Fate - First Reply Finding Danger Before it Finds You

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
Rafael’s laughter finally died as he took in a long breath, the amusement cut off as he was reminded of the massive wound in his side. He let out a quiet yelp, wincing even as Asta was reprimanding him about the nature of Kress.

Slowly, he managed to pull himself together.

The Mercenary ripped free his silver dagger from the Wolf’s neck, diseased blood wiped up on what little fur the creature had. His boots let out a muted thud as he clattered onto the cobbled floor, following Asta’s direction. ”Of course it’s funny!”

Rafael mused as he bent down and patted Tulio on the head, sliding his rapier back into it’s scabbard.

The blade wasn’t even bent!

”We survived a monster!” Rafael insisted, though his tone of voice didn’t quite match the concern on his face. Hand gently reaching out to graze across the gash which ran across his lips. His already frowning lips turned into a scowl as he saw the blood. ”That’s something to be happy about, eh?’

He drew his bloody hand down, keeping it far away from his face. ”Though, I have a distinct feeling that another one might be nearby.”

Rafael said, offering her a wink as he leaned down and began to parse through Tulio’s saddlebags.

• Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Asta
Asta grunted at Rafael’s words, squatting down low to push the hulking form over from his stomach to it’s back. It’s limps followed after the force of Asta’s pushing, a strangely elastic sway to them that was unnatural. The malformed paws were raised up in the air, the stench of feces and piss and blood spread further about in the air.

With a hand on the handle of her battle axe, she slammed a foot down onto the sickened’s chest, a crunch of muscle and bone echoing about.

You think so?” She said, an eerie calm in her voice. Slowly Asta turned to face Rafael, eyeing him and Tulio with her bright gold eyes that were far too feral for her face. With her free hand, she wiped her broken nose against her wrist, already feeling her wounds starting to heal. He was challenging her, wasn’t he?

“Let me warn you, Rafael, that this other monster that’s nearby is one hell of a fighter.” She took a step towards the man, eyes narrowing as she grinned, wolfish and hungry. Steam could be seen coming from her nose and from the wound in her thigh from where the Sickened had clawed at her. “And she could go for a round two, a round three, fuck it, even a round four and five without breaking a sweat.” Asta used her axe to point at him, even if his back was turned towards her.

And you’re over here, beaten and bloody, cracking jokes like the big bad wolf isn’t gonna blow you away.”

Rafael

• Nervous
Reactions: Rafael
Rafael dug through the small saddlebag, moving silver quills to the side before eventually retrieving what appeared to be a small vial. At the bottom sloshed a strange reddish liquid, almost appearing the consistency of mercury.

The mercenary plucked it free as Asta began to speak.

His mouth opened to interrupt her, to offer a jest or quip, but as he moved to speak his eyes settled upon her. Lips almost immediately turned to a frown, and his gaze slid down her form and to the curve of the axe within her grasp.

A low chuckle escaped his throat.

A nervous kind of chuckle. "Look...I think you have the wrong impression of why I'm here."

His hands raised, the left still holding the odd vial, but a clear sign that he would not be going for any of his weapons. "I have, absolutely no interest in fighting or kill you."

Rafael said honestly, gesturing to the Afflicted.

"I didn't even want to kill him!" He tried to put on his most winning smile. "I just need some of your blood."

It was in that moment, as Rafael shifted his stance, that Asta would see the wound on his side was also healing much faster than it should have.

• Orc
Somewhere deep, deep, deep inside of Asta there was a voice of reason pleading with her to listen to Rafael and take his words at face value. Asta was still and silent while the man spoke, but that was only because she became transfixed on the strange vial that the mercenary held, but her attention was diverted to something more important: he was healing.

Like her. Too fast for any human. She marred her pretty face with a curled lip, furrowed brows and wrinkled nose, looking all at once disgusted and befuddled by Rafael’s words. As if she could get answers elsewhere, she looked at Tulio, but the dog could tell her nothing.

First off,” Asta said, keeping her axe pointed towards Rafael, “you couldn’t kill me even if that toothpick was actually made in Tyr and you were covered in silver.” She warily eyed his silver dagger, or at least the general area of where he had placed it. How could he use silver? Yes he wasn’t exactly like her, or else she would have already chewed his head off, but weren’t all were-whatevers weak to silver?

Second,” she lowered her axe, swinging it back into place behind her until it was secure. “Why on Arethil should I give you my blood?” Asta stalked towards him, each step purposeful and as intense as her gaze as she got close to Rafael, angling her face up towards him so he could witness the ferocity of her golden glare. She jabbed a finger at his chest, hard.

You should plan your next words carefully. I can sniff out bullshit better than a bloodhound after a raccoon. Now, let’s see what that smart Cortosi mouth of yours comes up with.

Rafael

• Nervous
"Ow." Rafael said, putting a hand up to where she had poked him, but still doing his best to keep up that winning smile.

He did not want this to turn into a fight.

The monster in his head was being kept quiet by the remnants of the potion, but if Asta started going after him? There was only so much that alchemy could do. Eventually fight or flight would kick in, and there wouldn't just be a wolf running around in these halls.

Rafael had absolutely no idea if the bat could even best Asta's wolf. She seemed fairly confident of herself, and in truth if he was in a parlor Raf would have bet on her too.

Best not to let this turn into a fight. "It's simple, because you'd be helping a fellow...wanderer."

It seemed wrong to call himself a monster. He wasn't, just the thing in his head was.

"Werewolf blood is the only, well part of it, way that I can keep my guy..." His palm turned so that his thumb pointed at himself. "Happy and cozy up in here."

He pointed to his head. "I'm sure you can understand why I might want that."

Rafael's smile faltered, but Tulio's did not. The dumb little dog sad happily between the two 'human's, his tail wagging back and forth as it swished on the floor of the ancient decrepit church. As Asta poked at Rafael, and as the Cortosi made his excuses, the little armored dog squeezed between the two of them. Snout pressing against legs in an attempt to gather both attention and pets.

• Cthulu Knife
A part of Asta felt like every other word that fell from Rafael’s lips had to be a lie. A second part of her felt a sort of intrigue that she had to keep at bay. Yet her thoughts would wander to the possibility of maybe he was on something.

Asta could, more than she would ever want to admit to it, empathize with the fact that there was a trade off when it came to lycanthropy. Some were luckier than others depending on the strain they had and others got the shit end of the stick. She had gotten the shit end and to this day she could do nothing but tie herself up to something dirty and let the days pass until she was human.

Did he do the same? Is that what the silver was for or this dog that kept nudging her with its wet nose?

The issue was, there was a mutation going around the lycans and no matter how many she killed, more seemed to pop in. Blood was a factor, what if Rafael was trying to increase his own strength or maybe he was the reason that this disease had even started?

Yeah, I get why you’d want it.” Asta said. “You wouldn’t be the first or the last to want my blood. But I don’t hand anything our for free.” She took a step back, lowering her gaze and looking down at Tulio. When he looked up at her with those puppy eyes and mouth open like he was smiling, her anger faded just enough for her to relent to it’s whims.

She crouched down low, ignoring the strain in her muscles as fatigue began settling in. Her thighs would shake like she was cold. Asta would glance up at Raf with a shit-eating grin.

I’ll give you my blood for the dog.

Rafael

• Nervous
Rafael watched Asta about as carefully as any man had ever watched anyone. He wasn't entirely sure what the woman would do. Cut his throat? Jump on him and tear out his skull?

Smooch him on the nose?

The mad fury in her eyes would have made him say she was capable of any of them. Yet despite that gamblers chance, Rafael still found himself balking when she knelt down and made her demand. "You want my dog?!"

He said, his voice a mixture of surprise and utter despair. The lamentations echoing through the now destroyed chapel actually sounding somewhat true for once.

