Fable - Ask Dawn of a new Coven

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Asuego 'Susanna'

Cutter-Witch of the Laggend bog
Character Biography
Link
It was a pleasant little wood. The trees were tall and surrounded by protective hillsides, some so steep one could not safely traverse them. Water was also not much far from it. With a petite stream of water running a good measure away from the clearing.

The dark wood, the hell's chasm they called it. But for a witch that wanted privacy, this might just have been the location to choose. Only a single town lay nearby by the name of Grimerion. Walled with wood, of course. Some people liked it there.
But within these Jagged hills, there likely wouldn't be a better place.

Asuego was among the first to come to this sacred little grove. Today, she will see her sisters for the first time. She and possibly others likely longed for others to do communal spells with, and with this meeting, things will likely change for the better.

Last edited:
Selina was at her wits end.
She had been plagued by the same vision night after night consistently for over a year now. She's tried distracting herself with her spellwork but that's only a temporary measure, sometimes she's even gone without sleep just to avoid the dreams.
But that stopped working when she started seeing the vision even while she was awake!
By this point she was about half insane by the monotonous regularity of the same vision over and over.

She couldn't continue her studies back at the college, the visions proved far too distracting and the words of the hag she met haunted her as well, "The college doesn't hold all of the answers."
So that has brought her home, to Alliria, back to her village and her parents and siblings. To her delight being home actually worked for a while, her first few nights of exhausted sleep were free of the visions, but then they started up again with even greater fury.

Finally she was forced to go into the forest, following the frequency of her visions, she would walk and the vision would either flash faster or slower. Wherever it flashed quickly is the direction she went.

Now deep in the Allirian Reach, having traveled several days through the wilderness, she was ready to collapse. Her blue eyes were bloodshot, her hair a mess, her clothes dirty, she needed a bath and DESPERATELY needed to sleep!
She was stumbling through the woods like a drunk, tripping over practically everything in her path and her vision blinding her every few seconds to let her know she is going the right way.

Finally she tripped over one last log and found herself falling down a steep hill, she hit rocks and trees on the way down, battering her already spent body till she hit the bottom, rolling to a stop. She painfully opened her eyes and saw her spellbook laying in the grass near a grassy clearing. Before the shadows claimed her mind she saw a flash of white hair... Then everything went black as the vision played one final time, in full, in her mind.

A hooded and robed figure knelt beside a basket of herbs, an ornate staff was in the figures hand. As Selina watched the figure stood up and turned to face her. A young woman with black hair, blue eyes, pale skin. Possibly in her late twenties. She was dressed in black robes and had several trinkets on her belt that may have to do with alchemy or be enchanted in some way, but the thing that stood out to her was the sight of her own spell book, held by a sheath on the woman's belt, older and more worn, but she recognized the red leather cover.
What Selina had at first assumed to be a black scarf looked up at her with its green eyes, revealing itself to be a cat.

"Who are you?" She called out, her voice sounded much louder in these woods.
The woman simply smiled at her and proceeded to walk past her.
Selina followed the woman in her vision. She was led through the forest, it seemed to be profusely overgrown with vines and other lichens. Flowers, herbs, and mosses covered the ground but neither of them left a trail. They walked till they found a clearing in the center of the forest, in the center of the clearing was a stone slab with ritual runes on it. As the woman in black robes reached it her staff tapped with a loud echo on the stone, the runes glowed blue as light radiated up from the outside edges of the slab.

Selina watched in awe. She didn't know what it was exactly, but she could determine that it was some form of powerful ritual magic that had just been activated. The woman dropped several ingredients from a pouch into the center of the circle, where they were consumed by the spell. Sensing the magic growing to dangerous heights Selina tried again to speak with the woman, "What are you doing? Stop! the magic is getting too powerful to contain!"

The woman did not respond, but as the ritual was completed Selina could see shapes being formed by the light. Five figures appeared on the slab, their faces were aged and haggard, their spectral clothing were great flowing cloaks and robes and large pointed hats. Wisps of their spectral beards floated about their faces like they were in a great wind. They each held a large staff in one hand and thick book in the other.

The woman unsheathed her spellbook... their spellbook. And she held it over the center of the slab. The other spectral wizards did the same and they all opened their books simultaneously. Selina could see that the book the woman held was indeed hers as well, but it was so much more full, it had spells and notations that Selina didn't even recognize, script far more complex then she ever imagined possible. She watched in awe as they all dropped their books at the same time on the runed stone slab, their impact created a boom that was like a star striking the earth.

Then all the spectral faces, excluding the black robed woman, turned and looked directly at her.

The vision ended.

Medea weaved through the dense wood, caressing the towering trees that blocked nearly all sunlight from streaming in. It was a calm place, the insufferable droning murmuring of civilization replaced by the sounds of life that trailed from every nook and cranny. In a word, it was beautiful. She could hear the whisperings of the grove at the edge of her mind, quiet and peaceful as they spoke.

A buzzing rung by her ear, the source immediately revealing itself to be a hummingbird. On closer inspection, however, one would find moss gathering upon its wings. Within its eye, a flower bloomed, pale white petals extending outward undisturbed. The hummingbird zipped around the witch, a song leaving its beak as it quickly flew forward.

Medea grew a slight smile as she nodded, following the bird. It seems like the sproutling had found the witches she was looking for. After all, that was why she was summoned here: the formation of a coven. She had been sending letters to one of the sisters, Asuego, for some time already. However, two witches can only do so much without more witches to help.

She stepped down a steep hill, her brow furrowing in confusion as she looked upon a battered body at the bottom. She stepped closer, leaning down to inspect the woman. Her clothing was raggedy, her hair rough and bags hanging heavy under her eyes. Curious, she appeared to be experiencing some form of vision, one that led her here.

Medea held out a hand for the woman to stand as the vision ended, looking her over curiously. Wordlessly, she put a hand into her bag, pulling out a small pile of herbs. She crushed them, creating a fine powder in her grasp that she smeared over the mage's forehead. Immediately, a surge of energy would flow into the tired woman.

Looking between her and Asuego, who she could now see among the grove. "Greetings, sisters. I am glad to see you at long last, Asuego."

A rumble in the woods did not escape the witch. Aristotle hooted loudly to alert her further, this disturbance was probably serious for the Great Horned Owl rarely made a fuss.

Asuego was of notoriously awful sight, but at least the shade lessened the blindness upon her. Between the blueberries, she could partially make out some kind of cloak and pinkish skin. A Person?
She began to creep closer, if only to see the background only move.
A little bit closer and the planty mass was by the downed lass.

The appearance possibly couldn't be mistake for any other.
»Medea, this must be you then, I am glad you could some in such a timely manner. Do you know this person?«

Selina opened her eyes to see a long slender hand... And when she looked up she saw an elf attached to it, or at least what she thought could be an elf, she seemed to be a joining of plant and humanoid but didn't look like any dryad Selina had ever seen. Granted she had only ever seen one, the resident of the college in one of the great trees planted in the courtyard.

She was hesitant to accept the offered hand, but when she tried to rise by herself she found her strength lacking. So she reached up and tentatively took her hand and slowly and shakily stood up. She looked at the two witches who seemed to know each other, but she was a bit caught off guard to hear that the elf used the plural of 'Sister' which meant she was being addressed as well.

Her own appearance was of course very disheveled, with dark circles under her eyes and a general exhaustion that permeated her whole body. She looked warily around her and finally spoke, granted she wasn't sure about what she should say, but since she was using a one of them as support to remain standing she figured it would be polite to make an introduction.
"I am Selina Altas... I'm trying to find the source of a dream that's been plaguing me for a long time."

She shook her head, the rustling of leaves accompanying the movement. "Thank you. The trip was a pleasurable one, the route had many intriguing plants along the way for the garden." Glancing to the now standing woman, she answered, "I am afraid not, and I assume you do not either." How curious.

