Private Tales Crosswinds

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He rolled his eyes at her words, though a smile crossed his lips as he tucked the information away for later. Opening his mouth to respond, he instead found himself fumbling with the sudden bundle of the cloak as Khehe thrust it into his arms. As expected, the warlock's gaze was averted until the transformation was over.
"I suppose that'll work." He offered a sidelong glance at the dove on his shoulder.

Pulling a line from the bottom of his bag, Vulpesen simply tied the bundled cloak to it then continued on his trek. He was eager to get to the next town where a few gold would add some normalcy to their situation. "How long has it been since you last talked to mortal civilization?"

Khehe

His mild exasperation pleased her. She adjusted to remain perched atop him, hopping about his shoulders and even directly on the back of his head while he packed up the cloak. When he finally began walking, she had resumed her place on his shoulder and made herself rather comfortable.

The day was beautiful. Her dark, beady eyes took it all in with jovial eagerness. She could barely remember the last time she had walked a path similar to this one. The forest looked different from then. It was thicker, taller, stronger. She was sorry he was embarrassed because she yearned to run, to feel the wind on her face, her heart beating and her lungs burning.

Surprised by his question, she turned away from her introspection and gauged his expression while she thought about her answer to that question. What degree of honesty was expected from a six-month long exchange of services?

"A while," she said carefully. She kept the usual cheerfulness in her tone, but the undercurrent of sorrow snuck its way past her defenses. Khehe gazed out at the trees in thought. "Do you mean besides the villagers in Ecrin? I used to talk to them sometimes. Lots, actually. I once lived there among them. But after… after I was pinned to the valley, things changed."

She ruffled her feathers indignantly at the mere thought of being sad about it. She was done with feeling that now.

"So maybe… a few centuries? Maybe six or seven? I have not been anywhere else for a millennia." Saying it out loud made that feel so much longer. She fell silent. She had been away from home for a thousand years. Now it was impossible not to feel sad. Khehe was grateful she was a damn bird so she didn't look sad as well.

"Which is nothing to a sidhe," she added suddenly. "A blink of an eye that I will surely forget like a dream after I've awakened."

The Fae's caution didn't go unnoticed, though Vulpesen made no mention of it. She could deny answering him all together, and he would be fine if a bit bored. Her answer however, rose a brow as he pondered the idea of such isolation. A zorren could live as long as a thousand years, but the idea of spending more than half of that locked away in a forest against his will was abhorrent.

"Well. I hope you many happy centuries to make up for your lost time." The twinge of sadness in her voice brought a bit of regret for his question. Painful subjects were something he had some experience in, and he didn't enjoy the idea of his curiosity bringing pain. "If the centuries are like a dream, then I can only imagine what this trip will be like for you."

It often amazed him the longevity of the fae. Varos had been there for the birth of his entire race, caused it even. They were ancient beings on a scale that he couldn't fathom. Still, time did pass for them and the end came for all, event he fae, or so he believed.

Khehe

"Ah, well. It will definitely be brief. But if you are at all interesting, the memories of this short journey will last my lifetime, giving a part of you life beyond your own lifespan." She giggled, clearly having recovered from her momentary gloom. "I will not so quickly forget your help. I would have given you a decade if you had asked for it, for even that is nothing. I have lived many times over what was wasted in Ecrin and I am still a sidhe in my prime. I shall see millennia more."

The little bird on his shoulder tipped her head, one dark eye regarding him. She studied him for a long moment.

"How long have you been a warlock?" Khehe asked. Hopefully it was an answer that he could give. Some pacts restricted the divulging of such details, after all. "And what sort of mortal are you? I've been to many places and seen many kinds, but never yours. Do you have any more exceptional features besides the tail?"

She craned her head to look back over his shoulder, then pecked his ear. Real enough. Still suspicious, she asked, "You're not a shapeshifter, are you?"

He'd be lying if he said the thought of an immortal memory didn't please him. "I've been in service to my master for a little over a year now. Long enough to learn the extent of my powers, though not really enough to increase them just yet. Hopefully with your aid, that will change."

Her second question brought a slight hesitation from him and for a few slow seconds, all that would be heard was the crunch of dirt and gravel beneath his boots. Secrets had power, especially for a servant of Varos. Though, perhaps this secret was one best divulged before it came back to bite him like the bird that was nipping at his ear, which batted at her in return, though the illusionary human ear would remain still. "I am a Zorren. We live deep in the forests of the Ixchel, and I do have a few things beyond my tail that set me apart. As for shapeshifting, my abilities are given to me by my lord. Though much of my power is gained through holding secrets, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't mention my heritage to those we meet."

Khehe

She felt an ear under her beak and saw an ear, but something not quite unseen swatted at her. Ah! So he was hiding more! She tipped her head to inspect it better, one silvery eye moving curiously.

