Completed From the Bruised Breasts of Caged Birds

Signe Lusce

The Sublime
Character Biography
Link
She had left her window open that night because she hadn’t left her room in days. She needed fresh air but getting out of her bed, dressing, doing her hair and then walking outside had seemed too much. Not to mention if she did get out of bed, she’d need to bathe and wash her face and finally do a face mask then apply the dozens of creams and serums. She’d have to pull out the jade gua sha and her rose quarts roller and reshape her eyebrows and a million other things that she had once enjoyed.

Signe had enjoyed the process of getting pretty. Now she saw little reason for it. Just like she saw little reason for getting out of bed. Unless that reason was to close her window because it was much too cold. Signe slid out of the bed, wrapping the white comforter around her and over her head. At one point she would have played bride and groom with Seryn, using the white sheets of the guest bedroom in their own home. Somehow Signe had always played the groom, because she was taller and younger and couldn’t tell her older sister “no” but every now and then she could drape the white sheet over her head as a veil.

Of course, the groom would have to be Seryn who was too pretty to be anything other than a bride. The lace scraps and white sheets and flowers from the garden suited her better than the old jacket belonging to Saang. Signe had decided that being the groom wasn’t that bad. She could play that part for now.

Sure enough, the part was brief as Seryn grew out of the play pretend and Signe stopped playing but continued to pretend. Away from home, there was no more reason to keep up appearances.

The window was shut but the room was still cold. Signe was moving back to her bed, planning to daydream the day away like she had all the other days while Sadie was away and she could get away with her pity party. Not that she felt guilty for feeling sorry for herself, it was just that feeling sorry for herself did nothing to help. It did, however, give her the time she needed to build up a pretty face and soft smile.

Another day more, she’d try again tomorrow, blah blah blah—

A flurry of flapping wings, two birds flying to the window to peck and claw at it. Songbirds, though Signe couldn’t tell what sort but could recognize their bright colors and cheerful cheeks, and they chirped at each other— or maybe just at Signe— to try and get out of the room. When they directed their attention to her, she couldn’t help but to start screaming, especially as their talons got stuck in her hair.

Seryn Lusce

The Winter Court had taken its time to melt away the ideals she once held, that one day she would produce a brood of healthy, and preferably male, heirs for a noble husband. She already came to terms that she would have to take the limited freedom she had in the Night Court, that she would merely exist to be perfectly quiet and continue the rest of her life like that.

So why was it harder for her to watch her sisters go through the same? Not all of them could accept their fate, or even survive what was yet to come...

But Signe was just like Seryn.

Her younger sister understood the role they were born into, and that it was easiest to take on the roles expected of women in their station. Her habits of preening and planning her outfits meticulously had rubbed off onto her sister, and at least they were free in practicing such rituals to be seen as pretty to the men of the Night Court. Her goal was to make an advantageous match for herself, and then next work on the same for little Signe...

Now, with their true freedoms in the Winter Court, she had reached a new understanding. She had parted ways with the future she thought herself enduring, but it was poor Signe that worried her most.

And her screams had the third Lusce child running up the stairs and bursting through the door to her sister's room.

"Shoo!" Her hands waved them off, but her voice as soft as it was, carried such a weight to it that the songbirds fluttered out the door. It was awful of her to think that the cat that decided to make it's home here would catch them, when she herself could turn to a red robin, but Seryn came to worry about her sister.

Ensuring the door and window were closed, she guided her younger sister back to bed. Her affinity for fire took liberty of warming the bed, and Seryn did not stop to assess the hair and other possible injuries until Signe was tucked back into bed and herself sitting at the edge.

"You look peaky, sweet one." The elder Lusce sister fussed, fingers going to slowly work out the tangles in her hair due from lack of care the past few days. "Can I coax you into taking a warm bath? Everyone else has gone outside looking for dresses for the Autumn Court's festivities." She did not give reason as to why she had not joined them, but the truth was that she was still not yet comfortable with delving deep into the lifestyle of this Court.

As if any day now they could be dragged back home and punished.

Signe Lusce

Any of the slight scratches done to her brow from the songbirds were soon healing nearly as fast as they had appeared. The issue was that the birds didn’t stop, and Signe’s screaming and flailing seemed to upset them more. Did the thought of transforming into a pine marten cross her mind? It did, but Signe had never been prone into shifting into a animal as small as a pine marten.

