Private Tales Heart On A Chain

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
proxy.php

The Sea Gallery sat at the very end of the Guest Grove, perched upon the precipice of the cliffs that stood in the warm glow of the evening sun overlooking the sea. The broad, high arches of the white marble were ribboned by grape vines that fluttered in the salty breeze. At each pillar, a windchime sang into the air. From each open archway the sea greeted the onlooker, picturesque such that no single piece of art could quite translate its beauty.

Asemir stood in his lordly robes of greys and blues and silver, hands lightly folded at his back as he watched the sun slowly drift further toward the horizon. He might've been a statue where he stood, erected for a King said to be noble and wise, powerful and honorable, but no such statues had been crafted for Lord Kor Aren. Not because his people did not deem him worthy of such things, but because Asemir could hardly stand the idea of something so blatantly self-absorbed as a statue of himself while he still lived.

Wait until he was dead, he told them, where he could not decline the offer from his grave.

"My Lord," the Sidhe bowed as she paused at the end of the walkway leading to the Gallery.

Quietude greeted the ladies, a sober and fleeting smile over the shoulder of the Lord, "Thank you Calamae. That will be all for now."

Calamae bowed again, offered Ceilidh a smile, then turned and departed in peace.

"My father lived here for a time," Asemir began, "the Guest Grove was once his home, long before the Dusk Court ever existed. He built it himself. Called it his sanctuary away from Summer. When I was younger I never understood why," his brows raised slightly at the memories of short visits here with Veremir, "I understand now."

Ceilidh had seen many beautiful places but the Sea Gallery was a different kind of beautiful. It was utter perfection that she would paint without believing it actually existed. She made a mental note to see if she could come out here and paint or maybe she would just come up here with the baby for some quiet time together.

"I have never been to summer but I can imagine that a sanctuary would be most beloved," she said as she walked up to stand next to the King. "I do not think I would ever want to go back to Summer. I barely want to go back to my rooms," there was a teasing in her voice even though every word was true.

"Is this how you entice people into staying in Dusk?"

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Asemir
Asemir counted her among the lucky few to have never stepped foot in Summer. Ceilidh would, of course, be an object of great desire there: high born, beautiful, intelligent, talented ... single. The pregnancy might put off most men that he could reckon from Summer, but that was hardly the point of this all.

"Hm," a smirk appeared briefly on his lips, "I leave the enticing to the Duskirae Queens. They're far better at it than I ever could be. In truth," and a sigh, long and low, followed the words, "I don't want anyone in this Court that doesn't already want to be here themselves. It's not a life that most fae want for."

Dusk was not a place for the mischief makers or the chaos conjurers. No home for power-mongers or the war-hungry. No sanctuary for the thief or the liar.

"What does it mean to you to become part of Dusk?"

Ceilidh looked out over the peaceful sea. That was it. Peace.

"Hmmm," she thought about the proper way to turn peace into an answer that was worth something.

Ceilidh rested her left hand on top of her growing bump and just smiled as the sea breeze ruffled through her hair.

"Peace," she said finally. "Winter has always been my home but it has not always been kind to me. I do not want to have to worry about another war as I bring my child into this world. I want to live in peace with a new happiness and a new life. I am starting over in more ways than one. Moving here, yes, but embarking on this adventure of motherhood by myself."

The High Lady looked over and smiled at Asemir, "well...not completely by myself..."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
"Your former life no longer holds root in Dusk," Asemir continued, a look of warmth in his gaze at her last words, "Duskirae can no longer participate in the politics and courtly affairs of their former lives. The neutrality of the Court depends on this - we take no sides in war or dispute. We are the mediators, the ones who maintain respect of all things in all places. To become a Duskirae, you will no longer be a High Lady of Winter and it will be expected of you to part with your Winter holdings, including your home there. Can you do this in good faith?"

Ceilidh considered his words. She knew that she would have to sever her ties with Winter to become Duskirae and she had mentally prepared herself for it. Her house was currently being gone through in order to sell it. Her most prized paintings and other sentimental items would come to her but that was it. She was serious when she said she was starting over.

