Fable - Ask Holy War

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Iris

Character Biography
Link
This was very annoying. No, being attacked by lusty bandits was annoying, coming across a random priest was annoying. Being captured by a church was a problem. She had been attacked on the road by a group of twelve Holy Knights. Her infernal Magics and weapons, had no effect against them, their armor and shields did plenty, and now her arms were burned by the touch of blessed steel chains. Priests had been extra careful in making sure she could go nowhere. So she knelt there, awaiting her sentence.

It didn’t take long. She was brought from her cell, and to the cathedral’s sanctuary for the trial. She was thrown in front of the archpriest, who spoke a prayer over her. It burned, it burned as though it were fire, but nothing else changed. Her screams were silenced by the prayer and once it was complete she was dragged off outside. The cathedral, as it turned out was also a large keep, surrounded by a towering stone wall. And outside was a crowd of people, waiting to watch the death of the demon.

Holy Knights dragged her to a podium, where she was brought to a wooden block and her head strapped down to it. The executioner, a man in white robes and a steel mask and carrying a large axe approached her. Her end was nigh.

Victoria O'Connor

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Victoria O'Connor
The cathedral was a blight. A white marble stain on a tapestry of smooth, dark velvet. A stain that spread, little by little, through boroughs and hamlets, infecting the minds of the little people with fear of damnation and protection from evil.

Victoria had suffered churches in her lands ever since reclaiming her stony seat of power on the coast. The common people needed something to occupy themselves with and to console themselves in times of hardship. Forcibly removing such an ingrained idea would incite revolt, and so she had left it, content that the small parishes would not constitute a threat.

But this cathedral was a problem. Though it lay on the outskirts of her territory it's clergy were more aggressive, more militaristic, and what was worse, they followed that whole "divine plan" nonsense which made them very unresponsive to noble decrees. Word that they had captured an actual demon was concerning. Its presence would frighten the people, and if such a church turned its sights to her own court... well, that simply could not be allowed.

It would be easier to let them kill the demon. She could pretend to be on the side of "righteousness" and applaud their efforts, then extricate them surgically from her realm. However, a niggling thought prevented Victoria from following this plan. A vampire's hunger was rarely sated, and Victoria had a dual appetite for blood and power. Having a demon in her debt could be beneficial, and so she had devised a plan.

A carriage pulled up to the execution. It was made of black glossy wood and the windows were covered in thick purple drapes. A man descended from beside the driver wearing fine black robes and an expression of kind importance. Though his hair was gray and his face wrinkled, his voice held a vigor to it as it carried out.

"The Lady Victoria O'Connor, Mistress of Greyrock Castle and its territories, demands a halt to this execution." His decree was met with gasps and cries of surprise and outrage, to which he simply remained smiling. He had been instructed to handle the crowd and the church, and had been warned that if Victoria had to leave the carriage he would be reprimanded.

Iris

Last edited:
  • Devil
Reactions: Iris
"The Lady Victoria O'Connor, Mistress of Greyrock Castle and its territories, demands a halt to this execution." His decree was met with gasps and cries of surprise and outrage, to which he simply remained smiling. He had been instructed to handle the crowd and the church, and had been warned that if Victoria had to leave the carriage he would be reprimanded.

"Does the Lady Victoria nut understand what a demon is and what it does? Or does she support this demon's cause?" The archpriest replied. "The execution and exorcism of demons is demanded by all things holy, and to defend one is to oppose Truth. We recognize Lady Victoria's authority here, but her decree does not undo that of the gods."

Iris was a little surprised at this. The Lady of the realm had come here, to stop her execution. She wasn't even a full demon yet, only a disciple. She wasn't even halfway there. So either this Lady Victoria didn't understand what she was and wanted her fealty, opposed the church as a whole and was using this to justify war on it, or she had some other agenda that Iris was unable to think through. What was her aim?

The Holy Knights certainly weren't happy with Victoria's sudden order to spare the demon. And they all were obviously prepared for a fight. Not only that, but blessed weapons were meant for use against not only the unholy but also the supernatural, so her vampire powers would be more hindrance than help here. She'd need to be clever.

