Private Tales Into The Shadows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
With silent steps, Kaige breached the bloody doorway, sliding sideways so the dripping blood did not hit his head. In the small room beyond there was a open hatch in the floor. He turned to Rou and smiled a wry smile.

“How do you kill it? You hit it until it's dead. Follow after me.” With that, he slid through the hatch.

The underground passageway was built not as a sewer line, but as a sort of enlarged war bunker. Once, perhaps, it might have been clean and organized. Now, time and disuse had turned it into a wet, rotten hideaway for rats, worms, and insects. The earth underfoot squelched, and the walls were slick with mud and condensation. It was dark. Kaige paused to let his eyes adjust.

There were no directions or map available here, but that was not a problem. There was only one way to go. Readying his spear, Kaige crept deeper into the earth.

It was not long before they came upon the bodies. Barely recognizable and human, the four corpses were ripped and torn, tortured beyond belief. The mouths were open in silent screams, and a set of weapons, a spear and sword, were thrown to the side, stained with a black ochre. Kaige shook his head as he bent to inspect the bodies. He couldn't put a name to any of them, but two of them were clothed in damaged armor. Obviously the warriors who had intended to help and never came back.

When Kaige stood, there came the sound of snarling, crunching, and a low hiss, all at once. A strange glow emanated ahead, a purple light that reeked of evil. Kaige clenched his teeth as he glanced sharply at Rou.

“Last change to leave. Are you ready?”

((Sorry for the long wait, health got compromised))

"Until its dead?" Rou thought demons were already dead....hells, what had she gotten herself into?

She followed Kaige down the hatch and most likely to her certain death but she stayed close by and when the stench of dead bodies hit her, Rou had to fight ever urge to threw up.

Next came an unnatural sound that sent shivers down her spine.

"No going back now," she replied, her voice as steady as possible. Rou rolled her shoulders as if getting rid of the feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She was ready for a fight.

Kaige Severos

Again the sound came, sending eerie echoes throughout the halls and rooms. Once last time, Kaige looked at Rou and nodded, just once. The look in his green eyes was hard and final, a far cry from the smiling, humored man she had come to know. When he spoke, his voice carried with it the authority of someone not to be disobeyed.

“I always assume I will die. So. When I fall… run.” He turned from her, shifting his grip on his spear. Carefully he stepped over the bodies of his peers, making not a sound save for the faint sloshing of water as he slid to the slanting entryway of the chamber where the demon dwelt. He pressed himself against the wall tilting his head to peer inside.

What he saw would have made any lesser man scream.

It was a mass of grotesque ropes, made of leathery skin and sinewy muscle, extending throughout the room like the arms of some distorted starfish. Longer, thinner, more numerous, and covered with fanged mouths, they chewed on the legs and arms of its latest victim. From these mouths came the hissing and crunching, crushing bone and tearing flesh. Other mouths of these monstrous cords were empty, but spoke words of a demonic language Kaige could not comprehend. Their voices were hollow and haunting and filled with malice.

In the center of all the twisting limbs swayed a figure, black as pitch, vaguely humanoid with arms and legs from which those limbs grew. In the center of its malformed head was the only eye it possessed, a small slit in the center of its black body, yet bright as a burning ember in the center of night. It was from this eye that the violet light radiated.

This was not a simple demon. This was a monster conjured from the depths of the deepest hell.

Above it was a glowing crimson circle. It burned with its own light that fought against the demon’s own. The gateway.

Kaige wasted no time.

Rou had seen how fast he was, back when they had first met. She had seen nothing. Like a whipcrack he burst from the hallway, blasting toward the demon, faster than any spell could be cast, his spear slashing through the air in a dozen silver strokes, severing several limbs as they squirmed in surprise. The demon shrieked in rage, the words those deformed mouths spoke turning into earsplitting screams that seemed more annoyed than pained.

All the arms struck at Kaige, and he twisted and turned, striking out with his pear. Limbs fell around him and like a hydra more appeared in its place.

