Private Tales New Doors

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Amos

The Afflicted
Character Biography
Link
Vel Zaphris - Kaeden & Amos' Workshop

Today was an exciting day, or perhaps a day that would hold untold disappointment.

Amos wasn't entirely sure which it would be, but he truly hoped that it was the former rather than the latter. For weeks now he had struggled with a problem that seemed not to have a solution. Though his and Kaeden's great project was making successful stride after stride, they had hit a wall when it came to the forging of what Amos called the Engine.

They had attempted it thrice now, and each time the metallurgy had failed. Through an almost endless amount of mathematics, still scrawled on blackboards throughout the workshop, they had worked out the exact dimensions they needed for the engines. The parts had to be put together to such exacting standards that it had proven exceptionally difficult to find a forge capable enough of creating such a thing.

Even the dwarven smiths had come up flummoxed.

Amos had nearly lost hope when a friend of a friend had whispered to him about the Blackguard.

It had been an idle conversation in the University cafeteria. The group had been talking about their own projects, and one had been working for the Anirian Guards unique anti-magic regiment. Amos had no interest in the project, but when his acquaintance had mentioned off-hand the Blackguards new metal controlling Dreadlord his interest had been piqued.

He'd interjected almost immediately, asking questions and demanding a name. After that he'd reached out to his patron Jiya Luana, and through her managed to pull enough strings to set a meeting with Noel Schwarz. An accomplishment that he hoped would be fruitful.

If this did not work, he wasn't entirely sure the project would at all.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Noel
Noel had asked about the visit's purpose enough times to be annoying. Specifically, she'd inquired if whatever this meet and greet was would benefit the war effort.

Ephraim had sat her down after she pried one too many times and explained to her that sometimes the nobility made requests that the Guard refused. Sometimes, however, these requests cost the Anirian Guard so little that they extended an olive branch by just complying. This was one of those times.

And so, Noel would be forced to waste at least an afternoon (and possibly a few days, dear god) speaking with some Luana whelp. But, Ephraim had been right, this was a small gesture to keep whichever noble had requested it placated and Noel had been in the wrong to even question the order.

That didn't stop her from coming fully dressed in platinum armor from toe-to-shoulder.

Now, in Vel Zaphris, she made her way towards the address she was given until she stood outside of a workshop. She took in a deep breath standing upon the stoop of her destination, quietly cursing herself once again for not fighting this 'mission' harder.

An exhaling sigh as she knocked at the door of the place. "Let's get this over with," she muttered to herself.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Henk
Amos jumped up from his chair, though immediately had to catch himself on the workbench. His head spinning slightly as a cough racked his throat, his affliction spiking down any excitement he might have shown.

A breath filled his lungs after the fit passed, his head shaking as he muttered to himself. "Not today."

He said, as if it might somehow stop the disease ravaging his body from taking yet another thing from him. His legs wobbled slightly as he set off towards the entrance, grabbing the massive handle and pulling it down. The massive door opened with a surprising ease, shifting on a mechanism designed by Kaeden. It pulled open, revealing to Noel both Amos as the workshop behind him.

The sight was a chaotic one. Metal of all different sorts of make-up filled nearly every space, bent and shifted in different forms. Some recognizable as strange huge hammers that the lankey little scientist would never be able to lift, while others seemed to be massive blocks of steel with strange moving parts settled in the middle. Dozens of different instruments, test tubes, and crystals seemed to be littered everywhere. Though a particular set of the latter was tightly locked within what appeared to be a glass vault.

"Welcome! Welcome!" Amos said as he beckoned Noel in, clinging to the door almost like a crutch. His excitement perhaps being a bit too much. "Please come in."

He said with a wave. "I am Amos Savren, though you may just call me Amos if you please. I'm thrilled to have you here Dreadlord Schwarz, I thought we might not have the opportunity."

Amos Savren was far too enthusiastic, combined with the backdrop of the workshop in the background he almost seemed chaotic.

