Private Tales Foosty Gobshytes

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Riley was surprised by his reaction. She'd expected him to laugh it off with her. Look at her like she didn't want to be looked at - like something broken. But that hand of his was back on her face.

Did he know what his touch did to her?

How much it melted away her prickly layers, her toughened front? A barrier that she'd built up that he could crack as easily as an egg shell.

Breath hitched in her throat, her nose catching the scent of pine and campfire smoke on his breath. Near his skin. Nose brushed against his.

"Kai," she breathed against him but didn't draw away. Didn't push him away. She felt an ache spread across her chest. Since she'd been taken to the Academy she'd always been taught to hide weaknesses or sever them. And here was a man who she could see as becoming one of her biggest. It was hard not to instinctively run away from him.

"I don't deserve this."

She didn't deserve him.

One of her palms rose and she pressed it against the side of his face, thumb stroking along his cheek.

• Love
Reactions: Kaius
His fingers tightened gently in her soft, dark hair at the very sound of her voice saying his name like that. He had been about to pull away from her, assuming her tone to have been that of rejection. Of disapproval of his closeness. He mentally kicked himself for allowing himself to be so careless, and then she spoke again..

She didn't deserve this? Kai's eyes opened in confusion, the touch of her hand on his cheek causing his words to catch in his throat for a moment. His hand moved to capture hers, pressing it to his face before he laughed under his breath incredulously at her.. "That's what you think?.. You don't deserve to be cared about?.."

The waves of guilt were crushing his chest, he could feel his heart hammering against them in retaliation. "Riley.." he breathed out her name and shook his head slowly, his eyes wandering over her face with a deep sadness, both for her and for himself.

"You deserve everything." he frowned at her, his tone one that made clear that his remark wasn't up for debate. "You deserve to be happy, and get as far away from your old life as you possibly can. Humans..." he clenched his jaw, and slowly unfurled his fingers from around her hand to let her go.. "They don't have long enough on this earth to be used as weapons, to be tortured and beaten... To be as unhappy and hell-bent on revenge as you are." he dropped his gaze.

"I don't deserve you. I shouldn't have let myself..." he paused with a huff and rubbed at his face as he sat back from her. What the fuck was he thinking?

"Sorry, lass.." he sighed, unable to help but sound as wounded as he felt.

• Cry
Reactions: Riley
Warmth spread through her veins as he entrapped her hand along his cheek.

It didn't last long though.

She frowned as he pulled away. The lightening night air growing suddenly cooler. Riley didn't take hints for things not being up for debate very well. Probably why she'd gotten into so much trouble with the proctors so much - arguing and blatant disobedience.

"Kaius, if you knew the things I'd done you wouldn't...," voice trailed off. She didn't want to finish it. "So don't talk about you NOT deserving me." With a huff, she stood and began hastily rolling up her bedroll.

"And you think I'm unhappy? Around you? Gods Kaius," head shook and she stood fully. Did he see her as not worth the risk because her life would be a fraction of his?

Perhaps it was for the best.

"I'll get the horses ready. We have a long ride to the rendezvous point."

• Cry
Kaius stared at her, a frown of confusion and incredulity contorting his face as she stood and started packing away her things. He tried three times to interrupt her before he stood too..

"Riley. Stop." he reached for her wrist, a gentle hold but a firm tone that demanded her attention and that she stop rambling frantically. "I don't care what you've done. I care about what's in your heart and you wouldn't be here with me if it were anything but light and strength. You think elves can't see into hearts? I hear every-fucking-beat of it." he frowned at her, clearly angered by the way she thought of herself.

"You chose NOT to be what they wanted you to be. You CHOSE to leave your own people because you had the strength to stand up for yourself. Even to stand up for us. My kind despise humans, your kind despise elves.. But you. You think for yourself, that..passion that drives you, it.." his head shook and he huffed, letting go of her arm to turn away from her and rub at his face.

He sighed and cast his face toward the heavens with a deep sigh, his tone much calmer, quieter and far more sombre.. "I don't wish to cause complications and it seems I've already done so. I think it best that we forget this mess and move on from it.." he frowned and dropped his gaze to the ground, his fingers kneading at the tension in the back of his neck.

