Private Tales Faith Illuminated

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Kiros remained in his stance of presentation. The shimmering light of the curtain just behind his outstretched arm illuminated him and the ground they stood upon with shifting brightness that ebbed and flowed. Bubkiss was as fascinated as ever, wasting little time in performing his analysis of the spell, appearing to be in deep focus with continued attention upon it. Kiros knew not what was on his mind, yet he could readily tell there was plenty going through it.

“Well I say, I do so say, that is most remarkable, most remarkable! Her Luminant Curtain! Bravo, bravo, simply outstanding. I dare say that is the most impressive thing I've seen in my travels since my Master's leaving!” Bubkiss remarked, to which Kiros gave the slightest of bows just as the curtain’s effect drew to a close, and the massive billowing sheet of light dispersed in an instant.

That he could still utilize his magic without deity or master was yet another quality of college magic he could not help but envy. If only She would operate under such a paradigm, leaving to his own devices to accomplish what he needed. It was a luxury enjoyed even by most divine mages, as far as Kiros was aware.

“I'll need some time to think. But, I do dare say Kiros that we might perform a powerful team.” Bubkiss continued, eliciting another brief pause from Kiros at the comment. The concept was one he had not considered, and though he was hesitant it was not out of any lack of faith on Bubkiss’ abilities. His lack of faith was instead in Her, and what ordeals Bubkiss might suffer in Her service. Kiros knew then far, far too well, having survived many years of Her chaotic ‘guidance.’ Yet all the same, he could hardly turn him away without sabotaging the holy mission of proselytization he’d been mandated to take. Ironically enough, it was that he did approve of the gnome that he felt troubled in taking him on as a partner.

But as the gears did turn in Bubkiss mind, did they too turn in the mind of Kiros. His position as Her emissary and sole priest might afford him the ability to shield Bubkiss from Her wrath. So long as Kiros alone held communication with Her, he might retain the freedom to interpret Her instruction as proper holy scripture. He’d certainly require a fair of it in order to transform whatever She had to say into instructions that could actually be followed. Whatever punishment would be incurred from the inevitable failure of a task so often impossible would be borne by him, and him alone. Should She smite him as She inevitably would, what the others might think of a comatose priest was concerning. Still, he could surely create suitable cover when the time to do so came. So long as Bubkiss would not have to suffer Her directly, he might yet pull this off.

“A team? I think that might be suitable. You certainly share an aptitude for weaving magic and light.”
Kiros said, still speaking with the feigned sense of pride he did not truly possess. “But servitude to the gods carries additional dimension to it. The holy word given by the divine must be obeyed. The responsibility is great, and the post high.” Kiros added. He knew such was true, far too well.

“I can tell though, you seem hardly deterred. Yet, it is ever prudent to verify your commitment.” He added, and it was further truth. This was no simple notion the gnome had in passing – he had travelled far and researched well to seize this opportunity. Kiros doubted much might discourage Bubkiss, aside from honesty of Her true and terrible nature that could be not delivered without condemning himself to the very damnation Kiros so feared. The best he could do was to instill a sense of caution in the young gnome. Aside from discouragement, it seemed the best way to safeguard him from the very mistake Kiros had made all those years ago.

Better that only he suffer Her direct correspondence.

Bubkiss also professed that he didn't care to rush into the matter, which was for the best. His' time in taking deliberate care would provide Kiros a buffer with which to concoct such a suitable description of the theology She'd hardly regaled him with. Following Her instruction led to nothing but chaos, and hearing Her voice caused nothing but headache. It was for the best that Bubkiss planned to proceed with deliberate care. Kiros would need to do likewise, albeit while feigning true faith in his own terrible goddess.

Or even better, he might lose interest and seek out other, better deities. If only he could speak of the might of Annuk, or the wisdom of Naspar instead of fibbing about the greatness of Itra. Long had he dreamed to do so. Yet, shamed and damned as he was, he could not. Their names were too holy and great to leave the lips of one who had murdered those who were holy.

Perhaps he deserved Her. He still certainly didn’t care for Her in the slightest.

MrTophat

Bubkiss twitched his moustache and smoothed his beard, growing quiet and further, still. His eyes darted from left to right, and he considered the riddle before him. One he was careful to navigate. His Master had warned him of contracts, of the slipping of minor details, of the sanctity of integrity. This was the first time he had been expected to serve the God in question, instead of enchant the glass, instead of putting on a show. This was a little beyond what Bubkiss originally had in mind.

