Private Tales Hoist the Colors

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zilvra

Character Biography
Link
A young, red headed lad of teenage years stood in the crows nest of a fine merchant vessel sailing from Alliria to Falwood. As the sea lapped against the hull, the waves splashed him with salt water, leaving the boy completely drenched from head to toe. He only laughed in response. Urchin cared little for such minor inconveniences. If anything, the spray of the sea was refreshing under the heat of the mid-afternoon sun. And aside from the slightly choppy waters, there was nothing before him but clear blue skies as far as the eye can see. He had always been quick on his feet whenever there were chores to be done, and running up and down the rigging came naturally to him. He could get used to a life at sea... But he doubted he'd be on this ship much longer than a few days. He wasn't here to begin a career as a deck hand. Every person on this ship was here for one reason and one reason only... And it looked like finally, that reason was coming into view. "Sail Ho!" the lad cried out for everyone to hear, causing everyone below to freeze in fear.

Everyone that was, save for the ship's benefactor. She knew the pirate ship would be close by. In fact, that was the whole reason she had funded this entire expedition. While the crew seemed to tremble in their boots, Zilvra De Valle only smiled. It was about time that Jolly Rodger came into view. She was starting to grow impatient. While the rest of the crew went about their tasks in crude shirts and canvas trousers, Zilvra was dressed from head to toe in only the richest finery. Today it was a long, purple dressed of Elbion silk, a high slit at the left leg up to her thigh to give the fabric ample breathing in this heat. Two black satin gloves, darker even than her midnight skin, covered her arms up past the elbow to protect her skin from the scorching heat. And of course a wide brimmed sunhat sat atop her head, complete with a veil to protect her skin from the seasonal migration of mosquitoes. As a lady with both wealth and power, it was her prerogative to remain fashionable yet practical at all times. After all, what fool would wear a pencil thin skirt and lose the ability to reach the dagger in their boot?

As the crew rushed around about her, she caught sight of the helmsman, turning the boat to sail in the opposite direction of the oncoming pirate ship. Casually, without anger or malice, she simply strode over to the helm and gently took hold of the wheel, steering the ship back towards the approaching pirate vessel.

"Uh... Sorry Ma'am," the helmsman muttered nervously with an awkward tip of his hat. "Force of habit, you know."

"No harm done," Zilvra reassured the man in her usual gentle tone. "Can't make our intentions too obvious, can we? And of course, we can't surrender such a beautiful vessel without a chase, that's just bad sport. But let's make sure they spot us first, shall we? Else this entire expedition will have be for naught."

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Mako
Mako leaned against the railing of the ship, his eyes closed.

There was something calming about being at sea. With Radic sending him onto the shore all the time he didn't often get the chance to just simply enjoy being on the ocean. It was an ironic fact really, given that he was a pirate, but it was true nonetheless.

He was more a scout than privateer.

"Boy."​

His eyes popped open, flickering towards the Captain of the SteelHawk as he called to him. The man was the surly type, though he had always liked Mako for one reason or another. Perhaps because he'd been brought up by Radic.

The mute slowly stepped forward, motioning quickly with his fingers. He received a quick nod in answer.

"Aye, there's a ship up ahead. We're gonna take it. You helping?"​

For a moment Mako glanced out ahead on the deep blue, and then shrugged his shoulders. Though he hadn't come to fight, he might as well. Shifting slightly he tightened his sword belt and began to take a few steps down away from the helm.

It was always best to be upfront in the initial attack.

The Captain began to bark out orders, the ships second sail shifting as they moved to catch up with the other ship.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zilvra
"Looks like they've spotted us, Ma'am," the helmsman uttered nervously as the pirate's ship drew closer.

"So it seems," Zilvra replied, her bright teeth flashing in a broad grin as the distance between the two ships began to close. Even the life of a rising crime lord was becoming repetitive and monotonous. It was a rare treat to experience a little adventure once in awhile.

