Private Tales Down With Civilization!

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Fauna

Wild Avatar
Character Biography
Link
The Ixchel Wilds had awoken something in Fauna. While their ties were most directly to the Falwood, they were born of every living being, and maintained a connection even now. The creatures here held a certain… ferocity.

Life here was quick, blink and you would miss it. Trees grew to towering heights that in the rest of world would have taken centuries to reach, but here only decades were needed. When the titans fell they dissolved near-instantaneously as the fungus, insects, and worms fought to scavenge their resources.

The avatar had spent nearly a week in these jungles, and they had felt the feral instincts grow stronger by the day. They thought less of lofty ideal and more of meat, shadow, and territory. It mingled with their current mission: to push back the advances of the civilized peoples and stop their assault on the natural world.

So when they saw a man in the wilds their first instinct was one of hostility. So deeply had they absorbed the hostility of this place that they did not think to wonder why his clothing was of the leaves and trees, nor why his brow sprouted antlers of wood.

The jaguar leapt from the trees before them. |What is your business here, man?| Came a voice that would erupt from within their own minds. |Return to your cities. There is nothing for you here.|

Volos the Verdant

• Cheer
Reactions: Volos the Verdant
Volos had spent many years in these untamed lands, tending its groves and contemplating nature. It was here that he first heard the voice of the world, of Arethil herself. It was here that he came to understand the nature of the world and how the wilds were slowly dying...how all life on the planet would be extinguished if things did not change.

Yet, for all the urgency of his arduous burden, sometimes a meditative walk through the heart of Ixchel was what Volos needed to center himself. He found the time to do so, now and again, to commune with nature as he once had on his first pilgrimage. This land was raw, pure, and primal. It was also very dangerous.

Time and time again, Volos had nearly lost life and limb to the predators which lurked these sodden lands. The archdruid was hardly surprised when one such beast leapt out at him; indeed, he was fully prepared to commit himself to mother nature's cycle of life and death, or to simply use his druidic magic to calm the beast and find it new prey. Far more surprising was the sound of a new voice invading his mind, neither his own nor the familiar song of Mother Arethil.

"Spirit, forgive my trespass. I tend these lands." Reverence marked his tones as piercing blue eyes examined the creature before him. Surely this was a guardian spirit of some sort, a kindred soul. "I have long since shirked the repugnance of the cities. Their destructive ways make Arethil bleed and weep, and I have spurned them."

The dwarf knelt, but showed no fear. No predator would show him respect if he cowered in its face. His grip upon the gnarled wood of his stave was relaxed, his expression stoic.
"I am but a humble servant of our Mother Arethil."

• Sip
Reactions: Fauna
His words were not what Fauna had expected to hear. They had spent so long within the trance of this wild place that they had to take moment to comprehend what they had just heard. As their mind calmed they finally took note the the man’s appearance. He was short and stocky, and he looked as much a part of the trees as Fauna was of the animals.

Their posture relaxed, the fur on the back of their neck sitting back down. This dwarf showed no fear at the jaguar’s arrival, but neither did he show hostility. Indeed, his voice was soothing and spoke thoughts very close to Fauna’s own heart.

They stepped close on giant silent paws. Yellow eyes looked into the glowing blue mana of Volos. The beast’s face did not move, but the voice spoke again.

|Yes. You see their folly.| It was more a statement than questioning as Fauna worked through their own judgements on this strange new acquaintance. They walked close and gave his face a few deep sniffs. They stood nose to nose, the jaguar’s hot, wet breath coming in slow waves.

|The forest has claimed you. Explain.|

• Popcorn
T'was an odd thing, to see this beast so near but to hear its voice ring out in his head as though it was his own thoughts. The creature came closer, close enough to sink its fangs into him if it so desired, but Volos was unshaken.
"I do. They have wreaked havoc upon the world unchecked for far too long."
Merely speaking of the damage civilization had caused was enough to fill the druid with righteous indignation, but he kept his calm, just as the jaguar did.

"Not just the forest, noble spirit. Mother Arethil herself speaks to me, speaks through me. I have given myself to her, heart, mind, and soul." Mana pulsed gently through the hornlike growths atop his brows, a determined look shooting back at Fauna. He was Arethil's voice, of this he was sure.