Noel stepped inside as he bade her to, listening carefully to each syllable as she sized him up, and almost immediately she was struggling to understand the purpose of this venture. Amos was weak. Noel wouldn't even need her magic to crush him. Actually, she could tell already that even if she was unarmed she'd have no troubles subduing him and cracking his skull.

"I'm glad we had this opportunity," the lie was filled with honey.

She'd do her duty, as she always did. "I'm afraid the details were a bit scant. What exactly is this opportunity? And why did it require me?"

Her second statement held more vinegar than her first. It was pointed, direct, because the sooner the two of them got started the sooner she could return to following up on leads of where her classmates had gone. Where Gilram had gone. None of this was going to help her or Vel Anir deal with that problem.

"Have you ever considered... cleaning this place?" A finger wiped a shelf and although it came up without any dust the clutter in the workshop was unmistakable. These people were hoarders or psychotic nobles, there was no doubt in her mind.

• Smug
Reactions: Amos
"Ah!" Amos declared, apparently entirely unabated by Noe's somewhat lackluster response.

Taking a breath as he closed the door, the scientist wished not for the first time that he had a cane. Making a small note in his head he shoved off from his latest crutch, quickly beginning to move behind Noel to what would be his next perch.

"I had hoped they would tell you...but I suppose there's more important things to worry about." Amos said, chastising himself. "I'm a...smith of sorts! Yes, I suppose that analogy is close enough."

He explained, reaching his workbench and letting out a breath. "Hence the...clutter, I assure you everything in here is remarkably clean. The afterburns see to that at least."

Amos muttered, quickly glossing over what he'd said before continuing anew.

"You're here because I've been reliably informed that you control metal." He explained eagerly. "Capable of shaping it to exact standards."

The scientist shifted, moving some of the clutter to reveal a set of blueprints. "What I require has been beyond the capabilities of...well, anyone. Even the Dwarves found themselves lacking."

• Devil
"A smith?" This looked like no smithy she'd ever seen, although there was plenty of metal cluttered all around. She gave a simple nod as he explained it further and chose to just believe him that it was 'remarkably clean.'

It wasn't that much of a stretch as the finger she'd wiped on the shelving came up without any dust.

Her face went completely netural as Amos kept speaking and she paced around the workshop a bit longer, examining objects, and trying to control her growing frustration. When he finally stopped she placed a hand on a large piece of steel and rubbed at it. "Yes, I can control metal. I can shape some metal in precise ways."

Though she'd expanded her repertoire from just platinum to include iron, steel, and other metals and metallic alloys she still struggled with certain elements. Copper, and by extension bronze, were both proving to be quite challenging for her.

Noel took her hand off the large slate of steel and turned to look at Amos.

"So, you want me to," Noel had to stop herself as her face went a bright shade of red. She had been near the top of her class. She was the first Dreadlord to ever be admitted to the Black Guard. Noel had proven herself as one of the most promising young Dreadlords with her mind set on becoming Archon.

The dam burst and in a rage she spat, "turn metal into pretty shapes for you?"

• Scared
Amos' features colored. "No!"

He objected almost instantly.

"No no! I do not care about the form." Well, that wasn't entirely true. The form was the only thing he cared about, but he cared about it because the form needed to suit the function. So far he had been unable to do it himself. "Well-I do but-"

The Scientist shook his head, trying to find the right words and finding himself stammering. Somewhat reminded that Noel was a Dreadlord. One of the people who used to come through the Gutters to clean out the 'rabble' every month or so.

Taking a deep breath, Amos steadied himself. Swallowing hard before he gestured to the bench. "Please, let me explain."

He said, waving Noel over.

"My partner and I have been working on a project, well several projects really-" As he urged Noel over, he pushed several more pieces of clutter way to reveal a massive set of blueprints. "Perhaps it is easier if I start from the beginning."

Amos continued with a shake of his head. Staring at the blueprints for a moment before he steeled himself, pushing off from the workbench and hobbling over towards the glass case with the crystals. "You are a Dreadlord, so I will presume you have the same understanding of magic as some Initiates I have met."

They had understood the concept at least.

"In Vel Anir we know of magic in mostly one way; You. The Dreadlords." He began to explain as he opened the cabinet and fished out one of the softly glowing gems. "However, as I am sure you're aware, magic is really all around us. In life, in the very rock, everywhere. It is almost ambient. Sometimes greater and sometimes weaker but...still there."

Amos looked at the gem for a second, admiring it, and then slowly stumbled back towards the workbench. Holding up the crystal to Noel. "My partner and I found a way to harvest that ambient magic."

He offered the gem out to the Dreadlord, and she would feel it almost immediately. A spark of power, concentrated like a battery within the crystal.

"That was our first breakthrough." Amos explained, clearly quite proud.

• Gasp
She'd clearly riled him up but she wasn't certain if that was a good thing. Now he was speaking fast and dawdling around the point of all of this.

Harvesting ambient magic? A wild concept that made little sense. Noel had trained at the academy with Proctor's whose abilities would be spoken of in texts for a century, perhaps several centuries. They'd all poured over every initiate with a unique or semi-unique ability and concluded that many of them worked entirely differently from one another. Even Noel's magic, which on it's face seemed simple enough, had a weird quirk where certain metals "resonated" with her more than others.

Even the most experienced Proctor's who'd devoted their lives to understanding magic didn't know why she bonded so well with platinum yet struggled with metals like copper. And now this man, who appeared to have no latent magical ability at all, was claiming he'd harvested it?

"Right, sounds like it's very important but," as her fingers wrapped around the small gem she felt the thrum that iron gave off increase in intensity. The low hum that she only rarely felt, but knew it came from tin, was now a sharp whistle.

"How?"

Years of training, days of literal torture, and hours of meditation had never elicited such a quick and effective reaction as Amos' little gem. Whatever it was that "ambient magic" was he'd clearly figured out a way to trap it.

Noel dropped the gem upon the counter and stared intently at the crippled scientist she was initially reluctant to help. "I work best with platinum and iron. I can warp steel and other iron alloys alright. I'm learning tin. I'm awful with copper or bronze." Eyes narrowed and her lips went flat, "but whatever we're doing here, I need to know exactly what the end goal is."

• Stressed
There was a second, a moment, where Amos had his doubts. Where he thought she would continue on her tirade and deny him the power of her magics.

Then he saw it.

A spark in her eye. A moment where it all fell into place. It was a look that Amos had seen more than once, and each time it brought a new dash of mirth. His ears perked as she spoke of her talents, detailing different metals and her powers with them.

Almost instantly his mind flickered. The Engine so far had been using steel. Early on they had used copper for it's conductivity, and it was still important in the central housing but not within the engine itself. Steel had seemed simple at the time, but could they use Platinum?

The expense might have been too great for even the Luanas and Banicks to fund.

"I-" Amos snapped back into attention, his lips drawing to a thin line as he replayed the last few seconds in his mind. Head nodding as her question struck him. "Our Goal?"

He parroted. "Well, it is this."

Amos gestured to the blueprint splayed out on the workshop. It appeared to be a strange, almost snake like length of carts. Each one linked to the next, traveling along a narrow track. At the end of the contraption was something labeled the 'engine', and several dozen drawing lay around that component detailing what exactly it was. A power source of some sort.

"Or...do you perhaps mean on a grander scheme?" He asked, having grown used to the philosophy. "Because for that, I can only tell you that I wish to ease the lives of the people. To give them...something. Light where there was once darkness, a means to travel and see the world, aid in their work and day."

Amos smiled. "A naive thought, perhaps, especially in our home."

He did not elaborate. "But that is certainly my goal."

• Aww
That wasn't the answer Noel was anticipating.

Her apprehension began to fall away as confusion set in. She was preparing herself to inform him that, if his invention had any sort of military application it would likely become property of the Anirian Guard after she wrote up her report about this assignment. But now she was just perplexed.

"You know that you're naive, yet you wish to proceed?" Noel crossed her arms.

