Fable - Ask Cultic Murders

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
A naga appears from a corner and slither forth...He peers out and looks around

"Ah...Yes...Their is the issue" he says with a hiss

Griffyn folded his arms as he looked down at the mess that had been wrought. Fortunately he had decided not to eat today. The fellow's innards had been opened up fully and completely, revealing bone, organ and tendon. The reason was clear, in a sense - whoever or whatever had done this deed had proceeded to use the large man's fluids to paint a startling pictograph on the exterior wall of cottage. An upside-down figure, with wriggling lines all around. They looked like snakes.

Standing out on the porch with the investigators was the man's widow, wringing her apron.

"Ooh, masters! Have you ever seen such a thing in your life?"

Griffyn spared the woman a sympathetic glance. "Lady, I have not. We are at least fortunate that such grim acts are seldom seen here on the Reach."

Then he glanced the other way, at his new colleague. The naga was watching the corpse a little too intently for Griffyn's liking.

"What about you, Bask?" he asked. "Ever seen anything like this?"

Griffyn nodded, crouching down to examine the corpse closer.

"I am no monster hunter," he said quietly so that the poor woman could not hear, "but it seems to me that this sort of thing could not be done by human strength. Not without some sort of..." He paused to breathe deeply, subduing his sudden bout of nausea. "...some sort of scooping or separating tool."

Bask looks at him with a scowl

"Not likely...Look at the way the marks are...That was done by actual human hands...The marks are in five lined rows" he says

Griffyn nodded with a sigh. "Perhaps I only wished that no human would be capable of this."

He leaned closer, as close as he dared. "Five sets, you say? So we are looking for a group? That should narrow our search somewhat, as we won't need to find five strangers."

He gave a mirthless chuckle. "A problem other than the five psychotic townspeople? Do tell."

Griffyn considered his fellow investigator. He had promised the people of Caster's Edge that the naga wouldn't eat their children, nor do any other the other atrocities attributed to the snake-like species in common folklore. And for the time being, Bask seemed intent on solving the mystery at the heart of this grisly murder. But just how far could he be trusted?

Bask looks outside to see other people walking around calmly...Until they saw him,in which case they looked terrified of him

"Untolerable rejects" he says with a hiss..."I don't understand how my siblings tolerated these...Creatures"

Griffyn eyed his colleague with a raised brow. "Yes, we do take some getting used to, don't we?"

Had this been a mistake? The slithering entity clearly knew a thing or two about disembowelment, but would his expertise be worth it to catch these five killers?

He sighed. "Talk me through this," he said at last, standing and brushing his knees. "What do you think happened here? How did this man die?"

The naga looks at Griffyn with a look of displeasure and says

"Judging by the way the body was left...It happened recently,and it seems he was attacked while still alive...It seems they were trying to take out his organs for sacrificial purposes,when they where discovered they fled and the man bled to death"

Bask looks behind him and see what appears to be...Another naga?Bask looks at the naga and then quickly slithers into a corner,seemingly trying to hide from the naga

"Tine?What is she doing here?" he said with anger

The naga appeared to be female and she was talking with a local about the events that have been going on

"How great...My sister...Tine,the Serpent of Wisdom is here" Bask says with hate

"How did they find this man?" Tine asked the local,who explained everything he knew

"Curious" she says before saying under her breath "I hope that Bask isn't behind this...He is already in enough trouble with Hydron and Ake"

Griffyn scratched his chin thoughtfully. It felt like the right thing to do.

"So there's a chance that someone in town saw something. That's good, that gives us an in to..."

He looked up at Bask, blinking when he realised he had missed something. Following the snake's eyes, he spotted the newcomer with a grimace.

"Oh, good. This will help everyone calm down."

He glanced back at his fellow investigator out of the corner of his eye. "Some bad blood?"

Bask hissed at Griffyn

"She is my sister...And unlike some naga...She is actually somewhat nicer to other people...And yes,she is one of my three siblings that disowned me"

Bask looks at Tine from around the corner and says

"Stupid sister...Always knows everything,at least that's what she think"

Bask begins to say something else under his breath,but it's in another language that Griffyn doesn't recognize...He then pulls out a curved knife,used for amputation just in case

Last edited:
Griffyn raised a hand covertly to Bask, in equal measures amused and alarmed.

"Hold on, before you go running steel through your kin! We might be able to use someone who knows everything. I'm assuming you two share an interest in the macabre? And I would also like to know what she's doing here..."

He glanced at Bask's sister. Physiologically there was little to distinguish them, but he wondered if that wasn't a glimmer of mirth in her slit eyes, a gregarious gesture made with clawed fingers. The target of her questioning certainly hadn't fled screaming, which was a good sign.

"Feel free to stay here, I'll go ask her some questions."

