Fable - Ask Laws of the Pack

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
“Simple enough” She said with a sideway glance at him, the corners of her muzzle raised in a smirk. As she settled she leaned slightly against his side, watching the ogre patiently, her ears perked forwards. She tilted her head and looked to Baraek curiously…

He wrapped an arm around her as she sat with him. Her smirk was met with a smile, and he laid his head back against the trunk of a tree. Then she asked about whether they howled. "Every now and then, it's usually used to signal danger when you're watching the camp, or if you're out in the forests like we are now, they're to call for help."

Will you seek out others to help bring the kill back as they will also be using parts, or do you bring your own kills home completely alone? And if the later is the case… has your pack ever thought to, possibly tame other animals to help? Such as cattle and horses?”

"We'll be bringing them back ourselves. As for animals, well we've never had need of taming them. Hunting brings us the meat we need and we're still wolves, so we're strong enough on our own. We've never given it much thought because they simply don't seem necessary. Besides, that thing may be big, and heavy of course, but individual pieces are far more manageable."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Sephrenia
"Every now and then, it's usually used to signal danger when you're watching the camp, or if you're out in the forests like we are now, they're to call for help." She leaned comfortably against his chest and shoulder as she thought, nodding softly in response to his words. They made sense she supposed, though their voices could be used to make a hunt easier, returning with food easier and many other reasons. She was not really part of the pack yet, though her presence was now accepted so she said nothing else about it, it was not her place to try to change things in the pack.

"We'll be bringing them back ourselves. As for animals, well we've never had need of taming them. Hunting brings us the meat we need and we're still wolves, so we're strong enough on our own. We've never given it much thought because they simply don't seem necessary. Besides, that thing may be big, and heavy of course, but individual pieces are far more manageable."

She tilted her head slightly as she pondered his words and she couldn't help herself but to reply. "I understand that once cut up, it will be easy enough to move in multiple trips, but with each trip comes danger. If we cut it up, took some back, got a ox drawn cart and came back... the amount of trips would be cut drastically, hence the danger to ourselves and the pack as a whole would be less as the time it all takes would diminish. I am not trying to say you're ways are wrong, just, hoping to help out where I can." She said softly, again nudging her nose slightly under his chin as a sort of "sorry" for her words, hoping once again that she was not over stepping her bounds. She didn't think she was, as they seemed keen to learn things such as cooking meat, but she was not totally sure so she errored on the side of caution.

Uhfred

She tilted her head slightly as she pondered his words and she couldn't help herself but to reply. "I understand that once cut up, it will be easy enough to move in multiple trips, but with each trip comes danger. If we cut it up, took some back, got a ox drawn cart and came back... the amount of trips would be cut drastically, hence the danger to ourselves and the pack as a whole would be less as the time it all takes would diminish. I am not trying to say you're ways are wrong, just, hoping to help out where I can." She said softly, again nudging her nose slightly under his chin as a sort of "sorry" for her words, hoping once again that she was not over stepping her bounds. She didn't think she was, as they seemed keen to learn things such as cooking meat, but she was not totally sure so she errored on the side of caution.

He thought about this a moment, and she nuzzled him as he thought, a gesture he returned. "Makes sense, I suppose in that case the issue would then be feeding them. We don't farm, we don't know how to farm and oxen require a certain type of food if I remember correctly, and enough of it to keep them strong enough for work. It's not a bad idea really. Maybe it could be used, any idea on how to tame an ox?"

This last question was mostly to tease her, as told by the smile on his face.

• Smug
He nuzzled her back lightly, soothing her worry that she may have upset him.

"Makes sense, I suppose in that case the issue would then be feeding them. We don't farm, we don't know how to farm and oxen require a certain type of food if I remember correctly, and enough of it to keep them strong enough for work. It's not a bad idea really. Maybe it could be used, any idea on how to tame an ox?"

She chuckled slightly at his teasing smile, resting her head lightly against him as she answered.

"Actually, since you have a certain friend that has a human form, it would not be too difficult for her to go purchase or steal one, but they are also not too difficult to catch. If we can find some wild ones, separate a calf or two from the females and rope them and bring them here, we would be good as gold. Raise them up and we have multiple things they can be used for. Milk when bred, meat, fertilizer for farming. There are many uses for the time and energy it takes to have them. I am by no means a farmer but I know some basics and can teach them.”

She smiled softly as she looked back to the Ogre quietly, it’s breathing had slowed dramatically, she wasn’t even sure if it was still breathing. She looked back to Baraek quietly “Is it dead?” she asked curiously.
Uhfred

• Devil
Reactions: Uhfred
Actually, since you have a certain friend that has a human form, it would not be too difficult for her to go purchase or steal one, but they are also not too difficult to catch. If we can find some wild ones, separate a calf or two from the females and rope them and bring them here, we would be good as gold. Raise them up and we have multiple things they can be used for. Milk when bred, meat, fertilizer for farming. There are many uses for the time and energy it takes to have them. I am by no means a farmer but I know some basics and can teach them.”

He nodded, "Sounds like a plan. It likely won't be put into action for a while but it is definitely something to consider. As for going and stealing or buying some, I'm fairly certain you need clothes to fit in with humans, and so far as I'm aware you don't have any. It won't be hard to make you some from leather, but right now all materials are best put to use reestablishing ourselves. So, a good plan, will likely be put off for a while."

He scratched her behind the ears to gauge her reaction, he knew that many wolves had a bit of a soft spot there, and he wondered if she did.

She smiled softly as she looked back to the Ogre quietly, it’s breathing had slowed dramatically, she wasn’t even sure if it was still breathing. She looked back to Baraek quietly “Is it dead?” she asked curiously.

He looked at the ogre, and sniffed, "not quite, but we can probably get close without risking harm now. Stay here, I'll kill it quickly."

He stood up and drew one of his swords. He got close, and expertly drove the sword under it's chin and up into it's brain. It was dead now, and they weren't done. He got to work cutting the calves off, those would be the pieces carried back first.

"Lets get going. Think you can carry the other one?"

• Bless
"Sounds like a plan. It likely won't be put into action for a while but it is definitely something to consider. As for going and stealing or buying some, I'm fairly certain you need clothes to fit in with humans, and so far as I'm aware you don't have any. It won't be hard to make you some from leather, but right now all materials are best put to use reestablishing ourselves. So, a good plan, will likely be put off for a while."

She laughed. “As a woman… walking up to human men nude will most likely get you whatever you want.” She chuckled lightly as she eyed him. His hand reached up to her head and his claws scratched behind her ears. Her eyes fell closed at the feeling, lifting her head slightly to press gently against his claws. A soft growl of pleasure reverberating in her throat as he continued. When he stopped she smiled softly and licked the underside of his jaw lightly in thanks.

Their attention turned to the ogre.

"Not quite, but we can probably get close without risking harm now. Stay here, I'll kill it quickly."

She stood shortly after he did, following slowly and watching him and the creature. He drove his sword through it’s skull with expert precision. She watched him as he began dissecting the beast by removing the calves, turning to her as he picked one up.

"Lets get going. Think you can carry the other one?"

She nodded softly, picking up the large lower leg of the beast, lifting it to her shoulders and following him quietly. She was able to keep up, though the large calf was definitely a heavy chunk of meat and bone to be carrying.

Uhfred

• Popcorn
She laughed. “As a woman… walking up to human men nude will most likely get you whatever you want.” She chuckled lightly as she eyed him.

That earned an amused laugh from the wolf. "Yes, us males, be we humans or otherwise, frequently think with our genitals. A sad truth."

His hand reached up to her head and his claws scratched behind her ears. Her eyes fell closed at the feeling, lifting her head slightly to press gently against his claws. A soft growl of pleasure reverberating in her throat as he continued. When he stopped she smiled softly and licked the underside of his jaw lightly in thanks.

So she liked ear-scratching, good to know. The lick to his chin earned an eyeroll, but he was nonetheless happy about it. Her reaction was a good one, one he'd look forward to bringing out again.

They carried the calves back to the camp, where a couple of the wolves were found, they had been instructed to gather wood, so they had a firepit going. Over the next several trips between the carcass and their new home, they had a third pair of hands and eventually a fourth to help them on the way.

• Bless
She did anything she was asked to do, carrying large chunks of the ogre back trip after trip. She was thankful for the added hands when the other wolves joined in helping bring back to Ogre. She smiled softly as she watched how well they worked together as they brought everything back. She was panting by the time they were done, her tongue escaping her maw slightly as she did so.

She padded up alongside Baraek on a return trip to the ogre to grab some more of it to take back. “After we are done I am going to seek out a stream and get a bath, I am covered in blood…” She laughed softly…. Before finishing “If that is ok…” She was still collared, she still had to answer to him before just doing whatever she wanted.

Uhfred

She padded up alongside Baraek on a return trip to the ogre to grab some more of it to take back. “After we are done I am going to seek out a stream and get a bath, I am covered in blood…” She laughed softly…. Before finishing “If that is ok…” She was still collared, she still had to answer to him before just doing whatever she wanted

"That's fine. I think there's a stream nearby, just be sure to go downstream before you start bathing." He said to her with a smile. Frankly he'd forgotten all about the collar, by now he viewed her as a member of the pack, free to do as she needed so long as she still adhered to the alpha's commands. "Don't take too long though, we'll be cooking some of the meat and preserving the rest, and we'll be getting the first den set up. I think it's to be shared by you and the other females."

He let her go on her own to the stream, as he himself was busy helping out with cutting the meat.

• Popcorn
"That's fine. I think there's a stream nearby, just be sure to go downstream before you start bathing. Don't take too long though, we'll be cooking some of the meat and preserving the rest, and we'll be getting the first den set up. I think it's to be shared by you and the other females."

She looked to him as he cut up the meat, she nodded softly, though the idea of not being in his den was not a great one. She'd grown to feel safer with him around, and now she'd be moving into the den with the other females whom she hardly knew. She forced the frown which tempted her features away as she moved to grab her water-skin before she headed for the stream quietly. She ran to the stream, making sure she was far enough downstream before stepping into the water, letting the cool water soak her sore muscles. She yawned slightly as she let the water wash over her ebony pelt, washing away the blood and grime of the day.

When she was done she filled the water-skin and headed back to the pack slowly, shaking the water out of her pelt as she walked. She watched the treeline cautiously as she walked, making sure she was safe, her ears perked, twisting around to follow the sounds of the woods around her.

Uhfred

• Bless
Her ears would pick up breathing, the barest hint of raspyness audible in it. She'd find the alpha leaning against a tree roughly halfway on her way back to the new village. He'd have his arms crossed and a brow cocked. "And just what are you doing alone?"

The alpha hadn't yet authorized that she be left alone without being properly restrained, and since there was no reliable way to restrain her, he expected her to not be left alone. So when she left on her own, he decided to look into it. He and Baraek would likely be having a heated discussion later that evening.

• Scared
Seph heard breathing and the fur aligning her neck stood on end as she slowed for only a second before continuing to walk, then she noticed the ivory Alpha leaning against the tree, a snide sort of look in his eyes and across his muzzle as he spoke "And just what are you doing alone?" She swallowed dryly, her instinct was to be defensive but she opted for another route. She smiled softly, her ears resting against her skull submissively, her tail wagging lightly as she held out the water-skin, heading towards him to offer it to him.

"I was getting water for everyone since everyone was so busy..."
She said lightly, keeping her voice soft and cheery, hoping this ruse would fool him. Her heart was threatening to beat out of her chest as she walked towards him with the water-skin outstretched. "Nice I find you first, as alpha you deserve the first drink." She said with honey on her tongue.

Uhfred

• Popcorn
"I was getting water for everyone since everyone was so busy..." She said lightly, keeping her voice soft and cheery, hoping this ruse would fool him. Her heart was threatening to beat out of her chest as she walked towards him with the water-skin outstretched. "Nice I find you first, as alpha you deserve the first drink." She said with honey on her tongue.

"Deserve is hardly the word to use." He said, he accepted but only took a small sip. "Next time you go to get water, make sure someone is with you, it doesn't have to be Baraek but it has to be someone."

His face would say quite clearly that he wasn't fooled, he could hear her heart racing, and he could tell she was lying. But he didn't press the matter. Handing the skin back to her he accompanied her back to their new establishment.

Baraek saw the alpha walk her in and immediately knew that he would be having words later. But that was a concern for later. Meat was cooking, it was time to start building a den. They started by first taking the ribcage and hipbone of the ogre and digging a bowl-like indent in the ground, and setting the ribcage down in it. They used mud and clay to build up the roof, leaving the neck side of the den open as the entrance, the hipbone helped fill in the rest near the other side. They then built a fire inside of it, to help dry and solidify the clay and mud.

• Stressed
"Deserve is hardly the word to use. Next time you go to get water, make sure someone is with you, it doesn't have to be Baraek but it has to be someone."

"Yes sir..." she said submissively, bowing her head slightly as he drank. Her sapphire eyes watched him closely, his features did not hide his true feelings though, the muscles of his face spoke clearly that he still did not trust her. She walked a step behind him as they headed back to the pack. As they came close, her eyes locked on with Baraek's as his eyes caught that his father was with her. She shrugged faintly, making it known she didn't know what was going on or how he'd been able to corner her.

She watched them as they worked, helping where she was asked to, doing her best though she did not know the technique they used so she made sure mainly to stay out of the way, and to help only when asked. When she had the chance, she moved to try to stand besides Baraek, but the opportunity to actually talk never presented itself. She frowned nervously as the den was completed and the wolves moved off to let it dry and solidify.

Uhfred

• Cthuloo
Her help was minimal, and everyone knew why. They asked for help fairly frequently to keep her involved so that she could learn, but ultimately she was just an extra hand.

Baraek watched her, aware of her attempts to remain close, and obliging as best he could. Once the fire was lit inside the small den they let it burn for nearly two hours before finally letting it go out, and clearing the ash from the den.

Baraek stood next to her and smiled. "So, what do you think? Ever see someone build like this before?

"So, what do you think? Ever see someone build like this before?

She smiled faintly "very precise, very intelligent. Everyone works so well together. No, I have never seen anything like it, humans and their machines, they'd have no way of figuring anything like this out."

She nuzzled his shoulder lightly, her eyes scanning for his father cautiously, watching him for a moment. "I am sorry he caught me out... I didn't have any way to get away from him. " she nuzzled his shoulder again lightly, nervously.

Uhfred

• Popcorn
She nuzzled his shoulder lightly, her eyes scanning for his father cautiously, watching him for a moment. "I am sorry he caught me out... I didn't have any way to get away from him. " she nuzzled his shoulder again lightly, nervously.

He waved her apology aside. "It's my fault really, I gave you the go ahead to go alone, I should have known he'd notice you missing with our numbers so diminished."

The nuzzles were cute, how she was asking for forgiveness through gentle affection, more like a very sorry dog than a wolf, but he couldn't really compare her to raised wolves, she knew so little still. He scratched behind her ears to say she was forgiven, "Besides, I'm likely the one to be in trouble. I think the alpha is knows you won't run or betray us by now, I think he's mostly just trying to look at how compliant I am with his wishes."

• Stressed
"It's my fault really, I gave you the go ahead to go alone, I should have known he'd notice you missing with our numbers so diminished."

She smiled softly as he scratched behind her ears, the action had become soothing to her and she enjoyed when he showed her the attention.

"Besides, I'm likely the one to be in trouble. I think the alpha is knows you won't run or betray us by now, I think he's mostly just trying to look at how compliant I am with his wishes."

She chuckled softly. "You being in trouble rather than me doesn't make it much better..." she admitted quietly. "Do you think he will do anything about it?

Her eyes turned back to the den she'd be sharing with the other females quietly. While she didn't exactly want to share the den with the females, it was a step towards her acceptance into the pack, so it was a good thing, though she trusted Baraek and enjoyed his company, and the other females really only tolerated her at this point, or at least that was the impression she got when they looked at her.

Uhfred

• Sip
She chuckled softly. "You being in trouble rather than me doesn't make it much better..." she admitted quietly. "Do you think he will do anything about it?

"I doubt it. Me being his only surviving son and his weakening health makes me taking over a very real possibility, and while I don't think he'd complain about passing the torch or dying, I think he'd prefer to avoid any sort of schism or major disagreements in the pack. The most I suspect he'll do is tell me to do better and leave it at that."

There was a reason behind putting the women in the shelter. Aside from simply being gentlemanly, they were the ones who'd bear the new pups, so they needed to be protected more than the men did. Because even of all but one man died, they could still repopulate, they'd need to get outside females eventually but that wasn't a problem.

He smiled at the dimming twilight. "Let's get some food in you. Then you'll be going to sleep. We have another ogre hunt ahead of us. From what I understand, we'll be gathering one den for each male and the females will be dispersed among them."

• Scared
"I doubt it. Me being his only surviving son and his weakening health makes me taking over a very real possibility, and while I don't think he'd complain about passing the torch or dying, I think he'd prefer to avoid any sort of schism or major disagreements in the pack. The most I suspect he'll do is tell me to do better and leave it at that."

She nodded softly at his words. Hopefully he was right, she did not want to see him hurt, neither physically or emotionally should he have to over throw his father. She didn't think his father would be any match for him, but she could be wrong.

"Let's get some food in you. Then you'll be going to sleep. We have another ogre hunt ahead of us. From what I understand, we'll be gathering one den for each male and the females will be dispersed among them."

She turned her sapphire eyes to him as she pondered his words. There were 9 females and 6 males... which meant obviously some would get more than one female, she nodded softly, the idea didn't bother her as it was needed for the pack, but she was curious how they would figure all that out. Her eyes tore from him and fell on the alpha... he would likely get multiples, and first pick, the idea made her stomach sink. She was fresh blood to this pack, would that mean she was first, or last choice she wondered. The idea of her snuggling against any of the other males, other than Baraek made her uncomfortable deep down but she said nothing. She doubted she would have much say in who she went to. She smiled weakly at him, changing the uncomfortable subject.

"Something to eat sounds good..." she said absently.

Uhfred

• Nervous
"Something to eat sounds good..." she said absently.

He heard the change in her tone. "Are you okay? Is something bothering you?"

It had crossed his mind that this pack would become polygamous, it already allowed for several mates but now it was basically guaranteed to happen. But he was not worried about the alpha taking any, he was past his prime, past the point of making strong children, he likely wouldn't take any, which made the ratio five to nine, which meant all but one male got two mates if dispersed evenly.

• Thoughtful
"Are you okay? Is something bothering you?"

Shs smiled lightly and shook her head as she dropped her muzzle under his, nudging him lightly before stepping away so they could get some food.

"I am good" she said softly as she looked around quietly, tail wagging slowly. She was in no place to make requests of the pack, and she would go to whom ever they deemed she should be bred with, without argument. She knew so little about pack life still, but she knew that they'd do what was best for the pack as a whole.

The idea of sharing her mate with another did not bother her in the slightest, she just hoped she would feel more like a part of the pack by the time that happened. She had no doubt, being forced to den with the other females would be good for her, she would need to get to know them and couldn't hide under Baraek's wing forever, though, she did quite like it under his wing.

Uhfred

• Cry
"I am good" she said softly as she looked around quietly, tail wagging slowly

She wasn't a very good liar, but he didn't press the matter. A hand was rested on his shoulder when he started to follow, it was time for his talk with the alpha.

He joined her a bit later, and began to eat with her.

• Bless
Seph had turned away to look to the den again and when she turned her eyes back to Baraek his father had come up behind him and put a hand on his shoulder and they walked away, leaving Seph alone, though in the view of the others. Her ears twisted to rest against her skull for a moment, nervously before they stood back up and she wandered to the females silently.

Against her instincts she headed into the group, trying to seem as self assured as possible. She kept her ears up and her tail wagging as she walked to them. She got odd glances at first, likely due to how she sat on her knees as usual, but she quickly integrated herself into the group, forcing herself to step out of her comfort zone for sure, but happy with the results as Baraek came back.

He sat, and began to eat with her, she gave him a sideways glance and smiled lightly, trying to keep the strong persona up for all the other wolves around them though the sight of him again soothed her senses and warmed her inwardly. She offered him a large chunk of meat as she scooted a little closer to him, trying to make the movement go unnoticed by the other females who all seemed to have a bit of thing for the "future alpha."

"You good?" she asked softly

Uhfred

• Popcorn
He respectfully declined the extra meat. He had his own and there was plenty left, so there wasn't any need to share. He did let her know he appreciated the gesture though.

He had very little clue that any of the females had a "thing" for him, he might be able to spot lies or recognise when someone was upset, but realising someone's affections was no skill of his. Besides, it was only a probability that he'd be the alpha at some point, not a guarantee.

But none of that was a concern then and there, right then, they just ate.

• Thoughtful