One limb found an opening and lashed out, catching Kaige in the side. He was thrown back into the hall, crashing and rolling against the ground. He was up in a flash, only to be entangled by another arm. It flung him into a wall and twisted against him, its tiny mouths biting deep into his armor, raking against his skin. His spear flashed once more and the demon screamed. Black ochre-like blood spilled around him as Kaige danced his steps of death, and the demon responded in turn.

alphabunny

• Stressed
Reactions: alphabunny
Everything happened faster the Rou could draw breath. The crunching, the sight of it all and then Kaige firing forward challanging that  thing.

Rou was not certain where to fire her arrow, still doing calculations in her head as to which would be most effient but she took to long and the monster had Kaige and each struggled to over power the other.

Once glance and the mercenary knew where to shoot, the only place that made sense.

She drew a deep breath, pulled back and fired the arrow. Zipping through the air it landed in its eye. Her movements were quick, knocking the second arrow it flew towards the crimson circle and the next to to the demons throat.

Rou did not know if any of these shots would kill the demon or merely be an irritating itch but all she needed was it to be distracted for a split second so Kaige could get free.

Kaige Severos

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Kaige Severos
Cornered by the demon’s multiple arms, Kaige was soon fighting for his life. And though he slew many of those arms and the demon screamed in pain, he was getting tired while the monster never slowed. Sweat ran down his brow as he struggled to keep up with the demon’s deadly assault. His breath became ragged as the demon pressed him closer to the wall.

Then one tendril slipped beneath and under Kaige, seizing an ankle. With one swift pull, Kiage found himself on his back, the tentacle rising and falling hard on his body before he could raise his spear in defense. Bones cracked and split as the arm slammed into his ribs. Kaige screamed – not an unfamiliar sound – and considered his life choices as he gave himself up for lost.

Before he could yell for Rou to run –

ZIP-ZIP

The demon howled as an arrow lodged deep in that glowing, center eye. Light burst everywhere in blinding rays of purple shafts, slamming into the walls, the ceiling, and floor. Where the light struck, stone and mortar broke apart and fell, or exploded up into the air. The limbs fell back from Kaige, and he rolled over, holding a hand to over the bones as he cast the healing spell, fast and hard and desperate. He felt the pain increase as the bones shifted and rearranged then abate as they knit and mended. He looked up as the demon screamed, a second arrow now in its throat.

All the remaining tentacles now flashed towards Rou… much slower, sluggish, and staggering in their formerly fluid movements.

With a second cry, Kaige rushed the opening the demon left. His spear flashed and in an instant the demon’s head was flying through the air. It struck the wounded floor and rolled before suddenly evaporating into streaks of black mist. The flashing light disappeared as the arms fell to the floor as well. The arms that had coiled around Rou in preparation to squeeze her to death, dissipated before they even touched her.

Kaige didn’t waste any time. He looked up at the Infirm gateway, still glowing in the ceiling. He coughed into a hand and whipped left his arm up, flinging the resulting blood into the portal. The runes on his arm pulsed, and flashed with white light, and the glowing gateway vanished.

There was nothing left of the demon then, just a few quickly-evaporating bits of black smog.

Kaige stumbled over to Rou and immediately seized her on a tight hug.

“Gods…“ he gasped. “You saved me. You’re a good shot, Stonewall. Here I thought I was the demon hunter.”

alphabunny

• Cthuulove
Rous arrows had managed to do what she invisioned, the demon weakend.
Kaige seemed to do to his injuries like what he had done to hers that night in the woods.
Now though, she saw it had a new target. Her. She had no idea where to shoot next.

Before Rou was able to fire another shot, Kaige slayed the damned thing and then 'shut down' the light in the ceiling that had simply swallowed her previous arrow.

As the mercinary planned to pick up her other two arrows that were no longer inbeded in the beast and instead clattered to the floor as it dissapeared into smoke she felt strong arms wrap around her in an embrace. Her body awkward and stiff as Kaige hugged her.

"Yeaaaahhh...." She offered him an out of place pat on the back. When he released her she picked up her arrows.

"Well I wouldn't be very good at my job if I sucked. That little scene you saw when we met was just a miscalculation on my part."

With her arrows in hear sheath Rou made her way back to Kaiges side, instinctively wrapping her arm under his and around him for support.

"Now lets go get your money and some food. Then you need to rest." While her voice was calm and unbothered as if this were a part of her daily life, in truth she was concerned. The demon hunter had not looked good when they first crossed paths and she was sure he would need to heal properly after this little battle.

