Private Tales Eating The Stars Like Salt Out of a Pretzel Bag

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Vel Anir was a strange place during the day. Hoards of people gathered to buy fruits and vegetables and whatever else it was people were selling at their little stalls just to make enough money to feed their families for another day. What an unfortunate life, fighting for your next meal like a dog. Nyxella noted as she weaved in and out of the people. At least they feed us in The Academy. She chuckled to herself. Considering the beatings from other students and their training, that was a rather terrible comparison.

The girl pulled her hood over her head, as she pushed past more people and headed towards a series of buildings. It wasn’t a particularly cold day, but it was unbearably sunny. Unbearably sunny to her, rather. Overall, it was a pretty average day for Vel Anir, but she wouldn’t know.

It was rare for her to be up during the day and even more rare for her to leave her room before the sun went down. However, today was her day off and she was curious to see what the city had in store when there were more than just guards in the street and stores sealed up for the next day.

She had planned to see a woman, a wizard who could enchant weapons to enchant something a little smaller than her dagger that she could use to make her living tattoos with…but what was the name of her shop again?

Nyxella walked past a butcher, a library, some tailors, and several taverns, but no enchanter. “Staves and Stoves…Runes and Rods…The Angry Drag-”

“You stay out, cheap bastard! You know you’re not welcome ‘round my poor girls anymore and you know that!”

Shouting outside the next establishment caught her attention. The…uhh… She squinted. The Crowing Cock? What a strange name for a business. It was even more strange when she noticed the first C was painted over with a G and a few children giggling as they rain away with a paintbrush.

Huh.

“Elias?” She looked down at the man who had been kicked out. She recognized him. He was an older boy from The Academy. “Are you okay?” She extended a hand to Elias before looking towards the irate woman, then the building’s sign, and back at the woman. She squinted, studying her outfit before turning bright red.

Oh fuck, she’s a prostitute.

Elias

• Smug
Reactions: Elias
"You stay out, cheap bastard! You know you're not welcome 'round my poor girls anymore and you know that!"

"Oh, Esme!" Frantically buckling his belt as he skipped down the stairs to the establishment, Elias dodged his boot that the brothel's matron had thrown. "Can't you just turn the other- ack!" The second boot to fly his way struck the side of his face, startling the Initiate and causing him to lose his balance and trip.

"Don't feckin' come back 'til ye've the coin for your extensive tab, M'Lord!" The proprietress spat on the ground and whirled with a hmph! to go back inside, leaving Elias on his rear in the street to gather his scattered clothing.

“Elias? Are you okay?”

Turning his head towards the voice with a cocked brow, Elias gave the girl a once-over. An Initiate. That, he immediately recognized. He'd spoken to her a handful of times but couldn't for the life of him remember her name.

"'Afternoon, short-stack," ignoring her outstretched hand, Elias rose to his feet with a grunt and began to gather his clothes, putting them back on one by one, "I'm just fucking great."

He smoothed the front of his shirt with both hands, then pointed a questioning glance at Nyxella and sighed. Flatly, he asked, "What're you doing here?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nyxella
"Um..." She let her hand flop to her side, watching Elias stand up. She handed one of the articles of clothes that landed at her feet but turned her gaze away as he dressed. "Are you sure you are? I reckon they wouldn't have thrown you out if you were." She tried to joke, laughing softly at her own stupid comments.

Looking back at him after he finished she looked at him confused and once again turning a bright red. "I was just here to..." She paused. "No. No no no no. Not here here. God no. I was just passing by on my way to find this lady to enchant something for me and-"

She stopped rambling and shot him an equally questioning stare, crossing her arms. "Wait a minute. Why are you here? And why were they all mad at you?" Her voice seeped with judgment as she waited for his explanation.

• Smug
Elias stared down at Nyxella as she entertained herself with her own joke, his features unstirred. They remained as such as she blathered along.

"Sampling the product," he immediately answered, then dismissively waved his hand, "You don't need to worry about all the minutiae, kid."

Smoothing a few loose strands of hair back, he indignantly sniffed.

"What's that about an enchanter?"

• Smug
"That's...disgusting." She took one large step away from him, wiping the hand she touched his clothes with on her dress. "Do you not worry you'll get some magically enhanced syphilis or something? I can't imagine you'd be top of your class much longer if your brain is rotting."

What's that about an enchanter?

"Oh, yes. She's supposed to be around here somewhere. Enchants blades and whatnot...like an enchanter does." She put a hand in her pocket and wrapped it around the tiny razor blade before pulling it out. The tiny thing looked quite silly and almost useless being carried around by the initiate. "I needed something smaller than my dagger for my skin. The dagger is too clunky. Hard to get straight lines with on the first try."

• Cthulhoo rage
"Managed just fine so far," Elias grumbled and flashed Nyxella a glare.

Indeed, a razor blade was rather useless when compared to what they were capable of doing with their magic. But, they were Dreadlord Initiates. Even a razor blade, in the right hands, was a deadly tool.

Well, at least in other circumstances.

"I know what enchanters do," he hissed, "I might know what you're talking about. C'mon."

He waved his hand, beckoning for her to follow, "And put that away."

Elias chose against acknowledging her other comments. He was far too used to the inanities spoken by Chasmine, and remained unphased by the thought of Nyx carving into her skin. He guided her down the busy street, past countless shops, right into an open market.

"Should try a scalpel. Would be easier to handle," he suggested

• Haha
"Yeah, yeah. I bet you only manage to because you get kicked out of the places before you even get in bed with someone." She rolled her eyes, twisting the razor around. "Do they even have beds in those places? What are they like?" She had begun to let her intrusive thoughts get the best of her but stopped herself before asking too many details.

"Hm?" She raised a brow, following along. "Listen, pal, I did the best with what I've got." She shrugged. "I don't suppose you have a scalpel on you, do you?"

• Cthuloo
"Why don't you go in one and find out," he flatly answered and wove through the crowded market.

Elias found his patience slowly waning with Nyx in tow. He couldn't name a person that was fond of scrutiny. Least of all himself.

"Why would I have a scalpel? And if I did, go find your own!"

• Haha
"I don't think they'd let in an underage girl just because she wants to have a look 'round, do you?" She laughed, but had an almost fearful look on her face. "Plus, I fear I will be traumatized by the things I see in there. That's why I asked you. You seem to be familiar with it."

She eyed up the shop names as they continued to walking. "Well why would I have one, then? Do I look like a doctor to you?" She huffed. "Even though you're quite annoying, I'd share a scalpel with you if you needed it. Then again, I suppose our morals are in different realms."

In all his years, Elias couldn't quite remember somebody pushing his buttons so efficiently and effortlessly. Well, no, that wasn't quite true. A few names did come to mind after further thought, but he stowed them away.

"Gee, thanks. That's so kind of you." Elias rolled his eyes, then he suddenly stopped in front of her and pointed at an old storefront. The sign outside was old and worn, the words barely legible as the paint was almost entirely faded.

"I know the old crone that owns this place is handy with enchantments."

• Cthuloo
"Hm?" She looked up, sensing he was being sarcastic. "It's not an insult, I'm just saying we are very different people, you know? Like night and day...but more literally I suppose." There was a thoughtfulness behind her ramblings. "Entirely literally actually."

She bumped into him as he stopped, following it up with a quiet apology. She looked over the building he pointed at. "...and you are sure someone is here?" She stepped forward to peer into a dirty window. The place looked all but abandoned. "If we get murdered, I am blaming you," she motioned for him to follow her as she pulled the heavy door open and peered inside.

An elderly woman greeted her by gripping her arm and pulling her inside. "Oh! You weren't lying! Come on!"

"I'm different from a lot of people," he said. When she bumped into him, it was like pushing against the side of a mountain. Elias didn't budge against her flyweight and watched as she stepped forward and glued herself to the window.

"Yeah, she's always here. And she won't harm a fly, so don't you fret."