"Should we lower anchor, Madame De Valle? Make the job easier for them?" The captain asked as he descended from the quarter deck. He was feeling extremely uncertain at the prospect of having his beloved ship intentionally captured and wanting to get the process over and done with. If all went to plan, he'd hopefully still have a ship to sail home once this job was through, not to mention his life.

Zilvra contemplated her options. Slowing the ship down would certainly be the sensible thing to do... But what fun was there in sensible? "Boy!" she called up to Urchin in the crow's nest. "Have they raised the red yet?"

The lad leaned far over the railing, holding tight to the ship with one hand and using his other to shield his eyes from the sun. "No, boss! Don't see no red! Jolly Rodger's still flying!" he called back down with a grin of relief. From what he understood a red flag signaled the pirate's intent to slaughter every poor soul on board, and as much as he was enjoying his little adventure, a no prisoners policy would certainly put a damper on things.

The dark elf bit down on the coal black skin of her bottom lip as a playful grin slowly crept across her face. "Captain," she spoke with all the confidence of a woman who was very used to getting her own way, "What say you give those oarsmen of yours a workout?"

The captain seemed a little taken about by the woman's response. "Speed the ship up?" he asked, confused. "Ma'am, I thought the entire intention was to be caught."

"Call it a test run," Zilvra suggested. "After all, don't you want to be sure that your oarsman could outrun these pirates if your lives and livelihood were in the balance? Put as much distance between us as possible. If we outrun them, you know you have as fine a crew as such a beautiful vessel deserves. If not... Perhaps it's time you considered hiring some more reliable hands."

The captain clearly wasn't pleased by this little experiment, but it was Zilvra who was paying for this entire journey, and if it was a race the lady wanted, a race the lady would get. Descending into the galley he ordered his men to row with everything they had, and with that, the game began.

While the crew of the ship were hard at work, Zilvra ascended the stairs and made her way to the back of the quarter deck to watch as the pirate's vessel approached. Such a beautiful vessel it was. So much longer and sleeker than the fat little merchant's ship they were travelling on. To have a ship like that under her command... But no, Zilvra could not endure a life at sea for long. The salted meat and dried biscuits that these sailors had to live on were certainly an acquired taste, not to mention the dangers of leaving your enemies unchecked for months at a time. She'd simply have to make the most of this little voyage while it lasted.

Despite the oarsmen's best efforts, the little merchant vessel was no match for the far larger and faster pirate's ship. Zilvra's log, sharp nails dug into the wood of the railings in anticipation as the distance between the two ships grew shorter and shorter. Their visitors would be there soon... Very soon.

"Uh... Boss," the little red headed lad chirped up, drawing a sigh of irritation from the elven woman as he interrupted her thoughts. At least he had well and truly developed his sea legs, as the lad had managed to scamper down the crow's nest in a matter of seconds. A feat that Zilvra would certainly never attempt. "Figured ya didn't need me in the crow's nest no more, since... Ya know... The ship's right there," he said, pointing to the pirate ship that was now mere meters away from them. "Anythin' ya need me ta do? Sort out yer cabin? Make some tea or summin'?"

"A charming thought, my pet, but I believe our guests may be partial to stronger beverages," Zilvra said, giving the boy a gentle pat on the head and stroking his fine, red hair. "What's say you go down to our hull. We want to be sure our cargo is in prime condition after all."

"Got ya," the boy said, sprinting across the wobbling deck as if the constant rocking of the ground beneath him were an entirely natural thing. He had a promising future as a smuggler, that boy. If he survived that long.

But there was no time to think of that. Zilvra held tight to the railings and braced herself as the two vessels finally crashed together. Soon after, the gangplank was lowered and the pirates would start boarding. And once they arrived, she wanted to be damned sure that she was the first person these hell-bound pirates laid eyes on.

• Popcorn
More often than not, piracy was easy.

There was a misconception that every ship taken, every treasure seized, was a hard fought battle where many people died. This fact was simply untrue. Most people when faced with certain death at the hands of greater warriors simply chose to surrender.

It was the smart an expedient thing to do. The waters around Alliria were no different. Why risk your life for something that didn't matter? Why fight for another man's dime? There were exceptions of course, always were.