A year as a warlock. No time at all by fae standards, but impressive that he had lasted this long. She couldn’t smile as a bird, but she ruffled up and looked quite smug. Of course she’d improve his powers. If he even became a fraction as skilled as she was with her elements, then he’d be a credit to his species.

And a weird species it was. He paused, almost reluctant to divulge, and Khehe was nervous that he was a shapeshifter. She’d never heard of Zorren, but then again she’d not traveled in the Ixchel Wilds much. And what did a few things mean? What else was there? The dove leaned to look down his whole body, curious what that meant.

“Oh, I am great at keeping secrets,” she reassured him. “I’ll keep your secret if you keep mine. You and I shall be quite powerful together.” She tweeted in amusement. “I’m assuming fae are still unpopular in mortal crowds these days? Times never really change.”

She sighed and ruffled her feathers to settle down comfortably again.

“How are the Courts these days?” she asked. Then a moment later, she giggled. “Nevermind. I’m sure they’re all the same as before. A thousand years isn’t long enough for them to change, either. Unless I’ve missed a war?” She looked intensely at Vulpessen. “Did I miss a war?”

"I wish I could give you a certain answer to that. My own experience hasn't exactly been negative as a warlock. Of course, people will notice my powers, so it's a hard secret to keep. Rather, I hide my race to ensure that my powers stay strong." Her next question and its subsequent designation as rhetorical, brought a smirk to the warlock's lips.

"Not to my knowledge. I haven't had much need to pay attention to fae politics, but my master mentioned no such wars in his lessons."
His eyes returned once more tothe path ahead and Vulpesen let out a slight groan. "What I'd pay for a horse right about now."

Khehe

“Clever,” she giggled. How powerful she could have been if her magick had been fueled by secrets. As it were, she was shackled to the leys like most other fae. His patron must surely have been a duanann to grant that sort of power.

Nothing of note, then. A shame. Titania must have been burning up in Vhora, sitting on her thumbs and fuming like the brat she was, and Mab must still be living in her stupid little games. All unappealing to Khehe.

What was appealing was this very curious creature upon whose shoulder she’d hitched a ride.

“You don’t have to pay for a horse.” There was definitely mischief in her little voice. Khehe chuckled to herself. “But if you’re already tired, we are not far from a ley line. It’s been just out of my reach, but I can feel it now.”

And she could. Khehe closed her eyes. The line thrummed like a hive of bees in her bones. She could almost feel its restorative power reaching toward her with tendrils like fingers.

“Can you sense it?” She opened her eyes and looked to Vulpesen. “Has your master taught you how to use it?” She assumed so, but at only a year old, it was better to ask.

Vulpesen's ears flicked at the mention of free travel. While certainly not one steal something so valuable, he had an idea that what she had in mind would remove the beast from the equation entirely. "Aye, I can sense it, but master hasn't taught me how to ride them just yet. Says that I'd likely get ripped apart if I tried it on my own." The idea of flitting around the world as a stream of magical energy certainly had its appeals. unfortunately, such appeals were dampened by the idea of being scattered across the world in a messy albeit beautiful magical mangling.

Shifting his path, Vulpesen started towards the line. Even if he hadn't a clue on how to effect it, his master had hinted to the possibility that a fae could assist him in such travels. Considering Khehe's apparent powers, it was at least worth an examination to see if she could safely see the pair through. "Would you still remember how? I assume its been a while since you last made the attempt."

Khehe

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Khehe
Khehe hummed, a sound that was neither approval nor disapproval at his master’s negligence.

“Well he isn’t wrong, your master. Becoming one with the aether is easy, but keeping all of your bits in one place and pulling them out are more challenging. Even young fae must learn. It is not inherently easy, even for beings of magick.”

He turned in the right direction, confirming that he could in fact sense it. She launched into her little lesson from his shoulder.

“Young fae are taught by their parents or tutors. We can, with some effort, take others with us, but it limits the distance and speed of our usual travel. Distance and speed, of course, vary by individual and species anyway. A duanann would not be hard pressed to take a human through with them (if they noticed the baggage at all), but a nymph would barely make it anywhere without dropping them. A brownie would never get them into the leys in the first place.

"And you would be ripped apart if you did it wrong. The aether would break you down into millions of little pieces and scatter you across Arethil, if it ever spit you out at all. That's the stuff of scary stories for fae children: being consumed by the leys and your psyche trapped between forever.”

She made a spooky ooo and then, with a giggle, paused to offer him the chance to ask questions. As a creature not native to such things, he surely did have them. She expected things like, what does it feel like, or, how does it work.

Not are you sure you can? Khehe’s feathers ruffled up and for a bird, she looked very indignant.

