Completed Human Cargo

Cassidy Ackerson

The Scarlet Bird
Character Biography
Link
Gods be right damned, this stung like nobody's business.

He musta been in the rusty metal cage for at least a week now, his hands and legs bound with some seriously hardy rope and his body curled up on the rocky floor of the cave he was imprisoned in. He'd been trekking through a snug little valley at the base of a mountain, not really headed towards anywhere in particular. That's the kind of person Cassidy Ackerson was, after all; He didn't like living with a destination. Maybe that's why he wasn't too torn up with a band of raiders that had been camping up on the slopes started beelining towards him.

Granted, he coulda fought em'. He'd probably have busted a few heads too, but there were too many of the guys for him to handle, and he had come quietly. They'd bound him and tossed him in this cage, tucked neatly into the back of the cave they used for storage. At least, that's what the barrels and crates told him. At least they'd had the decency to feed him, if you could consider bread scraps and a half-cup of water a meal. He wasn't worried about himself though. He was worried about the rest of his things; They'd taken the only valuable he had: His sword, Damascus. It was all he had left of his home, and he'd be damned if he was going to rot in here and let them sell it off to some collector.

On a brighter note, his cat Mar had gotten away. She'd been a stray that Cassidy had picked up about half a year ago, and he was awfully fond of the black tabby now. Of course, the raiders had no interest in a feline anyways.

A rustling at the mouth of the cave broke him out of his thoughts.

One of the raiders, his body coated with a thin layer of dirt and his outfit composed of poached furs, hobbled into the cave with a small wooden plate of bread scraps and a cup of water. Ah 'twas Olaf, as he'd taken to calling the gent, his personal steward.

"Olaf! Wonderful to see you in good spirits today! Yesterday you tripped on the incline into the cave didn't you? Did that boo-boo heal up?"

"Olaf" opened the cage he was tied in, and wasted no time in delivering a swift kick to Cassidy's ribs, forcing all of the air out of his lungs and making him curl up tighter. "Oof-uck! Okay... point made." He coughed. The plate of scraps was placed where his face rested, so that he would have to eat without his hands. The cup of water was a similar story; He had to be creative with it.

It didn't look like Olaf was done with him though; He was already drawing his foot back for another kick when a loud sound rang out from outside. Olaf turned, and Cassidy stretched his body to try and peek out of the cave mouth. Gods, this floor was wet. He could feel it seeping through his jacket and shirt. He was sure he had dirt in his fire red hair as well.

"Olaf." Cassidy muttered, "Aren't you gonna go help your buddies out?"

Olaf raced out of the cave to investigate, not bothering to close the cage, which Cassidy now made an attempt to squirm out of. What on earth was going on out there? it sounded like a fight...

Gahesznem

Last edited:
  • Dab
Reactions: Gahesznem
Gnolls were often seen as a people of 'uncivilised' culture. Savage as animals, yet 'intelligent' enough to at least use rudimentary, crude tools for butchering people.
For they, the gnolls; were not builders of culture, nor could they sustain themselves.
They were pests, robbers, raiders, bandits and many things far worse than these.

Awful falsehoods.
---

As a handmaid, Gahesznem preferred to work with delicate tasks like infusing hibiscus petals in bathing water for her pharaoh's delicate star-speckled, dark fur. However, such work on luxury was incredibly shortlived.
The moment word spread that the gnolls settled in the many-stringed river, life-giver of all on the western side of the Seret mountains; bandit activity rose.
Was it from the idea that the gnolls would ransack the villages of the fertile valley to such an extent that none would be left behind for them?
Likely.
Though one key of information was missing. Select villages of the fertile valley were under the protection of the gnoll kingdom.
And since all its thin-stretched general-matriarchs were busy quelling the banditry, the rest of the workers of the kingdom had to pick up pace as well.