If it weren’t for Seryn, Signe most likely would have kept up the irritating dance between her and the birds until realizing all she had to do was open up the window. Luckily, Seryn had the sense to do just that. Signe was grateful that she was the sort to forget locking her door while she was hiding away.

The scratches were healing once more as she was put back into bed and tucked underneath her covers just the way she liked. As if she were much, much younger, Signe tilted her head at the perfect slant to all at once pout at her eldest sister while letting her get ample access to her hair that could put rubies to shame, even if it was a tangled mess.

Festivities? What festivities?” If there was one thing to possibly get Signe out of bed, it was word of a party. She had enjoyed the few she had gone to, not that long ago she had been in Dawn Court, which hadn’t been as fun as her time in the Vitae Court. The only good thing about being in Winter Court was not needing Saang to accompany them for them to attend.

Although this was one instance which she wished he would. When was the last time she had seen him?

Regardless, she sat up, wanting to hear whatever Seryn could tell her.

Did we get a formal invitation? Is it here? Can I touch it? Oh, and thank you for coming to my rescue. But more importantly, what festivities?

Seryn Lusce

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Saang Lusce
A smile graced Seryn's face, cheeks twitching at the effort of holding it.

"If you get yourself out of bed and look presentable...  perhaps I could show you the invitation. Saang sent it ahead with instructions that we are to behave ourselves."

Last edited:
I’m already sitting up,” Signe said quickly and pushed off her covers. Although being in her nightgown was nowhere near acceptable. If she could lie she would pretend that the reason why she was up was to take a bath. “I’ll get ready. I could meet you in the drawing room when I’m done.” One didn’t meet in the drawing room, but there was no other reason in using it other than to meet up. It wasn’t like they were going to entertain guests anytime soon.

She was already swinging her long legs over to the side, standing up and heading to her bathroom.

It’ll just be a few hours.” Really, quite a short amount of time for Signe to look her best. And all for the chance of looking at a invitation.

Soon enough, Signe was presentable. Skin scrubbed, hair washed and styled, her usual make up and favorite navy dress draping over her. She had lost weight, and while she had never carried much weight around her torso, she needed to place one of those trendy corset belts over her midsection to keep her dress properly in place.

Into the drawing room she went, three knocks to announce her presence before opening the door and she entered with a sheepish smile.

So, that invitation?” She wanted to smell the paper.

Seryn Lusce

The few hours that Signe requested went by at a leisurely pace, leaving Seryn to organise some small bites to be taken to the drawing room and tea.

Once her sister found her way downstairs, announcing herself before quickly turning her thoughts to the invitation, Seryn had put down the sheer fabric she had been working with, needle and thread delicately creating stars and glimmers and thorns. It was an odd request that came from Siobhan, but Seryn was happy to comply.

Amusement lit up those tourmaline eyes, dark like the leaves in the eventide light. "Sit. Have some sweets and tea." Conducting oneself quietly was still ingrained into the marrow of her bones, but it was joyous to see excitement in her sisters when it had been discouraged previously.

It was that caution of having known Signe best that had Seryn hide the invitation and letter behind the pillow beside her lest the younger Lusce pounced upon it.

"Best read Saang's letter first."

Signe Lusce

• Yay
Reactions: Signe Lusce
She descended on the seat beside her sister, lissome limbs folding at the wrists and ankles before going to pick up at the letter. She enjoyed letters from Saang, much like every sister did while he was away. There was always going to be something comforting in his writing, something with how certain letters looped and curved to create words that looked prettier written down than said aloud.

I don’t know why he needs to address all of us in behaving.” Signe said with a dismissive flick of her head, as if she were trying to move a strand of hair back in place without using her own hand. “We have always behaved.” Well, Seryn more than Signe, but Signe liked to think she never got caught and therefore was just as innocent.

Even if dancing was frowned upon and the Lusce siblings had help her hide her talents, to the outside world, she was innocent!

I don’t even think Siobhan and Sybil will want to attend.” Signe added, then paused. It had just occurred to her then. “Why aren’t you with the others?

Seryn Lusce

It was with a gentle twitch of her lips that gave away what she really thought of Signe's words, that she too agreed with her. but if was with a chastising click of her tongue that was all she could use before her sister asked her question.