As the woman revealed herself to be one Selina Altas, she nodded. "Greetings, Selina. The dreams you've had, whatever they may contain, have led you to us. You may rest now, for you are where you seem to belong." Her voice carried itself with a soft, almost motherly tone as she spoke. While speaking, she continued to rub the powder over Selina, casting away the exhaustion temporarily.

"What did this dream contain, sister?" Medea asked her, pulling her hand away once more.

Kamila rustled her way through the forest, the small insects singing their songs to eachother, and the birds chirping. What may have sounded like rabble and just random noises to others were music to her ears. Her raven flew above her, keeping an eye out for anything unsuspected.

The great bird lands in her shoulder and peaks at the air in front of them, telling her she was close to her sisters. Once she reaches them Kamila moves the bushes out of her way with some magic, letting them form back to their normal form once she has pasted them.

Looking over the other women she smiles and nods her greetings. The raven caws, “It is a pleasure to meet you all.” It says with a voice that sounded exactly like a young woman’s voice. “Please forgive my lady’s lack of a voice for she is not one to be able to speak without casting a spell.” The raven says,the blue glowing X mark on it’s chest lighting up a bit. “As you might imagine it takes a while to collect instructions from creatures as a result.”

They weren't hostile in any ways, in fact the one that helped her was applying some sweet smelling dried herbs to her forehead to ease some of her exhaustion. Another girl appeared that spoke through what she assumed was a raven familiar.
She was asked what her vision was by the druidic girl.
"I'm watching myself in a forest, performing a sharing ritual with the ghosts of dead wizards... It's not this forest. I am older in my vision and have far more power than I do now, from what I can tell... Perhaps years in the future."

Selina looked around them.
"I don't know why my vision led me here... Who are you? what is this place? why are we all here?"

Zafira made her way to the wood, her velvet cloak trailing behind her as she walked. Her footsteps, despite being in high laced tracking boots were quiet.

She hadn't felt an energy like this before.

Something about Alliria always attracted her. It was why she had moved there versus any other place after unfortunate events had occurred in Elbion. She'd loved the massive forest surrounding Alliria and had frequented the sparkling rivers and lakes so often that she had memorized the areas just based off of the plants and bushes there.

This place was different though. As if some primal instinct guided her, Zafira traveled into a direction she had never been too, so deep in the woods that for a moment Zafira wondered if she should stop to look behind her. She didn't though. Zafira was never known to be careful, so why should she start now?

Her green eyes, akin to the trees around her, landed on three women, all who looked so completely different from one another. A warmth spread across her as well as the light prickle of energy. Magic. The woman with the white hair was practically oozing it. She pulled down her cloak and offered a faint smile.

"I assume I am not the only one who felt compelled to come here today," Zafira said lowly, her voice laced with mischief. Honestly, she had no idea why she was here. She had no clue that that there would be other witched her, but looking at them and feeling the magic course through the air, Zafira had no doubt who they were.

Last edited:
The other witches arrived as if through a windfall.
Susan pointed her gaze at Selina one more time before beckoning with her hands at the other witches to come closer.

» This is the dawn of a new coven. Our coven. « » Perhaps this is what your dreams sought? But why?« Susana mused at the young lass before changing her attention to the others.
» Welcome sisters, I am pleased to meet you, I am the White Witch of Laggend. I think the coven making may wait, we should help the girl.«

"Pleasure, White Witch," Zafira said before turning to the other witches. "My name is Zafira,"

Zafira nodded, taking in the girl who looked as if she were about to fall over. She seemed to be about her age.

Zafira's unusually bright eyes morphed into a golden brandy color, her hands waving in front of the exhausted girl. Slowly, warmth should be passing over the girl as Zafira looked for her energy thread. Finding it, Zafira borrowed energy from her own self and placed it into the girl, reviving her into a more awake state. The solution was temporary and the woman would definitely have to sleep later, but for now, the energy should do.

"Better?" Zafira asked before sitting on a log and taking in her surroundings.

Selina felt rejuvenated from the magic the newcomer performed and she looked at her quizzically.
"Yes... thank you. I feel a bit better."
She looked at the white witch. She seemed like an elf, but didn't appear to be like any kind of elf she had ever seen.
"Did you say something about a coven?"
Immediately her thoughts went to back to the visit she received while participating in a magical tournament between the Academy of Vel Anir and the College of Elbion. She was lost in a magical maze and encountered a witch, this woman... well, a girl really... informed her that the college didn't hold all the answers to magic. And it was those answers she sought, the path to greater power.
But now she was beginning to understand what that girl meant... And why she was here now. Her vision may not have been directly related to this place, but that witch somehow planted the call of the coven into her mind on their first meeting.

She swallowed hard. She only knew what local legends told her of witches. She had never seen witchcraft practiced at the college and assumed it was forbidden magic... But now that she thought about it, it had to be more than that. The college is far from perfect, not infallible to prejudice, their enrollment procedures were proof enough of that.
Perhaps this was finally her chance to learn true magic and explore real power. And this is the perfect place to do so, without fear of harming others. The warded protective circles couldn't compare to this beautiful and abandoned glen... And with others helping her, perhaps even greater heights can be achieved!

This was an opportunity she couldn't pass up even if she tried. Her thirst for knowledge far outweighed her preconceptions of witchcraft... If this is where the path to knowledge led her, then she would follow it to the bitter end!
"If... If you are all here to form a coven... I would be honored to join you."
She started out haltingly and nervously, but as she went on she grew more excited.
"I can contribute with some knowledge of my own, I know several spells from the archives of the College in Elbion, as well as some I've made myself and am still developing... And I have ideas for more spells that we can study and learn collectively!"

The druidic witch drew her hand away from the girl's forehead, satisfied with its effect, as she listened to her description of the vision. Before she could respond, however, as two new witches came in through the wood, one speaking through a familiar of some sort.

Medea opened her arms in a greeting gesture, saying, "Welcome, sisters. I am Medea. It is a pleasure to see you both."

The voice of Selina drew her gaze once more, a smile slowly appearing on her face as the girl offered to join the coven. "Wonderful. Your knowledge will prove useful, I'm sure. I can teach you the basics of our craft, along with our sisters, if you need."

Looking to the coven as a whole, she began, "Now, shall we begin with our coven?"

Kamila Selina Altas Medea ZafiraJade

The white witch nodded as Zafira made her announcement. There were many now, perhaps there could be more, but one should not wish for more than they have, lest they fall into pitfalls of dissatisfaction.

» The magic of manfools serves us little, - young sorceress. When you join our covenant you will follow us in the walk between the leafsie lord and the earthern mother, and beneath the pit lords, thus the dukes, marquises and lords who commune with us.« The witch smiled softly, holding her arms together, locked in her lap.
It was clear that the two crones of the assemble have different views upon the magic of the wizards.

» So it shall begin, my sisters. The rite of creation shall commence. The flat stone at the side may prove a suitable altar for now. « Susan shifted to the side, walking towards the centre of the cromlech. A nice pyre could fit quite well here, however, the ground was less than ideal to draw witch chalk upon. Perhaps a simple circle dance will appease the deities instead.

Selina wasn't exactly sure what kind of ritual they were about to preform to form a coven. But Selina hadn't begun an in-depth study of rituals yet when she left the college. She knew the basics of warding and binding, perhaps it was a ritual that did something similar to a grand ward?

She saw the contrast between the two witches. The white witch spoke of several entities which she had never heard of, except for the pit lords and other such demons which she learned of in her conjuration classes.
She never considered the possibility of drawing power from other creatures, up to now she felt a certain bit of pride for being able to command magic without the aid of a powerful deity or magical bloodline. But what did she really know about the spiritual creatures? Could she use them?
Well, at least these women were willing teachers, as far as she could tell. Learning is one thing she does best.

She wished she had taken the time to craft a new arcane focus before she left the college, or even home. Thus far she had to rely on other physical components and ingredients to cast spells, and otherwise had no way to manipulate the tapestry of reality that was magic.
But even without her wand or a magically attuned crystal she could feel the nexus of magic that intersected in this grove. If they wanted to form a coven, they could pick no better spot than a veritable wellspring of magic, one of the many hearts of magic that crisscrossed this world.

Who knows... Many miracles have been known to happen to those who reside near such magical intersections. She might be gifted by the fount of magic to wield the weave without the aid of an arcane focus. But Selina could only surmise and hope in passing, she didn't entertain hopes that solely relied on possibility or fifty - fifty chance.
Just deal with the problem at hand, and let the gods sort out their affairs.

She knew a spell that would summon a magical circle around the stone altar, though the magical circle was designed as a ward to protect or restrain those inside. And again she was unsure about what kind of ritual they were planning on enacting, so she held the spell back for now.

Last edited:
Zafira hated to admit it, but she knew nothing of this realm of magic.

She felt completely unprepared - a rocking ship in an ocean of heavy, crashing waves. Zafira stayed silent though, listening to the white witch attentively.

They were about to do something. Again, Zafira hadn't had the faintest clues of what. Something in Zafira's fingertips buzzed though, an unexplainable excitement that told her that this coven was going to life-altering. Zafira relied on the feeling and nodded, prepared to learn from the group of unalike witches in front of her.

"The bird must fall before it may fly, sister. She knows little of our craft, the knowledge she has shall be her gateway," Medea replied, the voice maintaining its calm serenity. Though the white witch's perspective differed from her own in this matter, she was still a great aid in many of her own ventures.

She followed her sister to the cromlech, silently surveying the site. Her hand gave a faint motion, hardly noticeable in its slight movement, towards the rock. As she did so, vines began to crawl onto the stone as though guided by a mind of their own, weaving an intricate circle of foliage. Flowers bloomed at seemingly random locations though a witch would realize their relevance to the ritual, makeshift sigils and candles blossoming along the vines.

Dry roots began to gather together in the center of the site, ready to be set ablaze so that the rite may commence at last.

Medea ZafiraJade Selina Altas Kamila Sorry!!
----------

With a sweeping motion she removed the debris from the altar stone. Leaves, feathers and other dirt fell to ground not far away. The memory of it ever being anywhere else than there, quickly forgotten.

She untucked a small cloth that hung from her side. It was red, wine red and the white witch placed and flattned it across the stone. It was bare and empty for now, but perhaps one day they will fill it out with their magical whims? For now it will do.
She turned towards her new sisters, one question in her mind.
» And what, my sisters, will be the name of 'us'. I suggest The Daughters of the Leafsie Lord ... Perhaps The Hawthorne Coven...«

She watched the proceedings with rapt interest, standing outside the circle around the alter.
"I think the 'Daughters of the Leafsie Lord' sounds nice."
She didn't fully understand who the Leafsie lord was, but she could guess that he was deeply connected to the type of magic that they would be practicing.

"No complaints here," Zafira said a small smile on her face. She could care less about what they were called. Her interests lay in what she could learn from these women - all witches of different types.

Zafira wasn't experienced in the slightest in the type of magic the White Witch seemed accustomed to. She had never been to a coven, learned in the sense of nature, or the like. Her father was a physician, using his talents for the medicine of all.

»So we agree, « Asuego seemed surprised, but pleased, though she wouldn't have minded hearing other suggestions.
The Leafsie lord surely will be pleased and the white witch certainly was glad to be with her newly borne sisters.

» Hellebore and Jasperhoney for the Leafsie lord,...-« Asuego approached the pyrewood, adding the first two ingredients for the rite. She then turned to face the young Selina with a kind of reassuring look. There were many more things to offer to the Leafsie Lord for his approval, many things borne of green.

The sun was low on the sky, the forest growing noticeably colder and darker without a hint of redness in the above.
Only the birdsong grew louder.

Last edited: