Completed Hospitality

Lechies Delrio

Wizard-scholar
Character Biography
Link
Sunset glowed in the sky above Allir's rolling fields. With the portal stone still a day away, it was high time Lechies and Dakota started considering their evening plans. Lechies wouldn't have minded camping again, but Dakota argued that there was no good reason for them to have to rest their asses in the dirt when there were perfectly hospitable farmers in the area. Surely one of them would be willing to let a pair of Greendawn agents sleep under their roof tonight.

So, once it was too dark to see without Lechies having to summon a werelight, she and her partner veered off the main road and towards the nearest farmstead.

No one answered Dakota's knock, though the interior of the farm house was lit, so he supposed that the occupants had failed to hear him. (Lechies found this difficult to believe; Dakota's voice could carry when he wished it.) She left him to wait patiently for their supposed hosts while she checked the rest of the property.

She saw no livestock, though murmurs of noise came from within the barn and chicken coop, so Lechies assumed the animals had retired for the night. The crops beyond the fence were a rustling sea of black, shadows stretching before her werelight like long teeth. Surely the farmers weren't still outside?

It wasn't until she returned to the farm house that she noticed its back door swung open.

Open, with a glistening streak of blood on the threshold.

She called for Dakota, and they trespassed.

There were signs of violent struggle -- damaged furniture, paraphernalia flung to the floor, and more blood. Not enough to suggest that anyone had lost their lives inside the house, though this reasoning didn't bring either of them relief. If the farmers hadn't been killed, then clearly they had been taken.

Lechies stood in the middle of the ransacked kitchen and watched Dakota kneel. He swiped a gloved finger across the floor and inspected it.

"The blood ain't quite dry yet," he said, rubbing his fingers together, "but it musta been an hour, at least. We can still catch up if we hustle. What d'you think?"

Lechies peered into the darkness past the house's back entrance. The farmers were in terrible peril; that she and Dakota should rescue them from their awful fate with all haste was without question. However, the prospect of tracking a band of apparent kidnappers -- or worse -- in the dead of night, in lands unfamiliar to either of them, did not instill great confidence in her.

She sighed. "I don't want to stall, but flailing about in the dark won't do them or us any good. We should rest here for the night and start our chase at first light."

"Agreed."
Dakota's armor rattled as he stood. "We still oughta take watch, then. I'll go first, and you-"

He cut himself off, every line of his body snapping to sudden awareness. He fell into a preparatory battle stance with the grace that only a seasoned warrior could manage. Lechies instinctively went rigid as well, casting her eyes to the door.

The seconds crawled by. Movement sounded from outside.

She couldn't cast without the luminance of her spells betraying their position, but Lechies silently began to form the arrays in her mind anyway. Her staff was gripped tightly in her hand. Dakota's own hand drifted over his shoulder to wrap around the hilt of his greatsword as he edged towards the door.

So close...
Darkensand could instinctively feel it, either a Small Fragment of his Soul or one of his Self-Written Tomes was somewhere in the Area... but where? There was no Time to waste, his Runes needed to be Reapplied, and he would have to find a Safe Shelter which could Protect him from any Outside Interferences for that.

Where could such Shelter be found? A Cave could suffice if no other Opportunity would present itself, but for the Time Being, he would have to Continue his March through the thick Forest and hopefully find a Better Alternative.

After Several Hours of Trudging through the Forest, he finally felt a Faint Magical Presence in the Near Distance. It's Movement limited to a small Area, that has to be some Kind of Shelter, why else Move around so much in such a confined Area, unless it is... not sapient,
however such thoughts dispersed immediately, there was simply no better Alternative, so he placed his Hopes upon his Gut Instinct and started marching towards this Magical Presence, he had sensed not to long ago.

A Farmstead, perfect, that should suffice as Shelter.
He would obviously not rudely Intrude upon these Farmers, Darkensand was no Malevolent Creature, he was certain that, at least, he should try to Strike a Agreement with the Owners, if it did Fail, he could still Resort to Unconventional Methods, although he would rather not have to do so, and even if forced, he would still Pay the Owners back, it would hardly be their Fault to Distrust an Undead Creature, even if it was an Intelligent one.
Sadly, most View Undead as Being all the Same Malevolent Creatures, only desiring the Life Force of others.
A Sentiment he Understands, yet also tries to Disprove.
At least the Malevolent Part, after all he could not disprove the need for Life Force, just it's Acquisition Method.

Strange. It was too quiet. And he could now feel an Oddity, within the House he could feel the Presence of three distinct Creatures, not only did two of them emit a noticeable Magical Presence, the two that did so, seemed to be... intertwined with each other, distinct yet mixed together, almost as if the two shared a Single Body, how intriguing, he thought.
It seemed like, even if he would be unable to recover whatever of his Personal Belonging was in the Area, Researching this... Oddity, may very well make this whole Endeavour on it's on worth the Time.

Darkensand could now feel the three Creatures clearly, and was now certain, that the two Creatures had to either share a Body or either they or something else managed to Confuse his Senses.
Whatever it was, he would soon find out. He closed in to, apparently, the Backdoor of this Wooden Establishment.
Oh...
They seem to have noticed him or something else, it seemed like one of them was closing in to the Door as well, probably ready to Strike if said Person deemed it necessary.
This may get messy.
It was unlikely that these Creatures were Open Minded, some would say Naive, enough to let him Speak before Striking at him.
If it came to it he would probably have to subdue him, what a Pain, at the very least he could try to Speak with them before they saw him, that may reduce the Chance of a Fight.

With that Intention he drew closer to the Door and spoke in a Monotonous Voice:
"I mean you no harm, just like you, I am in dire need of Shelter for the Night.
I would only ask of you, to not attack me upon seeing my Appearance.
It may horrify you, or it may not.
Regardless of it, I am unlike most of my Kind or how they are depicted commonly and I am by no means intending to harm you in any given way.
But be warned, if you still intend to Strike me down, I will not take your Life, but I can not promise, that you may not get severely Wounded."

After his Speech, he steps out of the Dark and into the House, holding his Arms up, to demonstrate his Peaceful Intentions, but ready to Attack, should these Beings be incapable of listening to Reason.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Lechies Delrio
The warning delivered from the darkness was equal parts polite and grave, a peculiarity that Lechies had not the time to fully consider before the voice's owner stepped into the warm light of the dwelling.

Profound shock seemed to freeze the very blood in her veins. For it was not a person before them -- indeed, not even one of the living -- but a fleshless face that peered out from within the cloth and armor. This was no simple undead, however. He moved with a deliberation and purpose at odds with the usual shambling, shuffling gait of undead, and he had spoken to them -- intelligently. Most of all, the magicks buzzing about the figure formed an aura so bright that Lechies didn't realize their glow was a literal thing until she saw it pulling at the shadows.

There was only one conclusion to draw here, and it tied her stomach into fearful knots. They faced a lich, one of the realm's most powerful and dangerous creatures.

Lechies never imagined that her first encounter with such a frightening being would be in the kitchen of a raided farm house.

In front of and slightly to the right of her, Dakota's form tensed further. His grip tightened on the hilt, and his center of balance shifted just so -- a sign that, despite the warning, he'd chosen to obey his first instinct when met with one of the undead.

It was a mistake. That the lich had offered non-hostility of his own accord was something of a miracle; she could not let Dakota ruin that.

"Dakota."

Her partner jerked to a halt, steel rasping as his greatsword slid free three inches. The look he shot back at Lechies was more bewildered than angry. Dakota probably couldn't recall a time when Lechies had taken such a commanding tone with him. Lechies certainly couldn't recall, either.

She straightened, trying to loosen her posture into something less aggressive. Lechies released the arrays she had been forming as well, though she held onto her staff.

"Apologies, Lord Lich. Your appearance was... startling, as you warned. But if your intentions are indeed peaceful, then you have our word: we won't harm you as long as you extend us the same courtesy."

Her gaze shifted pointedly to Dakota. He made a low noise of discomfort, and the glint in his eyes suggested that Lechies had a mighty scolding in her future, but he let his hand fall away from his weapon all the same. Satisfied, Lechies continued.

"You said you seek shelter? My companion and I also sought a roof for the night, and thought to ask it from the farmers here, but..." She gestured at the general sorry state of the room, at the blood. "It seems the owners were abducted. So while shelter isn't ours to offer, if you would rest here, we won't stop you."

Darkensand

• Yay
Reactions: Darkensand
These Beings hurting you...

A earth trembling Laughter echoes through the House:
"My Apologize, it has just been such a long Time, since somebody, held his Composure so well in Front of me,
in Spite of their Fear."

He slowly starts walking towards the Woman, then looks down on the Puddle of Blood:
"What a Shame, I am someone that usually repays his Debts, it seems though, I will be unable to do so.
"Considering you have shown me Basic Courtesy so far, I shall repay in Kind and reveal Myself to you,
Arch Wizard Darkensand, I strongly Doubt that you have ever heard of me."

He pauses, his Gaze wanders towards her Companion and back.
"I take it, that your Companion", he Points towards said Person, "is called Dakota, as for you Miss?

He does not wait for an Answer, before he follows up his Question with:
"Irregardless, I have to say that your... Situation, is quite interesting, that is, unless you are tricking me,
into believing, that your Body is occupied, by two Different Beings, in which Case,
I would have to commend you for your successful Deception, although I also would have to inquire,
as to why you created such an Illusion."

• Yay
Alarmed, Lechies had to fight not to step back as the lich approached her. Dakota looked just as apprehensive, but having yielded to Lechies's judgment, he held his position. The man did visibly bristle, though, not unlike an overprotective guard dog.

His eyes found hers. Silent understanding passed between them, born from years of working together as partners. If she found reason to end their pact of nonviolence, Lechies would signal, and Dakota would act.

What Darkensand asked her was not something Lechies wished to answer. For all that she trusted Dakota as a colleague and a friend, she had never divulged the secret of her demon to him. She had never told any of the Greendawners. The risk was too great. All it took was one misstep, one sentence spoken to someone who did not deserve to hear it, and Lechies's very life would be in jeopardy. Her whole family would suffer -- her brothers' reputations destroyed; her parents never to know peace again.

She could hardly reveal the truth now, to this lich in the kitchen of a raided farm house. Still, Lechies wondered how much that eyeless gaze could really see. Archmages tended to be... perceptive. If she tried to lie, it was possible that Darkensand would know, and further press the issue. And then all would be laid bare, regardless.

Lechies nodded stiffly. Her hands were clammy in their gloves.

"My name is Lechies. And it's no illusion, Lord Darkensand. I have a... tethered helper. A spirit of sorts."

Lechies hesitated then, acutely aware of Dakota's puzzled sidelong glance. Should she say more? As it was, she was certain her partner would have questions later. But such a meager, clumsy explanation surely wouldn't satisfy the lich...

Before she could decide, noise came again from the darkness outside -- this time, a clear thumping of footsteps, quickly gaining speed.

A blur dressed in brown launched itself through the door. Lechies glimpsed a young face twisted with rage -- a blond boy with freckles, perhaps 8 or 9 years old -- before she noticed the gardening knife clutched in his hands.

"Bastards!" The boy lunged at the back of the nearest figure -- Darkensand. "Give them back!"

Darkensand

Last edited:
  • Yay
There are Seals on her Body... Ah, Now I understand her reluc...
Before he could finish his thought, he noticed another Presence coming to the House, immediately afterwards, said Presence shouted at him, attacking him from behind.
Darkensand let it happen, whatever the Being attacked him with broke and the Being feel to the Ground, he then turned to said Being, it was a young Boy, based on his shouting and Stature, probably a relative of the missing Farmers.

Once the Man had turned around, Peter stiffened up, he could not believe what he saw, a Man with no Face, no Eyes, only Bones.
Fear spread within him, he could not move,
he told his Limbs to stand up but they couldn't,
he told them to run but they couldn't ,
even breathing became more and more difficult with every passing Second, he instinctively knew it, the Man that was before him, could kill him with just a Thought, then he realized how funny the Situation was.

Either he would soon met his Parents or they would not have to take care of him any longer, he knew he was always a Burden for them, always acting against them and causing so much Trouble.
He remembers the last Time they spoke:
"But whyyyyy? Why can't I go out and play with my friends?"

"You know exactly what... happened to your Sister. It's to dangerous. End Of Discussion."

"It's your Fault she died, yours and now you want to punish me for that! I hate you!"

He had regretted them immediately, but how could he just Apologize, he tried, but his Pride became the better of him. And now here he was, on Death's Door, his Parents dead or the last they will remember of him is how he said he hated them, truly, how laughable, neither Option seemed better.
The Man now came closer and he was certain he would die. Peter closed his Eyes.

Nothing happened...

He heard a Voice so monotonous, one could fall Asleep to it:
"Now Little One, considering the Circumstances, I will forgive you. Neither I, nor the other two
have harmed or kidnapped your Relatives. Considering they are missing I suppose you are the current Owner of this Place.
I am someone that always repays his Debts.
I would have to ask you, whether I could stay the Night here?"

He showed... friendliness, and albeit true his Appearance induced Dread within Peter, the Man said he always repayed his Debts, then surely he could rescue his Parents. That was the Reason he said that didn't he? Or was it just a Scheme to fill him with Hope and then plunge him into Despair?
It didn't matter, even if the Man wanted his Life, if he rescued his Parents he would gladly give it to him.

"You can, if you rescue my Parents."

"Smart little Boy, fine. Lechies and Dakota, was it? I suppose you also dislike not repaying your Debt? In which Case you are gladly invited to this Rescue."

He turned back towards Lechies and whispered:
"And my Apologies, I suppose your Friend is unaware of the Nature of your special Helper, I forgot how Times have changed, based on your Reaction, such practices, probably are as negatively looked upon as the Undead."

Lechies Delrio

Last edited:
  • Yay
When the boy's knife snapped against Darkensand's body, Lechies thought his young life was surely forfeit. It was impossible that an ancient archmage would tolerate so grave an insult as being attacked from behind, especially by someone so woefully out of his league. Yes, for a long, terrifying moment, Lechies was certain she would have to fight Darkensand after all, a desperate attempt to save the boy from his own poor judgment.

And yet, it wasn't wrath that Darkensand brought down upon the boy. No, quite the opposite. Lechies was honestly stunned. Not only forgiving the transgression, but agreeing to rescue the farmers -- was his motivation really a simple matter of honor? Of repaying a debt? Or was there actually a kind soul hidden away in that desiccated body?

Either way, bards and scholars alike had clearly gotten things wrong when it came to the undead.

When Darkensand addressed them, Dakota was first to recover from his profound shock. His pale face went red instead. His hand, having leapt up to his sword again when the boy ran in, fell back down to his side, and he made an irritated gesture in the lich's direction.

"Wha- Course we're goin', too. Was gonna help anyway, 'fore you came bargin' in."

The boy's bravado finally collapsed, and his mouth twisted like he was about to cry. Hope glimmered behind his wet eyes.

"You'll really help? Th-Thanks..."

"Save the thanks, you little dumbass!"
Dakota's voice rose like a storm. His armor rattled angrily as he strode over to pull the boy to his feet. "The hell were you thinkin', chargin' in like that? You got a death wish? Got horse shit in your skull insteada brains?!"

As Dakota scolded away, comfortably in his element, the nod that Lechies gave Darkensand was discreet and grateful. "No need to apologize," she murmured. "I appreciate the tact, truly. And I'm sure your curiosity remains unfulfilled. As thanks for rescuing the boy's family, I would be glad to share the details of my... circumstances with you, but only after we have secured their safety."

Lechies then joined Dakota and the boy. As Dakota paused to take a breath between barks, she lay a hand on his arm, gently nudging him aside. 'Let me take over.'

"You're alright now. It's alright," she soothed, her smile soft. "What's your name?"

He sucked his snot back in, eyes darting between his three elders. "... Peter."

"It's good to meet you, Peter. I'm Lechies, and this is Dakota, and that is Lord Darkensand. You were foolish to charge in, but also very brave. I'm glad you showed yourself to us, because we have questions about what happened. Who took your parents? And how did you escape?"

"I-I dunno who. I was up in the barn when I heard shouting... Looked out the window and saw a bunch of men. They had weapons, and they were pulling my Mom and Dad out the house."
Peter stared at the floor, fists tight at his sides. "I hid in the barn. Hid for a long time... I'd just about worked up the courage to come out when I saw a light wobbling up the road."

"Ah. That was me, I believe."
Lechies tilted her head at her staff.

"Yeah. I thought they came back, so I hid again. But then I got to thinking -- I couldn't let the bastards get away with it." Peter's words went venomous. "So I got one of Dad's tools, and... you know the rest."

"Indeed."
Lechies rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "Did you see how many men there were? Or which direction they went?"

"Eight, I guess? Didn't get a good look. I was afraid they'd spot me, so I ducked down real quick. And I dunno where they went... Oh, but dem voices passed by the barn while I was hid, so they must of gone east? Into the woods."

Dakota cut in. "You know the woods well, boy?"

"N-No, sir. Dad doesn't like me playing back there. My sis-- Uh, it's dangerous in the woods. Got a whooping last time he caught me sneaking off."

"That's fine."
Lechies said. She patted Peter's shoulder and gave him what she hoped was an encouraging squeeze. "Thank you for telling us. We'll do all we can to save your parents, I promise."

Then, to Darkensand:

"Dakota and I had originally planned to rest the night before chasing after the brigands at dawn, but that was before we had your strength among us. We now have the option to set out immediately. Are you ready to do so?"

Darkensand

• Yay
"East you say?"

Darkensand lifts up his Scepter and slams it into the Ground, emitting a Wave of pure Magical Energy.
Yes, he could feel it, several Lifeforms to the East, several Dozens of Men at least, more than they could probably handle.
They would definitely need his help in subduing such a Force.

"You most certainly will need my Assistance, after my brief... Investigation, I can tell you, that they have at least several Dozen Men.
Pardon me, but I doubt you could take on such a Force on your own, especially not in your weakened State."

Darkensand turns towards Peter:
"You should stay here."

And then turns back towards Lechies and Dakota:
"I would advice to start moving, if they have a Mage, they should be aware of my Presence now, although it will take them some time to Prepare for Departure and they certainly wouldn't expect me to directly go after them.
So If you don't mind following me.
As for a specific Plan, such a Thing can be devised on the Way, and will most likely have to be changed once we are close."

And so Darkensand started marching towards the Location where he had sensed these Amassment of Lifeforms.

Lechies Delrio

• Yay
Lechies watched, fascinated, as a scintillating wave of arcane aura rippled outward from Darkensand's scepter. It passed through the walls of the house, echoing back onto her senses for some seconds before fading entirely. A brief taste of his capabilities, she assumed. It stirred admiration deep within her. To have such power herself...

Her excitement was short-lived, however.

Several dozen men! That was rather more than she had expected -- much more. Beside her, Dakota scowled, and Lechies couldn't blame him. Neither of them had heard of such a threat plaguing the countryside during their travels through Allir Reach. No word from the criers, nor notices posted on the bounty boards. Was this marauding band newly formed? Or had they evaded detection by the kingdom all this time? Neither scenario boded well.

Worry churned in Lechies's gut. She did promise Peter they'd rescue his parents, but this quest was highly risky. Should they fail... then at all costs, they had to evade death or capture themselves, if only to be able to carry a warning to the proper authorities. A bid to save those who could still be saved.

Lechies's face was grim as she nodded at Darkensand. "Very well. Please lead us."

As she made to follow him, Dakota stepped into her path and caught her gaze.

"You sure you know what you're doin'? We're takin' marchin' orders from a lich, y'know."

"A most unusual arrangement, yes."
Lechies sighed, then lowered her voice. "This isn't my first choice, either. But our chances of helping those farmers are slim without his power. And despite his undeath, he's been... surprisingly gracious."

"Yeah, can't deny that."
Dakota gave her a searching stare. "Just be careful, alright. I don't like the way he was lookin' at you."

Lechies had no reply for that. The situation was out of her hands now; their alliance had been sealed.

After securing a promise from Peter that he would hide immediately if anyone else came upon his home, they ventured into the eastern woods on Darkensand's heels. Whether or not the lich could see in darkness, Lechies would summon a werelight regardless for the benefit of the human eyes among them. She saw little harm in it at this point, considering the way Darkensand's own body glowed. And besides, as he had mentioned, their enemies might be aware of their pursuit already.

As they walked, Lechies would follow just behind Darkensand, while Dakota guarded their rear. After some minutes, she increased her gait to meet the lich's shoulder.

"Lord Darkensand, on the matter of strategy -- may I ask about your talents in battle? I specialize in transmutation and conjury, and-" cold magic whose origins were questionable, "in a pinch, I'm a fair hand at wielding my staff for physical combat. Dakota has only muscle and steel, but he is one of our organization's most stalwart fighters."

Darkensand

• Yay
"An interesting Question, someone else may see this as a try, to gain hold of future Weaknesses. So a short Advice, one should always be cautious about who one tells his own Abilities, your Opponent not knowing each of them, is after all in itself a huge Advantage.

But do not worry, even if that was your Intention, I do not mind.
As to answer your question,"
Darkensand creates a small Flame in his Hand, "I am capable of simple Elemental Manipulation or Conjuration if you wish to call it that, although with simple, I do not mean it's Size, but it's Complexity.

As for other Abilities, I am quite capable at Necromancy, as you may have guessed. Aside from that, I also am capable of Conjuration, though in a more fundamental Form than what you can do, while you probably use Raw Magic, to create Things, I can control it regardless, and use Raw Magic itself freely, without the Limitations of having to press it into a Form, that is the best Explanation I can give you, without a Demonstration.
But just like you, to use Raw Magic itself is quite burning.

Once I was also able to instead of conjuring, erase things with raw Magic, just like this Flame,"
He extinguishes the small Flame in his Hand, "unfortunately, that requires an extensive Amount of Magic. Unfortunately as well, this current Vessel of mine, has not yet fully recovered.

Regardless of that, at last, I am also quite adept at Rune Magic, so if you wish for some simple Adjustments to your Equipment or Bodies, I can certainly help with either, although any temporary Runes to enhance your Body, may take a bit of Time, most definitely longer, than just simply applying Runes onto your Equipment."

Lechies Delrio

• Yay
Lechies frowned slightly. She had been forthright about their abilities because she assumed Darkensand was an ally. Was he warning her to think otherwise? 'Surprisingly gracious, indeed.'

The necromancy was only expected; Lechies had known from the moment it was clear they would be working together. If, in the coming conflict, Darkensand deemed it necessary to -- well, bolster their own forces with the bodies of fallen brigands, Lechies honestly wasn't sure how she would react. Even knowing the necessity of it, a part of her recoiled. She keenly felt that the dead deserved their rest, no matter how they had chosen to conduct themselves while alive. Even Lechies, for all the time she had wrongfully borrowed, hoped that once her end came, she would be granted the peace of an undisturbed sleep.

Then again, how was necromancy different than her demon? Both were deemed evil by the masses, a sure mark of corruption. But to their wielders, they were only another tool.

And here, they wielded their tools for a good cause. Lechies had no right to complain, however Darkensand might choose to exercise his talents. If their rescue mission was successful, those farmers had no right to complain, either.

"'Not yet fully recovered'?" Lechies parroted back at him. In other words, injured. She gave Darkensand a shrewd glance, but it was a soft smile on her lips. "I see... Thank you for your trust. Then I shall honor the trade with a weakness of my own."

She paused for a moment, gauging from the sound of Dakota's footfalls how closely he was following them, then spoke in a lowered voice.

"If our enemies be human, elf, dwarf, or some other sufficiently intelligent race, then I can't kill them. That isn't to say I will not, but I can not. The consequences would be dire. It's a condition of the tethered helper I mentioned before.

"Dakota doesn't know; he and our other associates assume I tread a particularly lofty moral high ground. So I would appreciate your continued discretion, Lord Darkensand. Just be aware that if we fight, I will aim to only incapacitate my opponents. But I of course have no objections if you must end their lives."

Darkensand

• Yay
"So that is what one of your Sigils is for. I understand.
I suppose the trigger Condition is a sapient Lifeform?

What a pity that the Person that constructed the Sigil was only an Amateur, had he been someone with my Expertise, he would have certainly made it triggered once your tethered Helper takes over.

I assume your tethered Helper is a rather weaker one though?

Otherwise said Helper could be able to just break the Sigil.

If you don't, after this Endeavour, I would like to take a look at the Sigils.

Oh, it seems we arrived, I hope you are prepared for the oncoming Assault.
It would be bad, if your Staff were to break."

Darkensand touches Lechies Staff and carves a Small Rune into it.

"This Rune should increase the Staffs Durability for the coming Hour, enough to withstand Sword clashes, I wouldn't recommend stopping a Dragons Bite with it though."

Now he could see it. The Bandit Group had established a simple defense Perimeter, utilizing some makeshift wooden Walls.

There were around 6 Bandits standing on Guard, two by the Entrance, three on the Makeshift Wall and one on a rather poorly crafted Lookout.

The Group was now roughly 50 Meters away from the Entrance, any further and the Lookout or the patrols on the Walls would notice them.
It seems that they were either unaware of their Presence, their Leader didn't tell them of their coming or they tried to Bait them into coming, whatever it was, trying to use his Makeshift Sensor Magic, would definitely show their Presence and Position, wheter they are aware of their coming or not.

Darkensand turned towards Lechies:
"So, any Proposals? If we go in hard now, they will know immediately of our Presence, what they Plan to do with their Hostages then, I do not know, on the other Hand, Stealth will be difficult for me, for... obvious Reason.

Then again, once I show myself, they may act irrationaly, so it may be better if I do not directly show myself until we are in, whether that means I only use Spells from this Position or do not engage them at all, to lessen their Guard is up to you.

But if we go in hard, then we will have to do quick and in consideration of your Bane, that may not be possible, killing after all is usually faster than trying to just incapacitate."

• Yay
Lechies ran a finger over the place where Darkensand had touched her staff. The implement was already strengthened by an alchemical process, but she would not turn a further blessing away. Though, perhaps 'blessing' was a strange word to associate with a lich's power.

"Thank you," she said, genuinely grateful.

Once Darkensand indicated that they were drawing close to the enemy camp, Lechies dismissed her werelight, and she and Dakota followed him through the dark forest until the long shapes of walls rose up from between the trees, backed by the faint glow of torches. Lechies took a moment to focus her arcane sight, but it told her nothing. If the bandits had a mage among them, she was not yet close enough to sense their presence.

To Darkensand's strategic points, Lechies hummed in thought. Dakota could not move well without making noise due to his heavy armor, and to have him remove it would put him at greater risk if they had to fight. Stealth was difficult for Lechies as well, her spellwork being as unfortunately flashy as it was. Though, if she didn't have to cast -- or used only magic which didn't have to be cast...

"I think it would be prudent to scout further in. I'm curious to know for certain if they have a spellcaster with them, as well as find out where their prisoners are being kept." Assuming they yet lived, of course. "To that end, I will go."

She held out a hand, forestalling the protest Dakota was already preparing to make. "Lord Darkensand cannot do this. And while neither of us are masters of sneaking about, I'm less likely to be heard or seen." Lechies prodded at his muscular arm for emphasis. "I'll prepare a few enchantments for myself here, then round by their wall. I promise I'll be quick."

Dakota scowled deeply. For a moment Lechies wondered if he was more displeased by the prospect of being left alone with Darkensand than her trying to infiltrate the bandit camp without him.

"Damn reckless as always. Fine. How long're we lettin' you poke around in the hornets' nest 'til we gotta come haul your ass out?"

Lechies tapped her boots and her legs. Tendrils of magic followed her fingers, forming small, complex circles that threw golden light against her trousers. A dampening spell to reduce the sound made by her feet and clothes; another to darken her clothing and blend more readily into the shadows.

Then, Lechies drew a line in the earth with the bottom end of her staff. A whisper of mana; the line lit softly.

"If I don't return before this mark has run itself down, you may assume the worst. And if it comes to that," she glanced between Darkensand and Dakota, her gaze lingering on her partner, "I trust you'll make sure the local soldiers know of these bandits."

Lechies proceeded carefully towards the camp. As the wall loomed closer, she could see that the rear of the camp was protected by a wall of uneven rock, with the wooden walls growing out of it like a boil. She did her best to move only when the guards' line of sight had crossed in the other direction, and was somewhat surprised and pleased when she reached the wall itself without rousing the bandits to alarm.

As she paused, trying and failing again to detect the presence of a mage within the camp, Lechies noticed a sizable gap where two logs hadn't been secured together as firmly as the others. An idea sparked. She put her hand to it, listened and watched again for the guards, then began to freeze the space between the logs. The gap grew steadily, the wood pushed apart by the ice. As soon as it was large enough, she let the ice melt away and then squeezed herself through.

Lechies found herself behind a tent, in the shadows of an awning stretched over what she assumed to be crates of supplies. More men crossed slowly through the camp, others seated by a fire in the center, and yet more asleep. No cages or other imprisoning structures were in view, however.

It would probably be enough for her to quickly memorize the camp's layout before returning to the others. Before she was caught. And yet, she wanted to know if the people they'd come to rescue were even still alive to be rescued. This second vital, missing piece of information had Lechies stay just a little longer.

Outside, the magic line continued to burn down.

------​

On the other side of the bandit's camp, Captain Thyrsus stared down the mouth of a cave. His men waited behind him, moonlight glinting off their scale mail. The blades of their readied weapons shone like fangs in the dark.

Reports of missing persons in the farmlands had reached his ears only a day before. While investigating a lead, one of his scouts spotted a couple of suspicious travelers, and followed them back to a stronghold of stone and wood. The two could not be a coincidence. He'd sent a bird back to headquarters, but fearing the worst for the missing farmers should he dally, gathered what men he had on hand and marched them into the woods.

He expected whoever was inside the camp would have answers to his questions. And if they didn't, then at the very least he and his soldiers would contribute to the safety of the region.

He signaled, and they moved in.

• Yay
Burned down...
No Signal yet. Time has run out. She was possibly either taken captive or killed, whatever it was, the two of them had to act now.
"I assume you intend to disobey your Friends last Order?"

Silence...

"I take that as a Yes. Now, whether she is still alive or not, we do not have much time, so I suppose we have to go with a more direct approach."

Darkensand conjures 6 medium-sized Icycles.

"I didn't came to explain, my Backup Plan, you see, I am very well able to take out all of the Bandits with ease.

The Problem is, I can not eliminate said Threats at a quick enough Pace to avoid further trouble, and well, once they notice me, they very well may drift into illogical Behaviour, like killing the Farmers.

For known Reason, such Behaviour collides with my Intentions, but now that all other Options seem to be exhausted..."

Dakota hisses at Darkensand, seeming quite annoyed by now:
"Get to the Point."
"Pardon me, I digressed.
What I tried to say is, I csn take all 6 of them out, the Problem is, most likely at least one is going to survive.

And even if nobody survives, my improvised Sensor Magic, is not easy for novice Mages to notice, these Icycles, even a Beginner can notice. At least, since hiding the Magic Presence of my Conjurations isn't my strong suite.

But as I said, since Lechies isn't here yet, we will have to..."

"Hey you seein that? The Bandits are movin."
"Strange, they do wouldn't do that just for a single Captive, unless..."

Darkensand unleashes a quick and only closely visibale Wave of magical Energy.

There is Movement at the other Side and from what he can feel, Lives are being extinguished.

Whatever is happening at the other Side, it is giving the Bandits enough trouble, for them to vacate most of their close-by Guard Positions.

"Do ya want, everybody to frickin know, where we are!?"

He turns towards Dakota:
"They will not notice, even if they do, they already would be aware of us since before, so ultimately, it barely changes the Situation.

What truly matters, is that Coincidence is on our Side.

Someone or Something is attacking this Bandit Encampent from another Entrance as it seems, and the Bandits view it as big enough of a Threat, to only leave two Guards stationed outside.

Now I dare say, that I can take the two of them out.

I wouldn't mind your help though, your Cooperation would increase our Success Chances of eliminating them, before they can Sound any kind of Alarm, certainly tremendously.

So if you would be so kind as to help, we can reach Lechies quicker, something you certainly wish to accomplish as fast as possible."

Dakota wanted to complain, but then remained silent, probably because every passing second they wasted, the Chances of Lechies being found as a Corpse increased.

So he had no other Choice than to follow the Lichs Plan and Help the Undead Creature.

They were close, Darkensand prepared to fire his Icycles, while Dakota prepared to storm forward, but then suddenly the Gate opened.

A chance, Darkensand certsinly would not go to waste.

The two Guards immediately paid for turning their exposed Backs to him.

Getting to the Brain, is so much easier from the Back...

Both of them fell quickly to the ground.
Their Faces, what remained, as if unaware of what had transpired, oddly relaxed.

Out of the open Gate a Figure stepped out, a Figure that was supposed to be long Back by now.

"Took ya long enough, ay?"

Dakota was relieved to see Lechies unscathed.

"So, took a piss or what?"

• Yay
A sudden shift in the camp's energy rippled through the area. Men's voices grew louder and more angry, metal rattling with menace as they took up their weapons. Lechies ducked back into the shadows, terrified that they'd spotted her, but the bandits marched right past her hiding place. She caught part of a barked command as they shuffled by -- something about an "attack" and "in the cave".

Someone else had their sights set on this camp, then. Who? Soldiers? A rival gang?

Either way, with the bandits conveniently distracted, Lechies was free to resume her quest for the missing farmers. Still keeping to the shadows, she moved opposite the mobilizing bandits, towards the east.

However, even without guards to hinder her progress, she still couldn't find any prison or prisoners. Still no enemy mage, either.

Lechies reached the east gate empty-handed and frustrated.

Crouched by a pile of grain sacks, she glanced up at the walls and was startled to realize that the guards they'd scouted from before were no longer there. But wait, there had been two on watch outside, hadn't there?

The time limit she'd given Darkensand and Dakota was surely close to ending, if it hadn't already. Circling back to the hole in the wall where she'd snuck in would take too long. If it was only two guards, she should be able to handle them as long as she was careful.

Lechies clutched her staff, readying a spell on her tongue, and shoved the gate open.

At the same time, two thumps echoed. Lechies blinked, eyes swinging from the fallen guards to Dakota, and then to Darkensand's silhouette glowing in the night.

"What? No." She frowned and rubbed her forehead in apology. "I know I'm late. Sorry. I tried to find out where they're holding the prisoners, but there's no sign of them. If they're alive, they must be on the other end of camp.

"Speaking of, someone's attacked the bandits. I'm not sure who, but the men are gathering to the west. I heard them mention a cave. This side of their camp is unprotected."

Dakota looked back at Darkensand. "Yeah, noticed the hullabaloo from out here, too. What now? We joinin' in?"

"Our objective is to rescue the farmers, and we haven't found them, so... Yes. We should at least take a look. Cautiously."

Her partner hefted his greatsword onto his shoulder. "Alright. Let's find out who else these assholes pissed off. Maybe we can even convince 'em not to tussle with us. 'Enemy o' my enemy' and all that."

------​

The thugs were clever, Thyrsus would grant them that much. There had been a trap laid out across the tunnel, presumably to warn of attack, but his scout spotted the wire and cut it before it could be sprung. Thus, he and his men crashed into the camp with the advantage of surprise.

He offered them one chance to surrender. The gang did not.

It was hell, fighting in the narrow confines of a cave with only flickering torchlight to see by. Had his soldiers been any less disciplined, or less armed and armored, they would have been hard-pressed to make any progress. As it was, the wave of thugs was slowly collapsing against the force of their onslaught.

Thyrsus was first to reach the end of the tunnel. Here the cave walls ballooned out into a generously large space, the ceiling too high up for torchlight to reach. A number of wooden cages sat to the side; he was both shocked and vindicated to see people inside them. The missing persons.

He began to step towards the cages, only to jump back as a bolt of pale lightning snaked through the air where he had been stood. On the other side of the cavern, a robed figure raised their arm. Light and heat formed in their fist with deadly promise.

"Mage!" Thyrsus raised his shield, moving for cover. "Archers! Focus the mage!"

• Yay
The three of them were moving now for a while when Darkensand tried asking Lechies:
"Did you feel any kind of magic emit..."

Magic...

He could feel it, just a bit further in. Someone was emitting a magical Aura.

Life Signs were rapidly diminishing, on whoever Side the Creature with the magical Aura was, it killed it's Opponents quickly.

And it's magical Aura was at least comparable to that of a Headmaster of the many lesser Colleges of Magic that are scattered all over the Continent.

It was no Beginner...

It made now Sense, why the Mage didn't notice any of the magical Emissions coming from the outside, he had to actively Focus on surpressing his magical Aura, to prevent others from noticing him, he couldn't have focused on detecting others.

Darkensand was definitely capable of hiding his magical Aura, but the Mage should soon notice, he may be focused currently on the Battle, but the closer they got to him, the more apparent would his Presence be.

They didn't had much Time, as soon as the Mage got rid of the Disturbance, he would be able to feel Darkensands Presence.

They had to hurry.
Darkensand turned towards Lechies, while increasing his walking Speed slowly:
"We do not have much Time.
They have a Mage, quite powerful, not as much as me, but definitely capable of killing the Farmers faster than I can kill him. His Power could probably be compared to the Headmaster of one of the lesser Magic Colleges. In short, most likely strong enough to exterminate whatever is attacking these Bandits, unless they got something that works especially well against..."

Suddenly the entire Cave flashed brightly followed. Soon after the Earth itself started to tremble.

"What the hell happened? Lich?!"
Dakota seemed quite disturbed.

Darkensand could feel it, the Mage was still fighting, but there was suddenly a strong Emission of Magic, so strong he could exactly make out it's Form.

It was a Ritual, he knew exactly what it was, Dark Magic. Whatever it's use was, the Farmers were probably meant as Sacrifices for it.

They really had no Time. They had to stop the Ritual or the Farmers would perish and who knows what the Ritual would do once completed, it may not be enough to kill the Lich, but it certainly could kill his temporary Companions and he had yet to hesr out Lechies about her tethered Helper.

"We need to hurry, Now!"

Lechies Delrio

Last edited:
  • Yay
The very moment Darkensand asked about enemy magicks, a massive and worrying force suddenly spilled from the east end of camp, pressing against Lechies's senses like a physical hand. So great was its power that even Dakota felt it; her partner's eyes went wide, cheeks going pale with fear.

She felt the blood drain from her own face, too, at Darkensand's prognosis. She'd studied under a headmaster at Elbion College, remembered well the strength and depth of his magical knowledge. Lechies did not think for a moment that she was anywhere near such a level. She may never be.

'Can we hope to defeat them?' The tremulous question played at her mind, her stomach tight with knots.

No, they had to defeat their foe. For the farmers. And if not for them, then for Peter...

The heavy aura pouring forth from the mouth of the cave threatened to choke Lechies as they neared. There were two bandits by the entrance, their backs turned away, presumably watching whatever chaos was happening inside. Dakota slew the one on the right, blade sinking deep into the junction between his neck and shoulder. Lechies murmured an incantation as she slammed her free hand into the left man's back. There came a crackling sound, like ice, as an amber glow spread across his back like the lines of a crater. The bandit's clothes had crystallized into a hard, rigid shell. He would find moving to be quite impossible.

Inside the cave proper, Lechies had only a moment to take stock of the situation. The previously unknown third party seemed to be a company of professional soldiers, clad in good quality armor and moving with practiced discipline -- those of them that still moved, anyway. There were too many bodies on the ground for her to stop and count.

On the opposite side, the elusive bandit-mage had their arms raised. A well of snarling, ruby-bright energy twisted beneath their feet with such gravity that Lechies felt she would be sucked in.

And to the back wall were several people in cages. They screamed and wailed as tendrils of red light flew from their bodies, stretching across the cavern towards the mage.

Three more bandits guarding the mage noticed their entry. They charged, and Dakota rushed forward to meet them.

Lechies tapped the end of her staff against the ground. Silver circles spun into the air before her, illuminating her face, tight with fear and determination. She tapped again, and a tongue of magic shot from her position towards the mage across the ground, earth churning into soft, watery mud in its wake. She hoped to break their foe's footing.

Not enough...

Even with the full help of her tethered Helper, it was simply hopeless to fight against the Mage on her own.

And yet, the moment Darkensand would interfere, he knew the Mage would preemtively activate the Ritual.

While it would pose no threat towards him, his Companions and everyone else would certainly perish.

There was no simpel solution to this problem, he had to help Lechies, while trying to destroy the Ritual slowly.

But there was Hope to be found in Lechies tethered Helper, while it itself would be lacking, it does modify her Body strongly enough, for Darkensand to directly help her.

Help meaning supplementing her with a Fraction of his own Magic.

It certainly would prove to be difficult to supplement her with just the Amount her Body could still withstand, while also starting to disrupt the Ritual Circle.

While he slowly and delicately ate away at the magical Energy of the Ritual, he started the Transfer of hiw own Magical Energy:

"Atra du, Evarínya ono Varda!"

While it was invisible to the naked Eye, an Expert in Aura Reading would notice of how his own magical Energy slowly departed towards it's temporary new Bearer.

It proved to be more difficult than he would have thought initially, her tethered Helper interfered with the Transfer and tried to take away some of the Energy for itself.

He could not fully prevent that, at least not while having to break the Ritual.

Fortunately the tethered Helper only got a small Amount, not enough to break free from it's Host just yet, the Damage would have to be expected after this Encounter.

Now the rest was up to Lechies and her Friend Dakota, at least until Darkensand successfully broke the Ritual Circle.

Lechies Delrio

Last edited:
  • Yay
When her swath of mud reached the ritual circle, for a fleeting moment Lechies was certain she'd been successful in her bid to break their enemy's concentration. Her hopes were dashed, however, when the mud suddenly sprayed sideways, useless and harmless. Her spell had collided against something and been repelled.

Lechies squinted, willing her other sight to the fore. The surface of a curved sheet seemed to undulate in the dim light -- yes, there was a barrier around the other mage, a dome to protect them from interruption. Unfortunately, their foe was not an amateur.

What Lechies did succeed in was drawing the mage's attention. Even as their arms remained uplifted, siphoning life from the captives, the hooded figure turned towards her, apparently considering her threat level. Lechies stiffened, preparing to weather a counterattack, but to her horror, their gaze continued sideways... to Dakota, who had finished dispatching the three bandits in his way. Her partner was now charging for the mage, greatsword raised over his shoulder.

Though Dakota's physical strength was great, Lechies doubted his ordinary steel would be able to breach the barrier alone. She began to spool her power, readying an augmentation for his blade.

The gift of Darkensand's magic was so stealthy and gentle that Lechies didn't even realize the transfer had taken place until the surplus energy was flooding her veins, soaking into every molecule in her body.

'What-'

Lechies staggered under the strain. Her chest was uncomfortably hot, her very being feeling like it was trying to escape the confines of her skin. She ached with sensation, not from pain but the intensity of it. The shapes and colors of the cavern near vibrated with impossible clarity; every rattle of steel and shuffle of feet from the bandits and soldiers rang as sharply as a spoon tapping on glass. Even her gloves seemed too constraining for her hands; Lechies had the bizarre urge to wrench them off.

Yet, she wasn't scared. She recognized Darkensand's essence within her, his magic woven with her own -- a blessing upon her, just like when he'd blessed her staff. Why he'd chosen to lend her a portion of his power, Lechies wasn't sure, but she wouldn't waste his generosity.

Up ahead, the enemy mage had moved one of their arms, palm flat and facing Dakota. Magic warped in the space before their hand, twisting into a vicious, jagged projectile that glowed like a volcano's belly.

Lechies shifted her magic, breaking down her incomplete spell and repurposing its energies for pure offense. Again she tapped her staff on the ground, and this time the glyphs that burst into form around her were so bright it almost hurt to look at them. A magic missile far larger, far denser than any she'd ever conjured before erupted from her position.

It closed the distance to Dakota, flew past him, and slammed into the enemy mage's spell. Silver swallowed red in a blink, and the missile continued unerringly for the mage's barrier.

Their defenses crumpled like a boot coming down onto a dry leaf, shards of incandescence fluttering and dissolving away. Pebbles showered from above as the forceful dispelling of energies shook the room. This time the opposing mage did stumble, their balance broken, before Lechies lost view of them behind clouds of disturbed dust.

• Sip
It was broken.

Darkensand turned his Attention immediately towards the greatest current Threat in near Proximity, the Mage.

Or so he thought, until he saw him.

How amateurish...

While the Mage certainly possessed magical Energy matching that of a Headmaster his Ability to keep Concentration was severely lacking or Darkensands Standards were to high, whatever it was, it was glaringly obvious, that the Force Missile Lechies shot, while powerful, shouldn't have broken through the Mages Defenses.

The Force Missile lackked as expected Refinement, since Lechies evidently hadn't ever experienced a similae height of magical Power and neither could properly adjust it nor fully control it, which certainly weakened the Force Missile quite severely.

Severely enough so that the Mage should still have been able to block it, at least so Darkensand thought.

Afformentioned Mage was to csught up in realizing his Ritual Circle had been brokenthrough and apparently failed to regain Concentration, which led to the Force Missile destroying his Barriers.

It did not matter anymore, now that the Ritual had been broken, Darkensand could interfere.

It did not take long, Darkensand approached the still disillusioned Mage.

To prevent the Mage from attacking others, Darkensand pressed him down by using the Earth around him, luckily his Death would not be a Problem anymore.

So he manipulated the Earth below the Mage and initially forced his Body to stand still.

Once Darkensand had approached close enough, the Mage had succeded to break free from his hold, or so the Mage seemed to think, not for long.

Said Mage was abruptly forced towards the nearest Cave Wall.

Broken Bones could be heard, as well as the Mage crying in anguish while trying his best to attack Darkensand with his Spells.

To the dread of the Mage, none of the Spells coulf breakthrough even a single Layer of Darkensands protective Barrier.

He had now finally reached the Mage and layed his Hands on him.

From one second to another, the Mage turned into a Lifeless Husk, robbed of all of his Lifeforce.

Parts of the received Lifeforce, Darkensand transferred back to the Prisoners.

Once the Transfer was completed he turned back towards Lechies.

"Now lets find out, whether the Farmers are under the Survivors, shall we?"

Lechies Delrio

• Yay
So surprised was Lechies by the potency of her own attack that when the cavern rumbled, she instinctively pulled herself into a protective ball, a spell of shielding formed on her tongue. As the seconds passed however, the ceiling remained intact, and no counterspell came launching out of the dust. Once satisfied that it was safe, Lechies went for Dakota's side.

Her body was still too sensitive -- her very skin tingled as if caressed by lightning, and she thought her heart might leap from her chest -- but firing that enormous magic missile had helped burn away the excess (undeserved) power. Already Lechies felt mostly like herself again. Her senses no longer collected frightening amounts of stimuli and she could walk without stumbling.

Dakota remained wary even as he acknowledged her approach, his attention fixed to where the bandit-mage had disappeared. "Did you get 'em? That was a pretty big punch."

Lechies paused, uncertain, but when the clouds finally parted, they had their answer. Darkensand's methods were as efficient as they were brutal. Dakota made a disgusted sort of noise at the shriveled corpse, and Lechies turned away.

She didn't miss how streaks of life force drifted back over to the cages, however. When Darkensand addressed her, her response was a grateful nod.

"Yes."

Murmurs of shock and relief echoed through the air as they moved towards the cages. Lechies counted twelve prisoners. One of them was facedown and unmoving, but the rest were pale and frightened and alive. Magic and steel made quick work of the locks, and Lechies helped a trembling young man onto his feet.

"Are you with the army? Did the kingdom finally send someone for us?" His eyes darted nervously and doubtfully towards Darkensand.

Lechies gave him what she hoped was a reassuring smile. "No. We're scholars. A boy named Peter sent us-"

"Our son!"
exclaimed someone leaving another cage. The voice belonged to a blonde woman with a familiar splashing of freckles on her face. She clung for dear life to a man favoring his left leg. Tears were in both their eyes. "He's alright, then! Oh, thank the gods!"

Lechies didn't have time to say or ask anything else. The incoming rattle of armor turned her head, and she realized -- the soldiers had won their side of the battle, as well. Their casualties had been numerous, yes, but in the end it was the bandits who were all either dead or being detained. Some half dozen soldiers were also now checking on the former prisoners.

At the front of the group was a man even taller and bulkier than Dakota. He removed his helmet as he approached Lechies, revealing a head of dark hair and icy blue eyes.

"Captain Rauph Thyrsus. Your help was most appreciated back there, citizen. That said, I must ask -- what in the hells are you doing keeping company with that thing?"

He jerked his chin in Darkensand's direction. The soldiers had yet to put away their weapons.

• Sip
"Darkensand."

"What?"

"My Name is Darkensand, Captain Thyrsus, and I would advice you to use it.

Now if you would be so kind as to prevent your Soldiers fron commiting suicide?"

"What kind of Abomination do you think you are to command me, Undead!"

How dare this Undead command and threaten him.

Regardless he had seen it, how it made swift work of the Mage that had made his Unit look like Toddlers.

Captain Thyrsus simply knew, even if his entire Unit was still alive, the Undead could vanquished them in but mere Moments.

"Fine. Weapons down Men."

He walked towards Darkensand:
"But you pull any tricks then I guarantee you, that my Soldiers won't hold back."

"Amusing. The second one, that acted against their own Fear, yet the other Person at least showed some Manners.

Oh well, fine, if I wanted to do anything, I would already have done so.

So unless you provoke me, you have my word, I will not harm you or any of your men in any given way."

The captain turnes towards his Men:
"Status Report!
Number of Survivors?
How many are wounded?
How many need immediate medical attention?"

A dwarven Woman stood out of the Crowd of Soldiers and stepped forward:
"Sir!"

She salutes the Captain:
"Only around half of the Company survived, allmost all of them are wounded, at least a dozen are in critical Condition."

"Where is Lieutenant Lorn?"

"Dead, Sir. As well as Lieutenant Samuel.
All Sergeants expect me are Dead as well."

"Damn it, Sergeant Laurel? You are for the time being promoted to Lieutenant.
Try to keep the critical wounded alive as long as possible.

Now again,"
he turns back towards Lechies and Dakota, "While I am thankful that you helped me and my Unit with the Mage, you will have to explain to me, why you keep such unusal company?"

Lechies Delrio

• Yay
Standing stiffly between the exchange of heated words, Lechies dared to breathe a sigh of relief. A soldier's pride could be a petulant thing, but she was glad that the captain had sense enough to decline any more violence for tonight.

As Thyrsus addressed his men, Lechies and Dakota went to check on the prisoner who still lay unmoving in the cage. His wrinkled skin and shock of white hair told of his considerable age, and Lechies feared the worst as Dakota knelt to see how he'd fared after suffering through the bandit mage's failed ritual. Her partner turned the man's face upwards -- his eyes were blank and unseeing. Dakota shook his head, and Lechies hung hers.

At Thyrsus's repeated inquiry, Lechies faced him with her lips pressed tightly together. She didn't like the accusatory tone, and had to wonder if the good captain was trying to save face after failing to cow Darkensand.

"Our alliance was one of convenience, Captain, nothing more. My partner and I came to one of the nearby farms to seek shelter for the night, only to find the owners missing and their blood in the house. Their son had escaped the attack and told us what happened. We could hardly refuse to help."

"But where does this 'alliance' fit in? You haven't explained that."

"Lord Darkensand had sought shelter at the same household, and heard the same tale from the son."

Thyrsus scowled at Lechies's use of the title. "So the lich heard there were farmers in trouble, and pledged his aid out of the goodness of his heart? You expect me to believe that?"

"Respectfully, Captain, what you believe is irrelevant,"
Lechies said, polite and calm. "The fact remains that Lord Darkensand assaulted the bandits' stronghold alongside us, and without his intervention, we may all be dead, the bandits' hostages included. If you would thank us for our help, then you should thank him as well."

"Don't test the limits of my gratitude, woman."

Thyrsus's face was a thundercloud, but he perhaps sensed that further interrogation would be of little use, because he turned back to his soldiers and waved them over.

"Vihn and Quentin, help these folk with their injuries. Drystan and Watti, search the place. I want to know just what the bastards were doing out here..."

---​

Over the next couple of hours, they dealt with the battle's aftermath. Much of the bandits' camp was repurposed into medical tents for the considerable number of wounded, and some few soldiers set about preparing quick and simple meals for the freed farmers. Regrettably, Lechies had no talent in the realm of healing magic, but she contributed her hands and feet to carrying whatever supplies were needed, while Dakota took those too injured to walk. No one knew the deceased prisoner's identity; he was left under a large cloth for the time being. The bandits' corpses would go to the pyre. They would all rest here for the remainder of the night, and leave in the morning.

Lechies, desiring fresh air after breathing in the stink of blood and sweat inside the medical tents, eventually found her way onto one of the camp's walls. She watched the shimmer of stars through the canopy while the noise of busy soldiers echoed faintly from below.

• Thoughtful
After the Captain had finished his useless attempts to preserve what Honor he still had left, Darkensand started to more closely examine the Ritual.

It did not disclose much of its exact Function, but Darkensand could determine, that its Purpose was to summon something of considerable Power.

Despite that, he was unable to determine the exact Being it was meant to summon, but wait.

A thought came up, what if the Circle wasn't meant to necessary directly summon something, but rather weaken the shackles on a creature in another realm?

It was possible, the only thing the Circle really disclosed was that it connected to another realm, it was foolish to assume that that could only involve summoning Creatures.

Whatever its Purpose was, if it was indeed meant to weaken the shackles of a sealed Being, then that Being was now very well free because of his Interference.

He would have to investigate this matter at some other Time.

Lechies had stepped outside, a perfect opportunity to inquire her of her helper and inform her of the weakened Seal.

"Not liking company of Strangers? I think my past self could relate.
At least in my not Lich Years, I did usually shy away from interacting to much with others, others I saw as lesser Beings.

Truly what a foolish Mage I was back then.
But I digress, I came here with a purpose.

One you are already aware of, the other is to inform you of something important.

While I tried to prevent your helper from eating the transferred Magic as much as possible, I was incapable of fully stopping it, therefore your Seal is currently weakened, although it won't break anytime soon, if not taken care of, you will either have to overpower your helper in a mental battle or be possessed.

Adding to that, one of your precaution Seals, may have been damaged.

So there is a possibility, that once your Body is possessed, your helper may be able to kill indiscriminately.

Oh but don't worry it is also possible that your other Seal was damaged or neither, I do not know.

You will have to focus on the Seals yourself and look whether either one is broken.

Now that I informed you of this rather unfortunate incident, you do owe me a few answer."

@Lechies

• Yay
Lechies acknowledged Darkensand's presence with little more than a languid nod -- though the warning he delivered did shock some energy back into her system. Lechies stiffened, hand flying to the back of her neck. She pressed down gently, but the seal seemed the same as it always had. The bigger seal on her chest felt no different, either. She didn't feel any different, just exhausted by the night's excitement.

Still, she would be the first to admit that she knew very little about her own demonic seals. If Darkensand, in all his worldly knowledge, believed that heightened caution was in order, then she would heed him. The penalty for negligence would be grave.

"Thank you for letting me know. I don't sense anything wrong, but I'll pay closer attention in the days to come."

Yes, she did owe him answers. Lechies nodded again as she peered down to the camp below. She eyed the nearest group of soldiers and, deciding that extra distance wouldn't hurt, moved farther down the wall away from inquisitive ears. She waved over her shoulder for Darkensand to follow.

Once satisfied that they were far enough, Lechies turned to face the lich fully.

"Answers, then. From the beginning."

She tapped a finger to her chest, over her heart. "I was sickly as a child. Dangerously so, in fact; I remember there were days when I was too weak to even get out of bed. My parents invited many healers and doctors to examine me, but they couldn't determine why. I wasn't expected to live to 13."

Lechies spoke with clinical calm, as if it was merely a story she was telling, not the facts of her own mortality. "My parents were distraught. And bless them, they were fiercely determined not to let me die. They hired a wizard -- I'm not sure from where, but I understand he had an intimate knowledge of rituals and the like. He proposed that a demon be bound to my soul. And my parents agreed.

"That's the true nature of that second presence you sensed. I'm a vessel for a demon; its soul empowers mine, allowing me to continue living, where I should be long dead. It's 'tethered' to me in the sense that the ritual that brought us together also erected safeguards to prevent the demon from escaping or influencing me."

Lechies watched Darkensand closely as she relayed this. The lich was not what she would call emotive, lacking a face of flesh as he did, but this was the first time she'd revealed her secret to another. She was deeply curious how he would react.

• Thoughtful