• Dab
The archpriest's words were met with sounds of agreement and righteous fervor from the crowd, as was expected, and the black-robed emissary raised his hands for calm while maintaining his pleasant expression.

"The Lady, your Lady, understands the demon scourge and the holy and admirable work of the church in exorcizing it. Such darkness," he gestured to Iris, "should be expelled without mercy."

There were confused murmurs now. Did Victoria want to stop the execution or not? The man let the mutterings die down before continuing. "It is of the greatest concern to her Ladyship that this defiler has entered the realm. Spill her blood and we rid ourselves of one... but if this one could enter, could not others?" Murmurs again, this time with more concern, more fear. Excellent.

"Let the realm take this demon under its custody. She will be expunged, make no mistake, but before her dying breath let us extract from her the dark deeds, secrets, and plans she and her kind may harbor against us. Let us use the weapon our enemies have sent to undo them. Let us close the weakness that has allowed her to walk freely on your hallowed grounds."

His speech was done, and it had been done just as instructed. With luck, his emphasis would plant the seed of doubt in the people. How indeed had a demon managed to enter so close to this church? How was it that she did not suffer under its holy protection even now?

Victoria remained within her carriage, acute hearing listening to the whispers and murmurs through the thick glass windowpanes behind the heavy drapes. There was enough doubt there to be acceptable, enough frightened mothers and fathers. At least half still wanted an immediate execution, but this bloodlust could be turned to her favor. It always was in the end.

Even behind the purple drapes she could feel the oppressive heat of the sun bearing down on the small wooden box. She was dressed to cover herself should she need to make an appearance, but she sincerely hoped that would not be necessary.

• Smug
The archpriest's words were met with sounds of agreement and righteous fervor from the crowd, as was expected, and the black-robed emissary raised his hands for calm while maintaining his pleasant expression.

"The Lady, your Lady, understands the demon scourge and the holy and admirable work of the church in exorcizing it. Such darkness," he gestured to Iris, "should be expelled without mercy."

There were confused murmurs now. Did Victoria want to stop the execution or not? The man let the mutterings die down before continuing. "It is of the greatest concern to her Ladyship that this defiler has entered the realm. Spill her blood and we rid ourselves of one... but if this one could enter, could not others?" Murmurs again, this time with more concern, more fear. Excellent.

"Let the realm take this demon under its custody. She will be expunged, make no mistake, but before her dying breath let us extract from her the dark deeds, secrets, and plans she and her kind may harbor against us. Let us use the weapon our enemies have sent to undo them. Let us close the weakness that has allowed her to walk freely on your hallowed grounds."

"There is no weakness in your security that you can fill in Lady Victoria, the nature of the demon is to come wherever sin is to be found, and sin cannot in it's fullness be destroyed, only controlled, and only by choice. There will always be more demons to come, and we must always be ready to meet it with vigilance if we are to survive. And there is nothing that you can do to this demon that will make it speak truth, the very act of speaking truth is agony for any demon, their tongues know only lies." The archpriest said calmly. He'd dealt with situations like this before. "And the only way to exorcise demons is through prayer, and with the proper action, as we have taken here. To release this demon now would only strengthen it's hold on this world, and only a holy place can truly hold a demon captive. We must end her here, or not end her at all."

This priest was proving particularly stubborn. Victoria could not say it was unexpected, but she had hoped to deal with this subtly. This cathedral did not seem to appreciate who was in charge, here, yet another reason why they must be pulled from her realm like the weed they were... before they went to seed.

With an irritated sigh, Victoria rapped three times on her carriage window. The black-robed manservant, who looked like he had been just about to speak, turned at once to open the door. She emerged, clad entirely in pure white cloth. Her gown trailed like a frosted breeze from the carriage steps to the dusty ground, though she felt like she was on fire. She was quite literally blinded by the daylight, and she kept her eyes shut tight behind a veil.

"Your efforts are to be commended," she spoke in a voice smoother and cooler than morning dew, and it carried with it a headiness, and a sort of weight. "Your congregation is brave and true to be so devoted to holy justice, and to put themselves in such danger." A pause, a few murmurs from the people, and then she continued.

