Private Tales Esprit de Corps

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Henk gently released Istra as she steadied herself, grateful that all was well. The professor's safety aside, it would have been quite a predicament if she'd been knocked unconscious or injured, and the last two people she'd been with were students from Vel Anir. The possibility of a misunderstanding of epic proportions was... well, it made him shudder just a little.

And he'd chastised Edric and Noel about not starting a war.

Istra's explanation was out of the realm of Henk's knowledge, but he followed her line of thinking. "It stands to reason that anybody with sufficient motive to hide the book for generations would have magic powerful enough to protect it. That it was still within the Sentinel's Home after all this time... perhaps other protections that guarded it up until this point had only just faded enough for the book to be removed in the first place."

Speculation, but with fascinating implications if there was any truth to Henk's guessing. Nevertheless, Istra and Kristen continued to discuss possible methods of opening the book, both of their interests beyond piqued by the odd artifact. He hated to be the one to do it, but reluctantly Henk cleared his throat.

"Perhaps we should take a moment to address whether or not the book 'should' be opened. If the magic protecting it is so strong, I question if cracking it open without having some idea of what it contains, or any context, is a wise choice."

Either way, Henk agreed that a church of the associated religion would be an appropriate next step. Perhaps they could shed some light on the matter that Istra wasn't privy to. Plus, Kristen seemed eager to go regardless of the book, and...

Well, admittedly Henk did like to see her smile.

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Henk gave Kristen some pause, and the tips of her fingers brushed her chin at this worrisome consideration. She was convinced that the book had to be opened. Finding it where she had and given its age, surely there within would be knowledge and wisdom not found anywhere else on Arethil. Would it benefit Celestialism to simply let these pages stay forever locked?

But she couldn't be entirely sure. It was to her, perhaps fittingly, a matter of faith that the book should be opened.

Istra spoke before Kristen could, saying to Henk, "An excellent point. Another reason, as well, why the church ought to be consulted. Matters of magic aside, they may be able to research the history on that book, especially if it truly is as important and notable as the two of you suspect. This would give you better insight on the question of 'should' or 'should not.'"

Well, that settled it. For Kristen, at least.

Kristen looked to Henk and said, "This is the place to make such inquiries." The tiniest hint of wistfulness was in her words; she could feel it. Yes, it was not as if they had the opportunity for such a pursuit back in Vel Anir, her very homeland in which she had to practice her faith in the secretive confines of her bedroom closet and speak nothing of it in public (at least until it proved useful via magic).

She stepped forward and secured the tome from Istra's desk.

"Would that I were not the sole bearer of the faith back home."

Henk

Kristen didn't speak much about her religion, but Henk understood that she worshipped figures that were not considered legitimate in the eyes of their home. He couldn't particularly relate to such an injustice, given he was far from religious in his own right, but if these people were as much of an authority on the types who would leave behind a strange treasure such as this, he couldn't deny the desire to pick their minds a bit himself.

Stepping forward, Henk gave Istra a deep bow, hands at his sides. "Thank you for your guidance, Professor. If you'd like, I will let you know what we find out at a later date." Raising up, he saw Kristen practically bouncing, tome in hand, at the door waiting for him. Cracking a slight grin, Henk turned to follow, looking back to add to the Professor, "Should Ammorath come asking for me, please send him my regards."

The Maester and himself had come to a bit of an agreement, and Henk didn't want to go running off into the city without letting the man know where he was headed. With that out of the way, Henk met Kristen at the door and followed her out into the crowded hall once more.

Slightly less crowded, thankfully.

"Alright." Henk breathed, happy to be out of the oppressive atmosphere of the impressive office. "Do we actually know where one of these churches is? Or is it time for another round of asking everybody under the sun?"

At the very least they'd made their way back out to the front gates of the College, looking out over the city once more.

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
"Indeed I will," said Istra in parting.

Back out into the hall they went, and down through the labyrinthine College and to its massive courtyard and finally to the front gates.

"I think mayhap some delightful wandering peppered with a few inquiries of the locals would make for a good afternoon," Kristen said.

* * * * *​

Churches, as it turned out much to Kristen's pleasant surprise, were not as rare a fixture as her Anirian mindset would've had her believe. The first person she and Henk asked for directions just sort of laughed and asked them in turn, "What kind of church are you looking for?"

It wasn't just Celestialism, but faiths of all kinds which flourished in places outside of their home of Vel Anir. Perhaps things might change, for the dawn of the Republic was still but a hint of the sun's flame to the metaphorical east.

At present, Kristen could merely gawk in wonder at the Church of the Pantheon in whose mighty shadow she and Henk stood. Less the small and humble church in her imagination and more a towering cathedral the like of which Kristen could have scarcely imagined. She could not have looked more the part of a foreigner in regarding the Church with so open a face of astonishment as she wore.

"'Tis truly a sight," she said to Henk. "A building emanating beauty and soul rather than utility and imposing airs."

These what Kristen was far more used to, the very models of homes and shops and structures of all types back home in Vel Anir. And only could this difference be glimpsed from outside, from having traveled abroad and seeing with their own eyes what variety Arethil had to offer.

Henk

Henk too was grateful that finding a Church was far from a difficult task in Elbion. He'd little need for them in Vel Anir, but to learn that they were such a common institution elsewhere was a little surprising, if not eye-opening to the boy. Yet another strange imposition from his people that he couldn't understand.

The walk through the bustling streets was short, but Kristen filled it with unmitigated praise for the religious freedom on offer in this city, complete with that strange overtly complex dialect she had a tendency to switch to whenever she got excited. It would have almost been cute if Henk could understand half of what she was saying.

"So, you have to be pretty careful where you express these opinions at home, I imagine?"

The way she was unloading, he wondered if she'd had a chance to talk to anybody about her beliefs in the last year. A small pang of regret tugged at his heart; If he'd known, he would have been beyond happy to learn more about her faith. It was an interesting topic, for sure.

"I'm looking forward to seeing what has you so enraptured, Kristen."

He wouldn't have to wait long, the massive structure that lie at the end of the path they'd been guided down was a strange combination of daunting and majestic. It looked less a place of worship and devotion and more a stronghold of the rich and powerful, the kind of place the Academy would task him with infiltrating.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up as he took a step back, looking over at the practically glowing woman beside him. "I think I'll follow your lead this time..."

Kristen Pirian

Last edited: