Private Tales Old Reunions

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Good, in his own opinion there was nothing as relaxing as getting a chance to really stretch the brain by performing some crafting. The trick was crafting something that actually challenged you, otherwise it was not realizing but boring. The runesabers would be more than enough for Sam, especially since she would have to produce multiple.

"I'm staying at this small inn near the wall, Rhadin's Oasis."

It was a nice enough place to stay. Alistair for all of his new-found wealth and desire to show off from time to time, was still prone to paying for cheap sleeping accommodations and food. One could not entirely remove a lifetime of being careful with their coin. After all, what was the point of paying for a nice place to sleep when he would be asleep? He would much rather spend his money on projects...and nice clothes.

"How long do you think it will take for them to let me know if the project was approved?"

Samantha Black

"No idea," the admittance came quickly, "I don't have too much involvement with the General aside from his direct orders or mission inquiries... even those are usually handled through Captain Holstag instead of directly."

While she liked what she knew of General Blackforge thus far, she couldn't claim to know the man. Not really. What made him tick and what great many things he had on his own plate she could hardly imagine.

"I might wager that a project like this won't land in his top priorities, though. Could take some time. You might be here long enough for the wedding."

Not of a high priority? Well, excuse Alistair for attempting to advance Vel Anirian weaponry by leaps and bounds that haven't been seen, for the common soldier, since the creation of steel weaponry. Ok, even Al recognized that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it should still be worth the military's time.

Alistair performed a perfectly executed double take, "Wait, a wedding? Whose getting married?"

The first thought was Sam, but it could also just be nearly any soldier or civilian in the town. Even so, he would need to find a good gift. He might have to conscript something from his trading supplies.

Samantha Black

• Smug
Reactions: Samantha Black
"One of the Knights in my squadron," Sam looked aside at him and his own side-eye, snorting derisively, "the Knights do have lives outside of their duties, as hard as that may be to believe."

He wasn't the first person to look aghast at the idea that an Anirian Knight might be married, have a family, or even hobbies outside of their honored mission of protecting Vel Anir. She'd even met people who believed the Knights were celibate and wholly devout to their work. HAH!

They were warriors, not priests.

"You should come to it, meet my team. They're good people," she nudged him with her elbow and grinned with a playful wink, "you can be my date."

"I know that." Alistair quipped back offended as a small smile slipped onto his face. "I was just praying I had not missed a memo on marriage I was supposed to know about...Though, I should not have been worried. If you or Davi got married then I would not be here as the world would be ending." He quipped playfully.

"And sure, I'll be your date. Give you a chance to impress people."

If it had been someone he knew, then Al would have felt obligated to bring a gift that felt more personal and invested in. Since he did not know the knight, yet, then that meant he could just bring some of the really good booze he had brought or something, or maybe a horse."

"I'm sure your team is great people, you wouldn't accept anything less."

In fact, for a time before his injuries, Alistair had strongly considered joining the military full-time and running away from responsibilities. He figured Sam would have taken him into her squad. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. His skill set was better used on the fringes of the military, and his current unique vision made it difficult to fight on the front lines for extended periods of time.

Samantha Black

"Good. I'll hold you to it."

Sam gave a low chuckle in response to his comment on her or Davi getting married. She supposed that was fair considering their lifestyles and personalities.

"If I were to ever get married you would be one of the first people to know," he was, after all, one of the few she maintained contact with - though that list was slowly growing as her own notoriety among the Knights did, "but don't count on it ever happening. I have no purpose being wed when I cannot produce heirs."

Alistair chuckled at his own choke and just out of genuine happiness at Sam's comments. He had plenty of acquaintances throughout the Dreadlords, but he kept the number of true friends relatively small. Sam was certainly near the top of that list.

The last sentence while completely in line with what he knew of Sam was also probably for the best as a dark idea crossed his mind. Sam was Walter's daughter, and even if she wanted nothing to do with it, would Garron come seeking her to close loose ends? He was not worried about Sam in a fight, but Garron had a select group of assassins that he kept with him.

"Sam have you noticed anything recently that is weird, like someone paying more attention to you, followers, or just strange happenings."

Hopefully, Al could just lay this to rest as Sam was not someone that Garron could just wipe off the board even if he wanted to.

Samantha Black

• Thoughtful
That earned him a different sort of side-eye. Sam furrowed her brow at the queerness of the question.

"No," she replied, "why?"

