Private Tales Hey! I'm a dragon too!

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Kaida often didn't mingle with other squires or even the knights. She always felt like she didn't quite fit. She was still a baby, but to the other squires she felt as if she was too childish for them almost. The older knights made her anxious, and she was always so eager to please, but messing up all the time discouraged her.

In a bout of sadness at feeling so alone, Kaida had made her way out past the training arena, past the orchard, and down to the pond. There were lots of big fish in there, she could see their scales glimmering under the water.

She idly threw a stone, scattering the fish that had come to investigate on potential food. She folded her arms, pinching her skin to try and avoid silly tears. Dragons don't cry! Dragons don't get lonely! But oh was the girl as sad as she was lonely.

Petra Darthinian

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Petra Darthinian
A stone whistled past Kaida's ear. Catapulting across the surface of the pond with four skips before sinking into the depths.

"I can teach you if you'd like?" Came a musical alto from behind the squire. In the next moment, Petra stepped into view. Her body dressed in a soft mauve tunic, her waist wrapped in a belt, her curls secured into a ponytail at her crown, and a soft smile that was aimed at Kaida.

The elf had seen the lone girl from afar, noting the defeated slump of her shoulders, and had come over to investigate and even intervene if she could manage.

Her boots crushed the lush grass as she stepped up to the squire, crouching down to her level. Her hands idly folded in her lap as she tried to convey a friendly curious composure.

"I don't think we've met yet, little one. My friends call me Petra."

Kaida

• Wonder
Reactions: Kaida
Kaida's eyes lit up as the rock whizzed past her ear, her mouth splitting into a wide toothy grin. She stood and whirled around to see who had snuck up on her...promptly making her fall on her rear.

Her eyes still glistened with excitement as she looked at Petra with wide eyes. "You're so pretty! And you smell good! You kinda smell like me, but different! You have magic! Did you throw that stone with magic? Would you really show me!" It was almost all in one breath, and she paused for a moment, the grin still plastered on her face.

"HI Petra, I'm Kaida! I don't have friends, so you can call me whatever! Well, I have one friend but he lives far away and is kinda grumpy." She hadn't even acknowledged that she fell, so excited was she that someone had stopped to even talk to her.

Petra Darthinian

Her smile continued to widen as the excited ramblings of the squire before her inspired a good-natured laugh from her. This girl seemed pure and her innocent joy was infectious.

In a conspiratorial whisper she leaned in and said with mock secrecy, "Funny enough, I too have a friend who is kind of grumpy. Fortunately, he is not far." She tapped a talon on her sternum above her heart. The gilded cord of her bond with Norvyk flaring to life in warm recognition within her chest.

Petra stood and extended her scaled hand to the girl, curiosity bubbling at the girl's words. "And smell like you, do I? Pray tell, Kaida, what does that make you then?" Her lips failing to quell the grin at the light in the girl's eyes.

Kaida

• Yay
Kaida liked Petra! She was so nice, she didn't tell her to be quiet! She was smiling, and that made Kaida smile even wider if it was even possible. She wondered if Petra would get all weird like Orion if she hugged her. An experiment for later!

Kaida leaned in as Petra whispered to her, her eyes glowing with curiosity. She looked to the talon, questions already ready to burst. She held them in, practically quivering at the unknown of what Petra meant.

Kaida took her hand, and Petra would notice that Kaida's pull would feel heavier and stronger than anticipated for a small girl. She could feel the scales on the woman’s hand and her eyes widened. "I'm a dragon!" She pointed to Petra's scales with wonder. "Are you a dragon too?!"

Petra Darthinian

The girl's strength was more than the Knight was anticipating in her grip and nearly stumbled forward from the discrepancy. But, Petra recovered from her momentary shock by covering it with a smile.

Of course, she had heard of Kaida within the Order. But as much as Petra talked and joked with others. She was still a fairly private person and found that resulted in her keeping her nose out of most people's business. This child's included.

And yet here they were. All at once both strangers and sisters. Formed out of kinship and shared duty. Oaths that bound them.

Petra also found the blunt words of Kaida to be refreshing, so often people skirted around her new abnormalities and made her feel more ostracized than not. A freak to be pitied. But instead, here was the eager naivete of a child, and it was a balm to her embittered heart.

The elf followed Kaida's finger to where emerald scales disappeared beneath her own tunic sleeve, her answering smile cryptic. "Something like that. I am neither an elf nor a dragon. But something in between now I suppose." She stood up and pulled the girl up with her before letting go and tucking her hands behind her back "As for you, little one. You're a dragon, are you? How did that come to be?"

Kaida

Kaida was all but beaming at Petra, she already adored the woman. She was nice, and she didn't tease her or call her a liar! She stood, looking up at her new friend, they had to be friends now right?!

Kaida hoped she'd grow up to be as pretty as the scaled elven dragon lady. She had a certain pride, being a dragon, and yet she doubted herself a lot too. A dragon in a human world was tough!

"Yeah! I am! I was born from an egg and everything! I don't know my mom or dad though, I was all by myself. The knights found me, and here I am!" She beamed up at Petra, happy to have someone to talk to. "I choose to take the form of a human because this way I can learn new things, go places a dragon couldn't. Of course, I still love to stretch my wings too."

Petra Darthinian

• Aww
The child's words stoked the coals of emberic memories from Petra's days in Fal'Addas. On nights where instead of the debauchery she had pursued to escape her own self, she would find her place within the grand wooden halls, where music and magic soaked into the very bark of the trees that built the cathedrals in which the elves lived.

How she had roamed the many libraries and stumbled upon that forgotten field journal on the study of dragons, and the kinds that inhabited Arethil. That one moment of discovery had led her down this long road and left her now at the foot at this lake. Staring into the wide eyes of a dragon that looked at her through the guise of a child.

The sudden weight of her journey pressed heavily on her chest. How different she had become, from that woman she had known and run from. Their joys were new, but their fears were the same. The past and now. But she was stronger, and dare she thought, happy?

And the realization left her momentarily breathless. Just a quick inhale of breath and then Petra was back in the present. Lighter for the self-reflection, her smile easier when she answered Kaida, "A dragon you say? To be honest, I didn't actually know dragons could do that. I wonder if Norvyk has been holding out on me..." She trailed off and made a show of looking up at the sky as if in search of her scaly partner, before excitedly looking back at the girl. "How about we go ask him?"

Kaida

• Aww
Kaida wanted to know more about Petra, and how she came to be the way that she was. Petra didn't seem to disbelieve her like a lot of others dud. Even Orion had taken convincing. She missed him, she wouldbhavr to go find him again soon. She adored the reclusive mage, despite his flaws.

She was still glowing with admiration from the woman in front of her, proud of her little explanation of her journey. "Well, I'm not sure if every dragon can, see I don't even know my own species!"

As she mentioned Norvyk, Kaida's eyes widened as she followed Petra's gaze to the clouds above. Kaida gave a little bounce and Petra asked her question, the girl grabbing Petra's taloned hand in excitement. "Yes please!"

Petra Darthinian

• Aww