Was this man sincere or was he just trying to play her? Convince her that his goals weren't nefarious to catch her off guard? If she understood his blueprints correctly this device of his could move cargo faster than wagons or carts. It's first use would be for the nobility and merchants to profit off of, or the Guard would use it to aid in their conflicts.

Either way... "I'll help, if I can. What do I need to do first?"

His aims were noble and she decided to believe him. If she could bring this thing to life she'd help see it done. She just hoped that she wouldn't be around when he had the whole project taken from him after the Guard learned of its existence.

• Yay
An elated smile drew over his face as Noel finally agreed to help.

He had half thought that she would call him a fool, that she would reject the idea as a waste of time. She was a soldier after all, no, more than that she was a Dreadlord. Many in Vel Anir would have thought her time was worth a sack of gold a day.

Hardly wages he could afford. Kaeden, probably, but explaining that expense to him would be...well, Amos was glad that Noel had agreed. "First we must test the tolerance of your magics."

Amos explained.

"Meaning no offense." The Scientist said as he launched into a long explanation. "My problem has been the inadequacy of modern forging techniques. Which is to say the bending, welding, and sealing of metals within the degrees and precision I require."

He gestured towards the largest drawing containing the 'engine'. "To contain the arcane energies required to drive the device, the engine, or that is what I am calling it, needs to be made to exact standards."

Amos felt his lungs begin to ache.

"I must first assess if your magics are capable of this." He did not mean to challenge her, but it was necessary. "The engine cannot be made from platinum, not wholly I think, but several components..."

His head shook as he realized he was getting off track. "This task will be difficult, perhaps impossible. So far it has been, but it's solution..."

Could lead to so much.

• Thoughtful
Noel tilted her head as the man continued speaking. Initially she wanted to butt in, explain to him that the academy had done a fine job of testing the tolerance of her magic. But as he continued speaking she was glad she'd remained silent.

If this was using mixed metals then, well, there was a chance she couldn't achieve the precision he wished for.

Still, she took note of his rasp, the way he leaned on every piece of furniture he passed, the slight hobble to his steps. When she was certain he was done speaking she smiled and pieces of platinum and iron that made up her evolving armor suit detached themselves, floating into the air and surrounding Amos.

"I'll have to stretch myself, the kinds of metals you need to use will determine a lot, but," the metal that had surrounded Amos twisted and bent, forging into one another until they formed a sturdy cane with a loop on the end exactly the correct size to comfortably fit his wrist. "I'm pretty good."

Noel grabbed a piece of fabric that laid upon one of the benches and tossed it over to Amos. "Cushion the loop of that cane with the fabric, it'll be easier on your wrist when you put weight on it."

The Dreadlord glanced back at his blueprints, still convinced this entire scheme would just result in the Anirian Guard, or some noble house, ended up with a brand new toy. "So, what metals do you need me to play with?"

• Aww
Amos watched with studious fascination as the metal upon Noel's armor slowly came apart. It twisted and shifted within the air like liquid, and in that moment he wished he could have studied the change under the eye of a microscope.

Platinum poured like liquid, and for the first time in days the Scientist allowed himself a trickle of hope.

Perhaps her magics could do this. Perhaps his dream could actually be realized. As he felt the metal flow beneath his hand, Amos took in a deep breath. A barrier that he had built himself, the need for a crutch, swept away within the span of a heart beat.

He would pass sooner than he should have, he already knew that, but perhaps before he did...

Perhaps he would make his mark. "Thank you."

The words fell from his lips almost imperceptibly, his other hand coming up to catch the fabric she had thrown at him. He glanced down at his newly forged cane for a brief moment, a smile slowly drawing upon his features as he looked back up to Noel.

"Well." He began. "It's a long list, let me write it down."
proxy.php
Three Days Later

"Yes!" Amos shouted, nearly managing to kick himself up in the air."Yes! I think...I think-"

A loud pop resounded through the workshop. The tightly forged metals suddenly bursting apart in a violent congress of force and arcane power. Bright sparks of blue casting around the cage in which the engine sat, magics running rampant and barely caught by the onyx metal rods built all around the device.

Amos flinched, taking half a step back as the wave of concussive force rushed over both him and his companion. The sound of his voice shattering in the air as once again the engine failed.

For a brief moment the lights all throughout the workshop flickered, each bulb cascading with the power given off from the crystals within the engine. Dust floated through the air as the brightness within the shop stabilized, each glow-rod coming back into focus as the danger passed. "Ah."

Amos said with a frown.

"I think we were close." His gaze flickered over to Noel, knowing she would be upset. "It lasted three minutes this time."

An encouraging figure, two whole minutes than the last attempt!

They had been at this for nearly four days now. So far they'd had six attempts, and each one had been closer than the last. Amos was sure that they could get it, and now more than ever knew that Noel was the key. He could build a dozen trinkets, construct a hundred glow-bulbs, but without her? Without her his engine would never live.

They had to try again. "Perhaps another attempt?"

He asked, looking at Noel hopefully.

• Aww
On the first day her new companion had spent time explaining to her how ferrous metals worked. It turned out that a lot of alloys contained at least some level of iron, and it turned out that the eggheads like Amos referred to metals with iron as "ferrite" or "ferrous" metals.

Some of these alloys Noel could reliably move, like steel.

Others - like copper, titanium, zinc, or nickel - she struggled with. And, for better or worse, her scientific new acquantance had insisted they use a varied combination of metals. She wasn't certain of the reasons why, he'd said it had something to do with electrical conductivity and arcane sensitivity. Noel didn't bother questioning it, she'd never needed to ask many questions.

Her entire life had been devoted to serving Vel Anir and she'd seen the potential of this device. Helping Amos was, in truth, a way of helping Vel Anir prosper. Even if she didn't share her true intentions with the inventor.

By the third day she'd begun to grow frustrated, no doubt, but she didn't bother showing it. At least not very much.

"Another attempt, yes," she nodded vigorously, not really understanding why attempts failed or seemed to show progress. "Maybe we use more tin this time?"

A softer metal, one that Noel needed more practice with. She may not understand the machinations at work within their shop but she did understand her own weaknesses. If this whole venture was a failure but she left with a broader control and understanding of metals then this little project would still be beneficial, at least to herself.

Still, Noel hoped for something more... "whatever you think is best, I'm ready." A broad smile formed and she nodded towards Amos. "Let's do this." Noel had worked hard to try and win the inventor's trust, to make sure he felt she was on his team. The awful truth of it all was that she really did want this foray to be a success.

Even if she dreaded the idea of informing Amos his invention was now the property of the Anirian Guard.

• Aww
"Tin?" Amos parroted with a slight frown.

The idea wasn't a bad one. Tin was conductive to the arcane energies, but it was also a softer metal than steel. It would never be able to stand up to the pressures of the energies within, that much he was sure of...but perhaps there was a way.

For a brief moment Amos seemed to forget that Noel was there almost entirely.

As though he were in a trance the young man hobbled across the workshop, using the cane that Noel had made for him to quicken himself. He had not wanted to use one, it felt like admitting defeat, but he'd found that it's use helped him in his work and that was the most important thing;

The work.

"Perhaps a composite...no no..." Amos said as he quickly began to sketch something on an empty piece of paper on the bench he'd reached. After a few moments he finally spoke again. "Noel."

He asked, finally acknowledging her again and gesturing. "Could you do this?"

Amos questioned, gesturing to the quick sketch. There, she would see the engine drawn out again, except this time the design held a mixing of metals in a different way. The housing made of the steel alloy they had mainly been using, the inside 'fins' carefully laid out with tin, while a case sat around them which would be made of titanium.

All of which, would have to be put together at once.

It would be the first time they tried to make the engine out of different metals, before having only attempted a singular composite.