• Love
Only Kaius could grasp at her arm without getting clocked in the nose. Her one arm tightened around her bedroll. It took her a long time to choose. To be able to break free. And perhaps that's where she felt the most guilt.

She didn't know if she wanted to scream or run away as Kaius turned around. His back to her. And she had questions. Questions on top of bubbling frustration in her veins.

"No," she said quietly at his back. Bedroll dropped to the ground as she moved to plant herself in front of him. "No Kaius. You don't just get to turn around. Look at me."

"Look at me."

Vulnerability was painted across her face like a wobbly brushstroke.

"Is that what I am to you? A complication? Because if so, just say the word. I'll drop this. Never bring it up again."

• Wonder
A deep breath filled his lungs and escaped them by means of a frustrated huff as Riley demanded his gaze. He didn't want to look at her, not right now, looking at her had been half the reason they were having this argument. Her words however. Those caused a knot in his chest and the ache spread to his throat as he looked at her and saw the look she wore..

"No, Riley.. Don't." his jaw clenched and he had to force himself not to look away from her again. He couldn't quite describe the what he felt as he looked at her now. That urge to drag her into his arms and keep her there was overwhelming, but it would only complicate things further.

He'd tried to deny his attraction to her, tried to ignore it, put it down to simple aesthetic pleasure, but it was so much more than that. She was so much more than that. And it was impossible to ignore. He knew if he dared allowed himself to get close to her he'd be hooked, and eventually she'd be another heartbreak. He'd suffered one and only one, but he'd never been the same and he was certain that another would stop his heart forever.

Then why couldn't he say the words? He was terrified of her never bringing this up again. He wanted to be closer..

You fucking coward, Kaius. He thought with a frown as he allowed her to stand there, looking at him like that. She was far braver than he was. Far better.

He moved toward her finally, both hands reaching to take gentle hold of her face as his thumbs brushed over her cheeks.. "A beautiful, fierce, mouthy little complication.." he laughed under his breath.. "And I'm a fucking coward who wallows in his own misery." he frowned at her.

• Love
Mouthy? Little?!

Beautiful.

Riley's breath caught in her throat. Tongue darted along her dry lips to wet them as she looked at him. Really looked at him. The freckles along his face. The color along his cheeks. That crease in his brow when he really was troubled. The way his lips turned downward.

Her expression matched his own as her fingertips came up to lightly touch the outside of his wrist.

"First of all, I want to hear more about this hearing heart thing. Because that's not fair." The corner of her lip finally twitched upward. "And secondly, take your fukin time to get out of your wallow, damnit."

• Love
He could've drowned in those eyes of hers. After everything they'd seen they retained their beauty and hope of a better life. She had a beauty that made other women paper thin in comparison, she was something robust and real, right down to the crass language she used that most other women would squirm at.

There was a shyness to her, hesitation in her body movements and a softness in her voice when she spoke to him, and that vulnerable little half smirk would haunt him forever. His cheeks dimpled as he grinned down at her, his hands sliding from her cheeks to let his fingers comb her hair back from her face and trace the round edge of her ears.

"Our ears don't only look different, lass.. Every time you get angry about something, afraid of something, excited about something...I hear it." he frowned apologetically..

"I always wallow.." he sighed, and his eyes creased as he smiled at her again with a quiet, husky laugh under his breath. "I'll.. work on it." he promised, his eyes wandering over her face for a little longer before pressing his forehead to hers for a moment, and letting his hands fall to her shoulders and down her arms before letting her go.

• Wonder
Well then he'd goddamned hear her heart beat a little faster as his hands brushed her skin, her hair. Along her shoulders. Chest ached as he let her go.

But she'd pressed him hard enough. It was time to go and get their stuff. She still wasn't clear where they stood. What he wanted. And she didn't like feeling and knowing what she wanted.

Rat bastards, she was getting soft.

"Okay," she breathed. Wishing she could control her heartbeat. Wishing it wouldn't betray her so much around him. "I'm glad elves can still work on things," her wobbly smile widened. She was torn between being frozen in that spot, demanding that he kiss her, or running away.

Perhaps not now for the two former.

She huffed and turned slowly. Not quite running. "C'mon. Let's see if we can go free more of Arwyl's people." She'd cross that field and start securing the bedrolls and gear back on their horses.

