Private Tales On swift wings..

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Lori's eyes widened, the words not coming quick enough to call out to him, and the only sound that fell from her lips was a horrified gasp. "Sid!" she yelled, swinging down from her saddle and drawing her blades in one fluid motion.

Her stormy eyes searched the dark water frantically and she followed in his footsteps.. "Come on, come on, come onnnn.." she beckoned the beast, and the second another tentacle, and another broke the surface of the water, Lori started slashing them through with her blades, black ichor spurting from the screeching creature.

She couldn't see Sid. The creature hadn't let him go. Lori continued to slash and stab at whatever flesh she could find, stabbing frantically at the water until another tentacle coiled itself around her waist and she braced herself for the biting cold as she allowed it to drag her under

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Reactions: Sidereal Penumbra
He hated the water. He knew all creatures of wings didn’t hate the water but he sure as hell did. Thank the book he still had his sword. He swung, his blade painfully slower in the water. Blood joined the murky surroundings as he made contact with the creature.

Wait. Not just him. Lori.

For a moment, the tentacle around him loosened. He slashed downward, hearing an enraged gurgle from the beast. The beast him him from behind and he propelled forward, bumping in a figure he knew was Lori. His free hand would lash out, gripping around her arm as he kicked upwards. Everything felt heavy and he knew his air was running out.

• Stressed
Reactions: Lorelei
The river was deceptively deep. She searched the murky water for any sign of him, and the moment she caught the glint of steel, she ran her blade through the tentacle that held her and the creature let her go. She had been reaching to grab him when he caught hold of her, and her feet kicked frantically at the water as they pulled themselves toward the surface.

Her lungs burned, screaming for air as she watched the surface grow closer and closer until they finally reunited with the air and she dragged a lungful of air back into her lungs too quickly, coughed, then breathed in deep rasps. "Are you.." she coughed, moving toward the bank as quickly as she could. "Alright?..."

• Bless
There were black spots spreading along his vision. And even as he broke the surface with her, he found himself barely able to tread water. A deep breath rattled through his lungs and as his feet found the shallow water on the opposite bank, he found he hadn't released her arm. His sword nearly dragged in the water. Footsteps wavering on the rocky bank. His large form leaned against her smaller one.

Until he lowered himself on the bank and sat hard. Wings expanding to try and dry out. A wary eye still on the river.

“Fine,” he rasped. Head turned quickly to her. Those golden-hazel eyes of his studying her form, worry shifting in their depths. As well as a growing intensity and something…raw. “Are you?”

• Cthuloo
Her blonde hair stuck to her face, water rushing from her skin and clothes as she sat beside him, her mouth open to let as much air flood into her lungs as she could. She looked him over, taking note of his eyes and the worry they held and she couldn't help but grin and laugh at him as she flopped back into the grass.

Once she'd started laughing it was difficult to stop, some hysterical trigger that came with surviving near death. She pushed her hair back from her face and took a few deep, savouring breaths. "I'm fine." she answered.

"You're welcome, by the way." she smirked and let out a huff as she blinked up at the canopy above.

"Maybe we should have flown.." she mused.

• Smug
His hand dragged through his wait hair as he stared at her. A bit dumbfounded. But it was hard for that smile and laughter of hers not to transform his face into something lighter. A boyish grin briefly lit his face. A shake of his head and a quiet huff.

"I would've been fine on my own," he growled without the bite. And stood. Wings still stretched and shaking that water off of them.

"And NOW she agrees to fly with me," with one more shake of his wings, he brings them back in tight to his back and offers Lori a hand to tug her back to her feet. "Feeling good enough to help set up camp, are we?" The boyish grin widened to a full-on smirk.

• Smug
"Ohohoo really?!" Lori chuckled, watching him as he got up and shielding her face from the water shaken from his wings. "Then forgive me, General, for being so chivalrous. I'll endeavour to let you handle any predicaments on your own from now on" she snorted and instantly bit down on her lip, remembering who she was with, and she cleared her throat as she sat herself up, combing back her wet hair and wringing it out onto the grass.

Her lips twisted in a small smirk up at him as he held his hand out, her shoulders shrugging. The thought of being carried still send an unpleasant shudder rolling across her spine. She glanced over his wings at the thought, and offered a wry smile as he mentioned camping and smirked at her like that.