Gahesznem was now among them, leading a troop of 15 lesser striped warriors, with their war-mohawks proudly erect and 5 greater spotted hyenas, who cackled in anticipation of battle.
A few hours trek up the slopes would soon bring fruit. A scout appeared before Gahesznem, pointing behind a mountain turn.
»There, a cave with light. I've seen them ferry in people in binds.«

Gahesznem pursed her lips. »O my warriors, pray to Mighty Djeru so that our battle in fervour will entertain the gods. May our victory be blessed, may our charge in auspice be freed. «

The troop began to creep towards the hideout. On the way, twisting the neck of one such bandit set to overwatch.
Cassidy Ackerson

• Love
Reactions: Cassidy Ackerson
Cassidy had managed to squirm out of the cage, still bound at his wrists and ankles. Whatever this gang was off looking at, he had to make his escape quickly, before they decided to come check on him. Even so, there wasn't much that he could manage with his bindings still on, so he'd need to think quickly...

The latch to the open cage door was rather sharp, and if nothing else could cut this rope, he'd be willing to bet metal might be able to pull that trick off. Tucking his legs in, he rolls onto his knees, he uses the cave wall for leverage and hoists himself carefully up onto his knees. The latch was within reach now, but he'd need to lurch backwards into it if he wanted to snag his bindings on it.

Thrusting his back towards the metal latch, he feels the cold edge catch on the rope that held his wrists together, and the jagged edges scraping roughly against his skin. He winces, the idea of cutting his arms up in the process wasn't appealing; He'd need to be careful. Slowly, he moves himself up and down, bouncing off of his knees to saw the latch against his bindings until they finally snapped, freeing his arms.

He takes a moment to rub at both of his wrists, skin angry and red with the abrasive material used on it. "Next time, I'll ask for silk bindings."

Reaching down and unbinding his ankles with his now free arms, he springs to his feet with a sigh of relief. No, he wasn't out of the woods yet, he thought to himself as he picked up his jacket that they'd tossed aside when they brought him in and slid it back over his shoulders. He needed to find Damascus, and Mar.

He rushed out of the cave with these goals in mind, now increasingly curious as to what was keeping his captors so busy.

Gahesznem

• Dab
Slowly, closer...closer and closer the gnolls marched onward. And a sudden silence went into a fray of battle within a heartbeat.

Were they confused? As brutes hailed down on them with maces and axes? Each hit pounding down shields and denting armour as if they were brittle nature neath an avalanche?
Mighty Djeru witness us!
As the striped mohawk-bearers moved like water-bearing sickles in their dance of destruction?
Their curved blades slicing cloth and tendons alike.
Mighty Djeru see us!
And for when a weapon did not suffice, a bite was just as deadly.
Reinforcements came to no avail as if a meatgrinder stood before the cave entrance, and when body piled over another, the rest of the raiders deemed their life more sacred than their despoiled and pilfered prey.

Gahesznem stood pleased over the carnage. Even though they were ruthless in battle, there was still a delicate nature to her movement as she closed the eyes of one of the fallen raiders.
»Lie you now, rest in the land of the forbidden one, may your soul once find redemption. May it guide your way back to Basaph, gentle mother of us all.«

As further steps echoed out of the cave, the gnolls paid him no mind, for only a single man came out, bearing no arms but the ones gifted to him by his mother.

»Are you here to join them? « Quearied Gahesznem, as she eyed the man.

Cassidy had been worried about the idea of fighting without Damascus at his side. His blade was an extension of himself, and he wasn't comfortable without that shining steel close at his side. If he was being honest, he wasn't much of a fighter if he didn't have the blade he'd trained with since his youth, and he doubted he'd be doing much of anything but being thrown back into his cage if he walked out in a crowd of raiders.

He could never have guessed what he'd see when the light of day met his eyes.

He wasn't sure what they were at first, the dog like creatures that stood tall over the bodies of his captors. The bore armor and shields, and wielded their weapons as well as any military he'd seen in the wealthy cities of Arethil, and the long stripes of hair atop their heads gave them the appearance of a force almost tribal in nature. He steps out further, raising his feet to stride over the bodies that littered the mountain side in the wake of their campaign. He'd only heard of these creatures, and the stories he'd been told... they didn't match what he was seeing.

He'd always been told that gnolls were ferocious wild animals, simple and incapable of higher thought beyond their next meal. Indeed, most accounts would call them a nuisance on par with any other infestation.

That's what was confusing him most now. These gnolls weren't eating their kills. Instead, they seemed satisfied with the knowledge of their victory, paying the red-headed man no mind as he looked around the chaotic remnants. He felt a tug at his pants, and looked down to see Mar climbing up his leg to hide in his jacket. Good, she was okay.

He heard one of the creatures speak to him, and he turned to face them with an understandably wary expression. This one was different; They spoke softly, and they kneeled beside one of the dead, as if paying respect.

"I don't think I want to be where they are now, thank you very much." He crosses his arms, leaning to one side and looking his savior over. "I was being held prisoner in one of the caves, managed to sneak away when you and your buddies caused a ruckus." He brushed some hair from his face and hummed. "You're gnolls, aren't you? You lot saved me from a tough spot. You deserve more than what your reputation offers you."

Gahesznem

• Bless
With a flick of her fingers, scouts entered the cave to scour either for loot or other prisoners. Some of the populace may have been taken by this group of bandits as well.
How much ransom could impoverished farmers with burned huts even pay? Still struck with grief over the loss of love and sustenance.
Such shame.

What a gaze most gracile, Gahesznem rose part of her skirt, stepping forward and offering Cassidy her furred paw. » Life is good to you, such luck is rare, so I hope you will cherish this day for many years. «

The ill reputation of gnolls was not unheard of to Gahesznem. And already some of her warriors picked up the fallen men to take them back home. So much should be proof of what would happen to the corpses later if anyone had any experience with gnolls most cruel. Perhaps some explaining of this unique situation will do?
» And indeed it is so, we gnoll are kin of man, as Basaph, the hyena mother of us all wed the father of mankind, Khotseti - we are kin. And those men who revere Basaph as their own mother are safe neath our claws and teeth. Do you accept the union most holy that binds us as sister and brother? «

Cassidy woulda been lying through his teeth if he claimed to understand much of what the gnoll said to him. It was odd; He'd been told that it was difficult to discern genders in gnolls, as both males and females looked similar. Contrarily, this one was unquestionably feminine in nature, from her dress to her cadence.

In response to her curtsy, he bows his head slightly and takes her hand in his own, shaking it gently. "Well, the day isn't over yet. I'll see what I think of my luck by the time it's all over." He offered back with a wry grin. Damascus was still missing, and that was a major issue. His new acquaintance was right though; best to be grateful with his own life first and foremost. Things coulda gone badly.

Obviously the drifter didn't know what a Basaph or a Khotseti were, but he nonetheless saw the picture she was painting. This particular group of gnolls were a deal more civilized than the ones you might hear about in a scary bedtime story. He had to give em' credit, faith was something you didn't see to often in Arethil anymore. To see somebody speak with such passion about their beliefs was almost exciting.

"If that's a way of asking if I'm a friend, then yes most definitely. Call me Cassidy. Cassidy Ackerson. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss. Again, I offer you my thanks for giving me the distraction I needed to escape. I owe you a debt."

His gaze however, turns to the scouts entering the caves.

"Hate to ask, but those goons swiped a very precious sword from me. If they come across it, think there's a chance I can get it back?"

Gahesznem

• Yay
Gahesznem nodded her head, as the newly met Cassidy presented himself. »Well met, Cassidy. Call me Gahesznem, hide of the gazelle goddess, handmaid of the Pharaoh, and this is my troop. « Collectively, the gnolls in her presence nodded their heads, some spoke a short greeting as they briefly turned their head to him before diverting attention back to the bodies and loot.
Most would be busy gathering and fastening loot to corpses, then hauling them by the legs as if they were an impromptu sledge.

How many a single greater spotted gnoll could carry was indeed impressive.

»Their spoils make a... payment for our efforts, not enough to repay their damage, still... a single blade will not go unmissed, does it look unique?« Nodded her head Gahesznem, checking Cassidy for an answer.
»If you find it not here before we take our pick, you can search for it back at our homeland.«

He let out a whistle at the strength of the gnolls raw strength. They were certainly not the type of creatures he'd ever want to get in a fight with. Come to think of it, he was lucky that he hadn't gotten mixed up in the fight when he'd wandered out of the cave. If he'd had Damascus on him, they'd probably have assumed he was hostile. A soft mewl is heard beneath Gahesznem and Cassidy, and the red-headed man's head darts down. Sure enough, his feline companion had found her way back to him.

"Mar!" He exclaimed with a grin, squatting down to scoop the black tabby cat up. The creature mewled once more, climbing up onto his shoulders with a contented purr. He runs his hands along her head, then scratches her chin. "Good job getting out of dodge there, buddy."

The feline curled around his neck, narrow eyes settling on the rather elegant looking gnoll in front of them.

"The title suits you, Gahesznem. Forgive my arrogance on your kind, but I never thought I'd get saved by a gnoll, or that it would actually be a rather elegant looking creature. If I may be so bold." He smiles and crosses his arms. "My sword is known as Damascus. It's hard to miss: It's blade is made of a metal as blue as the sky, and it had long silver tendrils that run up it's length."

He had to admit, the prospect of maybe learning more about these creatures was an interesting one. That and he hadn't been able to have a hot bath in what seemed like ages. He was sick washing himself in cold water. Cassidy Ackerson had a certain way he looked at the world: It was a wide open field, open for him to spread his wings and fly to wherever he pleased. Now, fate had laid a path in front of him, daring him to take it.

He was feeling adventerous.

"It'd be a right honor to accompany you and your kin home. I'm a bit of a nomad myself, so I've nowhere to return to."

Gahesznem

• Yay
»Ah, a good-beast. « Gahesznem explained as the furry friend came to view. Didn't they tend to be skittish? What a brave tabby.

»Appearances elude many, now come if you think there is no business to be done here. I believe we are finished gathering. And if you wish to stay and search, the many streams of the mountains conjoin into a river most grand and fertile. Follow it to find us.«
The gnoll then lifted the leg of one of the deceased brigands she treated tenderly just a moment before in his departure from this world. Turning around, she began to drag him down the slope in some weird idiosyncratic nature.
Weren't gnolls known man-eaters?

The many brigands carried by the many soldiers and their possessions clearly didn't paint the picture of gleaming elegance that Gahesznem portrayed.

Cassidy had seen the way that her companions had been scouring the caves. If these brigands had taken Damascus, the gnolls wouldn't miss a sword as brilliant and beautiful as his. He scratches the feline's chin, smiling at Gahesznem. "Found her wandering around the base of the spine. She was as cold as stone and you could barely tell what color she was under all the dirt in her fur. I took her with me, she's been all the company I've had these last few lonely years." The cat mewled, before burrowing down into Cassidy's coat.

Figuring his best chance at getting Damascus back was following the gnolls, and eager for a bit of warmth and perhaps a nap he patted the lump of tabby in his coat and followed Gahesznem closely. as she set off. Ackerson's nature was one of flexibility; It didn't take him long to discard his previous preconceptions about gnolls in the face of new information. On the contrary, he was quite interested in these creatures. It was true that not all of the gnoll warriors exuded the same gentle energy that his new acquaintance seemed to, but then he wasn't exactly any brighter than an average human himself.

He stretched his arms up, keeping pace with his rescuer as she headed down the slope. The majority of the trip he spent calming the still slightly shaken cat in his coat. His little disappearing act had frightened Mar, but she'd be okay. Farther down the mountain, he could definitely smell the water in the air. Sure enough, they'd made it to quite a sizable river. Just follow it huh? Seemed easy enough to find... "You called yourself "Handmaid of The Pharaoh" earlier. I'm guessing that's your leader? How long have you been tucked away up here? I've passed this area a few dozen times, and I don't think I ever saw any gnolls. Then again, I didn't get kidnapped any of those other times either."

If the gnolls were going to slaughter and loot anybody, he supposed he was at least glad it was brigands and goons. The whole of Arethil could stand to do with less of those. If anything, they should be getting rewarded for the work they did back there. He had a feeling that not everybody would be so keen to accept a race with such a reputation though...

Gahesznem

• Dab
»Truly, a good companion makes one's life a joy. « The gnoll let out a brief smile, turning her head to Cassidy Ackerson .
Walking down the slope with cargo was easier than going up. But the lands in the lowlands, already seen in the distance (if one were well-sighted in the night like the gnolls), would prove transportation more difficult.
Soon they were joined by a river, which grew wider with each additional stream.

»Indeed, « Gaheznem smiled with a lustre of a thousand suns before musing onward: »The most beautiful, outstanding Pharaoh Amun'Dzeer, blessed by Basaph and Khotseti alike. As bright as the star Šaltanus, her Majesty outshines us all and her ruling over this land, while new and aged only two weeks, is promising and well-divined with the favour of mortal and divine nature combined. «

She seemed to get lost in praising her Pharaoh, but her face calmed down as she gave him a quick glance with her pale eyes before focusing more deeply with a stare.
»If this land is your common ground, I welcome you to visit the court where you must share your knowledge. Food is abundant and music harmonic in the tent of the royalty.«

Last edited:
Well, she wasn't wrong about the necessity of a good companion in life. Even so, he had to admit he missed having company of his own species. The life he'd been stuck with for the last few years was a lonely one, and while he was looking forward to indulging himself in the culture of these gnolls, he knew that the odds were that he'd be on his way before very long, off to wherever the wind carried him next.

Still, the way she talked about the Pharaoh made him take pause and watch her as they approached her lands. Such reverence was usually tainted by something, be it greed, power or lust. There was nothing but purity in the way Gahesznem spoke about her leader though. It was... well, it was damned impressive.

It was probably right then that he decided he wanted to meet this Pharaoh in the flesh.

"Common ground? You mean like a home? No, I don't have any of that I'm afraid."

He thought in silence for a moment about the possible consequences of sharing his tale with this creature. It wasn't likely that anybody would question the gnoll's about his whereabouts. Even if they were questioned... he felt that they were trustworthy, based on their faith alone. Maybe this once, he'd tell his story.

"I was born to a real rich family. My parents were a couple of powerful members in one of the biggest trading companies in the Kingdom of Dalriada. I was set to take over my father's spot after I got married to my girl Ariella." He felt a little pang every time he said her name. A pang of what though? Guilt? Remorse? He wasn't sure... "But I was a bastard. My father fell in love with a peasant... and I was the result of that. He took me in, and protected me. He couldn't stop my adoptive mother though. She'd rather have died than let some kid that wasn't hers have any of her power. She sent men to kill Ariella, and then she framed me for the murder. I've been on the run ever since."

He could smell something cooking coming from the settlement they approach. His nose twitched a bit, and he smiled. "But yeah. Home hasn't been something I've had in years."

Gahesznem

• Yay
The dark blue sky grew wider in the marshy grasslands. Occasionally the lights of very small hamlets slowly passing by were slowly getting extinguished as seen in the distance.
Crickets, frogs and the deep bellow of crocodiles permeated the air.
Dangerous sounds indeed.
Even with cackled of hyenas, some of the gnolls called back. It was unclear what sounds came from friend or beast.

»Little surprise you wander then, after living through such hardship. How far is Dalradia though, are you not safe elsewhere, ready to make your home?«
She didn't exactly know the cues of man's rule. The son inheriting his mother's station, and the bread mother not wanting to give up her's felt natural to Gahesznem, but that is for gnolls are strictly matriarchal. Humans had this thing called patriarchy.
Truly weird.

Gahesznem later picked up the pace, and so have the other gnolls. The urge to return home was high.

Cassidy shrugs. It was a valid question, but it was one he'd never put too much thought into. Or if he had, the answer he'd come up with wasn't one he wanted to admit to himself. " My family is powerful. They'll have posters put out looking for me, and if they ever find me again, they'll have my head. I can't settle when there's always the danger that I'll be tracked down. I sure as hell can't start a family, I can't even stick around in one place long enough to meet a lady, let alone court one."

He let his eyes travel across the wildlife that surrounded them. How hadn't he found this lovely little grove before? He didn't consider himself much of a naturalist, but this place was so peaceful he couldn't helped but fall under it's charms. "This place is really beautiful. It's the kinda place... maybe in another life I could see myself settling down."

He didn't like the odds of that happening now, given his situation and profession. Survivability of mercenaries and sell-swords was decidedly low, all things considered. Still, he offers Gahesznem a warm smile. "I won't be in your hair long. I wouldn't want to cause you our your people any undue effort. I do appreciate the hospitality though, truly."

Gahesznem

Cassidy Ackerson

One such set of lights have not disappeared though. they grew brighter.
Tents cobbled out of various materials soon sprang on either side of the Hesheb river. Various families of gnolls, more like clans were housed together. From the greater spotted ones to lesser striped gnollfolk and their hybrids.
Females were overwhelmingly represented as the heads of shared households. And occasionally some conversation sprung about between the members of the war party and the present adults.
»A shame it is. But I believe on Basaph's name, than out there you may yet meet yourself an equal with wings just as wide as you have.«

While one could say much about the beauty of this land. Marshy and fertile, covered in tall reeds, the camping site didn't quite scream of the eloquence Gahesznem displayed, it was however cosy in it's own right.
Only when they reached the quarter of governance near Pharaoh's encampment, were they met with some clean organisation.
Gahesznem like the rest dropped off the bodies in a pile. The scavenging had begun proper and one of the gnolls already flashed around a blue blade with silverine streaks. The gnoll soldier sniffed it before waving it to get the attention of Cassidy. They smelled alike, so it must be the one he asked for?

»You are free to be our guest for dinner, Cassidy, and perhaps we can present you to the humans who live with us tomorrow. It is rare to have friends of men of travelling nature and such open-mindedness.«

Her positivity was more appreciated than she could know. So caught up in a life in flight and the work that he'd subsequently thrown himself into, he sometimes found it difficult to see any such light at the end of the tunnel. Gahesznem was no more than a briefly met acquaintance to Cassidy, and yet her unwaveringly calm demeanor was doing wonders for the stress he'd been under.

Now, they walked towards a much more literal light at the end of their path; tents and huts dotted across the marsh with dim lights glowing from their interiors, the shadows of the gnolls and their families casted out of the openings. The sight made him smile a bit; even in places where the majority of the world expected find ugliness, there was undeniable beauty and peace.

As they made it to their settlement proper, he took a brief moment to wander over to the gnoll carrying his sword. There was no mistaking Damascus, and as he took the hilt in his hand once more much of his anxiousness dissipated. With Damascus at his side, nothing could break him. He gives a small bow to the one who'd retrieved it. "I am in your debt. This sword is extremely important."

He turns to Gahesznem, looking a bit surprised by her words. "Other humans live here?" He hadn't even considered the possibility of a human populace this far out. "I'd much like to hear more about your people over dinner, Gaz. Please, lead the way."

Gaz.
He wasn't sure what had possessed him to use the nickname. But it felt appropriate to him. Much less of a mouth full too.

Gahesznem

The gifting gnoll wondered for a moment, before returning to scavenging.

Bodies of the dead have been undressed. Some of the cloth could be traded to the human villagers who've allied with the gnolls, and the armour could be smelted by artisans to better fit the figure of the hyena folk.
And the rest...
Gaheznem led Cassidy away just in time when the butchers began to take apart the meat of the brigands. Better not look behind.
Suddenly settling down in a land can put a massive strain on the local ecosystem. Overhunting is a bad practice for future prosperity and while some of the local villages have allied with them, they may have mostly done so from fear rather than true kinship as preached by Gahesznem.
Protection for food, that was the plan.

»Ah blessed is the man who ties the knot between the most glorious all-mother Basaph and Khotseti, virile father of mankind. You who learn of our tales so you may better understand that differences are more shallow than first seen.«

Gahesznem waved to other handmaids of a lower station than hers. They seemed to have acquired the hint and seated the two by a table that stood in one of the nicer tents of white cloth trimmed in blue and patterned with geometric shapes reminding one of reeds. The only illumination besides the full moons was the brazier that burned just outside the tent.

"I've already learned that lesson just from having my skin saved. But then I've always been a proponent of peace, except that most kinds have a tendency to either fear or loathe anything that doesn't look like them. It's a damned shame." Cassidy mused as he lowered into the spot beside her. He didn't fault these gnolls for any method they chose to use. After all, they were just trying to survive the same as everybody else. "One of the things I don't miss about a luxurious life. At least when I'm out here, I can make a difference, without my family pushing their own self-centered ideals on me."

That was why he'd chosen the post-wealth life that he had. With Damascus at his side, he had a chance to make real change, and help people who were unable to help themselves. The same way he'd been unable to help himself. Maybe it was just twisted way of dealing with some unresolved remorse, but it suited him well enough, as far as his belief system went.

"You'll have to forgive me if I have trouble following along with everything. I may have once been powerful, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit simple. I don't usually put much thought into a higher purpose, if you get what I mean. At the same time..." He takes a look around the tent. "I see the appeal of faith. Under a different upbringing, I'd probably be pretty devout."

Gahesznem

Indeed, a man like Cassidy was free to do as he wishes if the law were not to get him.
Gaheznem was groomed from youth to not cross her duty, to retailor her heart most delicate and to not be fooled by desires of otherworldly wealth or selfish ambition.
Those ill thoughts always preyed behind one's back to strike when one was weak of mind and training.
Such derailment was counterproductive to her station in life and shameful for her prideful lineage of the firstborn daughters of the firstborn daughters. »But you are only one man, Cassidy. A god can do much with a call of his voice, but what is the person who needs many arms and teeth to move a despot? If you were to make a difference all alone, is it not a king's might you need?«

The table by which they sat seemed rather elegant once a few clay plates were assembled on it. Most notable among them were two bowls of hare bone soup. »There is no need to worry, I can teach you of the ways of the gods and devour life, if only you open your heart to it in this life too.«

The redhead cracks a big grin towards his gnoll friend. She was right, in that he was only one man. Maybe though, Cassidy could offer Gaz some of his own wisdom. "It doesn't matter how many of me there are, or how strong I am. One person can move a mountain an inch at a time, Gaz. I don't have to to change the world all at once, but If I do small things, little acts of good faith every day... then by the time my life is done, I'll be able to say I've made a helluva difference, won't I?" He helped himself to some of the soup, taking a long whiff of it before letting his lips come to the edge of the bowl to sip at it. It was delicious; he hadn't realized how hungry he was. Bringing it down, he licks his lips. "Delicious..."

"We're all mightier than we give ourselves credit for. We can all change the world if we put our minds to it. Didn't you realize that you changed the world today, Gaz? You offered me shelter when I was in need. You may think of it as nothing but good faith, but that action changes the course of history in small little ways."

He took another long sip of his soup, Mar sliding out of his jacket to rest on the table, watching the both of them. He lowered a hand, scratching her chin gently. "We're all constantly changing. I'm a different man than I was just a year ago. Even your people, this place you've settled was nothing but a patch of fertile land at the end of a river. You've made it something more, something that makes a difference."

Gahesznem

»Ah Cassidy you have quite the words for wisdom, would you have presented yourself as a vagrant right now, I would not have believed you.«

Nothing too heavy is good for the stomach in the evening, so the stew was the only meal offered, along with an infusion of mint and lime.

»I would say the stars have set on us, we shouldn't wait for the sun now and neither will it wait for us. And I believe you would love to see the rest of this fertile plain and how it has been shaped tomorrow.«
The gnoll's ego was perhaps stroked a little too much than what reality showed.

While the tent here was for the handmaid of the most esteemed pharaoh, Cassidy wouldn't be able to rest here with them, not even with the blessings of all of Gahesznem's subordinates.
He was led into a bachelor's tent complex, where many young or even old unmarried gnolls slept. They were the ones who've left their native clans in search of service as dedicated warriors and no doubt, to earn the affection from the ladies of the clans in search of kinship.

He smiled at her, secretly quite amused by her barely contained enthusiasm for displaying their accomplishments to an outsider. How many souls from outside did they get, he wondered? He doubted many, as unforgiving as the spine was, he couldn't see a helluva lot of people coming across this place by accident.
He finishes the meal offered, and winks at her. "I wouldn't say I'm wise, but I trust your intuition, Lady Gaz." He chirps with all the charm in the world.

He agreed with her notion to retire for the night, and assisted with gathering the bowls in need of wash before allowing her to lead him out. He certainly hoped all this showing off wasn't just a ploy to divert his attention; It would rather hurt him to know they didn't trust him not to judge them, though he'd understand the trepidation. Not many humans were comfortable with the idea of their dead being eaten, after all.

He spun around on his heel as they arrived at the tent, leaning on it as he bid Gaz farewell. "This my stop then? You've been quite a hostess tonight." He smirks, and bows his head a bit. "I guess tomorrow, I'll pay a visit to the Pharaoh out of respect and head out on my way. I certainly don't want to overstay my welcome with you, when you've been so accommodating."

He turns, opening the mouth of the tent to head inside. He doubted there was much room, but he only needed a spot to sit down. He was usually able to make himself pretty damned comfortable in any position, if he put his mind to it.

Gahesznem

• Yay
»Rest well, Cassidy.« There was no need for further flourish, as a simple goodbye is sometimes the sweetest lullaby.

Returning to her Pharaoh's tent atop the reigning mound, the scent of human flesh filled the air. Gahesznem herself was aware of the strenuous relationship the gnolls had with other races, and maneating was very popular among the more 'savage' of gnollkin, or those that were more practical about wastage of food, which may just account for nearly all.
Their human wards, however, felt unease at their presence, and Gaheznem may have an idea how to alleviate that worry before having to convince the elder gnolls to abstain from the flesh of Khotseti's kin.

The next morning greeted the reedy and fertile floodplain with the heat of the scorching sun.
some of the bachelor gnolls remained at sleep, others emptied the place of themselves for they had better things to do for the day.
Gaheznem was not entirely sure if her illustrious, shining and most just Pharaoh was at will to meet Cassity. Although a mere human of vagrant status, Gaheznem believed he and his experience with noble-folk may come useful for their cause.
But not quite now.
She wanted to see something else as her pet project.
Walking down from the mount, she searched around if there were any signs of Cassidy or the kitty cat, whoever she found first in any corner of the camp. Whether it be the waterfront, the mess or the bachelor's tent.

Cassidy hadn't had a particularly nice sleep, despite Gaz's words. He dreamt of Ariella, of the night before their wedding and all that had ensued. He saw her laying here, guards standing over her lifeless form with their blades pointed in his direction. It was a recurring vision, one that came from his memoires. One time was enough though; after waking up the first time, he remained more or less awake for the remaining few hours of the night.

Gahesznem would find him near where they had entered the camp the previous night, securing what little he had in the way of belongings. It looked as though he were preparing to leave, just as he said he would be. He didn't see much reason to trouble the golls with his presence any longer, and while he would have been interested to see a bit more, he was keenly aware that they were making an effort to look good for him, keeping bodies out of view and the like.

Mar seemed wary this morning, and he couldn't place whether it was due to their collective lack of sleep, or if the notoriously perceptive cat was onto something that Cassidy wasn't picking up. Needless to say, her behavior was odd enough that it made him take pause and look around for any source of distress.

He didn't classify it as distress, but it seemed Gaz was awake and headed towards them. He dropped his bag and offered her a wave. "Oh, Morning Gaz! I didn't wanna wake you, and I thought I might make myself scarce. How are you this morning?"

Gahesznem