“Of course I remember how!” she blurted in response. Then, with an indignant trill, turned around to put her tail to him, facing behind them. “The audacity! Forgetting how to travel the leys!” she muttered in faerie. Bird Khehe ruffled her feathers again, but looked back over her wing at him.

“I am Khehe, daughter of Umbre, daughter of Allm. I am the Wind in the Valley, and a sidhe older than Kings and Queens. I do not forget anything,” she said in a crisp, matter-of-fact way. “You take me to that ley and it will be me teaching you.”

Damn his master and whatever rules he’d set. She was a puff of temper as she faced behind them once again, still muttering in faerie to herself.

Her lesson was much what Varos had told him when Vulpesen had first learned of travelling the lines. Though, being forced to listen once more of the possible consequences was enough to make him a bit queasy. Certainly not a fate he would wish on a person, the added idea of having his psyche trapped in the magical place was an added horror that made him thankful he had enough recurring nightmares to not worry about another.

Khehe's outburst at his question however, did assuage his fears and he couldn't help but laugh as she turned away, her miniscule huffs of indignation tickling his ear. "Well miss Wind of the Valley, forgive me if I'm a bit cautious with the idea of by body being torn asunder." He gave her perched upon shoulder a slight hitch, playfully bumping the fae up as he continued his walk. "But your teaching will be most appreciated. If you're memory is anywhere near as good as you suggest, I will be happy to have my fears proven foolish."

Despite his apparent support of Khehe's confidence, his hand still reached into his cloak, producing a small flask which he would quickly unscrew and bring to his lips. The last time a fae had taught him magic, even though safe, the experience hadn't been wholly present. His bones still ached when he thought of the first time Varos had him shift his form.

Khehe

"As if," she began indignantly from her perch, "I would allow you to come to any harm." She harumphed to his attempt to ply her with playful compliments. She would not be swayed! She pecked his ear to say as much without having to speak to him again.

The ley was, as she had said, a short walk away. Unfortunately for Vulpessen, the sidhe's definition of "nearby" was another two hours of walking. She did not wait for him to get all the way there before flitting down from his shoulder. Still vexed by his earlier teasing, she disregarded his delicate modesty and well rested as the passenger, she ran ahead of him through the thinning underbrush.

"Can you feel it?" She called back, her voice rising in girlish excitement. "Hurry up!"

To those who knew what to look for, evidence of the leys was not just metaphysical. The forest thrived here, lush in all its seasons. At this point of this line, a string of blackberry bushes were heavy with fruit, but Khehe paid them no mind; it was not nourishment of the body that she sought. She ran right to the vein of magick and planted her feet.

Few feelings came close to that of connecting to the ley lines. For the first time in a thousand years, she felt the rush of new magick flow through her. The toll of time was struck from the record with a single, deliberate swipe of the hand. Khehe let out a delighted giggle as she stretched and her wings thrummed. She'd made it out! She wasn't doomed to dining that stupid valley, removed for too long from the font of magick that was her lifeblood.

When she had drank her fill, she spun on the ball of her foot to prance joyfully back toward Vulpesen. She waved her hand to cast the image of a pink gown over her petite form. For his comfort, of course. Now that she had magick to spare, it was no problem at all. The faux skirts swished playfully as she approached. If he wanted to look beyond the glamour, he very well could, but this was a modicum of cover for his sake.

"Ah, how good it feels to have magick back! I thought for sure I'd expire in that stupid valley, just out of reach!" Her smile aged her small features and there was an earnest warmth in her tone. Khehe did not linger on the sentiment for long.

"Can you feel it now? Come here. Stand right here and close your eyes. Really feel it. This one runs as deep and strong as a river." Khehe reached for his hand and, leading him to stand over the line, closed her eyes and sighed like a sated lover. "Isn't it just wonderful?"

"If I came to harm, who else would you hitch a ride on?" His ear flicked once more as she pecked it and he shook his head from the attack. "Oi!" Reaching up, he rubbed the side of his ear, now tender from the repeated attacks of her beak.

The walk was a quiet one from there, and Vulpesen could only thank his previous training for his ability to stand the long march. "I guess it's a good thing that I'm used to long walks." Despite his words, the zorren let out a sigh of relief as they reached the ley line, where once more he was reminded of the wilder nature of the fae as Khehe danced about.

Still, even if he had to deal with her lack of regard, it was nice to see his companion enjoying herself as the power of ley lines flowed through her. It was even nicer to see that he could finally look up without averting his eyes from the sidhe. "Looks like it was worth the wait. I'm happy I could help you get here." Walking over, he reached out to Varos, asking the same question that she had asked him.

Within him, he could feel their contract as his master gave his reply. A conduit that acted as the gate between the mortal and the power of the fae realm. Allowing Khehe to guide him, he stepped into the lush center of the line. he felt the door open and power rushed through him. Like a warm river, it flowed through his body, lighting up his senses and bathing him like a warm hot spring. "It's fantastic," the warlock murmured as he took it in.