"But I will not permit you to place the people of this village, my subjects, in danger. This demon must die, yes, but its masters will retaliate. They will seek the source of its blood and seek vengeance with hellfire and slaughter." Another pause, and more murmurs. "The chapel within Greyrock Castle is old and strong. The walls of my keep have stood against evil for centuries. Time has calcified our seat of power against such evils. But this..." she honestly had no idea what this place was called, "...hamlet has no such defenses. Your cathedral is mighty, but it is new. Can it withstand such an assault? Can your walls hold all of these people, and for how long? I will not have my people hide behind stone while their crops wither. No."

She took just one more step forward. Any further and she would approach the threshold of the cathedral itself, and she had no desire to endure that. Already it was all she could do to control the rising nausea within her, and to keep herself focused when so many holy symbols were being worn around her.

"You will give the demon to me." Her final words carried her last effort. A deep, dark magic embedded in her very words that would attempt to ensnare the archpriest's mind and bend him to her will. Such hypnosis was not as strong without eye contact, but perhaps it would be enough.

She hoped so. If the priest still refused she had few cards left to play. She would have no choice but to let this demon die, which would be inconvenient. She would have preferred help in dismantling this cult.

• Smug
"Your efforts are to be commended," she spoke in a voice smoother and cooler than morning dew, and it carried with it a headiness, and a sort of weight. "Your congregation is brave and true to be so devoted to holy justice, and to put themselves in such danger." A pause, a few murmurs from the people, and then she continued.

"But I will not permit you to place the people of this village, my subjects, in danger. This demon must die, yes, but its masters will retaliate. They will seek the source of its blood and seek vengeance with hellfire and slaughter." Another pause, and more murmurs. "The chapel within Greyrock Castle is old and strong. The walls of my keep have stood against evil for centuries. Time has calcified our seat of power against such evils. But this..." she honestly had no idea what this place was called, "...hamlet has no such defenses. Your cathedral is mighty, but it is new. Can it withstand such an assault? Can your walls hold all of these people, and for how long? I will not have my people hide behind stone while their crops wither. No."

The archpriest smiled kindly, “on the contrary Lady Victoria. This Cathedral does have such defenses, and is in fact designed for such conflict. This creatures masters are undoubtedly dependent upon demonic Magics, which we are not only prepared to combat, but we intend to combat. They can hold all of these people and provision enough to feed them until such time as the unholy monstrosities are dispelled.”

"You will give the demon to me." Her final words carried her last effort. A deep, dark magic embedded in her very words that would attempt to ensnare the archpriest's mind and bend him to her will. Such hypnosis was not as strong without eye contact, but perhaps it would be enough.

That was a mistake, using dark magic in a sacrosanct place. The cathedral was in fact holy, which cancelled out all dark magic, or at least nullified them. She’d hear his mental reply projected towards her own mind. A calm presence it was, not hostile, not angry, just there.

demons aren’t the only ones who should beware of us. We will purify the world, that includes the exorcism of vampires too. We don’t wish violence Lady Victoria, but it is necessary to purify this world. Go while you may Lady.

Lucky for both Victoria and Iris, Iris had taken advantage of the distraction to work her way out of the head strap, and used the opportunity to let her wings spring out, knocking the nearby guards aside and launch herself towards her only avenue of escape, and that was this Lady Victoria.

She struck the side of the carriage with her shoulder. Her haste to escape having made her far more desperate, so she didn’t stop herself before hitting the carriage. But now Victoria had her.

• Cthuloo
She had made a mistake. Or, rather, someone else had made a mistake that now put her in danger. The priest's mental reply was infuriating. She felt violated by the intruding words, but was even more incensed that her information-gatherers had not known this man was a mage.

She was in a very dangerous spot. One more step forwards and she would be on sanctified ground, where the priest's power over her would be magnified tremendously. She was outdoors, under sunlight, with only cloth shielding her from near instant death. It was time to abort.

Luckily, Iris gave her a chance to do so. Victoria stepped back as the demon burst from her bonds, and it was easy enough to explain darting back into her carriage as good, virtuous fear. Her manservant, ever quick on the draw, was already shutting the door when Iris crashed into them. The window shattered just as he shouted "Go!" to the driver, and the black wooden box sped off.