Kaige Severos

Only with Rou’s help did Kaige make it back to the sewer entrance and the blood-caked doorway. There were a few town guards there, seeming readying themselves to help in the excursion to the downed demon. Kaige collapsed in front of them, and was only dimly aware as several strong arms carried him to a small infirmary at another edge of the town and was heaved onto a rough bed. Voices, then something vile was poured down his throat, and a deep sleep carried him away.

Odd dreams occupied Kaige’s sleep. No nightmares – he never had them anymore – just bizarre scenes of archers firing at stone walls that turned into squirrels scurrying around until bursting into a rain of gold coins. Somehow, it all made perfect sense. It was a restful sleep otherwise, once the painkillers kicked in and staved off the fever threatening to take hold.

It was nighttime, quiet and still, when Kaige final awoke after long, uncounted hours of recuperation. His armor had been stripped off, leaving him in only his plain tunic and breeches, and his wounds wrapped up in fresh bandages. He tried immediately to rise, an act at which every muscle rebelled. He fell back with a groan.

He felt like shit. It took him a few moments to remember why.

“I… really need to find a better healing spell,” he murmured.

• Cthuloo
When Rou and Kaige exited the building and found guards waiting for them, she was beyond relief. Then Kaige collapsed and for some reason she found herself filled with anxiety.

From the building to the infermory Rou never left his side, even once he had been admitted. After he had been patched up and the medics confirmed he was in a stable state she finally let herself fall into a state of sleep.

The following morning she woke up to the early morning sun peering through the windows. Whilst the nurses washed him and changes his bandages she went to get herself something to eat, returning a few hours before he woke.

When Kaige woke up it would be Rou dabbing his forehead with a damp cloth.
"You need to rest," Her face was for once, soft but the concern was obvious.

"I brought you some milk." Rou got up from her place on the edge of his matress and brought the glass over.

"How do you feel? Besides the obvious of course..." The prickly exterior he was used to had melted away in the his small room. A nurse had given her a simple white dress and her normally wild hair had been braided back, showing the large slash in her left ear that she had obtained years ago.

Kaige Severos

Surprised, Kaige accepted the glass of milk. Carefully managing to sit up again, he took a small sip, as he wasn’t sure he could handle the rich goat milk most farmsteads favored. To his relief, it was cow milk, fresh and light. He took a second, longer swallow and smiled at Rou in such a way it was as if they hadn’t just been fighting for their lives.

To be honest, Kaige hadn’t expected to wake up to company. His work usually sent him out to isolated ruins, lonely sewers, and abandoned settlements, where he completed the assignment alone and passed out with little more than his horse watch over him, waiting until he woke. It was the same horse he’d expected Rou to make off with. Instead, here she was.

It was a wonderful feeling to have, to feel like someone cared.

“A little bruised, but fine otherwise,” he said. His smile faded. “I’m sorry to have dragged you into my fight.I made a grave misjudgment and it could have killed us both.” A short silence followed. His eyes took in her dress and hair, even the scar, and he smiled again.

“You look pretty.” He took another draft of the milk and sighed contentedly before looking at Rou again. “Well, it looks like my job is done around here. Where do you plan to go? If you need a horse, I think I can buy you one… as long as you promise not to get into too much trouble,” he grinned, winking slyly.

alphabunny

"Thank you," Rou spoke softly as she rinsed out the rag in a nearby basin and hung it on a nail. "You look better then you did a couple hours ago as well."

As Kaige asked what her plan was moving forward, the half-elf brought over a stool and placed it next to his bed where she would take a seat.

With her hands on her lap all she could do was shrug as the pondered her next move. "Well now I can add assistant demon hunter to my list of skills it might help me boost my reputation," she teased in an attempt to keep Kaiges mind off the pain she assumed still ran through his body.

"While I wait for things to go calm down in Alleria I thought of stopping over in the Shallows and catching a ride on a ship. Get out of the region for a while you know? And don't worry 'bout a horse, these bad boys have served me well." She lifted her skirt slightly to wiggle her surprisingly bare toes, which were normally covered by an old pair of leather boots she always wore.

A moment of silence fell over the pair once more before Rou spoke again, her gaze focused on the floor this time as she made her offer, "You could uh.." She cleared her throat, "come with me while you wait for another job?" Her head tilting ever so slightly in his direction as she asked.

Normally Rou Stonewall was a one women show but thought of have Kaige as a companion, all be it for a short while, was not as off putting as she would expect.

Kaige Severos

Finishing the milk, Kaige set it on the dresser next to the bed and eased back down on his back. Not an easy task; his muscles tremored with the movement and he was sore everywhere. Any other man would have been set to weeping. But Kaige was a Demon Hunter, and had learned to live with and tolerate pain to a great extend indeed. He did not fear pain any more than he feared death. It was all part of the job, and though thankless as it was, he still managed a smile and a laugh.

You have a reputation?” he grinned.

Rou made her offer, and one brow lifted in surprise. It was the last thing he expected, her inviting him along without prodding. But before he could answer –

Tap tap

Tap tap tap

There was a small dark shape against the window, set on the opposite wall of the bed. Kaige looked up and then at Rou. “Could you open that up, please?”

Once the shutters were thrown back, the raven flew in. Smaller than others of its kind, it was still a fine specimen, sleek and with a clever look to its black eyes. It landed lightly on the side of the bed, croaking once as it hopped close to Kaige. Kaige lifted a hand, petting the corvid’s head as it presented a foot. Tied there with a piece of colored ribbon was a piece of paper and small stick of graphite.

Without hesitation Kaige released the raven of its burden and, with a somewhat unsteady hand, managed to write.

Sorin/Flieron – ex

D - S, KS

C requ.

He rolled the paper up and the raven patiently waited as he clumsily tied the paper back to its leg, flipping the ribbon over to white from red. The raven was then gone, flying through the window and disappearing into the distance.

“My employers,” Kaige said apologetically to Rou. “Don’t ask me how they find me; I don’t know.” He tilted his head as she had and smiled. “If you’re willing to wait until I’m better… I’ll gladly accompany you on your trip. I might not be long around, depending on work. But you know. Can’t leave pretty ladies like yourself wandering around a place like the Shallows alone, hmm?”

"I'm one of the best in the business Mister Severos," she teased.

Rou was surprised by the raven knocking on the window wanting to join their company. On Kaiges request she would open for the winged creature, curious of the message it brought and even more so of his reply.

Leaning against the window she had opened she waited for to finish writing and the bird to flee the way it had came, shutting the opening behind it.

My employers,” Kaige said apologetically to Rou.
Aah,
Rou understood now. Though it intrigue her how they had managed to find him so easily in the little hole they would be occupying for likely another few nights.

"I don't mind the wait, it'll give me a chance to get some things for the road and see if any one in the area has some work for me though." Not that they would pay the same as those in larger cities, here she would probably just threaten a rival or a wifes unwanted lover.

"You're right in that, the shallows are no place for a lady. I would know." She smirked, her expression insinuating there was a little more to the story mercenary now come to share as yet.

Pushing herself off the wall, Rou walked across the room and open the door to walk out. Hand still on the handle she looked at Kaige before leaving, "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get out of this damned dress and go round up some food."

With a wink she shut the door behind her.

Kaige Severos

Smiling to himself, Kaige leaned back once more on the bed. The smile contorted into a grimace as a sudden bolt of pain wracked his body, reminding him of the day before and assuring him he wouldn’t be moving much for the rest of the day. The thought of being confined to the bed was an uneasy one; although he couldn’t recall any enemies hunting for him, he hated being immobile and unable to help others if trouble arrived…

… for Rou.

While the mercenary was clearly able to care for herself, as shown by her exemplary performance against the demon, Kaige worried about the unidentified pursuers from Alliria. He hoped the ones who had given her that wounded leg had given up chasing her by now, or assumed she was dead. That injury was meant to kill through infection, if not to permanently maim and leave her handicapped for life.

Kaige sighed, closing his eyes as he waited for some food. Quite unintentionally, he fell fast asleep, and wouldn’t rouse for quite some time.

Two days passed before Kaige was well enough to be allowed a full meal and out of the bed. It was a relatively quick recovery; of course, Kaige’s honed body was a fast healer, aided by very small doses of the mending spell he cast when no one was around. During this time, the barkeeper had paid him back and more for the job, and the village moved from deathly quiet to the bustling farming center it had been before. The raven had arrived and gone again, and had carried with it a letter that said just one thing.

