Private Tales En Route

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Well you never feel more alive then when you think you are inches from death." She smiled to herself, a statment she knew to be true. "And I most definitely cannot wait to learn."

When they would eventually land Esme had a couple of questions regarding the beautiful creature they rode upon and their relationship with their riders.

"A fact I know all too well." He mused before his attention shifted to the flight. The rest of this leg would go without any further excitement.

Six hours later, they would land near the start of a mountain range, a range which would seem peculiar as their were no foothills or or build up to the range itself. As if, the mountains had just been pulled from the earth like teeth.

Valdr would reach down to undo the buckles of his stirrups. "We need to let her rest for an hour or so, so we can make ourselves a quick meal then continue on." he would say over his shoulder. With the buckles loosed, he would swing from the saddle gracefully, despite his heavy armor and began to work on her harness. "So.. what did you think?"

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Esmeralda
"I enjoyed every moment," Esme would answer his question and once Valdr had finished unbuckling her, dismount with his assistance.

"Did you bring with any water for her?" She asked as she reached for a ribbon in her satchel to secure a braid she planned on putting in her hair.

"Good. I'm glad to hear it." He said softly as he helped her down, holding her close once she landed. He gave her a once over, before stepping away to the saddlebag.

"One of the tributaries are just beyond the next hill and the river from Ragnarra isn't far. Water aplenty, for us all." He mused with a sidelong glance.

• Cthuloo
With her ribbon secure and safety on solid ground she stroked the gryphon, "Thank you."

Esme straightened out her tunic that had gone slightly askew in their wirl wind ride.

"Are we to hunt or did you bring something along for us to fill our stomaches?" She mused.

Valdr would pull a pouch free of the saddlebag and step away, allowing Enyalius to wander a bit and stretch. "Rations. Bread, salted pork, the like."

He would take a seat on a large boulder being engulfed by the hill. "Come sit. I said to prepare for some light meals the next few days."

"You said pack a bag, not a feast." Esme teased and moved to sit lower down then Valdr, almost between his legs.
"Here," out of her satchel she pulled a flask, which most likely contained wine, offering it to him.
"How old were you when you first learned to ride a gryphon?" She asked then reached for a peace of bread from a small bag within her own satchel.

"Its not a feast, just your standard travel fare." He responded with a smirk. His legs parted, allowing her to lean against his thigh between his legs, if she so wished. At her offering, he would wave it off. "No thanks, I'm not too fond of wine." He would lean down to kiss the top of her head.

How old were you when you first learned to ride a gryphon?

He took out a piece of salted pork and clenched between his teeth before offering her one. His free hand then grabbed ahold of his salted pork after he took a bite. Thoughtful chews would follow her question. "First time was five. First time solo was eight, on Barlok, my fathers Gryphon. I trained with Argestes when I was but a boy, and he just a hatchling. We grew together. He couldn't bear me as a rider until I was twelve or thirteen, however."

• Popcorn
Esme leaned in and after the kiss on the her head looked up at him to listen. When he offered her some pork she thanked him and bit into it.
"Do all wardens learn from such a young age?" If so then how did he expect her to pick up on it so quickly. Esme was a fast learner but riding such a beast would take dedicated hours and most likely be accompanied by many bruises and scrapes.

"Some do." He mused. "Those with expectations, such as myself, my siblings. Most get the few years for training. That is about the length of time it takes to become competent."

Her definate unease was put to rest. She stood atleast a chance now without looking absolutely useless. Beside that, she had the rest of her life to learn if her betrothal with Valdr went through...unfortunately it did not lay completely in her hands. A promise if marraige was one thing, but presenting it to the council and not having their approval would cause its own handful of problems to arise.

"Well I am happy to hear I shall not be to far behind your newest riders." Esme stood now from her seat between Valdrs theighs.
"I am going to stretch my legs a bit, care to join me?" She asked over her shoulder.

Well I am happy to hear I shall not be to far behind your newest riders.

"Not far behind, at all." He mused gently, shifting back so that she didn't hit him with her head. His eyes were fixed upon her form, no longer shrouded in dresses as he got to enjoy her in perhaps the most casual way they would ever be.

I am going to stretch my legs a bit, care to join me?

She looked at him over her shoulder, and something about it looked coy and playful. "I would love to." He would say as he rose to his feet. His gauntlets were tucked into his belt and he would extend a bare and calloused hand to take hers. "Shall we?"

Esme entwined her fingers with his and the pair began their stroll. She would enjoy every moment they had together now in private, for once there were no prying eyes or eavesdropping. They were free to talk as the pleased and Esme was more at ease then she had been in a long time.

They took their time, taking in the beauty of the strange mountin and all the scenery it had to offer. Esme slowed her steps until the young couple stood still.
She looked up into the golden eyes of the young man.
"Thank you for this." Her words were heart-felt and most definitely implied her gratefullness and appreciation towards much more then a ride through the clouds on a gryphon. Esme stood on her toes and offered Valr a small kiss on the lips, after which she would lean against him, her own arms twisted around his which was closest to her and her head against his broad shoulder.

Simple pleasures. That was the life of a Noble. Simple pleasures in stolen moments. In Route, they wouldn't be able to do this, so here in Vel Ehn, they needed as much time to themselves as they could get.

His smiles were no longer meant to disarm or to reassure. They were meant in earnest, true peeks into how each moment with his bride-to-be would go. For the first time in years, it felt as if his House wasn't relying on his every action.

He lost track of how far they walked, he only knew that he eased closer with every step basking in the presence at his side. All he knew, was they had walked for a bit and then they stopped.