• Love
He looked down at her with a knowing smile, a slight awkwardness in his husky laugh that he gave under the breath now that she knew he could hear her pulse. It betrayed her much more than she realised.

The smile that she gave him, so genuinely sweet with the right touch of shyness that caused a warm shiver to dance it's way across his back. But it didn't quite reach her hazel eyes. Perhaps on the surface it did, but they were lit with a heaviness that seemed to tendril into his chest and tighten it. He didn't want her to turn away from him. He wanted her to stay right there and he wanted wrap her in his arms and breathe her in and hope that her eyes found the same smile that her lips held.

And yet, she stepped back, and he let her, and the smile in his own eyes dimmed too.

"Our people.." he corrected her. She was one of them now whether she liked it or not.

He helped her pack up, trying his best not to be awkward, but any time he met her gaze he looked away and cleared his throat. When they were set to go he steadied her horse and waited for her to mount up before he climbed into his own saddle and kicked his heels gently at his stallion's sides with a click of his tongue.

• Love
She kept trying to push Kaius from her mind. But the harder she tried the less successful she was. She found herself wondering when he would brush her hair back again. The slide of his fingers on her skin.

Jaw clenched.

For shite's sake, she'd even let him help her mount a goddamned horse. Only Kaius. She wondered if he even knew the significance of that.

Fingers tightened slightly on the reigns of her horse as the horses trotted back over the river and onto a small game trail through the winding trees of the forest. They'd be along the road soon, if this trail went the way she thought it would.

"Our people," she repeated in a sigh. "I wish there was a way for a treaty," she murmured. But she knew no one in Vel Anir would listen. Certainly not the current power. "Have you ever thought about setting up a home somewhere else? Away from the reach of the hell hole and their devil hounds?"

Kaius side glanced at her as she mentioned a treaty, forcing a small smile across his lips and deciding against dashing those hopes with his doubts. Anirians and elves simply had no interest in coexisting with one another. The hatred was centuries old, it ran deep and a hatred like that was difficult to resolve. Of course, even if he wasn’t biased it was clear that the elves were the oppressed. Vel Anir was still standing, and so many other cities were not.

“Every day..” he answered with a sigh. “I want to travel..” he smiled weakly and rubbed at the back of his neck. There were many places Kaius had not seen but dreamt of, many things he hadn’t done and probably never would.

“But I can’t drag Arwyl away from it. This is what he chooses to spend his life on, regardless of how futile it is. And I have no choice but to follow him, and try to keep him safe, whether I can coax him onto the right path or not. I made a promise.”

“You didn’t get very far either..” he commented quietly, trying to change the subject.

• Love
She frowned hearing the longing in Kaius' voice. And in that moment, she wished she could give him what he really wanted. Lips pressed thin and she shifted on the saddle. Head turned back, eyes hazels tracking to his face at his comment.

"No," she faced ahead of them again.

"There was a dreadlord who helped me out of the Academy. She told me I should run far away and disappear. And I almost did." A shrug across her rigid shoulders.

"I started to and just couldn't. Figured it was too much like giving up. I can't run away from trying to fix things. Just like that dreadlord. Change won't happen if no one starts it - even if it's small." The only promises she knew were promises of punishment from the Proctors if she disobeyed orders. If she mouthed off. Perhaps she'd promised herself that she'd try to make her country a better place. And that's why she couldn't run away.

She was bound to herself just as Kaius was bound to Arwyl.

Through the trees, the road was coming into view.

"Road's coming up. Should we stick to the woods?"

• Love
Kai's brow arched. He'd taken Dreadlords to be a proud force to be reckoned with, pillars that held up the houses and army of Vel Anir. They were, but he hadn't realised how oppressed they truly were within their own city, or that some of them were able to think for themselves enough to make some sort of a stand.

"I don't understand. If Dreadlords are so powerful, as I know you are, why don't more of them rise up? They seem more like beaten dogs to me. They could take the city from the houses, from the king himself if they so wanted to. Why don't they?.." he frowned. "If the academy is so bad why don't more of you just rebel?.."

It was easy for him to ask those questions, but it'd be like asking him why he did the things he did when he was young and obeyed his father. He could've ran, could've said no, could've fought back but he didn't believe that he could do any of those things when faced with the man he'd feared. He sighed and shook his head before giving her time to answer.. "It's none of my business. I know it's not that simple."

He gave a brief nod as he looked ahead toward the road, and pulled gently on his reins to turn them parallel to the road whilst keeping a safe enough distance.. He glanced at her and his lips twitched before he returned his eyes to the forest ahead..

"Glad you saw sense..." he smirked.

Before long he held up a hand as the other halted his horse, and he was silent as he listened. He could hear the rolling of a wagon, four sets of hooves and the sound of men laughing..

"They're about a mile off.." he rumbled, and kicked his steed back into a trot.. "Best pick up the pace before they get too close to the city.."

• Love
"So much sense I joined a band of elven rebels who traipse merrily through the woods," a wide-grin spread across her mouth before quickly disappearing as he held his hand up. And even though he hadn't given her a chance to answer his first question, thoughts swirled in her mind.

Of course it was, complicated.

She wanted to gently tell him that he should be glad the dreadlords didn't band together and rebel. Most of them were more monstrous than the kind or any of the houses could be. Especially those of Virak.

A shiver ran through her spine.

Eyes narrowed as he pointed ahead and she eased her heels into the sides of her horse, catching up to his side. "Magic ears," she murmured, that lopsided grin back on her face. She didn't usually smile this much. There was something about just being around Kaius.

They rode in relative silence until she, too, could hear the transport. Hazels tracked through the trees and brush that stood between them and the road, providing cover. Between the branches, she saw a wagon being pulled by one horse with three guards stationed around the sides and one in the back. If she looked hard enough with the light hitting the back of the wagon, she could see some chained figures just inside the bar-slits on the wagon's back door. But their heads were covered with sacks.

"What if I ride ahead and attack them from the front while you get the back?"

• Bless
Kaius grinned at the point she made but he didn’t answer. He knew it wasn’t a particularly wise choice, but at least the woman was standing up for something she believed in, rather than putting up with it or running from it.. Kaius had, in his opinion, served his time in countless battles and wars, he’d led armies, and collected his share of injuries and wounds. They’d been on the run now for twenty years, and ‘merrily traipsing’ is not how he would have described it. Now, all he wanted was Arwyl to build a new home, to take up his rightful place and rule more than a band of rebels. All he wanted was a peaceful life.

Magic ears?.. He shot her a look of incredulity, but there was amusement in his eyes as she grinned at him and he laughed under his breath “Right…Magic ears…”

He pulled back on his reins as the wagon came into view and he rolled his shoulders as he drew his bow. “Sounds like a plan..” he half smirked. “Four shouldn’t give us too much trouble.” He muttered dryly and sighed to himself. “Alright.. Let’s get this done.” He nodded, and urged his horse forward with another gentle kick, drawing up his hood as he headed out onto the road to follow behind the wagon. They rode on a few minutes longer before one of the guards turned and took notice of him.

“Hey you! State your business on this road!..” the man turned his horse about and another followed suit. Kaius kept his head bowed, his bow pressed against his stallion’s side out of sight. “Stop there!” the second guard demanded as Kaius failed to look up or answer. They drew their swords, and started toward him as the wagon halted in the road. “Last warning!”.. Kaius’s eyes remained downcast and he was slumped forward, giving him the look of an elderly man.

They stopped in front of his horse, and he pulled back on the reins, slowly lifting his face.. “Sorry, were you talking to me?..” he asked, the elven lilt of his accent drawing the men’s blades into the air, but they were both too slow to react to the speed of him nocking and firing two arrows. Both men fell from their horses with a clatter of armor.

“KNIFE EARS!!!” he heard another man call, and he kicked his horse into a gallop toward the wagon.

• Love
"You be careful," she'd give one last warning beneath her breath to the man. After all, he may call her the reckless one but it was him who'd taken two arrows since they'd met. As the men were distracted with the attack from behind, Riley finally broke free from the woods.

She had her throwing knives and her small ax and that was it.

"Halt! I sa-!" The driver gurgled as a knife pierced his throat. He clawed at it a few seconds and fell off the wagon and to the sides. The two horses tethered whinnied nervously. The other two guards were going after Kaius, foolishly leaving the prison transport unguarded.

