Private Tales Have you heard there's a rumour in Alliria?

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Aodhan and Ilyena glanced up from where they were sat at the table. There was no hint of surprise on the formers face who carefully raised his mug of steaming coffee and took a pointed sip, but the young avariel let out a squeal of joy and all but flung herself out of her chair to give Thea a hug. Gawyn watched in bemusement from where he stood by the stove, dutifully and steadily creating a pile of warm pancakes.

"Are you here to play Princesses?! Did Daddy let you sleepover?! DID YOU HAVE A SLEEPOVER WITHOUT ME?!" The last angry question was directed more towards Gawyn who held up his hands in mock surrender.

"You fell asleep! Besides, we wanted to tell ghost stories and you don't like being scared."

Aodhan snorted into his cup.

Ilyena seemed to consider this for a moment with a deep scowl then nodded slowly, her expression smoothing back into a smile.

"Come sit next to me! Daddy made pancakes," she grabbed a hold of Thea's hand and began to tug her to the table.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Althea
Aodhan's subtle acknowledgment didn't go unnoticed. His composed demeanor held a flicker of knowing, and Thea met his gaze only briefly, sharing a moment of acknowledgment that spoke volumes without the need for words. A shy, awkward smile played on her lips, an unspoken agreement between two individuals who understood more than they let on, but she looked away when Ilyena's exuberance demanded her attention. The young avariel's delighted squeal and ensuing hug enveloped Thea in warmth, banishing any lingering embarrassment, at least until Aodhan snorted into his cup.

Ilyena's infectious joy brought a genuine smile to Thea's face, and she reciprocated the hug with a gentle squeeze. "Good morning, Ilyena." she greeted, her voice a blend of warmth and amusement. Following Ilyena's eager lead, Thea allowed herself to be guided to the table, settling into the chair beside the young avariel and casting a look in Gawyn's direction as she mentioned pancakes. "Oh he is, is he? I could get used to this." she grinned at the child, her hand sweeping over her soft hair.

Thea marveled at the cheerful atmosphere that enveloped the breakfast table, soaking in the comfort of it. Ilyena eagerly chattered about sleepovers and princesses, the scent of freshly cooked pancakes filled the air, and Gawyn's diligent efforts by the stove added to the sense of domestic bliss. In that moment, surrounded by the warmth of newfound family, she silently thanked the twists of fate that had led her to this unexpected little haven..

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Gawyn
Gawyn hadn't really been worried that Ilyena would be upset at Thea's arrival. But seeing the two girls with their heads bent together discussing dresses and ribbons and important Princess matters, he felt an ache in his chest ease. Most of the Avariel's in the city took a hand in helping with Ilyena; her parents had been members of their unit after all. But it was largely left to Aodhan and Gawyn as the others had busy lives and there was only so much two men could teach a young girl.

Aodhan glanced up as if sensing the direction of his thoughts and Gawyn banished them. There was no room for sadness and memories today. Today was going to be perfect.

He set down the stack of pancakes in the middle then took his own seat opposite Thea.

"There's blueberry, chocolate chip and maple," Aodhan raised a brow. There was easily enough before them to feed eight comfortably. "What? I was hungry," he shot the woman opposite him a wink.

Thea found herself caught up in the animated exchange between Ilyena and herself, discussing matters of utmost importance to young princesses. The lightness of the conversation and the genuine delight in Ilyena's eyes created a warmth in her chest that she hadn't known in years. The connection between them, even in the simple act of discussing dresses and ribbons, felt like a gift.

Thea always felt painful emotions stronger than any of warmth and happiness, and Gawyn's solemnity caused her gaze to shift toward him, and then back to Aodhan, her heart sinking slightly, hoping she hadn't done or said anything wrong.

As Gawyn set down the stack of pancakes, Thea's attention shifted to the feast before her, sharing a gasp of delight with the child. Gawyn's wink was enough to send her pulse racing, and she laughed under her breath at the exchange between the two males. Mountainous cakes and piles of pancakes - he was either trying his best to impress her, or he was trying to fatten her up, and she wouldn't complain.

"Thank you sweet girl." she said as Ilyena piled a few pancakes onto both of their plates, because Princesses were the most important. Thea groaned quietly at her first bite of chocolate chip and she wiggled a happy little food dance in her seat before feeling the soft fur of the white feline curling around her feet with a hungry meow..

• Cthuulove
Gawyn watched the pair with a lopsided smile in between bites of his own pancakes. The bittersweet taste of the moment still lingered but joy outweighed the lingering sadness. Ilyena's parents would be happy that their little girl laughed so freely. When he glanced across at Aodhan he found the Avariel watching him with those sparkling eyes that saw too much. Gawyn found his own sadness reflected there, and the pride too of how they had made sure Ilyena had kept her laugh.

"I think this is what they call 'making it'," his friend said with that slight smile that may very well have been a grin on anyone else. Gawyn laughed beneath his breath and glanced back in time to see Thea wriggle in her seat like she had with the chocolate cake the night before. A warmth the likes of which he had never felt before swelled inside his chest.

"Thea is going to be living here from now on, Ilyena," the little girl paused mid bite and her eyes grew large as saucers.

"Fwowr rweal?!" the little girl asked around a mouthful of food.

• Cthuulove
Thea hadn't braced herself for Gawyn's impromptu announcement, and a flicker of apprehension danced within her. The pace at which her life was evolving left her momentarily breathless, caught between the comfort of familiarity and the uncertainty of the unknown. "If... that's alright with you.." she told the girl hesitantly with a glance to Aodhan.

Ilyena's happiness was a warm wash of relief, and any traces of doubt evaporated. Thea beamed, turning her gaze back to Gawyn with no small amount of adoration. She was home.

She had been about to say more when a dog barked, a cat screeched, and chaos followed in the form of a chase through the kitchen..

"Ah... Yes.. Peppermint too.." she winced.

• Blank
Aodhan arched an eyebrow and Gawyn grimaced. Ilyena, thankfully, seemed ecstatic enough for all of them.

"You have a cat?!" she cried, pancakes forgotten as she scrambled out of her chair and crawled under the table where the feisty feline had decided to take refuge. From the look of the puppy who had fled to hide under in his bed, Gawyn suspected the cat had started the whole thing. Ilyena quietly coaxed the feral beast out and clambered back onto her chair with Peppermint in tow. The cat looked disgruntled but more than happy to take the cream the child offered by a way of making it up to him.

"He's so cute! Can he sleep on my bed?!"

"What about Butterscotch?" Gawyn pointed his fork in the trembling dogs direction.

Aodhan coughed, covering up a laugh as he realised their pets were now Peppermint and Butterscotch. Gawyn winced.

"They can alternate!"

• Haha
Thea idly prodded her fork into her food avoiding eye contact in realisation that she had single-handedly turned Gawyn's home into some sort of rescue home for stray dogs, cats, birds and wingless avariel..

At Gawyn's words and Aodhan's obvious amusement, Thea tried and failed to smother a grin by shovelling another large piece of pancake into her mouth. Her throat cleared, and she risked an apologetic glance up at Gawyn.

"These are great.." she smiled, her cheeks full as she chewed..

"I have the day off today... I thought I might explore a little more of the city.." she swallowed, her brow lifting, hoping the open invitation would be accepted. "I promise I'll try to avoid bringing any more creatures back to your home." she smirked. And trouble. She'd avoid trouble.

"That is a shame, Ilyena was rather hoping you would convince him to bring home a pony this time," Aodhan said in his quiet near-whisper. The young girl looked up at Thea was the perfect set of innocent doe eyes whilst Gawyn rolled his completely, even whilst a faint blush coloured his cheeks. He had a bad habit of giving Ilyena what she wanted, but it seemed he had an even greater problem of saying no to Thea.

"Can I come?" she asked hopefully as Gawyn finished off his own plate.

"You have school," he reminded her and her face fell.

"It's only maths today! And History," she screwed up her button nose in disgust.

"As I said, you have school. But if you hurry and get dressed perhaps Thea can join us in dropping you--" the girl was out of her seat before Gawyn had fully finished the sentence, a sneaky extra pancake taken with her. The pup leapt from his spot on the bed and charged after her. Together the pair made a racket up the stairs.

"-- Off," Gawyn finished with a quiet laugh then glanced across to Thea. "Do you mind?"