Surely the man did not expect those who served as clerks and stonemasons to the temples to be as devout as the priest? Surely there was room for wiggle room, Bubkiss thought, although, this job might be the first real continual work I can enjoy and express himself with. Think of the money that's slowly but surely dwindling that Master Murk left me. He did let me be free to pursue what jobs I could find, to prove myself to the world that his wonderful training, schooling and parenting, that it was to be put to some service. Some common good.

Who knows, Master Murk might come back when he finds out about my deeds. Worthy of a God of light, I can imagine the accolade. Why not serve for a time? It's a form of contract, a way of supporting a fellow practictioner of the arts, and ultimately, might give me a leg up to being recognised. A bigger audience?

And after all, isn't the audience the most important thing? Better than a fraudulant priest. I've heard much, but, oh, to the hells with it, I've been too quiet for too long.

Bubkiss cocked his head and obfuscated his thoughts. A torrent of theory was instead provided, perhaps, perhaps designed to bamboozle. This was a test of Bubkiss's own, in his own crafty way he was assuring himself a good position of service, instead of the lower rungs.

I'm an expert on illusion. Best start acting like it, instead of some stage hand to whatever this God wants done.

Well, the holy word must be served, you say. But, you have to understand Kiros, that I obey different rules entire for such miracles you display. The field of magic you command, well, it's certainly impressive no doubt. But I must use materials, theories, structure, form, instead of your process that involves third party transferance of power, of faith illuminated by dogma and devotion instead of light channelled by interaction of the prime wave using cogitation of the wave of possibility.”

He sneezed and caught it with a handkerchief. He tucked it into his pocket and continued.

I am beholden to the light in my own way. I have some rules too, see? I don't want to sign up and then be beholden to practice my art to your dogma. You allowed a third party to interrupt the wave of possibility that in turn synchronised with the wave of reality through a far flung source of power, not a device, a faith, a God! Which is all very impressive, yes, but what's stopping your God, Itra, from demanding that I only use such a method to alter the wave of possibility? Or indeed, if I am to amplify your own magic, to alter it, to channel it to a stream of prestructured eddies of temporary waylines, the spiderwork of structure that I've seen the fey use, well, I'm going to have to do it my own way. I figured out that Fey Queen's game in the place of dreams, and well, I didn't do it by signing over my process to them lot, as powerful as they were!

He grew defiant, yet measured in speech. He was really having to focus his energy to not tumble his words.

“I've spent years learning from the best, and you've certainly got the goods to deliver, but if I can't operate my magic in my own way, well, understand, I'm just trying to preserve my integrity to light magic in the form of illusions, not the direct application of light to create abjuration. I'm purely thinking of my career. Can't expect me not to have a caveat to remain true to the words I learned from my Master. Years under his wing would be wasted if your God demanded I render service by miracles instead of the raw trappings of the Wave, it's wonderful rules, it's method of altering what is seen! Respect my craft, you God must do, because I'm not starting from the beginning of my career again! I'm an illusionist! Proud of it. Won't depart from it. No matter what.”

The words were delivered with pride and self respect, and the gnome seemed to have flared up in confidence by his delivery of the speech. He affixed his hat to his head to punctuate the point. He gleamed with spectral blue light unwittingly at his own words, the fabric of his clothes shimmering with raw light itself, turning his clothes to purest white, before dipping back to purple as Bubkiss breathed and realised that he had manifested his own power unwittingly.

Kiros Rahnel

• Bless
Reactions: Kiros Rahnel
Bubkiss responded to Kiros’s concerns with a great amount of caution, vocalizing them at length with a rapid pace. Kiros hardly seemed taken aback or deterred throughout. Rather, the attitude his companion displayed was received rather well by Kiros, who was grateful that his concerns were mistaken. Outwardly, he retained the same stoic disposition as ever, but inwardly, he breathed a sigh of relief. If only he had the same sense of precaution upon meeting Her that Bubkiss displayed now.

Good that he remained devoted to his own brand of magic, and Bubkiss’ affirmation towards his own arts was a better sign than the nervous gnome believed. Apprehension seemed to turn into defiance, with Bubkiss making a reaffirmation of his identity and craft. And even more importantly, a valid justification that Kiros could accept in rejection of the post. Were Bubkiss to express doubt in Kiros’ deity, he felt that he would have been compelled to defend the notion, however begrudgingly. But rather, Bubkiss affirmed devotion to his own means of magic and performing his craft. Surely, it would not be sacrilegious to accept such a decision.

“Ah, forgive my hasty leap to conclusions! Your caution is most warranted however, for it is a serious affair.” Kiros replied in reassurance, hands raised with open palms out in a gesture of understanding. He’d certainly startled him with the offer, by all appearances. In a sense, it was good to get that out of the way. Without fear that he was giving audience to someone who’d blindly seek to serve Her, Kiros continued with a sense of renewed confidence. A relief to know that Bubkiss spoke not of Itra when he declared his determination to prove himself. Kiros wasn't one to persuade him otherwise. He might have been obligated to accept, She had never mandated that he request, nor insist, nor had She many many specifics at all.

Kiros seemed qualified to come to such a conclusion. Without much guidance towards how he ought handle the post, the matter seemed one he was fit to judge. Far better him, than Her.

But since Bubkiss not meant to unwittingly serve to a goddess he was much better off not, Kiros remained wondering what he desired from the teamwork he suggested.

“I've no inclination to convert through pressure, please fret not. Yet, I ought inquire further of your offer, then.” Kiros asked, hands now clasped as he made his inquiry.
“I'd rather hear your goals forthright, than hazard a guess. What had you in mind?” He asked. Having dispensed with the possibility that Bubkiss was a fervent pursuer of Her holy word, Kiros could listen with much less worry.

MrTophat

Last edited:
  • Aww
Reactions: MrTophat
Bubkiss didn't quite factor in the bluster that had been generated about himself, like static electricity that did generate with the friction of concern. He smoothed out his clothes that had so recently showed elements of the luminous white that was the eking out of the passionate will to his craft that had so possessed him. He took out his pipe once again and stopped to pace again, quick puffs of smoke that came out magenta, yellow and cyan each in turn. It was not delivered from irritation, more relief, like a simmering pot that had lid removed, the vapour was simply pressure being released.

Sales pitch time old boy! Make it splendid why don't you, make it yours!

Welllll,” Bubkiss said drawn out, and cast a wholesome eye at Kiros as he turned to perform the brain storming. His hands shot out with a sparkle of incandescent light that were like the fluttering of butterflies that filled the air.

I dare say I have some ideas! First, seeing as you have no building, the open air venue is a select space for propagation of your words! Open spaces are fine places to do illusionary work with proper preparation and irrigation of the ground. So yes, instead of building a pyramid for instance, which would take, uh, well, time and workers and money, goodness me so much money, think of the wages, we make one out of light! A shining pyramid with a floating eye that will resonate with power!”

Bubkiss drew in a well of power into his walking stick and projected a small all temporary display of a pulsing pyramid of vibrant copper that did glow impressively before the two of them. Bubkiss smiled and added, “You know, and in fact you probably do, that the word awesome comes from the reaction people had within churches? It's true! Probably!”

The illusion faded from view.

So yes, right, so here's the pitch. Ahem. Imagine it. You're stood up delivering some deed received by history to be imparted upon the people about your recent successes, and what you can provide the people with your faith's good nature. I would serve that message with illusion of these events going on behind you, your words punctuated by visions of greatness, like the stained glass window of some faiths that do depict beautification. Uh, is that right? I mean beatification. Yes,sorry, it's been a little while, heh. As your words unravel the truth of things, I punctuate things behind the scenes as if your God was lending light to the truth itself! Not trickery,t o be clear, more illustrative aids to help the education of the people about the rightness of what you're doing. Dry words are a dime a dozen, but picture books that even the uneducated can nod sagely and say, yes, what a fine thing, that is best for spreading messages. That's the core of the ceremony covered, now let's talk funerals. Yes, funerals, a real source of money generation which is vital for the health of any church. I've actually written a few papers on how illusions can be used to help the grieving process by giving vision and tribute to the departed, and how each faith might ease the suffering of those who've suffered loss. Delivered theatrics for a few as well. And there's all manner of price points! Nobles will pay quite a great deal for a decent funeral that keeps up with Joneses, whoever that is. And when it comes to morality plays, well, I'm your gnome! Horrid or pleasant, I can do both I assure you. For while I prefer to do wholesome things it can grow a bit stale if you don't have the odd display of horror. A burning man here, a vicious death there, all delivered in omnicolour quality from your man Bubkiss Widewallow!”

