Fable - Ask Cultic Murders

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
"Of course," Griffyn replied with a courtly nod. "I would be happy to meet these brother of yours, so do let me know when they arrive."

That way I can keep my eye on them, he added to himself.

"Now, if you'll excuse me. I should start interviewing some of the townsfolk. I daresay there's a hundred theories as to what occurred, but some may have some truth to it." With a smile, he moved back towards the crime scene and to Bask.

He crouched down by the body once again, eyes serious as though searching for further clues, but leaned towards Bask's hiding place.

"She seems nice," he remarked.

Bask looks at Griffyn with a look of displeasure

"Her kindness means nothing to me...They all disowned me,why should i care about their kindness?Now what did she say?" he says with a hiss

Bask begins to put away his knife,as his tongue flicks forward

Last edited:
Griffyn shook his head. "She gave me this, she thinks it's related to the murder."

He stretched out his hand, holding the jagged rock near the corpse. The cuts in the flesh were rough, bones broken, so it wasn't implausible to tie the item to the deed.

"She doesn't know anything else. I should warn you, apparently your brothers are on the way. Tine told me they are likely to know more than her."

He watched the naga for his reaction. It was grim, having such revulsion for your kin. Perhaps Bask's kind were truly that different, but to Griffyn the idea of holding such a grudge against his sister, his little brother, was truly abhorrent. Bask was even willing to draw steel at the sight of his siblings. It was a shame. Watching the creature now, Griffyn found sympathy creeping up inside him.

Bask looks at Griffyn...Knowing that he is questioning his grudge against his siblings and says

"Don't question my choices!You foolish human!You can't FATHOM what they did to me!"

Bask then began to slither away...With anger and regret for his past...Wishing that everything was a dream,thats when Bask was reminded...He can still feel pain,after all these years

Griffyn sighed as he rose back to his feet, watching the naga slink away. He truly didn't know what Bask had been through, and it was fair to say he couldn't imagine it either. He looked over his shoulder and saw that Tine had also disappeared from the crowd. He hoped the two wouldn't run into each other.

He shook his head in an attempt to dislodge his concern. There was nothing he could do about Bask's family history now. But he could still do his job.

---

Inside the cottage, he placed a steaming cup in front of the elderly woman, before taking a seat opposite her. The woman's kitchen was cluttered - Einid had explained that she had been half way through making breakfast when she had thought to check outside. The butter churner in the corner looked full, and a blackened loaf of bread sat disconsolately on the wooden counter by the ceramic stove. Einid looked down into her drink, expression blank. Griffyn sipped his own tea for a moment, giving her some space.

"I wonder what we are going to do next month at the market?" she said eventually, looking up slowly. "Gregory would always take the new crop down to sell. He knew where the stall went and who to talk to. I... don't know any of that." Her grief was spoken without the classic sadness of the recently bereaved, but with a matter-of-factness that chilled the young man. He cleared his throat.

"Can I ask you a few questions about him? I am trying to understand what happened last night."

She nodded, hands cupped around her drink.

"Was Gregory a popular fellow?" he asked. "Did he have many friends?"

"Oh yes," she replied. "He was always talking about his friends. He would always be running into them on his way back from the fields. Let's see..." Einid began to count on her fingers. "There was Torval and Stanley, Harrisson... The fellow he called Red..."

Griffyn smiled. "Sounds like a good group."

She nodded. "I suppose so. Not that I ever met 'em."

He hesitated then, looking away. "And, if I may ask... was there anyone he wasn't find of?"

Einid chuckled, catching Griffyn off-guard. "Oh, he did not like that priest!"

Griffyn's eyebrows raised. "A priest?"

"Fairly new in town. He set up shop, so to speak, on the east side of the town. Gregory was always complainin' about this and that the young fellow had been shouting, bloodshed this and sulphuric that. He sounds like a character!"

She laughed again, and Griffyn copied, though his suspicion was raised. His next destination was set.

Bask was still slithering away,thinking about his past...When he saw a suspicious figure standing alone in a ally...Bask decided to watch the figure and then the figure walked towards a group of four other people,Bask then slithered closer towards the group and said

"What are you all doing here?You seem to have something you want to keep secret from other people...Might i ask what?"

All of a sudden the five figures looked at Bask and then ran away...Bask told them to stop,so Bask decided to throw his knife at one of the figure...It hits one of them,but he pulls out the knife from his arm...They get away,but Bask picks up his knife and sees that he injured one of them

"This will be useful evidence" he said with a sly smile

Griffyn found himself in the town centre, in front of a long stone building with imposing wooden double doors. A young man was before these doors now. In his hands was a long parchment, and at his feet a bucket of some sort of homemade adhesive. He slowly unfurled the parchment as Griffyn watched, revealing neat writing in large, eye-catching lettering.

BE EVER VIGILANT
THE ENEMY WATCHES
AND NEVER SLEEPS

The young man stepped back, admiring his handiwork. Griffyn stepped forward, clearing his throat, and the man turned. Griffyn took in large eyes, a pale complexion and neatly combed blonde hair. His physique appeared soft but slender - a typical scholar. He smiled warmly as Griffyn approached.

"Excuse me. I don't believe we've met."

The man stepped forward, offering a hand. Griffyn took it, only then realising it was still slightly slick with whatever was in the bucket. They pulled apart from the handshake with effort, strings of glue hanging between them.

"S-Sorry." The young priest laughed nervously. "I clearly wasn't thinking. Don't worry, it comes right off with some warm water."

Griffyn nodded, stretching out his fingers to keep them from sealing together. "Not to worry. My name is Griffyn, from the city. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Another wide smile. "Not at all! I am Paetro, and am not strictly from anywhere. But you find me here! The fine folk of Caster's Edge were kind enough to lend me their hall for my comings and goings!"

Paetro laughed aloud, and Griffyn tried his best to match the other man's excuberant manner. "I was hoping to ask about the incident up at Gregory and Eidith's, on the north side of town?"

The priest tilted his head, comically canine. "What incident is that?"

Griffyn frowned. "The... The murder."

Paetro raised a sticky hand to his face. "There has been a murder?!"

"You haven't heard? I find that hard to believe."

"Oh, I am something of a late riser," said Paetro, expression grim. "News has a hard time reaching me. That way I am ever protected from wild rumour and speculation. Though a lazy nature also has a part to play." He chuckled mirthlessly. "Who has fallen this day?"

"Gregory," Griffyn reported. "His wife mentioned the two of you knew each other."

Paetro nodded. "I am sorry to say I am not surprised. Gregory was... an easy target."

"What do you mean by that?" Griffyn narrowed his eyes.

"His loud ways and brash nature, both signs of a weak spirit. The enemy no doubt had him in it's sights. I imagine there was some foulness in this incident? Not, shall we say, a traditional murder?"

The merchant's son hesitated. "No, it was certainly foul. And a pictograph was scrawled by the body. My associate and I believe there may be a demonic group at work."

A grim nod. "As I said, hardly surprising. Gregory, may he rest in peace, was a belligerent soul, and unwilling to take responsibility for his actions. Evensofar as to publically berate my teachings in the town square."

"Can you be more specific?"

Paetro folded his arms. "Gregory took umbridge with my sharing that dark elements harbour themselves in the souls of men and women. He seemed to think I was proposing some sort of witch hunt. Though, of course, with friends like that..."

"His friends?"

The priest's expression soured. "Oh, it's not what many would define as proper investigatory evidence..."

Griffyn waved a hand dismissively. "No matter, what do you think?"

"Not I." Paetro scowled, eyes down. "I was sent a dream by a Celestial messenger, of those four embroiled in the dark coils of a ebony snake. Their eyes and the eyes of the snake were the same. There was no mistaking it."

A chill ran up Griffyn's spine. "Do you know the names of these four accursed individuals?"

The priest told him, and Griffyn made a mental note. The same names that Eidith had mentioned earlier. But still only four. Who was this phantom fifth? Turning to face the square, Griffyn looked for Bask. Perhaps he had found some further luck in his investigation.

"Before I go," he said to the priest, "I think I ought to warn you about some visitors here in town. Since you probably haven't heard yet."

The reaction was to be expected. Griffyn was finally able to pull himself away once he had convinced Paetro to put away his pitchfork and firewood.

Bask looks for Griffyn but he sees something that horrifies him...He sees two other naga talking with Tine

"Damn her!" he said before slithering into a corner

"She brought Hydron and Ake here!Foolish sister!"

Bask slithers away to look for Griffyn to tell him the news

They reunited by the bridge out of town. Griffyn saw the naga only when he drew close, elliciting a muffled curse of surprise. Hand on his chest, he approached Bask and took a seat on a stone by the river's edge.

"I think I might have a lead," he reported, expression grim. "It's not an accusation that will hold up in a court, but these four friends of the victim might lead us somewhere."

He told Bask all he had learned from his conversations with the wife and the priest, including the cryptic dream.

"It sounds like an enitity is working some malign influence on some of the people in the town. Does that sound like anything you have heard of before?"

Bask looks at Griffyn with surprise and says

"Yes i have heard of that"

Bask then points at the gate,and there was three nagas their

"Those are the rest of my siblings...Hydron,Ake,and Tine" he said with a hiss

Griffyn hunched down as he inspected Tine and her two brothers. The three were standing close, whispering between themselves. Something about three naga together set off primal alarm bells in Griffyn's mind, and he found sweat forming at his brow. The people of the town were also giving the three a wide berth, unsurprisingly. It was good fortune that Griffyn had managed to warn them that the creatures would be seen around, and were not a threat, else there would have been serious consequences.

"I see," he said. "I'd like to see what your brothers know. Is that wise? Can they be trusted to tell the truth?"

He sighed, turning to Bask. "And I should ask, you don't think they are responsible for the murder, do you?"

Bask look at Griffyn with rage

"Yes,figure out what...They...Know...And they aren't responsible for the murders" he says

Bask looks at his siblings with hate and sadness

He nodded, frowning.

"Yes, I only hope your brothers are as accommodating as your sister. You keep looking for our four suspects while I see what they know."

Giving his co-conspirator a nod, Griffyn approached the trio of nagas. They looked up at his approach, and he gave a smile and a wave. Their eyes were bright, shining like miniature lamps. He could tell which was Tine immediately, which he found curious. The brothers had smaller frames and tighter muscle beneath their scales. Their expression, as always, was unreadable and alien.

"Hi there," the began cheerily. "Good to see you all. I hope you don't mind my joining your discussion."

Tine looks at Griffyn and smiles,she then proceeds to tell her brother something in another language

"So this is another person looking for answers" Hydron says with a gentle voice

"And it seems we must speak the common tongue,at that" Ake says with a firm tone

The three naga look at each other and finally say

"Yes,you may join us in our search"

"Um," Griffyn said with a blink. Their search? He had come here expecting to be the one to say that! "Well, thank you," he said at last. "I hope we can get this messy business sorted out quickly with cooperation."

He stood at ease, hands on his hips. He felt very much the odd one out, but he tried not to let that show.

"It sounds as if this is part of a bigger issue that you all have been investigating prior to now. Is that right? Could you fill me in on the details?"

Hydron looks at Griffyn with a grim expression and says

"Yes,i'm afraid that this isn't the first or last time we have seen something like this...Those symbols...Are...Dreadful"

Ake looks at Griffyn and studies him for a second and then says

"Someone is hiding here...The suspects that is...They will not far" Ake then goes to the entrance and blocks it,to stop people from coming in or out

Tine then looks at Griffyn with a smile and says

"It is dangerous to be alone...We should all stick together...Griffyn,gather everyone and tell them to stay inside for now...While we sort things out...We must question the rest of the people here quickly"

Hydron then nods in agreement and says

"Yes...We must question everyone...And Griffyn?If you see anymore of those symbols...Please let me know...Ok?"

Griffyn stepped forward with a frown.

"No, hold on. I appreciate that this is urgent, but could I get some more information before I start panicking the townsfolk?"

He stepped closer, lowering his voice to a whisper. "Just what is doing this? What creature is spurring these murders to take place?"

He looked about. Some of the people were watching the odd group curiously. The one fellow now unable to leave his house went a little pale, and looked over Ake's head at Griffyn with a questioning expression.

Hydron,Ake,and Tine looked at each other...After a few minutes,Hydron says

"I don't know what creature it is...But it appears to be able to control people"

Ake looks at Griffyn,questioning his judgement and says

"With all do respect,Griffyn...But i don't think you grasp the severity of the issue"

Hydron then looks at Ake with a look of displeasure and says

"Ake...You need to calm down...Griffyn has a point...We shouldn't rush things,we will only alarm everyone here"

Tine then looks at Ake and nods and says

"Hydron is right,brother...We will only be causing more problems"

Ake then looks away...But then turns back to look at Griffyn and says

"My apologies Griffyn...I am just very concerned about the situation" he gives a small bow

Abashed, Griffyn waved his hand dismissively.

"No, it's quite alright. I understand that this is a dangerous situation, and you want to solve it as quickly as possible. Just let me address the town, I'll make sure everyone is out of the way."