Granted.

On the third day, Kaige was up, freshly washed and dressed in the new tunic and slacks given to him by a grateful woman whose primary job was weaving uncommonly nice clothes. The lavender hues and black slacks made his green eyes stand out as he arranged his armor, unlocking and fastening buckles and straps in a complex order. It came apart in segments, leaving him with a simple chest plate and greaves. The rest folded neatly into a normal-looking pack.

He waited for Rou to make her daily visit. He looked good, felt good, and was read, at last, to move.

alphabunny

• Smug
Rou has spent the past few days doing odd jobs here and there for some extra coin. Between her visits each day to Kaige and harping on the nures for more in depth information on her new companions state she had managed so scare off a local trouble maker with the help of a sharp edged friend and an old farmer do some heavy lifting.

When the sun rose on the pairs third morning in the village Rou was already up and dressed in her normal white tunic, leather pants, her trusty old boots and a leather vest. She managed to organize with the barkeep for free boarding until Kaige got better by helping him out in the evenings.
As had become routine she walked the small ways over to the infirmary where the dark haired demon slayer was being cared for, on her way checking in on that stupid horse of
his, making and attempt to win it over with carrots each visit.

"Good morning," Opening the door to his room, Rou expected him to still be asleep in bed. Instead she was greated by his handsome presance up and seemingly ready to hit the road. "Oh, you're looking much better."
The half-elf offered him a small smile as she washed her hands in a bowl next to his table.

Kaige Severos

Leaning against the bed, Kaige greeted Rou with his own winning smile. He felt healthy once more – even invigorated. It was amazing how much one’s mood changed with the body’s condition. While Kaige was far from dour and gloomy, he was still no exception to cause and effect. He straightened as Rou washed her hands, smoothing back his hair before stretching his arms.

“Still alive, thanks to you,” he chuckled. He looked her up and down. “You look good yourself. The healers mentioned you were doing some work. I hope they didn’t push you too hard, demon slayer,” he grinned.

He walked to an open window, looking out over the village. Traders and merchants from other towns and cities had returned, as well as people who had fled from before. In the center of the town, empty before, there were stalls selling all manner of things. Fresh vegetables and fruits as well as cloth and various brass goods were displayed. There was even a jeweler selling copper necklaces and the odd silver piece.

The air was clean as he breathed it in, with the sounds of welcoming business with it. He hoped it would stay as such for a long time.

The Shallows aren’t too far from here,” he finally said, turning back to his hero. “If I can still come with you, we can stock up on some provisions and get going. Unless you changed your mind?” he smiled again. He wandered over to the other side of the room where his spear rested against a wall, shiny and looking like new; one of the town’s guards had cleaned and polished it. “I must warn you. I can be unbearable at times.”

alphabunny

"Nothing I can't handle, haven't done some honest labour in a while." She replied in regards to her doing some work around town.

Wondering over to the window she looked around. "Its strange to think just a couple days ago this place was a ghost town and all you had to do was almsot die to give it life, rather ironic." Rou mused.

"Then we can leave for The Shallows as soon as we've stocked up. I do need another napsack, had to abandon my last one." The mercenary jiggled her coin purse.

"Im just glad I don't owe you a debt anymore so if you die now, sorry to see but you're on your own Mister Severos and as for being unbearable, I can be quite frustrating myself." Shutting the window they had been observing the once again lively village, Rou headed out of the infirmary.

"How about we stop by Stormwind first? I'm certain that horse will be happy to see a face other then mine."

Kaige Severos

Strapping the spear to his back, Kaige only shook his head at Rou’s remark about her debt. “You never owed me anything, Stonewall. Going around expecting people to take and receive debts every day leads only to disappointment.” While Kaige was almost always compensated well for his time, holding people in debt when they needed his skills was selfish.

He followed Rou down the stairs and through the rough but clean infirmary, passing other healers along the way. They all paused to examine him and ensure he was well enough to be up, some of them thanking Rou for the labor she had done. Kaige smiled and thanked them all in turn for their work in caring for him. While he meant every word of gratitude, Kaige felt rather awkward and it was a relief when they were let alone and could greet his horse in the stables. Horses were easier to deal with than humans.