He snapped his jacket and gave a brief display of one such thing. On one side a weave of crimson knights who stood victorious over a dragon, who's outpouring blood did project fire as it made contact with a river, and on the other side was a man in stocks who was being pelted with skulls.

Should you wish to talk about the afterlife mostly, or matyrdom, I know such things can be grisly and I'm not afraid of the details. Can't forget comedy and tragedy to the theatre experience and domain of showsmanship, am I right old sport? Although I suppose there's less comedy and more tragedy in the world of religion in this grim day. Especially from what I heard about your recent, um, well, sorry. I do go on.”

Kiros Rahnel

• Love
That Bubkiss would swear no fealty to Her was a blessing outright, yet the offer made was further dreadful, precisely because he would be extremely useful for the task Kiros was reluctantly mandated to pursue. He held no actual desire to spread Her horrible name. By the showmanship and creativity displayed by the energetic gnome, he'd do far greater than Kiros could have ever imagined or desired. Not that he held motivation to perform his detested task to any degree of success – especially not to the degree that Bubkiss could enable. Yet, that Kiros did not want to do so was of ultimately little consequence, when She had given him such a recent reminder of what fate would befall him if he neglected the task. Given the utterance of Her name, Her awareness of the offer seemed as certain as the punishment Kiros would incur should he refuse.

“I can already see your talents would be extremely useful to Her cause.” Kiros replied, careful to keep an enthusiastic tone despite his own derision to the notion. He frantically pondered whether there was any way out of this, but none could be found. Itra was surely watching, and avoidance of his task would both damn him and see the labour of being Her emissary upon the shoulders of some other poor fool. Despite his aversion, there was nothing that could be done to undo the dreadful revelation. Others might seek Her out, and that such fears would be founded seemed eventually certain.

Should you wish to talk about the afterlife mostly, or matyrdom, I know such things can be grisly and I'm not afraid of the details. Cant forget comedy and tragedy to the theatre experience and domain of showsmanship, am I right old sport? Although I suppose there's less comedy and more tragedy in the world of religion in this grim day. Especially from what I heard about your recent, um, well, sorry. I do go on.” Added Bubkiss, in an unintentional but chilling reminder of the damnation She threatened to abandon him unto. Even if he could stomach the thought of such a sacrifice (which he couldn't), it would still be made in vain. Bubkiss had discovered Her name on his own, which implied there might be more who have also heard it. Fret remained that others might unwittingly seek to serve Her. Though the idea of 'enlightening' Arethil to Her existence remained reasonably abhorrent, Kiros had already unwittingly enabled Her to reveal Herself in the first place.

Still, it was not lost on him that he was better off guiding those who could not know better. If he could not clean up the mess he made, the best he could to was to contain it. At least would be inexpensive, without the cost of materials. For the best that Bubkiss volunteered his talents, Kiros could not pay him, and She ought not be asked.

“Fret not, and true. Divine punishment can be one such topic, as you've surely heard.” Kiros remarked. The tale of The Crook seemed fit to share simply because it involved a greater goddess. He could give credit where it was due, and speak Seneschal's late name with the reverence deserved. Opening with the grisly tale that led to the thief's punishment might also discourage others from attempting to give Itra worship, a further benefit. He was mandated to follow the letter of Her instruction, but not the spirit of it. If he had to spread Her name, doing so as discouraging as he could get away with seemed the best alternative to outright avoidance.

“True, the details are macabre. One ought beware the wrath of the gods. Yet the tale is at the foremost of Her warnings, lest any repeat the crime that threatened our mortal coil. If you are ready to hear it, I shall share it.” Kiros remarked, giving his companion ample warning before delving into the topic of Her harsh eternal punishment. The screams he had heard were terrifying, as was the awareness that they'd continue evermore. This was bound to be the difficult part, and best to get it out of the way. Perhaps Bubkiss might walk away outright in disgust himself, leaving Kiros to simply shrug his shoulders and tell Her he tried.

