Open Chronicles Hidden In Plain Sight

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Aineflynn

Time slowly danced about, and soon it was well past noon. Aine found herself moving closer to a nearby village. It was a decent size for a town though Aine only compared this one with the much smaller ones she came upon on her travels. This wondering soul made sure to avoid any chance of contact with any person on the road and kept her hood down to hide what she could only feel would be a gro·tesque sight. The brownish gloves that she wore pinched the neck of the black fabric closed. They were the only things that a stranger could see, well, that and her dirty slippers peeked out from under the hem of the robe and dress.

A large-shaped wooden cart pulled by a lovely brown mare moved past her. The driver was an older man with a long white beard and a few tuffs on the top of his sun-kissed skin. He looked to be no more than seventy, but looks can be deserving again. The back of the wooden cart looked to have items that a farmer would have to trade at the market. Aine took this opportunity and stealthily leaped into the back when the vehicle passed, hiding under a few large quilted blankets.

She released the air from her lungs with relief that she had done this little maneuver without being seen. After a few more well-felt bumps, she felt the cart stop. Aine hadn't thought this threw as now how she could get out without the driver knowing she had been there. Aine stilled her heart to stop beating so loud in her ears so she could hear if the older man were approaching the back of the cart.

Soon a harsh voice she could only assume was the older man began to talk to someone that had the same tone but just a bit deeper. The two seemed to be joking, and one offered the other a drink before setting up for the market. Oh, thank the goddess Aine thought to herself. She willed the different voice she assumed once more the older man would accept, and by a miracle, he did.

Once she thought the coast was clear, she slithered her way out under said blankets and onto the ground. She was dusting herself off and looking around to see if anyone saw. As far as she knew, no one paid mind to her, and off she went to seek a tavern. She had but a few coins in her purse, and it would maybe buy her some bread and drink.

• Yay
Reactions: Anubis
Amelia smiled her brightest smile as she handed the sword off to the armored man. "Here you are. The finest craftsmanship in Alliria delivered straight to your hands!" She took a step back and tried not to let her anxiety show as he examined the blade. Oh, she hoped he liked it. Elra and Tanith really wanted this sale to go well. They even agreed to their client's demand of having it delivered.

Usually, the Mistfall's expected their customers to come to them. But apparently, this adventurer was the son of someone on the Merchant Council, and you could always use more friends there. What if she made a mistake? What if he hated it? What if the Mistfall's were so angry they threw her out and forced her to go back to her village in shame? This is so stressful!

The warrior turned the sword over and made a slight 'hmph' noise. Was that a good or bad sign? Eventually, he shrugged. "It'll do."

It would? Wonderful! Amelia grinned as she accepted the payment from the man. She could keep her job! She wouldn't have to go home in shame! She spun around and hurried off, almost colliding with a young woman in her haste. "Oh sorry, I mean, excuse me!"

Aineflynn

Aines thoughts were so clouded with hunger and weariness that she almost didn't see the young woman dart in her direction.

Quickly she pivoted on her heels to try and dodge the woman. Aine held a breath doing so. No Touchy, No Touchy. She pleaded in her mind as some god must have heard the plea as she successfully dodged the woman.

"N, no tis a'richt, na harm dane." Aine's soft voice spilled out from the hood in reply.

Aine was just glad that the outcome came out well and not worse.

"
It likelie wis mah fault pure, a'm a bawherr distracted at th' moment."

• Yay
Amelia took a half step back to be polite and smiled. Grateful that she didn't knock the nice stranger over. That would've been really embarrassing. She tilted her head when her new acquaintance spoke. At first, she couldn't tell if she was speaking the same language or if she just had a thick accent.

Still, she could understand enough to know what she was saying. At least she hoped so. "Oh, no problem! I was a little distracted too," she said with an awkward laugh. "So, where are you from? You don't look like the rest of the townspeople. No offense of course! I'm not from here either, heheh.

Aineflynn

"Is it 'at obvioos?" Aine asked in a half-hearted joking manner to make things feel less awkward. She made sure there was some distance between the two of them and any other busy little bee that needed to get by them. It wasn't an easy task to crawl out of her shell as she was far used to just blending into the background, but apparently, the gods had other plans for her today.

"Nae offense taken, aam jist a simple traveler lookin' fur a rest an' bevvy, ye say yer new haur, but dae ye happen tae ken a guid inn ur tavern?" Aine's continued dodging the first question as best she could. Her thick accent once more hugged the ears like a soft blanket in a most exciting fashion. A sudden low grumble escaped from Aines lower torso. A rush of the heat of embarrassment colored her cheeks. Thank whoever created hoods, life savors. She thought.

"Sorry abit 'at, ye ken hoo it is, ye gie sae thrang, ye forgit tae eat breakfast." replied with a forced chuckle.

• Yay
“A little bit, yeah.” Amelia laughed a little at the young woman’s joke. Happy that she’d forgiven her for nearly knocking her over. A lot of the city folk she’d met were far less forgiving. “But that’s okay. I actually just recently moved away from my hometown. Ah, not to here though.”

She paused at the question and tried to remember if she’d seen a tavern while traveling through town. But her concentration was soon broken by the sound of the other woman’s stomach. She fought to keep a smirk off her face but didn’t quite succeed. “Don’t worry! I think I saw an inn near the entrance to town. C’mon, I can show you the way!”

Without actually waiting for approval she started off in the direction of the inn, stopping only to check if she was keeping up.

Aineflynn

Aine didn't hesitate and followed, trying to keep up with the seemingly sprightly woman.
She honestly had no choice but to accept the offer. The lack of sustenance and being in harsh elements saw to that.

It wasn't bad anyway, she just had to keep a respectful distance from the woman and anyone else, and maybe this day would end well.

"Ta fur yer kindness, tis muchly appreciated," Aine called to the woman.

Amelia smiled and waved her hand. “Hey, don’t mention it. I’m happy to help!” She carried on, trying not to be too obvious about the fact that she didn’t quite know where she was going. It would be embarrassing if she managed to get lost when trying to show someone else the way.

Fortunately for her, she soon spotted the inn on the side of the road. She slowed her pace so the girl could catch up and pointed. “It’s right there. It’s a good thing I found it, because I’m, actually going to need a room here myself.”

Aineflynn

Aine had indeed caught up; and looked in the direction of where the woman was pointing. The Inn looked like a big beautiful beacon of hope as the sun poured down on it from above; at least, that is how Aine saw it.

She turned her attention back to the woman as they walked, listening to each word and how they sounded coming from this new acquaintance. Could it be that she wasn't the only one who wrestled with their insecurities? The thought and feelings that danced with it were new to her. It did cause some relief to her, but at the same time, it just made things more emotionally complicated.

She could be overthinking this, like she tended to understand what people were saying, then what was coming from their lips.

"Och? och, ah'ament aff tae bade, ah will be movin' oan wance ah hae a guid rest 'n' drookit mah whistle." She replied, not wanting to elaborate that she only had enough coin for a drink and maybe something little to eat, not both.

"Forgive me; they ca' me awn-ye, 'n' yer fàilte tae jyne me if ye lik'?" She continued by introducing herself and offering her company at the Inn. It wouldn't hurt anything, really now, would it?

As they grew closer to the Inn, the smells of deliciousness filled her nostrils, and soon her stomach once more gurgled with glee at what could be making such a tantalizing aroma.

"Almost thare lassie, calm yourself." Aine awkwardly chuckled a little while placing her right hand on her stomach to try and quiet it.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Amelia paused when the young woman spoke up, tilting her head as she listened. She had to pay close attention to understand each word, but she managed to figure it out. At least she hoped so, she really didn’t want to embarrass herself or offend her. “Oh, so you must be a merchant then? I’m a blacksmith myself. Or, a blacksmith apprentice, at least.”

“Aine huh? I’d be happy to join you. I’m Amelia.” She smiled and held out her hand for her to shake. She stifled a giggle at the way her new acquaintance’s stomach continued to growl. But opted not to comment on it.

Aineflynn

She shook her head as she slowed her walk to a stop, turning to look at Amela.
"Naw lassie, a'm na merchant, a'm juist a traveler that doesn't lik' tae bade in yin steid fur tae lang." She shrugged.

"Path o' a blacksmith, that's a gey impressive thing, remind me nae tae git intae a rammy wi' ye, ye likelie cuid chap me oot wi' yin pinky." continued with a chuckle.

Aine looked down at the hand and back toward Amelia, and dredge began to bubble up again to avoid not being rude and pissing off the blacksmith. She looked up and over Amelia's shoulders to see the inn's porch right behind her.

Quickly Aine strode up the steps to the door, turning toward Amelia opening it.