Anirians always fought to the death, but this ship was definitely not Anirian.

The gangplank slammed down on the edge of the ship, and within minutes the whole place was littered with more pirates than it was with sailors. Dozens of men adorned with warpaint streamed onto the vessel, some in red, some in blue.

Mako was among them, though he had no paint upon his face.

He strode with the Captain, moving in front of the man and clutching a small knife in his fingers.

"Where's the Captain now?"​

The man besides him bellowed, his voice echoing over the ship as the Sailors held up their hands. They all knew this was not what it seemed, though the Pirates had yet to find that truth.

• Popcorn
"Where's the Captain now?"

"Cowering in his cabin, I would imagine," Zilvra spoke up, taking command of the situation in the Captain's stead. Nobody else said a word. Nobody moved. They didn't dare. Zilvra on the other hand, felt comfortable speaking to these pirates as if they were guests that she had specifically invited over... And in a way, she supposed they were.

"You may join him if you wish, though I imagine he would defer his questions to me, considering I am the one who funded this little venture. The crew may answer to him, but I am the one who pays their wages, and likewise I am the one who supplied the cargo. As such, I'd say it's fate concerns myself far more than it does him." Doubtless this was an unusual greeting for a pirate to receive. No doubt Mako and his comrades were used to people either cowering in fear or cursing them out as Godless bastards. Zilvra, on the other hand, extended her hand towards the Captain. "Zilvra De Valle," she introduced himself. "You are Captain Radic, I believe. A pleasure. I have heard many tales of your exploits. From what I understand, there is not a ship in the Akiva Sea that can escape you once you have it in your sights. And a shrewder business man has yet to be found. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed by some of the wild stories I've heard. I do hope they have not been embellished... But I suppose you didn't go to the trouble of chasing this ship down for idol flattery. I imagine you're curious to see what treasures our humble vessel has to offer." Zilvra then extended her hand towards the foredeck, and the stairs that led to the hull. "Please, do not let me stop you."

• Popcorn
"Uhhh."​

The Captain of the Steelhawk glanced at Zilvra, then towards Mako for a moment. It was true, they were not used to such greetings, at least not always. It happened from time to time that a ship would just surrender, or simply be chatty while being taken.

Not everyone wanted to die after all.

Mako twirled his sword for a second, slipping it back into the scabbard. There was no threat here, and thus no real need to keep the weapon drawn. His arms crossed over his chest, head turning to watch the conversation.

"I ain't Radic."​

That was most certainly true, Radic wasn't the type to have this kind of conversation. In all the years he'd been with his pseudo father Mako had never once seen the man let a crew give up without a fight. Radic reveled in the slaughter.

No blood. No surrender.

"But I will be acceptin' your surrender. Go get the cargo boys!"​

The Captain called out, the pirates around him immediately moving to follow his orders.

• Nervous
Reactions: Samara Asenta
"I ain't Radic."

"My mistake," Zilvra apologised, lowering her hand that apparently the pirate had no intention of taking. Probably for the best. From what she had heard of Captain Radic, he wasn't exactly a pacifist in nature. This man may be easier to deal with. "Though I suppose I should have guessed as much. From the descriptions I've heard, this beautiful ship of yours is not the infamous Red Crow. A pity, I had hoped to see it... Still, I imagine that Captain Radic holds you in high regard considering he has seen fit to place you in charge of his sister ship. I am sure the crew is as pleased to surrender to you as they would have to Radic himself." Moreso, considering they were lucky enough to keep all their blood in the process.

"But I will be acceptin' your surrender. Go get the cargo boys!"

"I do apologise if you find our cargo a disappointment. I personally am very proud of it, thought I suspect it is not the kind of merchandise that you would be used to dealing." A slight smile twisted the corners of Zilvra's lips as she waited patiently for the pirates to return to the deck to show the captain what they'd found.

Mute waited silently in the pitch black of the cargo hold. The air around him was think with tension and uncertainty as they heard the loud crash of wood against wood, feeling the jolt as the gangplank was lowered. A slight pause of silence before the sound of approaching footsteps grew ever louder.