He'd still be smote – but better smote than damned.

MrTophat

• Love
Caution was not a byword of gnomes. Upon seeing peril they smiled. And so too did Bubkiss in this moment.

He kicked a pebble away as if booting the concern firmly away. It scattered when his own sense of self preservation should have directed him so.

Always ready to hear a good story,” Bubkiss said as if he was about to hear a secret recipe handed down by generations by family matriarchs, “and more so if it helps me help you and your lot.”

He placed a thumb to his lips and hummed a long note as if just deducting something.

But a moment, this is important. Best jot it down.”

He tapped his foot three times and repeated slower.

Best jot it down.”

He tapped another two times.

Oh for love of panache, I said,” Bubkiss said, growing busy in motion about himself as he blustered, his hands gripped in frustration, his boots stamping on the ground in a strange sort of gnomish dance that was reserved only for their inventions, “best jot it down, that is your command phrase!”

From around Bubkiss' belt did a ornate silver pen emerge sheepishly, alongside a purple notebook which was dog eared and well used. Bubkiss looked down with jutting chin as he tapped his foot and held out his hand.

Bubkiss looked at Kiros and as if they were both the boss of the journal and pen shook his head ruefully.

Just can't get the staff,” Bubkiss said, having heard the phrase used in various contexts before and thinking that it sounded good in this moment. He rolled his eyes in pantomine like style as his gloved hand was nudged by pen and book and peered down at them from behind his spectacles. The writing impliments had floated up to him in the same sleepish style as before.

That's better,” Bubkiss said and thumbed open a blank page. He quickly scrawled the date in messy handwriting, which after a few moments warped into far more legible script. Just as the gnome spoke all too quickly, his hands wrote too quickly and too sloppily. Certainly not in the style of the scribe. His master had attended him in such a short coming and provided him such a tool. A tool which had grown all more belligerant for the master's absence.

Now, please, my good Kiros, regale me. And don't spare any of the details. I can handle it, I do assure you,” Bubkiss said, completely confident in his ability to be a gnome about what he was about to hear.

Kiros Rahnel

Last edited:
The gnome remained curious about his task, and Kiros was obligated to respond. The tale he'd been mandated to speak of was one of gruesome vengeance, extracted by a gruesome goddess. Bubkiss remained ready to record what he had to speak, and doing so would no doubt please Her. Not that he had any such inclination, he was simply required to.

“Under Her guidance, I arrived upon a ruined temple that even history had forgotten. It was the site of disturbance upon the fabric of the arcane. For within was an artifact of great power, well beyond what was meant for mortal hands to touch. Yet, one did. Do you recall the disturbance of magic a year ago, that rendered spells chaotic and poorly functioned? He was the cause of it.” Kiros began. To refer to Her mandated instruction as 'guidance' was a generous stretch. He himself hadn't been aware of the associated calamity until he'd already set foot on the new continent and attempted to utilize Her granted magic to no effect. It was a nuance he'd wished She'd notify him off, but She had provided scant little information on his task. She had merely given him a destination, and a threat of damnation should he tarry to reach it.

“It was on Malakath that I first encountered the goddess, Seneschal. She guided us to the ruins of the temple that held the artifact – The Crook. Yet time was short, and continued meddling with the crook threatened existence. Seneschal sacrificed Herself to enable our arrival upon it in time.” Kiros continued, a touch more sure that Itra hadn't a foul hand in matters. He'd normally not put it past her, but the forces involved were clearly beyond what even She ought meddle with. The risk in placing The Crook with Her hands was great, but he'd been left with no other choice. Probable doom was preferable to certain destruction. Such was the reason he was Her priest in the first place.

“Further within, we found the man who dared to disturb the relic that could cause Arethil's destruction, motivated by desire of wealth and renown.” Kiros added. He couldn't be sure that was his true motive, but She had declared it so, which meant he was mandated to declare it as truth. “As punishment, She condemned him to an eternity of torment, chained to a mountain of gold where the sun burns him eternal. Where vultures tear out his flesh. I have heard his screams. They were the sound of incomprehensible suffering.” The sounds he had heard were truly terrifying. An eternity with Her was a fate that could be nothing else.

