Open Chronicles 'Gator Aid

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Sarek Valaren

The Abhorrent
Character Biography
Link
Crossroad Mire was particularly quiet this spring. Usually, by now, a few weary travellers, or careless inhabitants, would have been devoured whole by the vicious bayou 'gators as they begin to emerge from their eggs. The first death at the hand of these savage animals unofficially marked the start of spring for the residents here, but things were quiet this year. These fearsome beasts played an all too important part of the eco-system. If, by eco-system, you meant the diet of the Mirefolk. Hagglesnip's 'gator gumbo was a delicacy that the folk here waited months for. Something was amiss in the swamp, folks had gotten restless and begun to hurl drunkards into the murky waters, yet the results were the same. The 'gators weren't biting, in fact, nobody had seen a single sign of them.

Sarek sighed quietly to himself as he finished tying up his bandages. He was careful not to expose any part of his body, he did not want to subject the folk of the Mire to his appearance - that was if they weren't already familiar. Once done, he donned his heavy robes and stepped out of his ramshackle hut, propped up by a gnarled and sick looking tree, and trudged off into town. He passed a few of his neighbours on the way into the hub of the settlement, the same questions and responses were exchanged, each day had been the same and the monotony was really irking him. "Any maulings today?" He asked, hopefully. The fellow shook his head and, with nothing else to discuss, they parted ways.

If Sarek was honest with himself he didn't particularly care for Hagglesnip's gumbo, but the 'gators were a useful source of food nonetheless. Additionally, he was used to stealing the innards and guts from the beasts to help sustain and nourish his fungi farm and without the dead flesh, it would all be for nought. It was up to him to do something, if not for the town, but for his own poor fungi.

And so, as he trudged into the Crossroads, Sarek began to consider the best approach towards tackling the issue at hand. How, indeed, does one inspire a bunch of rogues, misfits and rejects into acting in the best interests of the community? Well, the answer came to him quickly and he soon realised the most obvious solution. Bribery.

Grabbing an empty wooden box lying abandoned on a walkway, Sarek dragged it into the centre of the main thoroughfare of the community and stood upon it. "Right, I don't know about all of you, but I am fed up with the lack of 'gators in this town. So, I am looking for a team to join me in getting to the heart of this mystery and tackling it once and for all." He paused, nobody had even bothered to turn around as he spoke. Interesting, because he knew many of them had come to fear him. Oh well.

"Might I add, that whoever does decide to join me will be rewarded with a case of my fungi moonshine?" That had gotten their attention. In reality, it was a none too pleasant drink, but in a remote settlement like this, with no arable land to grow the hops needed for alcohol, they had come up with this as an alternative to being dry.

"You are worried...about a lack of gators?" came a voice behind a cart. Hath rounded it slowly, face creased into a frown.

He didn't speak slowly because of his poor human tongue, but because he was thoroughly confused. No, he must have misheard that statement.

The stranger was stood on top of a box. Hath wondered if he was someone important in the area.

The elf leaned forward, his chin touching the end of his staff, putting most of his weight forward.
He wondered why he was even here, listening to a loonie asking for more gators.
»Oh wonderful, so you want more of the dangerous bitey things?« The elf murmured in a dry tone.
But hey, fungi moonshine could be worth a lot to some dwarven alcoholic connoisseur .

• Popcorn
Reactions: Sarek Valaren
Sarek stared at the orc and the dark elf before him. He was puzzled, he understood the words they had spoken to him, but couldn't quite work out what their issue was. Scratching his head, it took a few moments to realise they were fresh faces - visitors most likely.

"Well yes, the gators provide an important source of food for this town, plus their gizzards have all kinds of wonderful uses!" He trailed off for a few moments, explaining the nuances in mushroom farming, before stopping himself.

"More importantly, can I trust you both to aid me? I'm sure once we deal with this, Hagglesnip can sort you both out some lovely gator meat dishes!" He used the terms lovely and dishes loosely. She was a terrible cook but compared to the alternatives here, she may as well be a culinary genius.

A branch snapping was the sound of late arrival. Jirou was ever wandering, and thus so found himself very far from his home again. This was not uncommon. His means of travel varied from on foot to even his luck having him stumble upon a friendly griffin. Truthfully he didn't know they could be friendly. Regardless the ronin found himself bolting back and forth across the continent at unexpected speeds. Coin and mystery guiding the paths he took.

Since Ashieron's... Departure... He has not returned home to Elbion. Though it was his ending destination it would be a long while before he found comfort in his house again. He expected it to be a long time before he saw Ash again. He excused himself to the front to speak with the leader of this expedition, ignoring the disgruntled glances and curses that some others spit at him.

He stood steadfast before Sarek and offered him a deep bow.

"I'm glad to see that you and your team I have not left yet. I am Jirou." He rose from his bow. "From what I can tell there seems to be a disturbance in the ecosystem here. A lack of any regular creature's appearance is disturbing at best. Has there been any signs of the flora being tampered with also?"

Sarek Valaren Faelin K'Abveirin Hath Charosh

• Bless
Reactions: Sarek Valaren