"What's 'appenin'?" the little urchin whispered, but Mute only slapped his hand over the boy's mouth, coaxing him to silence. This was not the time for conversation. The plan was in motion and it was his responsibility to make sure it went off perfectly. If not, he might very well pay with his life.

Eventually the doors to the cargo hold opened, and when they did, the pirates would be greeted by the sight of near fifty strong mercenaries. The first row of about ten was made up of men and women with a sword in one hand and a large wooden shield in the other. Behind them, perched between the gaps in the row of shields, were archers, all with bows drawn and already aimed at the pirates that had just opened the doors. The following few rows were made up of alternating swordsmen and archers. Mute had specifically designed this arrangement to leave a minimal chance of the pirates attacking. Had the mercenaries all been soldiers, the pirates may have simply charged, but with the arrangement as it was, the first pirate to attack would be instantly killed by the archers, and any who followed would have to first make their way through the shield wall, giving the archers ample time to reload while the pirates and swordsmen did battle.

Luckily for both pirates and mercenaries, bloodshed was not the goal of this venture. Rather than signalling an attack, Mute held his hand up firmly in a gesture for his comrades to hold their position. They would not attack unless they were attacked first. And if any of the pirates did attack, they would be sure to kill only those who posed an immediate threat. Their goal was to get through this ordeal with minimal bloodshed.

"Uh... Surprise!" Urchin declared cheerfully upon the pirates arrival. Mute only sighed and shook his head. This was a very delicate situation. Now was not the time for jokes.

Ah the ocean. Wide. Open. Blue. Free. And with nowhere but below deck to hide when that wide, open world was heated by a sun whose rays scorched everything in sight. It wasn't the light, but the heat that exhausted the Dark Elven vampire.

This time was better and yet also worse. At least no one expected her above deck, but that also meant they expected her to stay below deck. Cramped quarters and even further restrictions on her movement did not make finding... sustenance easy. To say nothing of the woman that'd convened this little venture -- she was a sharp woman. One that might recognize what was on board if too many had sore necks, and inevitably who that what was.

Her companions were without any sense but their ears, and Urchin made little effort to stifle his curiosity. Meanwhile, Samara could see perfectly well in the cargo hold. In fact, being in such consuming darkness was an absolute delight. The sun's light really did a number on her eyes.

Soon enough the pirates arrived and threw open the door expecting their loot only to find the band of mercenaries waiting instead. 'Surprise' indeed. Dshara that youth had a mouth on him.

"Put down your weapons and you'll be spared," Samara clarified in case the situation hadn't been made readily apparent to the boarders already. Fifty swords and bows were pointed at them. They could surrender -- and possibly be hung or just imprisoned -- or they could fight and be killed. Either way, they weren't leaving the same way they arrived, and certainly not richer for it. Time to cut their losses. Either way worked for the Dark Elf, of course; wasn't like any of them likely carried weapons intended to slay a Vampire.

• Cheer
"Errr, Cap'n."​

The voice of one of the pirates turned Mako's head. He was still standing just opposite the woman who clearly had command of the ship, his shoulders relaxed and his frame speaking of just how much all of this disinterested him.

Lips thinned though when the other Pirate returned.

"We got a problem. There's uhhh, there's soldiers."​

Pirates, generally speaking, did not want to fight soldiers when they could avoid it. Most Pirates could fight well enough, hell they could hold their own any day at sea. Fighting soldiers though was different. There was training, cohesion, not just slaughter.

Mako could sense the fear in the air. Whatever men the woman had down there were likely more than the pirates wanted to fight. A fact which the Drow had likely known from the very beginning given her attitude. Quietly the mute looked her up and down, lips thinning.

He glanced over towards the Captain, his men. There was weariness on the Pirates faces, a fact which was more than obvious when the Captain turned towards Zilvra and growled at her.

"What the hel-"​

Before the Captain could finish Mako did what Radic, his father, had taught him to do.

He took control of the situation, at least as much as he could. At his core he was a pirate, a thug, a murderer. It was what he would always return to.