"A pleasure tae meet ye amelia, let me get the door for ye, its the least A can dae for yer helpin me." Aine replied, standing there with the door wide open. Was this a smart move? Nope, not really. It had a high failure rate, but she could pull it off with luck, not offending Amelia.
She began to sweat, hoping the woman didn't notice the smoke and mirrors Aine hid behind.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Amelia nodded along with Aine’s answer. Not a merchant, is she an adventurer? No, no, she’d already embarrassed herself once trying to guess her profession, she’s not going to do it again! She grinned proudly at the compliment. “Thanks. I’ve only just started, with crafting things other than fishhooks and horseshoes that is. but I think I’m getting better.”

She glanced down at her hand when Aine walked off. Was shaking hands not a thing where she came from? Weird. Or did was it an offensive gesture? She stiffened at the thought. Her mind raced to think of ways to apologize until Aine’s voice snapped her out of it. “O-oh, yeah, thank you!” Too relieved to think any deeper, Amelia stepped through the door and into the inn.

Aineflynn

Aine smiled as she followed Amelia's movement into the inn. Amelia couldn't see her smile, but she did it anyway out of habit.

"Oh yer welcome lassie, fishin hooks an horses shoes ye say, whit little Ah know o ye, Ah still find it impressive an have a feelin ye'll be onto greater things i na time." She replied, following behind Amelia and shutting the door behind her.

Aine's nostrils and ears found themselves pleasantly assaulted with the smells and sounds of the establishment. Patrons from all over were either heading up or down the stairs to their left, a small wooden desk. A petite size older woman sat behind the desk, looking to be reading some book. The drinking, eating, and laughing came from the area to the right. The foundation was like a local tavern. It had a long wooden bar, many tables, and one large fireplace located in the back wall center. Different Barmaids rush about while the two barkeeps handle orders—a tall young male with a darker tone to his skin and a tall, shapely young female with tan tone to her skin.

Aine's stomach began to threaten to protest again in a very embarrassing way, so she gestured toward the bar.

"I'm gaun'ae head i an get me a drink an somethin tae eat, want me tae order ye something?" She asked.

Amelia also smiled when she heard Aine's first comment. "Thanks! I did finally get a blacksmithing job back in Alliria, making things other than fish hooks, but I'm still an apprentice for now." She took a long look around the tavern, mainly focusing on finding an empty table. Preferably one with the slightest bit of privacy.

"Hm?" Her gaze bounced back to Aine when she mentioned the bar. Not quite where she'd prefer to sit, but she'll make do if that's where her new acquaintance wanted to sit. She shook her head. "No need, I'll come with you! I'm not really sure what they have here anyways." She laughed.

Aineflynn

(Sorry for the late response, for whatever reason I didn't get a notification.)

"in thon case instead o sittin at the bar, its probably best tae get an table. A hope ye dinnae mind, but A prefer a table i the back o the room." Aine replied, gesturing toward the bar, then the table as she moved forward. She'd glance toward the side to see if Amelia still followed and hoped her new companion wouldn't mind sitting at an empty table. The bar was more for socializing, and she wasn't that sort of creature, for a good reason.

Aine paused her walk once she was entirely into the tavern. She noticed a lot more than she had just stood in front of the door. The wooden walls were soaked in unknown substances, making a patchwork of different colors. An energetic crackling fire happily performed in front of all the patrons in the room. Aine caught movement to her left and turned her eyes in that direction. One of the servant girls bouncing about happily with a tray of items in hand. Her cornsilk locks tied back into a bun with some rogue strands dangling here and there. She was small, young, and fair completion with coal-colored eyes.

She'd turn her attention back to her companion.

(Your OK, as you can see, rl gets to me, and I am slow to post usually, I try to post in a day, but I sometimes get busy and unable to post for maybe two or so days. I'm a very laid-back player, so no rush at all. I'm more about the fun etc. )

Amelia gladly followed Aine toward the table. "Trust me, I don't mind. Honestly, that's where I'd prefer we sit." She was well accustomed to noise, given where she worked, but the teahouse back home wasn't nearly as noisy as the typical tavern.

She checked around for an empty table, offering a brief smile and wave to the servant girl. She was just so happy, it was infectious. She noticed a group vacate a table right next to the fireplace, what an opportunity! She nudged Aine on the arm with her elbow, fortunately for her (not that she knew it), she was wearing long sleeves. "Hey, look over there!"

Aineflynn

(Thanks and no problem. I'm also pretty laid-back, I just don't like delaying things for others.)

