Fable - Ask Laws of the Pack

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
He hadn't answered if he was ok, this concerned her but she let it be and ate in silence, only stopping when one of the females saught her out. She chuckled lightly at a few of their jokes and comments, though she was still concerned about Baraek.

Her tail wagged idly from side to side as she listened to them all talk, learning alot from just listening. She remained sitting idly by though she had gotten her fill before everyone else had, as she hadn't been talking as much while they ate.

She said nothing to him, though she did eye him slightly from the corner of her eye, wondering what was going on in his head... wondering what his father had said.

Uhfred

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Uhfred
It wasn't his father's words that troubled him, but rather his voice. It was getting hoarse, and he had begun to cough somewhat frequently. And what his father had told him had very little to do with him finding her alone, but rather about the duty that all alphas carried. Duty to the pack, duty to it was first and foremost. Put the packs needs above your own and such, things that he'd already told him. But he also told Baraek of the reality of the situation.

He was dying, he was old, no longer strong. And his words carried a weight that hit him like a punch to the gut. The alpha was dying, and Bark would have to replace him, he may have to beat the other males into accepting him as alpha, but ultimately he spoke to him of the duties that he would soon be carrying.

Hence he remained quiet and thoughtful. Unsure of how to proceed. Should he challenge his father now? Give him a warriors death? Or should he wait, let him die on his own, a death very few wolves are graced with. He understood what was coming, but he also understood that there was a good chance he would have to kill his father soon.

• Bless
Reactions: Sephrenia
As the night wore on and everyone had eaten she knew it was getting closer to the time they'd be going to bed. As the females started settling in she looked to him again quietly. She moved to rub his shoulder, she did not know what was wrong, she did not know his father as anything but a higher up that could literally have her killed on the spot if he so choose. All it would take is her stepping on the wrong toe and he could have the pack on her in a second.

She didn't know him like Baraek did, she did not know his health status either. She knew he was not well, he'd seen better days she was sure but she did not know that his days were numbered.

She took a step towards him and attempted to give him a hug before she too would head to bed, it was a human sign of affection and comfort, and she wasn't sure if it would be accepted or declined, but she'd be ok with whatever. He'd still not told her how he was doing, but she did not pry. If he wanted her to know, he'd tell her.

Uhfred

• Sip
Right before Seph entered the den with the others, she decided to give him a hug. He smiled and wrapped an arm around her back, returning the hug. He didn't know why she did it, but he was glad that she did.

He watched her enter the den, then he returned to the fireside, to tend it. He'd see her in the morning.

(Feel free to add in-den dialogue between your character and one of the females if you like )

Seph smiled faintly at his returned hug, the tension seemed to slip from his muscles as they hugged, not fully but a little bit at least. She pulled away gently and headed into the den with the other females, looking back to him for a second as he tended the fire.

One of the females Seph felt closest too called her over and she smiled lightly, moving to sit with her and the others. Seph leaned against the ribcage queitly, involved in the conversation with them, but more listening than interjecting as they talked about which male each wanted to share a den with. Then, one of the females turned towards her

"We all know Seph also has a sweet spot for Baraek..."

Seph blinked slightly, being called out. She chuckled lightly and nodded... "Well of course, he was the first of the pack I met, and I've gone through quiet a bit with him. I haven't really had a chance to spend time with the others. He has taught me alot about pack life"

"Yeah but you gotta get in line, alot of us would love to be his mate, and we've all known him longer..."

It was left at that. She simply nodded, she would not fight any of them over the idea, she did not know if the males choose, or the females, or the alpha alone, she had no idea so she would not try to force her way into anything. "I will do what is best for the pack, regardless of how I feel about anything else. I am aware I will likely share whomever my mate ends up being, and it does not bother me. It is what it is, and right now, increasing numbers and getting the pack stable now is the most important thing."

They seemed to like the answer and the focus fell off her as they went back to discussing all the males and their nuances. She yawned slightly and moved to lay on her side, resting her head on her hands to try to sleep. She listened to all their words, taking in the info they gave, but as she said, she'd do whatever was needed for the pack, her opinion of it didn't matter.

Uhfred

• Cry
Baraek's ears, along with the ears of all other males, could hear the conversation being had. It wasn't a surprising topic for them to speak on, it was a pretty clear issue with a pretty clear answer.

Even so he ignored most of it, ultimately it was the males who chose their mates. But he wasn't sure when they'd be choosing. He or his father would have to limit the amount of females a male could have to two to make it "fair", and if he were the alpha by the time he'd likely only take one, letting the rest have two each.

He and his fellow men slept outside in shifts. And as they had yesterday, went looking for trolls, or ogres. Same arrangements as before.

• Sip
When she woke, throughout the night, she'd lift her head and look outside to those sleeping out there, seeking one out and lowering her head once she'd "checked" on him.

When morning came it was again time to hunt, and again, she was paired with him. They walked in silence as they searched for trolls or ogres. She did not ask what happened between him and the alpha again. If he wanted to discuss it, he would. She kept quiet, sniffing the air as they covered more ground than they had during the last hunt.