“His existence is now an example to Arethil of the peril in meddling with such relics. Gods who warn against calamity ought be obeyed.” Kiros concluded, in reference to Seneschal that was left intentionally vague. He had to credit both goddesses with the preservation of life upon Arethil. One of which would smite him were he to exclude Her.

Truly, it was the greater of the goddesses who'd been sacrificed.

MrTophat

• Gasp
Bubkiss was a flurry of sideways scrawled writing, the sloppy script contorting into something far more legible and dignified that the gnome's initial script. He wrote down the details as he glossed over them silently, a tongue extended from his lips as he turned the journal from side to side. Much like his speech which was all too hurried, so too was his writing, but in this effort it loaned him to ability able to keep up with the density of history displayed. But while the details were written, Bubkiss himself was so preoccupied with the writing of the information that he did not absorb it for it's meaning. It only come later, in dribs and drabs, as he would read the account and place deity to deed.

Well, I um, well, yes, yes I see, ahuh, and then what, ah, ah I see, yes” Bubkiss said softly as he listened and scribed, as if encouraging a watched kettle to boil by words themselves. He snapped the journal closed and paced for a few quick moments, trying to grasp the meaning behind the words but failing to do so entirely. He flipped open the book and read them again, and scratched his head.

I'm a little lost, but don't worry, I get the basic picture,” Bubkiss said, not quite understanding the history lesson that had just been told to him. His mind was working too quickly and waxed too rapidly to grasp the enormity of what had been said. Where it placed Kiros in relation to the deeds of the Gods, to their suffering. Bubkiss did his best to comphrend, but found that his brain could not piece these things together for the fog about the religious remained thick and inescapably pervasive in his mind.

And yes that does explain why magic was so darn tricky about a year ago. And say, is there a clear and present calamity which must be prevented now? Or is, uh, is the trouble over? Because of your faith, deeds, and well, uh, observations of proper action? Or something?” Bubkiss said, scratching his nose, and seemed all the more like childlike in his wonderings.

“Wait did you say eternity of torment? Wow, that's some mythical stuff. My Master used to use a particular chain of curse words that meant the same thing when his mirror shattered, but I didn't think that sort of thing, well, actually happened,” Bubkiss said and kicked his feet, throwing a stone across the ground.

No point worrying about it for us lot though, right?” Bubkiss said hopefully. “It'll be what it'll be!”

Kiros Rahnel

• Bless
Bubkiss wrote down a flurry of words as Kiros described the events that he had been not only witness to, but harbinger of. The gnome wrote with alacrity, and made an attempt at speaking that hardly formed a complete sentence. He was quite taken with the experience recounted, with the efforts of interpretation clear on his expression.

“I’m a little lost, but don’t worry, I get the basic picture.” Bubkiss spoke.

“Wonderful!” Replied Kiros. That there was some difficulty in understanding was for the best, honestly. As Her holy emissary, he was only required to spread Her message. She hadn’t said anything of explaining it, which was something Kiros didn’t care to do. Partly because he lacked and enthusiasm to the task She’d given him, but mostly because more involvement simply meant there was more She could find fault in. Initiative was ever a liability with Her.

“Is the trouble over? Because of your faith, deeds, and well, uh, observations of proper action?” Bubkiss inquired, with some clear concern over the state of the world. Prudent for a man so talented in magic to worry, when the trouble threatened his livelihood. Had the danger progressed, ruin would have followed and no magic could have prevented it. And the expressed concern was wise, but for reasons Bubkiss could not know.

“Yes, the arcane disturbance has been quelled, and should not be repeated. The Crook has been removed, and even I know not where to.” Kiros responded. He doubted She knew, either. Whether the calamity had truly come to an end, he couldn’t initially be sure. He had hoped to hear from Seneschal, but the dead goddess could offer no report. Itra implied it was so, but no declaration from Her could provide Kiros with any confidence. This doubt was what had prompted his return to Malakath and verify the success of the quest he’d been sent on. Though confident that the calamity had been resolved, he remained disturbed that She was the figure to which their safety had been entrusted. What a cruel world it was, that rendered Itra such a guardian.

“No point worrying about it for us lot though, right?” Bubkiss added his concern.

“Absolutely so. There’s no need for fret.” Was Kiros’ stoic response.

Greater gods help us.

MrTophat

• Popcorn