Private Tales En Route to Elbion

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Amos shook his head at Lumen's offer to fetch more tea, though did not even look at the ale twice as it was delivered.

"It is the unfortunate nature of our great city that weapons always stand at the forefront of the mind." Amos contended with a slight frown, taking in a deep breath as he reached out and took a small sip of his tea. Soothing his throat and shaking his head at Kaeden's comment.

"Politics." He mused. "I think I'll continue to stay out of it."

Amos had always tried to stay out of the affairs of the Houses as much as he possibly could. A task that was becoming increasingly more difficult as Kaeden and His work was gaining acclaim. A few weeks ago some woman claiming to be related to the Virak's had practically cornered him.

She'd been terrifying. He let Kaeden lecture the Initiate on manners, smiling slightly as he spoke of speeding their work along. "Our work."

He said, finally answering Lumen's question. "Focuses mainly on the applications of magics in new and more versatile ways. Ensuring that even ordinary peoples, such as Kaeden and myself are capable of benefiting from the Arcane."

Lumen offered a shrug of apology at Kaeden's point to her being rude. But offered no more words on it. Lumen stuck pointedly to a glass of water. Even though, the ale wouldn't affect her. She just didn't like the taste.

More of a bourbon girl.

"I'd call you two anything but ordinary," she said with a quick, warm smile and slight shake of her head as she finished off her meal. But now she was curious. Elbows propped on the table as her head swiveled between one and the other male before her.

"So what is it? Some pill someone would take who didn't have magic and suddenly they can shoot lightning out of their fingertips?"

"Yes, a pill would be nice if it was that easy," Kaeden replied as he continued to sip on his beer despite Amos and Lumen electing to not join him.

In contrast, nearly all of the rest of the Bannick guard chose to enjoy their drink.

"But it'd be useful for the average person if they could heat their own homes in the winter with their own fire magic. Or the same thing, whichever. Purify water without having to spend fuel and time to boil it," Kaeden said as he explained some of the benefits of the layman using magic.

Then with a wide smile, Kaeden elated told Lumen, "And they'd spend so much money to have it."

• Haha
Reactions: Amos
Amos shook his head at his companions natural inclination towards the growth of his personal finances. A tendency he had yet to break him of. "I think we are far away from pills that grant magic."

He admitted quietly to Lumen.

"It is hard to explain." Amos admitted. "We are...creating something new, and the new is not always easily put into words."

For a brief moment he thought, and then slowly began to dig around in his pocket. After a moment he retrieved what appeared to be a small glass bulb. It lay empty in the moment, though there was a hole at the bottom. "Imagine, if you will, this was attached to a mechanism."

He began to explain.

"And with a touch of that mechanism, this bulb begins to glow." Light-Sticks, Kaeden and Amos called them. Or rather had called the one which had immediately exploded after they'd turned it on. The crystal powering it being too unstable. "Light produced in an instant, without the risk of fire."

Amos smiled. "A silly thing to someone like you, capable of magics, but to someone like my mother? A simple teacher in the slums of Vel Anir, miraculous. As Kaeden said, the value cannot be understated."

"It's not silly," she said quietly. A brush of her fingers that felt a little warmer than natural against the frail wrist of Amos. "I think it's brilliant. And," she paused, giving Kaeden an assessing look.

"If you're somehow able to make something like that affordable to anyone, can you just imagine how much that might change?"

She hoped for the better. Though, she wasn't naive enough to believe there wouldn't be those who would seek to weaponize such endeavors.

"I'm impressed. I-,"

"Lumen!" Freddy spoke across the room. "Stop fraternizing and get over here. You're on watch with me, remember?" The redhead sneered, looking down his nose at the initiate. An apologetic look crossed her features to Kaeden and Amos as she tucked blonde strands of hair behind one of her ears.

"I'd like to hear more about your work..if there's time later. Nice formally meeting you both," with her stew only half finished, she quickly stood to join Freddy where he stood glowering.