Private Tales Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I prefer to eat with you so please cook both." She would have to shift in order to eat the rabbit raw and she was trying to make him like her. Giant wolf dog eating raw rabbit was not sexy. Well...maybe to another Shuck. She chuckled softly at the thought.

She watched him prepare the rabbit with herbs and she was actually pretty excited for it. She loved rabbit and she was really excited to spend more time with him.

"Can you teach me how to cook over a fire?" She felt so silly asking him that. So fucking silly. She was an adult and couldn't cook over a fire. She had never felt this useless.

• Smug
Reactions: Raphael
"Of course, though... there isn't much to it. I wish I could say there was more," he chuckled and wiped an itch against his cheek with his shoulder as he picked up the second carcass and begun to rub herbs into its skin. "You start with the seasoning like this... that's paprika and cloves, some black pepper and that odd root is ginger," he talked through it as he worked, his eyes on the rabbit. "I like to rub it over the skin and then I stuff some bits inside too. If I take a bag I try and remember to bring butter with me - everything tastes better when cooked with butter."

With both rabbits prepared he then fetched a stick and skewered them neatly.

"You want something that's not too thick but not thin either. Wet wood is better because it's less likely to burn too," he then put them over the flames. "Then that's pretty much it, you just need to turn it every so often," once he was done he walked to the water to wash his hands.

Samara watched Raphael quietly as he prepared the rabbits to cook. She nodded as he listed the ingredients and then whole heartily agreed with the butter statement. Everything was better with butter. Anyone who said otherwise was wrong.

After he had skewered them and put them over the flame, she sat down on the side of the fire where the grass ended. It was slightly less sandy here. Raphael washed his hands and she hoped he would come sit next to her.

"How do you know when they're done?" She assumed one just knew from looking at them but she could be entirely mistaken there. She really needed to cook more. She enjoyed it, but she really didn't have a lot of time and it was the first extra thing she dropped doing since she could eat things raw. Quicker and easier.

"Hey, super random questions cause why not." In truth, she wanted to know the man and this was one way to do it. Fun, strange questions...right? Sure. "What is your worst habit? And your best one to even it out!"

• Popcorn
"You can cut a bit of the meat, if the inside is raw then you know it needs to keep going. The key is not to build up the fire too much so the skin burns but the inside is raw," Raphael quietly crossed his legs and then sat next to Samara on the grassy verge. His eyes drifted over the scene of the waterfall before them with an appreciative calmness. It was certainly nice to get away from the city and its responsibilities. He would have been quite content to just sit in silence and relax in the atmosphere the scene provided but a wry smile tugged at the corner of his lips when Samara lasted all of a minute before asking her question.

"I suppose that depends who you ask," he mused slowly and cast her a sideways glance. "My brothers would say my ability to be silent for longer than a minute was one of my worst," of course he knew they meant it was him shutting himself off and not talking about things on his mind, but... "As for best," he shrugged. "I cannot claim to be wholly good but I just do my best to be decent."

"I think you are better than decent, Raphael. You do not give yourself enough credit." Samara didn't say anything else though. Instead, she laid back onto the grass and closed her eyes.

She breathed in deeply and smiled. The crackling of the fire, the smell of the cooking rabbit and herbs, the peacefulness...it was so perfect. She brought her arms up and placed them under her head as a makeshift pillow.

She was still silent though. She would let Raphael have him silence for a little bit. He had put up with her pestering like a champion today and she just wanted him to be happy. She thought about their kiss and it made her smile even more as she looked over at her companion again.

Samara fought every urge to reach out and stroke his wings. It was a little difficult though.

• Popcorn
There was the sound of shuffling on sand and then Raphael laid down next to her on his side so he could watch her as she took in their surroundings. He knew silence wasn't for everyone but it meant he could enjoy things like watching the way the light caught her eyes. He smiled faintly to himself when she turned to glance at him and then his wing.

"You can touch them if you like," he shifted one wing so it curled over her like a leathery canopy. The membrane between fingers was thin enough that the light of the sun shone through it and turned them a more vibrant shade of red. "They're quite sensitive though so just be gentle."