• Bless
Noel looked over the schematics that Amos had put together, she scratched at her chin, and then she looked over them from the beginning a second time. The thing he had drawn up was impressive, likely decades before their time in terms of engineering. But even with Noel's magic she wasn't positive if this would be exactly to his dimensions.

It had very precise measurements if the thing were to all fit together. And it used various metals.

The steel? Simple. The titanium? She was less confident. The tin? She wasn't confident at all. Noel looked up at Amos, certain that she was going to struggle to make this. "I am certain that I can do this."

After several hours of trying, and failing, they were now on attempt number seventy-eight. To her shock, there were a few attempts that had gotten quite close. It all, visibly, looked correct but as Amos took measurements he'd confirm that she'd warped the tin too badly or that the titanium casing wasn't tight enough to, 'contain the confluence of arcane energies.'

She'd punched a hole through a table out of anger once. Broken a cheap vase too, although that one had been more of an accident.

And now, on their seventy-eighth attempt, her face was caked in sweat.

Magic tended to have that sort of toll on a person when overused. When anyone capable of magic pushed themselves to the limit and kept using their magic for hours it just sapped all the energy out of you. Your muscles would ache, your mouth would go dry, you'd sweat uncontrollably, and if you went too long you were likely to just pass out from exhaustion.

Noel wasn't going to let it go to a lapse of consciousness, but, if this attempt didn't work out she knew they'd be done for the evening.

"There," she said through a panting breath as the titanium clasped itself around with enough space for the tin 'fins' to have room. "I think... I think I got it this time?"

At the very least she knew it was her best attempt so far, even if she expected Amos to say it still wasn't right.

• Aww
Noel was doing most, if not all of the work, and yet Amos looked almost as bad as she did.

The two of them had not taken much opportunity for rest, and although Noel labored fiercely with her magics Amos did the same with his mind. Slowly but surely his affliction had begun to take it's hold. A cough would echo more frequently, the cane used for holding his weight even while sitting. Bags formed under his eyes, and it was clear his body craved nothing but sleep.

Still, he moved about the engine excitedly, checking every nook, cranny, and component. Every measurement was carefully logged, every little fin marked, everything carefully recorded. The device had to be perfect, made so there was not even a hint of a gap.

Beyond the capability of any forge, and yet Amos had all the faith that Noel could do it.

"Yes." He said with an eager nod, hobbling slowly back towards his desk.

Fingers quickly flickered over the notepad as he began to write out the calculations, ensuring that everything was where it was supposed to be. "Yes."

He repeated. "This one will do it."

Amos glanced for a brief moment at the massive hunk of metal within the center of the workshop. A sort of pride flickering through his chest. Everything was in place, everything was right. He was sure of it this time. So damn sure.

But then, he'd been sure every other time.

"Would you care to do the honors this time?" Amos asked, gesturing to the glass case of crystals they would need to jumpstart the engine itself.

• Wonder
A gasp escaped from Noel's throat.

The sound was a mixture of exhaustion and elation at Amos' words. Finally, they'd done it. Sure, this was the fifth or sixth time he'd said he thought the thing was correct but this time felt like the right time. Noel stole a rag from the bench in front of her wiped the sweat from her face as she collapsed.

"Of course I'd like to do the honors," no lack of energy would ever have prevented her from seeing something she'd worked this hard for all the way through.

In a gesture that looked as if it required far more energy than it truly did, she placed a hand firmly upon the bench she'd just seconds earlier sat down upon and rose to her feet. Moving over towards the case which contained the nifty little inventions that Amos had created.

She nabbed one up, it shimmered with a teal hue and hummed between her fingers as she held it. Even just those few seconds of physical contact made her feel as if her magic was returning to her. "Let's give this a go."

Noel slid the crystal into the slot she'd seen Amos use on the last few prototypes.

Then, she held her breath.

• Gasp
The crystal almost immediately began to hum as it set into place. Noel backed up, just as Amos had rushed to do the last few times they had started this process.

Within mere moments the 'engine' began to come to life.

Magic energies within the crystal slowly began to disperse, drawn out by the fins and 'activated' by the gears which slowly began to turn. Amos held his breath without realizing, what the subtle glue blow take over some of the carefully curated wires, his chest beginning to ache as the engine turned over and some of the pistons actually beginning to shift.

Slowly but surely the device began to break the law of inertia, breaking free of it's quiet rest and beginning to hum. Amos reached out unconsciously, grasping Noel's arm with a surprisingly tight grip as the engine continued to spool up.

As the two Anirian's looked into the engine they would see the metal inside begin to shift.

Tin fins drew out more arcane energies from the crystal, and slowly the magics began to take the shape of a ball of pure light. They formed around the crystal, taking a shining visage as pieces of the engine 'fell' from the careful welds Noel had placed all around the case.

Concentric rings of titanium broke free, and quickly began to spin around the orb of arcane energies. A shrill shrieking sound entered the air as they began to move around one another. They moved faster and faster until the metal faded from view, the shrill cry turning into a pleasant hum as the engine finally seemed to stabilize.

Amos froze, his voice caught in his throat. "Is that..."

He said cautiously, as though afraid the sound of his own voice would somehow shatter their progress.

"Is it?" Amos asked, his voice barely a whisper.

• Yay
"It is."

Despite the sweat, despite the exhaustion, and despite Amos' tight grip on her forearm, Noel wore a beaming smiling. "It worked!" The Dreadlord pumped her free arm into the air in celebration.

They'd done it, actually done it, the first step to seeing this invention of his come to life had been successful.

Although he'd explained it a number of times she wasn't exactly certain what else needed to happen next. However, she knew that he'd claimed this part was the hardest. This was the piece of work that took the most precision, that had the most unknowns, and that might not even work. Yet, so far as they could tell, it was right here... working!

Noel was torn between wanting to sleep for fourteen hours and, "we should celebrate."

In a split second she'd made up her mind. This wasn't a time for sleep or continued work, this was a time to cut loose and relax after three full days of exertion. Three long, tiring, days of mental strain and stress over some dumb hunk of metal.

• Aww
This was it. Everything he had ever worked for his entire life. Everything he had ever wanted. Everything he had ever thought about.

He cursed the Banick family and the commitments which had seen Kaeden miss this moment. The two of them had of course shared their first, second, and third breakthrough together. Designing the crystals, finding a method of charging them, and then their first usable invention; the light stick, had all been achievements they'd had together.

This one, arguably the greatest, Amos had made with someone else at his side.

A part of him was disappointed for that fact, but a part of him was also glad for it. The Engine was his design, his thought. Kaeden had contributed, of course, but the drive had mostly come from him. It seemed almost poignant that his friend would not be here, though his presence was still missed.

Lost in the moment, Amos almost didn't hear what Noel said.

His vice like-grip on her having left her arm, a single wobbly step taken in a fugue like state.

This. This would change things. Amos was so sure of it. He was so sure. Magic, not just for war, not just for wizards and sorcerers, but practical long term use. People would be more connected, food could be shared more easily, mobility would be increased! This was the start of new world.

He stared for a moment longer at the engine, then, distantly, as though a lifetime away Amos responded. "Sorry..."

Amos said with a small smile.

"What?" He asked, finding it hard to look away from his creation, and also not quite knowing how to tell Noel that for most of his life...the celebration had always just been getting back to work.

• Devil
"Cele - brate."

A look came over Noel, one that her friends back at the academy knew well. The look she got when she planned to absolutely demolish them in martial training. The look she got when she knew she was about to have her version of fun. Which, for the initiates she knew growing up, usually meant showing off.

But today? Today that fun was going to take another form.

"Booze. A well cooked meal. Frozen strawberries. More booze." She shook her head at Amos who still seemed dumbstruck. "Surely, Vel Zaphris has an upscale place for nobles? Where the upper crust eats, and more importantly, drinks?"

After all, whoever Amos' benefactors were they paid an arm and a leg to get her out here. They surely wouldn't mind footing the bill once they saw the contraption the pair had created.