Elias snorted a chuckle as Nyx was yanked inside, then jerked his head side-to-side to crack his neck. Turning on his heels, he whistled a tune as he made his way back to the Academy, where he would arrive late into the evening.

• Stressed
“You’re back late, Elias.” A cold voice was heard as he shut the door behind him. A single lantern illuminated the woman sitting in his bed as she closed a book in her lap. “A little bird told me you’d been kicked out of yet another brothel, but that was hours ago. Did you happen to find one you haven’t been banned from on the way back? Honestly, your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.” She sighed. “It is quite shocking. Really.”

She let out a short laugh, setting the book aside. “You should really be more responsible with who you associate with. I’d hate to see you get sick from one of those filthy girls. I quite enjoy the time we spend together and I’d hate to see that get cut short because you’re a fucking idiot.”

She pushed the blankets off of her, and got out wearing nothing but one of his shirts as she made her way over to him. “I’m disappointed in you. I made food for us and everything.” She traced her finger down his cheek before bending over to put one shoe on at a time. “Had you not been so incredibly late, we could have had a nice night like I'd planned. Disappointing as always.”

• Stressed
"What the fu-"

Elias' exclamation was cut short by Niamh's verbal onslaught. It was her trademark to pick him apart piece-by-piece, one word after another. As far as lambasting went, she was second to none. He clenched his hands into fists at his side and tightly set his jaw. A little bird? Cute.

Few things stoked Elias' wrath like digging through his mind. He'd made that abundantly clear to Liliana Lorel, who only needed to be told once. Niamh, however... Whether word had gotten back this quickly, or she tapped into his mind for a peek into his afternoon, he was inclined to believe the latter.

"The fuck have I told you about poking around my head? Stay. Out!" He seethed at her, "And you didn't say a damned word about coming."

Elias' countenance soured as if he'd been handed a lemon wedge to gnaw on, and as she rose from his bed, his sheets and blankets pooling into a pile at her feet, the boy took a deep, steadying breath. Not only did she see herself in unannounced, but she'd helped herself to his wardrobe. Taking in the sight of her, he couldn't voice any complaints. But images had to be maintained, especially when it came to her.

Her trailing touch down his face saw the muscles by his jaw relax, and he let out a heavy sigh. Elias reached out and trapped her wrist in a vice-grip, and he pulled her upright so as to look down into her eyes.

"Who are you," he growled at her, "To come in here while I'm out. Then talk to me like that?" His grip tightened around Niamh's wrist, his strength enough to snap bones but never coming close to actually harming her. After a moment, he relented. Let her wrist go and sighed again.

"Did you really make food?" Elias asked her quietly. A semblance of guilt lingered behind the question.

• Devil
Reactions: Niamh
The fuck have I told you about poking around my head? Stay. Out!

She would only chuckle in response as she continued getting herself ready to leave his room. He was amusing. Always so uppity about her listening into his thoughts. She couldn’t help but wonder where he was when they had the day off, especially when she wanted to see him. He should have known, though. She always came around unannounced.

“You’d think someone so smart would realize a trend by now. I always show up when you get kicked out. You’re always so much more-” She was pulled up by her arm as she spoke.

He looked angry, growling at her with his brow furrowed. In return, she only gave him a small, but rather neutral smile that didn’t match her big doe eyes. Whether he found her emotionless expressions as smug or as infuriating as the others, she didn’t know. She didn’t care enough to know.

She only cared that he was alive and available to spend time with. Unlike many of their classmates, this one didn’t shy away and show weakness when they were in bed. She didn’t have to spend any moment that some may consider intimate picking away at his brain to figure out what was going to make him so easy to take down when the time came. She could relax and enjoy herself for a little while and she almost appreciated him for it.

“I worry about you sometimes, Eli.” A complete lie left her mouth as she rubbed her wrist as though he had hurt her. Which he of course hadn’t, though she almost wished he had. If he wasn’t going to sleep with her, he could at least make her feel something. Even a broken wrist was better than this disappointment.