He was sincere enough to satisfy her. Khehe did not release his hands, just in case. Warlocks were generally oversized children and required the same teaching, especially where magick was involved. It was not his fault he had been born mortal, and he seemed very invested in learning to use the gifts his master had given him.

"Has your master taken you to catch a conduit?" she asked. Then, after a moment of studying him, made a sound that fell somewhere between disappointed and ponderous. "No, of course not. Patrons these days! Has he been letting you fend for yourself? With strange new magick?"

Khehe muttered in faerie and flipped his hands up to cradle hers in them. There was a rush of wind and a spiral of air formed above her palm. I figure that shifted like a pillar of smoke and mist appeared, a lithe form vaguely humanoid with two blinking gold eyes like motes of dust in sunlight.

"A sylph," she explained. "My sylph. Even sidhe need a helper from time to time." She smiled. "He has been sleeping for a very long time."

Khehe lowered her head to touch her nose to the sylph, who arched upward to greet her. When she looked up to meet his gaze, there was something sincere in her pale eyes -- a sadness that formed a delicate crease between silvery brows and dulled the kind smile she offered him.

"We were away from the leys for far too long. Much longer and I might have lost him. I owe you a debt."

She closed her hands abruptly and turned away. The sylph disappeared. She placed her feet heel-to-toe as she began to walk the ley.

"Conduits come in the five elements: water, air, earth, fire, and light. Fae and warlocks seek one that corresponds with their own born elements. I took a sylph because I am of air, but I could have also taken an undine, since I am also of water. They work like a uh, a safety valve, sensing when you've drawn too much and closing the connection between you and magick. It is a very simple matter to catch one and strike up a deal. Every warlock should have one if they are to learn magick." She threw a mischievous grin over her shoulder. "And that is what you want to do, yes?"

Once more at the mention of catching conduits, Vulpesen merely stared at the sidhe as though she were speaking gibberish, or some unknown language. "To be fair, I've fended for myself quite well so far. A sword and a few spells comes in handy, though perhaps some help would come in handy."

Bringing his eyes to their hands as they were turned upwards, he tilted his head at the shift int he winds and its sudden swirl which coalesced into a creature that might have most aptly been described as the fairies he had learned of as a child.

Of course, amid the sadness and sincerity, came five words that spoken by a fae, could never escape his notice. Varos had trained him too well for that, though whether or not he had the heart to take advantage of them was another matter. "A sylph may work for me as I've heard my master mention a use of wind. However, his abilities usually stem from the shadows," he mused before falling into a contemplative silence.

"How would I catch a conduit of light?" He finally asked after some thought. If there were but five elements then odd as it might be, light was likely what Varos called upon, even if by some strange alteration. Following after Khehe, Vulpesen allowed the ley energy to continue to flow through him. While he didn't attempt to hold onto the magic, just feeling it course beneath his feet and through his body was something of a small delight.

One foot in front of the other, Khehe followed the ley with tiny steps.

“A sylph would be a good choice.” She giggled. “Of course, I am biased to think so.”

She hummed in audible thought when he inquired after the conduits of light.

“Light alignments are rarer for fae, as I’m sure you know well. Will-o-the-wisp are equally rare in nature and are tricky things. But if that feels right for you, that should be the one. You could always ask your master what he has if you do not know and you would like the same.” Khehe shrugged. It made no difference to her what he chose, but it meant everything for his magick. “My honest suggestion, however, would be to pick what feels right to you. Or we could see a hag. Lovely creatures, hags! An experienced granny could read you for what’s right if you’re unsure.”

Coming to a stop, the sidhe turned on her heels, took a wide stance, and braced her hands on her hips.

“What will it be? The future awaits!” She grinned, her silvery eyes flashing with eager excitement. Finally! She could see the world again. She was free to fly and roam. And with a shapeshifting companion, she could truly fly. Khehe was ready to go right then; she’d waited centuries for this very moment and the power of the leys was laced through her. Every fiber of her being was awakened.

Vulpesen mulled over her words, his tail flicking behind him as he glanced about. Conduits and ley line travel were things he hadn't expected when he took his master's contract. "I've heard of hags before, but given the tales that we mortals tell, lovely is not the word I would use to describe them." Indeed, most of the tales including hags, even among the deeply forested Zorrens did not cast them in a beneficial light. Changelings and curses were their work and disappearances in the woods often laid the blame upon hags.

"But for right now, I think we can focus on the task at hand. We'll focus on me getting a familiar when we're not focusing on keeping the ley lines from tearing me into magical sunders to be scattered about the world." Despite the grim prospect, he matched her smile with his own as he joined her on the line, letting its power flow through him.

Khehe