This time, Seryn averted her gaze, looking down at the sheer fabric on her lap and began picking up where she had left off. She wound the golden thread around the needle before slowly sewing it against the cloth. "I offered to remain so that I could look on you if needed." There was no reason to lie, not when Signe would wear her down if the answer was not sufficient enough for her (even if it were the truth!). To watch her sister fall away into a gloom had Seryn fretting over her since it began. Rarely did she leave the manor, always staying behind to keep her sisters company.

To go to the Autumn Court would be her first time to venture outside the Night Court or Winter Court.

And that terrified her.

"I also have to finish this dress that Siobhan asked me to give new life. Best to finish this before I am inevitably asked to fix or embroider something for the event." Whatever their reasons of going out shopping, at least they had asked her what she would like if they were to come across it. She had an entire wardrobe of dresses made for a more confident version of herself, and oftentimes her sisters would pick a dress from there and ask her to made the adjustments to suit the individual sister's taste.

"Well, Signe? Shall we go see a seamstress or will you pick a dress from my closet?"

Signe Lusce

Her face fell. For a long time, Signe had been the youngest. Then Siobhan had came over eight centuries later. Still, Signe very much felt that Seryn continued to sacrifice things for her sake, even when Signe had never asked for such things. That was the point of sisterhood though, doing things for a sister even when they didn’t ask for help.

Fingers pressed up along her brow as she remembered the talons clawing at her skin and hair.

Seamstress.” Signe said quickly. She gave Seryn a sheepish smile. “I’m really too tall for your wardrobe now.” And she had been for the last millennia. And then because she had never been the best when it came to containing her impulses, she brought the parchment to her nose and sniffed. “The smell of home must have faded already.” She mumbled.

Seryn Lusce

"Oh..." Colour bloomed at her cheeks. Of course. There had been the day that her dresses and fine pieces began to fit too snugly on the bodies of her younger sisters. That they grew and grew, until they were at normal heights Duannan fae were known for. Seryn was below average, something she had always thought would be an obvious flaw in her bid to win suitors. It only fueled her efforts in taking care of her appearance, to make up her lack of height with beauty and hope to the divine beings that it would be enough.

Seryn had known that Signe had missed any reminder of home, and nothing she had owned held the scent of it anymore. By the time the letter had been snatched away for Seryn to read, the scent of their brother and their departed home had faded. So it was to Signe first that she would present the gift and additional letter, from their mother, before the other Lusce sisters returned from their outing.

"Mother sent a letter too, along with gardenias and night flowering jasmine. I already instructed the gardeners to plant them somewhere that would do well in the evening." Seryn delicately plucked the sealed envelope from the table and offered it to the younger Lusce. "Flowers from the gardens of our old home... to remind us of it. Is that not lovely, Signe?"

Signe Lusce

Face brightened up immediately at the word ‘Mother’ and only seemed to grow brighter than the sun reflecting on snow as Seryn continued. Saang’s letter was placed on a table. Gingerly she took the sealed envelope, overlooking it as if she could see what the letter said inside without having to open it first.

It’s wonderful news. I cannot wait for them to bloom.

She glanced up at her older sister and held up the letter, sniffing the familiar red wax seal and then pulling her nose away with a cough. The wax hadn’t smelled as she thought it would, and for some reason she had thought it would smell like perfume made from the flowers that Seryn spoke of.

We should open it when all of us are here. Maybe after dinner? It could be our dessert!

Seryn Lusce

• Yay
Seryn brightened at the idea. When each of the sisters were all well behaved and cordial to each other, it brought peace to the third eldest Lusce. "An excellent idea! Now, we best go see that seamstress before the day darkens. Perhaps we may catch up to our sisters." A small smile lifted her lips, but it reached her tourmaline eyes enough to make them shine.

Just shy of half an hour passing, the carriage they had comfortably sat in rolled past the gates of the estate, heading not too far towards the nearest town that housed a seamstress that Seryn had put her trust and approval upon.

"I forgot to mention to you that Mother had sent one of my dresses, too. Remember that green one? The deep green one? You made me try it on and did my hair to fall down my back and mother draped all sorts of gold jewellery on me." Recalling her reflection in the mirror, Seryn had thought the dress too revealing as the skirt parted at her thigh at the slit, and the bodice displayed more of her chest and collar bones more than she was comfortable of showing. Her mother had sent it with her own small note to Seryn, encouraging her to embrace a change. The dress had shown off every good thing Seryn had been born with, and her decision in following the suggestion was nerve wracking even now.

"Do you think it too much? Mother said I was the green before the leaves turn red. Yellow is a waste on us, she said, and that red would be too much with our hair already..." She blinked, eyes widening slightly as she sucked in shallow air. "I am babbling, am I not?"

Signe Lusce

Happy to be in the carriage, Signe crossed her wrists and ankles once more and settled in for the time it would take them to the town. She was going to bring up some sort of small talk but thankfully, Seryn had something she wished to talk about.

Signe looked up in thought. A deep green dress? They all had received deep green dresses at one point in time. She twirled a strand of crimson framing her face with one finger. She had placed Seryn’s hair down?

Oh, when I did those loose waves by brushing out heated curls.” Now the dress came to mind. Signe grinned. “We’re Winter women now. It is not too much. Perhaps at home it would have been, but I am sure we’ll attend the party to see plenty of fae naked.” Signe leaned in to Seryn with a hand covering one side of her mouth. “I’ve heard The Slaugh has orgies after the hunt.” A rumor, but there had to be some truth sprinkled in. She leaned back, pressing her fingers into her thighs.

I think you should wear green. Green suits you the best out of us all.” Signe said earnestly. “And gold accessories will still do the same in enhancing the color of the dress and yourself.” Signe looked smug. “I have a good eye for these things. I think you’ll be very fashion forward. And we can’t always let Saang outshine us.

Seryn Lusce

Seryn blinked, half listening to the good counsel of the younger Lusce about what would best go with the dress. Horror marked her face, cheeks growing pink then red at the thought Signe put into her mind.

"A... a what?" Seryn lifted a hand to her burning cheeks, as if her cold fingers would cool them but the indecency of the idea scandalised her.

Signe Lusce

I said I have a good eye for fashion.” Signe said with a smile. “I do forget the material of the dress. Was it silk or velvet? I think velvet would be lovely, it suits colder months. Oh, but Autumn isn’t quite cold, is it?” There was a pause as Signe considered this. “Silk would also be lovely to match how chilly the air can be at nightfall. Do you have shoes to match the dress?

Seryn Lusce

Scandalised, Seryn pushed past her thoughts and tried to hear what else Signe was prattling on about. Her eyes fixated on the younger, brows furrowed as she finally caught on to her words.

"Shoes? I... I have shoes that would suit my other dresses..." Her entire wardrobe were soft in colour and hue, shoes all to match such a palette. "Perhaps I best look for shoes to suit the darker green... I believe it was silk..." She had only seen it, not touched the dress before it was put away for her and Seryn had heard Signe's cries upstairs.

"And if it were to grow colder as the night goes on, is it not fortunate that us Lusces have fire at our beck and call?" Seryn smiled again, always that shy lift to her lips and sparkle in her eyes. "I warm my sheets each night before I slip into bed. I suggest you give it a try on the particularly colder nights, Signe."

Signe Lusce

I love shoe shopping.” Signe said with a squeal, clapping her hands and shimmying her shoulders in a brief dance. “We’ll get you heels. Maybe with a heel with one of those,” Signe’s hands moved in such a way as if she could draw what she imagined with just her fingertips. “Like, those carved heels with a design. With leaves.” Signe said finally, giving up on trying to find the exact terminology.

Silk is such a nice fabric.” She added absently before glancing at Seryn and then looking at her own hands. It had occurred to her that on cold nights she could do such a thing. She had done so before plenty of times.

Sometimes I like the cold.” Signe said wistfully, voice soft as her eyes lowered. “When a particularly cold wind bites at your face or how touching ice makes your fingertips feel like they’re on fire— it’s like home. Goosebumps are like kisses from the Tundra itself.” She was smiling, gliding her fingers on the back of her hand before looking up at Seryn as if she had been speaking of shoes and not the melancholy that came from being displaced.

But it’s so very useful in drying our hair or else we’d look like those poodles mortals are so fond of!

Seryn Lusce

• Cthuulove
Seryn looked out the small window of the carriage, spying the town not too far now. "How awful we would look if we did not have our talents. I would refuse to leave my room!" The truth was far darker than that, but she chose not to say it aloud for fear of sounding unpleasant.

"Now, what you had said about the... you do not think that Saang would invite us to a party that would be uncomely company for his sisters, hm?" They would all be dignified, right? On their best behaviours like the sisters were asked to be in Saang's letter.

Signe Lusce

Oh, you mean the orgy rumor.” Signe laughed, more so from Seryn’s expression than the topic at hand. “I have no idea.” She admitted with a shrug, but the hint of playful mischievousness still glimmered in her green eyes.

If it isn’t then it isn’t. But if it is…” she trailed off. “What is there to be scared of? Autumn, and Winter, aren’t like our home. I don’t think they believe in forcing women to do things. We could just watch.” The small smile was almost cruel as Signe leaned forward and waited for Seryn’s reaction to her suggestion.

Seryn Lusce

• Cthuulove
Colour filled her cheeks as she turned to look out the window again. "Oh, look. We are here!"

Seryn had opened the door the moment the carriage came to a pause, swiftly gathering her skirts and helping herself out from the small room beside Signe and that dangerous smile.

Signe Lusce

Signe giggled into a hand. She was fae, and even if she were high fae, it was in her nature to be a rascal every now and then. It should only be expected that she felt comfortable enough to be silly around her favorite and closest sister. Signe followed her out of the carriage, trying not to look too sly and as if she had won.

Lace And Buttons seemed to be an unusual name for a seamstress, but if Seryn trusted her then Signe would as well. Even if she didn’t have the sense to know that Lace And Buttons wasn’t a suitable name for a seamstress that should be dealing more with satin and silk. Satin And Silk! Perhaps Signe should be hired to name businesses. Then she could claim to be a “productive citizen” for Winter Court.

Once instead the tailor shop however, any doubts that Signe had dissipated upon seeing the various bolts of linen, silk, satin, chiffon, taffeta, organza and velvet on display. There were a myriad of colors and patterns, with dozens of mannequins already sporting various skirts and bodices.

Tables and shelves displayed various accessories with a series of ribbons beyond Signe’s imagination and pearls or other jewels to be inlaid in fabric.

I had forgotten.” Signe said breathlessly, “that the Nightcourt fashion scene sucked.” Clearly this shop that looked so simple from the outside had to be the norm in Underhill. Signe didn’t even know where to begin.

Seryn Lusce

• Spoon Cry
Seryn's eyes widened, her nostrils flaring slightly hearing her sister utter such words against the Night Court. One look around of the interiors of the shop put her at ease, at least slightly, when it became clear their new home held more freedom for women.

They were able to travel into town without their brother as escort.

"Misses Lusce! Welcome! You had just missed your sisters by quarter of an hour. Are we both looking a dress for the upcoming night in Autumn Court?"

Seryn stepped up to the attendant, gesturing to Signe with a smile. "Just for my sister. I already have a gown..." She turned her gaze to the work table, trying to glean what materials and colours her sisters had chosen prior.

Signe Lusce

Lady.” Signe whispered to herself. They were still High Ladies, weren’t they? Or was that no longer part of them since being smuggled out from Night Court? She wouldn’t say anything more on the matter. Maybe she could ask her brother when she saw him at the festival. She’d want the clarification— no, needed it. How was she supposed to proceed with her new life otherwise?

Yes, just for me.” Signe chimed, gliding through the glitz and glamor that was arranged all around them. The seamstress smiled up at her, a pretty sidhe with blue and lilac features. She matched what Winter Court must have seemed like to mortals with her shimmering white hair and transparent blue wings.

“Green would suit you well.” The seamstress said and Signe immediately shook her head.

I don’t care for that color.” It wasn’t a lie. Centuries ago she had practically gotten rid of it. “My sister is already wearing it. What are my other sisters wearing?” The seamstress tilted her head.

“The colors of Autumn. Green, orange, yellow, red, like the leaves, darker in hue and with richer fabrics. There have been cream and gold added in with the designs. One chose a pattern…” the seamstress continued on but Signe had already begun tuning her out. Her viridian gaze glossed over at the colors mentioned. She didn’t want to stand out or be noticed, something she hadn’t felt since she was a very young fae, before she had decided to copy her siblings.

“And you see, if the lace is white then we could layer this terra cotta orange which would—“ Signe held up a hand to quiet her as politely as she could.

Sorry, but I’ve decided. I think.” The seamstress nodded her head. “What do you have in brown?” The seamstress brows furrowed together slightly and Signe smiled. “If the Lusce sisters are going to look leaves then I want to look like a leaf about to hit the ground.” A rather melodramatic statement but no one ever cared for the brown leaves on the ground that they stepped on, crunching them into dust as they looked up at the canopy of Autumn colors above them. She glanced at Seryn for approval.

Brown suits me, don’t you think?

Seryn Lusce

• Aww