Of course, there were some nature spirits that sought harmony with all life, to the detriment of their mother. This one seemed far from agreeing with that sentiment, but Volos wished to know its intentions all the same.
"What of you, noble spirit? What is your true nature?"

• Cheer
Fauna had never held much in the way of "emotion," as would be described by a human. They had feelings, of course, but they were removed. Their existence was as looking through a window: deeply connected to the natural world around them but apart from it, existing spiritually as a representation of the material. In general, when not aloof, they were most accustomed to the feelings and thoughts of the animals.

Despite this, it seemed a universal truth that spirits, faeries, and deities enjoyed talking about themselves. Maybe it was because Fauna spoke to precious few people who would understand, but whatever the reason, they felt a certain pride in the way Volos addressed them. And so, they introduced themselves as they had to so many travelers before.

|I am Fauna. I am of the Forest.| It was simple, and it was true, but Volos had earned a more detailed explanation. |I am the beasts of the land, water, and air. They shine through me, and I exist through them.|

Perhaps a demonstration. Being so close, Volos would feel a sharp burst of wind, and the jaguar would blur in front of him. If his mana-forged eyes could pierce this veil they would see the cat twist and reshape itself, and in but a few instants it would be gone, replaced by a mighty stag standing tall. The elk's antlers were long and fierce, and its body was thickly muscled atop sturdy hooves.

|The forests retreat. I feel this. It is not Natural. The balance must be restored.| The stag turned its great head, regarding the dwarf with a single dark eye. |What does Arethil say to you, Champion?|

• Popcorn
Volos looked on in awe of the majestic creature in front of him as it explained its purpose. His eyes grew even wider when, through the twisting tempest of magic before him, Fauna shifted from one form to another. Before he knew it a majestic elk, larger than any he'd seen before, stood in front of him. The beast certainly wasn't modest, but it had clearly earned the right not to be.

"By Mother Arethil...an incarnate...truly I am blessed by her to have such an encounter." The dwarf blinked, realizing that he had not yet introduced himself to the spirit. It was a slight he was glad it apparently hadn't noticed. "I am Volos of the Primordial Path, noble creature. I am humbled to stand before you."

|What does Arethil say to you, Champion?|

Volos' mood shifted almost visibly. He stood from his kneeling position and balled his fists. He closed his eyes and listened to the whispers of the world, leaves swirling about as the winds gathered round him.
"You are right. The cities of the world have destroyed the balance of nature. Our Mother tells me of her pain, of her suffering. She tells me of how the people of civilization of burned and cut down her forests, ripped her open to strip her innards, and poisoned her waters with their waste." Blazing azure eyes opened once more, landing sharply on the stag. Determination burned within them, fierce as a hurricane.
"Arethil tells me to annihilate them, Incarnate of Beasts. Annihilate them all."

• Dwarf
The stag met Volos’ gaze as his fervor grew. The blue of his eyes and horns seemed to intensify, but perhaps this was a trick of the light. When he closed his eyes, Fauna felt something. The winds and leaves were a subtle queue, but a spirit such as Fauna, one born of the world itself, a much more obvious scene unfolded.

Invisibly, it was as though the world had folded itself, bent to accomodate... something around Volos. Being tied purely to the animal realm Fauna could not appreciate it fully, but it was clear that Volos was no liar. At the very least, he bore an extremely strong connection to the tapestry of life.

His words further fueled the fire that had been kindled by the wilds. It fanned the righteous anger that had been simmering in Fauna’s being for some time. It had started as mere curiosity, concern that perhaps one species had stepped too far. In their travels, it had grown to resentment, and was edging dangerously close to contempt.

A complication, however, with Volos’ final words. Fauna was tied to all the animals of Arethil. All the animals. Humans, elves, dwarves... were animals. With their destruction Fauna’s power would surely wane by some degree... how much was impossible to say.

There was a certain word that held a bitter taste in Fauna’s mouth. Though it was a natural phenomenon and must be respected, the concept disquieted them. They took a moment to mull it over, turning from the dwarf and taking a few graceful steps in the opposite direction, their long ears swiveling to hear the life around them.

|Extinction, then.|

The thought that was transposed into Volos’ mind was heavy, heavier than any words before. It was perhaps the most common outcome for life in this world, and it was needed to maintain progress. Like all things, however, it must be controlled, it must be balanced. Would eradication upset this balance, or would it allow the survivors to flourish? Perhaps a consult with Arethil itself, if this man could indeed serve as a conduit.

|Is this necessary? Could they not simply be culled?|

• Popcorn
The Archdruid shook his head. Perhaps his choice of words had been a bit unclear. The last thing Volos wanted was to wipe out life in any way, shape, or form; far from it, he saw himself as a protector of life's sanctity.
"You misunderstand, noble spirit. Not extinction, just destruction."

