Private Tales Heart On A Chain

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Asemir

Always
Character Biography
Link
A few weeks following the Heart & Hearth Dreamscape Ball...

It had been a long time since Asemir stood before the main entrance to Ceilidh's house. Too long, for certain - since his departure from the Winter Court - that he didn't even want to try and determine just how utterly long it had actually been. It made the man feel a certain sense of wariness in his presence there today. Would she even welcome him after so long? Would he swim through nostalgia like he had at the Winter Halls while delivering this year's Futures?

Or would he simply be relegated to dredging himself through the sadness and guilt of having left the woman here to her own devices while she grieved the loss of Traynor?

Brow furrowed, jaw set, Ase lifted a hand and knocked thrice on the main door. He just hoped to whatever Fae Gods were watching the red-headed whelp wouldn't answer.

Ceilidh Trahan

Last edited:
It was actually Ceilidh herself that opened the front door. The knocks had caught her as she walked by and she was not the kind of Lady to stand there waiting for a servant to get the door when she could do it herself. Luckily, she was dressed for company in a long light blue dress that matched her eyes perfectly. The empire waist doing nothing to hide her small but visible baby bump.

She pulled open the door and just stood there in shocked silence for a good minute. Ceilidh studied Asemir from head to toe as if she was trying to make sure he was real. She had not seen him in person in months...since she slipped out of his bed that morning after the Wild Hunt.

Cee stepped through her threshold and pulled her longtime friend into a hug. Her head rested on his chest as she just held him tight. "I thought you were angry with me, Ase. I am so sorry I just left..."

She knew the dream had been real but he had been Lord Kor Aren there not Ase. Those were two different people entirely.

When the door opened to the Lady of the house, Asemir found himself at a loss for words. Not altogether an uncommon thing for him - and certainly not something to put a friend like her off. He was a man of few but choice words in general, preferring action over anything else. So he blinked at her, expression leavening as he took in her casual attire and the smallest hint of a baby bump.

So it was true after all, Ceilidh was preg-

"Oof-" her embrace stifled the air in his chest and when he looked down she was hugged against him so snugly that he could hardly spare room to reply.

"Angry?" he managed, a somber smile appearing as he drew one arm and then the other around her petite form, hugging her to him - though not quite so tight as he might've if he weren't so concerned about the whole being pregnant bit. "Of course not, just disappointed," Ase chuckled, burying his face into the hair atop her head and slowly breathing in her scent.

Lovely as always.

"What man wouldn't be if he awoke to find nothing where there had previously been you?"

Ceilidh frowned into his chest. Disappointed was always worse than angry. She did not say anything to that though, no, she was just enjoying being in his arms right now.

She pulled back just enough to look up into his handsome face and just shook her head slowly. "You are ever the charmer, Ase!" Ceilidh admonished him jokingly.

It would be a lie if she said that his words did not make her feel warm inside. She would have stayed in his bed if she could go back and do it again.

Ceilidh finally stepped back from his embrace and smiled again. "Come inside, we have much to catch up on. I heard about what happened at the Coronation..." She absolutely was talking about the potential son that Asemir had.

The High Lady led them inside and closed the door behind her. She ordered some tea for herself and a glass of dry red wine for Asemir from one of her servants once they were comfortably seated on one of the couches in her drawing room.

And just like that his smile was gone with the topic of choice. Catch up, yes, but not on that.

"Mmm," the man rumbled in discontent, brow setting as he stepped along after her and took in the sights of a home he knew like the back of his hand. As if all the memories within here from before had only been just yesterday. Good memories, for the most part, though they were not without their trials and tribulations all. Mostly when he visited it had been to spend time with Traynor and the man's absence from the halls was distinct. He tried not to think on it and definitely would not bring it up.

"I don't think we need to talk about the Coronation..." what was supposed to have been a step in the right direction between him and Maben had been muddled and spoiled by the arrival of the estranged son. The gossip about it was rank - the entire ordeal had been far too loud and entirely too close. And fuck if he didn't want to punch Midir's shit-eating smirk into last millennia.

He'd do it, too.

Asemir accepted the wine gratefully and took a healthy swig, then remembered that he had much to attend to after this and doing so in any measure of inebriation would not be wise. Ase frowned into the glass and slowly swilled it in his hand, "Actually I came here for a purpose." He shifted in his seat and leaned forward to carefully procure from the inner breast pocket of his robes the gleaming golden necklace she'd left on the coffee table at his Autumn manor, "I believe you've been missing this."

Everything in the room stopped as she looked at the delicate necklace in Asemir's hand. Ceilidh felt sick all of a sudden. Not only had she left the most precious gift from her late husband on Ase's table after she slept with him...she had not even missed it. She had then gotten knocked up by her much younger bodyguard. There was so much betrayal in that little chain.

"Excuse me," Ceilidh said as she stood and rushed from the drawing room. She was not sure how long she was gone for but she just needed some air and to cry for a few minutes by herself. Why the fuck had he brought that?! She felt like she had finally started to be happy again and her days were not filled to the brim with thoughts of Traynor and his death.

She did eventually collect herself and returned to Asemir. She took her seat on the couch again and looked at him. "Forgive me, I just needed a few minutes..." Ceilidh finally took the chain and looked down at it sadly.

"It was not me, Ase. I was not the reason we could not have children. I got pregnant way easier and faster than I should have..." Her voice trailed off. She had figured it out. She had figured out that Traynor had used his affinity to make sure she would have kids someday before he died. Of course, she did not know the whole story still.

• Cry
Reactions: Asemir
Asemir's gaze followed Ce's retreating figure until she'd disappeared from sight. The initial instinct to follow and comfort was strong, but he felt weighted to the spot for various reasons. Remaining seated, elbows rested on knees, he lost himself in thought with his wine calmly clutched between the fingertips of both hands. If Ceilidh was gone for long he barely noticed, looking up only when she came quietly sweeping back into the room. The Triumvir nodded to her, dismissing her need to a few moments of collection as no issue at all.

Sitting beside him on the couch, he silently listened to her reverie of the wedge in her marriage to Traynor that had eventually driven so deeply he'd taken his own life over it. Frowning, Asemir took a moment to measure his response. In the end, it was the same as it always had been - support for his living friend. The skeletons that lay in his closet were not for her to know. Especially not now that she had found a new reason to live for. He reached out to her smaller hand that held the necklace and enclosed his own around her fingers, squeezing gently, "He would be so happy for you, Cece. I have no doubt about that."

Ceilidh looked down at Asemir's hand that was holding hers. She let out a huff chuckle at his words. Would Traynor be happy for her? Asemir obviously believed it or else he would not have been able to say it but she was not sure if she did.

"I have my doubts but there is nothing I can do about it now," she replied solemnly but did not take her hand from Asemirs.

"Ase...that dream on Heart and Hearth Day was one of Mab's creations, right?"

Ceilidh wanted to make sure before she went off sounding like a crazy person when she asked him about his thoughts on Griogair.

Asemir's level gaze barely flickered in a blink at her response, "He wanted nothing but your happiness, Cee..." but he wasn't able to bring the point home due to her rather odd and random question. For a moment the man's somber expression darkened ever so faintly and he whisked the sudden wash of emotion away with a short drink from his glass.

"Of course it was," he replied, "everything about it screamed Queen Mab." How could she think anything otherwise? From the setting to the decor to the food and wine selection, not to mention the meddling of the dream's occupants. There was nothing about it that made him think it wasn't Mab from the very start.

"I gave her the letter you sent me on my way out." There we go, his expression lightened again.

Ceilidh flinched. She had been very drunk when she had sent that letter and Mab had not thought it was funny.

"Oh, I know you did...well I did not know when you had given it to her. She about had my head for treason, Asemir."
She used his entire first name to emphasize her point.

"But, anyway," her expression was serious again. "You have met Griogair. I admit that having a child with a male I barely knew was not part of my plan but the child will be loved nonetheless."

Gods, she did not want to have this conversation. She did not want to cry again. She had finally stopped crying and accepted her situation.

"I hope I can count on you to be the father figure in her life, Ase..."

A brow quirked in knowing at Ceilidh and the look he gave her was without an ounce of regret. Served her right to meddle - she was too old for that sort of behavior and she knew far too much about the history between them. He'd not apologize.