The paper trail of Samantha Black leading back to Ralene Banick was scant at best and maintained only by those with clearance. Not that it was impossible to track her down with the right contacts, but for all intents and purposes Ralene Banick had been noted as KIA during the bloody graduation. That had been her only request once granted leave of the Academy.

"Ok, good. Just making sure of some things. You're...old family has been going through a rather hectic time ever since your uncle took power. I didn't want you getting pulled in for no reason." Alistair explained.

He should have known that to be the answer, but Garron had a way of surprising him. He was well-funded and had intelligence to him, but it was more the intelligence of a bureaucrat than any sort of military personnel. The man likely did not even pay attention to most military happenings. However, he was also just crazy enough that if he did find out about Sam then he might try something really stupid.

"The man thinks he is untouchable without your father around."

It wasn't just her father. Her grandfather was dead, he other uncle was banished from Vel Anir and other members of the family that did not immediately succumb to Garron's leadership were finding quick misfortune.

Samantha Black

• Cthulhoo rage
If it were even physically possible, her brow furrowed even deeper. What Al spoke of was not anything that had been on her radar for years. The man that had proclaimed himself to be her father had not deigned to show up until the year before graduation. Up until then, she'd already had it in her mind that she had no father. No family.

The name Banick meant nothing to her long before she officially extricated herself from it on paper.

With a short and pointed glance around, Sam quickly grabbed Al by the upper arm and steered him off the main walkway to a narrower side alley, "What do you mean?" she hissed, checking that no one was within earshot, "Without him around..." dropped her voice even quieter, "are you telling me that Walter Banick is dead?"

Alistair wasn't even sure what was going on before he was yanked off to a side street. He looked to Sam in confusion thinking she was made about him bringing this up. He began to speak, but his mouth froze with uncompleted words on his lips as Sam finished her questions.

Oh no, she didn't know. He was an asshole, but he thought she would have some knowledge of this.

His stomach dropped as he suddenly realized he had let months, nearly a year gone by and had not even informed Sam that her father was dead.

Al's mouth began to move slowly, but no words were forming as he struggled to figure out the right things to say. Finally, he forced out whatever came to mind.

"Sam, I'm so sorry. I thought you knew...Walter died in a battle with Garron to decided the heir to House Banick...He was killed by one of Garron's Dreadlords."

A look of shame passed his face as he remembered those moments, how Alistair had been to far away to stop the sudden ambush in the chaos of the battle. The look on Walter's face as he died, and the immediate defeat that followed.

Samantha Black

• Cthulhoo rage
The frown that settled onto her face was one of deeply mixed emotions, none of which were sadness or regret. If nothing else, it was disgust. Not with Alistair, but with the situation.

Part of her had wanted to have one final meeting with Walter that ended with him bleeding from the face and her walking off with her new name and life. Petty and immature, she knew, but she had not been able to help the desire to spit on the man who thought she owed him anything. He likely wouldn't have cared.

Sam stepped back from Al, her dark stare giving him one last look before she reached for him again and gently but firmly fixed his clothes from where her fists had rumpled them.

"Good riddance," was all she managed to say.

Garron could have his throne, it made no difference to her.

"Ralene Banick is dead, none of this means anything to me."

She turned then and stepped back out onto the street. Where were they going again? She couldn't remember.

The emotions that crossed Sam's face were not easy for Al to discern with his blind vision, but he could see her aura fluctuating, which was usually a sign of some form of emotions. The words that followed were surprising for some reason he had expected anger or maybe even sadness at the harsh news he had to reveal. However, he quickly realized he should not have worried, Sam's view of Walter was much like Al's view of his own dad. Would he cry over such a death? He knew the answer was no.

Alistair was quick to settle in next to her side, silent for a moment before offering a slight reprieve.

"Yes, Sam Black is cooler anyways."

They continued on, neither of them exactly sure where to go now, for several yards before Alistair did bring it up once more, hoping it was the last bit of this information.

"Just let me know if you notice anything. I doubt Garron will be able to find you, but if he does then he may try some stupid stuff...There is nothing the man won't do...He was the one who kidnapped Kristen."

He winced at her name, Alistair was just bringing up all the sore subjects today.

Samantha Black

The mention of Kristen garnered him an odd look but she didn't spend much time on it.

"He would be a fool to go after a Knight," let alone her specifically - Sam had plenty of confidence but she wasn't a braggart. Aside from the high difficulty in taking her down, he'd face quite a hefty backlash were he found out trying to kill any loyal warrior of the Anirian militia.