Bask looks at Griffyn concerned

"As long as she doesn't start questioning you to much...She has a way,she can see the truth in ones eyes" he says

Tine finishes talking with the local and says "Hydron and Ake should be here soon...But for now,i will gather more information"

Bask stays in the corner,trying to keep a low profile...After all,he does have a bounty on his head

"Hopefully she doesn't see me...As long as Griffyn answers any questions honestly...We can avoid detection,but for now i'll wait for Griffyn" he says

Last edited:
He nodded at Bask, noting the concern in the snake's eyes, and moved off towards the group congregating around 'Tine'. He affixed his winning smile and brushed off his shirt. First impressions were everything - in business as well as in investigatory work. The townsfolk quickly allowed him space as he approached.

"Excuse me," he said to the naga. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Griffyn."

He extended a hand for the naga to shake, noting the names on her lips as folk Bask had also mentioned in passing - the much-maligned other siblings.

"I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions? There has been a tragic incident here in Caster's Edge, and I am hoping to provide a bit of closure for these good people."

He saw the nods and smiles of the townsfolk out of the corner of his eye. Though he hadn't mentioned his pedigree to anyone here, he knew something about the psychology of practical, salt-of-the-earth settlements such as this - when something outside their experience occurs, people like to look to someone else to make the decisions. Be they noble, martial or just confident and well-spoken. Griffyn hoped to provide that small comfort to them, the comfort of knowing that someone was taking action to bring their lives back to normality.

Tine looks at Griffyn and then bows her head before she says

"Salutations,It a pleasure to meet you Griffyn...My name is Tine,and yes ask away"

She lifts her head again and looks Griffyn in the eyes,she studies his facial features for a second and shakes his hand,curious to hear his questions

Meanwhile Bask continues to watch the conversation progress,and looks at Tine...But with a look of hate and slight...Sadness?

Griffyn smiled, put at ease by the naga's polite nature.

"Have you seen the body over yonder?"
he asked, gesturing at the corpse lying in front of the cottage. He'd eventually need to set some lads to getting the poor man buried, once they had collected all the clues there were to find. "The whole thing has a bit of a sinister air to it. I was wondering if you had seen anything resembling the markings on the wall before. Any details at all will help us find the fiends who did this."

He watched her carefully. He was finding that it was difficult to read facial cues with a species such as the naga, so alien to humanity in their physiology. Still, any hint that she knew more than she was letting on would have to be noted. Whatever Bask said about five human culprits, two naga showing up the day of a fiendish murder (with a possibility of two more yet to come) could not be written off as coincidence.

Tine looks at Griffyn with much sadness and says

"Yes...In fact i saw the body earlier today,as for the markings on the wall...No those markings are not known to us naga,but the body itself is the real mystery"

She looks pretty upset about the situation and seemingly trying to figure out the situation as well

"The body was left in the most unfathomable position...Surely he was probably attacked while he was still alive...But his hands speak a different story,his hands suggest a struggle between five others,i also found this on the floor" she says before raising what looks to be a piece of stone

"I believe this was the weapon used to carve into the man" she says,confidently

Griffyn looked down at the stone in her hand with concern.

"What makes you say that?" he asked. "It looks like quite a simple weapon for such an act. I was thinking the culprit would have to use something more, um, industrial, given the extent of the damage."

And why do you have it? he wondered silently. Still, perhaps any suspicion was unwarranted. Bask seemed to think humans had murdered the man, and if he suspected his sister at all Griffyn was confident the naga would have said something.

"May I ask also, what brings you to Caster's Edge? We do not see many naga here on the Reach."

Tine then looks Griffyn and smiles

"Well,it's not often that i get to explore and interact with new people and towns...When i heard about this...Case...I decided to go ahead and figure out what i can here,my two brothers might find some of this information useful in order to find the culprit" she says,before giving Griffyn the stone to look at it

Bask seems to be surprised when she mentions his other brothers...And with equally anger

Tine then looks at Griffyn in his eyes and says

"Your not here alone,are you?After all you did say that you were trying to look for the culprits...And this isn't a one man job"

Griffyn hesitated, remembering Bask's words: she can see the truth in your eyes.

"I'm... the only man working on this," he said. "And I came here alone. Of course, I would appreciate any assistance you and your family could offer."

He looked away, examining the stone in his hand. It had some heft to it, certainly, and a jagged edge that could in theory do some damage. But to open up a grown man with this would take considerable strength. Or, failing that, a ruthless dedication and a fair amount of time.

"Do your brothers know much about this sort of symbology?" he asked. "I'll confess this is not my area of expertise."

Tine looks at Griffyn and says

"My oldest brother Hydron might know...Do you mind waiting for his arrival?My other brother Ake will be with him too,he might want to secure the place"

Tine is slightly curious about Griffyn's story,but for now she lets it go

Bask looks around the corner again and says

"Thats a relief,for a second their i thought he was busted"

Bask decides to look at Griffyn and tries to get his attention

Last edited: