Private Tales Like Strings Untied

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Livia Quinnick

Leading the Way
Character Biography
Link
It had become clockwork by now, instructions detailing she was to wait at one of the many indoor training rooms, the same one every session she had been summoned to. Livia was dressed in tight and dark gear, expecting to be thrown about the room like usual and see what would trigger her corrupted magic and be prodded and examined until no other conclusion could be met. She had wondered if they all gave up on her as so memo had made it's way to her door in quite some time, but two days ago she returned to her room to see the sealed note.

All she was privy to was that a Dreadlord would be running today's session. She had worked with Dreadlords that thought they knew the answer to Livia's problem, but it had been three years of inconclusive training sessions that only indentified minor triggers and telltale signs of when her magic was about to slip from her grasp. She was still useless, but her ability to track became something she excelled at. Livia, the Living Compass, that was not something to get herself far within the Dreadlord ranks.

And her instructor was late, the Initiate now laid out on her back and staring up at the ceiling above her. She had been awake and ready at dawn, broken her fast and did light exercise as the whole Academy woke up, and now, here she was, waiting

This better be worth it.
If they show up. She thought to herself, turning her head to watch the door and listen for any footsteps approaching in the hall just outside. Ten more minutes, that was how much longer Livia would wait before giving up and going about her day.

Dahlia Hawthorne

Dahlia’s eyes focused intently on the Initiate in the room. She had been here since she had arrived and yet the child had not noticed her. Was this the whispered Living Compass? She was a tireless tracker that always hits her mark. Dahlia had been given this test to seek what hasn’t been found. To understand what others could not. For three years they had been trying to understand Livia Quinnick’s corrupted magic. For three years they had been trying to find ways to tap into and control it. Three years and they had nothing but pages of useless information. A puzzle box she was, and Dahlia was the deeply interested hound to find the answers. However, now she wasn’t all that impressed.

“So, you’re the Living Compass everyone prattles on about like you’re some living legend.”

Dahlia’s voice was harsh and snapped like lightning in the ear. Her undertone held a rumble akin to two stones being rubbed together slowly. The voice permeated from the very rafters at which Livia was staring at. Sitting on them, one leg now dangling in the open air. Dahlia had been there the entire time but her ability to harmonize with the stone and wood of the buildings meant that she blended in near perfectly. Gently dropping herself down from the rafters with a thud three feet from Livia’s boots.

“I’m not impressed.”

Dressed in tight-fitting leather armor with embedded metal plates to guard her core pieces, black leggings, and tight-fitting boots that looked like the riding boots of the cavalry. However, they had softer and thicker soles for running through the woods as quietly and quickly as possible. Draped at her right side was her unique hip-rested quiver. On her left hip sat a six-inch dagger. Its sheath blends in perfectly with her armor.

“You couldn’t even tell I was in the room. Seems we have a lot of work to do.”

There was a harshness in her voice but there was an honesty as she continued.

“I was given this job because quite frankly you gave all the rest of them a headache. Nothing they did worked. I’m here to find out why you are the way you are and break the bullshit. But let me be clear. I’m not doing it for the Dreadlords. I’m doing it for you.”

Dahlia came to bend over, looking Livia intensely in the eyes. Her dark emerald hues revealed turbulence and focus all at once.

“For if you cannot do it, you are nothing but a liability and a walking gravestone. Dead weight.”

Stepping back, Dahlia would point to the far wall where there was a single archery target. Thick and freshly padded. Against the left wall, there sat a chest. One that Dahlia opened revealing hundreds of freshly made arrows. Made specifically for the day. At the count, there were over four hundred arrows.

“Let’s start by seeing how many bulls eyes you can hit. Don’t stop until your arms die or you run out of arrows while we’re at it. Why don’t you tell me what you honestly thought about the last few teachers.”

Livia Quinnick

• Stressed
Reactions: Livia Quinnick
Alarm was sent through her body at the announcement of the Dreadlord, pinned to the floor as the woman came to crouch down beside her, harsh words still firing from her lips that irritated Livia. Great. Another Dreadlord that thought tough love was the key. How many sessions was she going to suffer such onslaught?

Dead weight.

Those words hit her like a wash of icy water. She sat up now, brows furrowing deeply as a her mouth opened to retort but the Dreadlord had already moved on and started the lesson.

"The Proctors that volunteered to give training a shot all said the same thing. Corrupted magic is unheard of." Livia plucked the bow from the wall, testing the resistance and feel for a moment before taking up stance and nocking an arrow in place. "They all decided that it was easier to hone basic magic rather than work to remove the corruption." There was no need for her to lock eyes onto the target, pulling back the string and sending the arrow straight across the room to hit the bullseye. Liv did not look to confirm she hit the mark, already readying two arrows in place to be fired one after the other. "So then they invited Dreadlords. They too thought I was dead weight but.. they could not deny that I could be helpful in other areas. They see my compass powers as the dominant magic I wield..."

Thunk. Thunk.

Still or moving, a target was always too easy. It literally was the only thing anyone thought to teach when it came to her unique power.
"There was one Dreadlord that gave me an interesting lesson. High stakes calculations, disorientating information. I actually had to stop and think when it came to finding the marked person amongst the rest that fit the profile. Passed with flying colours, of course, but..."

Livia sighed and took up a rhythmic routine of nock, draw, loose as she spoke. Her muscles twitched in protest, but the Initiate ignored it and continued as instructed. "The Academy does not know it yet... but it is not corrupted magic. If what you say is true and you wish to help me, then we need to work with confidentiality. Can I trust you with this?"

Dahlia Hawthorne

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dahlia Hawthorne