Thea could completely understand the difficulty one would have in refusing the child whatever wishes she had, especially as she looked up at her that way. A hand swept over the girl's hair as she whispered back at her with a grin. "Give me a couple of weeks." she winked conspiratorially.

She watched her go with a quiet laugh and looked to Gawyn with a quick shake of her head. "No.. I'd love to." she answered, her chest squeezing at the thought of such a thing. She shot a glance toward Aodhan and cleared her throat, as though there were any point in hiding it.

The way Ilyena had insisted on taking both her hand and Gawyn's hand caused more than a few stares as the three walked together. Intrigue, she felt mostly, as well as a sweet fondness and the bitter taste of jealousy that she was most certain was directed at her. What woman wouldn't be jealous of her, of this? Thea smiled at Gawyn in spite of it, happily swinging the child's hand as she skipped between them.

• Cthuloo
Gawyn, for his part, seemed oblivious to the looks and whispers. Instead he wore the smiling grimace of a parent who was listening to the same story told for the tenth time. This time, for Thea's benefit.

"-- And then I told Migail that I wouldn't be his girlfriend because he had been mean to Jessimae!" she nodded to herself and sniffed as though she were thirteen years old and not six. Gawyn considered, not for the first time, that when she reached those teenage years that it might be best if he suddenly decided to go lead a Crusade to find the other lost Avariel Cities. There had to be more that survived like them. And they would be far away from teenage temper tantrums. He glanced over Ilyena's blonde hair with an apologetic look.

"Are you my Daddy's girlfriend?" she asked innocently, causing Gawyn to almost trip over the pavement and faceplant the floor.

• Ctuhlu senpai
"And quite right too!" Thea huffed and shook her head in disapproval of Migail. It was difficult to mask her amusement as she shot a look at Gawyn, as though she knew exactly what he was thinking..

'Are you my Daddy's girlfriend?'

Thea's brow quirked as she looked down at the girl with a shrug.. "Hm, that depends. Would it be alright with you if I was?.." she asked.

• Aww
Gawyn quirked a brow at Thea then glanced to Ilyena for her response. The young girl had a thoughtful expression on her face and she was silent for a while as though truly weighing all the options up. Just as he had taught her when making big decision. He couldn't help the tug of his lips into a half smile.

"Yes," she announced with a firm nod after what felt like an age, though relatively speaking had been no more than a minute. "As long as you make him happy."

• Cthuulove
Thea's heart skipped a beat at the child's earnest words. She stopped in her tracks, kneeling down to Ilyena's level and smiling warmly. "I'll try my very best," she whispered, her voice tinged with emotion. "Thank you. He makes me happy too, as do you." she nodded, her eyes sparkling with gratitude and affection.

She opened her arms to pull the child into a hug, refraining from looking up at Gawyn whilst tears pooled in her eyes. "Off you go. Perhaps after school we should have a princess meeting, with cake of course." she smirked.

• Cthuulove
Ilyean squealed in delight and returned Thea's hug with a touch more enthusiasm because of her promise. She seemingly had also forgotten about her reluctance to go to school for catching sight of her friends, the young girl was soon peeling off with barely a backwards wave to go play. Gawyn shook his head in amusement then set a hand on the small of Thea's back and turned her away from the gate before Ilyena could change her mind.

"I hope my protectors threats don't scare you off," he chuckled and leant down to press a kiss atop her head.

Thea leaned into his touch, a surge of warmth enveloping her as she met his gaze with a soft smile. "I think I can handle it." she grinned, watching the child skip off to meet her friends.

"That Migail however better watch his back.." she frowned, but laughed under her breath as she turned to cuddle into him.

"Well. General Tour Guide. Where are you taking me?"

• Smug
"Well, certainly nowhere near the pet store again," Gawyn's deep laugh rumbled within his chest. Of course, if she had asked, he did not think he could deny her. All those months of ignoring how the feel of her body felt pressed against him made him luxuriate in the feel of it now. The way he could stroke a hand down her arm or slide a teasing thumb between her skin and the waistband of her leggings. It was all he allowed himself; if he listened any more to that voice the tour would consist of a reminder of what the inside of his bedroom looked like.

"You know the market, the hospital, now the school...." he tilted his head thoughtfully. "Have you been to the Gardens yet?"

Her grey eyes sparkled mischievously and she shrugged.. "That's probably for the best.." she agreed with a sheepish smile. "I just don't like to see anything caged." she justified as she pressed into his side in a manner that was almost feline, her cheek pressing to his chest and her hand snaking its way around the small of his back, tickled by his feathers.

Her expression lit up at his mention of gardens, but then there was an undeniable flash of jealousy as she remembered her first day here, and the female with the pretty green wings.. "Isn't that where your friend Isis likes to spend her time?.." she asked, quickly realising how she must sound, and so she cleared her throat..

"The gardens would be lovely." she smiled.

• Derp
"Isis?" Gawyn blinked, the other female having been so far from his current thoughts it was like a bucket of ice being thrown over him. His brows tugged into a thoughtful frown as he tried to recall what it was she liked to do in her spare time. The gardens did seem familiar... "Yes... I think she does. It's popular with a lot of residents," his wings curled possessively about her body as they walked.

"It's a bit of a passion project for some of us. This place was always designed to be a fortress and when Thyasari shut the gates... Well, this had to become more than a fort. It took a long time to coax some life into it."

• Cthulu Knife
Thea felt insecure at the best of times. She wasn't exactly whole. Isis was, and her wings were enviable. Not as enviable as his were, though, and those were curled around her in such a way that made her legs weaken. She leaned into him, a smug smile on her lips as she laced her fingers with his.

"I see.." she smiled. "So, uhm.. How does it work around here? It's more.. peaceful, than I'd expected." she looked around. "Is there much of an army for you to lead? Has a leader been elected or, are you the new King?.." she asked with a hesitant laugh..

• Smug
Gawyn huffed a laugh.

"Well when you're trying to hide from the world... there isn't really too much to fight," it was the one positive of what Thyasari had done. Shutting them out had given them a freedom they had never dreamed of in an odd way. "We kept the structure of the army really... none of us were too keen to do the whole Elder thing, and the army is all that any of us really knew. So I... stayed as General. Isis was in charge of feeding the army, now she makes sure to feed the city. Aodhan was in charge of money for the army... now he runs the treasury," he shrugged. "It just... happened."

• Gasp
Thea listened intently as Gawyn explained the evolution of their roles within the city, a small smile on her lips.. "It sounds like you all found your place," she remarked, a hint of admiration and longing in her tone.

"You've done remarkable things here, Gawyn," she added quietly and smiled up at him.. "I'm glad you found me."

She had tried her best to keep her past locked away in her mind, and though it had been something she'd always found difficult to do, these last few days, she hadn't thought about it at all. There was only him, and Ilyena and Aodhan, the little family and home she'd suddenly become a part of. She was helping people again, and forgetting about her own pain in the process. Everything was, well, wonderful.

• Bless
"Me too," Gawyn pressed a chaste kiss to the top of her head. As they talked they meandered through the town already brimming with life as the townsfolk set about their days. He was grateful that for once that was not him, and he could take the time to stroll and enjoy the simple pleasure of this woman tucked against his side. "It sounds like you've found your place too. Aside from working yourself too hard," he gave her a mockingly stern look, "the Matron was saying how glad she is for your arrival. You've become a real asset to the team there in such a short span of time."

Thea felt her cheeks warm and she laughed softly. "I.. Forgot what it felt like to have a purpose.. My brother always said that if I could use my gifts to help people then it was my responsibility to do so." she remembered fondly. "He was right. He was always right.." she snorted quietly.

"He'd have liked it here." she smiled as they turned into the park, her face lighting up at the scent and sight of so many flowering plants and trees.

• Melting
Gawyn smiled at the awe on her face, the way it opened like one of the many flowers they passed with their petals turned towards the sun. The gardens were one of Aodhan's favourite places in the city. As far as he knew, he brought Illyena here nearly twice a week and captured her playing amongst the flowers in his sketchbooks. Gawyn in contrast rarely stepped foot inside. He always felt as though he sullied it with his presence, that he was too tall, too large, too obviously built for war and not the genteel nature of gardens. Thea eased that anxiety. As they walked beneath the cherry blossoms he reached out and plucked one from the higher branches.

"He liked it here even before it became what it is today," he tucked the bloom into Thea's hair. "He always said it felt like a little holiday coming here. Further from the action, the weather, and the food," his lips twitched at the memory of trying seafood for the first time.