Samara's smile grew as Raphael told her she could touch his wing and moved it over her. She was mesmerized by the sun shining through the membrane. They were really beautiful.

She took one of her arms from behind her head and slowly reached up. Her touch was gentle and tentative as she stroked a finger down his wing. She had never felt anything like it before and it fascinated her.

"They're beautiful, Raphael." Samara touched them for another second before pulling her hand back and resting it on her stomach. "Thank you," her voice was soft. Had she been that obvious with wanting to touch them? Perhaps she had been. Perhaps he could just read her. Either way, she didn't mind.

"I can see how this silence thing can be appealing," Samara teased before closing her eyes again and sighing happily.

• Smug
Raphael had to supressed a shudder as her fingers grazed along the sensitive skin. He could never explain the feeling to someone without them but it was almost as sensitive as a stroke along the inner thigh. Probably more. He watched her through half lidded eyes as she inspected them and for a brief moment he actually felt a little pride about his appearance. It was such an usual thing it caught him completely off guard but he thought if he didn't mind someone taking pleasure in his looks, it would be Samara.

"You're most welcome," and then, after a small hesitation, he lowered the wing over her like a blanket. He chuckled soon after though at her comment about the silence. "Yes, it's very appealing. It allows you to think," he said quietly and closed his eyes, using his folded arm as a pillow of sorts.

"I suppose it is always quite noisy with the Slaugh?"

Samara felt a strange comfort when he lowered his wing. It was like he was holding her and keeping her safe. She absently stroked the back side of his wing not knowing how sensitive it was.

"Yes, there are the broody boys - Jago, Baen, Vaer - but for the most part everyone is loud. It's impossible to think sometimes. I usually don't mind it because I can go home and I have quiet there. It's just strange to be quiet around someone."

Samara chuckled lightly. She had never thought of herself as a talker but apparently she was. Strange how different company affects someone.

• Bless
"Mm..." Raphael's eyes had drifted shut as she spoke. Her soothing voice, the sound of the falls, and the winter sun hitting them in just the right spot where they lay were sounds that wanted to tug him to sleep. It was a sleep he didn't want for he might miss something of this moment and that he would never forgive himself for. So he settled for simply resting his eyes as she spoke and the chuckle at admitting how strange it was to be quiet.

"I am actually quite chatty when I am with Lorc and Sid - even Maeve now," he thought in mild amusement. "And I think I've said more words to you today than I've spoke out loud since that party nearly a month ago."

"So it is only me that you make work for your conversation," Samara teased and turned to her side so they were now facing each other. She thought back to the party he was referring to and how she had to practically drag every single syllable out of him. He was much better today even if it had still been painfully awkward at the beginning of the hike. The running, the waterfall, and the kiss seemed to have loosened him up some.

"I think you are just out to drive me insane, Raphael. Slowly and surely insane," she chuckled and pushed some of her long hair behind her shoulder. It kept falling in her face in the most annoying way. "Not that I was ever really sane to begin with..." She lapsed back into silence as she watched him with a smile.

She wanted to kiss him again...she wanted to do more than kiss him...but she decided to keep her hands to herself for now.

• Smug
Raphael's deep baritone laugh rumbled from deep within his chest and seemed to echo through the wing draped over Samara's body and he opened his eyes just a crack to peer at her.

"Not many sane people walk up to the inquisitor of the Erlking and promptly demand attention," he teased, both eyebrows climbing into his wet hairline. "So I would definitely agree with your theory," with a yawn and a stretch he suddenly rolled to his feet and padded over to check on the rabbits. Smaller animals didn't take as long to cook and it was wise to keep an eye on them. Slowly, he cut into their flesh then turned them upside down before rejoining her in the sand looking more awake.

"Fine... if you want conversation, hmm.." he pondered what question to ask her with a thoughtful frown. "Why did you join the Slaugh?"

"Maybe I don't want to talk anymore," Samara huffed in jest. She knew he would be alright with that prospect and she would not allow him that pleasure after calling her insane. Sure, she had said it first but still.

She thought about his question with her own frown. She just had. There hadn't been another option...right...