Thank you for this.

She smiled, then got on her tiptoes l, and perhaps a bit too eagerly, he knelt down to return the kiss, to deepen it. The kiss broke and she leaned against him, her arms wrapped around his. "Anything for you, my Queen." His head leaned against hers.

• Aww
They stood now in silance and for how long she was not certain. But the silance was not uncomfortable, nor was it one that needed to be filled.
Eventually they made their way back to where they had landed before and Esme helped herself to some more bread and a swig of water.
She knew they would most likely leave soon again, not that it was her greatest wish to return to reality but it was something that had to happen eventually.
"How do you not spend every waking moment atop I gryphon?" She mused, "Simply feeling free, exploring the continet...all your cares and troubles could just drift away." Esme let out a breath as she let her mind wonder to a completely different lifestyle.

He lost track of the time, he just knew that he had reveled in their time together. The feel of her wrapped around his arm, the scent of her hair, the warmth of her breath. These were all things he was growing to appreciate more and more. It was a realization that he enjoyed.

But eventually, they found their way back to where Enyalius lounged in the grass, her wings folded against her body and her Visage one of complete calm. So still and at peace was she, while she basked in the sunlight, waiting for their return.

How do you not spend every waking moment atop I gryphon? Simply feeling free, exploring the continent...all your cares and troubles could just drift away.

He smiled. "Why do you think I take Toron? If I were on a Gryphon, I could see more, prepare more.. but I would shirk every duty I was sworn too. Far too much freedom for a lord." He added with a laugh. "But if I have to return to my Gryphon, I'll never be gone for too long."

• Smug
Aah yes..duties.

"Atleast now I know not to worry now that I have your word you shall return to me." Esme offered up a sheepish grin. She let go of Valdrs rough hand, its texture common amongst soldiers.
Esme approached Enyalis slowly and only a meter away she would kneel down onto, almost eye level to the creature.
"Do grphyons communicate with their bonded riders?" She asked him, as curious as a small child. From what the young queen had been told and heard in legions, dragons and those they bonded with could communicate in away so naturally she would wonder if the same held for a beast as mighty as a gryphon. It might be a long shot and could end in her looking like a fool for such a question but it most definitely intruged her. It was a strange world they lived in and Esme believed almost anything was possible...such beliefs though were fulled aswell by the stories she read every chance she got, she had been a bookworm since the moment she learned to read.

Atleast now I know not to worry now that I have your word you shall return to me.

"I will always return to you, Esme. Nothing will ever stop that." He said softly, giving her hand a gentle kiss before she pulled away. He then watched her with an amused look as she crouched before Enyalius.

Do grphyons communicate with their bonded riders?

"Yes and no." He would say, his hands clasping behind his back. "Not in the way that they can talk to you in your head, they're not dragons. But, it's more of a non-verbal communication. You will develop a sort of understanding with them."

• Sip
"Hmm," Esme tilted her head then got to her feet, dusting off her knees.
"It must be an undesribable bond to be able to communicate like that, a deep understand of one another."
"How much longer until we arrive
?" She began stuffing everything into her satchel, ready to leave in a moments notice.

"It is. Its more of an understanding. You learn their mood based on actions and movements." He would say as he stepped over to Enyalius and sat down, leaning against her. She didn't seem to move or waken.

"Six hours to Tar'shan, one from there to S'agara." He would muse. "Come and sit, Esme. We'll let her rest a little longer. She's one of our older gryphons."

"How long do they tend to live for?" Esme queried as she moved to sit down alongside Valdr, her head resting once again on his shoulder as she looked up into the sky, analyzing the formations of the clouds.

"You keep them healthy? Some can live up to fifty or so years. Some can't. We don't entirely understand them, likely never will." He would shift to allow her to lower beside him, his head rested atop hers.

"Phillip would have loved this."
The statement was soft spoken and a cloud of gloom seemed to cross over her face. "This was supposed to be his journey, his legacy."
It was seldom Esme ever spoke of her late brother but when she did, a incline of guilt seemed to be wraped around her voice.
This was not really her throne, her future or her Kingdom...it was supposed to be his, be Phillips and she did not know when it would ever stop feeling that way.

"Well, Im pretty sure that i wouldnt have this sort of relationship with Phillip." He teased, kissing the top of her head with a laugh. "Our fates are predetermined.. this was already your path, even if it seemed like it wasn't." Valdr spoke gently.

"Phillip was always meant to pave the path you were born to walk.. So you honor his memory by walking it as best as you can."

• Aww
"Nevertheless, he did not deserve what he got, at least it was a warriors death."

Esmerelda thought back to that fatefull day, the same one that often haunted her dreams.
Esme never caught his name, but she knew his face, the moster that had slain her brother. She had seen the whole thing with her own eyes.
Her people had been at war for a while with the Sidereal Elves of Jar'cilon. A nasty bunch they were, bloodthirsty and hungry for power.
It was as if it happened yesterday when it actual fact it had only been two years ago.
There Esme stood on the battle field, the brother she loved, doted on, adored, in his prime and more alive then ever only a few feet away.
Then tragedy struck, swords clashed and before she knew it...Phillips body lay limp on the floor.
A scream erupted from deep within her, Esme had rushed to Phillip and fell to her knees. The evil bastard that had slain him stood emotionless then simply turned and left.
Kicking and screaming, covered in sweat, blood and tears, Esme was dragged away from her brother.
In that split second, her life changed forever.

And now here she was, sitting peacefully next to a man who cared for her deeply and for whom she felt the same.

It felt like a sick joke.