"Of course. I'm yours to command." she dipped her chin, her hands splayed by her sides as she bowed theatrically. She suddenly realised how cold she was, the water had been icy and now the cool air was biting at her skin. Her wings shuddered and she lifted her pack, glancing down at the glassy surface of the water, now deceivingly calm..

"Perhaps we shouldn't camp so close to the river." she laughed under her breath and turned on her heels to find a suitable clearing nearby, hugging her arms around her ribs.

“Definitely not by the river,” he rumbled behind her. Tugging both horses by the reigns.

A throaty laughter left his chest. “I doubt anyone could truly command you, Lori.”

He lead them carefully through the trees until they began to thin out into a small clearing with some large boulders strewn between. This place seemed like it would do. Turning, he began working on the horses, making sure they had enough room to graze. Moving his shoulders, he finally let his soaked pack fall to the ground. A small frown as he noticed her shivering.

“We’ll need a fire for tonight.”

• Smug
There was something about the way he said her name that made chills tremor along her bones, and she looked over her shoulder at him with a light smirk. "I hope you're not suggesting that I'm some sort of rebel. I am a loyal servant at the service of my Captain and King." she said in the most sweetly practised way possible as she took out her blade and hacked at some briar.

She set her pack down in the roots of an ancient oak and shrugged out of her wet jacket which she hung over a low hanging bough to dry it off. The air was cool and stuck to her skin, and she hugged her arms again, turning to him as he mentioned fire.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?.." she asked cautiously. She rarely lit fires unless there was a large enough camp of soldiers to ward off dangers. Her wings shuddered and tucked in tight as her eyes lingered on him a little longer than she'd meant to. He was ridiculously handsome, and now she was flushing and clearing her throat, her gaze falling to the floor as she realised she'd questioned him.

"I mean. As you command, General." she nodded, and quickly set about picking up fallen branches.

• Smug
"The alternative," he said to her back, deadly serious as he began digging out the wet things and hanging them around their 'camp.' "Would be for us both to strip down and share a bedroll." There was no smirk on his face. Perhaps a teeny-tiny twinkle in his eyes. But only because he didn't think she'd go for that over a fire.

"No sense in losing you to hypothermia now. It'd be a waste and my healers would never forgive me." He turned and took off the upper half of his leathers. Muscled-chest glistening from the lingering river water. He carefully hung them up.

• Sip
Reactions: Syuri
She could feel how furiously her cheeks blushed and she made sure to paused and flash him an 'unamused' look over her shoulder. "Not a chance." she muttered and shook her head, her eyes rolling... Males.

Her arms were quickly laden with branches and logs and she turned back in time to see him in the middle of stripping off his shirt. Gods. She stumbled slightly and dropped the load of firewood, cursing under her breath and rubbing at her forehead, unable to drag her eyes from the art of muscle so perfectly honed into one torso.

"Here okay?"... Lori gestured to the pile of wood, as though it had been entirely intended that they build the fire right here. She was already turning away from him before giving him a chance to answer, plucking handfuls of dried grass for kindling as she shamefully cursed herself.

• Smug
Oh he noticed.

And he felt...something from her.

And for a moment, he shared a secret smirk with himself until he turned around to look at her. "That'll do," he rumbled. The problem was a big part of him felt like a schoolboy, navigating uncharted territory. Hells. No other female made him feel like this. It was a good thing his brothers would never find out or they'd tease him endlessly. He stepped toward her and knelt next to her, going for the wood and began stacking it to get the best flow for a flame.

"We shouldn't have to worry about predators tonight," he said as he worked. "There's magic I can use to ward us." He was trying to be reassuring. Since she seemed to be all flustered.

• Bless
Reactions: Syuri
She had been about to start building but as he knelt in front of her she caught the scent of him and took a couple of steps back to lean against the tree to watch him, hugging her arms to stop from fidgeting.

"Oh.." she answered quietly awkwardly. "Of course.." she nodded and dropped her gaze to her feet. Lori had no magical talent, nor could she fly. It was what made her work twice as hard as most males she knew, what gave her the drive to prove that she could be just as good if not better, but it didn't mean she didn't feel useless at times. It was the worst thing she could possibly feel.

She slid into the roots of the tree, her arms pulling her knees close into her chest as she watched him silently..

• Orc
Dark hair shifted across his olive-brow as the orange glow of the fire finally caught, bringing immediate warmth to the area. He stood slowly, a low sigh leaving his lips as his gaze tracked to where Lori sat among the roots of the tree.

Sid was usually so good at reading females. But this one? Nine-hells she was challenging.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Lorelei," his voice rumbled. Choosing to use her formal name. Battle-worn hands pushed the hair from his face as he shifted and stepped away from the fire to give her more space. More access to the warmth. And so he could begin to release the magic to protect their area for the night.

Fuk it was cold.

• Cthuulove
"I know." she answered too quickly and cleared her throat, a light frown on her brow as he'd now reverted to using her name with more formality than he had before.. "Not like I can't look after myself if you tried." her shoulder shrugged with a small smirk. Lori didn't trust males, that much was more than clear, but she didn't fear him.

Reminding herself of that she shuffled closer to the fire, rubbing her hands in front of it and rubbing them over her skin and through her hair, trying her best to stop shivering. Her gaze tracked him as he moved, watching him use whatever magic he had to keep them safe. She swallowed down the bitter jealousy she felt and dragged her attention back to the flames.

• Cthuulove
"I've no doubt," he huffed as he finished his slow circle around their camp, including the horses. The shadows where he walked would darken and increase for a moment. The blades of grass withered just slightly and his eyes would glow a bright amber.

When he'd found her, she'd held her own against nearly an army of nagai.

Her skill was a testament to why she was still alive.

"There," he breathed and came up to the opposite side of the fire. The glow in his eyes from the magic faded. A frown tugged on his lips at her shivering. Clearing a spot on the ground, he sat and extended his wings in a partial circle around the fire, so the heat would be reflected off them and back to her instead of escaping into the night.

He hoped it would at least, help.

While still giving her the space she needed.

"Did you grow up with other siblings?" He finally asked, curiosity getting the better of him. He wouldn't be surprised if she came from a family of many brothers. But he had no idea.

• Popcorn
Lori's eyes closed as she felt the heat refracted from his wings and she smiled. Her own wings opened a little, and she hugged her knees and sighed, soaking in the warmth.

"Better.." she mumbled.

His question was met with a nod. "Four brothers." he'd guessed correctly and she smirked as though it might've been obvious. "I haven't seen them in quite some time." she added.

"What about you?"

"Probably not what you're thinking of," he rubbed the back of his neck. A brief, boyish grin flashed in the light of the fire. "None blood related. But I think you know about the two I consider brothers. Lorcy-," he cleared his throat. "Prince Lorcan and Raphael."

She'd mentioned she'd seen them together, when they came that night to question Captain Misha.

Had she seen them spar each other? Seen the boyish, competitive side slip between them among the serious business they came to handle? "We grew up together in the war camps. Long ago. All outcasts in our own way."

Bastards.

"We hated each other when we first met." A fond smile that was briefer than the boyish grin. "At least that first day in camp. But we quickly learned that sticking together would mean survival." A shrug rippled along the muscles of his shoulders. They'd been skinny and scrappy whelps. Still powerful in different ways. But still whelps.

• Cthuulove
"Ah, that's right.." she frowned as she listened to the fondness in which he spoke of his 'brothers'. Males that she and anyone she'd ever met would have been stupid not to be terrified of. She cleared her throat.

"It's easy to forget that you're one of them." she commented quietly. "I'll try not to." she forced a smile. He hadn't been what she'd expected. Misha was awful enough, and she knew stories of the prince, had witnessed the way in which he 'dealt' with 'business', and then there was the Erlking. The higher up the chain of command seemed only to get worse, and she had to remind herself that Sid was the General. The Prince and the King's inquisitor were his closest friends.

"I can't say I particularly look forward to the visits you three pay to the camp.." she glanced at him, her fingers fidgeting.

• Nervous
He frowned.

His palm came up, running over one of the scars that dotted his exposed chest. His skin no longer glistened with the cold waters of the river. His wings felt a lot dryer. And the lower half of his leathers were getting there.

"Forget that I'm one of them?" The hand from his chest lifted to scratch absently at the stubble growing at his jawline. He could assume what she meant by that but he wanted her to clarify. And how much could he say about his brothers? He wanted to protect them. And somehow, for better or worse, he felt deep in his gut that he could trust the female before him.

And that might've scared him the most.

"I can tell you," he drew out slowly, the glow of the fire bringing out the gold in his eyes. "That they do not look forward to those visits, either."

• Thoughtful
Lori's lashes narrowed slightly as she watched him. Was he trying to convince her that the three brothers were not as terrible as they appeared? "It certainly doesn't seem that way to me.." she commented. "Your prince seems to enjoy lopping heads off. And don't think I don't see that your sparring sessions are meant to send a message."

They'd never picked on Lori personally, but she'd always felt that thick blanket of fear that fell over the camp whenever they visited... "Can't say it isn't effective though.." she shrugged. Everything did seem to calm down a little in the days and sometimes weeks after they'd come. Soldiers fell in line.

"But yes. You don't seem very frightening to me.. And I try to keep reminding myself of who you are. Is it a trick? If so I would likely prefer it if you just treated me like the rest of them do."

• Smug
"They are meant to send a message," he rumbled and drew his wings back, tucking them where they usually rested, nestled against his muscled-back. And he knew she knew that. He wished he could tell her how Lorcan was different. But he realized even if he did, it wasn't his information to share. And even if he did, she likely wouldn't believe him unless she saw.

Perhaps one day he could bring her...

His hand fell at his side. "Hells, you don't make it easy, do you? Not that I blame you. I was a bastard born in one of the army-camps. Do you know how they treated me? Worse than shit. And my mother? Worse than that." Anger crackled in his gaze and his hands balled into fists, resting on his thighs.

"Which gives me maybe just an idea of how they have treated you."

It made him angry. Dangerously so. And there was only so much he could do. Showing her favor wouldn't do anything for her in the army in the long run. Likely it would do the opposite and paint a target on her back.

A shudder went through his wings as he forced himself to relax.

"I'll take the first watch," he ground out. "Get some rest." His tone an order and not to be questioned.

• Smug
Make it easy, make what easy? Lori was used to living with her guard up, because around every corner was a male or 'higher' fae of some sort who'd seek to harm her in some way. Not only was she a Puca, she was a female Puca, and a female Puca who chose to bear arms instead of letting anyone tell her what she could and could not do. And here was a male in high rank who wasn't being a complete prick - of course she had reason to keep her guard up.

Her head tilted at him as he mentioned his mother, though. Maybe he did understand. She could see the anger in him, and she chewed on the inside of her cheek, making a mental note to at least try not to piss him off too much.

A protest had been on the very tip of her tongue, though she bit it back and swallowed with a quiet huff. "Fine.." she murmured, shifting a little closer to the fire to lay down and curl up, her wings tucked in at her back. She watched him for a moment, though it wasn't long before she realised how tired she was. Her eyes drifted, and she fought the urge to let them close for as long as she could before the warmth and crackle of the fire lulled her to sleep.

• Smug
He didn't sleep. He took care of the horses, trying to keep himself distracted from letting his gaze linger on her prone form. That tug he felt toward her was like a growing itch he couldn't scratch.

Damn it all, he wished Raph or Lorcan were here, just to spar with to let off some of this tension.

Nor did he wake her.

He was fine going on less sleep for a little bit. And even if he switched with her, he doubted he'd be able to sleep. Considering her injuries were probably still healing, he gave her the night. Knowing no doubt, that he'd be yelled at about it when she woke up. Light began creeping through the dark wood. His wards around them dropped as he began to saddle the horses. They'd have to eat on the way.

• Cthulhoo rage
Lori's sleep was as fitful as ever. She could never get comfortable and her mind was always active. If she was on edge when she was awake, she was even more so in sleep.

It was the light that woke her though, and her brow furrowed as she squinted at it, blinking the sleep from her eyes as she forced herself up onto her elbow. "You didn't wake me." she observed, her voice still gritty. She turned to look up at him.

"Why didn't you wake me?" she demanded, rubbing at her face and pulling herself to her feet, her wings fluttering slightly to shake off a few leaves.

• Smug