They came upon a stream and she stopped, dipping her hands in and cupping some water for herself to drink before doing the same to offer him.

"Are you thirsty?"

Uhfred

• Bless
"yes actually thank you."

She smiled softly, happy to be able to provide for him. They continued forward, her head lifted to the sky, scenting the air as he spoke "Did you sleep well?"

She smiled softly as she eyed him slightly through the corner of her eye before replying. "I sleep better when besides you... but yes, I slept well thank you. How about you?" The boldness of her statement was, unusual for her, but the more comfortable she became, especially around him, the less she censored herself. He'd begin to see her true personality coming through during their moments alone, when things were somewhat calm.
Uhfred

"I sleep better when besides you... but yes, I slept well thank you. How about you?"

He hadn't the faintest clue on how to reply to such a statement, so he opted just to answer the question. "I slept well enough yes."

He turned his own nose to the air, nothing. He didn't think that they'd find another ogre, maybe a troll but he also doubted that, ogres were territorial. Very territorial, so the one they found the previous day would have chased other big animals off.

• Popcorn
" I slept well enough yes"

He replied and she nodded with a smile. As they wandered, searching and finding nothing. On occasion she'd nudge him playfully as they moved through the woods, listening, hoping though they found little.

The curiosity about the discussion with his father, the alpha was killing her. She broke down and asked... "How was your talk with your father? If you want to talk about it... that is"

Uhfred

The curiosity about the discussion with his father, the alpha was killing her. She broke down and asked... "How was your talk with your father? If you want to talk about it... that is"

He sighed. "Not what I expected. He didn't really bring up finding you alone. He spoke to me only regarding the future of the pack and my duty to it. It was a conversation that had to happen eventually, even if I already knew what it was he had to tell me. I suppose the weight of it all is finally perfectly clear to me."

• Bless
"Not what I expected. He didn't really bring up finding you alone. He spoke to me only regarding the future of the pack and my duty to it. It was a conversation that had to happen eventually, even if I already knew what it was he had to tell me. I suppose the weight of it all is finally perfectly clear to me."

She stopped walking for a moment as she looked to him, sensing the pain in his voice. She nodded softly as she moved to hug him again lightly.

"well, I am here to help you in anyway possible, with whatever you need" she said softly, letting him control the length and strength of the hug.

Uhfred

She stopped walking for a moment as she looked to him, sensing the pain in his voice. She nodded softly as she moved to hug him again lightly.

"well, I am here to help you in anyway possible, with whatever you need" she said softly, letting him control the length and strength of the hug.

He returned the hug gratefully. "Thanks Seph. I appreciate your help, all of it."

They hugged for a good ten minutes before he finally let her go and began to walk again. He thought back to what he'd overheard the night before. He didn't understand the female mind, so he didn't know exactly what they had meant, but he had a feeling that he wasn't very far off in his understanding of what was said.

• Cthuulove
"Thanks Seph. I appreciate your help, all of it."

She smiled softly, happily resting her head against his chest as they hugged. When he pulled away she wanted to whimper, the comfort she felt was overpowering and she was more than happy to do anything she could for him. As they continued to walk, she decided to ask more about what he'd said about the future.

"Do you males choose your females or do the females choose when it comes down to it? There is no heigherarchy amongst humans, usually... so I am not familiar with the rules persay."

While she would be happy to be by his side permanently, she did not expect it. She was not raised in a pack, her inexperience made her a bit of a hassle and she knew he would have his hands full when, if he finally took over. She honestly wasn't sure, if he became alpha, if she herself would even be capable of helping him be the best alpha for the pack. The other females had been right about that, they had known him longer and she really had no right to hope to be at his side, so she readied herself for the reality that their time together was likely limited, and the span was likely as long as his father remained alpha.

Uhfred

• Cry
"Do you males choose your females or do the females choose when it comes down to it? There is no heigherarchy amongst humans, usually... so I am not familiar with the rules persay."

"Ultimately it comes down to the males. We usually pick a female we like and from then on she's ours. If more than one male wants the same female we fight, winner takes the girl. It's primitive yes, but it helps ensure that only the stronger males pass on their genes. To keep the pack strong you could say." He explained.

If he were alpha, rather when he was alpha, he would have a lot to take care of yes, but at the same time he'd have more freedoms too. He could decide whom to mate with, and very few of the other males would fight him for it, unless they saw him as weaker than they, in which case they might take the role of alpha.

But really, that was an issue to handle later.

• Thoughtful
She nodded lightly before looking to the sky, the day was more than half over and they'd found nothing. She drug her tongue over her muzzle slowly as she looked to him, then a tree. She pondered climbing the tree to get a better vantage point on the surrounding area before she looked to him again.

"Should we loop around back towards home before night falls or will we stay out all night?" She asked softly as she looked around, sniffing the air hopefully. She really wanted to find a troll or ogre, she wanted to get this finished, once the chaos of trying to settle back down was over she bet she'd feel more at home with the pack and she looked forward to that regardless of where in the pack she fit.