Volos held his hand out as he spoke and a beetle landed upon it. He regarded it for a moment and smiled beneath his beard before carefully walking to a nearby tree to deposit it safely. The beetle crawled off the tip of his finger and continued on its way, unfazed. Volos returned his attention to the spirit before him.

"The cities, civilization as it is now, must be annihilated. If it is not, then ALL life on Arethil will die. Balance must be restored." The dwarf jabbed his stave into the ground for emphasis, then stroked his beard. "Surely you, of all creatures, must understand this."

• Cthuloo
The elk turned back. |I see. Topple the structures, destroy the habitat... let the population rebalance.| It was an acceptable tactic, and one that did not venture far from their own conclusions on what would need to be done.

So far Fauna had done their best to deter small groups with precise attacks on logging operations or markets that overfished... but their impact had been small. Ancient as they were, they were but one being. The civilized were legion, and change would only be seen with large-scale intervention.

They returned to Volos and inclined their head towards him, his mention of balance. |I understand this above all.| Fauna was bound to every living animal in existence, as if at the center of a massive spider's web. The threads were invisibly thin, but they stretched to all corners of the world.

But... it was not a perfect metaphor. For Fauna did not exist at the center of this web. Fauna was the web. If one could see the gossamer filaments they would twist and coalesce as they grew closer to the center, until finally they formed the shape of a tiger, or a bird, or a man. This was the truth of Fauna's existence, this was the source of their power, and their greatest weakness. For as the animals died their threads were severed, replaced only by the birth of new creatures. As of late, the threads had been fraying more quickly than they were woven.

The balance must be restored. The balance was everything.

|Where do we begin?|

• Popcorn
Volos nodded his silent agreement. "And slay those who would try to stop us. From the ashes we will create a new form of civilization, one that exists in harmony with nature and nourishes Arethil."

The dwarf could see the understanding form in Fauna's eyes. For a moment he thought he could see something even deeper, as though pulled into the bottomless pools of the elk's pupils. He saw the cycle, the endless chain of predators and prey as they served their purpose in this world. Fauna truly was the Incarnate of Beasts, that much was clear.

Volos blinked, bringing himself back to reality. For now, at least, the spirit's ideals and goals aligned with that of the Primordial Path. Such a creature would surely prove an invaluable ally.

|Where do we begin?|

The archdruid's glare returned. His druids had been relentlessly scouting the outer edges of the Wilds, searching for signs of civilization's intrusion. One such location stuck out like a fox among hens.
"The blight orcs of Molthal have been encroaching on the Ixchel Wilds. They have established a fortress to the north near the Drawa River. It is called Ur Azzan in their tongue." He explained, stroking his beard. "Bringing it to ruin will send a message to the northerners...the Wilds will reclaim what they have taken."

The dwarf pulled an insect from his well-kept facial hair and lowered it to the ground to crawl away.
"To that end, I have gathered a great many who share my ideals into a new druidic circle...the Primordial Path. They stand ready to lash out at those who would damage Mother Arethil. You and I will not be alone."

• Cthuloo
The druid's plight was just, and Fauna agreed with his goals. Something about Ixchel had eroded their caution, and they no longer wanted to observe and learn. They wanted to act, to pounce. It would be a just war, a good act of rebalancing. Whatever destruction they wrought would be repaired, and it would be but a fleeting wound in comparison to the catastrophe that awaited if they did nothing.

Volos spoke of the orcs, and Fauna searched their feelings for the creatures. They had never seen one in the flesh, but they could feel the gentle tug of the threads in their direction. They were of the "civilized," but they still clung to the wilds. A bridge of sorts, between the tame and the untamed.

"You and I will not be alone."

|Good, we will need many.|

The elk now stood directly before Volos, and it bent its legs and knelt before him. The head lowered, moving tall and sharp antler out of the way. They gesture was clear, they invited Volos to mount.

|Would you take me to them?| The spirit asked. |Or shall we first erase Ur Azzan as example?|

• Cheer