Despite the dispelled depression of the stable boy, the horse had been well-cared for, and Stormwind’s coat was glossy and the mane brushed to a sheen, with every burr and stray pebble cleaned out of the hooves. The stallion snorted and neighed as it saw Kaige and Rou approach. Nosing over Kaige’s body, it inspected Kaige first before turning its attention to Rou, sniffing over her in search of a treat.

“I can see you’ve made a new friend,” Kaige grinned as he stroked Stormwind’s mane. After they had saddled the horse, Kaige led the way out.

Most of the restocking could be done in the village center, and Kaige loaded up on cheese, flatbread, and dried meats, as well as other preserved foods that could last a long time out of storage. Ration bars made of compressed meat and fruit, sweetened with honey, made up his emergency meals. Water was filled from the community’s public well and attached to Stormwind’s saddle. Lastly, a knapsack was sold by a tanner nearby.

Almost everything Kaige paid for. “Let me cover this time.” he said. “It’s not like I don’t have a lot of money on hand now anyway.”

A jeweler called out to them as they were on their way out, and Kaige politely stopped by her booth. The stall was filled with adornments of gold and silver, set with gems that sparkled in the sunlight. There were rings and amulets, charms for luck and fortune, necklaces richly embellished with garnets, and more.

“Want anything?” Kaige asked as he looked over the wares. “I doubt there’ll be a lot of this in the Shallows. May as well take advantage. Just don’t wear it out in the open where we’re going.”

alphabunny

• Sip
As Stormwind had expected when seeing Rou, she gave him a small suger cube out of her pocket as she had religiously the past few days before he was lead out of the stables. "Yes well, I could not let him think he was abandoned."

The pair wondered through the square and while Kaige stocked up on food Rou stopped by a stall where a blacksmith was selling some pre-made items. Lifting an arrow she heald the tip close to her eye, examining its sharpness before placing down some coin and buying five more.

Wandering around some more she paused at an alchamists table and took her time reading the inscription of different creams before purchasing two small tubs with black contents on the inside. "Ye know wha' this stuff is for Miss?"
"Yes, thank you." The seller offered her a knowing look as she paid and went on her way.

Once her and Kaige stopped at the jeweler Rous eyes caught almost immediatly on a small, dainty locket on an even smaller chain. The locket itself was engraved with fine roses intertwining in each other.

Pulling her gaze away she examined the rest. A beautiful anklet with what looked like small rubbies dangeling on the edge, an amulet with a black stone in said to preserve one from an untimely death, "Maybe you should invest in such a charm." She teased Kaige.

Kaige Severos

After checking the food he had bought, Kaige also stopped by the alchemist, looking over the creams, salves, and a variety of special plants. A few moments deliberation, and he purchased a few packets of painkilling herbs and a bottle of antibacterial cream. Lifting an eyebrow, the alchemist offered him a solution made to heal scars, but Kaige declined. He gave Rou a curious look as she made her own purchase, though he said nothing. For all he could surmise, they could be poison and, he silently reasoned, perhaps he’d rather not know.

At the jewelers, Kaige smirked at Rou’s jibe. “Who was about to die from a wounded leg?” he returned. “Here,” he said to the grinning jeweler, fishing out a few gold coins. “I’ll take that.”

It was pricey, but Kaige was rich, and he handed over the required coins without a flinch. He turned and handed it to Rou. “Put it on, Demon Slayer,” he ordered with a smile. “You never know what could happen. Oh, and… this, too,” he said paying for and picking up the comely locket. Rou’s interest had no escaped his acute attention. “A gift. Thanks for saving my life, Stonewall.”

When they reached the wooden gates heralding the end of the village grounds, Kaige pulled himself on to Stormwind’s back and offered a hand to Rou. “It’ll be a ride, but like I said, it’s not that far.” Stormwind broke into a trot almost immediately, having been bored at the stables. Kaige, too, had been bored staring at the walls of infirmary, and was already enjoying the outdoors.

“Tell me again,” Kaige ventured after a few moments of silence, “what’s your business at The Shallows? Do I want to know the details?” he asked rhetorically. “I actually think I do. You’ve never failed to be interesting, Rou.”

alphabunny

• Sip
Rou had never expected Kaige to buy her the anklet nor the necklace. While she did not let it show, gratitude filled her heart. It had been a very long time since she had recived a gift, even one that was a token of thanks.
She did however let out a laugh at his demon slayer comment but mostly, Rou found herself taken a back that he paid for both without a second thought or adding up the amount of coin he had in his head before buying something as the she had done for as long as she remebered.

As Kaige mounted Stormwind, Rou took a beat to put on her new gifts. Giving the horse a sideways as if almost saying "Don't get any funny ideas." The half breed placed on hand against the steeds side for balance and with the other took off her boot and put the anklet around the very leg Kaige had saved. Boot back on she took the locket out her pocket and clipped it around her neck before hiding it beneath her blouse.

"Alright, I'm ready to go," taking Kaiges hand she hoisted herself onto the saddle. Ready for the journey. When he asked her what she planned on doing in The Shallows however, Rous deminor changed, her body stiffined slightly and with a quipt tone she replied to him, "I grew up there."

And for the time being, thats all he would be getting out of her on the subject before their arrival.

Kaige Severos

Curiosity itched at Kaige’s mind, but he did not press Rou for more information. By her brusque tone he could tell questions would not be answered, nor well received. So, with a resigned shrug of his shoulders, he urged Stormwind on down a worn path that would lead them to The Shallows. The horse broke into a light canter, nickering as it shook of the fatigue of a long rest.

It was a pleasant ride for the most part; the land was green and vibrant with plants and wildlife springing up around them. They passed a herd of wild horses grazing the fields, as well as a farm or two taking advantage of the rich soil, yielding crops and feeding cattle, pigs, and chickens. Overhead a lonely hawk or eagle soared, searching for their next meal. Occasionally, other travelers passed by Kaige and Rou, sometimes a lone wanderer with pack horses, sometimes a carriage carting goods to be sold at the next settlement. More than once they smiled with a knowing yet misinformed wink at Kaige. Fortunately, none of them seemed to know Rou.

Early evening was encroaching as The Shallows came into sight, and the land turned into a wet marshland where the waters varied in length and depth. Planks lined the city inside and out, and even a few barges could be seen drifting down watery routes. The buildings, built of white stone and contrasting dark wood, tended to sport brightly colored banners and flags, a garish flare that seemed to clash with a the city’s overall tone – a mysterious, quiet sort of aura that told Kaige that while the city was not known for its crime level, there was yet a level of care to be taken when entering and staying.

Two guards nodded at them at the lightly gated entrance as Kaige dismounted Stormwind, giving the normal, professional, impersonal smile warranted to all visitors. Kaige gave them a wave as they passed into the city, still busy with business and various activity. The smells of fish and fruit washed over them, mingling with that of dyes and many kinds of fabrics sewn into banners and scarves, which more and more seemed to be a popular product here. The sun had not yet reached the horizon, but the cast of the coming twilight filled the sky with deepening colors of mauve and streaking reds.

“Hmm,” Kaige said noncommittally, his eyes taking in the city. For some reason, he felt on edge. “Well, where to, Rou? Is it like you left it?”

alphabunny

A familiar smell in the air hit Rous senses almost the minute the pair entered the city gates. The smell of home, a place she had not been in a over a year and a half - the timing had just never been right.
Nothing had seemed to change though, the same banners and flags flew in the wind, though a little more tatted now. Some vendors had changed, replaced most likely by their children or younger family members but the products remained the same.

"Almost as if I never left." She let out a deep sigh, "take a right here and I'll direct you from there."

And that she did, Rou led them down some larger roads and a couple side allies, the deeper they went however... the worse their surroundings got.

There were more wooden then stone houses now, most of their walls covered in rot and occasionally roof that seemed to be caving in. As they went through this particular area, Rou had kept her head low and voice low - only ever speaking to tell Kaige when to change directions.

Eventually they passed through and more sturdy structures started popping up again. They had reached the docks and upon doing so Rous mood seemed to lighten abit.

"Here." She pointed to a pub labeled 'The Herring' , "Theres a post you can tie Stormwind to aswell."