Poll Of Reading Threads and Reactions

What do you think of people reacting to a thread of yours that they are only reading, not RP'ing in?

• I like it

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option C: nuance

• This is much ado about nothing, smiley face

• Total voters

VigiloConfido

Character Biography
Link
I'm probably like most people: if I pop in to read someone else's thread—even if I like it—I generally don't leave reactions.

But then I thought about it. Why? Why is this the case for myself and, I suspect, many others who dutifully react to posts from their fellow writers within threads they are actively participating in? Obvious answer number one is if said person doesn't use reacts very often in either case, whether they're in a thread or not—fair enough there, right?

Mostly, I'm curious as to whether or not people have this impression that leaving a reaction in a thread you're not a part of is, in some way, bad etiquette or bad form, and therefore don't do it even if they make comments about the thread on Discord or elsewhere. That would explain a lot, right? For myself, I have in the past had goofy thoughts along the lines of: "Oh noooo~, but if I leave a reaction, they'll know I'm snoooooooo~ping!" And yet, with even the most perfunctory moments of reflection, this is silly. Are there people who might think I'm snooping if I were to—from their perspective—leave a random assortment of reactions to one of their Private Tales threads? Maybe. But I feel that it's more the case that we writers like when, you know, someone is reading what we have written and, even better yet, talking about it. Hey you, reading this now, doesn't it make your day when someone, anyone, either through a reaction or direct commentary, says they read what you wrote and liked it? What force could possibly be more encouraging to a writer's creative fire?

So here I am, VigiloConfido, asking the Chronicles Board a question that perhaps you, too, may have in some fleeting moment wondered about. I'm just curious if that aforementioned impression is somehow pervasive, or if this all really comes down to something as simple as never really thinking to make a habit of "liking" something you like, even though you aren't participating in the thread.

• Dab
Reactions: Skad
I send my reactions to strangers telepathically, and on a good day with a south-easterly wind, I might give one on the forum.

But on topic, I don't think there's anything wrong with recognising writing you've enjoyed, even from a stranger. Although it might make some feel self-conscious.

• Yay
Reactions: VigiloConfido
I will sometimes react to a thread I am not in, but often when I feel like I am “close” with the writer it’ll come about more naturally. I don’t want to scare people off or make them nervous because I lurk a lot and it might feel invasive? Even if all the reacts are seen as “positive” it might be considered too much.

Also reacts can help as placeholders in a really long thread so you know where you left off.

• Yay
I honestly never would have thoroughly considered the possibility of making someone feel self-conscious, nervous, or that an unexpected reaction might feel invasive. It seems odd that those are even options on table, so to speak XD. Personally, I'm either pleasantly surprised on the one end and thrilled on the other whenever I see someone having a peek at my work. Because that's one of the reasons why I put it out there. To be read.

I wonder if the different tags might at all make any difference: the obvious difference between a Private Tales and an Open Chronicles, say.

I also wonder if anyone's ever had a serendipitous RP, or even friendship, come about because they liked/reacted to someone else's writing. See the course of it in your mind's eye: Writer A reacts to a thread of Writer B's, Writer B says "Hey, thanks for reacts, I see that you're reading my stuff", Writer A says "Yeah, I like your style and your character, want to thread sometime?", and then it goes from there.

And, so far, all five votes on the poll have been for "I Like It", so at present it seems like these impressions of possible negativity could well be unfounded. It's a good conversation and topic thus far though.

I do come armed with a unique perspective of not being in the Discord. Liking a stranger's post, especially when you're not familiar with who people are, feels like this brave new step into interacting with strangers.

You don't want to come off too strong in case you're perceived as a creepy weirdo.

But since, so far, it's majority appreciative, I can see it's not a problem!

• Yay
Speaking strictly from a member's point of view, the threads are all public. If ya'll don't want others to read what you're writing, move it to gdocs.

If I read it and feel especially moved in any way, I will react. Your thread is open to public reaction. I'll probably remark on it at some point in a chat as well.

To add: I've always loved getting feedback from others not involved in my threads via reacts or just general talk in chat. Silence lurks on everything and I know of several other members who do so similarly. I enjoy hearing their reactions and honestly wish they would react to posts in my threads more because it opens more opportunity to talk about the story.

• Yay
I have absolutely 0 issues with someone else reading and reacting to my posts if they aren't actively in the thread with me. I personally don't tend to read a lot of stuff I'm not involved with, but I also have the same stance as Velaeri concerning posts and threads on here. It is a public forum so if you want privacy then take it somewhere private. I actively put out my character's mental and emotional dialogue as is so be weird if I have an issue with someone reading it and reacting. If anything a react is a major compliment showing how much you have brought out emotion in another.

• Yay
Me personally I love it when people react to my work because for one it shows they cared enough to read it and let me know how they felt about it and two because I love to hear what other people think of my writing. Definitely agree with the whole everything is public here thing, that's part of why I came here.

also I lurk too like silence lol but I need to get better about reacting to the things I like when I read

:)

• Yay