Uhfred

• Wonder
"Should we loop around back towards home before night falls or will we stay out all night?"

"We should probably start heading back. One of the other groups might have found one and killed it. We may have a second den to build tonight." He said semi-optimistically.

He turned around and they started to head back. Noone had found anything, they'd found signs of activity, so they were out there, but no new prey tonight. Regardless, they had plenty of food.

Baraek got to work building a fire. The others gathered wood and prepared the meat for cooking.

• Popcorn
"We should probably start heading back. One of the other groups might have found one and killed it. We may have a second den to build tonight."

They headed back and while there had been no kills, there were signs and there was plenty of meat still and morale was pretty high. She helped gather wood happily bringing it to Baraek specifically, smiling softly as she settled the bunches near his fire before turning and going the get more.

Her tail swayed slowly from side to side as she walked, her long ebony fur fluttering in the wind. She walked by the occasional male, smiling softly to them as she passed, she figured she'd do well to try to get to know them as well as she settled into the pack. Her lean muscles rippled beneath her pelt as she moved, bringing back another bushel of wood from Baraek queitly.

As she gathered wood, she noticed some odd white rocks, she picked them up quietly and brought them to Baraek. She smiled as she held on out to him.

"This is salt... it can used to season the meat some..." she brought the rock to her muzzle, dragging her tongue lightly over it to taste it, showing him that he could do the same to taste it.

"I will use another rock to grind it into smaller, tiny chunks to season the meat. I've seen some other things too, as we've wandered, but this is a staple for human seasonings..." she smiled as she watched him queitly, waiting for him to taste it.

Uhfred

• Wonder
As she gathered wood, she noticed some odd white rocks, she picked them up quietly and brought them to Baraek. She smiled as she held on out to him.

"This is salt... it can used to season the meat some..." she brought the rock to her muzzle, dragging her tongue lightly over it to taste it, showing him that he could do the same to taste it.

"I will use another rock to grind it into smaller, tiny chunks to season the meat. I've seen some other things too, as we've wandered, but this is a staple for human seasonings..." she smiled as she watched him queitly, waiting for him to taste it.

Steph helped gather firewood, which earned her thanks. Then she brought salt. He remembered that the human who taught the pack to cook spoke of salt. He tasted it and recoiled in surprise at how strong the taste was.

"Do you know how to apply it?"

• Smug
She chuckled at his recoil at the taste. She nodded softly and walked away. She wandered around the camp slightly until she found a flat rock and another rock that was larger than the salt stone in her hand, then she went to where they had the meat ready for cooking. She moved to rest on her knees, settling the flat stone down, then setting the salt on it. She took the larger stone and hit the salt stone to break it into a smaller chunk and moving the larger chunk to the side. She used the larger stone to grind the now smaller chunk of salt into a fine, almost powder. She took the piece of meat and sprinkled the salt on all sides, rubbing it in slightly before standing and taking it to Baraek.

"This is it, seasoned... now, just cook it as normal"

She said with a soft smile as she watched for his reaction curiously.

Uhfred

• Bless
He nodded to her his approval. He said, "great. Is there enough to season it all? If so could you do so please?"

He let his appreciation for her efforts be known. She was working for the pack, and she did so without complaint. She was a reliable woman and he let her know that he appreciated her efforts.

They got to work cooking, and the meat began to sizzle before too long.

• Cthuulove
She smiled softly as she seasoned most of the meat, but left some without in case the taste was not to everyone's liking. As he cooked the meat, she nuzzled him lightly, tail wagging slowly as she rubbed the top of her head against his arm playfully, but the motion was short lived, while she still wanted to show her appreciation for him, she did not want the other females thinking she was trying anything sneaky.

When the meat began to sizzle she smiled softly, watching it happily, her tail wagging slowly as he looked to him with a bright happy grin, excited to see what everyone thought.

She had noticed his appreciation of her efforts and was proud to be making him happy. She watched in silence as everyone grabbed some and went off to eat. She picked up a piece and offered it to him curiously, picking up a piece for herself as well.

Uhfred

• Cheer
Her efforts were rewarded by unanimous agreement that her seasoning had improved the food. A lot of the wolves thanked her for finding and using the salt.

Baraek was also appreciative. To the point where her nuzzling was rewarded by ear scratches. "Good job Seph, good job indeed."

• Bless
Her eyes fell closed as he scratched her ears, she leaned lightly into his hand, smiling at his words "Good job Seph, good job indeed."

"Thank you"
she said softly as she smiled. "I will find more tomorrow and crush up more so it is always around. I can look for other things as well"

She sighed softly as night was rapidly approaching, meaning their time together was also rapidly dwindling and they would soon be parting ways. She stood quietly and hugged him gently, burying her head against his chest before going to bed with the rest of the females.

"Night Baraek..." she said softly.

Uhfred