Bowing back to the nagas, he made for the centre of town, gesturing for the crowds to assemble.

"Everyone! It would be wise if you please went back to your homes and remained there until further notice! There is no need for concern, but for your safety it would be best to remain out of the open for the time being!"

The people of Caster's Edge murmured nervously to each other, and slowly began to disperse. Griffyn coaxed them on with gestures and smiles. As he did, he spotted the free hall door slightly ajar, and the eyes of Paetro peering from within. Griffyn approached.

"Best if you keep the door closed for a bit," he said, smiling faintly. "Would hate for your prophecy to come true here in the town."

"No indeed," seethed the young priest, eyes afire. "You won't see me opening the door to any godless reptile!"

Griffyn sighed. "I did ask you to be accommodating."

"Do not trust them, young lord!" Paetro closed the wooden door slowly, disappearing into the shadows. "To trust the naga is to invite death into your home! Beware!"

The door closed. With another sigh, Griffyn turned to view the empty square with a satisfied nod.

Bask appears out of the shadows of a corner...Seeming concerned about the current situation and he says

"Griffyn...Where am i supposed to go?I can't stay out in the open...My siblings will have a fit"

Bask looks around uneasily and says

"Damn...I'm not going to lose everything yet"

He goes back into a corner...Suddenly Tine slithers behind Griffyn,not noticing Bask...She looks at Griffyn with a serious expression and says

"We should get back to my brothers...They will want to examine the body further"

"Bask, wait...!" Griffyn hissed to the naga as he darted behind the back of the row of homes, before jumping with a start at Tine's voice. He turned, eyes wide, to face her.

"What? Oh, yes. Yes. Of course. I'll show you."

Griffyn walked a little stiffly back into the main square, meeting the other two nagas on the way. With a nod, he led the way up the hill and back to the cottage, where that hideous red stain continued to stare at him from the external wall. The body of Gregory had cooled, and was beginning to attract flies. With everyone hiding inside, Griffyn suspected he would be responsible for burying the fellow, now.

"Here," he said with a sigh as they reached the mutilated body. "I understand you may know a little more about the reasoning behind this gruesome act than I do."

Hydron looked at the body closely...Examining every detail,he finds something completely horrendous and looks away

Ake and Tine also sees what Hydron was looking at and they also turn away...Tine looks like she is trying to hold back tears

"Poor soul...I'm sorry...It seems i didn't recognize you at first...But now i understand,I'm sorry...Old friend" says Hydron and he closes Gregorys eyes

Tine then looks at Griffyn...Explaining to him about how Hydron knew Gregory...He was a follower in a ancient religion...One that Hydron knew of all too well

Griffyn's eyes widened at the tale. "Gregory was...-?" He almost said 'cultist', but didn't like the implications of the word, so he bit off his words and fell silent.

He took in the three nagas with interest, viewing the emotion clear on their reptilian faces with curiosity. Bask had never shown him what sadness looked like to his people. It certainly seemed genuine, and Griffyn's heart went out to Hydron and the others.

Still, the story of a simple village farmer taking on the ancient religion of the nagas sounded like a tall tale. But Griffyn remembered Paetro's recollection of the man and his aversion to certain Celestial views. Was it so farfetched? He would need to question the wife about this.

"I'm sorry," he said at last. "I didn't know he was so important to you. Does that mean that the murderers belong to a rival religious group, and killed him for his beliefs?"

Hydron closed his eyes and then said

"Yes...They did this to him,for what he was apart of...What he worshiped...What he believed"

Ake looks at Gregorys body with rage and says

"I'll kill the bastards that did this...Atrocity...Justice will be served"

Tine looks at Ake and says

"Brother...Theirs not much we could d-"

Just then yelling can be heard between two people...Outside two nagas appear to be having an argument

One naga says

"They'll have your head for this...You traitor"

The other naga...Is...Bask?and he says

"Quiet you fool...You know nothing of those events...Your just a pawn and servent,your expandable"

Griffyn blanched, sensing impending violence. He stepped forward towards the arguing pair.

"Hey, calm down!" he commands as best he can. "There has been enough bloodshed here already! I don:t truly understand what has gone on between the four of you, but I sincerely doubt that we can't discuss it like adults!"

He stepped towards Bask, one hand on the naga's shoulder.

"Maybe reduce the offensive language a little," he whispered. "You're a bit outnumbered here."