She nodded, silently noting the guilt he hinted towards. “I did.” She paused. “I tried. It's definitely cold now, but help yourself.” She pointed towards a table where two plates were left out with an assortment of colorful vegetables and meat with a melted down candle in the center of the table. Both plates were untouched.

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Falling quiet, Elias followed her finger to the table and pair of dishes.

"You really made that?" The question came a second time, posed gently like a summer breeze and his hard features softened for a moment. He turned to face her again, "Stay a while longer. Let's eat."

Elias pinched the cuff of Naimh's shirt sleeve, dragging her along to the small table that was barely able to fit both plates.

"Sit down," he said and extended his hand out at one plate, fingers splayed. Slivers of bright gold flecked Elias' deep blue eyes and a strong heat radiated from his hand to the dish. He was careful to limit the output. Didn't want too much heat too quickly. Would ruin the food. He did the same with the other plate.

Eli sat down across from Niamh, his legs invading her space under the small table, but couldn't meet her gaze. Instead he took the first bite of a tasteless, overcooked carrot.

• Cthulhoo rage
His sudden softness surprised her. Perhaps that was why she enjoyed being around him. He was unpredictable and spontaneous, at least mentally. Had it been someone else, she would know their plans ages in advance and accommodate properly. With him…it was like he didn’t use his brain sometimes.

Maybe that’s what got him to the top of their class.

Despite his change in demeanor, her tone remained as cold as the food she pointed at. “Do you think I’m not capable of making a meal?” She suggested she had taken offense, though she knew she didn’t know how to cook. She was just curious to know what he would say, or rather hear what he was actually thinking.

Stay a while longer. Let’s eat.

“Huh? No, I-” She was cut off, being told to sit down after he dragged her to the table. It didn’t seem she had much of a choice so she did as he said, sitting down and watching him heat up their food. Had he not seemed so strange, she may have cracked a joke about leaving the dreadlords to work in a kitchen.

Why is he being so quiet?

She expected him to say something as he joined her, but he didn’t. He wouldn’t even look at her even though she could hear the thoughts he had only minutes ago when she approached him. Had she actually done something to offend him? This was not a normal addition to their usual bickering and making up dynamic. “Everything alright?” She kept her eyes locked on him as she poked at her potatoes.

• Smug
"Hmm?" Elias quickly swallowed a bite of tough, dry pork. "Sure," he said and quickly backpedaled on the response. Answering with such indifference might upset her, he thought. And this was a rare peaceful moment between them. "It's good."

The Lordling's silence had a simple reason: they didn't bicker and squabble only when they rolled around in bed together. This instance, something Eli wouldn't have ever thought possible, was rather pleasant even if the food wasn't. It almost made him nervous. What was there to talk about with her? As far as he could remember, they'd never held a real conversation before.

"Not hungry?" He glanced up at her. The moonlight spilled through the window next to them, illuminating the ample amount of skin she showed from wearing his shirt. She was a foul-mouthed, ill-mannered woman, but hells, the sight of her was easy to behold.

"Sure?" She tilted her head, focused on his first response. Her expression remained the same. "If something is wrong you can tell me. You know that right?" The coldness in her voice was gone, replaced by the tone she would use if someone was in need. A soft voice that practically oozed comfort.

She looked down at her plate where she continued to move things around without making any progress in eating them. The silence was strange. She did her best not to pry into his brain to figure out what was going on, though. She didn't come here to fix someone else's problems, she came here to relax and enjoy herself. As long as she could keep out, it wasn't her problem.

Not hungry?

She looked up at him, not realizing she had been so hyperfixated on not listening into his thoughts that didn't realize she hadn't said a word in quite a while. "Oh...no. My appetite has been gone. I waited a while for you and it just kind of went away." She shrugged, but found herself back in his thoughts again. Her skin had a pink blush as she scrambled for words to say out loud.

"I...so...is the food okay?" She paused for a moment. "I am sorry if I surprised you." Her words sounded genuine, but she wasn't really sorry. She would definitely show up unannounced any time she like, regardless of his reaction. "How was your day?"

• Aww
"Oh...no. My appetite has been gone. I waited a while for you and it just kind of went away." She shrugged... "I...so...is the food okay?"

"Sorry," Elias quietly said in between bites, then offered a positive answer through a mouthful of food as he took the next one, "Mmh!"

Chew... chew...

"I haven't eaten all day," he said, then softly continued, "Thanks."

Elias shrugged at her. He knew better. She said a lot of things, and maybe she was sorry. He knew she would come and go as she pleased.

"Well, you know a little bit about my day already, don't you?" The verbal jab was light. Harmless. "It was, uh... fine." With a quick flick of his eyes, Eli gave Niamh a once-over, "It's getting better."

• Smug
“It’s fine.” She studied his face as he ate, setting her fork down. The faces he made while eating almost amused her. She could tell he didn’t actually like the food. The little grimace he made as he chewed…The effort it took to swallow. It was obvious, not that she blamed him. The woman had no idea how to cook a thing, so she usually opted to eat raw fruits or vegetables if left to her own devices.

She nodded, accepting his thanks with a quiet, “Mhm.” She was otherwise silent until he spoke again, responding to her question.

“Only a bit.” She interjected after his jab. “Thought you’d be back right after…but…”

It’s getting better.

She raised a brow, confusion clearly on her face as she responded. “Getting better? How so?” He didn’t actually like the food…there was no way a meal that was somehow both overcooked and undercooked had the capability to make the most temperamental man she’d ever met happy. “You don’t have to lie, you know.” She rested her hand on one of the legs that had taken up all the room under the table and smiled softly, shutting her eyes. "I know you don't like it."

In all fairness, Elias had fully intended on returning to the Academy without dallying until he'd run into Nyxella. Alas, Niamh was stuck waiting for him all evening.

"Are you seriously in my head again? Right now?" Elias' tone inflected with annoyance, then he sighed, and continued on flatly, "You took the time to make it. I'm going to finish it."

It fell quiet for a while, save for Elias' fork scraping the plate with each bite.

"You look nice, is what I was trying to say."

• Aww
Niamh laughed quietly, shaking her head. "No, Eli. I'm not." She admitted, reaching across the table to trace her finger along his jaw. "You have a very expressive face. Do you know that? I don't have to poke around to figure out if you like something when you wear it so plainly."

She let her hand fall, watching him as he finished the food. This time with an amused look on her face as she wondered why he continued. The could have always wandered about to find something that was actually edible, but no. He chose to eat her creation.

"You think so?" She stood up so he could admire her, giving him a mischievous smile. "Sorry for taking your shirt, but you have to admit it looks much better on me."

Last edited:
  • Smug
"Expressive, huh? That's not what I usually hear about my face."

He watched Niamh stand, finishing the last few small bites as she showed herself off to him. He was a big lad who had always been able to eat a lot, and quickly at that. Even if the food had considerable room for improvement, he was true to his word and finished it to the last bite.

"Yeah. I think so," Elias said, his eyes glued to her. The shirt fit loosely over the curves and contours of her body. Elias sat back in his chair and set his fork down on the plate with a quiet clatter. He wore a small smile

"Take it off," the Lordling demanded.

• Smug
His question would only be met with a short laugh and nodding from the girl. She was curious to know what others thought of his face, but wouldn't ask him. He would probably lie to her to sound better than he was, which she didn't necessarily mind. He could tell her if he wanted, but she would rather pick the brains of other people to know the truth. Certainly no one would think of him as non-expressive. He was easier to read than the books they were given to study from.

"Good. I think so, too." She bit her lip as she grinned.

Take it off.

"Oh, demanding are we?" She stepped towards him, unbuttoning the top three buttons on the shirt she wore before stopping and bringing her face close to his. "And what have you done to deserve seeing me with nothing on today, Elias Sirl?"

Last edited:
  • Dab