Riley eased off her black horse, boots hitting the dirty road with a slight crunch. Ax in one hand, she scurried around the side of the wagon to the back. A quick glance over her shoulder to make sure Kaius was okay. Two men were already down and she doubted those other two humans would last long against the elf.

She peered into the gloom of the carriage.

"Hang on. Get you outta there in a sec." Gripping the ax in both hands, she took aim at the lock and swung.

Cling.

CLING.

SNAP.

The broken lock fell away and she pulled the rest out, swinging the door wide-open. Ax shifted to one hand as she took a step into the box of shadows. The bright sun she'd just stepped out of making the adjustment to the gloom a little delayed.

"C'mon. I'm here to...," there was a sound of chains falling to the floor, which confused Riley and the elf closest to her suddenly sent a fist into her face. Blood squirted from her nose and she stumbled back, falling from the carriage box and onto the dirty road with an oomph.

"The fukin hell," Riley groaned and muttered, squinting her eyes open as several sets of boots landed around her. Their hoods were off and there weren't pointy-ears beneath 'em. Anirian soldiers in disguise.

"A goddamned trap!" She yelled to Kaius and kicked and rolled, missing a sword before it could come down on top of her head.

"Stupid rebels," the one who'd knocked her in the face leered, a wicked grin on his face.

• Scared
Kaius felt his heart stop as his eyes fell on Riley and the Anirians that surrounded her, on the blade that swung at her. He threw his hand out to shield her, but he heard the sword hit the ground and his panic swelled. It hadn't worked. "Riley!"

Kaius pulled down his hood as he raced toward them, his ears alone had a way of riling humans and he wanted that attention. "She's human!"

One of the men lifted a foot to press down on Riley's chest. "Stay down you little bitch" he grunted down at her as another tried to remove her weapons. Kaius aimed another arrow as he slipped from the saddle, the horse still in full sprint though it veered off the road and through the trees. He took his shot but the arrow was deflected upward.

Fuck.

A woman almost as tall as he stepped out of the wagon, her glare fixed on Kaius as she held a hand up toward him.. "Stop, Kaius." He did stop, his feet skidding in the dirt and casting up a plume of dust as he regarded her through a narrowed gaze. She smiled at the look on his face, a look of recognition, of rage.

"You just won't fucking die will you?.." Kaius spat on the ground.

The woman pouted and tutted at him as she shook her head "No way to greet an old friend now, is it. Tell me, where is your Prince? I had hoped he'd be joining the party.." she asked as she stepped down onto the road, her neck craning as she peered off into the trees, searching for more.. "No matter.. You'll do just as well, he'll be along looking for you before long." she smirked and looked to Riley with a look of disgust. "And the traitor too? Isn't that a little bonus!.." it was her turn to spit on the ground. "Get her up and bind her." the dreadlord demanded and held up a hand again as Kaius took a step forward. "A da da da..Now you're going to play nice or the men will take it out on your little friend there.."

Kaius growled as he dropped his bow and drew his blade and dropped that too. "Fuck sake Serra, let the girl go, I'll tell you where he is, where they all are, whatever information you want from me you'll get it." he frowned and dropped his gaze as two men approached him with rope. Riley had accompanied him to free elves, he'd led them into a trap and she faced execution as much as he did.

"Only if she goes free. She won't cause any trouble." he glanced to Riley.

• Scared
She growled as two of the soldiers got their hands on her and pulled her from the ground. She flicked her fingers, trying to send a telekinetic blast their way. But...nothing.

Damnit.

There was a look of fear and boiling rage at the site of the...dreadlord. Kaius knew her?

She sniffed, trying to breath through the blood still dripping from her cracked nose. Arms were tugged behind her back and she felt rope tighten around her wrists. What the fuk was Kaius doing?! He had a clear shot to the woods if he moved his ass right now. Before they closed off his path.

Little?! Won't cause any trouble?!

She spit a wad of blood on the ground and stomped her foot on top of the guard holding her steady. He yelped. Hand managed to squirm a dagger from his belt as she plunged it into another's gut. Then she lunged forward into the small of Serra's tall back.

"I'll show you little you buttplug-face-ignorant-fuk-muppet!" A surprised grunt escaped the woman as she jostled forward but didn't quite hit the ground.

"Kaius RUN!"

Goddamned stubborn elf!!

Riley felt a thud against the side of her head and she saw stars, hitting the ground. She felt herself being dragged back to her feet, this time double the men on her, keeping her arms behind her back. Pulling that dagger from her fingers. Black spots and stars were spreading across her vision real fast.

The dreadlord was enjoying this. She chuckled at Kaius’ request and shook her head “Awh, Kai..” she mused and pouted at him with a huff. His jaw clenched. “You like this one, a human? Tsk.. Shame we’ll have to cut this disgusting little love story short. She’s one of ours and she has crimes to answer for, and you’re going to tell us those things anyway dear. You know how it works..” she shrugged and examined her nails casually until Riley barrelled into her.

Alright, perhaps she would cause trouble… Run? Did she really expect him to leave her here?

Kaius tensed as he watched her go down and he sprinted forward, his weapons still discarded on the road. “No!” he growled out, fearing they’d cut her throat then and there and be done with the hassle. He’d have to cause a bit more trouble then. He ducked the swing of a blade and brought the first soldier’s face down into his knee as he brought it up and the man crumpled as his face exploded. The second took a right hook and a broken jaw before another came rushing at him with two blades drawn, both of which slashed at Kaius’ chest before he could stop and he hissed through his teeth. The man was fast, and

Kaius only just managed to avoid a stab to the gut which ended instead as another deep slash to his side. Kaius glared at the man and launched himself at him, taking the man off of his feet and slamming him hard into the road and pinning him. He twisted the man’s wrists until he dropped the blades and started punching, not intent on stopping until his head was pulp.

“Get up you useless bastards!” Serra sneered at the men groaning in the dirt as she strode toward Riley and gripped her by the hair, a dagger pressed to her throat. “Kaius!!!” she glared at him in threat. He stopped and looked up, his face spattered with blood and his knuckles bloody. The man underneath him sputtered and groaned. “You know I don’t bluff. Don’t be silly.” She narrowed her gaze and gave a nod to two of the men who approached the bloodied elf and dragged him off of their comrade to rain a few fists and feet down on him in retaliation until Serra insisted that he’d had enough. She let Riley go and stepped back.

“Get them both bound and in the wagon, we’re already behind schedule.” She huffed irritably, and pulled herself up onto a horse.

Kaius was drowsy by the time they were through with him, and his eyes blinked heavily at Riley before he too was hit hard on the side of the head and darkness took over.

• Cry
Riley was conscious long enough to see Kaius going the wrong way. Toward her instead of into the woods. Then blackness overtook her vision.

Sometime later, she woke tied back-to-back with someone that felt familiar. The scent of pine and smoke still lingered in the air. Her wrists were still bound in rope behind her back. Slowly, her chin lifted, eyes cracking open. Head swiveled and she winced as pain lanced through the side of her skull.

These foosty gobshytes were going to pay.

One side was a stone cell wall with a small, barred window with shafts of sunlight streaming in. The other side was a large, barred door. Fingers flexed, brushing against someone else's.

"Kaius?" She whispered. Then nudged her back against him if he needed jostling awake. "Kaius," Riley repeated. "Wake up so I can yell at you."

And make sure you're okay.

They were alone for now and she didn't know how long that would last. She wondered where they were. Definitely not at the capital. They were too far for her to be unconscious that long - at least, she hoped. But no, she imagined they stopped at one of the smaller towns along the way. Perhaps the dreadlord had to take care of other business before transporting them further. Or perhaps she and Kaius would be separated.

• Bless
Kaius was as slumped forward as he could be whilst tied to Riley. His brow furrowed as he was nudged, his fingers twitching against hers.. “Mh..” he grumbled with a huff and tried to force his eyes open with a wince at the pounding headache and every other pain he felt come rushing back to the forefront of his mind..

He let his head fall back against her shoulder and pulled in a painful breath.. “Y’alright Sparky?..” he rumbled, his voice strained and gritty. His eyes were already starting to drift closed again as he struggled to stay awake. Drying blood stained the side of his face, he felt the ache of every bruise and the sting of every slash, his saturated shirt stained crimson.