As the Captain swore and took the attentions of those around them Mako quickly stepped forward. He was a sudden blur of motion as a knife slipped from it's sheath on his thigh, and his arm reached out to grab Zilvra and tear her into his grasp. The blade in his hand went for her throat, Mako doing his best to grab and hold her.

A bargaining chip.

• Popcorn
Now, most people would probably be afraid, being taken captive by a pirate with a knife at their throat. Zilvra only smiled. "Now good sire, is that really necessary?" she asked, her voice sounding clearly amused and entertained by the whole ordeal. "I understand that my cargo may not be the bounty that you had in mind, but a lady can never be too careful on the open seas, particularly where pirates are involved. You understand."

Mute emerged from the hull alongside the other mercenaries, and seeing that his boss had been captured put him in a state of uncertainty. He signalled for one of the archers to take aim at the man who had taken Zilvra prisoner, but Zilvra only raised a hand dismissively. Only a slight hiccup. Such a response was expected really. Nothing that disturbed her plans at all. "Perhaps we should take this conversation to a more comfortable location. The Captain's Cabin, perhaps?" Zilvra suggested. "I imagine you gentlemen could use some refreshments after such a taxing morning. And I imagine you must be disappointed to have no tangible goods to show for all your efforts... Perhaps I can remedy that."

• Popcorn
A job had come up in Alliria for Tinus. Someone with enough coins to buy a ship and man it full of mercenaries was in need of those same mercenaries. The details of what they needed them for was unknown. The job of these hired fighters was simply to hold themselves up in the cargo and discourage some pirates from seizing the ship while the client spoke with them.

Tinus was sure something nasty was in the works, but his job would be nothing different from usual. Just guard the ship and the client from some pirates after a bit of a show of force. Simple and straightforward work. So he took the job once his own conditions as a Kel were agreed upon.

The trap in the hold was sprung after the pirates boarded and finally things were in full swing. Tinus was one of the first to make it up to the deck. Instead of heavier armor he was in lighter hard leather and linen. Neither would soak through if something happened and was light enough to not drag him under while still offering some degree of protection. A hatchet and shortsword hung from his hips along with a small quiver of bolts. In his hands was a light crossbow instead of the bow and arrows most of the other mercenaries had decided to use.

What greeted him was the scene of his client being taken hostage by the enemy commander. Instantly his crossbow was up and aimed right at the man's head. The raised hand was the only reason the trigger wasn't pulled. His metal mask reflected light as he stayed trained on the man. He waited for any reason to let his bolt loose into the man.

Zilvra Mako Samara Asenta

• Popcorn
Reactions: Mako and Zilvra
Samara emerged onto the deck with a scowl as the light struck her eyes. Fortunately the conflict between groups had diminished, and was replaced by the scene of Zilvra being in Mako's hands. Pleasant in that no one managed to stab the Vampire while she was momentarily blinded. Though it seemed to have drawn everything to a halt.

Zilvra offering to 'remedy' the pirates not having anything for all their effort was mildly perturbing, but could be a ruse. It was to be expected of what might have been a progenitor of Samara's own lineage. Seemed likely the pirates might think it convenient as well, but then the numbers really weren't in their favor at this point.

"We won't sink your ship while we talk." A sweet smile crossed her lips to reassure their new 'guest' talking wouldn't kill anyone. Not initially, anyway.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Mako and Zilvra
"You be talkin to the wrong man, lass. Literally."​

Mako held the knife tight against Zilvra's throat, seemingly unphased by those pointing weapons at him. He couldn't dodge a crossbow bolt, not at this range, but at the very least he had time to kill the woman he was holding. That would be a win in his eyes.

The young boy looked at the Drow, his expression neutral as he slowly stepped backward towards the edge of the ship. As he moved he took Zilvra with him, taking careful measure not to pierce her skin with the tip of the knife but readying to do so if she tried anything.

"Boys a mute. Can't say a word."​

Mako looked at Zilvra, shrugging.

"But ye wanna talk, we can talk. But you'll have to forgive me if we don't go no where else."​

There'd been enough surprises for one day.

• Popcorn