"Hold on," Victoria spoke softly to her hitchhiker, as the cathedral grew smaller in the distance.

After perhaps half an hour Victoria called for the carriage to stop. She signaled to the man in black robes (she really should remember his name), who addressed the demon. "Please, enter. You will be more comfortable inside, and my Lady wishes to speak with you."

Last edited:
  • Bless
Luckily, Iris gave her a chance to do so. Victoria stepped back as the demon burst from her bonds, and it was easy enough to explain darting back into her carriage as good, virtuous fear. Her manservant, ever quick on the draw, was already shutting the door when Iris crashed into them. The window shattered just as he shouted "Go!" to the driver, and the black wooden box sped off.

"Hold on," Victoria spoke softly to her hitchhiker, as the cathedral grew smaller in the distance.

As if she needed to be told. She sank her clawlike fingernails into the wood and clung to it for dear life. She brought her wings in tight to reduce her chances of flying off. And it worked, the carriage sped out of the cathedral walls. And the crowd, convinced by the archpriest’s words, shouted after her and began to follow at first, but they stopped fairly soon.

After perhaps half an hour Victoria called for the carriage to stop. She signaled to the man in black robes (she really should remember his name), who addressed the demon. "Please, enter. You will be more comfortable inside, and my Lady wishes to speak with you."

She nodded her agreement and stepped in. She’d squeeze in and keep her wings tucked in close. “For your insanity I must thank you. Not many, especially not vampires or anything like them would step onto hallowed ground willingly. Why rescue me?”

The carriage started up again at a good clip, and Victoria was momentarily taken aback by Iris' recognition of her affliction, and her candor. She supposed a true demon probably had ways to identify other dark and undead creatures, and would have little reason to speak with humility to nobility.

Likewise, she cut to the chase. "That cathedral has soured my country since its first stones were laid. I should never have permitted its construction but I have been... preoccupied." Even saying the building's name left a sour taste in her mouth. "I have let my people have their little churches, their little places of worship. It pacifies them, gives them someone else to beg at." She twirled a crimson strand of hair with a look of annoyance mixed with distaste. "That place is different. They are foreign, and organized."

"But when I heard they'd captured a demon, well, I had to see for myself." Her face softened, and she displayed a deathly white and dangerously sharp smile to the creature sitting across from her. "As for the rescue, well, that should be obvious, shouldn't it?" Her eyes narrowed in what could almost look like glee. "I want your help to destroy them."

• Scared
Likewise, she cut to the chase. "That cathedral has soured my country since its first stones were laid. I should never have permitted its construction but I have been... preoccupied." Even saying the building's name left a sour taste in her mouth. "I have let my people have their little churches, their little places of worship. It pacifies them, gives them someone else to beg at." She twirled a crimson strand of hair with a look of annoyance mixed with distaste. "That place is different. They are foreign, and organized."

"And it is far from the first one, just a piece of a bigger group. I doubt that their holy knights will be so few in number the next time you visit. And you are clearly skilled with swaying people, but I doubt even you can compete with an archpriest in the field of rhetoric. He's likely swayed everyone who was present against you, and I doubt you can easily justify my not being dead once I'm discovered again."

"But when I heard they'd captured a demon, well, I had to see for myself." Her face softened, and she displayed a deathly white and dangerously sharp smile to the creature sitting across from her. "As for the rescue, well, that should be obvious, shouldn't it?" Her eyes narrowed in what could almost look like glee. "I want your help to destroy them."

"Not quite a demon. Only about halfway there." She sighed in annoyance, then her eyes widened in shock and she looked at Victoria as though she were quite insane. "Wait, you expect that two creatures of dark can destroy something specifically designed to destroy and repel us? I do not see how this can be done. Mayhaps with the help of a real demon, perhaps my patron Lord Cinder can provide assistance but even then there's no guarantee that they will be unable to withstand anything we can do."

She crossed her arms in thought, "I owe you my life, so I will obey until that debt is paid. But I cannot see how such an endeavor can yield anything short of failure."

Victoria was disappointed that the creature she'd gone to such trouble to rescue had such little faith. The church, cathedral, whatever it was, was clearly more powerful than she'd expected. Even so, she would see it crushed. "Shall I return you to them, then?" she said with a cruel smile. "I had expected someone useful, but if you don't think you can help..." she let her voice linger, but her face made clear that she had no intensions of abandoning the woman.

"What is your name?" she asked. "You may call me Victoria, and I do not give up so easily." She studied the demon, especially the wings and tail that she had to tuck into the little carriage.

"Places like that were built as a reaction to the darkness. We came first. Take away their holy symbols and shining light and they are but marble tombs. Houses for gods that cannot listen."She had a plan, or the beginnings of one. This was not the first holy site she had desecrated, although it was the most heavily guarded.

"We needn't bother your lord," she said perhaps too quickly. She greatly desired the assistance of this demon (bound to her by a life debt, as it was) but was not so foolish to enter into a contract with another more powerful entity. Perhaps the situation would call for it eventually, but ideally not. "These are my lands, my kingdom. The people may follow the holy word like moths to a flame but they know my name and my family. I have done enough to sow seeds of doubt. In the mean time," she gazed into inhuman eyes, "Let us tend to you. You're no good to me wounded and hungry. I wonder, what do half-demons eat? I have plenty of thralls if you have the taste for flesh."

Even so, she would see it crushed. "Shall I return you to them, then?" she said with a cruel smile. "I had expected someone useful, but if you don't think you can help..." she let her voice linger, but her face made clear that she had no intensions of abandoning the woman.

"If you think they'll let you go after you rescued a demon then go ahead. Besides, you returning me after demanding that I be handed over isn't exactly going to convince them that you don't intend an ambush."

"What is your name?" she asked. "You may call me Victoria, and I do not give up so easily." She studied the demon, especially the wings and tail that she had to tuck into the little carriage.

"Iris. It's good to meet you." She said simply. She flexed her cramped wings, it was more than a little uncomfortable in the relatively small carriage, but she wasn't going to complain, it was far cozier than the cell she'd been in the past couple of days.

"Places like that were built as a reaction to the darkness. We came first. Take away their holy symbols and shining light and they are but marble tombs. Houses for gods that cannot listen."She had a plan, or the beginnings of one. This was not the first holy site she had desecrated, although it was the most heavily guarded.

"Unless of course it is the place itself that has been blessed." She says. "And you should never underestimate something designed to kill you specifically. We will need someone to open the way for us. I cannot go in there unless I am brought in by someone who is not repelled by it's holiness, as is the nature of demons, they cannot come unless invited. Much like the nature of sin. But I digress, we will need mortal help."

"We needn't bother your lord," she said perhaps too quickly. She greatly desired the assistance of this demon (bound to her by a life debt, as it was) but was not so foolish to enter into a contract with another more powerful entity. Perhaps the situation would call for it eventually, but ideally not. "These are my lands, my kingdom. The people may follow the holy word like moths to a flame but they know my name and my family. I have done enough to sow seeds of doubt. In the mean time," she gazed into inhuman eyes, "Let us tend to you. You're no good to me wounded and hungry. I wonder, what do half-demons eat? I have plenty of thralls if you have the taste for flesh."

"I only need meat, human meat is a little too stringy for me, and quite a bit distasteful since I am still half human, at least a good part human. Though if that is the only thing available or other food is an inconvenience I have no qualms about eating humans. But ultimately demons can eat almost anything, sin consumes everything after all."

Victoria’s smirk only broadened as Iris spoke. It wasn’t often that someone was so candid with her, and it was surprisingly refreshing. Living amongst servants and thralls did lack for friction.

”Oh, I didn’t rescue you,” she said while putting a hand to her breast in feigned defense, ”You broke from your bonds and attacked my carriage. I just barely escaped with my life while you clung to the outside.” She chuckled softly to herself.

Iris, ever keen to remain on task, it seemed, made a good point, one that Victoria agreed with. Neither she nor the demi-demon could enter the sanctified grounds on their own. They would indeed need someone to let them in, or provide temporary protection. ”Yes… it is unfortunate that we cannot enter the place. Invitations aside, that much holy energy would burn me from the inside out. It needs to be dampened.”

She leaned forwards now, eager to get a closer look at her guest. Iris was a captivating figure, a bizarre merging of earthly beauty and infernal traits. The wings, those horns, that snapping tail, how extraordinary they were.

”I have been in contact with a witches’ coven to the west. I am hoping they might be able to open the door for us, but we will need a backup plan. They are enigmatic and their motives are their own.”

The carriage finally drew to a stop, and Victoria heard the driver step down. ”Ah, but time enough for discussion later tonight. You are a guest in my home, and I most certainly invite you inside.” The door was opened, and Victoria was helped out of the carriage. The driver extended a hand to Iris should she choose to accept his assistance in disembarking.

”I am thirsty,” she said coldly to an attendant that greeted them, ”And prepare a meal for my guest. Boar, I think, and make sure it strong and fresh.” They nodded, and hurried off.

Greyrock Castle did not dominate the skyline as the great towers of Vel Anir nor the immense domes of Amol Kali, but it stood strong and proud against the dark sky. The crashing tide could be heard beyond and the rising moon cast gentle shadows over the dark stones.

• Devil
”Oh, I didn’t rescue you,” she said while putting a hand to her breast in feigned defense, ”You broke from your bonds and attacked my carriage. I just barely escaped with my life while you clung to the outside.” She chuckled softly to herself.

She cackled, "Fair enough. I suppose it's only right for a lady such as yourself to be afraid of a winged monstrosity such as me."

Iris, ever keen to remain on task, it seemed, made a good point, one that Victoria agreed with. Neither she nor the demi-demon could enter the sanctified grounds on their own. They would indeed need someone to let them in, or provide temporary protection. ”Yes… it is unfortunate that we cannot enter the place. Invitations aside, that much holy energy would burn me from the inside out. It needs to be dampened.”

She leaned forwards now, eager to get a closer look at her guest. Iris was a captivating figure, a bizarre merging of earthly beauty and infernal traits. The wings, those horns, that snapping tail, how extraordinary they were.

”I have been in contact with a witches’ coven to the west. I am hoping they might be able to open the door for us, but we will need a backup plan. They are enigmatic and their motives are their own.”

She considered this. A coven of witches would certainly prove useful, and would certainly give them sharp enough teeth to take a bite out of that cathedral. But still, they had professionally trained holy knights and clerics, who are probably just as adept at combating witches as they were at killing vampires and exorcising demons. Even so, they were human, and only magic users, so they'd have a much easier time getting past the cathedral's magical defenses since it was absurdly difficult to counter witches with enchantments, what with the great variety in witch types, and their magic wasn't always evil by itself but rather how it was used, so some weren't even restricted by holy things being around. Yes, witches could certainly work, and while it made it more possible, it didn't make it much easier, they had a herculean task ahead of them.

She had been about to voice her thoughts on this when she was cut off.

The carriage finally drew to a stop, and Victoria heard the driver step down. ”Ah, but time enough for discussion later tonight. You are a guest in my home, and I most certainly invite you inside.” The door was opened, and Victoria was helped out of the carriage. The driver extended a hand to Iris should she choose to accept his assistance in disembarking.

”I am thirsty,” she said coldly to an attendant that greeted them, ”And prepare a meal for my guest. Boar, I think, and make sure it strong and fresh.” They nodded, and hurried off.

Greyrock Castle did not dominate the skyline as the great towers of Vel Anir nor the immense domes of Amol Kali, but it stood strong and proud against the dark sky. The crashing tide could be heard beyond and the rising moon cast gentle shadows over the dark stones.

She nodded when she was told that she was a guest, "A generous hostess you are. I hope that I prove to be a pleasant guest to have in your home."

When she stepped out she waved aside the assistance but thanked him for the offer and gazed upon the glory that was Castle Greyrock, dark, depressing, sturdy, intimidating. She loved it. A beautiful building if she were to give her opinion. It's battlements appeared sturdy, she wondered if there were machicolations on them. The crenellations appeared to be the proper size. She looked out on the gatehouse, trying to see all the details of the defenses, the more suicidal to attack it was the better.

• Devil
Victoria enjoyed the cool night, pushing back the thick white hood and pulling her long hair out of its twisted bun. She stretched her neck from side to side and sighed as the tension was relieved from her scalp.

The various attendants at the heavy wooden doors, and the servants within, would not look on Iris with any sort of disdain or confusion. Perhaps one or two would let their eyes linger a bit on her wings or tail, but none of them would be surprised at her presence. Of course, many of them had been enthralled for quite some time, and those that were not knew better than to question anything their mistress did.

"Come, I will show you to your room. Unless of course you would like to explore the castle? I have no secrets to hide from you here, I only ask that you remain within the walls for the time being. It would not do to have the common people know you are here, I'm sure you understand." She allowed her cloak to be taken and undid the first few clasps of her overdress. She could still feel the taint of the sun on the fabric, its warmth uncomfortable.

"Come, I will show you to your room. Unless of course you would like to explore the castle? I have no secrets to hide from you here, I only ask that you remain within the walls for the time being. It would not do to have the common people know you are here, I'm sure you understand." She allowed her cloak to be taken and undid the first few clasps of her overdress. She could still feel the taint of the sun on the fabric, its warmth uncomfortable.

"I think it would be wise if I acquainted myself with this castle, so that I might better find my way. And you have my word that I will remain inside the bailey until such time as I am needed." She said to Victoria.

The castle was certainly grand, a true fortress to behold. The inhabitants seemed rather lifeless but that wasn't something to think on too much.

She had grown used to eyes lingering on her, be it her tight clothes or her wings and horns. Frankly she didn't much care so long as the gaze didn't mean her harm.

Victoria nodded as a blonde-haired servant delivered a goblet to her hand. She took it without so much as looking at them, and brought it to her lips. Her eyes closed and her brows arched in blissful relief as she drank, and when she brought the cup down her lips were a deeper shade of red than before. "As you will. The dining hall is just there," she gestured to her right down a hall and towards another pair of imposing doors, "but of course any servant can direct you."

She handed the now empty cup to another passing hand and began to walk slowly down the hall, peeling off more of the thick white coverings she had been forced to wear beneath the cursed sun. With the removal of collar and sleeves, she wore a simple white dress held up at her shoulders. She did not have her usual jewels around her neck or fingers. What point would they have held when her skin could not meet the light of day?

She paused, seemed to think for a moment, and then continued, "Forgive my curiosity, but you said you were half human? I should very much like to hear how such a thing came to be."

She paused, seemed to think for a moment, and then continued, "Forgive my curiosity, but you said you were half human? I should very much like to hear how such a thing came to be."

"I mentioned before that I had a master, another demon by the name of Lord Cinder." She said. "I was, at the start of my life, just human. Long story short I was made a slave and sold to a rather cruel mistress. I was found by another disciple, someone like me, he's likely much further along in his transformation by now. Anyway, he took me to see Lord Cinder, and I was made a disciple like him. Cinder would turn us into demons, and bring us into his fold, in return we simply need to do his work on earth, causing chaos, terror, pain and the like. So I'm technically being under a long-term transmutation spell that turns me, slowly, into a demon. So that is how I'm half human."

A single eyebrowed lifted at Iris' story, and the ruby eyes gleamed with interest. "The transformation, is it painful?" She had read minimal accounts of demonic magic. Not only were the tomes of such knowledge mostly forbidden and exceptionally difficult to find, but she had never had a reason to seek out more than a few rudimentary bits of information.

Their walk continued, and Victoria wondered what this 'Lord Cinder's' endgame was. Surely he was not causing tumult for suffering's sake alone?

A single eyebrowed lifted at Iris' story, and the ruby eyes gleamed with interest. "The transformation, is it painful?" She had read minimal accounts of demonic magic. Not only were the tomes of such knowledge mostly forbidden and exceptionally difficult to find, but she had never had a reason to seek out more than a few rudimentary bits of information.

"Depends. There are seven infernal books that must be mastered before the transformation can be completed. The first was a simple book on controlling abyssal fire, and shaping it into objects such as a sword or maybe a whip. No transformations there. But the second book, the one I'm currently trying to master, involves a transformative spell, the one that gave me these wings and these horns. It was painful to undergo yes, but I came out stronger for it. Now I can fly short distances and glide without a problem. I was told that the final transformation would put the word agony to shame. Which is why Lord Cinder gives us piecemeal transformations along the way, to prepare us. See, he told me that he doesn't want the earth's destruction, nor does he want to overthrow the gods. He want's chaos so as to root out and gather together the strongest of the world, and bring them into his numbers. He's not like most demons. I don't understand all of his motivations nor all of his intents. But I can tell you that those who follow him are prepared for what will befall them so that they can endure if they are strong enough for him."

Iris certainly appeared to hold a profound loyalty for this Lord Cinder. Likely with good reason, Victoria figured, as the title 'Demon Lord' probably didn't come easily. She suppressed a shudder thinking about it. Compared to the depths of demonic hells, vampires were barely at the surface. With such a weakness for terrestrial flames she sickened at the thought of what true demon fire would do to her. Then again... would flames born of darkness do her harm? Things to ponder later.

"Your Lord is lucky to have such a devoted servant," she purred as they made their way around a bend and along a long series of windows overlooking the sea. The waves were inky black with only the shimmering reflection of the moon to mark their movements.

• Bless
"Your Lord is lucky to have such a devoted servant," she purred as they made their way around a bend and along a long series of windows overlooking the sea. The waves were inky black with only the shimmering reflection of the moon to mark their movements.

"All of his disciples harbor similar levels of obedience. He is a demon lord yes, but he is far from cruel to those who follow him. He has explained to me that it is frequently those who are desperate and downcast that he appears to. I was a slave before he came into my life, and he gave me the power I needed to free myself. And for that he has my devotion. I'm not the only one of my kind either, there are others across the continents." She told Victoria, following behind her. "So it doesn't much matter which one of us you meet, we are, all of us, devoted to him with everything we are."

There was a touch of unease across Victoria's brow as Iris further proclaimed her eternal servitude to this demon. The halfling would be helpful, but she would never truly serve Victoria. That was fine, so long as this Cinder's goals didn't clash against her own.

Their dinner was ready within the hour, with hot roasted boar as the main event. Various dressings, accompanied it, though Victoria wasn't sure what Iris would prefer. There were plenty of vegetables and even a few types of fruit plucked from more tropical regions. Victoria, of course, only had a silver goblet at her place, which she sipped at politely.

As the meal came to a close, Victoria broached the subject of business again. "Did you learn anything useful during your captivity? See any weaknesses, hear any names?"

Their dinner was ready within the hour, with hot roasted boar as the main event. Various dressings, accompanied it, though Victoria wasn't sure what Iris would prefer. There were plenty of vegetables and even a few types of fruit plucked from more tropical regions. Victoria, of course, only had a silver goblet at her place, which she sipped at politely.

As the meal came to a close, Victoria broached the subject of business again. "Did you learn anything useful during your captivity? See any weaknesses, hear any names?"

The frankly fancy meal she was presented with was almost a shock, enough to make her blink in disbelief. But she didn't do anything to offend her hostess so she simply said, "Your hospitality is more than I could have expected to be given to one such as myself. You have my sincerest gratitude."

Then she began eating. She was careful to be polite about it but it would be clear that she only had the most basic of table manners, which is to say she avoided being messy about it and chewed with her mouth closed. So she made sure to swallow before answering Victoria's question. "I'm afraid not. They aren't your typical loose-lipped bandits that spill every secret they have to prisoners. There were always two guards outside my cell but they never said a word. And noone discussed anything of importance nearby, or really anything. No names were mentioned that I heard, and they only referred to each other by their rank during my trial and torture. The high priest was only called His Holiness, knights were referred to as Wardens, base priests were called Clerics, mid level priests Bishops and such."

Of course by torture she meant the rite by which they would chain her soul to the abyss upon death, preventing her from being summoned again by some power hungry mortal or by breakout, it wouldn't be impossible to escape but it would be very difficult. And the process had been excruciating.

(I must apologize. Summer is going to be busy so please excuse my slow replies.)