If she hadn’t been there to nudge and scold him he’d have given up fight and passed out, but he forced himself to open his eyes and he squinted around at the cell they’d been detained in. Whether subconsciously or not, his knuckle brushed against hers attentively as he relived the rage he’d felt on the road when he’d seen her fall, the fear he’d felt when he’d saw that blade against her throat.

“If I’d told you to run…” his words tumbled out with a sigh. “Would you have done it?..” he asked, knowing fine well that she was far too stubborn for that. If she yelled at him she’d only be a hypocrite, and he wouldn’t hear any argument on the matter. He lifted his head and started tugging at the bindings on her wrists. Whomever had decided to tie them back to back was clearly a ‘foosty gobshyte’.

“She’s a void...Serra.. But she has to be near..” he muttered and chewed on his lip in concentration until her bindings started loosening..

• Love
Relief flooded her as Kaius spoke and stirred. She tried to turn her head to catch a glimpse of his profile as he rested his head on her shoulder. The frown on her lips grew. She knew she looked similar. She could feel the blacks and blues spreading along the side of her head and face from where they'd hit her with a sword pummel. She sniffed at the dried blood from her cracked nose.

But this was nothing.

She'd had far worse.

Didn't mean it didn't hurt like hell, though.

She huffed against him. "Sel Ferra," she muttered in Anirian slang. "I would if I thought I could somehow rescue your arse later." It was clear she was getting the last word on this. She tried angle her wrists so he could work at the ropes a bit easier. She wanted to reach out and squeeze his fingers. To hold him. But her thoughts quickly turned to what they should be concentrating on. Escape.

"She's had run-ins with the group - before me? Definitely never heard of her from the Academy. Must be a lower-level." It reminded her that she didn't know exactly how long Arwyl, Kaius, and the rebels had been fighting against Aniria.

If he got through her ropes, she'd then start to work on his own.

And every time she reached for her magic, it felt like a heavy blanket was over her senses. Kaius was right. The dreadlord wasn't far. She'd rather her and Kaius be out of the ropes before she returned. She just wasn't sure if they'd get that far.

"You wouldn't have told her where Arwyl and the others were. Would you have?" Voice was a whisper.

• Bless
He dismissed her reasoning with a drowsy grumble.. "Not a risk I was willing to take.." he let out a deep sigh and turned his head a little, his nose grazing against her ear, whether purposefully or not. As she worked on his bindings, he took the opportunity to close his eyes again with the slightest of nuzzles as though her were settling into a pillow for a night's sleep.

"Aye, she has.. Took a bit of a liking to me. Well, hurting me at least.." he snorted.

Riley's question caused his brow to furrow and his eyes to open, his jaw clenching slightly. "I value his life far more than my own.. The men are brothers to me. There's no amount of suffering I could endure that would make me talk." Kaius frowned deeply and he looked up at the ceiling. "Suffering I'm sure I'll have no choice but to endure if we don't make it out of here.." he sighed and felt the rope on his wrists fall loose.

He shifted against her and brought his hands around to start picking at the knots that held the two of them together..

"Damned idiots.." he muttered and shook his head. Then again, they still had to get out of the cell..

Last edited:
  • Bless
It was hard for her not to get distracted by him being so close. That brush of his nose against her ear. His warm breath tickling along the side of her face and down her neck. For a moment, her fingers fumbled with his bindings. She could feel the rumbling of his voice along her back when he spoke.

But when he spoke of that woman hurting him.

That got her blood boiling.

"I'm going to fuking break her face in," Riley muttered, hazels sparking with anger. It may take a lot to gain Riley's trust. But once she gave it? She was fiercely loyal. And the thought of anyone hurting Kaius...

She turned and picked off the remaining ropes that bound them as he got the last of the knots. She tried reaching for her magic but it still failed her. Pushing herself to one knee, she faced Kaius, frowning at the dark blues, purples, and blacks along his face. She knew she had her own. But still. There was a deep hurt in her chest and a boiling, simmering anger.

Fingertips reached out and gently cradled his cheek.

"Oh Kai," she whispered, thumb brushing away some of the dried blood near his ear.

• Love