Aine's attention went from watching Amelia wave to the servant girl who waved back, gesturing she'd get to them in a moment, then toward the woman's hand on her sleeve. Anxiety began to bubble up in the guts; beads of sweat threatened to appear on her brow, but then she remembered she was touching sleeves, not skin. Aine counted backward in her mind starting with five and ending with one. Soon, she was calm once more as she nodded her head in agreement with her companion.

She moved cautiously to the table that had been relieved of patrons. Aine pulled one of the high back,deeply-scarred, wooden chairs that allowed her to position herself to keep eyes on the door and back to the wall.

"I'm glad ah'ament th' ainlie one." She replied, adjusting herself comfortably, making little screeching sounds here and there. Aine took in the situation she was in, and if she didn't want to stand out like a sore thumb, she would want to act like an average person and not the hermit she preferred to be.

"Ye said ye wur fae anither hometown, if ye dinnae mynd me asking, whit's th' name o' yer hometown? a'm juist curious tae ken if ah micht hae passed thro' it oan mah journey." Asked, trying to pretend to be common.

Amelia failed to notice the discomfort her brief touch had caused Aine, already walking toward the table. The last thing she wanted was for someone else to claim it while they were dawdling. She knew all too well from working at the Dragon's Den which seats were in the highest demand. But she stopped, turned, and waited for Aine to catch up before she took a seat.

She shifted her chair a degree to the right so her back faced the fire, before sitting down. She scooted closer to the table and smiled. Not quite making out what Aine said, she nodded, not wanting to be rude. "Yeah." She scratched the back of her head. "I doubt you'd have been to my village. I'm from the Allir Reach, a fishing village, mostly. It was a cozy place, there was nothing wrong with it really. But it was a dead-end for me, I wanted to be a blacksmith and there wasn't any real need for one there. So, I moved to Alliria instead!"

Aineflynn

"Ye'd be richt, A dinnae think A'v iver visitit allir reach. Sounds nice thouch, A'll have tae visit it sometime." Aine smiled at Amelia as the servant girl bounced over.

"Alright, loves, what'll have?" The girl asked, with all warmth of a summer's day. Aine turned her attention toward the girl.

"A'll have a herbal tea please an the cheaper o ye meat pies, gin ye have any. Gin no whatever is available." The girl nodded her head.

"Alright, and yourself, Miss?" Both the girl and Aine now looked toward Amelia curiously. In those seconds, Aine thought to herself about how this day started than where it was going. She wondered whether it was wise to make friends, even though she wouldn't stay in town long. It would help her not lose more of humanity, and there were signs of what little she had started slipping because of how she lived.

Soon, the ability to even hold a comfortable conversation would be gone, and however, would she find answers to curing herself. The conflicting thoughts of should she or shouldn't she pulled at her like a game of tug of war.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Amelia nodded. It was nice, despite her having to leave it behind. "You should! I-I'm told it's a little, quaint though, not somewhere to go if you like busy places. But sometimes I miss the quiet. It's always noisy in Alliria." She was about to ask a question in return when the serving girl interrupted.

While Aine ordered, she ran through all the tea recipes she could remember Tanith serving. Sure, the Dragon's Den was a higher class place than a village tavern, but there has to be some overlap, right? She didn't notice the girl's question at first, it took her a few seconds to realize she'd been addressed at all. "Sorry! I'll have some angelroot tea, and a meat pie too."

She smiled at the serving girl before turning her attention back to Aine. She seemed lost in thought, for some reason. "So, you travel a lot huh? What's that like? Moving from place to place all the time."

Aineflynn

"It's alright love, a good choice; I'll be back with your items shortly." The servant girl winked and trotted off to get the order filled. Aine's eyes moved back toward Amelia.

"Well, ane coud say its freeing, no bein tiit doun. I'm sure others see it as being isolated, but tae me. It's juist life. A'v been livin like this as far back as ma first memory. Sae, A'm use tae it." She answered, being as truthful as possible and still keeping her skeleton in the closet.

"It's no for the faint o heart, believe me." Aine added, adjusting herself in her seat. She glanced about the room taking in the comings and goings; then, her eyes moved back to Amelia.

"So, when ye become ah blacksmith, dae ye plan oan setting up shop in Alliria or some whaur else? " She asked, and yes, she used when on purpose. Amelia had something Aine had seen many times before on her travels, that beautiful spark that, these amazing creatures had, that you knew deep down in your gut that they would make their dreams come true. It usually was the hard-working type, not saying those who didn't have the same work ethic couldn't make their wants a reality, but those were the types that had somehow won favor with mistress luck.

The tavern would suddenly get louder as other patrons began to cheer and whistle as a man in a purple jacket stepped into view. He would fire a well-practiced grin to the patrons as he began to strum the chords of a very intricate lute.

It wasnt to announce that he was beginning his performance, as the young man continued to walk and talk amongst the patrons. It was moreso to add ambiance to the ongoing conversations. For now, the notes were soft and melodic.

Finally stopping not far from their table, he would lean against the bar as he strummed. "A pint of your finest. Any requests for the night?" Even his speaking voice sounded as if it were in song.

Aineflynn Amelia Rowe

The sudden roar of voices made Aine jump in her seat, which unfortunately made the hood of her lovely robe move to reveal what she wanted hidden, her face. It wasn't that she thought she was ugly; actually, it could be, and it had been a minute from seeing her reflection in a stream or pond. No, it was more that she wanted to blend in and not stand out like a sore thumb.

Aine, now seen, appeared to be a young fair, skin girl with streaks here and there of dirt. The hair looked to be chestnut brown, maybe blacker because it was a bit messy, a bath it appeared hadn't been in her future. The eyes, though, were a striking golden amber color; they were also wary.

Shite! She thought to herself as she chafed lips parted for the moment, then closed them. Aine scrambled, pulled the hood back overhead, and coughed, eyes darting back to Amelia. She could feel the heat from her cheeks as they turned red.

Amelia smiled and nodded as the serving girl left. Glad she managed to pick something they actually had in the tavern.
"Well, ane coud say its freeing, no bein tiit doun. I'm sure others see it as being isolated, but tae me. It's juist life. A'v been livin like this as far back as ma first memory. Sae, A'm use tae it." She answered, being as truthful as possible and still keeping her skeleton in the closet.
She eagerly listened to Aine as she spoke. The lives of travelers and adventurers were always so interesting! But something about her answer made her pause. She didn't sound like she enjoyed living like she did now, or rather, it wasn't what she truly wanted to do. That wasn't right!

She blinked at the last sentence. "Your first memory? Oh, were you born in a nomadic tribe?" That was the only reason she could fathom for your first memories being like that.
"It's no for the faint o heart, believe me."
Now that just sounded sad. Why live like that if you don't like it? Amelia would've said something if she hadn't just met Aine. Might be a little too forward of her.
"So, when ye become ah blacksmith, dae ye plan oan setting up shop in Alliria or some whaur else? "
Amelia's face brightened at the question. She scratched the back of her head. "Well, yes and no. I didn't plan on setting up in Alliria exactly, but it was the closest city to my village. And also, it's the biggest trading hub in Arethil, lots of adventurers pass through there. Which means plenty of work for me! I found a shop called the Dragon's Den that was hiring and have worked there ever since. It's been great!"
Finally stopping not far from their table, he would lean against the bar as he strummed. "A pint of your finest. Any requests for the night?" Even his speaking voice sounded as if it were in song.
While she missed the commotion from when the bard first entered, his announcement caught her attention. She turned her head to see and smiled at the sight. She liked minstrels, well, most minstrels anyways, they performed in Alliria quite frequently. This one even spoke in song, how cool was that? She turned back to her companion. "I wonder if he's any..."
Aine scrambled, pulled the hood back overhead, and coughed, eyes darting back to Amelia. She could feel the heat from her cheeks as they turned red.
"... good," Amelia cocked her head. Curious about what could've made her new acquaintance scramble like that. "Hey, are you okay?"

Aineflynn Finnick

Last edited:
Anubis walked down the trail with a hood over his ears and tail hidden. His sword was hanging on a sheath on his waist. He kept on till he reached a village He stopped by a blacksmith shop to repair his sword. "hello, I'm hoping you could repair a few cracks in my sword," He says pulling out a sleek black sword. HE handed the young man behind the counter his sword and sat on a stool and waited.

He pulled a flask out of his bag and took a sip of the cool water. He watched people come and go. no one of interest. Some girls were talking and there were a few low-level thieves around. nothing much to do but wait. He fidgeted with a ring on his finger, it was his father's and he had it since he was a boy.

He took another drink and slipped the flask into his bag. He wiped his face and pulled his hood down more to hide his face. The day was cool with a few clouds, maybe rain.