"Besides," she began again after a time, "he has no reason to come after me. I gave up any claim to that House when I dropped its name."

But there would always be those that believed in blood over a name. Was Garron one of them? Who knew.

"Come on, I'll show you my new home."

Alistair had those very worries, that Garron would try and completely wipe the slate clean even if Sam wanted nothing to do with her. Plus, there was a part of Alistair that just wanted another reason to try and kill him. Yet, he knew Sam was right. Garron would never get past her squad much less Sam herself.

Of course, he was not going to voice any of these thoughts.

He nodded along and followed after her to Sam's home. While Alistair would not say it out loud, he was expecting Sam's house to just be a box with a bed and a chest for storage. She was never the one for extravaganza; for some reason, her definition of that was very broad.

"Wait, isn't that just barracks?" he joked.

Samantha Black

• Huh
The note of humor was a surprisingly good emotional palate cleanser. It even garnered a smirk on her face and a soft snicker.

"No," she chuckled, "you think they stick us honored Anirian Knights in barracks?" A sigh and a shake of her head followed. Al was deeply unfamiliar with the military and it was showing. "Barracks are for recruits and trainees."

"The Knights are housed in Halls, sort of like small manors... eight Knights to a Hall. Married Knights get their own home for their family. Though nothing like the luxury I'm sure you live in now, Lord Krixus."

Last edited:
Oh, no he had not known that. A small blush followed at his unfamiliarity with the frontline military. This was somehow more embarrassing than any sort of friendly flirting or the like.

What she was saying was partially true, the small manor in Vel Anir was only slightly repaired, but he had recently poured money into the Krixus estate a new crop of land near the outskirts of Vel Acan that he has moved much of the extended family to.

"Fair, I'll try to withhold my lofty judgment from your decrepit manor." he shot back sarcastically.

Although, he would admit that a hall sounded pretty cool, reminding him of the old stories he would read as a child that spoke of independent knightly orders and great heroes. He supposed that in a way, Sam and her squad were not so far off from those stories.

Samantha Black

Snort.

Sam's smirk remained, the humor between them bringing a lightness to her mood that had begun to come more easily over the last year. Being away from the Academy, finding her purpose and place in the war machine of Vel Anir, and now permanently living among her chosen family had slowly warmed the colder aspects of her personality. It was nice, being able to live so freely now.

She was certain even Davi and Elias felt the same. Without the need to be constantly wary of the others around them, or having to hide emotions or save face for Proctors... all of them were finally capable of simply being themselves. Even if Davi was still trying to figure out who that was and Elias was still coming to terms with the idea of living for more than just himself. It had been good for all of them.

Eventually the cobble and stone path lead them away from shops and merchants, into residential boulevards lined by stone buildings. Vel Castere pulled the majority of its stone from local mountains that stood over the river upon which it sat, giving it a palette of grays, reds, and blues in granite.

A short journey along the main road with passerby on foot, horseback, wagon, and carriage, brought them to a series of small bridges criss-crossing over a spring creek that cut through the district.

"There it is," Sam said as she lead him across one of those bridges and stopped at a set of stone steps, "Dragonsbane Hall." It was no larger or more ornate than any of the other halls in residence around them, but she could not help the sense of pride for her home.

It's lines were crisp and its mortar still starkly white against the grey stone of the walls.

proxy.php

The longer Alistair stayed in Vel Castere, the more he started to like the place. For starters, the stone used by the city gave the place a lovely hue that starkly contrasted against the desert and more arid climates to the west. A neutral bastion against the red environment, like a piece of metal refusing to melt in a forge.

He could sense when they were nearing the final destination, and Alistair spent some energy to activate his runic eyes so he could get a real look at Sam's home.

What greeted him made him smile, his hand reached out to feel the stone from the stairs leading up to the Hall. It all fit Sam perfectly, the gray stone building was tall and grand for its size, but still strong enough that if it came down to it could still be used for a defensible position. It was clearly the home of warriors.

"Nice place, good name, but maybe a bit on the nose." He added the last bit with a light laugh.

It almost made him want to laugh even more when he thought of the bit of land he had bought near Vel Acan for the rest of their family to build an estate. He had a little bit of a say, but his mother, uncles, and aunts were largely controlling the construction.

That place was almost the opposite of this place, but for frills and aesthetics, it had very little operational use.

"Eight people for this place? That's not bad at all."

Samantha Black