"So, what's the name of the place? You've got decent clothes to get in, yeah?" She looked the typical lab clothes he wore up and down, there was no chance she was going to be denied entry just because of his appearance. "I can just wear my armor, a Dreadlord patch gets you in practically anywhere."

A fun little tidbit about high society she'd learned awhile ago. The Guard had changed much about how Dreadlords operated but it'd be a long time before the prestiege and respect that surrounded them completely vanished from Anirian society.

• Gasp
"Oh. Ohhh!" Amos said, understanding…and horror, finally snapping into place.

There was something in Noel's smile that made sweat bead upon his brow. The twinkle in her eye seeming to denote that something wicked was a foot.

He considered her question for a moment, for some reason suddenly feeling like her was under interrogation. Amos had never much been one for the night life, either back in Vel Anir or here In Vel Zaphris…but the same could not be said for his partner. He considered for a moment, trying to remember some of the names Kaeden had told him about.

"Well there's the Tippsy Avariel.." Amos said cautiously, then remembered a story Kaeden had told him once about how he'd drank alcohol from betwixt a woman's chest there once and immediately realized it was not the sort of place that Noel was looking for. "Oh!"

He said again, as if experiencing another epiphany. "I believe I know a place."

Jiya had mentioned it on her last visit. Amos himself had never been, but when the new head of House Luana had come to see some of their works, she had mentioned a meeting there. "The Golden Gardens."

Supposedly founded by the daughter of the woman who owned and operated the Golden Rose in Vel Anir.

"I believe my benefactors have a tab there I have been given permission to use." Jiya had said as much, though Amos had never had any intention on using it. Mostly because his meals generally consisted of porridge, a sandwich, and then whatever Luciana brought him when she noticed he hadn't eaten in several hours.

• Popcorn
"The Golden Gardens sounds like a classy joint," Noel said with a nod, "and if you've got a tab then that's definitely where we're going."

Noel didn't share the sentiment that a few Dreadlords whispered about. That nobles somehow owed them something. But, Noel was a soldier now, and the opportunity of a good meal was rare. Moreover, if this thing worked half as well as Amos explained it they'd just done something amazing.

Whoever was footing the bill would probably buy them the Golden Gardens if they asked.

"That settles it, I'm getting ready, we're doing shots." In seconds her armor had formed up around her, whatever exhaustion that had been there before suddenly vanished and a hand whisked up towards her dark hair to tie it into a taut bun.

Once Amos got himself dressed in whatever it was he was wearing they departed for the place. Just from the outside she could tell this place was ritzy. Sleek marble fixtures and a sturdy wooden door painted as dark as the night.

If the food and alcohol was half as good as the presentation of this place then they were in for a true night of celebrating.

• Cry
  • Smug
Reactions: Henk and Amos
"I-errr…" Sweat beaded on the back of his neck, but Noel had made it clear that there wasn't any argument to be had. Armor snapped into place on her form, drawn from the metals around them, and Amos swallowed.

"Of course." He agreed, staggering a rather nervous smile. "We have to celebrate!"

Oddly enough, despite having no idea what he was getting himself into…Amos did mean the words. They had done something here today which he was sure would be written Into the histories. It should be celebrated.

Asking for a simple moment, Amos snapped up the cane that Noel had fashioned for him and disappeared into the back of the workshop. He came out a few minutes later dressed in one of Kaeden's suits. The outfit looked surprisingly nice on him, though was clearly a bit too large. The wasting of his disease having taken any chance of him filling out…well, most clothing.

By the time they reached the painted black door of the Golden Gardens, Amos almost felt confident about this venture. So much so that it was he who walked up to the midnight black gate and knocked upon it. A few seconds passed, and then a slot at the middle of the door opened.

"Name."

A faceless set of eyes demanded, and Amos found himself taken aback.

"Uhh, Amos Savren. The Luanas assured me tha-" As though he'd said a magic word, the sound of a dozen locks being opened echoed out. The door to paradise opening just a few seconds later.

Last edited:
  • Yay