“I..." She paused, still trying to find the right words. "I just always wanted to. Maybe because of what I am? I don't know. It was the only thing I ever wanted to do though." Samara quietly picked at a blade of grass while she thought over her life decisions for the first time.

"My mother was less than pleased. We haven't talked since I joined..." Bad memories of their fight crept up in her mind and she shook her head. These type of thoughts always reminded her that she was alone in the world. She had a few friends but not many.

"Sorry, I...I just don't like thinking of mother..." Despite her cheeriness, she was just as broken as everyone else in this place. She did love her job, but it came at a cost.

• Stressed
Raphael wondered what it was like to have that feeling for your whole life growing up that you wanted to do something. Even before his powers had manifested and he had been able to see and manipulate fear itself and the the decision had been taken away from him, he had never know what he had wanted to do. Aside from be with his friends. Survive. They were two poor and rather pathetic dreams really. It was such a contrast to hear, therefore, that Samara had not only dreamed of this job but had gotten it. No wonder she loved it so.

His joy in her joy was cut short however, when she seemed to sadden and a frown touched his brows.

"I'm sorry Samara, I didn't mean to darken the mood," he reached out to gently smooth a lock of hair behind a pointed ear. "I never knew my mother, but Lorcan's mother wanted us all to be ballet dancers," he said in the hopes such a silly image would make her laugh. "She had us dress up in tutus and pointe shoes and everything."

Samara did laugh. The image of Raphael with his beautiful wings and darkness in a tutu - that she decided was pink - and pointe shoes made her laugh so hard that she coughed. Oh it was the most amazing image she had ever imagined and there was no way that she could ever unsee it.

"I am not going to have to draw that, Raphael. I will draw it and then I will find someway to get a copy to Lorcan because he needs to see that as well." Samara was still giggling even as she tried to calm herself down.

"I have never been much of a ballet fan, but I do believe if you, Sid, and Lorcan were putting on a performance, I would attend." She winked at him.

"What did you want to do when you grew up?" She had no doubts that inquisitor was not his number one job choice.

• Stressed
He could already see the look of glee in his friends eye if that picture ever did fall into his lap and Raphael gulped.

"Please, no..." he put on what he hoped was his best begging expression but had to laugh at himself in the end. When she asked her next question though the laughter faded and he sighed, rolling onto his back to look up at the sky. How many nights had he looked up at a similar image through the bars of his cell, confined to be grounded and not allowed to fly? It made his wings ache with the memory at times.

"I never had any dreams about what I wanted to be other than free. The Puca are not a kind people and my tribe one of the worst. I just wanted out."

"I cannot lie so I will not promise that it won't happen." The gleam in her eye was one of pure mischief and humor.

Her humor faded as he spoke though. They were really terrible at finding safe topics apparently. She rolled over so she was laying right next to him on her stomach and propped herself up on her elbows with her chin resting in her hands.

"Okay, we are now banned from serious topics since we fail at not making eachother sad." Samara looked at him with a smile that meant she was now up to no good.

"If you could do anything, besides be a ballet dancer, what would it be?" She winked at him and gave him her more innocent look.

• Thoughtful
Raphael chuckled when she declared there would be no more discussions on sad topics. That seemed like a hard declaration to say and stick to, especially given the court they both worked for.

"If I could be anything..." he mused, deciding to at least try and help her declaration along by not dwelling on dark thoughts that might stoke the shadows within him. And the question was a good one in terms of distracting. He hadn't ever really thought about what he could be in life. He'd always just assumed that he was going to be doing this till the day he died. Samara made him realise that didn't mean he couldn't at least dream.

"I... think I would like to be a gardener... or maybe a carpenter. Something outside," where he wouldn't ever be shut away from the sun again. "I always envied the fae who are custodians of the jungle."

"I like being outside too. I feel like that is where I spend the majority of my time." She smiled at him. She liked that he was humoring her at least. She appreciated it. He needed to loosen up some. Well...a lot. "Not that you can tell because I stay so pale. It is a curse to never have tanned skin," Samara's voice was playful. She really didn't mind her inability to tan. It was a Shuck thing.

"I think that if I were to be anything else in the world, I would absolutely be a ballet dancer." She laughed out loud and gently nudged into him with her arm and body. She was going to forever give him a hard time about what a beautiful dancer he would have been.

"No, I think I would be an artist. I would travel around the world and create art at every destination. It would be lovely. Two things I love," besides killing. She did not add the last part.

• Thoughtful
"Your sketches were very good," Raphael nodded slowly. He could definitely see the lifestyle of travelling appealing to someone with so much energy. For the puca, however, it was a nightmare. He was looking forward to the day he had his own home. How could two people who were so different enjoy one another's company so much? Well, he knew why he enjoyed Samara's. She was like the sun. Her warmth, her energy. He just felt better by being in her presence. But what did she get from being near him?

The puca rolled to his feet to attend to the food.

"It looks like it's ready," he announced, taking both carcasses off the fire and carrying them over. He handed her one whole spit and kept the other for himself. "Maybe you can do that when you retire from the Slaugh," he offered helpfully.

Samara sat up as Raphael got up to check the food. It was done, which was excellent since she was ravenous. He handed her one of the spits before he sat back down next to her. She held it while she waited for it to cool some. She wanted sn't a fan of having a burnt tongue.

"Maybe," she shrugged at his suggestion. Retirement wasn't something that had ever crossed her mind. She wasn't that old and she liked her job so why think about such things.

"I think I need to actually take advantage of downtime and go places but I am usually so tired that I end up curling in front of a fire and reading." That made her sound like an old lady. She chuckled at the thought.

"Maybe I will kidnap you and force you to come relax me more. That would make me happy." Samara smiled at him and gingerly picked at a piece of meat. Still too hot.

• Popcorn
Raphael paused before biting and chuckled when she announced her plans of kidnapping.

"I don't think you're meant to warn the person you're kidnapping," he teased and then very carefully took a bite. It was hot but he was hungry enough not to care and it didn't scold his tongue so he continued with the slow, methodical nibbles. He paused to finish what was already in his mouth and to chew over the deeper sentiment to her words before responding with a much sweeter.

"It would make me... happy too," a dangerous thing but he found himself caring less and less as the day trawled on. "Where would we go first?"

• Smug
Reactions: Eleanor
Samara took a bite of the rabbit and let out an appreciative mmmm. It was perfectly cooked and the seasoning was spot on. Perhaps she would do the kidnapping and he could do the cooking. That seemed like a fair trade.

She felt a warmth in her chest when he said that her kidnapping him would make him happy. She smiled widely at him before taking another bite. Where would she take them first? There were so many decisions.

"I think somewhere with a beach would be fun. We both clearly enjoy the water and laying in the sun. Although, I'd be happy to just come here again too. I've always wanted to see the snow, but" she trailed off and took another bite.

Once she had finished chewing it, she continued. "I don't think I would like the cold very much. I don't know though. Where would you want to go...if I allowed you a choice in your kidnapping that is." She chuckled.

• Popcorn
"Hmm..." Raphael thought it over whilst he chewed on his food. There wasn't many places he hadn't been and all of those he had been to just didn't hold much interest to him anymore. When you visited to uncover the dark and seedy secrets that lay beneath all the glamour and triviality of a new place wore off pretty quickly. But he still owed Samara more than a simple 'I don't like travelling'.

"I think... I would like to visit more mortal realms," yes, he hadn't been to many of those. "They seem... simpler," not in the bad sense of the word but without the theatrics of the fae which he found tiresome. Given the nature of the Wilds there were not many of them nearby either so it would be quite the adventure.

Samara raised a brow at Raphael. She had been to the mortal realms quite a few times for work. She had never been for pleasure purposes though. Her trips were of the in and out variety. Glamours or passing as an elf were her friends in the mortal realms.

She took another bite and chewed thoughtfully. She pulled one of the tiny spine bones out of her mouth and flicked it to the side. Another perk of eating her meat raw...the bones didn't irritate her.

"Alright, sooooo if I allowed you to have a choice in your kidnapping destination..." She winked at him with a smirk and a wave of her skewer for emphasis. "I would take you to a mortal beach. We would have lots of fun with all the sun and none of the fae bullshit." She actually thought that sounded like an amazing idea.

• Thoughtful