreement. She turned to Noelani and Kaena. "I do not know exactly what has happened, but it is certainly not good." Pausing for a moment, she rubbed her arms, then continued. "They seem quite distressed; I can't imagine what would have caused it." Nahala got back to her feet as the Lung turned away, seemingly back towards the shore. He seemed to be one of the older Lung; perhaps he would find a younger creature to guide them? The good news was that they had permission to go. Walking back towards the sisters, she placed a hand on each of their shoulders. "We have received permission to go and see, but no indication of what we may find." She swallowed hard to smother the growing nervousness in the pit of her stomach. "We will need to be prepared for anything."

• Bless
Noelani and her sister couldn't look more different when Nahala delivered her findings. Kaena's face was a picture of worry and concern. She seemed to be unaware of how tightly she was gripping the necklace about her throat as though the talisman could give her strength. Lani on the other hand looked determined with a wild streak of excitement. Even if there was danger to be had it didn't seem as though the youngest princess minded the thought of it. In fact, she looked eager. The latter flashed Nahala a grin and clapped her on the shoulder in return.

"That, we can do. We'll take Wind Serpent," it wasn't the largest of her ships but that made it better for a mission like this. It was small enough that she could sail it practically on her own but it would give them a place to store things they might need. She might have been excited about what was to come but she also knew that this mission was an important one and Noelani had never gone into a job unprepared before.

"Come, we'll load her. The Lung will find us when he has chosen his guide," she motioned her head back down towards the shore.

Wind Serpent was a slim, low riding boat that would comfortably fit a crew of five. It had a modest single sail and a rudder at the back used to steer. In the water amongst its larger, grander ships that were built for war and trade, the Wind Serpent didn't look like much more than a piece of wood stuck on two runners.

"I built her myself," Lani said with a proud smile and then ran a hand over her braids. "I have most things for expeditions on here but under the waves is your realm more than mine, is there anything specific you think we should take?"

• Thoughtful
"Beautiful craftsmanship." Nahala gently skimmed her eyes over the hull of the vessel. Boats truly fascinated her. It was apparent that her people never had need of them, but she enjoyed observing the efforts made by land dwellers to explore the stunning expanse of ocean. The smaller stature of the ship compared to its brethren was endearing, in a way. She smiled fondly to Noelani, pondering her question.

"The world below the waves is quite different..." She trailed off thoughtfully. "However, that potion I gave you will only last a few hours upon consumption." Nahala began to twirl her silvery hair idly in her fingers, staring out at the clear horizon before them. "I would advise bringing a weapon. Sometimes, in the depths, magic is not enough." She shuddered at the thought. Most genasi avoided the more immense depths, partially because it housed important creatures such as the Lung, but it was also home to very ancient and dangerous beings. Beings to which the very essence of magic is connected. As such, magic was less of an effective attack if they needed to protect themselves.

To emphasize her point, Nahala delicately retrieved the dagger strapped to her thigh. She had carved it herself many years ago from the bones of a large ancient creature she happened upon in her travels. It had been dead for quite some time, so it was difficult to determine what it was, but she could feel the ancient energy thrumming through the marrow. Intricate carvings decorated the blade, and Nahala enjoyed channeling magic through the grooves when she used it. She handed it to Noelani to observe.

"Combat outside of magic is no specialty of mine," She admitted sheepishly, "but it would be wise for us to be prepared for anything. We do not know what we will find."

• Thoughtful
"Hmm."

Noelani finished up the knot she was tending to and stood with her brows pulled in to a thoughtful frown. She would be lying if she said her mind hadn't been occupied by the dangers that might meet them down below, but it was one thing to think of it and another to hear a resident of those depths breathe life into her fears. Her fingers moved to the small of her back and the holster there which housed the curved blade she used for most things. As long as her forearm but double the thickness it promised to have a nasty bite to any who came close. Lani, however, eyed it as though it were nothing more than a butter knife.

"I will get us some more," she announced and put her knife away. "And some more food; I don't know how long this journey is going to take us. The Lung move at their own pace," and it often depended on their mood. If they were worried about their home they might move as quick as a stormy current or as slow as a sand snail.

"No need, sister," Kaena appeared on the docks with two tall dark men behind her bare to the waist with a multitude of tattoos in the shapes of various sea creatures. They began to lower food and weapons into the small craft. "I thought I'd come wish you good luck on your trip and bring you some thing," she smiled fondly to both girls and took each of their hands to squeeze. "Promise to take care of one another."

• Popcorn
Nahala would certainly be lying if she were to say she didn't appreciate the appearance of the bare-chested men that appeared with Kaena so suddenly. She cleared her throat, turning to Kaena and hoping that there was no navy tint to her face. "I cannot thank you enough for your kindness and assistance." She carefully brought Kaena's hand to her forehead and bowed low; a show of great respect. "I swear to do everything within my power to remedy this. Noelani will return safely."

Yes. No matter what happened in the depths awaiting them, Nahala would ensure Noelani returned. It was evident how important she was to her sister and her people; she couldn't let that be damaged. No matter what. Turning to Noelani with a smile, she rolled up her sleeves and planted her fists on her hips. "Perhaps the situation does not warrant it, but I am quite excited! It is not often I get to travel with another." Her eyes sparkled with enthusiasm, not unlike the sunlight currently warming the waves behind them.

It was then that the Lung approached from further down the shore. Several others accompanied him; perhaps they would be traveling in a pack? Nahala didn't like that idea of risking more Lung, but the strength to be found in numbers soothed her uneasy heart. "It appears our guides are ready." She waited for Noelani's call.

• Bless
Noelani returned her new-found friends glee with a grin of her own. Sure, the task ahead of them was daunting and serious but this was also an adventure into the unknown. It was hard not to get excited about it.

"Let's get going then, they'll meet us in the deeper waters," Kaena and the others had made their way off the ship at the two girls spoke and they watched now was the youngest Mchawii Princess busied herself over the deck of the ship, tying off ropes, unfurling her sails and finally moving the waves beneath their boat to get them out onto the current where the wind and surf could do the work without her interference. It wasn't long before the dockyard was dwindling behind them and they were making good time towards the large sea-wall that guarded the island from invaders.

As Lani had thought the Lungs were waiting for them beyond the gate in the deeper waters. Usually, when she had travelled with them before, they had played with one another and made the sky fill with rain clouds to keep their scales wet when they played above the waves. Today however they stuck to the sea and close to the boat.

"They look very serious," Lani commented as she knelt by the rudder to steer the boat.