"My sweet fluffy little moron?" Rafael said as he looked down, dropping to Asta and the hounds level. Arms wrapped almost immeidately around the dogs armored neck, fingers petting exposed fur as Rafael shook his head. "Never."

His silvery eyes turned towards Asta, even as the beast within him still thrashed. "Not for all the blood in your body would I give up my sweet fool."

Tulio laved his tongue against Rafael's cheek.

"Not ever." Not after all they had been through together.

• Cthulu Knife
Tulio was a sweet fluffy little moron. Even now he seemed oblivious to the words that Asta had said, if anything, Tulio looked rather pleased with having the two of them lower on the ground. Or maybe the dog was quite fond of Rafael and was happy just to have the man hug him.

That wouldn’t excuse Raf’s insult. Now he didn’t want her blood? What the fuck was wrong with her blood?!

You’re the fool.” Asta snarled. “My blood is the best you could ever get! Every drop would be worth ten of those dogs!” She stood up, albeit with a slight unsteady sway, but looked down at Raf as if she had just performed an amazing feat. On hand was on her hip as she leaned her weight to one side, her other hand pointing at him again.

I was born on the full moon! When I came from my mother’s womb I was already a wolf! My blood is the purest blood there is!” She couldn’t back up that claim with any fact— nor could she for the previous two— but she could prove it with her fists. Besides, her father wasn’t a liar! Was he? “First you want this pile of shit.” Asta kicked the Sickened. “Then you tell me my blood is worthless?! That a mutt has more value?!

Veins were taut against her skin, her eyes looking less human and more like a beast’s. Something ripped, her clothing giving up in trying to hold her muscles back.

I SWEAR YOU’RE JUST TRYING TO PISS ME OFF AT THIS POINT! ALL I WANT IS TO PET YOUR GODDAMN DOG!

Rafael

• Nervous
From his now kneeling position, Asta's entire tirade was utterly terrifying. By the time she finished, the Cortosi was pale in the face and a drop of sweat beaded on his brow.

"I uhh..." He cleared his throat, swallowing. Unable to keep the shake from his tone. "You can pet the dog as much as you want...he loves pets. I like him happy. It's fine, it's all good, you're..."

Rafael paused, then said. "Nice."

He cleared his throat.

"You just can't have him." There was a firmness to his tone as he said the words.

No fear added to them.

• Wonder
It was immediately, the change in her face, her body, her entire demeanor and aura. Her eyes once blazing with fury softened and she looked at Tulio with a smile that matched her gold eyes.

I am nice.Asta agreed. She knelt down, shaky hands going over to then pet the dog. His little metal plate covered a good portion of his head but she gentle scratched his snout and then moved on to using both of her hands to scratch and rub at his furry cheeks before going down to his fluffy neck. She was quiet for a while enjoying herself with the simple pleasure of petting a furry animal.

Most animals avoided her like the plague, even the greatest predator would hide from her.

So what are you?” Asta asked finally. “A wereraven?

Rafael

This woman was clearly insane.

But maybe this whole trip wasn't wasted just yet. Maybe if he played his cards right, and Tulio remained as handsome and cute as he was, he might still come out on top of all this. "Bat."

He admitted readily.

It was not often that he got to speak openly about the monster which possessed him. Most people when they found out immediately tried to burn him at the stake, run him through with an Iron dagger, or began throwing silver religious symbols in his direction. None of which he generally wanted to deal with.

"Got it the regular ol-way though." Rafael offered freely, deciding it was best not to question Asta's story. "Out near Siella."

A bitter chuckle escaped his throat. "You'd figure the Radiant Church would have a handle on things but…"

Well, here he was. Despite all the bastards proselytizing and claiming to scour the land of 'evil'. Cortos was still just as dangerous under their rule as it was under anyone else. Not that it couldn't have happened elsewhere, but he liked blaming the church.

They were basically the reason he couldn't go home. Instead having spent the last few years in the free-cities where the church did not yet have power.