Back to his wine, Asemir took another slow drink, listening as she spoke. He didn't look back to her at the mention of her beau, nor her admittance to a bad idea. He could hardly pass judgement on that - fae were a promiscuous people, though he had some trouble wondering just how the odds had worked in the boy's favor for getting the woman pregnant.

"Mm," he pressed his lips together, refusing to voice his opinions on the matter. Ceilidh was getting what she'd always wanted. And he would be here to watch the promised child grow over the years-

"I hope I can count on you to be the father figure in her life, Ase..."

Asemir sputtered into his glass, winced, and swallowed that gulp with some trouble, "Mf- ahm," and he glibly wiped at his face before looking over, "are you ...naming me the child's godfather?"

Ceilidh let out a low, sad chuckle at her oldest friends reaction. "Who else would be the godfather? Mab will be godmother, of course..." It was not as if she had any other friends that she would trust with her child. This was far too precious of a life to leave with just anyone and Griogair had not named anymore before...

"But I need more than just a godfather, Ase. I need you to be the male in her life that shows her how males should act and I need you to love her like she was your own..."

Her words trailed off before she continued very quietly.

"Because Griogair is dead..."

Ceilidh had no more tears to cry right now.

Who else would be Godfather? He couldn't be sure, but certainly she'd considered Baenon? No - Asemir furrowed his brow as he gave that a second thought - that was a terrible idea. And Mab as the Godmother, of course he expected no other to fulfill such a role for Ceilidh. The pair of them had practically mapped the entire plan out back when Cee and Tray had first been wed.

As she went on to explain, a curious line formed on his brow. Love her like she was his own? Asemir supposed he would have done so without Cee ever having to ask ... or demand. Yet he felt as though she were setting him up for a job that should have already been filled, regardless of how little he thought of the prospect of Griogair being father to Ceilidh's first child.

"Because Griogair is dead..."

Oh thank the Gods.

He did not say that out loud. A couple thousand years ago and he might have, but time did many things and one of them was practice of self control over the desire to freely speak one's mind at any and every given opportunity. Something he'd done in his youth with great panache. Asemir raised his brows with a look of mild surprise, schooling his expression to keep the relief from it. She was clearly distraught over the fact and he was finding it challenging to form words of comfort and support that didn't include he wasn't fit for the job anyway.

"I see..." he settled on and made no effort to say I'm sorry because, frankly, it was a lie and he couldn't. Ase set his wineglass aside, shifted a bit closer to her on the couch and lifted his free hand to cup the side of her face. He gave her hand another firm squeeze, "of course I will love your child as though it were my own," and drew her toward him to plant a warm kiss on her head, "you do not even need to ask. Come here."

His hand left her own and moved to wrap around her, drawing her carefully into a comforting embrace, "Have you told Baenon?"

There were a few times that Ceilidh had been thankful for the fae's inability to lie and this was one of them. She knew how Ase felt about Griogair and she glad to not have to deal with false platitudes. She did not need them either. She and the child would be fine. She had everyone she needed and she would be fine. She did not need any men besides Ase and Baen. She mourned the fact that Griogair would never meet his child though. That was a sad turn of events.

Ceilidh snuggled against Asemir like his side had been made to fit her perfectly. He was so comfortable and he was always there no matter what. She was not sure how she had gotten so lucky to have him and Mab in her life.

The High Lady snorted at his next question. "Baenon knows about the baby but he does not know about Griogair's death..."

She took a breath before continuing. "You should have seen him. It was so entertaining to watch his expressions go from bleak to bleaker. Being the pain in the ass he is, he knew I have been wanting a child for as long as he's known me and that he was a poor excuse for that child."

Now Ceilidh giggled, "he also asked be notified as soon as it is born so he can avoid it completely. I, of course, responded that the baby will call him Uncle Baen which caused him to shutter in disgust and look like he was going to vomit."

"Then just to fuck with him, I told him that I cannot wait for him and Aster to have their own baby to which he promptly stood up from the table with his plate full of food and left the house! With the plate!"
A real fit of laughter this time. She loved Baen so much and she loved fucking with him even more.

"Hm," Asemir smirked into her hair, a deep chuckle reverberating in his chest as she spoke of Baen, "you are lucky he thinks so highly of you..." or was it her cooking? His smirk broke into a grin at the thought, but he kept it to himself.

"I'm sure the plate will find it's way home sooner or later. Polished clean to boot," another low laugh followed. Felt good to do so - Asemir hadn't much to laugh or smile about lately. Nothing but tragedy lately it seemed.

"So you know it is a girl? Bit early to tell isn't it?"

She always forgot how warm and safe she felt when she was in Asemir's arms. The vibrations from his chuckle made her smile absently and she just closed her eyes to enjoy the moment.

"I am pretty sure it is my food that keeps him coming around after all these years. Is that not what children do once they move away? They just come back to eat and ask for money. Luckily, he has never done the latter." Not that she would ever begrudge her pseudo son anything ever.

"Yes, it is too early but I just..." Ceilidh paused and let a hand fall to her small bump. "I just have a feeling. She will be a beautiful little girl with red curls and blue eyes," she sighed wistfully.

"Speaking of children..." She had shared some terrible (to her) news. It was his turn to share. "Tell me about your son, Ase..." Ceilidh was practically vibrating with anticipation now. He has always wanted a kid after all.

"At least he still comes around willingly for you," Asemir smirked, "I only ever see him on game nights or when I summon him for something." Not that he begrudged the shuck his privacy. Baenon had a ... difficult start to his life and had still managed to turn out somewhat OK despite everything. In terms of a black shuck? Baenon ranked high on many things.

Amiability wasn't one of them, but how often were shucks really all that friendly without some ulterior motive?

Well, at least she wouldn't have that issue with her new child. Red hair and blue eyes, "Mm," he repressed a snicker, "that intuition of yours is something else." Or was it hopeful imagination? Another kiss to her crown and a squeeze around her shoulders, he rubbed his hand gently up and down her upper arm and frowned as the subject once more returned to that of his purported son.

"Mmm," a lower, grave sound, "there's nothing to tell. I don't have a son, Ceilidh. Do you know how many women spun that tale to me in my youth? Just after my bloodline and the claim to royal lineage. All claims ended up farce, so far as I am concerned he is no child of mine until I have been proven otherwise."

"Have you picked a name yet?"

Asemir was not going to distract her with kisses and cuddles! She wanted the tea and he had it. He was just being a stubborn ass now.

Hmph. "I heard he looks exactly like you, Ase. I do not think you can deny that but do not be an asshole to him in the meantime. The poor kid is probably confused and lost."

In reality, Ceilidh had no idea about what Ameris had been through but no one in their right mind would yell at the Erlking.

"And no, I do not have any names. I have not even thought about it. I am scared, Ase. What if I am a terrible mother? You are so far away and Mab is always busy. I have a million servants but what if I need help because I have no idea what I am doing!"

As much as she had wanted a child, she was terrified. Terrified. There were so many ways to fuck up a kid and this thought process usually made her start spiraling.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Asemir
"I'll thank you not to tell me how to treat a man who threatened my brother unprovoked in front of an entire delegation of Court royals and nobles at the Coronation for King Nairth, regardless of what rumors you heard..." Asemir scowled back at her. Physical appearances mattered not to him - the boy also looked quite alike Midir, and that other Vitae buffoon.

His eyes rolled upwards over an aggravated sigh at the memory of that ...scene. Truly it had ruined what otherwise would have been a rather boring but enjoyable affair. He'd been prepared to have Mab sowing her secrets and casting her rumors all evening, but he'd not been prepared for the rumors to be about him. Especially not after having soundly hermited himself in at Kor Aren for the last several thousand years. There was nothing left for anyone to spread rumors about.

Spoiled mood simmering in his head, he turned his attention back to Cee as she unleashed her insecurities upon him. The scowl faded into a frown, softening into warm concern.

"I don't believe for a second that you would be anything less than a wonderful mother. You helped turn Baenon from a beast into a respectable, intelligent, and honored shuck. Anything after that should be easy." A faint smirk showed - he knew just how much of a challenge Baen had been as a pup. He'd been there through it all.

"You are welcome to come live in the guest grove of Kor Aren at any time. And if you pass the Proving, you could come live with me. Save your manor in Winter for vacations, or for when you visit Mab. Hm?"

Ceilidh shifted slightly and lifted a single brow in the direction of her friend. Asemir was not one to really get angry but she could tell that this boy had truly upset him. She felt bad for poking him about it now. Her hand found his and intertwined their fingers together. She did not want him to be sour the rest of his visit. She also was not sorry enough to say sorry so the gesture would hopefully be enough.

His reassurances did help ease her some. "I had Traynor with the little shit though," Ceilidh said in reference to Baenon. That boy had been something. She did have to admit that they had done well with the shuck and she was proud of the man he had become. She had that support though. Traynor, Asemir nearby, and a slightly less busy Mab...it was different now.

Asemir's next words caught her off guard and she shifted completely now so she was staring at him. The shock was written plainly on her face. It was not so much the offer of the guest grove - she had gotten that one before - it was the offer to live in Kor Aren.

"Ase...that actually sounds amazing," Ceilidh said with a warm smile. "I would just have to find someone I trusted to take over the smu..."

It occurred to her mid sentence that Asemir did not know what she doing for the women of the Night Court. Fuck.

Having help certainly could make all the difference. Asemir had not played as much of a direct role in Baenon's upbringing as they had, but he'd certainly paid his dues in helping to raise the feral boy. Making the offer of being there to help came all too easily for someone who meant as much to him as Cee and that she wasn't against a change of location meant he could actually follow through. The Triumvir of Dusk couldn't maintain his duties to his Court if he lived away in Winter.

"Good, I'm glad you think so..." Asemir smiled warmly, his thoughts briefly drifting off to how pleased some of the ladies at Kor Aren would be to have Ceilidh there. She would fit right in as an artist and feel quite at home among the plethora of other artisans the Court was known for.

"Hm?" he looked back to her curiously, "Sorry, take over what?"

Ceilidh looked down as his curiosity found her. She could not lie to him. She would not lie to him even if she could. She looked down at her hands resting on her bump and started to fiddle with her nails.

"Let me explain everything before you get mad please..."

That would go over well to keep him from doing just that.

"About five hundred years ago during my isolation, I started a side project. I have an entire network of people who work to help smuggle women out of the Night Court. These are women who make contact due to abuse or whatever reason really. They just need to get out. I make it possible and then they are brought here where I help them start a new life."

She finished talking and slowly looked up at Ase's face.

Before you get mad...

The words that never failed to raise an eyebrow.

Asemir did as requested and reserved his judgement until after her words came to a close. That was a lot of baggage to unpack - specifically the part concerning the timeline. During her isolation, during her grief period following Traynor's death. That thousand year span where he'd effectively removed himself from fae society and maintained a streak of focused effort and work in building up the Dusk Court. The passing of a particular millennia where he had not visited nor spoken to Ceilidh, though that had followed nearly two other millennia of much the same after his departure from the Winter Court.

Broken hearts and shattered dreams took a long time to overcome. He knew it as well as she did.

The Triumvir inhaled a long, slow breath through his nostrils, attempting to collect the scent of the woman that so often elevated his mood. It wasn't working. The breath issued back out over a long, drawn-out mmmmm. Brow setting over his eyes, Asemir extricated himself gently from beneath her and stood from the couch. After a moment to gather his thoughts, he adjusted his coat and nodded, "Yes, you will need to find someone to take over for you."

Because she would not be doing any more of that.

Ceilidh was slower to remove herself from the couch. She caught his hand in her smaller one.

"You are not leaving, Asemir. Talk to me," her voice was soft as she held his hand like she was strong enough to keep him in place.

"I have never been in danger, I do not get the women. I am always here. I recognize that it is not something I want to continue with the baby anyways...whether I was moving to Dusk or not."

If he walked out right now, she would break. She had been acting strong for so long. She was not sure if she could do it if he was mad at her too.

Of course she had the gall to ensnare his anger at her stupidity.

"Do you realize the amount of danger you willingly put yourself and everyone else of Winter Court in? That kind of operation is enough for the Night Court to go to war if the wrong people found out. I don't think you realize how unstable the Princes are-" he pitted her with a sharp gaze but he hadn't pulled his hand from hers, "there's a reason only I deliver their futures every year. And you're bringing Night Court women into Winter? Does the Queen know about this? What if they were Sleepers, Cee? You cannot trust them."