She looked up at Ase and smiled, "yes, I can do this," she answered.

It was the truth even though it was terrifying to think about.

For certain Asemir believed every word she spoke, but it was not exactly his decision to make. Not entirely, anyway. With a slow breath he unfolded his hands from his back and dipped one into the pocket of his robes. There he produced a small, white conical seashell, "Then take this," he began as he leaned down to pick up Ceilidh's hand that rested upon her bump. Turning her palm up, he gently placed the shell upon it and lifted her other hand to carefully cup the top.

"And make your promise to the Duskirae."

Ceilidh looked at the shell that now rested on her palm. Her right hand had created a cover for the tiny shell as she lifted her hands up and looked at the object.

This was it. This was a decision that would change her life and she felt a warmth flood over her at the thought. Yes...this was right.

"I promise to give up my title and holdings in the Winter Court in order to become part of the Dusk Court. I promise to strive for peace and to uphold the fundamentals of the Duskirae."

She finished speaking and looked at Asemir for confirmation that she had done it correctly.

• Cthuulove
Over his tenure as Triumvir of the Duskirae he had witnessed countless promises made to the Court. Some promises were long and heartfelt, others were short and earnest. He hadn't the mind to memorize them and, truly, there were far too many to do so anyway, but there were a few that stood out in his mind from the fathomless many. He suspected, even as short as it was, he would remember Ceilidh's quite well.

Lord Kor Aren afforded the woman a smile of warmth and great fondness, which grew ever so slightly as the shell in her hand gave off a bright white, flickering glow as it transformed into a young lunar moth in her palm; the embodiment of her promise and the sign that the spirit of the Duskirae had accepted her as one of their own. The young moth clung to her hand in the breeze, not quite yet ready to fly.

"Thank you for your promise," Asemir said gently, "it means the world to the Duskirae. You've passed the Proving, would you like to see your new home?"

Ceilidh may have let out a small squeak when the shell turned into moth...may have...she would deny it vehemently. Her smile caused her eyes to crinkle as she looked at the young moth just resting in her hand.

"Thank you for your promise. It means the world to the Duskirae. You've passed the Proving, would you like to see your new home?"

Her blue eyes rose up to the handsome face of her friend - her King now - when he confirmed what she had already suspected.

She was a member of the Dusk Court now. She was no longer High Lady Ceilidh Trahan of the Winter Court. She was simply Ceilidh Trahan of the Dusk Court. She already felt like a load had been lifted off her with this Proving.

"Yes, I am!" Ceilidh was giddy and would have jumped up and down like a child if she was not pregnant...and holding a moth.

• Cthuulove
Smiling, he reached down to her hands and drew them up toward her shoulder where the moth could find a more suitable perch while it grew its strength. Young promises were often full of excitement and hope, but it took time to nurture them into something stronger.

"I will teach you how to find and navigate the Asks for each Grove after the little one is born and you are strong again. For now, if you have need to come and go, I will take you directly." He did not say it aloud but it was insinuated that he was able to bypass the Asks. Perks of being the King. For now, he offered Cee his arm and lead her back down along the stone pathway. It branched off in a direction that had not been visible to her before, heading directly to a wall of stone where a doorway revealed itself.

"Your moth is your familiar within the lands of the Dusk Court. Once it is able to fly you can send it to find me or my own within the Court grounds. Every Duskirae has one, even the younglings. Mine is called Seraph."

The former High Lady looked at the moth resting on her shoulder with a caring smile. It was beautiful and she would make sure it was taken care of so it could grow. She would not betray the Dusk Court. It was her home now. It was her future, her daughters future.

Ceilidh nodded at Asemir's words before taking his arm. She was not sure what an Ask was but she assumed they were some kind of magical gate or something akin to it. She wondered what kind of effect it had on a person if she was not to use them until she was free of the child and recovered from the birth. She did not mind the excuse to spend more time with Ase though.

"How fascinating," she said of the moths use in the Court. She had no idea that they had such things in Dusk and she was quite excited to have it.

Her eyes studied the moth but no name came to her mind. "I shall name it once it gets a little older. I am guessing they have personalities?" She asked with a raised brow.