• Thoughtful
Of course they don’t. Religion makes people placid.Asta said, surprising herself with the vehemence in her tone. Her fingers were still for a moment. “Well. Not all the time.” It felt wrong to have said that. Her grandma would be turning in her grave if she knew. Good thing she was far away from her childhood home. Grandma couldn’t hear her insult religion all the way over here, could she?

Anyways,” her fingers and hands resumed in their lavishing on Tulio. “You can touch silver? Is that because you’re something else? I thought we all were allergic to it?” More importantly she asked, “does your dog know any tricks? Can he roll over?

Rafael

• Bless
Rafael let out a small chuckle. "Wish more people saw it that way."

Unfortunately, he knew first hand that such was not the case. He'd had more than a few run ins with the Church, and even before his...affliction, he had never much liked them. Damned Inquisitors looked at everyone like they were criminals.

Even hardworking mercenaries.

"Yep." He confirmed. "Silvers never seemed to bother me."

A fact he'd figured out almost immediately. The metal had been one of the first thing he'd tried when he was attempting various cures and tinctures. Didn't do a damned thing. Aluminum though? That shit hurt like a bitch.

No idea why. "I met a wererat once that could touch it too."

Rafael suggested with a shrug.

Tulio, for his point, let out a happy bark almost the moment that Asta mentioned 'tricks'. His head picked up, and his tail wagged. He heard 'roll-over' and almost immediately the dog took three steps back before throwing himself at the ground. The thunderous racket of his armor clattering on the cobbles ringing out incessantly in the church as he tumbled end over end three or four times before standing up.

"Ow." The Cortosi said, rubbing his ear. "Yes, he knows tricks."

Rafael said, pointing out the obvious, but added. "Though he wants treats for doing them."

As soon as he spoke, Asta would see them; the biggest most cutest puppy dog eyes to ever exist staring up at her.

• Wonder
It was a good thing that Raf had stopped talking as soon as Tulio threw himself onto the ground, Asta had stopped listening the moment the good boy did the best roll over she had ever seen. She clapped her hands, cooing at the dog in a baby voice.

What a good boy,” Asta said, both hands going out to ruffle up the fur on his neck. “Food motivated, are you? Because you’re a good boy, that’s right, such a good boy.” Now that she had started using the baby voice it would be hearsay to stop using it. Especially with the puppy dog eyes and the expressive eyebrows that tug at her heart strings.

She didn’t have treats but there was something she could give Tulio. Attached to her was a small pouch and out she pulled a even smaller sack. She untied it and opened it up and a horrible smell came forth. It was a mixture of iron and savory sweetness with a hint of earthiness. It would have smelled good but there was something about the ratio that was just off.

Asta pulled out a round ball of tried meat and who knew what else that suspiciously looked like a turd.

Ta-da.” She sang and held the ball out towards Tulio. “Salmon liver, sparrow gizzard, turtle heart, badger eye and pig aorta ball with some chickpeas for extra protein! Go ahead, try it. It’s crunchy.

Rafael

• Cthulu Knife
Rafael’s nose curled as the stink of…whatever it was Asta pulled out touched his rather sensitive nose. His head turned away and he nearly gagged. The stink of the stuff worse than the afflicted corpse on the floor.

Tulio on the other hand, simply did not seem to mind at all.

The Hound stood in rapt attention as Asta presented her meal. His eyes growing wide, and his tail slowing to a patient and anticipatory wag. Watching the meal within the werewolves hand like a hawk. Almost as though he thought she would snatch it away.

Within a second of the word ‘Go’, the moment Asta gave permission, Tulio chomped.

It was a shockingly delicate, well placed chomp, but a chomp nonetheless.

Rafael watched in disgust as his loyal hound was continually co-opted by the werewolf. His head shaking as he watched the dogs tail wagging to and extreme degree. Happy noming noises echoing in the empty church. ”You’re going to spoil him.”

The werebat complained quietly.